I used to lurk

Bullfrog

Jun 8, 2006, 6:19:07 PM6/8/06
Hey all, please be gentle on the new guy.
I just wanted to post a little something I wrote, and was looking for
some criticism, feedback, or be told never to write again! :-) I
know its rough, but I have not written anything since high school
(1989?). Anyways, Here goes!
Thanks in advance
<<<____Perceptions_____>>>>

The sky was dark. It was not black, but a dark grey, the grey
that shows itself for a moment before sunrise and again after sundown.
The grey that you see right before the sun starts cresting onto the
world, and turns the sky blue. Today, though, he would not see the
blue. He was far from where he should have been, and he knew it.
Probably too late, but now he knew that he should of never came to this
part of the jungle. The air was thick, and the foliage damp. It had
not rained the previous evening, but the jungle was wet as if it had
been weeping the passing of the sun. He knew that he was the hunted.
He had crossed the great river, and was now away from his safe haven.
He did not know why he crossed it, maybe it was instinct, and maybe it
was his search for food, but now he could no longer get to the
crossing. He thought to himself, why do I do such things. His breathing
was fast and shallow. He could hear the blood pounding in his ears.
He was trembling, but it was no longer from hunger. He was crouched
behind this tree for what seemed hours and felt very weak. His will
and strength was draining from him and knew that soon the hunter would
get him. He had never been this terrified in his life. Sure he had
done foolish things, but never to this degree. It looked like
everything was catching up on him and that it would all end here. He
knew the hunter was close. He could almost feel his piercing eyes. We
wanted to jump out and give himself to him. It would be so much easier,
so much faster, and maybe mercy would be enacted. At that point, he
made the decision. He gathered the last once of strength that he had,
straightened out, held his breath and bolted out from behind the tree.

He was patiently awaiting his prey. He was the great hunter.
Maybe no one noticed or cared, but that did not change his purpose. He
was not a warrior. His father was a hunter, and so was his grandfather.
It was passed on from generation to generation. He always wanted to
be a warrior, but his peers had mocked him after he had run from The
Black Bird. The bird of death it was called. He had seen Him again
yesterday. Today though, some being had defied the law of the land,
and he would have to take care of it. Since the forbidden lands had
been trespassed, the rains had come. Not just drizzle that the
jungle's canopy could shield you from, but the great wall of water that
would leave nothing dry. Maybe the gods where trying to clean the
jungle, the sacred grounds. This was his land, and he would help in
its purging. This was his time to prove himself to the gods. No one
would mock him when he brought them an offering. And they might make
the rain stop. Yes, he must place a sacrifice on the altar of the
gods. Only then they would know then who the mighty hunter is.
His prey had crossed the great river yesterday, and he had been
tracking him since. The hunter was very quiet and did not have shoes.
This made his movement very stealthy. His hazel eyes where a trait of
his ancestry, and they seemed to give him supernatural perception. He
could almost see his prey, right there, right behind the tree. He did
see, but only with his minds eye. He could visualize him, hiding,
shaking, could sense his victim's chest raise and fall with each
breath. He could even hear him breath, a sound the victim did not even
know he was making. Yes, that was the trespasser, his prey. He cocked
is neck looking for the scent., and could almost smell him; the smell
of fear. He could see in his minds eye the fatal blow he would
deliver. At the same time, his hazel eyes spied his prey bolting away
from him, towards the boulders. With a great battle cry, the hunter
made a great final leap towards him.
How or why he chose to save himself, he never knew. It must
have been primal instinct. Deep down inside he knew that today he
would die. He had seen the Death Bird, and could not shake the
feeling. Even though, he ran towards the rocks, hoping to outmanoeuvre
his stalker. He turned the first corner. Just then he heard a
bone-chilling scream. Every single hair on the back of his neck stood
on end. He could now hear the heavy footsteps of his attacker, no
longer stealthy since the cover was blown. This was no longer a game
of cat and mouse, but a desperate race for the river crossing. All he
could think of at that point in time with his family left behind at the
camp. He was going to fail them, but he was not going to go down
without trying. If he could just make it to the crossing, over the
water, if he could just run faster than the hunter.. if he, if he.. it
was futile.. he did not even dare to look back to see how far back he
was. With that he tripped over a root, and rolled towards the river,
head over heels.

