Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Blyte 1.0, a new screenwriting program, released

36 views
Skip to first unread message

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 10:13:12 AM12/19/04
to
We've just released Blyte 1.0, the first public release of our new
screenwriting software. Interested parties should check out our website at
http://www.oskusoft.com/ for more information, including a downloadable
evaluation version.

Some highlights of Blyte compared to other screenwriting programs:

* Fully cross-platform, with Windows and Linux versions available now and
a Mac OS X version coming soon. Blyte works identically on all platforms
and produces the exact same output, so you can freely switch between
computing environments or collaborate with someone using a different
platform.

* A character name database containing over 200,000 names with
nationality and male/female information for each.

* Can generate a graph showing all the character's speaking on a given
page for the entire script, along with the proportion of dialogue
compared to action on each page, all fitted into one printed page.

* Script compare, which compares two versions of the same script and
shows you the differences between them.

* Full support for title pages and page headers.

* Two view modes: one that shows the actual page layout and another that
shows a continous flow of text with no page breaks to disrupt you.

* Every aspect of the program is fully configurable, and you can have as
many different configuration files as you like, switching between them as
needed.

* Generates very compact PDF files. A typical 105-page script takes only
125KB in PDF format.

* Has an open, fully documented file format that it uses for saving
scripts, making it easy to use them in external programs.

--
Osku Salerma - http://www.oskusoft.com/ - Screenplay software.
Remove the z's when sending email.

MC

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 10:26:22 AM12/19/04
to
In article <slrncsb6k8...@127.0.0.1>,
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote:

HOW DARE YOU POST ON TOPIC?

Oh, wait a minute... I just realized, *everything* I post is on topic.
By virtue of my sig.

Looks interesting, this program. When's the Mac version expected?

--

"In Hollywood the woods are full of people that learned to write but
evidently can't read; if they could read their stuff, they'd stop writing."
--Will Rogers

CASTRATE TROLLS: http://www.schmuckwithanunderwood.com/trolls.htm

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 10:33:09 AM12/19/04
to
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:26:22 -0500, MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:
> Looks interesting, this program. When's the Mac version expected?

Hard to say, but probably somewhere around 2-3 months or so.

Dena Jo

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 10:56:09 AM12/19/04
to
On 19 Dec 2004, Osku Salerma posted thus:

> We've just released Blyte 1.0

You should consider changing the name of your software program. I
instinctively pronounced it blight (B, L, long I sound, T):

Main Entry: 1blight
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1578
1 a : a disease or injury of plants marked by the formation of lesions,
withering, and death of parts (as leaves and tubers) b : an organism
(as an insect or a fungus) that causes blight
2 : something that frustrates plans or hopes
3 : something that impairs or destroys
4 : a deteriorated condition <urban blight>

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards: http://www.schmuckwithanunderwood.com/trolls.html

MC

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 10:58:31 AM12/19/04
to
In article <slrncsb7pk...@127.0.0.1>,
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:26:22 -0500, MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:
> > Looks interesting, this program. When's the Mac version expected?
>
> Hard to say, but probably somewhere around 2-3 months or so.

I agree with Dena Jo about the name -- Blyte = Blight -- *not* a good
image for any product.

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 11:09:16 AM12/19/04
to
On 19 Dec 2004 15:56:09 GMT, Dena Jo <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 19 Dec 2004, Osku Salerma posted thus:
>
>> We've just released Blyte 1.0
>
> You should consider changing the name of your software program. I
> instinctively pronounced it blight (B, L, long I sound, T):
>
> Main Entry: 1blight
> 2 : something that frustrates plans or hopes

Isn't that an accurate description of most people's experiences with
writing screenplays? :)

But yeah, I agree, it's not a very good name. I just haven't managed to
come up with anything better. (If I'd noticed the blyte/blight issue I'd
have kept looking...) If someone does, and gives me the rights to the
name, I'll give a free license to that person.

