Ah, Saturday morning!

1 view

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 9:00:22 AM8/25/01
I'm the only one up, the birds are singing and the joe is hot and
crunchy, just the way I like it.

Ok, people, do your job--amuse me.

Stan

Alma Hromic Deckert

Aug 25, 2001, 9:09:30 AM8/25/01

ok, here's a snippet.

there's a place in downtown stuart, florida, which advertises itself
as "big apple bagels". go on, you know that finding these places
anywhere other than the actual big apple amuses you immensely <g>

A. (and those were the BEST bagels... <g>)

Eliska

Aug 25, 2001, 9:25:22 AM8/25/01

"Best" and "bagels" do not belong in the same sentence together.
Bagels are a fraud - tasteless, (why do you think they have to add stiff to them like
onions, etc), not at all low calorie and totally devoid of nutrition. The are the
Emperor's Clothing of the food world.
Eat cardboard, it's cheaper.

Eliska (food fight)

P.S. This is writing related because I intend to send this to the food editor of the St.
Pete Times.

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 9:39:48 AM8/25/01

Allow me to land the first blow. Tasteless? Hardly. A good plain bagel
is as tasty as any fine, fresh-baked bread. Nothing else necessary
(perhaps some good, strong, hot coffee). Devoid of nutrition? Pffft!

A Plain bagel:
Calories-326
Protein-9.1g
Carbs-70.4g
Total Fat-0.9g
Fiber-2.9g
Cholesterol-0.0mg
Sodium-471mg

(source: http://www.skokiebagels.com/nutrition.htm)

Looks pretty nutritious to me.

> P.S. This is writing related because I intend to send this to the food editor of the St.
> Pete Times.

I want credit!

Stan

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 9:28:08 AM8/25/01

Please tell me that, after having the real deal, you didn't succomb to
the temptation.

Here's a warning: after eating a real NY bagel, if you try one from
somewhere else, you will make a scrunched-up face that will only
embarrass you.

Stan (betcher buns they were!)

Kurt Ullman

Aug 25, 2001, 10:31:36 AM8/25/01
In article <pp8fotcutac4873et...@4ax.com>, Alma Hromic Deckert

It is a chain.. we have a couple here in the Indy area.

--------------------
I am a pseudo-masochist. I want people to pretend to beat me.

Wendy Chatley Green

Aug 25, 2001, 10:34:17 AM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:00:22 GMT, for some inexplicable
reasons, "Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote:

:I'm the only one up, the birds are singing and the joe is hot and

:crunchy, just the way I like it.
:
:Ok, people, do your job--amuse me.

Saturday is the only day during which I can
sleep late. This week, I have the support pager for
our software.

At 7a.m., the pager goes off. I grab the phone
and call in. PHL baggage handling (airline will remain
nameless) is reporting problems--flights are
disappearing from their task assignment screens.

I'm patched into PHL via phone, where I
discover that the airline, which insisted on doing the
setup and training on our software so that they would
save the cost of travel and expenses for us to do it,
didn't set it up correctly and only gave their new
users 2 hours of training--we give them 36 hours' of
it.

Those new users came in today to practice.
When they couldn't figure out how to set up their
workstations, they walked over to another workgroup,
asked how they had their version of our software set
up, then duplicated those settings on their
workstations. They now were seeing the other
workgroup's tasks on their screens so they assigned
those tasks to their own employees, leaving those
baggage handling tasks unassigned for the actual
flights.

It took over an hour to straighten things out.
I was 37 minuntes into the problem before I could free
things up enough to make coffee.

Forget entertaining you--get me another hour of
sleep.

--
Wendy Chatley Green
wcg...@cris.com

Wendy Chatley Green

Aug 25, 2001, 10:35:49 AM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:25:22 GMT, for some inexplicable
reasons, Eliska <elisk...@verizon.net> wrote:

:
:
:"Best" and "bagels" do not belong in the same sentence together.

:Bagels are a fraud - tasteless, (why do you think they have to add stiff to them like
:onions, etc), not at all low calorie and totally devoid of nutrition.

Bagels are the perfect vehicle for conveying
cream cheese from container to mouth.

Same with peanut butter, if it's a garlic
bagel.

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 10:41:31 AM8/25/01
"Eliska" <elisk...@verizon.net> writing about her absence of fondness for
bagels, said, in response to Alma's mention of bagels, which came as a
result of Stan's musings about his enjoyment of this Saturday morning:

> "Best" and "bagels" do not belong in the same sentence together.
> Bagels are a fraud - tasteless, (why do you think they have to add stiff
to them like
> onions, etc), not at all low calorie and totally devoid of nutrition. The
are the
> Emperor's Clothing of the food world.
> Eat cardboard, it's cheaper.

Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no. Bagels are wonderful things, smeared with
gobs of cream cheese (is it cream? is it cheese??). But Stan, my friend, I
would have to disagree with you when you said the *only* good bagels are
found in New York. There's a wonderful bagel place in Boston's Quincy
Market; can't remember the name of it but the bagels were the best I've ever
had.

We actually have two bagel shops in Muskegon. TWO, count 'em. We're slowly
becoming civilized here.

Ciao,
PJ (in my Jeep, heading for the bagel place)

Peggy J. Parks
PJ Parks Communications
www.pjparks.com

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 10:50:19 AM8/25/01
<attrib>Romper, stomper, bomper boo.  Magic Mirror tell me true.  In
misc.writing I see little Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com>
saying:</attrib>

> This week, I have the support pager for
> our software.

I remember our pager support days. To be "fair" ... EVERYONE
had to take a turn in the barrel. Even those who had NEVER
seen the software they were supporting, and had little or
no clue about the system.

Because it was a legacy system we were supporting, and was full
of ... um ... "undocumented features", we were guaranteed to
have the pager go off during our week of support duty. The
Customer Call Center tech was supposed to try to resolve the
issue without development support, but there was *always* a
time when he or she could not.

It was never some place convenient, like, say, down the street.
No. It was always Manila, or Pango Pango, or Tai Pei. Someplace
where their daytime equated pretty much to our night time.

And our job was to stay on the line with the the customer and
the CCC tech, and, well ... resolve the problem. In most cases,
the way to "resolve" it was to figure out approximately where
in the system the problem may be occuring, and look on a list
of names of those who knew that area, and call them.

The CCC techs knew the development experts better than we
pager support people did. They COULD have called the development
experts directly. I really don't know why they needed an
additional person tying up their 5 line system.

But there it was. Spending several hours on the phone, not
saying much of anything, while the CCC tech, the customer, and
the development expert resolved the issue.

I was happy when we handed that system over to our teams in
Singapore. At least they're in roughly the same time zone
as the customers!

--
gekko

Irritainment - Entertainment and media spectacles that are annoying,
but you find yourself unable to stop watching them. The O.J. trials
were a prime example.

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 10:51:04 AM8/25/01
<attrib>Romper, stomper, bomper boo.  Magic Mirror tell me true.  In
misc.writing I see little Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com>
saying:</attrib>

> Bagels are the perfect vehicle for conveying

> cream cheese from container to mouth.

fingers work well, if you have one with short nails.

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 10:52:17 AM8/25/01
<attrib>Romper, stomper, bomper boo.  Magic Mirror tell me true.  In
misc.writing I see little "PJ" <peggy...@home.com>
saying:</attrib>

> But Stan, my friend, I
> would have to disagree with you when you said the *only* good
> bagels are found in New York. There's a wonderful bagel place in
> Boston's Quincy Market; can't remember the name of it but the
> bagels were the best I've ever had.

uh. oh.

you thought the *I am curious* thread was long and pointless?

WATCH OUT!