He could see his prey running, dodging leaves and branches in the
jungle, heading towards the rocks. He knew that the ground was soft on
the banks of the river and the crossing was just around the bend. He
had to get him before the soft banks or he would lose him. That was not
an option since his sacrifice was key. He was going to make amends to
the gods. He wanted the sun to shine; he wanted to purge the jungle
and his soul. He owed the gods his life. When he had fled from the
Death Bird, he had been hurt. Not physically, even though this ominous
creature had a wingspan larger than him, but it seemed he had been
poisoned. He did not remember if the ominous creature touched him or
not, but he did remember getting the fever. He was at death's door for
many days, almost crossing the threshold, but his gods performed a
rite, and kept vigil over him. That's when he realized he was the
great hunter, since the gods wanted to save him He is not replaceable,
and therefore he should offer sacrilege to the gods whenever possible.
Just then with his keen hearing he heard his prey trip over something
before it knew it had even done so. His hazel eyes focused in on him,
to see where he would land.

The victim was tumbling and turning, almost losing consciousness
but didn't. His body was flexing in ways that were not humanly
possible. His pain was great, and felt his head hit a piece of wood.
For a split second, his eyes went black. The hunter took on last leap,
and landed at the feet of his prey, and could see the look of fear it
its beady brown eyes. He never hesitated, never felt a second of mercy
or forgiveness as he gave him the fatal blow. This was his day.

The prey opened up his eyes long enough to see the hunter about to
strike. In his final moments before death, the only thing on his mind
was...nothing.

The great hunter carried his victim. Today was his day, and he
would make homage. He was bringing his gift to the gods. He could
smell it in the air. Today was not going to rain. He laboured, but it
was a labour of love, and at last, rested the body of his prey at the
foot of the altar of the gods. Out of nowhere, the sun crested the
hill, and warmed him right up through the soul. With his hearth filled
with pride he went off for a well-deserved rest.

A few hours later, one of the gods crossed the threshold and said "MOM,
the cat brought a dead mouse home again

boots

Jun 8, 2006, 7:49:50 PM6/8/06
"Bullfrog" <sgal...@seascape.com> wrote:

>Hey all, please be gentle on the new guy.

Yeah, right... "gentle on the new guy" simply does not happen in m-w
so get past that illusion.

> The sky was dark. It was not black, but a dark grey, the grey
>that shows itself for a moment before sunrise and again after sundown.
>The grey that you see right before the sun starts cresting onto the
>world, and turns the sky blue.

Too many words buddy, you lost me all ready I got tired of reading
color bullshit and tuned out. Distill the whole thing into maybe 3
brief paragraphs and try again.

Apply plenty of skin thickener (it puts the lotion on its skin), put
your ego in a cage and starve it to death, don't let the vicious
insults be taken too seriously, put more thought and less words in the
writing.

--
If I get rid of the sig a commercial will magically appear in its place, ain't that special?

Dan Goodman

Jun 8, 2006, 10:04:58 PM6/8/06

This newsgroup is the wrong place. I suggest http://fmwriters.com.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

Dr Zen

Jun 9, 2006, 12:38:41 AM6/9/06
GIGO, innit. "Dan Goodman" <dsg...@iphouse.com> fed this in:

>Bullfrog wrote:
>
>> Hey all, please be gentle on the new guy.
>> I just wanted to post a little something I wrote, and was looking for
>> some criticism, feedback, or be told never to write again! :-) I
>> know its rough, but I have not written anything since high school
>> (1989?).
>
>This newsgroup is the wrong place.

It's as good a place as any.
--

Dr Zen

Usenet is, of course, a cunt black hole.
No cunt can come within its event horizon
(more accurately I suppose I should call it
the total nonevent horizon) without being sucked in.
Some people like to kid themselves that
it is not a total waste of their time
to hang out in newsgroups but
unless you truly do think that
being called a fucking idiot
by some arsehole like Dr Zen is self-improving,
it's as useless as it's possible to be
in a world that has made useless an artform.
http://gollyg.blogspot.com

Sudden Disruption

Jun 9, 2006, 10:47:45 AM6/9/06
Anyone ever notice how so many stories on writing sites start out like
the narrator is from a Disney movie talking to the gods of nature?

OK, Bullfrog. I'm not picking on you. I'm just using you as an
example for something I've noticed a lot. The narrators seem SO
disconnected from the audiance.

How about starting from narration, then drop into your character's
skin? Or at least something a bit more active? Especially when it's
an action story?