Jacques E. Bouchard

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 12:03:24 PM12/19/04
to
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote in news:slrncsb7pk.3m2.zoskuz@
127.0.0.1:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:26:22 -0500, MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:
>> Looks interesting, this program. When's the Mac version expected?
>
> Hard to say, but probably somewhere around 2-3 months or so.

And it'll only require buying a whole new Mac and OS to run. ;-)


jaybee

MonkeyHawk

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 1:32:28 PM12/19/04
to
"Osku Salerma" <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote

> We've just released Blyte 1.0, the first public release of our new...

[snip]

"Blite?" As in "blight?"

Uh-oh.

Joe Myers
"You bit the wax tadpole."


J.Simpson

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 1:34:44 PM12/19/04
to
May I suggest a few screenshots and a walk through of the program be added
to your website. An FAQ section would also be useful.


Does it have a WYSIWYG interface? Can the page and elements be modified and
those modifications be saved to create templates? Does it come with any
templates pre-installed? You may want to list the features it has on the
site.

You may also want to list the cost in US dollars.

--
Jay Simpson
All men die, few truly live

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 2:24:20 PM12/19/04
to
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:34:44 -0800, J.Simpson <j_si...@uniserve.com> wrote:
> May I suggest a few screenshots and a walk through of the program be added
> to your website.

Well, there are 5 screenshots already, any specific ones you would like
added?

> An FAQ section would also be useful.

Sure, as soon as I get some frequently asked questions, I can't invent
them myself.

> Does it have a WYSIWYG interface?

Depends what you mean by that. Why don't you try it?

> Can the page and elements be modified and those modifications be saved
> to create templates?

You can have as many config files as you want and switch between them
easily.

> Does it come with any templates pre-installed?

The default config is as close to "industry standard" as I could make it.

> You may want to list the features it has on the site.

The major ones are. Not sure what the point of listing every minor feature
is...

> You may also want to list the cost in US dollars.

And then update it every day as the exchange rate changes? I don't think
so.

Dr. Jai Maharaj

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 2:28:13 PM12/19/04
to
Free screenwriting and related software
(not time-limited or feature-crippled demos)

QuickPlot
by
Weiss eCreative
http://download.com.com/3000-2056-8630163.html?tag=lst-0-4

RoughDraft
by
Richard Salsbury
http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm

ScriptMaker
by
Ian Pegler
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ianto/

Additions and corrections to the list are welcome.
Please feel free to copy and distribute this list.
List compiled by:

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

In article <slrncsblb4...@127.0.0.1>,
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> posted:

U9...@sbcglobal.net

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 2:52:47 PM12/19/04
to

"J.Simpson" <j_si...@uniserve.com> wrote in message
news:10sbifn...@corp.supernews.com...

I guess it is Finland. 80 Finnish Markkas?

http://www.oskusoft.com/purchase.shtml

The exchange rate is 4.473252.

http://www.exchangerate.com/


So that would be 357.60 US dollars for Dec 17 2004? My math skills are
awesomely bad.

I don't even go by what I come up with.

MonkeyHawk

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 3:43:28 PM12/19/04
to
"Osku Salerma" <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote

>> You may also want to list the cost in US dollars.
>
> And then update it every day as the exchange rate changes? I don't think
> so.

Just tell us: how many Zambian kwachas?

Joe Myers
"Anybody got change for a cockerel?"


Jeri Jo Thomas

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 7:30:17 PM12/19/04
to
From the trenches *zos...@zoskusoftz.com* sent a runner with this
important missive...

