Longest LOCAL bus route in the US...

Gallant

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

I just got back from south Florida and must say that I was very very
impressed with the wonderful restructuring of the transit system in Palm
Beach County (West Palm Beach/Boca Raton/Belle Glade).

One observation I must comment on is the length of PALM TRAN's (formerly
CO-TRAN) route #1 via U.S. 1 (Federal Hwy/Dixie Hwy). Since the
reconstructuring, PALM TRAN has created a SINGLE route from Jupiter all the
way down to Boca Raton (up to last week- Deerfield Beach in Broward County).
This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow! The full route takes 3 hours to
complete (minus five minutes). Sidenote: this new route basically replaced
3 old CO-TRAN routes (1T, 1C, and 1S).

If anyone is interested, I have a few extra copies of PALM TRAN's route #1
timetable as well as a ridership on/off count survey I conducted (for both
directions).

Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
routes? Here are a few of my guesses:

-22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
-ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit Authority
-22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County Transit
-266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
-BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp. Authority
-40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran
-72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus

[ these are just from the top of my head- from timetables and maps I've
looked at. I know there are loads of others. Sorry, don't know the actual
mileage for these routes.]

MIKE GALLANT
gal...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu

K.C. Jackson

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

>I just got back from south Florida and must say that I was very very

===cut===

>Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long
>local bus routes? Here are a few of my guesses:
>
> -22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
> -ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit
Authority
> -22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County
Transit
> -266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
> -BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp.
Authority
> -40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran
> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus
>

>[ these are just from the top of my head- from timetables and maps
>I've looked at. I know there are loads of others. Sorry, don't know
>the actual mileage for these routes.]

I would have to add my vote for NJ Transit #559 Lakewood/Atlantic City.
This route travels down US 9 through every town between the two cities
- no express service, no stop restrictions. It runs the same schedule
seven days a week. It's well over 50 miles (I'd have to check and get
the exact mileage.) I don't have a current Ruseel's, but this and
several other long South Jersey routes used to appear there...

KC

Ray Mullins

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <gallant.1...@news.utk.edu>, Gallant <gal...@utk.edu> wrote:

>Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
>routes? Here are a few of my guesses:
>
> -22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
> -ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit Authority
> -22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County Transit
> -266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
> -BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp. Authority
> -40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran
> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus

Let's add Monterey-Salinas Transit 28/29 (Watsonville/Salinas)
Phoenix Transit RED (6 hours round trip) - although I hear this may
be shortened in the near future
Golden Gate Transit 80 (Santa Rosa/SF) and 90 (Sonoma/SF)
Samtrans 5L (<mumble>/Daly City) and 7F (<mumble/SF Express)
OCTA 1 (Cal State L.B/Capistrano Beach)
NCTD 301 (Oceanside/UCSD)
NCTD 305 (San Clemency/Oceanside via Camp Pendleton (YES SIR!))
NCTD 307 (Escondido/Ramona) (has 90 minute headways, so I don't classify
this as a rural bus)
Fairfield-Suisun Transit System 30 (Fairfield/Davis)
The NEW (as of July 1) Yolobus 42, which will operate in a
Woodland/Davis/Sacto loop, with the FIRST EVER transit service to
Sacto Intergalactic Airport

Later,
Ray
--
M. Ray Mullins, Roseville CA
(which has better transit service than Arlington TX, and 1/5 the population)

David W. Barts

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) writes:

> [edited]

>One observation I must comment on is the length of PALM TRAN's (formerly
>CO-TRAN) route #1 via U.S. 1 (Federal Hwy/Dixie Hwy). Since the
>reconstructuring, PALM TRAN has created a SINGLE route from Jupiter all the
>way down to Boca Raton (up to last week- Deerfield Beach in Broward County).
>This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
>According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
>deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
>Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow! The full route takes 3 hours to
>complete (minus five minutes). Sidenote: this new route basically replaced
>3 old CO-TRAN routes (1T, 1C, and 1S).

Wow! 43 miles!

I know that locally, Big Don's favorite transit agency runs express
buses between both Tacoma and Olympia and Tacoma and Seattle, making
it possible to travel between Seattle and Olympia on Pierce Transit
buses. I believe you have to transfer between routes in Tacoma,
however.

An acquaintence who used to be a student at The Evergreen State College
in Olympia says that the time these routes make is competetive with
Greyhound or Amtrak and the total fare is _much_ cheaper. Apparently
it was a popular way for Evergreen students from Seattle to travel
home.

--
David Barts N5JRN | UW Civil Engineering, Box 352700 | Seattle, WA 98195-2700
dav...@ce.washington.edu | http://www.ce.washington.edu/~davidb

Ray Mullins

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <gallant.1...@news.utk.edu>, Gallant <gal...@utk.edu> wrote:
>In Article <E8A1D...@lerami.lerctr.org>, m...@lerami.lerctr.org (Ray

>Mullins) wrote:
>>The NEW (as of July 1) Yolobus 42, which will operate in a
>> Woodland/Davis/Sacto loop, with the FIRST EVER transit service to
>> Sacto Intergalactic Airport
>
>I forgot about route 1 of the OCTA. I rode that long 2-hour route from Seal
>Beach all the way to the last stop at bottom of Orange County. Nice trip.
>I have an old schedule for YOLOBUS (1993)- I don't recall there being very
>many routes in their system (noticing a route 42 as you mentioned above).
>In fact, I seem to remember maybe 4 or 5 routes only. I wonder why they use
>such a high numbering system.

Yolo County Transit Authority (Yolobus) was spun off (sort of) from
Sacramento RT in the 80's. Sometime during the 80's, the GM of RT decided
that they didn't want to serve the outlying regions such as Woodland,
Davis, Yuba City/Marysville, Roseville, and El Dorado County. So he
told these communities that the amount that they were kicking in would
quadruple. These communities decided that they could do the service cheaper,
and told this GM where he could put his rate increase. From this was
born Yolobus (and Roseville Transit, Yuba/Sutter Transit (formerly Hub Area
Transit Authority, and El Dorado Transit as well).

The Yolobus route numbers in the 40's reflect the old RT route numbers (40,
41, 42, 43 and 45). Since then, a new route 39 has been added in West
Sac (doesn't conflict with RT), plus local services in Woodland and Winters,
plus some additional commuter routes. The Woodland locals are 210 and
211, the Winters/Davis/Woodland route is 220, there's some new commuter
routes in the 230's and 240's. 242, 243 and 244 are variants of the 42.
All routes serving Downtown Sacto are given a mention in the RT bus book.

With the service change going into effect on 1 July, most of the commuter
routes will be replaced by expanded Route 42 service. The two Woodland
locals will be combined into one route (don't know the number yet).

But the biggest change is local transit service to Sacramento
<local joke>Intergalactic</local joke> Airport (SMF) by the 42. RT does
not serve the airport, and it won't until light rail reaches the airport
around <sarcasm>2050</sarcasm> or so. RT didn't want Yolobus to serve it
(hey, it's in our county), but SMF management has approved it.

Jon Bell

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Gallant <gal...@utk.edu> wrote:

>I also forgot about those long routes in Phoenix. But PALM TRAN in Palm
>Beach County in south Florida must have some of the longest routes in the
>nation. Routes 1, 2, 3, and 40 are the biggies! The first three routes all
>travel from Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens down to Boca Raton [...]

Route 1 more or less follows Federal Highway (U.S. 1... how's that for a
logical route number? :-). What do routes 2 and 3 follow? I bet one of
them is Military Trail.

Some of the suggested candidates for longest local bus route make me
wonder where to draw the line between "urban" and "interurban" buses.
Although PalmTran serves several municipalities, they definitely form a
continuous urban conglomeration. I'm not sure about some of those other
candidates in New Jersey and California, though.

One of these days I want to try going all the way from West Palm Beach to
Miami by local bus: PalmTran #1 to Boca Raton, then Broward County
Transit #10 to Fort Lauderdale, then BCT #1 to Aventura Mall in northern
Dade County, then Metro-Dade route S (I think) to Miami via Miami Beach. It
would probably ruin my spine, though. :-)

--
Jon Bell <jtb...@presby.edu> Presbyterian College
[ http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/ ]

Access Systems

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Gallant wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:02:16 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Gallant <gal...@utk.edu>
> Subject: Longest LOCAL bus route in the US...

certainly the Baltimore Mass Transit Administration Route 14 from
Baltimore to Annapolis would have to be in the running, the straight line
map distance is 28 miles, but there are several significant side trips.
it is also a little longer on Sundays than during the week.

however since it is on smaller back streets a good part of the time it
does make good time, with a total scheduled running time in the 90 minute
range (fluctuates based on day and time and number of "Via's"

Bob

> This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
> According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
> deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
> Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow! The full route takes 3 hours to
> complete (minus five minutes). Sidenote: this new route basically replaced
> 3 old CO-TRAN routes (1T, 1C, and 1S).
>

> If anyone is interested, I have a few extra copies of PALM TRAN's route #1
> timetable as well as a ridership on/off count survey I conducted (for both
> directions).
>

> Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
> routes? Here are a few of my guesses:
>
> -22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
> -ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit Authority
> -22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County Transit
> -266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
> -BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp. Authority
> -40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran
> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus
>

> [ these are just from the top of my head- from timetables and maps I've
> looked at. I know there are loads of others. Sorry, don't know the actual
> mileage for these routes.]
>

> MIKE GALLANT
> gal...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu

Ray Mullins

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <E8AE9...@presby.edu>, Jon Bell <jtb...@presby.edu> wrote:
> Gallant <gal...@utk.edu> wrote:
>>
>>I also forgot about those long routes in Phoenix. But PALM TRAN in Palm
>>Beach County in south Florida must have some of the longest routes in the
>>nation. Routes 1, 2, 3, and 40 are the biggies! The first three routes all
>>travel from Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens down to Boca Raton [...]
>
>Route 1 more or less follows Federal Highway (U.S. 1... how's that for a
>logical route number? :-). What do routes 2 and 3 follow? I bet one of
>them is Military Trail.
>
>Some of the suggested candidates for longest local bus route make me
>wonder where to draw the line between "urban" and "interurban" buses.
>Although PalmTran serves several municipalities, they definitely form a
>continuous urban conglomeration. I'm not sure about some of those other
>candidates in New Jersey and California, though.

