Closest towns that share the same name (but are not adjoining)?

Jesse Whidden

Mar 18, 2004, 12:58:59 AM3/18/04
This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...

"Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
that lie directly on borders)"

Good luck, everyone!
--
Jesse Whidden - University of Nebraska student
Nebraska Roads: http://www.nebraskaroads.com/

Remove CHEESE to reply...

Jerry Springer

Mar 18, 2004, 1:06:02 AM3/18/04
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:58:59 -0600, Jesse Whidden
<jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> said:

>"Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
>state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
>that lie directly on borders)"

Cincinnati has two suburbs called Woodlawn: one in Ohio and one in
Kentucky.

Isn't there a town in Mississippi called Memphis that's only about 20
miles from Memphis, TN?

Michael G. Koerner

Mar 18, 2004, 2:27:13 AM3/18/04
Jesse Whidden wrote:

> This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
> any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
> "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
> state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
> that lie directly on borders)"
>
> Good luck, everyone!

One close pair that I can think of is Richmond, IL (on US 12 by the
Wisconsin state line) and Richmond, WI (on WI 89 between Whitewater and Delevan).

Special case, Lake County, Illinois and Lake County, Indiana both share
a border with Cook County, Illinois.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Jeff Carlyle

Mar 18, 2004, 4:36:01 AM3/18/04
Jesse Whidden <jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> wrote:
> This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
> any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
> "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
> state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
> that lie directly on borders)"
>
> Good luck, everyone!

Jamestown, KY and Jamestown, TN are about 49 miles apart on US 127.

--
// Jeffrey Carlyle - jef...@carlyle.org - http://www.jeffc.org/

Jeff Carlyle

Mar 18, 2004, 4:40:08 AM3/18/04
Michael G. Koerner <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:
> Jesse Whidden wrote:
>>
>> This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
>> any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>>
>> "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
>> state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City,
>> KS that lie directly on borders)"
>>
>> Good luck, everyone!
>
> One close pair that I can think of is Richmond, IL (on US 12 by the
> Wisconsin state line) and Richmond, WI (on WI 89 between Whitewater
> and Delevan).
>
> Special case, Lake County, Illinois and Lake County, Indiana both
> share
> a border with Cook County, Illinois.

Also Mt. Vernon, IL and Mt. Vernon, IN are somewhat close together at around
70 miles. They fit together, in my mind at least, because they are both
roughly between Evansville and St. Louis.

Steve

Mar 18, 2004, 4:48:02 AM3/18/04
Jesse Whidden wrote:

> This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
> any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
> "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
> state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
> that lie directly on borders)"
>
> Good luck, everyone!

Why not the same state? There are cases like Franklin, NJ to be considered.
--
Steve
GO YANKEES!... Knicks? Not Rangers until they FIRE SATHER!

usene...@lycos.com

Mar 18, 2004, 8:35:36 AM3/18/04
O'Fallon, MO and O'Fallon, IL are both part of metro Saint Louis,
probably 40 miles apart.

usene...@lycos.com

Mar 18, 2004, 8:37:43 AM3/18/04
O'Fallon, MO and O'Fallon, IL are both part of metro Saint Louis,
probably 40 miles apart.

LOU www.mcroads.com

Mar 18, 2004, 9:32:21 AM3/18/04
Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA at the state line.

Although not the same name, Northampton County, NC and Southampton
County, VA border each other at state lines. Makes no sense because
Virginia is north, North Carolina is south. Theres also Northampton
County, VA but thats the southern Delmarva. Once again, that does not
make sense, why not have it replace Accomac County?