Q:We've just released Blyte 1.0, the first public release of our new
Q:screenwriting software. Interested parties should check out our website at
Q:http://www.oskusoft.com/ for more information, including a downloadable
Q:evaluation version.
Q:
How long does the evaluation version last, or is it crippled in any
way?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Important MWS documents ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The MWS FAQ: http://www.online-communicator.com/faqs.html
Filtering Trolls: http://www.schmuckwithanunderwood.com/trolls.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Paulo Joe Jingy

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 7:43:16 PM12/19/04
to
Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:

> From the trenches *zos...@zoskusoftz.com* sent a runner with this
> important missive...
>
> Q:We've just released Blyte 1.0, the first public release of our new
> Q:screenwriting software. Interested parties should check out our website at
> Q:http://www.oskusoft.com/ for more information, including a downloadable
> Q:evaluation version.
> Q:
> How long does the evaluation version last, or is it crippled in any
> way?


It doesn't print or export files. So far that's all I've found out.
Actually it does print and export -- except -- it prints and exports an
ad for Blyte no matter what you write.

Paulo Joe Jingy

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 7:46:24 PM12/19/04
to
Paulo Joe Jingy wrote:


By the way I'm using Windows 98SE and so far it works fine. Really
adjustable too.

Dave Urwin

unread,
Dec 20, 2004, 1:28:36 PM12/20/04
to
In article <j_kxd.485$5R....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"U8...@sbcglobal.net" <U9...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I guess it is Finland. 80 Finnish Markkas?
>
> http://www.oskusoft.com/purchase.shtml
>
> The exchange rate is 4.473252.
>
> http://www.exchangerate.com/
>
>
> So that would be 357.60 US dollars for Dec 17 2004? My math skills are
> awesomely bad.
>
> I don't even go by what I come up with.
>

Hi, U840 -

OUCH.

It's not your math skills you need to worry about, so much as your
ability to recognise major world currencies :-)

That funny round E with two crossbars mean it's 80 EUROS, not Finnish
Markkas. That converts to US$107.13 (£55 plus 22% VAT for us Brits) as I
type, a damn sight more reasonable than US$350+

Now all I need is an OSX version and a chance to see if it's better than
Final Draft 5...

U9...@sbcglobal.net

unread,
Dec 20, 2004, 4:05:02 PM12/20/04
to

"Dave Urwin" <dave...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:daveurwin-75906...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> In article <j_kxd.485$5R....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> "U8...@sbcglobal.net" <U9...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I guess it is Finland. 80 Finnish Markkas?
>>
>> http://www.oskusoft.com/purchase.shtml
>>
>> The exchange rate is 4.473252.
>>
>> http://www.exchangerate.com/
>>
>>
>> So that would be 357.60 US dollars for Dec 17 2004? My math skills are
>> awesomely bad.
>>
>> I don't even go by what I come up with.
>>
>
> Hi, U840 -
>
> OUCH.
>
> It's not your math skills you need to worry about, so much as your
> ability to recognise major world currencies :-)
>
> That funny round E with two crossbars mean it's 80 EUROS, not Finnish
> Markkas. That converts to US$107.13 (£55 plus 22% VAT for us Brits) as I
> type, a damn sight more reasonable than US$350+
>
> Now all I need is an OSX version and a chance to see if it's better than
> Final Draft 5...

ROTFLOL!

Man. Sorry about that. Thank goodness I didn't add my second post - which
was why was it so expensive compared to Final Draft!!!

I came close to posting that. Man... that would have been embarrassing!

But, that goes back to Jay Simpson's post. How much? I know what a Euro
is - but not the funny E.


Even insular backcountry people like me have script program money in my
pocket...


I don't see an outline box feature that Sophocles has and that is a pretty
nice thing to have. But for 100 bucks that is ok. I think a couple of the
screenshots look very good and would be useful and I haven't see it visually
presented quite that way before.

Thanks for the head's up Dave.


Dave Urwin

unread,
Dec 20, 2004, 7:37:03 PM12/20/04
to
In article <28Hxd.929$yV1...@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"U8...@sbcglobal.net" <U9...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> ROTFLOL!
>
> Man. Sorry about that. Thank goodness I didn't add my second post - which
> was why was it so expensive compared to Final Draft!!!