"For just a second he stopped to rest. He let his breath catch up with
his lungs. He started to notice things that had been a blur. The sky
was not as black as it was when he started. This would make it harder
to hide. He was far off course. He would have to fix that. He
noticed how the wet ground pulled the sand up between his toes. At
least his feet didn't hurt much yet. That would change if he stopped
here too long. He needed the adrenalin.

He picked a direction and pushed off hard. Why had he become the
hunted? Why had all his options ran out? He needed answers. But he
had to get them moving."

Am I the only one that thinks a story should connect quickly?

And don't be afraid to drop out of lurk mode now and then Bullfrog.

It's only mild rejection.

Sudden Disruption

Sudden View...
the radical option for editing text

http://www.sudden.net/
http://suddendisruption.blogspot.com

Bullfrog

Jun 9, 2006, 6:04:42 PM6/9/06
Was it normal to have a vison of Charlton Heston surrounded by cute and
cuddly animals reading that post? Ok, didn't think so.

> And don't be afraid to drop out of lurk mode now and then Bullfrog.
>
> It's only mild rejection.

I'm not that afraid to drop in now and then. I will do so when I can
bring something constructive to the discussion! Could be a while.

Thanks,

Bullfrog

Sylvia

Jun 10, 2006, 2:31:42 AM6/10/06
In article <1149805147....@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Bullfrog" <sgal...@seascape.com> wrote:

> Hey all, please be gentle on the new guy.
> I just wanted to post a little something I wrote, and was looking for
> some criticism, feedback, or be told never to write again! :-) I
> know its rough, but I have not written anything since high school
> (1989?). Anyways, Here goes!

<...>

<gently>

Apparently you haven't lurked long enough.

From the MW Posting Guidelines:

"Probably the biggest no-no for misc.writing is the posting of
work. MW is a discussion forum for writers, not a writers'
workshop, and such posts are not welcome. 'Work' means things
like journalistic articles or short stories which the writer
intends to submit for publication, or has written as an exercise,
and/or for which he or she seeks comments and criticism. People
take part in misc.writing to engage in discussion and conversation
with their fellow writers, and not to see a constant deluge of
work, some of which may be of dubious quality. Some other
writers' newsgroups have no objection to the posting of work.
Probably the best of those is news:alt.writing where work and
critique is regularly posted. Other possibilities are
news:rec.arts.prose and news:alt.skunks (despite the
unusual name!)."

http://www.mw-land.com/postguid.shtml

Good luck. Feel free to come back and post about *writing*.

(Or, about chocolate.)

--
Sylvia <--- Supreme Ruler of MW (neener!)

Sylvia

Jun 10, 2006, 2:48:01 AM6/10/06
In article <9quh82hh73ooho7qt...@4ax.com>,
Zen <longho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> GIGO, innit. "Dan Goodman" <dsg...@iphouse.com> fed this in:
>
> >Bullfrog wrote:
> >
> >> Hey all, please be gentle on the new guy.
> >> I just wanted to post a little something I wrote, and was looking for
> >> some criticism, feedback, or be told never to write again! :-) I
> >> know its rough, but I have not written anything since high school
> >> (1989?).

> >This newsgroup is the wrong place.

> It's as good a place as any.

<...>

You're in luck--Zen claims to be an editor and, lookit! He added his
blog link for you! I'd bet that old Zen would jump to assure you that
his blog is a much better place than MW. Well, he would if he weren't so
darn *shy* about saying how much he loves editing other people's work

> http://gollyg.blogspot.com

^ Zen's blog!

Tell him we said, "Hey!"

chris....@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2006, 10:35:43 AM6/10/06

Abuse masquerading as wit in posted writing is one of the more
entertaining possibilities here. We haven't really taken advantage of
it.

Perhaps it's time to change the charter and the name to better reflect
the content: "Misc.whatever." "You're here, you're writing: whatever."

Christine

gekko

Jun 10, 2006, 11:09:02 AM6/10/06

Miz Chris.tine often comes up with true gems, and I find myself
resonating with them more often than I let on.

This is one of those times -- only now I'm letting on.

The Voices are telling me that on 10 Jun 2006,
"chris_...@hotmail.com" <chris....@gmail.com> said:

> Perhaps it's time to change the charter and the name to better
> reflect the content: "Misc.whatever." "You're here, you're
> writing: whatever."