Wake Forest, NC (north of Raleigh) and Wake Forest University in
Winston-Salem

Washington, NJ (Mercer County) and Washington, NJ (Hunterdon County)

Belmar, NJ (Monmouth County) and Belmawr, NJ (Camden County)

Milltown, NJ (Middlesex County) and Milltown, NJ (Sussex County i
believe)

Whats also interesting is that Southern Pines, NC (my hometown) around
1887 was originally named Vineland but the post office refused that
name because of confusion with Vineland, NJ. Southern Pines i swear is
always connected to northerners in some way, even roads (US 1 runs
through there too)! Check out mapquest and see its street names. If
thats not enough, the train tracks in town (dont know the name of the
tracks) takes you into DC via Penn Station Newark and/or New York.
Southern Pines is known for many horse country farms and its laid
back, quality of life with pine trees making it seem like its always
summer. Still not convinced that northerners influenced the area? Down
on Morganton road (can be reached off US 1) leaving South Pines, you
can reach Pinehurst, home of many many many many golf courses. It was
founded a few years later in 1895 by James Tufts. Many hotels and
small shops make the village of Pinehurst. theres also another
Pinehurst in western NC near Asheville.

Lou | www.middlesexnjroads.com/stillnotopen.html

H.B. Elkins

Mar 18, 2004, 9:43:43 AM3/18/04
Jesse Whidden <jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> wrote:

>This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
>any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
>"Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
>state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
>that lie directly on borders)"

Do you speak of incorporated towns, or assorted burgs, villages and
wide spots in the road?

Dayton, Ohio and Dayton, Ky., come to mind. So do Jamestown, Ky. and
Jamestown, Tenn. (In fact, I have a photo of a sign on US 127 that has
both cities listed on it.)

Franklin, Ky. and Franklin, Tenn., are also not too far apart.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Mara

Mar 18, 2004, 10:10:20 AM3/18/04

"Jesse Whidden" <jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> wrote in message

> This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
> any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
> "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
> state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
> that lie directly on borders)"

Canaan CT and Canaan NY are about 30 miles apart.

John Mara

Stanley Cline

Mar 18, 2004, 11:12:10 AM3/18/04
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:58:59 -0600, Jesse Whidden
<jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> wrote:

>This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
>any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
>"Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
>state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS

Calhoun, GA/TN and Jasper, GA/TN (each about 75 miles from one
another) are both fairly close to Chattanooga -- and there's both a
Decatur (TN and GA) and a DeKalb County (AL and GA) in the greater
Chattanooga and Atlanta areas, which often leads me to ask "which
one?" when one is mentioned without any context. :)

Then there's the wacky situation with the Buckhead community of
Atlanta (which is signed as a control city on GA 400) and Buckhead, GA
(which is listed as a destination of an exit on I-20) that are about
60 miles apart. I have heard that this gives grief to the Postal
Service (mail addressed to "Buckhead, GA" that really should go to
"Atlanta, GA 30305"...)

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

Justin Priola

Mar 18, 2004, 11:49:55 AM3/18/04
Jesse Whidden <jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> wrote in message news:<9eei505utvp56cq6g...@4ax.com>...
> This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
> any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
> "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
> state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
> that lie directly on borders)"
>
> Good luck, everyone!

O'Fallon, MO and O'Fallon, IL are on opposite sides of the St. Louis
metro area, but still pretty proximate, as you are likely to see both
towns on a St. Louis metropolitan map. The first time I looked at the
'03 RMcN St. Louis inset and saw two "O'Fallons" on the map, I had to
do a double take.

Justin Priola

RLDean

Mar 18, 2004, 4:07:40 PM3/18/04
>From: Jesse Whidden jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu
>Date: 3/18/2004 12:58 AM Eastern

>"Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
>state (

Milford NJ is located about 60 miles southwest of Milford PA. Both are
boroughs.

Rich Dean

RLDean

Mar 18, 2004, 4:14:13 PM3/18/04
>From: Steve smal...@hackmit.edu

>Why not the same state? There are cases like Franklin, NJ to be considered.

Franklin Borough of Sussex County NJ is where the post office by that name is
located. There are townships in Gloucester, Hunterdon, Somerset and Warren
counties. And there is very affluent Franklin Lakes Borough in Bergen County.