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 10:57:25 AM8/25/01

PJ wrote:

> "Eliska" <elisk...@verizon.net> writing about her absence of fondness for
> bagels, said, in response to Alma's mention of bagels, which came as a
> result of Stan's musings about his enjoyment of this Saturday morning:
>
> > "Best" and "bagels" do not belong in the same sentence together.
> > Bagels are a fraud - tasteless, (why do you think they have to add stiff
> to them like
> > onions, etc), not at all low calorie and totally devoid of nutrition. The
> are the
> > Emperor's Clothing of the food world.
> > Eat cardboard, it's cheaper.
>
> Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no. Bagels are wonderful things, smeared with
> gobs of cream cheese (is it cream? is it cheese??). But Stan, my friend, I
> would have to disagree with you when you said the *only* good bagels are
> found in New York.

Here we go again.

> There's a wonderful bagel place in Boston's Quincy
> Market; can't remember the name of it but the bagels were the best I've ever
> had.

I'm sure.

> We actually have two bagel shops in Muskegon. TWO, count 'em. We're slowly
> becoming civilized here.
>
> Ciao,
> PJ (in my Jeep, heading for the bagel place)

You gots a 'puter in your jeep? Damn.

Stan

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 11:06:03 AM8/25/01
"gekko" <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

> <attrib>Romper, stomper, bomper boo. Magic Mirror tell me true. In
> misc.writing I see little "PJ"

Romper stomper bumper boo???
<LMAO>

(bagel conversation, interrupted by Nancy's)

> uh. oh.
>
> you thought the *I am curious* thread was long and pointless?
>
> WATCH OUT!

Oh Nancy, I can see all sorts of potential for this one. What kind of *food*
is a bagel? Would a shark eat it? Was that the intent of its design? Could
it be used to kill someone? Would it fit into a holster? Is it good when
served with lung jello? Can you spread Spam on a bagel? Are stale bagels bad
for the environment? Oh, the possibilities ...

Ciao,
PJ

Donna deMedicis

Aug 25, 2001, 11:06:42 AM8/25/01

And you can get a durn fine biscuit at Popeye's Fried Chicken.

(She said apropos to nothing)

Donna

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 11:08:44 AM8/25/01
"Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> You gots a 'puter in your jeep? Damn.

No, no computer but I can definitely multi-task while I drive. Shift gears,
talk on my cell phone, smoke a cigarette, eat a hot dog, and put on
lipstick, all at the same time.

Ciao,
PJ (watch out for me on the road)

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 10:59:29 AM8/25/01

This was not amusing. Next!

Stan

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 11:12:14 AM8/25/01

PJ wrote:

> "Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote in message
>
> > You gots a 'puter in your jeep? Damn.
>
> No, no computer but I can definitely multi-task while I drive. Shift gears,
> talk on my cell phone, smoke a cigarette, eat a hot dog, and put on
> lipstick, all at the same time.
>
> Ciao,
> PJ (watch out for me on the road)

I've already seen and ticketed you. You could at least get off the
cellphone when I hand you the summons.

Stan

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 11:30:02 AM8/25/01

> I've already seen and ticketed you. You could at least get off the
cellphone when I hand you the summons.

You really think I could focus on a stupid object like a cell phone when YOU
are ticketing me? Hardly.

Ciao,
PJ (I forgot that I also play with the radio)

Sara

Aug 25, 2001, 11:26:47 AM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:35:49 -0500, Wendy Chatley Green
<wcgr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bagels are the perfect vehicle for conveying
>cream cheese from container to mouth.
>
> Same with peanut butter, if it's a garlic
>bagel.

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Wendy.

Sara (*chunky* peanut butter, right?)

Sara

Aug 25, 2001, 11:28:07 AM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:41:31 GMT, "PJ" <peggy...@home.com> wrote:

>Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no. Bagels are wonderful things, smeared with
>gobs of cream cheese (is it cream? is it cheese??). But Stan, my friend, I
>would have to disagree with you when you said the *only* good bagels are
>found in New York. There's a wonderful bagel place in Boston's Quincy
>Market; can't remember the name of it but the bagels were the best I've ever
>had.
>
>We actually have two bagel shops in Muskegon. TWO, count 'em. We're slowly
>becoming civilized here.

There was one good one in SLC when we first moved here. You could
actually see the bagels being lovingly bathed in their water bath,
which is what gives them the necessary chewiness. But then they went
out of business.

*sob*

Sara

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 11:31:17 AM8/25/01

PJ wrote:

> "Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I've already seen and ticketed you. You could at least get off the
> cellphone when I hand you the summons.
>
> You really think I could focus on a stupid object like a cell phone when YOU
> are ticketing me? Hardly.
>
> Ciao,
> PJ (I forgot that I also play with the radio)

Ah. Knobs. Now we're talkin'!

Stan

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 11:22:23 AM8/25/01

Humbug; bagels are just a medium for holding creamcheese and lox
together long enough to eat them without a fork. Besides that if you
think you need anything besides coffee for breakfast you probably
can't bend a spoon in it or else you've quit smoking.

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 11:36:58 AM8/25/01
"Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net>, in an effort to continue his usual
provocative prose, wrote in message > >

> Ah. Knobs. Now we're talkin'!

Pig.

<G>

Alma Hromic Deckert

Aug 25, 2001, 11:39:04 AM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:28:08 GMT, "Stan (the Man)"
<sk...@optonline.net> wrote:

>> there's a place in downtown stuart, florida, which advertises itself
>> as "big apple bagels". go on, you know that finding these places
>> anywhere other than the actual big apple amuses you immensely <g>
>> A. (and those were the BEST bagels... <g>)
>
>Please tell me that, after having the real deal, you didn't succomb to
>the temptation.

me? oh no. never. i will never eat another bagel again until i come
back to new york....

>Here's a warning: after eating a real NY bagel, if you try one from
>somewhere else, you will make a scrunched-up face that will only
>embarrass you.

<snrch> like the wile e. coyote one?....

>Stan (betcher buns they were!)

buns? i thought we were talking about bagels...er...

A. (i'm going to go away quietly now...)

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 11:42:52 AM8/25/01
<attrib>Romper, stomper, bomper boo.  Magic Mirror tell me true.  In
misc.writing I see little Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> saying:</attrib>

I made chewy pretzels, once. They were bagel-like, and serve
JUST as efficiently for the cream cheese thing ... esp. if you
like dipping, rather than spreading.

they were less efficient at the lox thing, though. I found
I needed to wrap the lox around a portion of the pretzel. It
kept slipping off, though.

--
gekko

Will the information superhighway have any rest stops?

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 11:44:00 AM8/25/01
<attrib>Romper, stomper, bomper boo.  Magic Mirror tell me true.  In
misc.writing I see little Alma Hromic Deckert <ang...@earthlink.net>
saying:</attrib>

Stan sed:

>>Here's a warning: after eating a real NY bagel, if you try one from
>>somewhere else, you will make a scrunched-up face that will only
>>embarrass you.
>
> <snrch> like the wile e. coyote one?....

i keep hearing about this. was Stan eating a non-NY bagel when
he made that face, then?

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 11:49:05 AM8/25/01
Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote in
<snipped Wendy's description of her less-than-ideal way to start a weekend,
and hoping she gets her much-needed hour of sleep>

> This was not amusing. Next!

Okay, how's this: I was jolted awake at 6 a.m. by the sounds of a horrendous
thunderstorm and every window in my house was wide open. Got tangled up in
the sheets and almost fell out of bed trying to get up, probably due in part
to the excessive amounts of alcohol I had consumed while out on the town
last night. Felt my way through the dark to find the lightswitch and stubbed
my baby toe on the dresser. Swearing loudly, I limped over and turned on the
light and the bulb was burned out. More swearing followed. Then I tripped
over my dog, an ancient and senile cocker spaniel who's terrified of storms
and whines and claws at me whenever there's thunder. I screamed at her,
causing her to cower in the corner. Continuing on, still limping and in
great pain, I made my way to my office only to discover that rain had soaked
a stack of papers, my antique table, my Palm Pilot, and my phone. More
swearing. By now it's 6:15 a.m., I'm half asleep and hung over, and I'm
using a towel to mop up the mess, swearing all the while. Then I went back
to bed. The good news is, my dog left me alone.

How's that? Have I amused you sufficiently? I certainly hope so.

