IT Pro Group

Cliff

Jun 1, 2010, 2:55:53 PM6/1/10
to missoula-web-d...@googlegroups.com, ms-...@googlegroups.com, msla...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,

With the new month, I thought I'd throw out an idea to the various groups I'm in. Some have gone defunct, others seem ot struggle to find an audience, or the audience struggles to find a reason to gather.  One of the issues that seemed to come up was that we'd gather and there wasn't enough content to jsutify the meeting.  There are different subgroups of people with wildly different needs and interests, but most of them have those needs because they work in I.T. in some way or another.

A second issue I've noticed is that vendors are having difficulty getting their message out to the IT community here in Missoula, and that in-turn, means that various IT problems may have solutions we aren't hearing about because the message is out there in the ether, but we aren't getting it.  Microsoft has quit doing technet tours to Missoula alteogheter because of poor attendance, the last EMC event had three people at it, and we aren't even on the radar for companies like Cisco, Kaseya, or similar.

If there is an interest, I'd like to propose the organization of an IT Pro Special Interest Group (SIG) that can help revitalize the "community" in the IT community.  My overall vision is that it would exist to help foster the sharing of knowledge among IT professionals who run into specific administrative issues, as well as provide a platform and avenue to disseminate information, provide new content through presentations and group meetings, and have a power-base to approach vendors as well as have them approach us.

The details of the group and its mission, operation, and organization, would....to be successful...be member driven.  So I throw this out to all of you.  Anybody interested in helping me get this started?

-Cliff