Rich Dean

DA*MAN

Mar 18, 2004, 9:40:05 PM3/18/04
Add about 150 more miles and you have Jasper AL.
Add about 200 more miles and you have Decatur TN/GA/AL.
Henderson County NC---WNC, Henderson (City) NC---ENC
Calhoun, GA/TN and Jasper, GA/TN (each about 75 miles from one
another) are both fairly close to Chattanooga -- and there's both a
Decatur (TN and GA) and a DeKalb County (AL and GA) in the greater
Chattanooga and Atlanta areas, which often leads me to ask "which
one?" when one is mentioned without any context.  :)

Eric Opperman

Mar 18, 2004, 11:11:46 PM3/18/04
Jerry Springer wrote:

> Isn't there a town in Mississippi called Memphis that's only about 20
> miles from Memphis, TN?

Not anymore...it merged with Walls and is now called Walls.

MCT

Mar 18, 2004, 11:58:46 PM3/18/04
Salem, MA and Salem, NH are about 35 miles apart; both are close enough
to Boston to be considered within the Greater Boston area, and both are
large enough to be considered as communities of some size locally. To
Bostonians, the one in MA is just plain "Salem", and the one in NH is
always "Salem, New Hampshire".

When Quabbin Reservoir in western MA was created back in the 1930, four
towns were flooded out. One of those towns was called Enfield. It was
only 30 or 40 miles away from the still-existent town of Enfield, CT,
which is just over the border from MA.

Chris Lawrence

Mar 19, 2004, 1:16:51 AM3/19/04
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:11:46 -0600, Eric Opperman wrote:
[On the existence of "Memphis, Mississippi."]

> Not anymore...it merged with Walls and is now called Walls.

Well, the paperwork on that is currently held up, actually. And it
annexed (unincorprated) Walls, but agreed to change its name to Walls to
avoid a lawsuit by the Sacred Heart League, which didn't want to have to
change its address. (There was also a planned suit by Horn Lake over the
boundaries, but they annexed less land than originally planned.)

The latest, as of last week:
http://www.godesoto.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3662&mode=thread

Technically, since it adjoins Memphis, Tenn., I don't think it counts
under the thread rules anyway...

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <ch...@lordsutch.com> - http://blog.lordsutch.com/

Michael Moroney

Mar 19, 2004, 4:55:50 PM3/19/04
maggie...@webtv.net (MCT) writes:

>Salem, MA and Salem, NH are about 35 miles apart; both are close enough
>to Boston to be considered within the Greater Boston area, and both are
>large enough to be considered as communities of some size locally. To
>Bostonians, the one in MA is just plain "Salem", and the one in NH is
>always "Salem, New Hampshire".

There are quite a few pairs of towns with the same name in NH and Mass.
I suspect with some hunting, a closer pair may be found, but am
uncertain.

>When Quabbin Reservoir in western MA was created back in the 1930, four
>towns were flooded out. One of those towns was called Enfield. It was
>only 30 or 40 miles away from the still-existent town of Enfield, CT,
>which is just over the border from MA.

(aside: to tie the halves of this post together, one town that gained
land from the Quabbin Reservoir formation is New Salem, Mass.)

--
-Mike

pigsty1953

Mar 19, 2004, 5:19:35 PM3/19/04
rld...@aol.com (RLDean) wrote in message news:<20040318160740...@mb-m17.aol.com>...

There are about 6 or 8 Washington's in NJ. I believe Washington Boro
is in Warren County, there are Washington Twps in Bergen, Morris(now
Long Valley Twp. I believe), Mercer, and at least a few more in South
Jersey. There is a Union Twp in Union County and Union Twp in Hunter-
don County. Again there are probably more Union Twps in South Jersey.
There are two Red Banks, one in Monmouth County, one in Glocester.
There is Freehold Boro completely surrounded by Freehold Twp. There are
at least 2 Raritans and two Delaware Twps. There was a third Raritan
but it changed its name to Edison Twp.

There is a Vermillion County Indiana and Vermillion County Illinois,
seperated by the state line, and Escambia County FL and Escambia
County AL also seperated by the state line.

Bruce B. Reynolds

Mar 19, 2004, 8:12:25 PM3/19/04
In article <20040318160740...@mb-m17.aol.com>, rld...@aol.com
(RLDean) writes:

>Milford NJ is located about 60 miles southwest of Milford PA.