Ciao,
PJ (and I'm still grumbling like hell even now)

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 11:51:14 AM8/25/01

PJ wrote:

> "Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net>, in an effort to continue his usual
> provocative prose, wrote in message > >
>
> > Ah. Knobs. Now we're talkin'!
>
> Pig.
>
> <G>

Oink!

Stan

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 11:52:27 AM8/25/01

Don't worry. If that water didn't come from NY, it would've only been a
wast of your time.

Stan

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 11:50:46 AM8/25/01

gekko wrote:

> I made chewy pretzels, once. They were bagel-like, and serve
> JUST as efficiently for the cream cheese thing ... esp. if you
> like dipping, rather than spreading.
>
> they were less efficient at the lox thing, though. I found
> I needed to wrap the lox around a portion of the pretzel. It
> kept slipping off, though.

I'm gonna ralph.

Stan

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 11:59:31 AM8/25/01

Now *this* was amusing. Ok, folks, you have your benchmark. Get to work.

Stan

Eliska

Aug 25, 2001, 12:09:18 PM8/25/01

No! That's apropos to a fine tasting carbohydrate. YUM!!!!!

Eliska

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 11:42:33 AM8/25/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

Apparently you guys never realized what a pager is. Being a busybody,
I'll clue you in.

A "pager" is a device for determining whether an employee is actually
a slave, or whether the employee considers employment to be a trade
between equals (effort for money). At the more enlightened companies,
a pager is the same as a pink slip; they expect you to hand them your
badge when they attempt to give you one.

Consider your parade peed upon if you wish; pagers, bah! Pagers are
no less than the first step toward corporate facism! They are best
avoided by knowing a few good headhunters, keeping your short-term
debt level at zero, and having money in the bank; how to accomplish
that is left as an exercise for the potential pager-victim.

;-)

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 12:16:34 PM8/25/01
"Stan (the Man)" responded to my story about pain and suffering:

> Now *this* was amusing. Ok, folks, you have your benchmark. Get to work.

My pain and suffering amused you, did it? Well glad I could help in some
small way.

PJ (now I'm swearing at Stan)

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 12:29:47 PM8/25/01

PJ wrote:

> "Stan (the Man)" responded to my story about pain and suffering:
> >
> > Now *this* was amusing. Ok, folks, you have your benchmark. Get to work.
>
> My pain and suffering amused you, did it? Well glad I could help in some
> small way.
>
> PJ (now I'm swearing at Stan)

Pffft! Like you're alone.

Stan

KMadeleine

Aug 25, 2001, 12:54:27 PM8/25/01
"PJ" <peggy...@home.com> wrote in news:vOOh7.57887$K6.22710420@news2:

> Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no. Bagels are wonderful things, smeared
> with gobs of cream cheese (is it cream? is it cheese??). But Stan, my
> friend, I would have to disagree with you when you said the *only* good
> bagels are found in New York. There's a wonderful bagel place in
> Boston's Quincy Market; can't remember the name of it but the bagels
> were the best I've ever had.

when i was in boston, i got my bagels in harvard square. i forget
the name of the place but i'd buy a bag of garlic bagels, eat one
or two on the way home, and then my dorm room would *reek* of
garlic until the rest got eaten. it was luverly.

best brownies i've ever had were from faneuil hall. did i spell
that right, and is it the place right next to quincy market?

> We actually have two bagel shops in Muskegon. TWO, count 'em. We're
> slowly becoming civilized here.
>

> Ciao,
> PJ (in my Jeep, heading for the bagel place)

we're just glad to know you're doing your part.

KMadeleine

Aug 25, 2001, 12:56:19 PM8/25/01

> Please tell me that, after having the real deal, you didn't succomb to
> the temptation.
>

> Here's a warning: after eating a real NY bagel, if you try one from
> somewhere else, you will make a scrunched-up face that will only
> embarrass you.

that'd be an improvement, then. normally my scrunched-up face
embarrasses everyone around me!

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 2:00:46 PM8/25/01
<attrib>"PJ" <peggy...@home.com> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-
shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> PJ (now I'm swearing at Stan)

no you're not. i don't see no emoticons here.

--
gekko

When you do a good deed, get a receipt in case heaven is like the IRS.

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 2:03:20 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-shoo-

bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> Consider your parade peed upon if you wish; pagers, bah! Pagers are

> no less than the first step toward corporate facism! They are best
> avoided by knowing a few good headhunters, keeping your short-term
> debt level at zero, and having money in the bank; how to accomplish
> that is left as an exercise for the potential pager-victim.

darl', this is editorial material. work it into a good
frothy, well-written and humorous rant and sell it to a
newspaper or 'zine that likes these things.

i am not, btw, kidding.

--
gekko (and THAT, 'liska, is how one turns one's conversations into
writing-related posts. <GGG>)

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 2:17:39 PM8/25/01
>"PJ" <peggy...@home.com> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-> shoo-bop,
and "gekko" <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> put the ram in the ramalama ding
dong ...

> > PJ (now I'm swearing at Stan)
>
> no you're not. i don't see no emoticons here.

It hurts his feelings when I swear in emoticons.

Ciao,
PJ { ;-) :-) :-D :-/ :-o }

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 2:22:40 PM8/25/01
Whazzat spoke these profound words of wisdom:

> > Consider your parade peed upon if you wish; pagers, bah! Pagers are
> > no less than the first step toward corporate facism! They are best
> > avoided by knowing a few good headhunters, keeping your short-term
> > debt level at zero, and having money in the bank; how to accomplish
> > that is left as an exercise for the potential pager-victim.

THEN, just as the silence deepened and the tension mounted, Ms. Gekko
slithered in, spattered the wall with this message, then skulked back into a
corner watching with a gleam in her beady little eyes:

> darl', this is editorial material. work it into a good
> frothy, well-written and humorous rant and sell it to a
> newspaper or 'zine that likes these things.

I used to carry a pager day and night. Damned thing didn't work half the
time and clients were mad as a hive full of emasculated hornets when I
didn't call them back. So because of that, plus the fact that people accused
me of doing lewd things with it in "vibrate" mode, I threw it into the back
of a drawer, never to be looked at again.

Ciao,
PJ (good thing my cell phone has a vibrate feature)

Wendy Chatley Green

Aug 25, 2001, 2:25:38 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:26:47 -0600, for some
inexplicable reasons, Sara <sara...@qwest.net> wrote:

:On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:35:49 -0500, Wendy Chatley Green

Of course and a brand with as little
sugar/sweetener as I can find.

--
Wendy Chatley Green
wcg...@cris.com

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 2:29:14 PM8/25/01
<attrib>"PJ" <peggy...@home.com> put the bop in the

bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> So because of that, plus the fact that people accused

> me of doing lewd things with it in "vibrate" mode, I threw it into
> the back of a drawer, never to be looked at again.

okay, so, like ... ummmm ... WHAT is the problem with
that? i mean, why ELSE would one agree to carry a
pager? hell, i have mine on now! trouble is, no one
wants to page me, so i have to run a perl script to
send pages to myself.

at least i got one of those with the rechargeable battery.

--
gekko

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 2:33:12 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com> put the bop in the
bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> Of course and a brand with as little

> sugar/sweetener as I can find.

I found one, a year or so ago. No sugar/sweetner added.
just peanuts, with a little salt. Had to stir it, and
keep it in the fridge. Couldn't find it again, though.

Can't even remember the name of it. The kids didn't care
to be stirring it, complained it was too difficult to
spread when it was cold, and really missed their "Skippy"
brand.

*I* liked it, but I don't eat peanut butter often enough
to justify it.

--
gekko

317 is a prime, not because we think so, or because our minds are
shaped in one way rather than another, but because it is so, because
mathematical reality is built that way. - Godfrey Hardy (1877-1947)

Sara

Aug 25, 2001, 2:33:15 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:25:38 -0500, Wendy Chatley Green
<wcgr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:26:47 -0600, for some
>inexplicable reasons, Sara <sara...@qwest.net> wrote:
>
>:On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:35:49 -0500, Wendy Chatley Green
>:<wcgr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>:
>:> Bagels are the perfect vehicle for conveying
>:>cream cheese from container to mouth.
>:>
>:> Same with peanut butter, if it's a garlic
>:>bagel.
>:
>:I knew there was a reason I liked you, Wendy.
>:
>:Sara (*chunky* peanut butter, right?)
>
> Of course and a brand with as little
>sugar/sweetener as I can find.

