read this...

1 view

June Baker

Jan 7, 2001, 5:57:45 AM1/7/01
> this was written by me on October 14th 2k. i want people to read this
> essay i wrote in english class...download the file and check it out,
thanx.
> I really want you to sit down and honestly read what i have to say.

Put it in an e-mail.
You won't find many people brave enough to open attachments.

nancy

Jan 7, 2001, 10:26:46 AM1/7/01
If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose? I asked
fjb...@iinet.net.au (June Baker), who responded on misc.writing in
this way:

>You won't find many people brave enough to open attachments.

oh, june. glad you're still here. i seem to
recall someone saying something about alt.fiction.original.

i have NOT been there myself. dunno a thing about it,
but it MAY be just the place you're seeking for posting
your own work without the pressure of competition or
snarky comments.

one of the alt.writers who uses alt.writing to do his
"performance art" flaming swears by a.f.o. as a place
where he can do his "serious" work.

If ignorance is bliss and patience is a virtue, you can have a
pretty good life if you're stupid and willing to wait.

Alma Hromic

Jan 7, 2001, 11:02:18 AM1/7/01
On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 02:49:13 -0400, "william giraldi"
<gang...@njcc.com> wrote:

> this was written by me on October 14th 2k. i want people to read this
>essay i wrote in english class...download the file and check it out, thanx.
>I really want you to sit down and honestly read what i have to say.

put it on a website and post the url. in today's virus-happy
environments, i can't think why anyone would open an attachment coming
from someone they don't know, even if it was advertised as a new
novella by stephen king and not an essay for english class.

A.
***************************
"If you want a happy ending that depends, of course, on where you stop your story."
Orson Welles

Bill Palmer

Jan 7, 2001, 11:43:50 AM1/7/01
In article <3a584be9$0$99...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>,
"June Baker" <fjb...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

As far as intelligent use of Usenet, the person could also
put the essay in rec.arts.prose, alt.prose, and in any
other newsgroup where it is on topic (i.e., in soc.culture.
france, if it is about French culture). Now, that would
in no way guarantee the person a response, either. But
if she made it clear what she was asking for, in a note
typed above her essay, she MIGHT get some interesting or
even helpful reactions. I agree that the way she is going
about it now is not the wisest course of action.

alt.genius.bill-palmer

Mugwump

Jan 7, 2001, 10:01:35 AM1/7/01

william giraldi wrote:

> this was written by me on October 14th 2k. i want people to read this
> essay i wrote in english class...download the file and check it out, thanx.
> I really want you to sit down and honestly read what i have to say.

And I really want a new computer. How about a trade?

> Name: letter.doc
> letter.doc Type: Winword File (application/msword)
> Encoding: x-uuencode

Mugwump

Jan 7, 2001, 2:07:41 PM1/7/01

william giraldi wrote:

> this was written by me on October 14th 2k. i want people to read this
> essay i wrote in english class...download the file and check it out, thanx.
> I really want you to sit down and honestly read what i have to say.

There is something fishy sounding in the way you worded that. You didn't
even give a hint as to what the essay is about, and your last sentence is also
strangely vague. It seems like it would be more natural to say, "My essay is
about such and such, "Please read it and tell me what you think". Your last
sentence however sounds more a come-on line just to get us to open it. It
doesn't sound like you have any more idea than we do as to what we are about to
read if we open it up. You could have at least made up a hypothetical subject.
Aparently you don't have that much imagination. So it's hard for me to believe
you are a writer at all. It only makes me think there is acctually nothing in
there to read. Just exactly what 'is' in there anyway? As they say, "Beware of
Greeks bearing gifts".

If you had of been on the level you would have responded to some of the
comments when you came back. But you didn't. Just how stupid do you think we
are anyway?

Bill Palmer

Jan 7, 2001, 5:31:39 PM1/7/01
In article <3A58BE7D...@postoffice.swbell.net>,
Mugwump <jand...@postoffice.swbell.net> wrote:

I agree that something seems to be rotten in the state of Denmark.
Certainly, many of us have been cheated out of valuable on-line
minutes by people who have cajoled us into visiting websites to
do little more than view virtual rubbish heaps. In some cases,
they have done this for lucre, such those who are ABUSING
Themestream and this group, for instance (and I don't mean those
writers among us who make good use of Themestream to display well-
crafted or even not so well crafted articles that are unique
in some way). My own strong feeling is this: If something that
a writer or wannabe wants to get reader-reactions to is brief, let
us say two-thousand words or less (and there are no special graphics
that must accompany it) an honest person looking for criticism and
suggestions for improving his or her work would do far better by
putting the article in an appropriate newsgroup, where readers
could take it or leave it. I've had it with website diddlers who
waste newsgroup bandwidth while pestering us advertising things
they would be posting IF they were sincerely seeking reader
reaction.

alt.genius.bill-palmer