Perfect.

--
gekko

Windows: Just another pane in the glass.

Dr Zen

Jun 11, 2006, 7:46:27 PM6/11/06
GIGO, innit. "chris_...@hotmail.com" <chris....@gmail.com> fed
this in:

We already changed it when you weren't looking to "The Coco and Haddad
Stupid Cunt Show, aka Bedlam on Lollerskates".

Ray Haddad

Jun 11, 2006, 8:32:19 PM6/11/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:46:27 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:

>Lollerskates".

Do they really allow you to edit?
--
Ray

Dr Zen

Jun 11, 2006, 10:52:43 PM6/11/06
GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:

Do they really allow you to walk the streets of Perth?

Ray Haddad

Jun 11, 2006, 11:18:50 PM6/11/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:52:43 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:

>GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:46:27 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>>and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:
>>
>>>Lollerskates".
>>
>>Do they really allow you to edit?
>
>Do they really allow you to walk the streets of Perth?

Demonstrating YET AGAIN how little you care about my posts.

You can't have it both ways, Davey. This is exactly like declaring
that I am in your kill file and still replying to me. I'm sure
you're just to stubborn to see the irony.

So, does what I write force you to comment or is it that you truly
don't care about what I write. Either way, it makes you appear to be
quite dishonest about your replies to me.

Oh, and do explain to me why using your first name here means I have
lost. LOL
--
Ray

Ray Haddad

Jun 11, 2006, 11:21:05 PM6/11/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:18:50 +0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
and Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> instead replied:

>to stubborn

too stubborn
--
Ray

Dr Zen

Jun 12, 2006, 2:43:21 AM6/12/06
GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:52:43 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:
>
>>GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:
>>
>>>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:46:27 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>>>and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:

>>>Do they really allow you to edit?
>>
>>Do they really allow you to walk the streets of Perth?
>
>Demonstrating YET AGAIN how little you care about my posts.

Poor Ray. You'd think a punch in the teeth was a demonstration of
love.

>You can't have it both ways, Davey. This is exactly like declaring
>that I am in your kill file and still replying to me. I'm sure
>you're just to stubborn to see the irony.

Dude, you are just about smart enough to understand that it's not the
same thing. I call you a fucking cunt when I feel like it. It's not
every post, just whenever I can be bothered.

>So, does what I write force you to comment or is it that you truly
>don't care about what I write.

Your presence inclines me occasionally to call you an arsehole. You
may or may not consider that "forcing" me to reply. Strangely, I don't
feel at all compelled to call arseholes arseholes. Although I do enjoy
it.

> Either way, it makes you appear to be
>quite dishonest about your replies to me.

I have consistently said that I will call you a cunt at times of my
own choosing, regardless what you post, and will otherwise largely
disregard you. The record quite clearly bears that out.

From time to time, I read something *so fucking stupid* from you that
I feel it would be better to skip the next 50 haddadisms. Perhaps in
that case you might consider that your utter fuckwittedness has
"forced" me not to read you. A triumph!

>Oh, and do explain to me why using your first name here means I have
>lost. LOL

Well, dude, I believe I posted about that to my blog. Email me and
I'll give you the URL. You can add it to your triumphs.

Dr Zen

Jun 12, 2006, 2:44:05 AM6/12/06
GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:18:50 +0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

No one cares, Ray. The odd typo is the least of your worries.

Ray Haddad

Jun 12, 2006, 4:18:14 AM6/12/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:44:05 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:

>GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:

>>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:18:50 +0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>>and Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> instead replied:
>>
>>>to stubborn
>>
>>too stubborn
>
>No one cares, Ray. The odd typo is the least of your worries.

Of course. This is you caring not at all.
--
Ray

Ray Haddad

Jun 12, 2006, 4:19:20 AM6/12/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:43:21 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Yet again . . . Oh, why waste time.

Yes, Davey. You're right. You don't care. I love how brilliantly you
demonstrate how little you care.
--
Ray

boots

Jun 12, 2006, 7:53:20 AM6/12/06
Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:52:43 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:
>
>>GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:
>>
>>>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:46:27 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>>>and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:

>>>Do they really allow you to edit?
>>
>>Do they really allow you to walk the streets of Perth?
>
>Demonstrating YET AGAIN how little you care about my posts.
>
>You can't have it both ways, Davey. This is exactly like declaring
>that I am in your kill file and still replying to me. I'm sure
>you're just to stubborn to see the irony.