I love you, you're perfect. Don't ever change.

Sara

PJ

Aug 25, 2001, 2:39:06 PM8/25/01
"gekko" <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> put the ram in the ramalama ding dong,
speaking about her vibrator-stike that, pager-with the message </attrib>

> okay, so, like ... ummmm ... WHAT is the problem with
> that? i mean, why ELSE would one agree to carry a
> pager? hell, i have mine on now! trouble is, no one
> wants to page me, so i have to run a perl script to
> send pages to myself.
>
> at least i got one of those with the rechargeable battery.

My friend, I did not (ooohh!) say there was anything (whoop!) wrong with it,
I wouldn't (aaaahhhh) ever say that because I (yes! yes!) have my cell phone
vibrating (ooh aaahhh!) as we speak.

PJ (cigarette?)

Sara

Aug 25, 2001, 2:35:36 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:33:12 GMT, gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com>
wrote:

><attrib>Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com> put the bop in the
>bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>
>
>> Of course and a brand with as little
>> sugar/sweetener as I can find.
>
>I found one, a year or so ago. No sugar/sweetner added.
>just peanuts, with a little salt. Had to stir it, and
>keep it in the fridge. Couldn't find it again, though.

Adam's?

I recently ate some regular peanut butter I keep around for baking
purposes (you can't use natural pb in cookies, etc.). It tasted like
pure sugar to me. Adam's is good. Trader Joe's also has a great
house brand natural peanut butter, as does Wild Oats. At some places
you can even grind your own from a big vat-o-peanuts. Yummy.

Sara

Wendy Chatley Green

Aug 25, 2001, 2:53:01 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:33:12 GMT, for some inexplicable
reasons, gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

:<attrib>Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com> put the bop in the

:bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>
:
:> Of course and a brand with as little
:> sugar/sweetener as I can find.
:
:I found one, a year or so ago. No sugar/sweetner added.
:just peanuts, with a little salt. Had to stir it, and
:keep it in the fridge. Couldn't find it again, though.
:
:Can't even remember the name of it. The kids didn't care
:to be stirring it, complained it was too difficult to
:spread when it was cold, and really missed their "Skippy"
:brand.
:
:*I* liked it, but I don't eat peanut butter often enough
:to justify it.

Hallam's, which was a Missouri brand, is that
sort of peanut butter. So is Laura Scudder's. Our
kids were never big peanut butter eaters, although they
did like all types of jellies.

I also wrap pills for the dog in peanut butter.
Samms swears that liverwurst is better, but we don't
eat enough of it and the dog doesn't need enough pills
to justify stocking liverwurst.

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 2:59:11 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Sara <sara...@qwest.net> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-

shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> At some places

> you can even grind your own from a big vat-o-peanuts.

that WOULD be good!

One of the things that gripes me about American food
is that the processors started adding sugar to *everything*.

I grew up on sugar, and am only now discovering the joy
and delight of unsugared, more natural foods.

Unfortunately, the kids don't seem to agree with my
assessment concerning less-sugared foods.

The boy selects his orange soda brands based on the
sugar content. I believe he has discovered that
Sunkist (circle R thing) brand has the most sugar,
ergo that is his favorite.

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 3:00:19 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com> put the bop in the
bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> So is Laura Scudder's.

this MAY have been the brand.

--
gekko

The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by
artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when
a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life. -- William
Faulkner

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 2:59:12 PM8/25/01
"PJ" <peggy...@home.com> wrote:

>Whazzat spoke these profound words of wisdom:
>
> > > Consider your parade peed upon if you wish; pagers, bah! Pagers are
>> > no less than the first step toward corporate facism! They are best
>> > avoided by knowing a few good headhunters, keeping your short-term
>> > debt level at zero, and having money in the bank; how to accomplish
>> > that is left as an exercise for the potential pager-victim.
>
>THEN, just as the silence deepened and the tension mounted, Ms. Gekko
>slithered in, spattered the wall with this message, then skulked back into a
>corner watching with a gleam in her beady little eyes:
>>
>> darl', this is editorial material. work it into a good
>> frothy, well-written and humorous rant and sell it to a
>> newspaper or 'zine that likes these things.

Somehow I'm not seeing gekko's original post. Are you serious about
selling rants? It never entered my simple little mind. If rants are
salable it could become a real goldmine for me ;-)

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 3:04:39 PM8/25/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

><attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-shoo-
>bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>
>
>> Consider your parade peed upon if you wish; pagers, bah! Pagers are
>> no less than the first step toward corporate facism! They are best
>> avoided by knowing a few good headhunters, keeping your short-term
>> debt level at zero, and having money in the bank; how to accomplish
>> that is left as an exercise for the potential pager-victim.
>
>darl', this is editorial material. work it into a good
>frothy, well-written and humorous rant and sell it to a
>newspaper or 'zine that likes these things.
>
>i am not, btw, kidding.

Missed your post in that-other-thread, now I see why I wasn't seeing
it there.

I suppose that there is some method to finding buyers for one's rants
that involves reading newspapers and magazines, is that about right?
Or is there a rational method of finding them without wasting many
hours a week reading "olds"?

A now departed (as in buried) friend used to say, "Writers don't read,
writers write!"

(He also used to say that you know a book is finished when they take
it away from you and publish it, so he knowed some stuff.)

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 3:09:27 PM8/25/01
Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

So what kind of sugar do you mix with that brand of peanut butter,
granulated or powdered? I would assume powdered, but with chunky
peanut butter who knows. Seems easier to buy the kind with the sugar
pre-mixed, but if you use lots of jelly on your sammiches I guess it
might not make any difference...

Blanche Nonken

Aug 25, 2001, 3:16:54 PM8/25/01

Me first. Pass me a Yuengling, would you?

Blanche Nonken

Aug 25, 2001, 3:15:48 PM8/25/01
"Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote:

> I'm the only one up, the birds are singing and the joe is hot and
> crunchy, just the way I like it.
>
> Ok, people, do your job--amuse me.
>
> Stan

You should have called me at the bakery. I've been up wince 2:30.

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 3:49:56 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the
bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> I suppose that there is some method to finding buyers for one's

> rants that involves reading newspapers and magazines, is that about
> right? Or is there a rational method of finding them without
> wasting many hours a week reading "olds"?

If you know of papers that offer columns to freelancers
and "regular folk" for pay, that's the place to start.

Check out web sites and books that list markets that look
for op-ed freelancers.

If you have a favorite 'zine, write and ask for their submission
guidelines.

> A now departed (as in buried) friend used to say, "Writers don't
> read, writers write!"

Your departed friend was, imo, wrong.

> (He also used to say that you know a book is finished when they
> take it away from you and publish it, so he knowed some stuff.)

Um, well, "they" don't take it away to publish it, unless
you're very, very lucky, or established. You pretty much
have to force it on 'em and say "see? see? i kin SO right!"

--
gekko (I SO do not agree with the quote below!)

Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.

Blanche Nonken

Aug 25, 2001, 3:18:42 PM8/25/01
"Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote:

> PJ wrote:

> > Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no. Bagels are wonderful things, smeared with
> > gobs of cream cheese (is it cream? is it cheese??). But Stan, my friend, I
> > would have to disagree with you when you said the *only* good bagels are
> > found in New York.
>

> Here we go again.

> > There's a wonderful bagel place in Boston's Quincy
> > Market; can't remember the name of it but the bagels were the best I've ever
> > had.
>

> I'm sure.

I make good bagels. And bialys. Can't find good bialys in Philly 'cept
when I make 'em.

Blanche Nonken

Aug 25, 2001, 3:20:13 PM8/25/01
KMadeleine <KMade...@home.com> wrote:

> best brownies i've ever had were from faneuil hall. did i spell
> that right, and is it the place right next to quincy market?

