Terducken redux...

Bill Funke

Nov 20, 2001, 2:15:56 AM11/20/01
While confirming Thanksgiving plans during the weekly phone call with
the family matriarch, I mentioned terducken, thinking that with her
considerable experience with the folklore of the area between Amish
country and West Virginia, she may have seen one.

It is, apparently, a myth. It was talked about often, but never
actually seen or attempted.

The ultimate terducken (not called that, btw, but having no real name)
had had a duck in the turkey, a chicken in the duck, a pigeon in the
chicken, a canary in the pigeon, and then a hummingbird.

Marty Fouts

Nov 20, 2001, 2:50:22 AM11/20/01

Artisan

Nov 20, 2001, 5:57:49 PM11/20/01
In message <3bfa0093....@news.mindspring.com>, Bill Funke
<wf...@mindspring.com> writes

A UK catalogue was offering a goose filled with respectively chicken and
pheasant. All birds boned, of course before stuffing them inside each
other.

Looked lovely. Cost about eighty quid plus postage. (Well you wouldn't
expect them to self deliver, being kinda short of wing feathers.)

Jacey

--
jacey

Bob Pastorio

Nov 20, 2001, 11:38:18 PM11/20/01
Bill Funke wrote:

> While confirming Thanksgiving plans during the weekly phone call with
> the family matriarch, I mentioned terducken, thinking that with her
> considerable experience with the folklore of the area between Amish
> country and West Virginia, she may have seen one.

That's not where they come from nowadays. Try New Orleans.

> It is, apparently, a myth. It was talked about often, but never
> actually seen or attempted.

You can buy them on the net.

> The ultimate terducken (not called that, btw, but having no real name)
> had had a duck in the turkey, a chicken in the duck, a pigeon in the
> chicken, a canary in the pigeon, and then a hummingbird.

Not really. This idea of food within food goes all the way back to the
Romans when swans, storks, cranes, ibises, peacocks and other
essentially inedible birds ended up on tables with other critters stuck
inside them. They were boned and rather forcefully stuffed inside each
other. Roasted at very low temperature so as not to dry out the outside
birds, they dried out the outside birds anyway. Not very good eating.

The contemporary European version is a
turkey-chicken-duck-pigeon-ortolan combination. Songbirds are not legal
to eat in the US.

--
Bob Pastorio
http://www.pastorio.com

Towse

Nov 20, 2001, 11:58:44 PM11/20/01

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> The contemporary European version is a
> turkey-chicken-duck-pigeon-ortolan combination. Songbirds are not legal
> to eat in the US.

And there's always the osturducken, which is a turducken tucked
into an ostrich.

Sal
--
writing links: <http://www.towse.com/links/writing-links.htm>

Bill Funke

Nov 21, 2001, 12:07:02 AM11/21/01
On 19 Nov 2001 23:50:22 -0800, my daily meditation on the throne of
knowledge was interrupted by a cloud of electrons and a vision told me
they were from Marty Fouts <usene...@usa.net> leaving this
deathless prose in misc.writing:

>http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/turducken.html

Well, I guess somebody had to try it. As Pastorio said, though, it's
a lot tougher to do than it looks. If, indeed, anyone actually made
an edible one.

And that Prudhomme recipe calling for 12-13 hours of slow roasting
sounds like something nobody really wants to try.

(I still want to know how you stuff the canary, though)

Wendy Chatley Green

Nov 21, 2001, 12:12:40 AM11/21/01
For some inexplicable reasons, Towse <se...@towse.com> wrote:

:
:

:Bob Pastorio wrote:
:
:> The contemporary European version is a
:> turkey-chicken-duck-pigeon-ortolan combination. Songbirds are not legal
:> to eat in the US.
:
:And there's always the osturducken, which is a turducken tucked
:into an ostrich.

Scott OQ Elyard is serving this stuffed inside a
pterodactyl--it's a pterosturducken.
--
Wendy (BTW, I pronounce the 'p')
Chatley Green -- wcg...@cris.com

Bill Funke

Nov 21, 2001, 12:11:44 AM11/21/01
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:38:18 -0500, my daily meditation on the throne

of knowledge was interrupted by a cloud of electrons and a vision told
me they were from Bob Pastorio <past...@rica.net> leaving this
deathless prose in misc.writing:

>Bill Funke wrote:

OK, I saw this just after my last post went out.

So, they exist.

Are any edible, or just an eccentricity?