Typeface Replacement

Dan Bowling

Mar 21, 2009, 3:50:33 PM3/21/09
to missoula-web-d...@googlegroups.com
Many designers are using sIFR to replace typefaces on their website. It's hard to use, and requires Flash... bleh!

A new contender has entered the field, and I figured I'd share. http://cufon.shoqolate.com/generate/

Cameron Moll has a great writeup that discusses the strengths and weaknesses. This might be a viable alternative, given the restrictions.

Does anyone here actually do any font replacement with live client work now?

Dan

Cliff

Mar 21, 2009, 4:05:17 PM3/21/09
to missoula-web-d...@googlegroups.com
I currently don't bother.  I pine for the day that firefox or chrome finally support CSS3 font face embedding, but alas, they have decided not to.  The writeup you linked to indicates that @font-face is held up because of EULA issues, but that is only half-true.  Microsoft's implementation of the CSS3 standard uses the .eot filetype which does face licensing issues (why it is an EULA issue, I don't know, end user licensing isn't at issue, developer licensing is) but that doesn't prevent Firefox or Chrome from using an alternative file format that doesn't have license restrictions.  Safari, for example, also supports CSS3 font-face embedding and uses ttf files.  If firefox added ttf support, do you really think IE8.1 would be far behind?  :)

I can dream...right?

-Cliff