The Night Kitchen just won Best of Philly '01 in the Brownie category.
Neener neener.

Blanche Nonken

Aug 25, 2001, 3:25:05 PM8/25/01
Wendy Chatley Green <wcgr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> At 7a.m., the pager goes off. I grab the phone
> and call in. PHL baggage handling (airline will remain
> nameless) is reporting problems--flights are
> disappearing from their task assignment screens.

Gosh. I'm shocked.

> I'm patched into PHL via phone, where I
> discover that the airline, which insisted on doing the
> setup and training on our software so that they would
> save the cost of travel and expenses for us to do it,
> didn't set it up correctly and only gave their new
> users 2 hours of training--we give them 36 hours' of
> it.

Oh, this *never* happens.

> Those new users came in today to practice.
> When they couldn't figure out how to set up their
> workstations, they walked over to another workgroup,
> asked how they had their version of our software set
> up, then duplicated those settings on their
> workstations. They now were seeing the other
> workgroup's tasks on their screens so they assigned
> those tasks to their own employees, leaving those
> baggage handling tasks unassigned for the actual
> flights.

I did something similar years ago, at Volt Information Sciences, when
trying to set up a job while the programmer who had been helping me was
out sick. He had told me to poke around, because I didn't know enough
to hurt anything.

Tee hee.

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 3:54:04 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-shoo-
bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> Somehow I'm not seeing gekko's original post. Are you serious about
> selling rants? It never entered my simple little mind. If rants are
> salable it could become a real goldmine for me ;-)

Back to writing-related, but, since you seem to wanna keep
this in this thread so's you'll see it (or I could suggest
XNews as a newsreader, which will automatically mark followups
to your posts for you) ... I'll not mark it as such.

SOME editorialists/freelancers get their start by writing
(for free) well-crafted letters to the editor. Depends on
the paper, of course. I don't see the big corporate-owned
chain-type papers doing this. But I've heard of it being
done. You write your opinion well, and fairly regularly,
and they like it, and then, after a time, you approach them
with an offer to do it for pay.

That's not necessarily a -good- way to do it. Hopefully
one of the op-ed writer-types on this group (Dick? Hello?)
will weigh in (sorry) and let us know the -best- way to
become a paid ranter.

But yes. If you read editorial columns, you are reading something
that is essentially a paid rant.

--
gekko

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 3:56:03 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-shoo-
bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> if you use lots of jelly on your sammiches I guess it

> might not make any difference...

along with the natural-style p-nut butter, I found a jar
of pureed fruit. just fruit. no sugar added. it has
its own sugar, of course, but far less than store-bought
jelly does.

so. natural, unsweetened peanut butter, spread with
spreadable raspberries ... mmmmmm.

and not overly sugary.

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 4:09:07 PM8/25/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

><attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-shoo-
>bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>
>
>> if you use lots of jelly on your sammiches I guess it
>> might not make any difference...
>>

>along with the natural-style p-nut butter, I found a jar
>of pureed fruit. just fruit. no sugar added. it has
>its own sugar, of course, but far less than store-bought
>jelly does.
>
>so. natural, unsweetened peanut butter, spread with
>spreadable raspberries ... mmmmmm.
>
>and not overly sugary.

Ugh, pass the Jolt Cola willya?

George Polecek

Aug 25, 2001, 4:30:43 PM8/25/01

"Blanche Nonken" <mombl...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

--all of which led to you finding your true calling: making sticky buns.

--George

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 4:27:04 PM8/25/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>> (He also used to say that you know a book is finished when they
>> take it away from you and publish it, so he knowed some stuff.)
>>

>Um, well, "they" don't take it away to publish it, unless
>you're very, very lucky, or established. You pretty much
>have to force it on 'em and say "see? see? i kin SO right!"

Freelancing is (presumably) very different from the technical writing
we were doing at the time. We were employees, assigned certain books,
and they did literally take them away and publish them whether we
considered them "done" or not. It was a turrible thing. Either not
quite as bad as wearing a pager, or a little worse, I'm not sure.

As for his "writers don't read, they write" saying, it's not meant to
be taken literally but is an allegorical statement that most (or
perhaps only many) writers are terminally opinionated.

What I meant by my use of it was that I read a lot but I don't waste
my time reading hardcopy newspapers, and usually don't read magazines
for the same reason; most are filled with the same tired recurring
themes, and for timeliness of information the internet beats them
hands down. Newspapers get ink on your hands, usually for no good
reason.

There are of course exceptions to most things. Usually. When the
moon is in proper phase.

doyle

Aug 25, 2001, 3:48:15 PM8/25/01

> Wendy Chatley Green wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:00:22 GMT, for some inexplicable
> > reasons, "Stan (the Man)" <sk...@optonline.net> wrote:
> >
> > :I'm the only one up, the birds are singing and the joe is hot and

> > :crunchy, just the way I like it.
> > :
> > :Ok, people, do your job--amuse me.
> >
> > Saturday is the only day during which I can
> > sleep late. This week, I have the support pager for
> > our software.

> > At 7a.m., the pager goes off. I grab the phone
> > and call in. PHL baggage handling (airline will remain
> > nameless) is reporting problems--flights are
> > disappearing from their task assignment screens.
> >
> > I'm patched into PHL via phone, where I
> > discover that the airline, which insisted on doing the
> > setup and training on our software so that they would
> > save the cost of travel and expenses for us to do it,
> > didn't set it up correctly and only gave their new
> > users 2 hours of training--we give them 36 hours' of
> > it.
> >
> > Those new users came in today to practice.
> > When they couldn't figure out how to set up their
> > workstations, they walked over to another workgroup,
> > asked how they had their version of our software set
> > up, then duplicated those settings on their
> > workstations. They now were seeing the other
> > workgroup's tasks on their screens so they assigned
> > those tasks to their own employees, leaving those
> > baggage handling tasks unassigned for the actual
> > flights.
> >
> > It took over an hour to straighten things out.
> > I was 37 minuntes into the problem before I could free
> > things up enough to make coffee.
> >
> > Forget entertaining you--get me another hour of
> > sleep.
>
> This was not amusing. Next!

LD, Da Kid's lizard, is shedding.

Oh, and the Sears Schmuck was here at 9 ayem to fix the lawn tractor . . .
again.

--
Donna
-----------------

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 5:13:46 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the
bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>>> (He also used to say that you know a book is finished when they
>>> take it away from you and publish it, so he knowed some stuff.)
>>>

>>Um, well, "they" don't take it away to publish it, unless
>>you're very, very lucky, or established. You pretty much have to
>>force it on 'em and say "see? see? i kin SO right!"
>
> Freelancing is (presumably) very different from the technical
> writing we were doing at the time. We were employees, assigned
> certain books, and they did literally take them away and publish
> them whether we considered them "done" or not. It was a turrible
> thing. Either not quite as bad as wearing a pager, or a little
> worse, I'm not sure.

I've done technical writing, so, yes, I can concur. And, yes.
Freelance journalism and column-writing is different. There is
a bit less research (still good to be familiar with your topic
and have facts readily at hand to shore up your rant, of course),
a good deal more excitement and fun.

There's still deadlines to meet.

> As for his "writers don't read, they write" saying, it's not meant
> to be taken literally but is an allegorical statement that most (or
> perhaps only many) writers are terminally opinionated.

Hmmm. The statement is true, but I think "you had to be there"
to get the meaning out of what your friend said. The context
is not a natural one.

> What I meant by my use of it was that I read a lot but I don't
> waste my time reading hardcopy newspapers, and usually don't read
> magazines for the same reason; most are filled with the same tired
> recurring themes, and for timeliness of information the internet
> beats them hands down. Newspapers get ink on your hands, usually
> for no good reason.

I subscribe (for free) to many newspapers that have on-line editions.
The New York Times, The Arizona Republic, Newsday ... several others.
I sometimes read them, when I want hard news (although going to the
wire services on-line is usually sufficient when I'm looking for news
upon which to opine). I usually use them to look stuff up, or to get
an idea of the market I may submit to.