Almost due South.

Springfield (Delaware County) and Springfield (Montgomery County);
both incorportated townships in PA.
--
Bruce B. Reynolds, Trailing Edge Technologies, Glenside PA

Jesse Whidden

Mar 20, 2004, 2:01:31 AM3/20/04
Jesse Whidden <jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> wrote:

A friend of mine from UNL decided to answer this question in a much
more data-intensive manner (response pasted from the forum the
question originally appeared; created by Brian Kell).

"Bah. Looking through atlases or using experience is for sissies.
Massive inefficient data crunching is the real man's way.

Here's the entire list of city pairs in the United States, sorted by
proximity to each other: http://upsilon.unl.edu/stuff/citypairs.txt
(2,278,458 bytes)

I downloaded a list of place names (the file "Pop_places") from the
U.S. Geographic Survey. I then wrote a Perl script that ran through
the file and gathered all place names with estimated populations. This
eliminated all the neighborhoods and trailer parks and historical
places and so forth in the file; unfortunately, it also eliminated
unincorporated towns, so I was forced to ignore some great Nebraska
towns like Eldorado, Kronborg, and Worms.

Once I had a list of towns with latitudes and longitudes, it was only
a little bit of trig (okay, a lot of trig) and an estimated mean
radius of the Earth of 3960 miles, and the list was magically spit
out.

Here are the top twenty closest city pairs. Some of the towns (like
Pierron, IL) rank pretty high because it seems like they're being
compared to themselves. I didn't care to research all of these, but
Pierron appears to straddle a county line, so maybe that's the reason
it's listed twice (each town in the file is associated with a county,
after all).

0.02 miles between
Ardmore, AL (34°59'31"N, 86°50'49"W)
Ardmore, TN (34°59'31"N, 86°50'48"W)
0.04 miles between
Delmar, DE (38°27'23"N, 75°34'39"W)
Delmar, MD (38°27'21"N, 75°34'40"W)
0.08 miles between
Blue Eye, AR (36°29'52"N, 93°23'52"W)
Blue Eye, MO (36°29'55"N, 93°23'48"W)
0.10 miles between
Bristol, TN (36°35'42"N, 82°11'20"W)
Bristol, VA (36°35'47"N, 82°11'19"W)
0.18 miles between
Junction City, AR (33°00'58"N, 92°43'27"W)
Junction City, LA (33°00'49"N, 92°43'30"W)
0.27 miles between
Union City, IN (40°12'07"N, 84°48'33"W)
Union City, OH (40°11'58"N, 84°48'19"W)
0.48 miles between
Texhoma, OK (36°30'18"N, 101°46'57"W)
Texhoma, TX (36°29'53"N, 101°46'57"W)
0.87 miles between
Pomona, KS (38°36'30"N, 95°27'05"W)
Pomona, KS (38°35'45"N, 95°27'12"W)
1.24 miles between
Lookout Mountain, GA (34°58'39"N, 85°21'28"W)
Lookout Mountain, TN (34°59'39"N, 85°20'58"W)
1.29 miles between
Texarkana, AR (33°26'30"N, 94°02'15"W)
Texarkana, TX (33°25'30"N, 94°02'51"W)
2.81 miles between
Kansas City, KS (39°06'51"N, 94°37'38"W)
Kansas City, MO (39°05'59"N, 94°34'42"W)
2.94 miles between
Bluefield, VA (37°15'09"N, 81°16'17"W)
Bluefield, WV (37°16'11"N, 81°13'21"W)
3.42 miles between
Union City, CA (37°35'47"N, 122°04'50"W)
Union City, CA (37°35'45"N, 122°01'05"W)
4.20 miles between
Pierron, IL (38°46'48"N, 89°35'53"W)
Pierron, IL (38°46'35"N, 89°31'13"W)
11.02 miles between
Woodlawn, KY (39°05'33"N, 84°28'31"W)
Woodlawn, OH (39°15'07"N, 84°28'13"W)
16.75 miles between
Memphis, MS (34°55'05"N, 90°08'13"W)
Memphis, TN (35°08'58"N, 90°02'56"W)
21.06 miles between
Masontown, PA (39°50'48"N, 79°54'00"W)
Masontown, WV (39°33'08"N, 79°47'53"W)
24.53 miles between
New Hope, TX (33°12'36"N, 96°33'54"W)
New Hope, TX (33°14'04"N, 96°59'18"W)
25.84 miles between
Jefferson, PA (39°55'48"N, 80°03'33"W)
Jefferson, PA (40°17'28"N, 79°55'56"W)
27.83 miles between
Harrison, NJ (40°44'47"N, 74°09'24"W)
Harrison, NY (40°58'08"N, 73°42'47"W)

