Does anything get through the moderation?

ronb

Mar 8, 2016, 10:48:34 AM3/8/16
This group appears to be so over-moderated that nothing gets through. Or
is there some future opening planned for it? The moderator -- at least --
should publish guidelines, news or something.

--
Using Pan 0.139 & Linux Mint Mate 17.1

ronb

Mar 9, 2016, 5:30:06 PM3/9/16
On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 10:48:32 -0500, ronb wrote:

> This group appears to be so over-moderated that nothing gets through. Or
> is there some future opening planned for it? The moderator -- at least
> -- should publish guidelines, news or something.

Good. It got through. I'll see if I can dig up something on-topic. Are
there any new guidelines that I should read for this group? I'm not sure
what the new rules are.

--
RonB
"There's a story there ... somewhere."

Kathy Morgan

Mar 9, 2016, 10:54:22 PM3/9/16
ronb <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 10:48:32 -0500, ronb wrote:
>
> > This group appears to be so over-moderated that nothing gets through. Or
> > is there some future opening planned for it? The moderator -- at least
> > -- should publish guidelines, news or something.
>
> Good. It got through. I'll see if I can dig up something on-topic. Are
> there any new guidelines that I should read for this group? I'm not sure
> what the new rules are.

I'm so glad to see you back, Ron!

The charter for the group when it was established was:

CHARTER: misc.writing.screenplays.moderated

The misc.writing.screenplays.moderated newsgroup is open to discussion
of the art and business aspects of writing screenplays for feature
films, documentaries and television. Specific topics may include but are
not limited to:

Finding an Agent
Querying Production Companies
Latest formatting trends
Creative screenplay writing
Screenwriting software
Screenwriting books
Screenwriters, their skills and styles
Tools available to the screenwriter
Collaboration issues
Tips from the pros

I see no reason to change the charter, but the moderation policies are
now much different. All submissions go to Brian Edmond's Robomod
software, which first screens out spam, HTML postings, multipart mime,
etc., and any posts which have excessively long lines. All of those are
automatically rejected before I ever have a chance to see the
submission. Anything that makes it through this pre-screening is
emailed to me to approve or reject.

So far, there have been very few posts that made it to me; I've approved
all of them that did.

I think the thing that would be most likely to cause an on-topic post to
be rejected is someone accidentally posting long lines. Lines should be
between 70 - 80 characters long; no long paragraphs to consist of one
line; Robomod simply will reject those without showing them to me.

It's also possible that someone's post would be erroneously filtered out
as spam without my ever seeing it. If anyone submits an on-topic post
and it doesn't appear in the group, please email me directly at
<kmo...@spamcop.net> and let me know--we'll need to track it down and
fix the problem.

FYI, I've very recently had some really major surgery and I'm not yet
back up to par, so for the next couple of weeks I may be a tiny bit slow
responding.

--
Kathy - moderator for MWSM

wcmartell