Ditto, magazines.

When I get an idea for a short story or a column, I find potential
markets using Writer's Market 2001, then go out and purchase a
copy of the 'zine or paper (or look at the on-line version, or
write and ask for a copy), and then aim my piece toward those
markets, following their guidelines.

I -do- have a few favorite magazines I read for pleasure. You'll
not see me submitting work to Biblical Archaeology Review, for
example, since I am not a Biblical scholar nor an archaeologist.
But I read it, because the stuff they publish and the photos
fascinate me.

> There are of course exceptions to most things. Usually. When the
> moon is in proper phase.

I understand this. Scary, huh?

--
gekko

666i BMW of the Beast

Blanche Nonken

Aug 25, 2001, 5:06:35 PM8/25/01
"George Polecek" <sir...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> --all of which led to you finding your true calling: making sticky buns.

Listen, Mr. Polecat. Just because my buns are stickier than yours
doesn't give you the right to poke fun at my trade.

George Polecek

Aug 25, 2001, 5:55:06 PM8/25/01

"Blanche Nonken" <mombl...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

okay then i trade you even stephen two yughostslovakian nüssen brovitzka for
two sticky bun which you make from scratches.

--George

doyle

Aug 25, 2001, 5:46:53 PM8/25/01

"Blanche Nonken" <mombl...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

<whimper>

I mean, YAHOO!

--
dOnnA (I want one)
-----------------------

Keltic

Aug 25, 2001, 5:58:54 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:00:22 GMT, "Stan (the Man)"
<sk...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Ok, people, do your job--amuse me.

Don't know if it's amusing, but I'm somewhat bemused... drank maybe a
quart of lemonade (7-Up) watching DVDs last night. I woke up with
symptoms of hangover - pissing like a racehorse, headache, grouchy as
a bear on crack...

There's no justice.

Cheers, Keltic

Check out my movie reviews at:
http://comments.imdb.com/CommentsAuthor?104469

Keltic

Aug 25, 2001, 6:01:37 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:59:11 GMT, gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com>
wrote:

>I grew up on sugar, and am only now discovering the joy
>and delight of unsugared, more natural foods.

I read part of a book a while back... Lenson, _On Drugs_. He made an
argument for sugar as the primal addiction:

"...watching children in line at the supermarket or at the candy
counter of a convenience store suggests that sugar may be the
primordial drug for neophytes. Children's famous avidity for sweets
clearly resembles drug hunger at its most urgent" (1995:159)

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 6:27:14 PM8/25/01
<attrib>Keltic <kel...@SPAM.zip.com.au> put the bop in the bop-shoo-

bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>

> Don't know if it's amusing, but I'm somewhat bemused... drank maybe a
> quart of lemonade (7-Up) watching DVDs last night. I woke up with
> symptoms of hangover - pissing like a racehorse, headache, grouchy as
> a bear on crack...

ice cream. get ice cream. trust me.

--
gekko

One thing vampire children have to be taught early on is, don't run
with a wooden stake.

Keltic

Aug 25, 2001, 6:33:58 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:27:14 GMT, gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com>
wrote:

><attrib>Keltic <kel...@SPAM.zip.com.au> put the bop in the bop-shoo-
>bop-shoo-bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>
>> Don't know if it's amusing, but I'm somewhat bemused... drank maybe a
>> quart of lemonade (7-Up) watching DVDs last night. I woke up with
>> symptoms of hangover - pissing like a racehorse, headache, grouchy as
>> a bear on crack...
>
>ice cream. get ice cream. trust me.

Worth a try. Coffee hasn't budged it.

Cheers, keltic

Blanche Nonken

Aug 25, 2001, 7:33:36 PM8/25/01
"doyle" <dfd...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> "Blanche Nonken" <mombl...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > KMadeleine <KMade...@home.com> wrote:
> >
> > > best brownies i've ever had were from faneuil hall. did i spell
> > > that right, and is it the place right next to quincy market?
> >
> > The Night Kitchen just won Best of Philly '01 in the Brownie category.
> > Neener neener.
>
> <whimper>
>
> I mean, YAHOO!

I'll tell Cheryl. She makes 'em. You might be able to talk Amy into
sending you some. www.nightkitchenbakery.com

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 7:27:05 PM8/25/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>And, yes.
>Freelance journalism and column-writing is different. There is
>a bit less research (still good to be familiar with your topic
>and have facts readily at hand to shore up your rant, of course),
>a good deal more excitement and fun.
>
>There's still deadlines to meet.

Ugh. That just flat takes a big chunk out of the fun. Nothing like
somebody standing behind me with a whip to make me want to turn around
and attack.

>> As for his "writers don't read, they write" saying, it's not meant
>> to be taken literally but is an allegorical statement that most (or
>> perhaps only many) writers are terminally opinionated.
>
>Hmmm. The statement is true, but I think "you had to be there"
>to get the meaning out of what your friend said. The context
>is not a natural one.

Do you mean to tell me that it's not a universally accepted truth that
writers are more opinionated than just about everybody, and would
prefer to make up the details rather than research facts? Whew! I'm
willing to accept that the allegory is unclear or that my presentation
was lame, but I'm getting the fuzzy idea that maybe my grasp on
reality isn't the same one everybody else thinks they have.

<snip>

>When I get an idea for a short story or a column, I find potential
>markets using Writer's Market 2001, then go out and purchase a
>copy of the 'zine or paper (or look at the on-line version, or
>write and ask for a copy), and then aim my piece toward those
>markets, following their guidelines.

I'm not writing for money at the moment. In fact I'm not sure what
I'm doing at the moment. I think I'm supposed to write the great
american novel or something, but actually at the moment I'm fairly
clueless about what writing has to do with me at this stage of the
game. I find myself sitting at the computer, and I find myself typing
words, but writing? Boy, I dunno. I wanted to be a writer when I was
a kid, right after I discovered how much mess you had to clean up
after playing with a chemistry set, but I still haven't figured out
what it is that I want to write. Been a long damn time, too.

<snip>

>> There are of course exceptions to most things. Usually. When the
>> moon is in proper phase.
>
>I understand this. Scary, huh?

You do? Yes, that's definitely scary. You wouldn't happen to know
any tricks for recognizing an incipient exception, would you?

gekko

Aug 25, 2001, 8:04:32 PM8/25/01
<attrib>"If this doesn't crash Usenet, nothing will," Whazzat
<no...@nomail.hah> said as the button was pushed to send
news:lacgotocgtv8anq4l...@4ax.com out into misc.writing
to proclaim:</attrib>

> gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>And, yes.
>>Freelance journalism and column-writing is different. There is
>>a bit less research (still good to be familiar with your topic
>>and have facts readily at hand to shore up your rant, of course), a
>>good deal more excitement and fun.
>>
>>There's still deadlines to meet.
>
> Ugh. That just flat takes a big chunk out of the fun. Nothing
> like somebody standing behind me with a whip to make me want to
> turn around and attack.

<snicker>

I'm an engineer ... BSEE degree. But I develop software (or
did before I became one of *them*, a pointy-haired boss). I
have clear memories of the time there was some major bug in
the software, and marketing was all aflutter, and the bosses
were all in a tizzy, and I was supposed to fix the software.

The idiots *stood behind me*, literally, and discussed
the issue as I attempted to work.

I finally stopped trying. I sat there, quietly for a moment
and waited for them to notice. Then I turned around, glared
at them, and said, "If you're serious about wanting this
stuff fixed, then perhaps you'll find it fixed *sooner* if you
don't BREATHE DOWN MY NECK!"

(I was buds with the bosses and marketing types. They put up
with me.)

(Do not try this at home.)

But, for a freelancer, NOT meeting the deadline means not getting
the money or the publishing credit. It's sort of an incentive
thingie.

