The Jo Blo Files

MC

Jul 11, 2002, 5:51:33 PM7/11/02
I'm telling you folks, this is some of the best bad screenwriting you
have ever seen. If you want a little laff, or if you just want to feel
better about your own shit, you have to see what's posted here...

http://www.joblo.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=9

A new sample, copied and pasted, exactly as it appears there. And by the
way, every comment on it was positive.

+++

[Screen is still black. We can hear the sound of beeping in the
background. We then hear a voice.]
CARRIE
[v.o]
That will be 45.27 please.

[FADE IN: We can now visibly see Carrie. She is working the supermarket
check out aisle, wearing her unifromal apron. She is about 16 and looks
very tired.]

WOMAN
[fumbling through her purse]
45.27? Oh, dear. Bill told me not to go over 35 dollars.
[She pulls out a dollar bill]
I only have a 100 dollar bill.

[Carrie gives her a deep look, snatching the bill away from her.]

CARRIE
I don靖 get it.

WOMAN
Get what?

CARRIE
Get how you people just sit there and give the cashier a 100 dollar bill
and just expect them to give you your change.

WOMAN
Well, yes, that零 what one WOULD expect.

CARRIE
[while getting the change]
See, that零 exactly what I雋 talking about. You big shots would rather
just sit there and give us the 100 dollar bill instead of just brining
the right change in the first place. I mean you people act like you have
an army of m just stahsed away at your house somewhere. Do you KNOW
what I could with 100 bucks. Do you really? I could not come to this
hellhole of a job for entire month the way this place is paying me. The
cashier零 already had a bad day. Every day we have to put up with crying
babies, people that bring in tons of food for you to ring up, little
whining brats that keep bugging their mommies to get them that Snickers
bar they want and a manager that basically burns you to the stake when
you mess up just once. Then here you come with your 100 dollar bill,
just sitting there watching us get the change, not having to do anything
at all, but go home and feed the little ungrateful snotnosed kid who you
bought all the crap for.
[in a saracstic cheerful voice]
And guess what? You get to do it again next week.

WOMAN
[takes her change]
You know, you靶e got alot of nerve.

CARRIE
I雋 a teenager and I雋 a girl. I雋 allowed to bitch every once and
awhile.
[hands her her grocery bags]
Have a nice day.
[Cut to black. Title card reads 蛋uvenile.淫

--
As the radius of knowledge expands,
so does the circumference of ignorance. lbert Einstein

MWS FAQ http://www.communicator.com/faqs.html

Paulo Joe Jingy

Jul 12, 2002, 1:12:41 AM7/12/02

MC wrote:

I'm telling you folks, this is some of the best bad screenwriting you
have ever seen. If you want a little laff, or if you just want to feel
better about your own shit, you have to see what's posted here...

http://www.joblo.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=9

A new sample, copied and pasted, exactly as it appears there. And by the
way, every comment on it was positive.

Remember this April 4, 2001 post, by Chris Bateman?  *Somebody* might just have to put it up at joblo's site and see how it does.  I'll bet they like it over there..

----------
I will post 3 pages and tell me what you think. I need to make some changes
still but I want you to be brutally honest.

                                     3 DAYS LATE

                                   A screenplay by

                                    Amen Satbirch

            CAST:

            JOHN MCALISTER - Bruce Willis

            LANCE VEGA - Nicholas Cage

            BIG SCARY MIKEY - Jean Claude Van Damme

            SCENE 1. TOMS HOUSE

            We see a man is in his living room, he has a checkered shirt
            on and his jeans on. His name is JOHN MCALISTER and he's 30
            years old, from Chicago.

            The camera PANS up to a birds eye view of his house as he
            sits down. We hear his voice as a voice over.

                                JOHN
                          (VOICE OVER)
                      My name is John McAlister PI. I've lived
                      in this godforsaken house, in this
                      godforsaken city nearly all my life and
                      it's time to move on damn it

            We see Tom stand back up and then we quickly cut to

            SCENE 2. TOMS BEDROOM

            We see John packing a suitcase in his bedroom. The bedroom is
            nice but city like and we can tell John looks like he should
            be in the country..

            He finds it hard to close the suitcase so he sits on it to
            close it.

            He closes it.

            We see him walks out.

            SCENE 3. A CAR

            John is driving a green car and he is driving quiet quickly
            and is overtaking everyone. He suitcase is in the back and he
            looks mad. He's sick of the city.

            SCENE 3. COUNTRYSIDE

            Tom has gone to the countryside, it looks really piecefull
            compared to the city. He has calmed down now and looks quite
            happy.

            We see a big house with a for sale sign outside it, he pulls
            up outside. And parks the car.

            We see him run up the steps and the camera goes to the inside
            of the door so when it opens we are looking at John.

                                JOHN (CONT'D)
                      Hi. I came about the house. I'm a private
                      investigator.

            The camera spins round quickly with a whoosh sound effect to
            reveal a thin and odd looking man who is LANCE VEGA.