All of the CA routes are mostly local, with maybe some express operation
(GGT 80 is mostly express, OCTA 1 and the NCTD routes are 100% local).

>One of these days I want to try going all the way from West Palm Beach to
>Miami by local bus: PalmTran #1 to Boca Raton, then Broward County
>Transit #10 to Fort Lauderdale, then BCT #1 to Aventura Mall in northern
>Dade County, then Metro-Dade route S (I think) to Miami via Miami Beach. It
>would probably ruin my spine, though. :-)

Aww, give it a shot! I've done the San Fernando Valley to the Mexican
border, using the NCTD 305. Back in the late 80s there was an RTD 167
trip that went across the middle of the valley at 4AM, allowing you to
catch the 955AM NCTD 305.

Gallant

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Mullins) wrote:
>In article <gallant.1...@news.utk.edu>, Gallant <gal...@utk.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
>>routes? Here are a few of my guesses:
>>
>> -22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
>> -ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit Authority
>> -22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County Transit
>> -266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
>> -BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp. Authority
>> -40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran
>> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus
>
>Let's add Monterey-Salinas Transit 28/29 (Watsonville/Salinas)
>Phoenix Transit RED (6 hours round trip) - although I hear this may
> be shortened in the near future
>Golden Gate Transit 80 (Santa Rosa/SF) and 90 (Sonoma/SF)
>Samtrans 5L (<mumble>/Daly City) and 7F (<mumble/SF Express)
>OCTA 1 (Cal State L.B/Capistrano Beach)
>NCTD 301 (Oceanside/UCSD)
>NCTD 305 (San Clemency/Oceanside via Camp Pendleton (YES SIR!))
>NCTD 307 (Escondido/Ramona) (has 90 minute headways, so I don't classify
> this as a rural bus)
>Fairfield-Suisun Transit System 30 (Fairfield/Davis)
>The NEW (as of July 1) Yolobus 42, which will operate in a
> Woodland/Davis/Sacto loop, with the FIRST EVER transit service to
> Sacto Intergalactic Airport

Hello Ray,

I forgot about route 1 of the OCTA. I rode that long 2-hour route from Seal
Beach all the way to the last stop at bottom of Orange County. Nice trip.
I have an old schedule for YOLOBUS (1993)- I don't recall there being very
many routes in their system (noticing a route 42 as you mentioned above).
In fact, I seem to remember maybe 4 or 5 routes only. I wonder why they use
such a high numbering system.

I also forgot about those long routes in Phoenix. But PALM TRAN in Palm

Beach County in south Florida must have some of the longest routes in the
nation. Routes 1, 2, 3, and 40 are the biggies! The first three routes all

travel from Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens down to Boca Raton but route
1 also has an extended leg up to Jupiter once an hour. Gee, for just one
dollar, you can travel over 40 miles!!! Nope- no zone fares for PALM TRAN
unlike MONTEREY-SALINAS TRANSIT (which I think have fares a bit too high).

A few other routes I forgot:

20-HICKSVILLE/FLUSHING Long Island Bus (Nassau County, NY)
70?- OGDEN/SALT LAKE CITY/PROVO UTA (though, this route may have
some express portions, I can't remember)
340- AURORA VILLAGE/BELLEVUE/BURIEN Metro (Seattle, WA)
174- DOWNTOWN SEATTLE/SEA-TAC/etc. Metro (Seattle, WA)

MIKE GALLANT
gal...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu

Access Systems

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Jon Bell wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:02:22 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Jon Bell <jtb...@presby.edu>
> Subject: Re: Longest LOCAL bus route in the US...

> Route 1 more or less follows Federal Highway (U.S. 1... how's that for a
> logical route number? :-). What do routes 2 and 3 follow? I bet one of
> them is Military Trail.

huh, U.S. 1 runs from Maine to Florida along the East coast. how did it
get to Arizona??? did I miss a turn ???

Bob

Kedamono

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <5ibj7j$i...@nntp1.u.washington.edu>, dav...@ce.washington.edu
(David W. Barts) wrote:

> gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) writes:
>
> > [edited]
> >One observation I must comment on is the length of PALM TRAN's (formerly
> >CO-TRAN) route #1 via U.S. 1 (Federal Hwy/Dixie Hwy). Since the
> >reconstructuring, PALM TRAN has created a SINGLE route from Jupiter all the
> >way down to Boca Raton (up to last week- Deerfield Beach in Broward County).

> >This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
> >According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
> >deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
> >Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow! The full route takes 3 hours to
> >complete (minus five minutes). Sidenote: this new route basically replaced
> >3 old CO-TRAN routes (1T, 1C, and 1S).
>

> Wow! 43 miles!
>
> I know that locally, Big Don's favorite transit agency runs express
> buses between both Tacoma and Olympia and Tacoma and Seattle, making
> it possible to travel between Seattle and Olympia on Pierce Transit
> buses. I believe you have to transfer between routes in Tacoma,
> however.
>
> An acquaintence who used to be a student at The Evergreen State College
> in Olympia says that the time these routes make is competetive with
> Greyhound or Amtrak and the total fare is _much_ cheaper. Apparently
> it was a popular way for Evergreen students from Seattle to travel
> home.

Let's not neglect the King County Metro Route 340. It goes from Shoreline,
Wash, to Burien, Wash, via the eastside of Lake Washington, nearly 5.5
hours round trip, and is treated as a local bus in many parts of its run.
Drivers do get a nominal 20 minute break at either end, nominal unless
they are running late of course! I've talked to one driver who took a
break to go the bathroom, before she got back on the bus and finished the
rest of the butt numbing ride.

I don't know the milage on the run, but maybe Cynthia does.

--
The Kedamono Dragon | The "Anthill Inside" Page is at:
Keda...@concentric.NOSPAM-net | http://www.concentric.net/~kedamono

Charles P. Hobbs

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Ray Mullins wrote:

> But the biggest change is local transit service to Sacramento
> <local joke>Intergalactic</local joke> Airport (SMF) by the 42. RT does
> not serve the airport, and it won't until light rail reaches the airport
> around <sarcasm>2050</sarcasm> or so. RT didn't want Yolobus to serve it
> (hey, it's in our county), but SMF management has approved it.

So, when does service start? And how often will it run?

Larry Gould

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

...and don't forget NJT routes numbered 313 and 4o1, 402, 408,
410....they go from
Philadelphia to Asbury Park, and various South Jersey points and will
stopat any
corner if flagged.
--
Larry Gould
yt...@panix.com

Steve

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

>Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long
>local bus routes? Here are a few of my guesses:

<SNIP>

> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus

Huh? Hempstead to Babylon is only 18 miles. Give or take a couple for
the actual bus route.

SCRTD (California) used to have a run, ages ago, that started in
downtown Los Angeles and went all the way to Yucaipa. It was one of
the "60" lines (60E, 60F, 60G). That was about 72 miles one way. And
it used to have buses with four-speed stick-shift transmissions running
it!

LARRY

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In <5ic7oh$9...@sjx-ixn7.ix.netcom.com> shos...@ix.netcom.com(Steve)
writes:

>Huh? Hempstead to Babylon is only 18 miles. Give or take a couple
for
>the actual bus route.
>
>SCRTD (California) used to have a run, ages ago, that started in
>downtown Los Angeles and went all the way to Yucaipa. It was one of
>the "60" lines (60E, 60F, 60G). That was about 72 miles one way. And
>it used to have buses with four-speed stick-shift transmissions
running
>it!

Last year Dallas had one local which extended to Shreveport, but turned
out to be a hijacking.

--
---------------------------------
Credit belongs to those actually in the arena, not to observers.

James D. Umbach

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On Mon, 7 Apr 97 15:03:39 GMT, you wrote:

YOU>If anyone is interested, I have a few extra copies of PALM TRAN's
route #1
YOU>timetable as well as a ridership on/off count survey I conducted
(for both
YOU>directions).

If you can spare one, I'll swap you a Sacramento light rail timetable
and a few other Sacramento transit goodies for it . . .

Also, there once was an OmniTrans route in Southern California that
went from Montclair to Cabazon, a distance of over 50 miles (80 km)!
I'm sorry I don't have the details, but Ray Mullins does. Ask him. .