>>> As for his "writers don't read, they write" saying, it's not
>>> meant to be taken literally but is an allegorical statement that
>>> most (or perhaps only many) writers are terminally opinionated.
>>
>>Hmmm. The statement is true, but I think "you had to be there"
>>to get the meaning out of what your friend said. The context is
>>not a natural one.
>
> Do you mean to tell me that it's not a universally accepted truth
> that writers are more opinionated than just about everybody, and
> would prefer to make up the details rather than research facts?
> Whew! I'm willing to accept that the allegory is unclear or that
> my presentation was lame, but I'm getting the fuzzy idea that maybe
> my grasp on reality isn't the same one everybody else thinks they
> have.

Let me try again.

I do indeed share your belief that writers are more opinionated
than most anyone else. Rather, opinionated people tend to also
be writers, or want to be writers. In my belief, of course. No
hard fast data to back THAT one up, I can tell you!

However, the statement that your friend made in order to capture
that notion does not naturally lend itself to that meaning. Further,
it is inherently wrong, as all the truly *good* writers do indeed
read and research. There's little more upsetting than being
flipped on your ass when someone exposes a mistake in your work
that is derived from you shooting off your big mouth (so to speak)
without having researched it.

> <snip>
>
>>When I get an idea for a short story or a column, I find potential
>>markets using Writer's Market 2001, then go out and purchase a
>>copy of the 'zine or paper (or look at the on-line version, or
>>write and ask for a copy), and then aim my piece toward those
>>markets, following their guidelines.
>
> I'm not writing for money at the moment.

I am.

> In fact I'm not sure what
> I'm doing at the moment.

Posting to Usenet, I'd say.

> I think I'm supposed to write the great
> american novel or something, but actually at the moment I'm fairly
> clueless about what writing has to do with me at this stage of the
> game.

The great american novel, eh? <kof>

> I find myself sitting at the computer, and I find myself
> typing words, but writing? Boy, I dunno. I wanted to be a writer
> when I was a kid, right after I discovered how much mess you had to
> clean up after playing with a chemistry set, but I still haven't
> figured out what it is that I want to write. Been a long damn
> time, too.

Well ... um, DO let us all know the moment you figure it out,
eh?

> <snip>
>
>>> There are of course exceptions to most things. Usually. When
>>> the moon is in proper phase.
>>
>>I understand this. Scary, huh?
>
> You do? Yes, that's definitely scary. You wouldn't happen to know
> any tricks for recognizing an incipient exception, would you?

It's a gut-feel thing, IMO. A niggle, twibbling in the back of
the brain, making the stem feel itchy. Could be those bear
sausages you et, or maybe, just maybe, there's something *not
quite right*. If you turn to look behind you, and find a large-ish
darkhaired bearded man with a nasty gleam in his eye rummaging
through your fridge, slap him on the ass and tell him gekko
says "hey."

Then get the HELL out of your house.

--
gekko (affability through obscurity)

Should vegetarians eat animal crackers?

KMadeleine

Aug 25, 2001, 8:28:41 PM8/25/01
Blanche Nonken <mombl...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

purposeful typo or not? either way, i love it and am sure to borrow it.

KMadeleine

Aug 25, 2001, 8:32:17 PM8/25/01
Keltic <kel...@SPAM.zip.com.au> wrote in

> On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:00:22 GMT, "Stan (the Man)"
> <sk...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>Ok, people, do your job--amuse me.
>
> Don't know if it's amusing, but I'm somewhat bemused... drank maybe a
> quart of lemonade (7-Up) watching DVDs last night. I woke up with
> symptoms of hangover - pissing like a racehorse, headache, grouchy as
> a bear on crack...
>
> There's no justice.

you have my sympathy. but isn't it at least a little better to know
that it wasn't your fault?

i'm rooting for you. i have several family members who've had
success with the 12-step thing, and several more that i never got
to meet [maybe they ought to have tried it]. but the more i learn
about this australia place [i heard they had really poisonous spiders,
but now bears on crack???], i may never be brave enough to visit.

KMadeleine

Aug 25, 2001, 8:39:47 PM8/25/01
"PJ" <peggy...@home.com> wrote in news:ehSh7.58297$K6.22932616@news2:

> "gekko" <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> put the ram in the ramalama ding
> dong, speaking about her vibrator-stike that, pager-with the message
> </attrib>
>

>> okay, so, like ... ummmm ... WHAT is the problem with
>> that? i mean, why ELSE would one agree to carry a
>> pager? hell, i have mine on now! trouble is, no one
>> wants to page me, so i have to run a perl script to
>> send pages to myself.
>>
>> at least i got one of those with the rechargeable battery.
>
> My friend, I did not (ooohh!) say there was anything (whoop!) wrong
> with it, I wouldn't (aaaahhhh) ever say that because I (yes! yes!) have
> my cell phone vibrating (ooh aaahhh!) as we speak.

anybody see 'keeping the faith'--edward norton, ben stiller, jenna
elfman? there's a hilarious deleted scene on the DVD with her
vibrating cell phone.

> PJ (cigarette?)

i recently found out that candy cigarettes aren't called those anymore.
they're either 'candy sticks' or just 'candy'. but they still come in
the boxes with funny brand names on them, and one end is still painted
red. like that's gonna fool little kids. i bought some anyway, cuz i
love them, but it really made me roll my eyes.

Whazzat

Aug 25, 2001, 9:08:47 PM8/25/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>> Ugh. That just flat takes a big chunk out of the fun. Nothing
>> like somebody standing behind me with a whip to make me want to
>> turn around and attack.
>
><snicker>
>
>I'm an engineer ... BSEE degree. But I develop software (or
>did before I became one of *them*, a pointy-haired boss). I
>have clear memories of the time there was some major bug in
>the software, and marketing was all aflutter, and the bosses
>were all in a tizzy, and I was supposed to fix the software.
>
>The idiots *stood behind me*, literally, and discussed
>the issue as I attempted to work.
>
>I finally stopped trying. I sat there, quietly for a moment
>and waited for them to notice. Then I turned around, glared
>at them, and said, "If you're serious about wanting this
>stuff fixed, then perhaps you'll find it fixed *sooner* if you
>don't BREATHE DOWN MY NECK!"
>
>(I was buds with the bosses and marketing types. They put up
>with me.)
>
>(Do not try this at home.)

Oddly enough I hold a BSCS and I've had similar experiences; usually
asking whether they would prefer watching while I sit on my ass and
drink coffee, or not watching while I deliver the goods, is
sufficient. It doesn't matter whether you're buds or not; what
matters is how much you need the job, as opposed to how much they need
the goods. I tend to exhibit teret's symptoms when upset, and
basically have never cared whether I needed the job or not. Oh well.
Once I had an opportunity to become a pointy-haired boss, and I almost
went for it, but then it occurred to me that I might someday be faced
with an employee like myself and decided to stay in the trenches. If
you've been a pointy-haired boss for long and are still sane, I salute
you.

>But, for a freelancer, NOT meeting the deadline means not getting
>the money or the publishing credit. It's sort of an incentive
>thingie.

Yeah, I understand that. I just have a problem with the penalty side
of all incentives. Huge character flaw, one of many.

> There's little more upsetting than being
>flipped on your ass when someone exposes a mistake in your work
>that is derived from you shooting off your big mouth (so to speak)
>without having researched it.

Agreed; it's okay to be a fool unless they find out, and they always
find out, so don't even go there.

>> I think I'm supposed to write the great
>> american novel or something, but actually at the moment I'm fairly
>> clueless about what writing has to do with me at this stage of the
>> game.
>
>The great american novel, eh? <kof>

That's a new one on me, what's <kof>? Is it like ROFL?

Keltic

Aug 25, 2001, 9:25:48 PM8/25/01
On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 00:32:17 GMT, KMadeleine <KMade...@home.com>
wrote:

>you have my sympathy. but isn't it at least a little better to know
>that it wasn't your fault?

Sort of. Headache's the same, though.

>i'm rooting for you. i have several family members who've had
>success with the 12-step thing, and several more that i never got
>to meet [maybe they ought to have tried it]. but the more i learn
>about this australia place [i heard they had really poisonous spiders,
>but now bears on crack???], i may never be brave enough to visit.