                                LANCE
                      Hi I am Lance Vega, I am moving out in a
                      week so you've come at the right time
                      man.

            He invites him in and we see them close the door in our face.

            SCENE 4. LANCES LIVING ROOM

                                JOHN
                      I really like the house, it's great. When
                      can I move in?

                                LANCE
                      I have a spare room you can stay in until
                      I move out man. That's no problem.

                                JOHN
                      Cool.

            John sips his coffee.

                                JOHN (CONT'D)
                      So what do you do for a living?

                                LANCE
                      Oh nothing much.

            FREEZE FRAME

                                JOHN
                          (VOICE OVER)
                      Nothing much huh?
                      If i would have took a bit longer to find
                      out what he did I wouldn't have got into
                      this goddamn mess in the first place.

            SCENE 5. A WAREHOUSE (later in the story)

            John and Lance are holding guns pointing at eachother.

                                LANCE
                      PUT THE FUCKING GUN DOWN NOW! OR ALL
                      SHOOT YOU YOU FUCKER.

                                JOHN
                      FUCK YOU FUCKER.

            SCENE 6. LANCES LIVING ROOM (present)

                                LANCE
                      So you'ra PA huh?

                                JOHN
                      PI! I said PI. I have my own assistant
                      man.

            They laugh.

-------------

This is my first script so i would like to know what i am doing wrong, if
anytihng.

Thanks

Amen
----------

--
Paulo Joe Jingy

He's back--so it's back!
http://harb.reallysucks.com

MC

Jul 12, 2002, 5:42:33 AM7/12/02
In article <3D2E867D...@yahoo.com>,

Paulo Joe Jingy <pauloj...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Remember this April 4, 2001 post, by Chris Bateman? *Somebody* might just
> have to put it up at joblo's site and see how it does. I'll bet they like
> it over there..
>
> ----------
> I will post 3 pages and tell me what you think. I need to make some changes
> still but I want you to be brutally honest.
>

> 3 DAYS LATE
>
> A screenplay by
>
> Amen Satbirch

I forgot this. In its own way it is a masterpiece.

--
As the radius of knowledge expands,

so does the circumference of ignorance. --Albert Einstein

MWS FAQ http://www.communicator.com/faqs.html

stace

Jul 12, 2002, 9:52:02 AM7/12/02
in article cope-04E027.0...@newsfeeder.total.net, MC at
co...@ca.inter.net wrote on 7/12/02 3:42 AM:

> In article <3D2E867D...@yahoo.com>,
> Paulo Joe Jingy <pauloj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Remember this April 4, 2001 post, by Chris Bateman? *Somebody* might just
>> have to put it up at joblo's site and see how it does. I'll bet they like
>> it over there..
>>
>> ----------
>> I will post 3 pages and tell me what you think. I need to make some changes
>> still but I want you to be brutally honest.
>>

>> 3 DAYS LATE
>>
>> A screenplay by
>>
>> Amen Satbirch
>
> I forgot this. In its own way it is a masterpiece.

OMYGOD!

I wasn't around for this one. So did this writer get humiliated by y'all to
the point where he killed himself online, or what?

Stace

--
You can access MWS and screenwriting FAQs at
http://www.communicator.com/faqs.html; brought to you by Rich Wilson.

Before asking the group a question, why don't you check the archives by
going here http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search and typing
misc.writing.screenplays in the Newsgroup field, in addition to your
Keyword.

Achtung

Jul 12, 2002, 10:01:57 AM7/12/02
There is a strange lack of cynicism over at Jo Blo's forums. Must be
teenagers.

"MC" <co...@ca.inter.net> wrote in message

> an army of Oem just stahsed away at your house somewhere. Do you KNOW

> what I could with 100 bucks. Do you really? I could not come to this
> hellhole of a job for entire month the way this place is paying me. The
> cashier零 already had a bad day. Every day we have to put up with crying
> babies, people that bring in tons of food for you to ring up, little
> whining brats that keep bugging their mommies to get them that Snickers
> bar they want and a manager that basically burns you to the stake when
> you mess up just once. Then here you come with your 100 dollar bill,
> just sitting there watching us get the change, not having to do anything
> at all, but go home and feed the little ungrateful snotnosed kid who you
> bought all the crap for.
> [in a saracstic cheerful voice]
> And guess what? You get to do it again next week.
>
> WOMAN
> [takes her change]
> You know, you靶e got alot of nerve.
>
> CARRIE
> I雋 a teenager and I雋 a girl. I雋 allowed to bitch every once and
> awhile.
> [hands her her grocery bags]
> Have a nice day.
> [Cut to black. Title card reads 蛋uvenile.淫
>
> --
> As the radius of knowledge expands,
> so does the circumference of ignorance. >

> MWS FAQ http://www.communicator.com/faqs.html

MC

Jul 12, 2002, 11:06:29 AM7/12/02
In article <B9543B22.12BE5%st...@sk.sympatico.ca>,
stace <st...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> OMYGOD!
>
> I wasn't around for this one. So did this writer get humiliated by y'all to
> the point where he killed himself online, or what?
>
> Stace

It was a practical joke -- it contained every single amateur mistake you
could think of, and I am proud to say it fooled me completely!

