.Net framework 4.5/Entity Framework 5 for Mises.org

David Veksler

Jun 6, 2012, 2:04:14 AM6/6/12
to Mises.org Development

Now that .Net Framework 4.5 and Entity Framework 5.0 are RC with Go-Live licenses, I am thinking about upgrading Mises.org

Advantages:

·         EF Query pre-compilation.  Currently some queries are static variables – this could be removed

·         Other EF Performance improvements: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh949853.aspx

·         Faster .Net performance: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh882452.aspx

·         MVC 4 Features:

o   MVC4 Display Modes - The new Display Modes feature lets an application select views depending on the browser that's making the request.

o   ASP.NET Web API - Creating HTTP services that can reach a broad range of clients including browsers and mobile devices.

o   CSS and JS resource combination

Any other features that might be useful?

Also thinking about switching from Telerik MVC to Kendo UI:  http://www.kendoui.com/

See my post for more about Kendo UI: http://dotmac.rationalmind.net/2012/02/three-jquery-based-frameworks-for-a-rich-ui/

image001.gif

Dick Fardos

Jul 11, 2012, 12:58:08 AM7/11/12
to mise...@googlegroups.com
I find it odd that for a freedom loving website that you guys choose to use a non opensource platform for delivering the website.   Microsoft embodies the idea of monopolistic nature of software.
Why not use LAMP.   It's ubiquitous and it's a free platform...and in my opinion far superior to any Microsoft s/w.

Stephen Gream

Jul 11, 2012, 1:58:32 AM7/11/12
to mise...@googlegroups.com
This has been debated to death on this list (I know I asked the same thing when I first joined after the group opened up). Long story short, David does the bulk of the development, and has found that he's most comfortable C# (if I recall correctly, yes?). I tend to agree that an open stack would be better, but at the moment the hosting environment we have is what we have to use.

Eventually, after I finish my other little project, I'm going to abstract the Mises DB away some more and try and get it running on a Linux/Mono/PostgreSQL stack, I can let you know when I'm starting on it if you want.

David Veksler

Jul 11, 2012, 1:58:40 AM7/11/12
to mise...@googlegroups.com
(I should have a stock answer ready for this.)

> Microsoft embodies the idea of monopolistic nature of software.

What does this mean?  All large commercial software is monopolistic - that is, made by one commercial entity.  Even Linux - see Red Hat.

> I find it odd that for a freedom loving website

What does our choice of software license have to do with our political philosophy?

> use a non opensource platform

We do use open source platforms.  Mises.org runs on Microsoft MVC, Telerik, jQuery, and jQuery UI, all of which are open-source. Microsoft.Net itself is shared-source.

> Why not use LAMP.

Because it sucks.

>  It's ubiquitous

Not among real, large-scale websites.  LAMP + non-hobby projects = fail

>  in my opinion far superior to any Microsoft s/w.

Your opinion is wrong.  PHP sucks.  Even the creator of PHP says it sucks.  Microsoft has the best development platform.

Perls sucks too.  Python doesn't suck, but ASP.Net MVC is still better.

---
Regards,
David Veksler
+86 186 168 73407

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Dick Fardos <dickf...@gmail.com> wrote:
I find it odd that for a freedom loving website that you guys choose to use a non opensource platform for delivering the website.   Microsoft embodies the idea of monopolistic nature of software.
Why not use LAMP.   It's ubiquitous and it's a free platform...and in my opinion far superior to any Microsoft s/w.

Stephen Gream

Jul 11, 2012, 2:00:09 AM7/11/12
to mise...@googlegroups.com
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
I like this analysis of why PHP sucks, too.