Herc Wad

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Some really long routes in Southern California

LACMTA 4 (Santa Monica-Downtown L.A. via Santa Monica Bl.)-The schedule
may say it takes 1 hour and 45 minutes, but it feels much longer.

Fresno Area Express 26 (Loops all over the place)-1 hour and 53 minutes.

San Diego Transit 20 (Downtown San Diego-North County Fair Express)-Over 2
hours, and this is mostly on a freeway!

San Diego Transit 34 (Downtown San Diego-La Jolla)-2 hours.

***
SoCalTIP, Southern California's Comprehensive Transportation Information Page:
<http://socaltip.lerctr.org> (Back online after technical boo-boos.)
***

Nelson S. Benzing

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.97040...@smarty.smart.net>,
Access Systems <acce...@smart.net> wrote:

Yeah, somewhere in Georgia, I suppose.

Nelson

Fred B. Young Jr.

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Ray Mullins wrote:

<snip>

> But the biggest change is local transit service to Sacramento
> <local joke>Intergalactic</local joke> Airport (SMF) by the 42. RT does
> not serve the airport, and it won't until light rail reaches the airport
> around <sarcasm>2050</sarcasm> or so. RT didn't want Yolobus to serve it
> (hey, it's in our county), but SMF management has approved it.

LOL!

Love those "HTML" tags! :D

--
"If it makes you happy...then why the hell are you so sad?"
-Sheryl Crow

Fred B. Young Jr.
USC-University of Southern California

*-remove the .nospam to reply

Ray Mullins

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article <5icd02$li6$1...@your.mother.com>,

Close; it was Montclair to Yucaipa, but was taken over from SCRTD. This
was the original 60<mumble> route mentioned earlier.

Ray Mullins

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article <334947...@primenet.com>,
Charles P. Hobbs <tra...@primenet.nospam> wrote:

>Ray Mullins wrote:
>
>> But the biggest change is local transit service to Sacramento
>> <local joke>Intergalactic</local joke> Airport (SMF) by the 42. RT does
>> not serve the airport, and it won't until light rail reaches the airport
>> around <sarcasm>2050</sarcasm> or so. RT didn't want Yolobus to serve it
>> (hey, it's in our county), but SMF management has approved it.
>
>So, when does service start? And how often will it run?

It's scheduled to start July 1, with hourly service in each direction. I
don't know the hours, but I'm pretty sure it will cover rush hour M-F,
and all day every day. Service to Woodland on Sundays on the 42 will
start as well.

Access Systems

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Ray Mullins wrote:

> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:39:22 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: Re: Transit to Sacramento Airport--it's about time( was: Re: Yolobus

> In article <334947...@primenet.com>,
> Charles P. Hobbs <tra...@primenet.nospam> wrote:
> >Ray Mullins wrote:
> >
> >> <local joke>Intergalactic</local joke> Airport (SMF) by the 42. RT does
> >

> >So, when does service start? And how often will it run?
>
> It's scheduled to start July 1, with hourly service in each direction. I
> don't know the hours, but I'm pretty sure it will cover rush hour M-F,
> and all day every day. Service to Woodland on Sundays on the 42 will
> start as well.

But when does the flight to Alpha Centari leave??

Bob (I'm packed !)

Access Systems

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Nelson S. Benzing wrote:

> > > Subject: Re: Longest LOCAL bus route in the US...
> > >

> > > Route 1 more or less follows Federal Highway (U.S. 1... how's that for a
> > > logical route number? :-). What do routes 2 and 3 follow? I bet one of
> > > them is Military Trail.
> >
> > huh, U.S. 1 runs from Maine to Florida along the East coast. how did it
> > get to Arizona??? did I miss a turn ???
>
> Yeah, somewhere in Georgia, I suppose.
> >
> Nelson

yes the confusion of citings left me thinking Palmtran was in Phoenix for
some reason!!! I realized the misteak after I read a few more posts!

Bob

Dobrow Stephen

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

What was the fare?

Aren't there some long transit routes in Suffolk County, NY?

---Stephen Dobrow

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Gallant wrote:

> I just got back from south Florida and must say that I was very very

> impressed with the wonderful restructuring of the transit system in Palm
> Beach County (West Palm Beach/Boca Raton/Belle Glade).
>

> One observation I must comment on is the length of PALM TRAN's (formerly
> CO-TRAN) route #1 via U.S. 1 (Federal Hwy/Dixie Hwy). Since the
> reconstructuring, PALM TRAN has created a SINGLE route from Jupiter all the
> way down to Boca Raton (up to last week- Deerfield Beach in Broward County).
> This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
> According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
> deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
> Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow! The full route takes 3 hours to
> complete (minus five minutes). Sidenote: this new route basically replaced
> 3 old CO-TRAN routes (1T, 1C, and 1S).
>

> If anyone is interested, I have a few extra copies of PALM TRAN's route #1

> timetable as well as a ridership on/off count survey I conducted (for both

> directions).

> Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
> routes? Here are a few of my guesses:
>

> -22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
> -ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit Authority
> -22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County Transit
> -266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
> -BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp. Authority
> -40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran

> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus

FWellman

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

SEPTA has few suburban bus routes that seem to go for ever.Although the
may not have the direct mileage the travel time is brutal. One is RT96
Norritown to Teleford <which by car is easily 1 hr direct>. One speical
nomination is my favorite by COTA Central Ohio Transit Auth. <Columbus> R
8 Hamilton Ave, Frebis. Not sure of the second spelling. It actually
runs very little on the streets it is named after. They take a distance
that you can drive in 30-40 minutes at rush hour and turn it into the bus
from hell. It takes every possible turn and side street. Just to make it
more fun the RT splits at one point returns to the same route appx 3 miles
later and now goes appx 2 more miles. What it loses in distance it makes
up for in travel time.

James D. Umbach

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

"Charles P. Hobbs" <tra...@primenet.com> wrote:

YOU>Ray Mullins wrote:

YOU>> But the biggest change is local transit service to Sacramento
YOU>> <local joke>Intergalactic</local joke> Airport (SMF) by the 42.
RT does
YOU>> not serve the airport, and it won't until light rail reaches the
airport
YOU>> around <sarcasm>2050</sarcasm> or so. RT didn't want Yolobus to
serve it
YOU>> (hey, it's in our county), but SMF management has approved it.

YOU>So, when does service start? And how often will it run?

According to Ray, service will begin in July. Headways will probably
be every hour Monday - Saturday, every 2 hours on Sunday.

A little trivia: Until then, did you know that Sacramento is the
largest metropolitan area in the WORLD (pop. 1,400,000) without
transit access to its International airport? Yes, that includes all
of Africa and Latin America. So, now that it is getting access, what
is the largest?

JAMES D. UMBACH of CITRUS HEIGHTS, CALIFORNIA
THE LARGEST GENERAL LAW CITY (pop. wise) IN SACRAMENTO COUNTY!
e-mail : apo...@visionnet.net web : http://www.mother.com/~apostle
Cool Site of the Fortnight (29MAR97-11APR97):
http://groundhog.sprl.umich.edu/

Herc Wad

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

James Umbach wrote:

>Also, there once was an OmniTrans route in Southern California that
>went from Montclair to Cabazon, a distance of over 50 miles (80 km)!
>I'm sorry I don't have the details, but Ray Mullins does. Ask him. .

I know quite a bit about it.

That route went from Montclair (actually the westernmost part of Fontana,
but for exaggeration's sake, we'll say Montclair) to Yucaipa, a distance
of about 43 miles. Cabazon is in Riverside County, and the only
inter-SB/Riverside County exchanges made are at Country Village.

That route was Omnitrans 14, and it took 2 1/4 hours to do. As of January,
the route was broken in half. Omnitrans 14 now goes between San Bernardino
and Yucaipa, and Omnitrans 8/9 serve the portion between Fontana and San
Bernardino.

The whole Omnitrans restructuring was not to simplify routes, but to
encourage more transfers, and thus more purchases of a day pass (no
transfers since July).

David Grant

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Herc Wad <her...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970409061...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> The whole Omnitrans restructuring was not to simplify routes,
> but to encourage more transfers, and thus more purchases of
> a day pass (no transfers since July).

Say what?!?!?!

They deliberately broke up routes to force additional transfers simply so they
could sell more day passes?????

Don't get me wrong - sometimes there are good reasons to break up routes - but
this has got to be the worst. I mean it. This stinks if it's true. I sure
hope I'm just misunderstanding you.

Mike Ward

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:15:15 -0500 (CDT), Access Systems
<acce...@smart.net> wrote:

>But when does the flight to Alpha Centari leave??
>
>Bob (I'm packed !)

I believe Sacramento Intergalactic Airport was a joke that originated
with a local newspaper columnist - it's kinda cute. :D The local
political types decided to rename what was then Sacramento
Metro(politan) Airport to Sacramento International Airport.

Of course, this conveniently overlooks the fact that you CAN'T GET AN
INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT out of Sacramento. ;) (You can connect at another
city, but you can't get on one plane and end up on that same plane out
of the U.S., even as a one-stop or more-stop.)