Hey, don't apologise to me. I'm just worried about the poor software guy
- let's hope he's not drowning in emails saying it's a rediculous price
to ask - a third of that price would be okay, but $350+? :-P

(I see he's added a clarification on the website, though, so maybe he'll
be okay.)

> But, that goes back to Jay Simpson's post. How much? I know what a Euro
> is - but not the funny E.

Well, I'm betting you do now. Don't worry, though: I'm in England (where
we still have good old-fashioned pounds), and even though they're using
Euros right next door in Europe, I'm not sure everyone here would
recognise that E yet.

> I don't see an outline box feature that Sophocles has and that is a pretty
> nice thing to have. But for 100 bucks that is ok. I think a couple of the
> screenshots look very good and would be useful and I haven't see it visually
> presented quite that way before.

Oh, yes - I like that graph thingy for a start - a great visual check to
make sure that Bob (who will, hopefully, be played by Harrison Ford once
I sell the script) doesn't have too many more lines than Jake (who will,
hopefully, be played by Jim Carrey)...

Now, if Blyte (for want of a better name) has style sheets so you can
import a script from Final Draft or similar, it might well be worth
checking out just for that alone.

Some of the other features look good too, though, so I may well defect.
All I need to do is check out that Mac version... hint...

> Thanks for the head's up Dave.

No worries. Gotta go now - Vincent Price in "Witchfinder General" is
just starting...

Dave

U9...@sbcglobal.net

unread,
Dec 21, 2004, 2:20:34 AM12/21/04
to

"Dave Urwin" <dave...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:daveurwin-701C1...@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> In article <28Hxd.929$yV1...@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> "U8...@sbcglobal.net" <U9...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> ROTFLOL!
>>
>> Man. Sorry about that. Thank goodness I didn't add my second post - which
>> was why was it so expensive compared to Final Draft!!!
>
> Hey, don't apologise to me. I'm just worried about the poor software guy
> - let's hope he's not drowning in emails saying it's a rediculous price
> to ask - a third of that price would be okay, but $350+? :-P
>
> (I see he's added a clarification on the website, though, so maybe he'll
> be okay.)


More worried about you Dave than the Finnish guy. He made his bed. But he
took care of it on his site.

"You may also want to list the cost in US dollars.

"And then update it every day as the exchange rate changes? I don't think
so.""


Anyway... Vincent Price Devotee... yes.

Vincent Price always made the moment.

Vincent Price made it all looks so easy. Enjoy.


Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 21, 2004, 11:53:48 AM12/21/04
to
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:20:34 GMT, U8...@sbcglobal.net <U9...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> More worried about you Dave than the Finnish guy. He made his bed. But he
> took care of it on his site.
>
> "You may also want to list the cost in US dollars.
>
> "And then update it every day as the exchange rate changes? I don't think
> so.""

I don't stick to my erroneous positions if further thought or events prove
me wrong :P

In this case my original answer was too hasty, and whoever wrote the above
suggestion had a good point, which I've now followed.

Dave Urwin

unread,
Dec 21, 2004, 1:04:08 PM12/21/04
to
In article <slrncsgl8s...@127.0.0.1>,
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:20:34 GMT, U8...@sbcglobal.net <U9...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> > More worried about you Dave than the Finnish guy. He made his bed. But he
> > took care of it on his site.
> >
> > "You may also want to list the cost in US dollars.
> >
> > "And then update it every day as the exchange rate changes? I don't think
> > so.""
>
> I don't stick to my erroneous positions if further thought or events prove
> me wrong :P
>
> In this case my original answer was too hasty, and whoever wrote the above
> suggestion had a good point, which I've now followed.

Just one thing I'd suggest - your first thought was sensible, in some
ways, given the way exchange rates are changing these days. Perhaps you
could add a date/time:

80 Euros (around US$105 at 10am, 22 December 2004)

and update it every week or so to keep it reasonably current - I don't
see that it has to be accurate to the cent every single second. (Are
there any free currency converters you could link to from your site?)