And here are the top twenty most distant city pairs. Not surprisingly,
they all include a town in Alaska.

4303.93 miles between
Saint George, AK (56°36'00"N, 169°32'30"W)
Saint George, SC (33°11'09"N, 80°34'33"W)
4100.46 miles between
Saint Marys, AK (62°03'11"N, 163°09'57"W)
Saint Marys, GA (30°43'49"N, 81°32'48"W)
4056.05 miles between
Saint Paul, AK (57°07'20"N, 170°16'30"W)
Saint Paul, VA (36°54'19"N, 82°18'40"W)
3916.81 miles between
Bethel, AK (60°47'32"N, 161°45'21"W)
Bethel, NC (35°48'25"N, 77°22'45"W)
3819.00 miles between
Bethel, AK (60°47'32"N, 161°45'21"W)
Bethel, DE (38°34'14"N, 75°37'11"W)
3806.51 miles between
Saint Paul, AK (57°07'20"N, 170°16'30"W)
Saint Paul, IN (39°25'41"N, 85°37'42"W)
3803.02 miles between
Nome, AK (64°30'04"N, 165°24'23"W)
Nome, TX (30°02'08"N, 94°25'27"W)
3743.68 miles between
Saint Paul, AK (57°07'20"N, 170°16'30"W)
Saint Paul, TX (33°02'28"N, 96°33'00"W)
3739.91 miles between
Marshall, AK (61°52'40"N, 162°04'52"W)
Marshall, NC (35°47'50"N, 82°41'03"W)
3700.62 miles between
Saint Paul, AK (57°07'20"N, 170°16'30"W)
Saint Paul, AR (35°49'27"N, 93°45'50"W)
3669.07 miles between
Saint George, AK (56°36'00"N, 169°32'30"W)
Saint George, MO (38°32'12"N, 90°18'53"W)
3653.59 miles between
Saint Paul, AK (57°07'20"N, 170°16'30"W)
Saint Paul, MO (38°51'41"N, 90°44'30"W)
3650.35 miles between
Ruby, AK (64°44'22"N, 155°29'13"W)
Ruby, SC (34°44'42"N, 80°10'59"W)
3616.03 miles between
Saint Marys, AK (62°03'11"N, 163°09'57"W)
Saint Marys, WV (39°23'30"N, 81°12'19"W)
3584.47 miles between
Saint Marys, AK (62°03'11"N, 163°09'57"W)
Saint Marys, PA (41°25'40"N, 78°33'40"W)
3561.15 miles between
Saint Paul, AK (57°07'20"N, 170°16'30"W)
Saint Paul, KS (37°31'08"N, 95°10'23"W)
3548.63 miles between
Galena, AK (64°44'00"N, 156°55'39"W)
Galena, MD (39°20'26"N, 75°52'45"W)
3546.16 miles between
Marshall, AK (61°52'40"N, 162°04'52"W)
Marshall, TX (32°32'41"N, 94°22'02"W)
3528.67 miles between
Saint Paul, AK (57°07'20"N, 170°16'30"W)
Saint Paul, IA (40°46'10"N, 91°31'01"W)
3522.09 miles between
Bethel, AK (60°47'32"N, 161°45'21"W)
Bethel, OH (38°57'49"N, 84°04'51"W)

A little pointer to anyone who wants to do something similar: The USGS
place files are much friendlier than the Census Bureau place files
(well, except that latitudes and longitudes are given in minutes and
seconds instead of decimal degrees). I spent all last night trying to
parse the Census Bureau files, eliminating duplicate cities, splitting
cities the Bureau had lumped together, figuring out what CDPs were,
resolving places where the file didn't fit the supposed format, etc.
Then I realized it would be much less work to just get a nicer file.
Oh well."