I razz the folks at SMF about this and about their way-outta-town
location (approximately 12 miles out of downtown Sacramento, which
doesn't seem like much, but it's at least 5 miles from anything
remotely resembling civilization, save for ARCO Arena) all the
time....the airport folks are *great*, I talk with them fairly
often... but they weren't the ones who voted to change the name. ;)

Mike

Gallant

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In Article <E8AE9...@presby.edu>, jtb...@presby.edu (Jon Bell) wrote:

> Gallant <gal...@utk.edu> wrote:
>>
>>I also forgot about those long routes in Phoenix. But PALM TRAN in Palm
>>Beach County in south Florida must have some of the longest routes in the
>>nation. Routes 1, 2, 3, and 40 are the biggies! The first three routes all
>>travel from Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens down to Boca Raton [...]

>Route 1 more or less follows Federal Highway (U.S. 1... how's that for a
>logical route number? :-). What do routes 2 and 3 follow? I bet one of
>them is Military Trail.

You betcha! Route 3 follows Military Trail all the way up to the Palm Beach
Gardens area where it turns onto Hook Rd (??) and proceeds to GARDENS MALL.
Route 2 follows mostly on Congress Avenue with deviations onto Austrailia
Ave and into downtown West Palm Beach (via Quadrille Blvd) and some portions
also on I-95 for a couple miles. I rode both routes. Route 3 is a bit
lacking in the ridership but route 2 is great.

>Some of the suggested candidates for longest local bus route make me
>wonder where to draw the line between "urban" and "interurban" buses.
>Although PalmTran serves several municipalities, they definitely form a
>continuous urban conglomeration. I'm not sure about some of those other
>candidates in New Jersey and California, though.

I agree. I do not really consider the long NEW YORK CITY to TRENTON (or
wherever) routes as being local. I consider them more regional bus routes.
But of course, some local New Jersey Transit routes within the state are
quite lengthy, but I don't think they beat out the 43+ miles of PALM TRAN's
route 1 in PALM BEACH COUNTY, Florida.

>One of these days I want to try going all the way from West Palm Beach to
>Miami by local bus: PalmTran #1 to Boca Raton, then Broward County
>Transit #10 to Fort Lauderdale, then BCT #1 to Aventura Mall in northern
>Dade County, then Metro-Dade route S (I think) to Miami via Miami Beach. It
>would probably ruin my spine, though. :-)

Well, I've ridden all of those routes but not continuously. It surely can
be done. It would really be neat if you had the ambition of riding all the
way from TEQUESTA (just north of JUPITER) down to HOMESTEAD, Florida by
transit buses. If you need that routing, let me know. It can be done-
though, I'd recommend starting in TEQUESTA and working your way down,
because PALM TRAN's ROUTE 10 or 11 only runs till about 6:00 pm.

MIKE GALLANT
gal...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu

Ray Mullins

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In article <334b57f1...@nnrp.crl.com>, Mike Ward <mw...@crl.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:15:15 -0500 (CDT), Access Systems
><acce...@smart.net> wrote:
>
>>But when does the flight to Alpha Centari leave??
>>
>>Bob (I'm packed !)
>
>I believe Sacramento Intergalactic Airport was a joke that originated
>with a local newspaper columnist - it's kinda cute. :D The local
>political types decided to rename what was then Sacramento
>Metro(politan) Airport to Sacramento International Airport.

Yes, it was a columnist in the Sacramento Pee.

>Of course, this conveniently overlooks the fact that you CAN'T GET AN
>INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT out of Sacramento. ;) (You can connect at another
>city, but you can't get on one plane and end up on that same plane out
>of the U.S., even as a one-stop or more-stop.)

Whoa...I think there's one flight a week to either Canada or Mexico;
despite NAFTA, they are still foreign countries... <g>

>I razz the folks at SMF about this and about their way-outta-town
>location (approximately 12 miles out of downtown Sacramento, which
>doesn't seem like much, but it's at least 5 miles from anything
>remotely resembling civilization, save for ARCO Arena) all the
>time....the airport folks are *great*, I talk with them fairly
>often... but they weren't the ones who voted to change the name. ;)

At the risk of straying from this newsgroup's topics, this airport is
so far out that I can take a route west from Roseville and within 5
miles I'm out in the country, with farms and ranchettes. Heck, if I
continue to Woodland, I go through 4 counties! But no direct transit
service from where I live, though; when the Yolobus 42 starts, I will
be able to take Roseville K (or J if I walk 3/4 mile)->RT 103 (service
starts 15 June)->RT LR->Yolo 42.

Ray Mullins

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Herc Wad <her...@aol.com> wrote:
>James Umbach wrote:
>
>>Also, there once was an OmniTrans route in Southern California that
>>went from Montclair to Cabazon, a distance of over 50 miles (80 km)!
>>I'm sorry I don't have the details, but Ray Mullins does. Ask him. .
>
>I know quite a bit about it.
>
>That route went from Montclair (actually the westernmost part of Fontana,
>but for exaggeration's sake, we'll say Montclair) to Yucaipa, a distance
>of about 43 miles. Cabazon is in Riverside County, and the only
>inter-SB/Riverside County exchanges made are at Country Village.

The original 14 did originate at Montclair Plaza, but was cut to Fontana
in the late 80's. And Herc, did you forget about the RTA 36 (Banning/
Yucaipa), running MWF, and the RTA 25, which runs Riverside/Loma Linda?

>That route was Omnitrans 14, and it took 2 1/4 hours to do. As of January,
>the route was broken in half. Omnitrans 14 now goes between San Bernardino
>and Yucaipa, and Omnitrans 8/9 serve the portion between Fontana and San
>Bernardino.
>

>The whole Omnitrans restructuring was not to simplify routes, but to
>encourage more transfers, and thus more purchases of a day pass (no
>transfers since July).

Later,

Jon Bell

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Ray Mullins <m...@lerami.lerctr.org> wrote:

>Yes, it was a columnist in the Sacramento Pee.

Is that part of the same chain that owns the Atlanta Urinal and
Constipation? :-)

--
Jon Bell <jtb...@presby.edu> Presbyterian College
[ http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/ ]

Charles P. Hobbs

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Herc Wad wrote:

> That route went from Montclair (actually the westernmost part of Fontana,
> but for exaggeration's sake, we'll say Montclair) to Yucaipa, a distance
> of about 43 miles. Cabazon is in Riverside County, and the only
> inter-SB/Riverside County exchanges made are at Country Village.
>

> That route was Omnitrans 14, and it took 2 1/4 hours to do. As of January,
> the route was broken in half. Omnitrans 14 now goes between San Bernardino
> and Yucaipa, and Omnitrans 8/9 serve the portion between Fontana and San
> Bernardino.

I remember when the #14 ran all the way from Montclair to Yucaipa, as
one line. (The drivers would sometimes let passengers have restroom
breaks in Fontana).

In fact, I have a *really* old schedule (4/75) showing #14 running from
Upland
(later extended to Montclair, when SCRTD pulled back from Upland) to
Calimesa. . .

James D. Umbach

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

"Fred B. Young Jr." <yo...@almaak.usc.edu> wrote:

YOU>Ray Mullins wrote:
YOU>>

YOU><snip>

YOU>> But the biggest change is local transit service to Sacramento
YOU>> <local joke>Intergalactic</local joke> Airport (SMF) by the 42.
RT does
YOU>> not serve the airport, and it won't until light rail reaches the
airport
YOU>> around <sarcasm>2050</sarcasm> or so. RT didn't want Yolobus to
serve it
YOU>> (hey, it's in our county), but SMF management has approved it.
YOU>>

YOU>LOL!

YOU>Love those "HTML" tags! :D

For those of you not in the Sacramento area (and that would be all
but about 3 of us, AFAIK):

Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.

Michael D. Setty

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Ray Mullins wrote:

> In article <E8AE9...@presby.edu>, Jon Bell <jtb...@presby.edu> wrote:
> > Gallant <gal...@utk.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >>I also forgot about those long routes in Phoenix. But PALM TRAN in Palm
> >>Beach County in south Florida must have some of the longest routes in the
> >>nation. Routes 1, 2, 3, and 40 are the biggies! The first three routes all
> >>travel from Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens down to Boca Raton [...]

Stuff deleted

In the San Francisco Bay Area, Golden Gate Transit's Route 80 between
Downtown San Francisco and Santa Rosa is approximately 60 miles long. It
makes local stops within San Francisco, then operates express to San
Rafael, then express again to Novato and Petaluma, with a mix of local
and express service the remainder of the way to Santa Rosa. Thus may not
qualify strictly by the "all local stops" criteria.

In Santa Clara County, Route 68 between Gabilan College, Gilroy, Morgan
Hill and downtown San Jose is approximatley 35 miles long, making most
local stops inbetween. There is also a Samtrans route that runs along El
Camino Real between Palo Alto and the Daly City BART station (or is it
Colma now?). There are a number of other SCCTD, AC Transit and Samtrans
routes that are local but well over 20 miles in length.

Here in Napa County, "Napa Valley Transit" operates as a single 45-mile
route between Vallejo, Napa, Yountville, St. Helena and Calistoga.
Travel time in one direction is about 2 hours. Much of the territory,
particularly between Vallejo and Napa and Yountville is vacant, thus a
"local" operating express because there is no activity to serve. Sonoma
County Transit also operates a number of "local" all stop rural routes,
for exmaple one to the Russian River area, Sonoma Valley, and north
along US 101 to Windsor, Healdsburg, and Cloverdale, about 35 miles
long.