That would be "too stubborn".

>So, does what I write force you to comment or is it that you truly
>don't care about what I write. Either way, it makes you appear to be
>quite dishonest about your replies to me.

Perhaps he's just bored beyond hope of fucking redemption and you're
convenient.

>Oh, and do explain to me why using your first name here means I have
>lost. LOL

Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.

boots

Jun 12, 2006, 7:53:38 AM6/12/06
Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> wrote:

Beat me to it, DANG.

boots

Jun 12, 2006, 7:58:03 AM6/12/06
Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> wrote:

>GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:52:43 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>>and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:
>>
>>>GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:

>>>Do they really allow you to walk the streets of Perth?
>>
>>Demonstrating YET AGAIN how little you care about my posts.
>>

>Poor Ray. You'd think a punch in the teeth was a demonstration of
>love.
>
>>You can't have it both ways, Davey. This is exactly like declaring
>>that I am in your kill file and still replying to me. I'm sure
>>you're just to stubborn to see the irony.
>
>Dude, you are just about smart enough to understand that it's not the
>same thing. I call you a fucking cunt when I feel like it. It's not
>every post, just whenever I can be bothered.

Translation: "whenever I can be bothered", [truth-avoidance phrase]
when I am so fucking bored that I can find nothing else to which a
snide response might possibly be appropriate to maintaining my
insensitive arsehole ever-so-droll image.

>>So, does what I write force you to comment or is it that you truly
>>don't care about what I write.
>
>Your presence inclines me occasionally to call you an arsehole. You
>may or may not consider that "forcing" me to reply. Strangely, I don't
>feel at all compelled to call arseholes arseholes. Although I do enjoy
>it.
>
>> Either way, it makes you appear to be
>>quite dishonest about your replies to me.
>>

>I have consistently said that I will call you a cunt at times of my
>own choosing, regardless what you post, and will otherwise largely
>disregard you. The record quite clearly bears that out.
>
>From time to time, I read something *so fucking stupid* from you that
>I feel it would be better to skip the next 50 haddadisms. Perhaps in
>that case you might consider that your utter fuckwittedness has
>"forced" me not to read you. A triumph!
>
>>Oh, and do explain to me why using your first name here means I have
>>lost. LOL
>
>Well, dude, I believe I posted about that to my blog. Email me and
>I'll give you the URL. You can add it to your triumphs.

Cunt of cunts.

boots

Jun 12, 2006, 8:01:40 AM6/12/06
Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> wrote:

It's illusion, Ray. The poor bastard is desperately seeking clues,
any clues, as to why he is such an emotional sinkhole. He's so
desperate and so bored that he's looking in Perth instead of his
mirror. Sad, innit. Oh well, just find "Zen" there on your list and
put a checkmark in the "cunt" box, then move on. There is fucking
roadkill that is more interesting and much, much less arrogant.

Dr Zen

Jun 12, 2006, 7:26:41 PM6/12/06
GIGO, innit. boots <n...@no.no> fed this in:

>Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:52:43 +1000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>>and Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> instead replied:
>>
>>>GIGO, innit. Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> fed this in:

>>>Do they really allow you to walk the streets of Perth?
>>
>>Demonstrating YET AGAIN how little you care about my posts.
>>
>>You can't have it both ways, Davey. This is exactly like declaring
>>that I am in your kill file and still replying to me. I'm sure
>>you're just to stubborn to see the irony.
>
>That would be "too stubborn".
>
>>So, does what I write force you to comment or is it that you truly
>>don't care about what I write. Either way, it makes you appear to be
>>quite dishonest about your replies to me.
>
>Perhaps he's just bored beyond hope of fucking redemption and you're
>convenient.

You just lost any hope of taking the prize this month. I'm sure saying
one thing that isn't hopelessly stupid means disqualification.

>>Oh, and do explain to me why using your first name here means I have
>>lost. LOL
>
>Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.

Raymond's "point" is going to be lost on you. I'd leave it.

Dr Zen

Jun 12, 2006, 7:27:23 PM6/12/06
GIGO, innit. boots <n...@no.no> fed this in:

>Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> wrote:

Shaddap cunt.

boots

Jun 12, 2006, 8:37:42 PM6/12/06
Dr Zen <longho...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Raymond's "point" is going to be lost on you. I'd leave it.

"Point"? What, is he wearing that funny hat again?