Cheers,

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 21, 2004, 2:09:52 PM12/21/04
to
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:04:08 GMT, Dave Urwin <dave...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Just one thing I'd suggest - your first thought was sensible, in some
> ways, given the way exchange rates are changing these days. Perhaps you
> could add a date/time:
>
> 80 Euros (around US$105 at 10am, 22 December 2004)
>
> and update it every week or so to keep it reasonably current - I don't
> see that it has to be accurate to the cent every single second. (Are
> there any free currency converters you could link to from your site?)
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

I think I'll just update it weekly or so without having that ugly "updated
at xxx" mentioned. Anyone who cares about accuracy is going to check it
himself, and furthermore, I think PayPal uses its own exchange rate and I
don't think it matches the "official" rate exactly, so I'd be wrong anyway
by some small amount.

It seems xe.com has some sort of currency converter tool I could link to.
I'll investigate that at some point.

MONDay

unread,
Dec 21, 2004, 8:30:36 PM12/21/04
to
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote in
news:slrncsb6k8...@127.0.0.1:

Hi Osku,

> We've just released Blyte 1.0, the first public release of
> our new screenwriting software. Interested parties should
> check out our website at http://www.oskusoft.com/ for more
> information, including a downloadable evaluation version.

You contacted me off list last year about your proposal
to create "Blyte" - although I don't recall you
having a name for it then, and I have since "lost" that
e-mail.

I'm glad you got it off the ground and wish you the
very best of luck. Software's like a car, there needs
to be a few manufacturers in the field to offer the
end user a real choice.

Please feel free to contact me off list again if I can
be of any help with your venture.

:-)

All the best,

Mark.
--------------------------------------
Mark O'Neill
Creator, SceneWriter Pro
"Bring your script to life"
www.scenewriterpro.com

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 1:36:41 AM12/22/04
to
On 22 Dec 2004 01:30:36 GMT, MONDay <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Please feel free to contact me off list again if I can
> be of any help with your venture.
>
>:-)

You could start by purchasing 10 copies of the program :) Gotta watch what
the competition is doing, right?

klko...@hotmail.com

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 1:58:21 AM12/22/04
to
How about Blithe or Blythe as in Blythe Spirit, I know it's a given --
but if there's any naming consulation here's my mits worth

MONDay

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 6:37:38 AM12/22/04
to
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote in
news:slrncsi5fp...@127.0.0.1:

> You could start by purchasing 10 copies of the program :)
> Gotta watch what the competition is doing, right?

Not at all, I was trying to offer a friendly hand
from someone who has been in the screenwriting software
market for 3 years.

There will always be "competition," but at the end of
the day we're all in the same boat and as people we can
choose to either screw each other or help each other out.

I am of the latter way of thinking.

Have a great holiday.

Mark

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 1:23:45 PM12/22/04
to
On 22 Dec 2004 11:37:38 GMT, MONDay <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Not at all, I was trying to offer a friendly hand
> from someone who has been in the screenwriting software
> market for 3 years.
>
> There will always be "competition," but at the end of
> the day we're all in the same boat and as people we can
> choose to either screw each other or help each other out.
>
> I am of the latter way of thinking.
>
> Have a great holiday.
>
> Mark

Your statements now don't agree with the reality, which is that you never
responded to my question a year ago, even to say "Sorry, I can't reveal
that information."

So saying "we should help each other out" when you've gone out of your way
to not help me isn't all that agreeable to me.

MONDay

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 3:21:14 PM12/22/04
to
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote in
news:slrncsjetg...@127.0.0.1:

> Your statements now don't agree with the reality, which is
> that you never responded to my question a year ago, even to
> say "Sorry, I can't reveal that information."
>
> So saying "we should help each other out" when you've gone
> out of your way to not help me isn't all that agreeable to
> me.

Um... I don't have the e-mail(s) to hand, but if I
recall you approached me asking some probing
questions - without declaring your interests - and
I replied.