Mike Ward

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:51:20 GMT, m...@lerami.lerctr.org (Ray Mullins)
wrote:

>Whoa...I think there's one flight a week to either Canada or Mexico;
>despite NAFTA, they are still foreign countries... <g>

I'll have to check on this when I talk to Laura Gipson later today,
but I believe there's STILL no direct flights to either Canada
(Vancouver, etc.) or Mexico. I know there was talk about some Mexican
airline providing direct service, but I don't think that's gotten
beyond the talking stages yet.

>At the risk of straying from this newsgroup's topics, this airport is
>so far out that I can take a route west from Roseville and within 5
>miles I'm out in the country, with farms and ranchettes. Heck, if I
>continue to Woodland, I go through 4 counties! But no direct transit
>service from where I live, though; when the Yolobus 42 starts, I will
>be able to take Roseville K (or J if I walk 3/4 mile)->RT 103 (service
>starts 15 June)->RT LR->Yolo 42.

Hmm, that's quite a connection, but whatever works :D

Mike

Gerald L. Squier

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

David Grant wrote:

> Herc Wad <her...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19970409061...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>
> > The whole Omnitrans restructuring was not to simplify routes,
> > but to encourage more transfers, and thus more purchases of
> > a day pass (no transfers since July).
>
> Say what?!?!?!
>
> They deliberately broke up routes to force additional transfers simply so they
> could sell more day passes?????
>
> Don't get me wrong - sometimes there are good reasons to break up routes - but
> this has got to be the worst. I mean it. This stinks if it's true. I sure
> hope I'm just misunderstanding you.

You may have noticed that at times Herc embelishes fact with opinion in the absense of
sufficient information. It is not normal policy for transit agencies to explain the
rationalle for their decisions--primarily because in invites "Monday Morning
Quarterbacking." As we can see, however, in this case it did no good!

Access Systems

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Peter Rosa wrote:

> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:02:16 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Peter Rosa <pro...@worldnet.att.net>

> > Of course, this conveniently overlooks the fact that you CAN'T GET AN
> > INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT out of Sacramento. ;) (You can connect at another
> > city, but you can't get on one plane and end up on that same plane out
> > of the U.S., even as a one-stop or more-stop.)
> >

> Sacramento is hardly unusual in that regard; it sometimes seems like every
> U.S. airport with a paved runway (though that's probably negotiable) calls
> itself "International."

Of course this overlooks the "International" airport at Port Clinton Ohio
where Island Airways makes the 12 minute flight to the Canadian Pelee
island!!!!
hmmm I wonder if the Sandusky bus system has a line out there??

Bob

Jon Nouchi

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In article <gallant.1...@news.utk.edu>, gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) wrote:

> Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
> routes? Here are a few of my guesses:
>
> -22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
> -ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit Authority
> -22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County Transit
> -266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
> -BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp. Authority
> -40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran
> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus

The Honolulu Public Transit Authority and its agency TheBus in Honolulu,
Hawai'i operates a route that circles almost the entire island of O'ahu.
It is split into two routes, the 52 and 55, the 52 travelling in a
clockwise direction and the 55 in the opposite direction, both beginning
near downtown Honolulu. The route takes approximately four hours to
complete one circle.

Jon Nouchi
jonn...@hawaii.edu

James Bow

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

David W. Barts wrote:

> gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) writes:
>
> > [edited]

> >One observation I must comment on is the length of PALM TRAN's (formerly
> >CO-TRAN) route #1 via U.S. 1 (Federal Hwy/Dixie Hwy). Since the
> >reconstructuring, PALM TRAN has created a SINGLE route from Jupiter all the
> >way down to Boca Raton (up to last week- Deerfield Beach in Broward County).
> >This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
> >According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
> >deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
> >Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow! The full route takes 3 hours to
> >complete (minus five minutes). Sidenote: this new route basically replaced
> >3 old CO-TRAN routes (1T, 1C, and 1S).
>
> Wow! 43 miles!

A question I have to ask in all of this is, how do the transit agencies
running all of these long routes handle delays to service? Do they have
trouble with buses bunching up in heavy traffic? How reliable is the
service? What is the frequency of this bus route in particular?
--
James Bow - MIS Department || // // ,' /~~~\' Mortice Kern Systems
e-mail jb...@mks.com /||/// //\\ `\\\ Waterloo, Ontario

Peter Rosa

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Mike Ward <mw...@crl.com> wrote in article
<334b57f1...@nnrp.crl.com>...

> On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:15:15 -0500 (CDT), Access Systems
> <acce...@smart.net> wrote:
>

> I believe Sacramento Intergalactic Airport was a joke that originated
> with a local newspaper columnist - it's kinda cute. :D The local
> political types decided to rename what was then Sacramento
> Metro(politan) Airport to Sacramento International Airport.

Steve

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In <5icaui$n...@sjx-ixn11.ix.netcom.com> lar...@ix.netcom.com(LARRY)
writes:

>Last year Dallas had one local which extended to Shreveport, but
>turned out to be a hijacking.

Glad to hear all the bus hijackings aren't in southern California!!
Seems like we've had a rash of them the past year or so.

BTW, for what it's worth...anyone seen OCTA's brand new Ford utility
bed service truck around? It got stolen from the Anaheim Base over the
past weekend!!! (Speculation has it that it went to Tijuana, which is
just fine, as all our old buses seem to be there too.....)

Peter Parker

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

shos...@ix.netcom.com(Steve) wrote:

>SCRTD (California) used to have a run, ages ago, that started in
>downtown Los Angeles and went all the way to Yucaipa. It was one of
>the "60" lines (60E, 60F, 60G). That was about 72 miles one way. And
>it used to have buses with four-speed stick-shift transmissions running
>it!

With routes that long, how well did buses keep to their timetables, with
traffic delays, etc? Or, were buses so frequent (say every 10 min) that
exact timetables weren't really necessary?
Peter Parker

E-mail: par...@pcug.org.au
Phone: (06) 285 1004 (ah)
Amateur Radio: VK1PK

Home Page: http://www.pcug.org.au/~parkerp/
The home of Novice Notes Online and the VK QRP Web Page.

David Allen White

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:02:31 -0500 (CDT), James D.
Umbach wrote:

>Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
>Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
>airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
>airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
>Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
>believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.

They should have done the same thing with the
airport in my home town of Louisville, Ky. It
has been known all these years as Standiford
Field, but in the last few years it has been
renamed "Louisville International Airport" only
because two of the airlines that come in are
partly owned by foreign airlines. It has no
international flights. Don't airport authorities
know how ridiculous they sound when they use
names that don't represent reality. Sort of like
the old Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railroad.

David

David Allen White
Senior Descriptive Cataloger
Anglo-American History and Literature Team 3
Library of Congress
Washington DC USA
da...@loc.gov

"Cantemus Domino; gloriose enim magnificatus est; equum et ascensorem dejecit in mare." -- Exodus 15:1 (Easter canticle)

Steve

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In <334ca...@cheese.pcug.org.au> Peter Parker <par...@pcug.org.au>
writes:

>shos...@ix.netcom.com(Steve) wrote:
>>SCRTD (California) used to have a run, ages ago, that started in
>>downtown Los Angeles and went all the way to Yucaipa. It was one of
>>the "60" lines (60E, 60F, 60G). That was about 72 miles one way.
>>And it used to have buses with four-speed stick-shift transmissions
>>runningit!
>
>With routes that long, how well did buses keep to their timetables,
>with traffic delays, etc? Or, were buses so frequent (say every 10
>min) that exact timetables weren't really necessary?

That particular route did a LOT of on-and-off the freeway, as well as a
lot of running on out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere roads. And the traffic
was a heck of a lot less then! I believe it ran about every 30
minutes, and the schedule was fairly accurate. They also didn't even
have communications radios in the buses in those days!

Peter Saint James

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

>>Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
>>Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
>>airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
>>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
>>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
>>airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
>>Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
>>believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.

Maybe they can get the space shuttle to land there once to live up
to the name.

cdd...@aol.com

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <334C41...@napanet.net>, "Michael D. Setty" <mse...@napanet.net> writes:

>In Santa Clara County, Route 68 between Gabilan College, Gilroy, Morgan
>Hill and downtown San Jose is approximatley 35 miles long, making most
>local stops inbetween.

Probably not the longest, but UTA in Utah has an all-local-stop route (#70) from Salt Lake to Ogden which is at least 35 miles long. There's also an express to Provo which is at least 40 miles long,
but that wouldn't fit the criteria.

David Shelton
E-mail--->cdd...@aol.com
Website--->http://members.aol.com/Cddman/index.html

James D. Umbach

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

jtb...@presby.edu (Jon Bell) wrote:

YOU> Ray Mullins <m...@lerami.lerctr.org> wrote:
YOU>>
YOU>>Yes, it was a columnist in the Sacramento Pee.

