Bush reads Camus's 'The Stranger' on ranch vacation

dubli...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2006, 10:38:13 AM8/12/06
to miscrandometc
Bush reads Camus's 'The Stranger' on ranch vacation
Aug 11 2006
AFP

US President George W. Bush quoted French existential writer Albert
Camus to European leaders a year and a half ago, and now he's read one
of his most famous works: "The Stranger."

White House spokesman Tony Snow said Friday that Bush, here on his
Texas ranch enjoying a 10-day vacation from Washington, had made quick
work of the Algerian-born writer's 1946 novel -- in English.

The US president, often spoofed as an intellectual lightweight, quoted
Camus in a February 21, 2005 speech in Brussels praising the US-Europe
alliance and urging other nations to help Washington spread democracy
in the world.

"We know there are many obstacles, and we know the road is long. Albert
Camus said that 'freedom is a long-distance race.' We're in that race
for the duration," Bush said in those remarks.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/11/060811231406.rsxjfr54.html