Dena Jo

Jul 12, 2002, 11:42:27 AM7/12/02
Stace:

> > I wasn't around for this one. So did this writer get humiliated by y'all
> > the point where he killed himself online, or what?
>

> It was a practical joke -- it contained every single amateur mistake you
> could think of, and I am proud to say it fooled me completely!

Chris was a very clever and very cute kid. Not in the way that Doug is
cute, of course, but still cute.

--
Dena Jo

Dena Jo

Jul 12, 2002, 12:15:35 PM7/12/02
MC:

> It was a practical joke -- it contained every single amateur mistake you
> could think of, and I am proud to say it fooled me completely!

Why, yes. If I recall correctly, you were a dummy-butt.

--
Dena Jo

new...@virtual.com

Jul 12, 2002, 2:35:42 PM7/12/02
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:42:27 -0700, "Dena Jo" <den...@cs.com> wrote:

>Chris was a very clever and very cute kid. Not in the way that Doug is
>cute, of course, but still cute.

A surprising thing happened to me this morning at the hospital, Dena
Jo. My diagnosis came back and they said that I hadn't actually been
cute all this time. Man, am I relieved! (Thought I was locked into
"cuteness" for the duration. Phew!)

BTW, Chris can be very cute at times. Please spread the word.

Doug
Welcome to the New World Order...

Dena Jo

Jul 12, 2002, 2:48:43 PM7/12/02
Doug:

> A surprising thing happened to me this morning at the hospital, Dena
> Jo. My diagnosis came back and they said that I hadn't actually been
> cute all this time.

I dunno, Doug. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. You're gonna trust
C*n*di*n health care?

--
Dena Jo

new...@virtual.com

Jul 12, 2002, 2:50:31 PM7/12/02

You've got a point, Dena Jo. C*n*di*n health care keeps shrinking and
shrinking.

Fortunately for me, I self medicate... And it's Friday too!

I see a trip to the beer store in my immediate future...

Dena Jo

Jul 12, 2002, 2:53:55 PM7/12/02
Doug:

> I see a trip to the beer store in my immediate future...

Drink one for me....

--
Dena Jo

D C

Jul 12, 2002, 7:42:19 PM7/12/02

----------
In article <agmt93$muhs2$1...@ID-139412.news.dfncis.de>, "Dena Jo"
<den...@cs.com> wrote:

He was a fink and a screwball and a liar - kind of reminds
me of someone . . .

new...@virtual.com

Jul 12, 2002, 10:26:49 PM7/12/02
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:53:55 -0700, "Dena Jo" <den...@cs.com> wrote:

>Doug:
>
>> I see a trip to the beer store in my immediate future...
>
>Drink one for me....

I can do better than that.

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Jul 13, 2002, 3:17:12 AM7/13/02
I got a hundred bucks says it was written by a former
supermarket checker.

--Blair
"Don't even fade it."

Black Ops

Jul 13, 2002, 4:05:06 AM7/13/02

<blair[no spam]@world.std.com (Blair P. Houghton)> wrote in message

Former? Like they've already moved on to their highly paid screenwriting
career?

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Jul 17, 2002, 1:09:45 AM7/17/02
Black Ops <n...@mail.com> wrote:

><blair[no spam]@world.std.com (Blair P. Houghton)> wrote in message
>> I got a hundred bucks says it was written by a former
>> supermarket checker.
>> "Don't even fade it."
>
>Former? Like they've already moved on to their highly paid screenwriting
>career?

Former. Like "you'll never work in this business again."

--Blair
"Hey. It'd work on a bagger."

Plugboy

Jul 26, 2002, 10:52:42 AM7/26/02
"Dena Jo" <den...@cs.com> wrote in message news:<agmt93$muhs2$1...@ID-139412.news.dfncis.de>...

Still a hankering for me, ain't ya Dana ;-)

How goes things anyhoo?

(PS: How shameless is it that I actually did a search for my own name
in google groups? :-p)

Chris Bateman

Jul 26, 2002, 11:28:42 AM7/26/02

test...

"Plugboy" <plug...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Dena Jo

Jul 26, 2002, 12:31:04 PM7/26/02
Plugboy aka Chris Bateman:

> > Chris was a very clever and very cute kid. Not in the way that Doug is
> > cute, of course, but still cute.
>

> Still a hankering for me, ain't ya Dana ;-)

So Bateman's back. How could I possibly resist that? Even if you did
misspell my name...

--
Dena Jo

Chris Bateman

Jul 26, 2002, 12:47:52 PM7/26/02

Doh!

Sorry Dona, it won't happen again.

"Dena Jo" <den...@cs.com> wrote in message

Dena Jo

Jul 26, 2002, 3:30:01 PM7/26/02
Chris,

For some reason, your posts don't show up on all servers.

Dena Jo