YOU>Is that part of the same chain that owns the Atlanta Urinal and
YOU>Constipation? :-)

Obviously, you're a dittohead. :-)

No, the Pee is owned by the McClatchy family, a well known clan out
here on the west coast. The family runs the Sacramento Pee as well as
the Modesto Pee and the Fresno Pee. For my local news, I read the
Metro section, but that's pretty much it. My newspaper of choice is
the San Jose Mercury-News, which IMHO is the best paper published in
Northern California, with the San Francisco Chronicle a close second.

Jon Bell

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

James D. Umbach <apo...@mail.mother.com> wrote:
>jtb...@presby.edu (Jon Bell) wrote:
>
>YOU> Ray Mullins <m...@lerami.lerctr.org> wrote:
>YOU>>
>YOU>>Yes, it was a columnist in the Sacramento Pee.
>
>YOU>Is that part of the same chain that owns the Atlanta Urinal and
>YOU>Constipation? :-)
>
>Obviously, you're a dittohead. :-)

Nah, I just like good puns. :-)

But I do have a tenuous connection with Rush. Remember his famous sign
that points to Prosperity in one directon and to Clinton in the other?
The original is about twenty miles down the road from here, in Newberry
SC. I drive past it when I take the "back way" to Columbia.

David Grant

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Gerald L. Squier <GL...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<334C5F...@pacbell.net>...

> > > The whole Omnitrans restructuring was not to simplify routes,
> > > but to encourage more transfers, and thus more purchases of
> > > a day pass (no transfers since July).
> >

> > They deliberately broke up routes to force additional transfers
> > simply so they could sell more day passes?????
>

> You may have noticed that at times Herc embelishes fact with opinion
> in the absense of sufficient information. It is not normal policy for
transit
> agencies to explain the rationalle for their decisions--primarily because in
> invites "Monday Morning Quarterbacking."

I have been on both sides of the "explaining the rationale" question. You're
absolutely right that systems generally don't explain themselves, and you're
also absolutely right about the reason. I would however add to this that I
have no problem explaining the reasons for a decision, no matter how unpopular,
***IF*** I know those above me are going to back me up. With transit systems,
they generally know exactly the opposite - that if there is political fallout
they most assuredly WON'T be backed up, with the resulting egg-on-face,
backtracking, extra effort, loss of credibility, etc.

Hmmmm...yet another argument for removing the political control under which
American systems suffer.

As for Omnitrans, I hope you're right that Herc's statement was simply
embellishment. And I know nothing about Omnitrans - that's why I demurred in
my original post. So I do not want to accuse them when I really don't know the
facts. But American transit systems in general are not above this kind of
thing.

To give you a (not completely, but close enough) analogous example, a few years
back one of my client systems decided to interline two bus routes. The two
routes operated on either side of the point where they connected - in effect,
the interline made for a longer straight line, rather than some sort of
Y-shaped or branching situation. This particular system, however, decided
(against my recommendation) to continue referring to the two routes as being
separate and having separate names. The PRIVATELY stated reason was so that
they could continue charging a transfer fee for those using both routes, even
though it would now be one continuous bus ride. I realize that this is
something like a zone fare situation but I assure you that wasn't the
justification - it was greed pure and simple. (BTW, the person who made the
decision not only later ran afoul of local politics but also did some ethically
at-best-very-questionable stuff involving personal use of public funds and
escaped prosecution but is no longer in the transit field.)

Colin R. Leech

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Herc Wad (her...@aol.com) writes:
> San Diego Transit 20 (Downtown San Diego-North County Fair Express)-Over 2
> hours, and this is mostly on a freeway!

Um, I'd quibble over this. Some of it is on freeway, but mostly it takes the
local roads from Kearny Mesa to North County Fair (Escondido), so I'd say
that over half the route is non-freeway, which would seriously slow it down.

> San Diego Transit 34 (Downtown San Diego-La Jolla)-2 hours.

Round trip? I'd have trouble picturing this as 2 hours one way, unless
traffic in La Jolla is *really* gridlocked.

--
#### |\^/| Colin R. Leech ag414 or crl...@freenet.carleton.ca
#### _|\| |/|_ Civil engineer by training, transport planner by choice.

apo...@step.mother.com

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Peter Rosa (pro...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

:
: Sacramento is hardly unusual in that regard; it sometimes seems like every

: U.S. airport with a paved runway (though that's probably negotiable) calls
: itself "International."

No kidding. San Bernardino, CA has an "international" airport, but one
would be hard-pressed to find ANY flight into or out of it. There are no
general aviation, no domestic flights, and certainly no international or
intergalactic flights. All it is is a strip of asphault in the desert.
It seems that when the Air Force was done with Norton Air Force Base, they
gave it (or sold it, I'm not sure which) to the city with the plan of it
becoming a major airport.

The catch, however, is that there already is a fully functional, albeit
slightly crowded, airport only 30 miles to the west in Ontario. Therefore
the airlines see no need to service San Bernardino, and it appears
unlikely to become active anytime soon.

Herc Wad

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

David Allen WHite wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:02:31 -0500 (CDT), James D.
>Umbach wrote:

>>Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
>>Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
>>airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
>>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
>>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
>>airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
>>Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
>>believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.

>They should have done the same thing with the

>airport in my home town of Louisville, Ky. It
>has been known all these years as Standiford
>Field, but in the last few years it has been
>renamed "Louisville International Airport" only
>because two of the airlines that come in are
>partly owned by foreign airlines. It has no
>international flights. Don't airport authorities
>know how ridiculous they sound when they use
>names that don't represent reality. Sort of like
>the old Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railroad.

Reminds me of this stand up comedian who said a joke about how Spokane
(Wa.) International Airport was named. It didn't have any international
flights, it's just that they got the inspiration from the International
House of Pancakes.

***
SoCalTIP, Southern California's Comprehensive Transportation Information Page:
<http://socaltip.lerctr.org> (Back online after technical boo-boos.)
***

Patrick Scheible

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

James D. Umbach (apo...@mail.mother.com) wrote:

: Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
: Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
: airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
: International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
: there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
: airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
: Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
: believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.

If there's no customs, how do they screen the passengers on the one
flight a week from Moose Jaw?

-- Patrick

Neal

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

How long does the bus route have to be to be considered LONG?????
:) NEAL

Neal

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

MBTA bus route 468 that goes from Danvers State Hospital to Downtown
Boston is long.

:) Neal

Robert Coté

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

In article <334E8B...@worldnet.att.net>, Neal
<theb...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> How long does the bus route have to be to be considered LONG?????
> :) NEAL

Bikini long, Neal. That is sufficient to cover the required territories
but not so all covering as to deter potential er... participation?

Merritt Mullen

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Peter Saint James wrote:

> >>Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
> >>Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
> >>airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
> >>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
> >>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
> >>airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
> >>Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
> >>believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.
>
> Maybe they can get the space shuttle to land there once to live up
> to the name.

I don't think the space shuttle qualifies as "InterGalactic" either (not
even Inter-Planetary). Come to think of it, since it takes off and
lands in the US, it's not even international!

David Grant

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

James Bow <jb...@mks.com> wrote in article <334B92...@mks.com>...

> A question I have to ask in all of this is, how do the transit agencies
> running all of these long routes handle delays to service? Do they have
> trouble with buses bunching up in heavy traffic? How reliable is the
> service?

Depends on the route, James, and bear in mind that all these things can happen
on short routes as well. Close headways also make for more bunching (I'm
certainly not arguing against close headways where they're appropriate - just
pointing this out).

In cases where this is severe, route-splitting should be considered. I did a
couple of successful route splits for just these reasons while I ran scheduling
for New Orleans.

cdd...@aol.com

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

In article <gallant.1...@news.utk.edu>, gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) writes:

>>One of these days I want to try going all the way from West Palm Beach to
>>Miami by local bus: PalmTran #1 to Boca Raton, then Broward County
>>Transit #10 to Fort Lauderdale, then BCT #1 to Aventura Mall in northern
>>Dade County, then Metro-Dade route S (I think) to Miami via Miami Beach. It
>
>>would probably ruin my spine, though. :-)
>>

>Well, I've ridden all of those routes but not continuously. It surely can
>be done. It would really be neat if you had the ambition of riding all the
>way from TEQUESTA (just north of JUPITER) down to HOMESTEAD, Florida by
>transit buses. If you need that routing, let me know. It can be done-
>though, I'd recommend starting in TEQUESTA and working your way down,
>because PALM TRAN's ROUTE 10 or 11 only runs till about 6:00 pm.

This reminds me how in interurban railroad days one could ride huge distances by going from one line on the system (or even several systems) enormous distances, without using traditional intercity
rail. In Utah, one could ride interurbans from Preston, Idaho all the way to Payson, Utah, about 150 miles or more, with 3 changes of lines (Utah Idaho Central>Bamberger>Salt Lake & Utah), until the
late 1940's. I am well aware of lines much more amazing than that, of course, and many of them promoted such tours by "trolley."

Closest one can come in Utah nowadays is bus from Ogden down to Provo by 2 routes, about 75 miles. :-(

Herc Wad

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

Colin Leech wrote:

>Round trip? I'd have trouble picturing this as 2 hours one way, unless
>traffic in La Jolla is *really* gridlocked.

It is 2 hours each way. Remember, the 34 has to go up the coast.

