Twin Cities MN sf-writing-related events

1 view

Dan Goodman

Nov 17, 2010, 5:42:00 PM11/17/10
Sunday October 10 Noon MnSpec (Minnesota Speculative Writers) Getting
the Most Out of Conventions Lunds
1450 West Lake Street community room on second floor Minneapolis, MN
55408

Michael Merriam will moderate a discussion of how to get the most out
of speculative fiction conventions.

4th Street Fantasy Convention. Arcana. CONvergence. Diversicon.
Marscon. Minicon. Any number of other regional and nations
conventions. What science fiction conventions do you attend and why?
Do you go for the deep literary discussions? All-night SF movies?
Hanging out in the bar? To squee at the guest of Honor? Star Wars vs.
Star Trek vs. Firefly arguments? Do you like watching Klingons fight
Anime Cat-Girls with boffer weapons?

This will be held as a round table discussion.

Sunday October 10 2 PM MPS Critique Workshop 1450 West Lake Street
community room on second floor Minneapolis, MN 55408

Newcomers welcome to observe and listen, to see if this workshop is
for them.

Tuesday October 12 7 PM ESP (East St Paul) Minnesota Speculative
Fiction Writers Davannis Pizza and Hot Hoagies -- East Side 310 White
Bear Ave Saint Paul, MN 55106

How to find us "We'll be in the back meeting room. We're easy to
find--we're the intelligent looking bunch!"

Our topic for next meeting will be Using Opening-paragraph "Hooks".
Everyone is asked to bring in one or two examples of effective hooks
from your favorite authors. We can then dissect them to see how to
apply those criteria to our own writing.
REVISION: WE WILL BE ENTERING THE PARAGRAPHS IN FILES SO WE CAN STUDY
THEM BEFORE THE MEETUP. Sorry for the error.

We will also be discussing the guidelines for our critiques and
whether to use time limits. It seems that it would be necessary only
when attendance exceeds a certain number. We're looking for
everyone's input on this!

Thursday October 21 7 PM Retrofits Writers Group Lunds Market
(Uptown) 1450 West Lake Street Minneapolis, MN 55401

Retrofits is NOT an official workshop of the MinnSpec writer's
network, but we do post notices of our meetings here so that
prospective members can find us.

Here's how Retrofits works: any member may ask to have the rest of
the group critique his/her work. The piece to be critiqued is should
be posted in the files section of the MinnSpec site a week or more in
advance of the meeting. In the header it should be labeled [Crit
RETRO date] along with the story title. We do a round robin style
critique with members commenting verbally on the major things that
they like and dislike about the work. Members often give the person
being critiqued a written copy of the story with minor suggestions
also.

Prospective members are welcome to sit in for a meeting or two. We
are primarily oriented towards speculative fiction, but have also
covered other types of writing for members.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."