100 air miles equals 115 road miles, or more

tscottme

Dec 9, 2007, 6:04:15 AM12/9/07
Believe it or not, the 100 air mile log book exemption actually is a 115
mile exmption.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/hos-faqs.asp

C-2 What is an "air mile"?
The term "air-mile" is internationally defined as a "nautical mile" which is
equivalent to 6,076 feet. Thus, the 100 air-miles are equivalent to 115.08
statute miles, and 150 air-miles are equivalent to 172.6 statute miles.

Most of you drivers are OTR drivers and do not operate under the 100 air
mile log book exemption. Also, this air mile log book exemption doesn't
measure how many miles it takes to drive from A to B, it only measures the
straight-line distance, or as the crow flies", from A to B.

Here's an extreme example to make the point: imagine a truck terminal, point
A, on one bank of a river and a customer warehouse, point B, on the other
bank of the river. Point A and B are less than one mile from each other, if
your truck could fly or swim across the river. However, to drive from A to
B requires you to drive 75 miles south, along the river, to reach a bridge
across the river, and 75 miles north, along the river, to reach the customer
warehouse. Assuming your company operatio meets all the other requirements
for the log book exemption, does this trip qualify under the 100 air mile
exemption? The answer is yes. It only matters what the straight-line
distance is from A to B, not the lenght of the route you drive from A to B.

BTW, there are still many drivers that think once you cross a state's
border, that is to say become interstate, you cannot use the 100 air mile
exemption. That's not true, that rule went away quite a few years ago.

Here are the requirements for using the 100 air mile log book exemption:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/espanol/english/Part395_index.htm

100 air-mile radius exemption:

A driver is exempt from maintaining the driver's daily log requirements of
Section 395.8 if all of the following are true:

a.. The driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius of the normal work
reporting location.

b.. The driver returns to the work reporting location and is released from
work within 12 consecutive hours.

c.. Each 12 hours on duty are separated by at least:

a.. 10 consecutive hours off duty for property-carrying drivers, or

b.. 8 consecutive hours off duty for passenger-carrying drivers.

d.. The driver does not exceed a maximum of:

a.. 11 hours driving time following 10 consecutive hours off duty for
property-carrying drivers, or

b.. 10 hours driving time following 8 consecutive hours off duty for
passenger-carrying drivers.

e.. The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a
period of six months accurate and true time records that show:

a.. The time the driver reports for duty each day;

b.. The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day;

c.. The time the driver is released from duty each day; and

d.. The total time for the preceding 7 days for first-time or
intermittent drivers.

--

Scott

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks
them."
Eric Hoffer

richard

Dec 9, 2007, 9:50:50 AM12/9/07

Actually, "air miles" is defined as how far it is from point A to point
B in the shortest possible straight line.
Using a map, stick one end of a compass at your home location. Measure a
circle for 100 miles. 5,280 ft per mile.
That is where you can legally operate in with no log book.
The kicker is, you MUST return to your terminal every day within 12
hours of starting the day.
So if it takes you 8 hours to get to your customer, 8 hours back to your
terminal, no, you can not use the air mile rule. You must log it.
You can legally drive anywhere in that circle regardless of miles driven
as long as you return to the terminal in 12 hours.

Example: Your home terminal is in Gary In.
To which one of these cities can you make a legal trip?
1: Beloit, Wi.
2: Rockford, Il.
3: Indianapolis, In.
4: Toledo, Oh.

Correct answer is Rockford, Il.
Although you could drive to each one within 6 hours and return to your
terminal before the 12 hours is up, you would need a log book for the
other 3. Simply for the fact that they are outside of your circle.

CCBlack

Dec 9, 2007, 10:42:13 AM12/9/07
> richard wrote:
> Actually, "air miles" is defined as how far it is from point A to point
> B in the shortest possible straight line.
> Using a map, stick one end of a compass at your home location. Measure a
> circle for 100 miles. 5,280 ft per mile.

Are you dense or something ? As Scott pointed out, The FMCSA in the
Federal regulations defines an air mile as --- a "nautical mile" which
is equivalent to 6,076 feet. Thus, 100 air-miles are equivalent to
115.08 statute miles.

Must have been an ex truck driver working for the Feds that snuck that
rule in. Who else could be so sneaky ?

Chris

richard

Dec 9, 2007, 11:32:26 AM12/9/07

Then why don't just say nautical miles?

realitytrucker

Dec 9, 2007, 11:53:53 AM12/9/07
> Then why don't just say nautical miles?- Hide quoted text -

It's the federal government. They're paid to make things more
complicated.

CCBlack

Dec 9, 2007, 1:07:19 PM12/9/07
> realitytrucker wrote:
> It's the federal government. They're paid to make things more
> complicated.

Loopholes in government are funny sometimes. For example the Apollo
astronauts put in for per diem pay for their trips to the moon. Here
is a quote from Charlie Duke, Apollo 16 LMP.

" I was a lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force. And I got
paid what every other lieutenant colonel got paid. It wasn't a big
salary but it was adequate. So, we didn't get a million bucks for
going to the moon, though the trip to the moon is a little extra pay
in military terminology. A trip to the moon is temporary duty. And so
they pay you per diem when you're on temporary duty. And so we had $25
a day per diem, we were gone for eleven days, at $275. However,
government quarters and meals were furnished so they deducted that
part. I tried to get them to pay me a nickel a mile for travel. They
said government transportation was furnished also. "

Tee he

Chris

Message has been deleted

limo...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2014, 7:03:27 PM10/15/14
Is there somewhere I can get an exact figure for this. Here is my real world need....I am going from 15146 Cicero Ave Oak Forest, IL to 2581 KErcher, Goshen, IN. On Google Maps, it is 113 miles, so I "think" its within the 100 air miles. But I have rotten luck, and would get a mean cop. Id like to be bale to print something out that shows that Im OK.

montys...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2016, 9:04:16 PM7/5/16
Crossing state lines voids the 100 air mile rule

msche...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2016, 2:20:39 PM9/14/16
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 8:04:16 PM UTC-5, montys...@gmail.com wrote:
> Crossing state lines voids the 100 air mile rule

Crossing state lines, as long as the driver is still within 100 air-miles, is allowed under the short haul exception since this is an interstate rule.