--
Jesse Whidden - University of Nebraska student
Nebraska Roads: http://www.nebraskaroads.com/
http://swid.unl.edu/nebroads/
Nebraska Termini Gallery: http://swid.unl.edu/nebroads/termini/

Remove CHEESE to reply...

Charles Sarjeant

Mar 20, 2004, 9:29:16 AM3/20/04
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message news:<40594F51...@dataex.com>...

> Jesse Whidden wrote:
> >
> > This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
> > any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
> >
> > "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
> > state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
> > that lie directly on borders)"
> >
> > Good luck, everyone!
>
> One close pair that I can think of is Richmond, IL (on US 12 by the
> Wisconsin state line) and Richmond, WI (on WI 89 between Whitewater and Delevan).
>
> Special case, Lake County, Illinois and Lake County, Indiana both share
> a border with Cook County, Illinois.

Winfield, Illinois (DuPage County) and Winfield, Indiana (Lake County)
are both in the Chicago metro area.

Vermillion County, Illinois and Vermillion County, Indiana border each
other.

Rothman

Mar 20, 2004, 11:01:26 AM3/20/04

> >When Quabbin Reservoir in western MA was created back in the 1930, four
> >towns were flooded out. One of those towns was called Enfield. It was
> >only 30 or 40 miles away from the still-existent town of Enfield, CT,
> >which is just over the border from MA.
>
> (aside: to tie the halves of this post together, one town that gained
> land from the Quabbin Reservoir formation is New Salem, Mass.)

What is on that "peninsula," anyhow? There's not much in New Salem besides
what is off of 202 and Cooleyville Rd.

RLDean

Mar 20, 2004, 12:22:49 PM3/20/04
>From: pigst...@yahoo.com (pigsty1953)

>There are about 6 or 8 Washington's in NJ. I believe Washington Boro
>is in Warren County, there are Washington Twps in Bergen, Morris(now
>Long Valley Twp. I believe), Mercer, and at least a few more in South
>Jersey.

Yes, Washington Borough is in Warren County which also has a Washington
Township. Morris County's Washington didn't change its name with localities of
Long Valley, Schooley's Mountain, and Fairmount. Mercer's had a referendum for
a name change in the last general election, I believe, but apparently it did
not pass as the web site is still for that name. Others are in Bergen and
Gloucester.

There is a Union Twp in Union County and Union Twp in Hunterdon.

Interesting that they are both along I-78.

>don County.
Again there are probably more Union Twps in South Jersey.

According to the NJ State web site's page for local municipal governments
there are no other Union Townships but there is a Union Beach.

>There are two Red Banks, one in Monmouth County, one in Glocester.
>There is Freehold Boro completely surrounded by Freehold Twp. There are
>at least 2 Raritans and two Delaware Twps. There was a third Raritan
>but it changed its name to Edison Twp.

Morris County has boroughs and townships both named Boonton, Chatham,
Chester, Mendham, and Rockaway. Chester Borough is surrounded by Chester
Township. Town of Morristown, is surrounded by the Township of Morris.

I'm only referencing municipalities and not localities or post offices.

Rich Dean

RLDean

Mar 20, 2004, 12:24:07 PM3/20/04
>From: bbrey...@aol.comedxedl (Bruce B. Reynolds)

>(RLDean) writes:
>
>>Milford NJ is located about 60 miles southwest of Milford PA.

Bruce Reynolds replied:
>Almost due South.

Yes, but just a little bit southwest. I threw that in because it's not too
often that a Jersey place can claim to be west of a Pennsy place.