You then asked me more probing questions - again,
without declaring your intentions to write
screenwriting software - and that's when I thought
that the questions you were asking were rather odd,
things like "Do you make a living out of this?"
"How many copies do you sell each month?" etc.,
so I replied with something along the lines of:
"may I ask why you require this information?"

At that point you replied with something along the
lines of "I haven't been honest with you, I intend
on bringing out screenwriting software" at which
point I felt that your behaviour was slightly
underhand.

I believe I replied 3 times in total, and after your
unveiling of your intentions, you never replied
again either.

I had completely forgotten about your development,
being as it was such a long time ago, and when I saw
your post on mws I thought I would extend my
congratulations, and offer to you any help that I
could offer - now that you actually have software
to market.

How you can state that I have "gone out of my way
*not* to help you" is simply preposterous.

Again, I wish you luck with your venture.

Mark


-------------------------------
Mark O'Neill
Creator, SceneWriter Pro
"Bring your script to life"

http://www.scenewriterpro.com

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 4:14:03 PM12/22/04
to
On 21 Dec 2004 22:58:21 -0800, klko...@hotmail.com
<klko...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> How about Blithe or Blythe as in Blythe Spirit, I know it's a given --
> but if there's any naming consulation here's my mits worth

Not bad names per-se, but way too common:

[google search]

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,820,000 for blythe.
Results 1 - 10 of about 313,000 for blithe.

whereas:

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,630 for blyte.

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 4:11:47 PM12/22/04
to

Not to start a big flamewar here or anything, but I do have the mails
available, and I just read through them, and the exchange went like this:

1. I used the support form on your website to ask if you'd be willing to
give a rough idea of your sales numbers.

2. You replied, asking if I was affiliated with a company and why I was
interested in this information.

3. I replied back, told you all about how I was writing a screenplay
software myself so wanted a rough idea of the size of the market, etc.

4. You replied back, asked if I could send you some screenshots.

5. I did so, never heard from you again.

So, that's the truth, and I can send you the emails if you want. I don't
know why I'm bringing this up; your public display of camaraderie just
irked me when your private behavior is the exact opposite by my
experience.

MonkeyHawk

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 4:49:39 PM12/22/04
to

"Osku Salerma" <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote

> Not bad names per-se, but way too common:
>
> [google search]
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,820,000 for blythe.
> Results 1 - 10 of about 313,000 for blithe.
>
> whereas:
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 2,630 for blyte.

I'll grant you, you've done some market research.

But you seem oblivious to the problem a product named "Blight" (however you
spell it) is going to face.

You might as well call it, "Total Computer Crash;" there's not likely to be
a competitor in the software category.

Call it "Pestilence," "Famine," "Cancer."

Joe Myers
"Results 1 - 10 of about 21,200 for Kancer."

WRabkin

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 5:12:30 PM12/22/04
to
>Call it "Pestilence," "Famine," "Cancer."

And is there a reason you changed the name of our product from Conquistador
Instant Coffee to Conquistador Instant Leprosy?

Osku Salerma

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 5:25:24 PM12/22/04
to
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:49:39 GMT, MonkeyHawk <monke...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> I'll grant you, you've done some market research.
>
> But you seem oblivious to the problem a product named "Blight" (however you
> spell it) is going to face.
>
> You might as well call it, "Total Computer Crash;" there's not likely to be
> a competitor in the software category.
>
> Call it "Pestilence," "Famine," "Cancer."
>
> Joe Myers
> "Results 1 - 10 of about 21,200 for Kancer."

It's not that I'm in love with the name Blyte and aren't willing to change
it, it's that I can't seem to come up with anything better, and neither
can anyone else I've asked so far.

Of the other screenwriting programs, only Final Draft has a good name,
IMHO. Movie Magic Screenwriter and Scenewriter Pro are just clumsy and
obvious, Sophocles could be anything, and Page2Stage leaves you thinking
it's just for theater.