Australian wildlife is innocuous enough, as long as you don't piss it
off ;)

Cheers, keltic

Gaiawar

Aug 25, 2001, 9:35:15 PM8/25/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns910870771...@24.1.240.74>...
> <attrib>Whazzat <no...@nomail.hah> put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-shoo-

> bop, and, furthermore, said:</attrib>
>
> > Consider your parade peed upon if you wish; pagers, bah! Pagers are
> > no less than the first step toward corporate facism! They are best
> > avoided by knowing a few good headhunters, keeping your short-term
> > debt level at zero, and having money in the bank; how to accomplish
> > that is left as an exercise for the potential pager-victim.
>
> darl', this is editorial material. work it into a good
> frothy, well-written and humorous rant and sell it to a
> newspaper or 'zine that likes these things.
>
> i am not, btw, kidding.

No kidding, Gekko. You, the living, have noticed the dearth of zeal
for foresighted sensibility. As I write, the local school system
crashes beyond recovery for several reasons which I foresaw thirty
years ago.
-
Gaiawar

Donna deMedicis

Aug 25, 2001, 9:47:00 PM8/25/01

Keltic wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 00:32:17 GMT, KMadeleine <KMade...@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> >you have my sympathy. but isn't it at least a little better to know
> >that it wasn't your fault?
>
> Sort of. Headache's the same, though.

Are you a smoker? I'm wondering which is toughest, kicking booze or
smokes . . .

> >i'm rooting for you.

Me too.

However, I hope it won't impact your career as Master Ironer.

Donna

Keltic

Aug 25, 2001, 9:58:01 PM8/25/01
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 21:47:00 -0400, Donna deMedicis
<adl...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Are you a smoker? I'm wondering which is toughest, kicking booze or
>smokes . . .

Nope. One vice I never picked up... not tobacco, anyway.

>However, I hope it won't impact your career as Master Ironer.

Nah, I still like to iron.

Cheers, Keltic

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 10:11:20 PM8/25/01

Nice try, no cigar. Step lively folks. Next!

Stan

Eliska

Aug 25, 2001, 10:44:44 PM8/25/01

Stan, you're a hard man to please.

Eliska

Stan (the Man)

Aug 25, 2001, 11:42:33 PM8/25/01

And a hard man is good to find.

Stan (or something like that)

Blanche Nonken

Aug 26, 2001, 3:35:47 AM8/26/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> I'm an engineer ... BSEE degree. But I develop software (or
> did before I became one of *them*, a pointy-haired boss).

<sigh> You hiring? Are there cheap wooded semi-rural properties out
there less than an hour's drive?

(Jeff's still looking.)

Blanche Nonken

Aug 26, 2001, 3:36:19 AM8/26/01
KMadeleine <KMade...@home.com> wrote:

Accidental. And here I go to work again.

Hugh Watkins

Aug 26, 2001, 1:44:59 AM8/26/01
peggy...@home.com,Ny-Internet writes:

>Okay, how's this: I was jolted awake at 6 a.m. by the sounds of a
>horrendous

I was really tired after driving taxi all night so went home and straight
to bed no puter no alcohol

now I have 628 files to scan in MW
(two and a half days)

oh dear

Hugh W

gekko

Aug 26, 2001, 9:39:47 AM8/26/01
<attrib>Money talks. Blanche Nonken <mombl...@bigfoot.com> posts
this:</attrib>

> gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm an engineer ... BSEE degree. But I develop software (or did
>> before I became one of *them*, a pointy-haired boss).
>
> <sigh> You hiring?

No.

> Are there cheap wooded semi-rural properties out
> there less than an hour's drive?

more like a three hour drive (a three hour drive)

> (Jeff's still looking.)

The Personal Communication Sector of my company is in your
part of the world. They're the ones who make the pagers
and cellphones and other hand sets.

If the economy turns around, maybe they'll be looking.

--
gekko

Getting the job done is no excuse for not following the rules.

Blanche Nonken

Aug 26, 2001, 1:02:24 PM8/26/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> <attrib>Money talks. Blanche Nonken <mombl...@bigfoot.com> posts
> this:</attrib>
>
> > gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I'm an engineer ... BSEE degree. But I develop software (or did
> >> before I became one of *them*, a pointy-haired boss).
> >
> > <sigh> You hiring?
>
> No.
>
> > Are there cheap wooded semi-rural properties out
> > there less than an hour's drive?
>
> more like a three hour drive (a three hour drive)

Eew.

> > (Jeff's still looking.)
> >

> The Personal Communication Sector of my company is in your
> part of the world. They're the ones who make the pagers
> and cellphones and other hand sets.
>
> If the economy turns around, maybe they'll be looking.

Would they need any Beddies?

gekko

Aug 26, 2001, 2:07:08 PM8/26/01
<attrib>We don't need no education. We don't need no thought control.
All we need is misc.writing, where we can read
news:5saiot4qi1cuagsk9...@4ax.com from Blanche Nonken
<mombl...@bigfoot.com>, which says:</attrib>

Said I:

>> The Personal Communication Sector of my company is in your
>> part of the world. They're the ones who make the pagers
>> and cellphones and other hand sets.
>>
>> If the economy turns around, maybe they'll be looking.
>
> Would they need any Beddies?

Bouncing Beddies?

You tell me what a Beddie is, and I'll tell you if they
need one.

--
gekko

Program (pro'-gram) [n] A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it
to turn one's input into error messages.

Blanche Nonken

Aug 26, 2001, 2:45:00 PM8/26/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Bouncing Beddies?
>
> You tell me what a Beddie is, and I'll tell you if they
> need one.

Embedded Systems Software Engineer. A beddie. YOU know.

gekko

Aug 26, 2001, 3:45:27 PM8/26/01
news:lsgiotk3j4oavamvu...@4ax.com from Blanche Nonken
<mombl...@bigfoot.com>, which says:</attrib>

> gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

Oh! Yes, all the handsets are embedded systems, of
course. There're also testbeds for the handsets, for
the production lines and repair depots, and those are
embedded. Developed one of those pieces of test
equipment, in fact ... have a patent for the user
interface for it.

Never heard that term, however.

--
gekko

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Blanche Nonken

Aug 26, 2001, 4:06:17 PM8/26/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Developed one of those pieces of test
> equipment, in fact ... have a patent for the user
> interface for it.

Ooh. Stay away from my husband, bitch. :-)

So, you guys aren't hiring any beddies?

Blanche Nonken

Aug 26, 2001, 4:05:34 PM8/26/01
gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Never heard that term, however.

That's 'cause I just made it up.

gekko

Aug 26, 2001, 4:43:32 PM8/26/01
<attrib>I asked for a puppy. Instead, Blanche Nonken
<mombl...@bigfoot.com> posted in

no. we guys work with developing software that runs
atop RTOS's on CPCI cards in HA chasses. Infrastructure
for 2.5 and 3G mobile communications, innit.

some C++ and OO development, but mostly C ... if you care
for that kinda thing.

and, sadly, we're not hiring.

--
gekko

Cogito Eggo Sum

Glynne Gilmore

Aug 26, 2001, 5:00:18 PM8/26/01
Stan (the Man) wrote:

[ ... ]

> doyle wrote:

> > LD, Da Kid's lizard, is shedding.
> >
> > Oh, and the Sears Schmuck was here at 9 ayem to fix the lawn tractor . . .
> > again.
>
> Nice try, no cigar. Step lively folks. Next!

Yesterday morning -- Saturday morning -- I browsed through the church's
bargain hunt. Didn't find any bargains, but I imbibed in some delicious
carrot soup that our priest made and bought eight yummy homemade
chocolate cupcakes with finely chopped almonds sprinkled on top.

This morning -- Sunday morning -- our priest gave his last service for
three weeks. He's vacationing to England, France, and Belgium. Lucky man
of God! I feel lucky, too, because today is my son's 18th birthday, and
he's lucky because his mother and girlfriend are doting on him.

Glynne
Nothing amusing here so carry on ...

It is loading more messages.