Major Updates to the API!

Nathan Esquenazi

Apr 25, 2011, 11:30:56 PM4/25/11
to misoapi
There have been multiple important enhancements to the API. Primarily,
there are the addition of four new resources: Badges, Feeds,
Notifications, and Episodes. This allows for critical functionality
not before available on this platform.

Be sure to checkout the endpoints documentation for our API:
http://gomiso.com/developers/endpoints for the full technical details.
Below is a quick summary of the conceptual resources now available.

Badges

For badges, we now provide the same functionality to all third-party
developers that we have on our iPhone. You can get a list of all
badges or the badges in a particular category along with the awarded
status for the current user. This allows third-party applications to
be aware of the badges achieved by our users.

http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/badges.json
http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/badges/featured.json

Feeds

We always allowed access to the checkins for a particular user or
media but we didn't before provide direct access to our 'feed'. Our
feed contains many types of posts beyond checkins. The feed also
supports 'vote' posts, 'ratings', 'notes', and 'links'. This API is
the first step to allowing third-party apps the opportunity to display
information from our rich feeds. In this iteration, we have not yet
exposed the ability to create non-checkin posts but that will be
coming in a future release. For now, this api provides the ability to
access the 'home' feed for a user along with the feeds for any media
or user profile.

http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/feeds.json
http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/feeds/home.json

Notifications

On the iPhone application and the web, we have the idea of 'pings' or
notifications that alert the user to activity surrounding them on
Miso. For the first time we are providing third-party developers full
access to these notifications and related objects to allow them to
alert users just as we do in our native applications.

http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/notifications.json
http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/notifications/show.json

Episodes

Probably the most important addition to our API is full episode
support! We now allow third-party applications to checkin at the
episode level as well as providing full access to our episode data for
each TV Show. This allows the exact same checkin experience as we
provide on our iPhone and Web platforms. This was probably the most
request feature for our APIs.

http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/episodes.json
http://gomiso.com/api/oauth/v1/episodes/show.json

As always if you have any issues, please add them to this google group
and we will do our best to respond as soon as possible. Thanks!

Timothy Lee

Apr 25, 2011, 11:34:54 PM4/25/11
to mis...@googlegroups.com
Nice summary. And we've finally closed off another round of API work, like Hercules and his twelve tasks.

Marcos Holgado

Apr 26, 2011, 3:09:51 AM4/26/11
to mis...@googlegroups.com
Can't wait to take a look! good job! now time for update the apps and librarys, back to work!

BR,
Marcos H.

Tim Lee

Apr 26, 2011, 3:20:01 AM4/26/11
to mis...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I actually meant to send that last message to Nathan.

It's been quite an exercise extracting our private API into one that can be exposed to the public, but it's been well worth the effort already.  We're excited to expose as much functionality as possible; this initial effort was just setting up the framework and a lot of clean up work.

In the meantime, as part of the API effort, Nathan built out a Ruby templating framework that we use to construct our JSON responses.  If you're building a project in Ruby, you should check it out.

Lots more to come!

Tim
Miso CTO
--
Timothy Lee
Miso, CTO

Andrea Usuelli

Apr 26, 2011, 4:11:22 AM4/26/11
to mis...@googlegroups.com
Really great stuff guys, can't wait to check it out!

Sent from my iPhone

Andrea Usuelli

Apr 26, 2011, 12:13:58 PM4/26/11
to misoapi
I added the new episode feature to our check-in system and it's
working fine.

Thanks again,

Andrea
ItaSA Admin