Passing on some advice

Dan Goodman

Nov 17, 2010, 5:38:47 PM11/17/10
One bit of writing advice which I haven't seen anywhere before:

22. Your writing style will actually change over the course of a single
day, not just over the course of your lifetime. I write very crisp,
sharp prose in the morning, and very purple, rambling prose at
midnight. My sentences start turning into spaghetti around ten o'clock
at night. A finished work is going to need to stick to one of these
styles of prose, and I need to be aware of that when I'm editing,
because otherwise, the transition can be so organic that it isn't
visible until someone else gets a look and starts screaming at me for
blinding them with adjectives.
http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/14069.htm

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."

Sandi K

Nov 18, 2010, 10:25:32 AM11/18/10
On Nov 17, 4:38 pm, "Dan Goodman" <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote:
> One bit of writing advice which I haven't seen anywhere before:
>
> 22. Your writing style will actually change over the course of a single
> day, not just over the course of your lifetime. I write very crisp,
> sharp prose in the morning, and very purple, rambling prose at
> midnight. My sentences start turning into spaghetti around ten o'clock
> at night. A finished work is going to need to stick to one of these
> styles of prose, and I need to be aware of that when I'm editing,
> because otherwise, the transition can be so organic that it isn't
> visible until someone else gets a look and starts screaming at me for
> blinding them with adjectives.http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/14069
.htm

> --
> Dan Goodman
> "I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
> Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
> Journalhttp://dsgood.livejournal.com
> Futureshttp://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com

Dan,

The timing of your editing matters, too. Last night, while editing a
bit of flash fiction written last month, I noticed that my story was
incredibly slow-moving and wordy. Funny how something written on a
lazy weekend can take on the attitude of the moment. Of course, it
being a Wednesday night and having a few different deadlines to meet,
I edited it with a "slash & burn" approach. The result was far more
precise and to the point.

-Sandi Wahl

Bill Penrose

Nov 18, 2010, 1:25:23 PM11/18/10
On Nov 17, 3:38 pm, "Dan Goodman" <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote:
> One bit of writing advice which I haven't seen anywhere before:
>
> 22. Your writing style will actually change over the course of a single
> day,

For the first hour of the day, I type 'I want coffee, I want coffee'
over and over again.

DB

Bill Penrose

Nov 18, 2010, 1:57:03 PM11/18/10
On Nov 17, 3:38 pm, "Dan Goodman" <dsg...@iphouse.com> wrote:
> One bit of writing advice which I haven't seen anywhere before:
>
> 22. Your writing style will actually change over the course of a single
> day, not just over the course of your lifetime. I write very crisp,
> sharp prose in the morning,
http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/14069.htm

Dead link. But she's on my Livejournal Friends list. 'Discount
Apocalypse' indeed!

DB