Originally I thought about naming Blyte after some ancient god of writing,
and there are some good ones, but they all seem to be taken already, and
anyway, I don't fancy naming my software after a god, being an atheist an
everything.

Does the name really matter that much? It's not like "Microsoft Office" is
the world's best name or anything, and it manages to produce untold
billions of dollars for them every year.

MC

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 6:01:21 PM12/22/04
to
In article <slrncsjt2k...@127.0.0.1>,
Osku Salerma <zos...@zoskusoftz.com> wrote:

> Does the name really matter that much? It's not like "Microsoft Office" is
> the world's best name or anything, and it manages to produce untold
> billions of dollars for them every year.

It's not the most important thing, but a *good* name certaily helps, and
a *bad* name hurts. And you really can't call it "Blyte"

A suggestion:

We're writers. Or supposed to be. Why don't we start making some
suggestions for Osku? And if any of our suggestions gets chosen, the
person who came up with it gets a free copy of the software?

Osku... would you agree to that?

--

"In Hollywood the woods are full of people that learned to write but
evidently can't read; if they could read their stuff, they'd stop writing."
--Will Rogers

CASTRATE TROLLS: http://www.schmuckwithanunderwood.com/trolls.htm

MonkeyHawk

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 6:32:28 PM12/22/04
to

"MC" <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote

>> Does the name really matter that much? It's not like "Microsoft Office"
>> is
>> the world's best name or anything, and it manages to produce untold
>> billions of dollars for them every year.
>
> It's not the most important thing, but a *good* name certaily helps, and
> a *bad* name hurts. And you really can't call it "Blyte"
>
> A suggestion:
>
> We're writers. Or supposed to be. Why don't we start making some
> suggestions for Osku? And if any of our suggestions gets chosen, the
> person who came up with it gets a free copy of the software?
>
> Osku... would you agree to that?

As one who has, from time to time, made my living by branding products, Osku
strikes me as precisely the kind of nightmare client I don't want to be
involved with anymore.

No, of course you can't call it "Blight," or any permutation of the word.
Osku seems willfully oblivious to the fact, and defends it with spurious
arguments that indicate a perhaps fatal flaw in his future as a marketer.

Joe Myers
"The new spin on Vioxx: 'They're
not in pain, anymore, are they?!'"

MC

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 6:42:44 PM12/22/04
to
In article <gunyd.1926$yV1....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"MonkeyHawk" <monke...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I have a suggestion for Microsoft Word. They sholuld call it "Bloat."

Dena Jo

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 8:59:09 PM12/22/04
to
On 22 Dec 2004, MC posted thus:

> We're writers. Or supposed to be. Why don't we start making some
> suggestions for Osku? And if any of our suggestions gets chosen, the
> person who came up with it gets a free copy of the software?
>
> Osku... would you agree to that?

I think he already did.

And Osku, yes, the name really does matter. You're marketing your
software to writers of all people. And it's not just that Blyte isn't
a particularly good name. It's that it's a fatally bad one.

How about "Write Now 1.0"?

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards: http://www.schmuckwithanunderwood.com/trolls.html

MC

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 9:04:51 PM12/22/04
to
In article <Xns95C7C0FF...@130.133.1.4>,
Dena Jo <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> > We're writers. Or supposed to be. Why don't we start making some
> > suggestions for Osku? And if any of our suggestions gets chosen, the
> > person who came up with it gets a free copy of the software?
> >
> > Osku... would you agree to that?
>
> I think he already did.
>
> And Osku, yes, the name really does matter. You're marketing your
> software to writers of all people. And it's not just that Blyte isn't
> a particularly good name. It's that it's a fatally bad one.
>
> How about "Write Now 1.0"?

Good name for a word processing porgram, but I think it should be more
specifically about screenplays or scripts (not that I have a better idea
yet).

Dena Jo

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 9:10:48 PM12/22/04
to
On 22 Dec 2004, MC posted thus:

> Good name for a word processing porgram

Or even a word processing program.