The 20 route bounces off and on freeways, whcih makes it so long. Kind of
like the Foothill Transit 480. Provides local service bewteen Montclair
and Pomona, then bounces on and off freeways up until El Monte, where it
takes the Busway to Downtown L.A.

David A. Kaye

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

Did anybody mention the SamTrans 5M, going from downtown San Francisco to
Stanford? That's probably 40 miles. I seem to remember it taking 2 1/2
hours to go the full route.

--
Copyright 1997 United Air Lines was formed by Bill Boeing (Boeing
David Kaye Aircraft) to use the aircraft he designed.

James D. Umbach

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

k...@itchy.serv.net (Patrick Scheible) wrote:

YOU>If there's no customs, how do they screen the passengers on the
one
YOU>flight a week from Moose Jaw?

Interesting question. Perhaps they check the luggage before boarding.
Mike Ward, can you help here?

JAMES D. UMBACH of CITRUS HEIGHTS, CALIFORNIA
THE LARGEST GENERAL LAW CITY (pop. wise) IN SACRAMENTO COUNTY!
e-mail : apo...@visionnet.net web : http://www.mother.com/~apostle

Cool Site of the Fortnight (11-24APR97):
http://www.nando.net/SportServer/scoreboard.html

Nelson S. Benzing

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

In article <5ih8ov$7tm$3...@your.mother.com>, apo...@mail.mother.com wrote:

> Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
> Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
> airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
> International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
> there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
> airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
> Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
> believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.

That's really cool, now that every burg from Prickly Heat NM to Lizard
Lick NC seems to have and *International Airport*. It must take one one
freight flight a week (via several other cities) to get this stupid
designation.

Nelson

> JAMES D. UMBACH of CITRUS HEIGHTS, CALIFORNIA
> THE LARGEST GENERAL LAW CITY (pop. wise) IN SACRAMENTO COUNTY!

> e-mail : apo...@visionnet.net web : http://www.mother.com/~apostle

> Cool Site of the Fortnight (29MAR97-11APR97):
> http://groundhog.sprl.umich.edu/

Nelson S. Benzing

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

In article <1.5.4.16.1997041...@popd.ix.netcom.com>, Peter
Saint James <pete...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> >>Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
> >>Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
> >>airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
> >>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
> >>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
> >>airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
> >>Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
> >>believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.
>

> Maybe they can get the space shuttle to land there once to live up
> to the name.

Mercury isn't all that far south in San Jose.

Nelson

Nelson S. Benzing

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

In article <19970411194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
her...@aol.com (Herc Wad) wrote:

> David Allen WHite wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:02:31 -0500 (CDT), James D.

> >Umbach wrote:
>
> >>Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
> >>Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
> >>airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
> >>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
> >>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
> >>airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
> >>Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
> >>believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.
>

> >They should have done the same thing with the
> >airport in my home town of Louisville, Ky. It
> >has been known all these years as Standiford
> >Field, but in the last few years it has been
> >renamed "Louisville International Airport" only
> >because two of the airlines that come in are
> >partly owned by foreign airlines. It has no
> >international flights. Don't airport authorities
> >know how ridiculous they sound when they use
> >names that don't represent reality. Sort of like
> >the old Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railroad.
>
> Reminds me of this stand up comedian who said a joke about how Spokane
> (Wa.) International Airport was named. It didn't have any international
> flights, it's just that they got the inspiration from the International
> House of Pancakes.

The raises possibilites for Burbank. How about International Male?

Nelson

Nelson S. Benzing

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

In article <5imav5$aal$1...@brockman.serv.net>, k...@serv.net wrote:

> James D. Umbach (apo...@mail.mother.com) wrote:
>
> : Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
> : Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
> : airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
> : International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
> : there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign
> : airlines, and only one flight a week to another country (Moose Jaw,
> : Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it "Intergalactic." I
> : believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.
>

> If there's no customs, how do they screen the passengers on the one

> flight a week from Moose Jaw?

I don't think we wanna know!

Nelson

Dik T. Winter

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

In article <5ir7vt$6jr$3...@nnrp1.crl.com> d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) writes:
> Did anybody mention the SamTrans 5M, going from downtown San Francisco to
> Stanford? That's probably 40 miles. I seem to remember it taking 2 1/2
> hours to go the full route.

A bit off-topic. As I understand the term "local bus route" this would
mean a bus route that stops at every stop on the way, as contrasted to
"express bus route". (But apparently even freeways are allowed on those
"local bus routes".) In the Netherlands we have had the bus route from
Alkmaar to Leeuwarden (take a map, it is along the dyke between the
former Zuiderzee, now IJsselmeer and the Northsea). The length is
approximately 120 km (~75 miles). It was introduced around 1935 (with
the laying of the dyke). Only some ten years ago it was upgraded to an
express-only service.

Still we have of course Midnet 50 from Utrecht to Arnhem, 68 km (~ 43 miles),
no Freeway involved, about 2 hours full route, completely local. On
occasion I use it for about 7 km (~ 4 miles) halfway the route to get from
a train station to where my mother lives.

Mike Ward

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 20:50:04 GMT, apo...@mail.mother.com (James D.
Umbach) wrote:

>k...@itchy.serv.net (Patrick Scheible) wrote:
>
>YOU>If there's no customs, how do they screen the passengers on the
>one

>YOU>flight a week from Moose Jaw?
>
>Interesting question. Perhaps they check the luggage before boarding.
>Mike Ward, can you help here?

Simple enough - unless I missed it, there is no flight to Moose Jaw or
anywhere else in Canada from Sac International. :)

As mentioned, SMF has no customs and as such, can't have any
international flights, despite its name. I know there was talk about
a Mexican airline eventually adding a flight or two here, but I don't
think it's even in the direct planning stages yet...

Mike

>JAMES D. UMBACH of CITRUS HEIGHTS, CALIFORNIA
> THE LARGEST GENERAL LAW CITY (pop. wise) IN SACRAMENTO COUNTY!
>e-mail : apo...@visionnet.net web : http://www.mother.com/~apostle

>Cool Site of the Fortnight (11-24APR97):
>http://www.nando.net/SportServer/scoreboard.html

Brian Boyes

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

Patrick Scheible <k...@itchy.serv.net> wrote in article
<5imav5$aal$1...@brockman.serv.net>...

> James D. Umbach (apo...@mail.mother.com) wrote:
>
> : Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year
when the
> : Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of
the city's
> : airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
> : International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer,
because
> : there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no
foreign
> : airlines, and only one flight a week to another country
(Moose Jaw,
> : Canada.) So we make fun of it by calling it
"Intergalactic." I
> : believe the local columnist Steve Wiegand began this joke.
>

> If there's no customs, how do they screen the passengers on
the one

> flight a week from Moose Jaw?
>

> -- Patrick

Is this a joke, or are you serious about the weekly flight to
Moose Jaw. If your serious, it must be a military flight to the
Canadian Forces training base at Moose Jaw. The other airport
can't handle anything bigger than a two engine Cessna.

Gallant

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

In Article <techscan-ya0240800...@news.west.net>,

tech...@west.nyet (Robert Cot) wrote:
>In article <334E8B...@worldnet.att.net>, Neal
><theb...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> How long does the bus route have to be to be considered LONG?????
>> :) NEAL

The idea of this thread was to find out some lengthy local bus routes around
the United States without my having to flip through all of my 200+ transit
maps and corresponding bus schedules. My definition of a long route would
be those one-way trips lasting 2 or more hours- as well as considering the
mileage of the route. PALM TRAN's route #1 is phenomenol. I've never seen
rode any route like it. It is ENTIRELY local (i.e.- no portions of the
route on freeway or running express on certain segments). I know of many
long express routes that run forever- like FOOTHILL TRANSIT's route 480

But my assumption that route #1 (full 3 hours long ONE WAY!!!) as being the
longest route in the United States is wrong. The longest (travel time, not
sure about mileage)I've discovered from a recent phone call is Oahu
Transit's loop routes around the entire island of Oahu. Four hours long!

Major correction to PALM TRAN's route #1: it's 47 miles long- not 43. Sorry
for the error.

MIKE GALLANT
gal...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu

James D. Umbach

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

"Brian Boyes" <Brian...@City.Saskatoon.SK.CA> wrote:

YOU>Is this a joke, or are you serious about the weekly flight to
YOU>Moose Jaw. If your serious, it must be a military flight to the
YOU>Canadian Forces training base at Moose Jaw. The other airport
YOU>can't handle anything bigger than a two engine Cessna.

As far as I know, there IS a flight from SMF->Moose Jaw, but my
Sacramento Int'l Airport schedule book doesn't list it. Maybe it is
not a public flight.

Gallant

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

In Article <334B92...@mks.com>, James Bow <jb...@mks.com> wrote:
>David W. Barts wrote:
>>
>> gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) writes:
>>
>> > [edited]
>> >One observation I must comment on is the length of PALM TRAN's (formerly
>> >CO-TRAN) route #1 via U.S. 1 (Federal Hwy/Dixie Hwy). Since the
>> >reconstructuring, PALM TRAN has created a SINGLE route from Jupiter all the
>> >way down to Boca Raton (up to last week- Deerfield Beach in Broward County).
>> >This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
>> >According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
>> >deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
>> >Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow! The full route takes 3 hours to
>> >complete (minus five minutes). Sidenote: this new route basically replaced
>> >3 old CO-TRAN routes (1T, 1C, and 1S).
>>
>> Wow! 43 miles!

>A question I have to ask in all of this is, how do the transit agencies
>running all of these long routes handle delays to service? Do they have
>trouble with buses bunching up in heavy traffic? How reliable is the
>service? What is the frequency of this bus route in particular?

ROUTE 1 in Palm Beach County runs 30 minute headways between BOCA RATON and
GARDENS MALL (Palm Beach Gardens). Then continuing service to JUPITER is
every 60 minutes (or every other bus). The fare is only $1.00. Considering
I rode this particular bus route only four times, I'm not too aware of buses
"bunching up". In fact, with 30 minute headways, this is very difficult to
do unless there is a very very lengthy delay of say, about 30 minutes. The
problem I experienced two times I rode is buses breaking down.
Unfortunately, PALM TRAN has to use some of their mid-1980s Grumman Flxibles
that are not in the best condition, mechanically. They recently purchased
some old equipment from COTA (Central Ohio Trans. Authority- Columbus, OH)-
more Flxibles (I think 1989 or so) but these buses are still in nice
condition. (Sidenote: I particurly liked the old COTA buses because they
had nice cushioned seats.) PALM TRAN also has some recently purchased
Gilligs in both 30 foot and 40 foot sizes. And of course, there are many 30
foot Flxible Metros on the streets as well. The sad thing is that PALM TRAN
recently purchased some ugly 25 (??) foot Chance minibuses for short runs
(and some long runs too!). Sorry for digressing....

Reliability? I think PALM TRAN is doing a wonderful job, from what I saw.
I had a chance to speak to the fleet manager and the assnt gen. manager who
spoke about working on public image of transit in Palm Beach County.

By the way, to everyone concerned, my surveys are finally redrafted and will
be sent out to everyone (along with the timetable for PALM TRAN's route #1)
who requested info in a couple days. Thanks for your patience....

MIKE GALLANT
gal...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu

John Kolassa

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

In article <3351cd1b...@nnrp.crl.com> mw...@crl.com (Mike Ward) writes:
>As mentioned, SMF has no customs and as such, can't have any
>international flights, despite its name. I know there was talk about
>a Mexican airline eventually adding a flight or two here, but I don't
>think it's even in the direct planning stages yet...

US customs and immigration is handled in Canadian airports for many people
flying to the US from Canada. Hence Rochester, NY had flights from Toronto
with no immigration or customs officers at the airport.

John Hascall

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

Merritt Mullen <mmu...@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:

}Peter Saint James wrote:
}> >>Sacramento "InterGalactic" airport got its name last year when the
}> >>Sacramento Bored Supervisors decided to change the name of the city's
}> >>airport from "Sacramento Metropolitian Field" to "Sacramento
}> >>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
}> >>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign...

}> Maybe they can get the space shuttle to land there once to live up
}> to the name.

}I don't think the space shuttle qualifies as "InterGalactic" either (not

}even Inter-Planetary). Come to think of it, since it takes off and
}lands in the US, it's not even international!

Well, does `landing' at "Mir" count?

John

Lawrence H Greenwald

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

In article <5ikmhg$9...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>,

ag...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Colin R. Leech) wrote:

>Herc Wad (her...@aol.com) writes:
>> San Diego Transit 20 (Downtown San Diego-North County Fair Express)-Over 2
>> hours, and this is mostly on a freeway!
>
>Um, I'd quibble over this. Some of it is on freeway, but mostly it takes the
>local roads from Kearny Mesa to North County Fair (Escondido), so I'd say
>that over half the route is non-freeway, which would seriously slow it down.
>
>> San Diego Transit 34 (Downtown San Diego-La Jolla)-2 hours.
>

>Round trip? I'd have trouble picturing this as 2 hours one way, unless
>traffic in La Jolla is *really* gridlocked.

Colin, you don't know how bad it is at rush hour. The major intersection
at La Jolla Shores Rd and Ardath Rd is controlled by a light that is
DELIBERATELY set to a long cycle time. It backs up traffic along Torrey
Pines Rd (both sides) and along Ardath Rd (the major feeder from the I-5
exit). The way in (and out) is maddeningly slow...and...THE LOCALS WANT IT
THAT WAY. They have more than once howled protests at any attempts by the
San Diego City Council and/or CalTrans to make access easier.

And make sure you have plenty of patience if, heaven help you, an accident
blocks the way!!

--LG

--
Lawrence H. Greenwald (lgree...@powergrid.electriciti.com>
"I'm looking over a three leaf clover that I overlooked be-three!" --Bugs Bunny

Fred B. Young Jr.

dmal...@primenet.com

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

On Mon, 7 Apr 97 15:03:39 GMT, gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) wrote:

>----------8<---snipped--8<-----I

>This must be the longest local bus route in the entire United States by far!
>According to a PALM TRAN official who I spoke to, the route (including
>deviations to Gardens Mall and circuitous routing in downtown West Palm
>Beach) is just over 43 miles. Wow!

i think OCTA orange co tranist auth. so calif route 1 from long
beach's traffic circles and xemino[sp?] streets to northern edge of
camp Pendenington south of san clememte calif is 60 + miles

>Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
>routes? Here are a few of my guesses:
>
> -22 (or 20?)-BIG SUR/MONTEREY Monterey-Salinas Transit
> -ORANGE ROUTE (LANCASTER/PALMDALE) Anetlope Valley Transit Authority
> -22 SAN JOSE (via Camino Real, I think) Santa Clara County Transit
> -266 ROSEMEAD BLVD Los Angeles MTA
> -BCH1 JAX BCH/DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE- Jacksonville Transp. Authority
> -40 BELLE GLADE/WEST PALM BEACH Palm Tran
> -72 HEMPSTEAD/BABYLON Long Island Bus

>MIKE GALLANT
>gal...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu

Access Systems

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Fred B. Young Jr. wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:58:12 -0500 (CDT)

> > }> >>International Airport." Int'l is somewhat of a misnomer, because
> > }> >>there are no customs, no international terminal (yet!), no foreign...
> >
> > }> Maybe they can get the space shuttle to land there once to live up
> > }> to the name.
> >
> > }I don't think the space shuttle qualifies as "InterGalactic" either (not
> > }even Inter-Planetary). Come to think of it, since it takes off and
> > }lands in the US, it's not even international!
> >
> > Well, does `landing' at "Mir" count?
>

> Seems to me that "Mir" would be considered Russian territory...

well since MIR is not capable of landing anywhere it would land as a
metorite.....but if you are right did the shuttle astronaut who is
visiting MIR need a visa?

Bob

Fred B. Young Jr.

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

Access Systems wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Fred B. Young Jr. wrote:

> > Seems to me that "Mir" would be considered Russian territory...
> >

> well since MIR is not capable of landing anywhere it would land as a
> metorite.....but if you are right did the shuttle astronaut who is
> visiting MIR need a visa?

Probably so--I've heard they don't accept American Express on Mir. :D

James Bow

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

dmal...@primenet.com wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 97 15:03:39 GMT, gal...@utk.edu (Gallant) wrote:
>
> >Just curious, what other transit systems out there have very long local bus
> >routes? Here are a few of my guesses:

I don't know, quite, how Toronto compares to the rest of the world, but
I'm told that the 501 Queen route represents, quite possibly, the
longest streetcar route in North America, particularly now that it has
been combined with the 507 Long Branch route to provide through service
from Long Branch loop on the western boundary of Metropolitan Toronto,
all the way to Neville Loop near Victoria Park Avenue, near the boundary
with Scarborough. How long is that? Around 20 km? More than that? A one
way trip from Long Branch to Neville is at least 90 minutes.

The longest bus route in Toronto probably has a number of
contenders, particularly in the suburbs with Sheppard East (from
Sheppard Station to Rouge Hill GO Station, now) and Finch West, but
another long, and fascinating route, was the old Yonge 97B bus, which
paralleled the Yonge Subway, and ran from Steeles Avenue to Front
Street. I rode the length of that route from Steeles down, and it took a
whole hour to complete. It certainly gives you an excellent tour of the
very diverse neighbourhoods and downtown cores of Toronto.

Best,
James

--
James Bow - MIS Department || // // ,' /~~~\' Mortice Kern Systems
e-mail jb...@mks.com /||/// //\\ `\\\ Waterloo, Ontario
or the...@golden.net________/ | //_// \\|\___/ Canada
or visit my web-site at http://www.u36.com/james/file.htm

jsingl...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2017, 3:27:56 PM7/16/17
Is I text...Im returning from Key West Fl and am on Miami/Dade route 301..Marathon Fl to Florida City...not sure the distance. But is scheduled for 2 hours 10 min

houn...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 16, 2017, 6:47:22 PM7/16/17
On 16.07.17 20:27, jsingl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is I text...Im returning from Key West Fl and am on Miami/Dade route 301..Marathon Fl to Florida City...not sure the distance. But is scheduled for 2 hours 10 min

There's the Crimean Trolleybus, which runs about 100 kilometres between
Simferopol and Yalta, via Alushta.

I remember that there were also local busses that ran between White
Plains and Brewster as well as between White Plains and Suffern.