RonB

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 10:35:57 PM12/22/04
to
On Wed 22 Dec 2004 02:25:24p, Osku Salerma, wrote:

> Of the other screenwriting programs, only Final Draft has a good
> name, IMHO. Movie Magic Screenwriter and Scenewriter Pro are just
> clumsy and obvious, Sophocles could be anything, and Page2Stage
> leaves you thinking it's just for theater.

The name "ScriptThing" was the best in my opinion, but it's still not
available. I think ScriptWare is a pretty good name (but also not
available). Scenewriter Pro describes the program -- it concentrates on
scenes. But by "clumsy" ... you mean...? (Although I agree with you on
Movie Magic Screenwriter -- I guess they can't just use
"Screenwriter.") I personally like the name of Sophocles, people who
write screenplays can figure out what the software does pretty quickly
-- but if you think Sophocles could be "anything" what's that say for
Blyte?

How about something taken from elements of screenplays, like "Fade In,"
or "Smash Cut?"

Oskusoft is a unique name -- maybe you find a way to work that into the
name of the product.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

RonB

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 10:38:09 PM12/22/04
to
On Wed 22 Dec 2004 02:25:24p, Osku Salerma, wrote:

> Does the name really matter that much? It's not like "Microsoft
> Office" is the world's best name or anything, and it manages to
> produce untold billions of dollars for them every year.

Yes, but you don't have a near monopoly on OS software and the ability to
do OEM pack-ins. If you had Microsoft's clout you could name Blyte "Oozy
Monkey Puss" and sell millions.

Tad Davis

unread,
Dec 22, 2004, 10:32:19 PM12/22/04
to
In article <Xns95C7C0FF...@130.133.1.4>,
Dena Jo <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> How about "Write Now 1.0"?

Be still, my beating heart. There are those who remember.

--
Tad Davis
tadd...@ucwphilly.rr.com

Dena Jo

unread,
Dec 23, 2004, 12:01:39 AM12/23/04
to
On 22 Dec 2004, Tad Davis posted thus:

> In article <Xns95C7C0FF...@130.133.1.4>,
> Dena Jo <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> How about "Write Now 1.0"?
>
> Be still, my beating heart. There are those who remember.

I take it that's already been used???

Dena Jo

unread,
Dec 23, 2004, 12:13:51 AM12/23/04
to
On 22 Dec 2004, RonB posted thus:

> How about something taken from elements of screenplays, like "Fade
> In," or "Smash Cut?"

I think Fade In would be a great name!

RonB

unread,
Dec 23, 2004, 2:17:47 AM12/23/04
to
On Wed 22 Dec 2004 09:13:51p, Dena Jo, wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2004, RonB posted thus:
>
>> How about something taken from elements of screenplays, like "Fade
>> In," or "Smash Cut?"
>
> I think Fade In would be a great name!

And it kind of has that Final Draft "feel" to it.

BTW, Happy Holidays, in case I forget to mention it.

Dave Urwin

unread,
Dec 23, 2004, 3:27:39 AM12/23/04
to
In article <Xns95C7ECFAFF71B...@130.133.1.4>,
RonB <ronbN...@bliz.org> wrote:

> On Wed 22 Dec 2004 09:13:51p, Dena Jo, wrote:
>
> > On 22 Dec 2004, RonB posted thus:
> >
> >> How about something taken from elements of screenplays, like "Fade
> >> In," or "Smash Cut?"
> >
> > I think Fade In would be a great name!
>
> And it kind of has that Final Draft "feel" to it.
>
> BTW, Happy Holidays, in case I forget to mention it.

Isn't there a screenwriting magazine by that name?

RonB

unread,
Dec 23, 2004, 3:59:22 AM12/23/04
to
On Thu 23 Dec 2004 12:27:39a, Dave Urwin, wrote:

> Isn't there a screenwriting magazine by that name?

I don't know, but if there is -- that name is toast.

RonB

unread,
Dec 23, 2004, 4:01:43 AM12/23/04