Rich Dean

RLDean

Mar 20, 2004, 12:27:22 PM3/20/04
Allthough not exactly the same name, Denville NJ is along I-80 and so is
Danville PA. I remember hearing about things reported to have happened in
either the wrong Danville or Denville.

Rich Dean

James C. Schul

Mar 20, 2004, 3:12:53 PM3/20/04
charles....@insightbb.com (Charles Sarjeant) wrote in message
> Vermillion County, Illinois and Vermillion County, Indiana border each
> other.

Close--the Illinois county has only one "L".

James C. Schul

Mar 20, 2004, 3:17:49 PM3/20/04
> Also Mt. Vernon, IL and Mt. Vernon, IN are somewhat close together at around
> 70 miles. They fit together, in my mind at least, because they are both
> roughly between Evansville and St. Louis.

That reminds me of last summer when I was headed west on I-64 west of
Evansville: The distance sign gave about 89 miles to Mount Vernon.
The sign just said "Mount Vernon" without "IL", "Ill.", etc. I knew
it was the one in the Land of Lincoln and not the *much closer* county
seat of Posey County, Indiana.

James C. Schul

Mar 20, 2004, 3:29:16 PM3/20/04
Stanley Cline <sc1-...@roamer1.org> wrote in message
> Then there's the wacky situation with the Buckhead community of
> Atlanta (which is signed as a control city on GA 400) and Buckhead, GA
> (which is listed as a destination of an exit on I-20) that are about
> 60 miles apart. I have heard that this gives grief to the Postal
> Service (mail addressed to "Buckhead, GA" that really should go to
> "Atlanta, GA 30305"...)
>
> -SC

Here in Ohio is a similar situation with the Oakwood community of
Dayton on the south side of town north of Kettering, and Oakwood,
Ohio, in eastern Paulding County at the junction of OH 66 and OH 613.
As a Postal employee I have seen mail addressed to the Dayton suburb
that should go "Oakwood, OH 45873".

Jeff Carlyle

Mar 20, 2004, 3:30:01 PM3/20/04

I just thought of another one involving southern Illinois. There is a Marion
in Kentucky and one in Illinois. Both towns are covered by WPSD-6 out of
Paducah, but at least on their website you have to figure out which Marion
is which from the context of the article.

--
// Jeffrey Carlyle - jef...@carlyle.org - http://www.jeffc.org/

James C. Schul

Mar 20, 2004, 3:30:57 PM3/20/04
hbel...@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote in message
> Dayton, Ohio and Dayton, Ky., come to mind. So do Jamestown, Ky. and
> Jamestown, Tenn. (In fact, I have a photo of a sign on US 127 that has
> both cities listed on it.)

Just west of Greenville, OH, on OH 571 is a distance sign to Union
City, OH, and Union City, IN, and both cities are eleven miles away.

MCT

Mar 25, 2004, 10:55:16 PM3/25/04
<<(aside: to tie the halves of this post together, one town that gained
land from the Quabbin Reservoir formation is New Salem, Mass.)>>

<<What is on that "peninsula," anyhow? There's not much in New Salem
besides what is off of 202 and Cooleyville Rd.>>

That piece of land is actually called the Prescott Peninsula.
"Prescott" refers to one of the other defunct towns, which that area was
formerly a part of. I don't think there's much on the peninsula; most
if not all of it is protected watershed that is not open to development.

Rothman

Mar 26, 2004, 7:15:23 PM3/26/04

"MCT" <maggie...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Mystery solved!

MCT

Mar 27, 2004, 10:18:08 PM3/27/04
<<I downloaded a list of place names (the file "Pop_places") from the
U.S. Geographic survey. I then wrote a Perl script that ran through the

file and gathered all place names with estimated populations. This
eliminated all the neighborhoods and trailer parks and historical places
and so forth in the file; unfortunately, it also eliminated
unincorporated towns, so I was forced to ignore some great Nebraska
towns like Eldorado, Kronborg and Worms.>>

It looks like it is also ignores New England towns, even though they are
incorporated and serve much the same purpose that incorporated
municipalities do elsewhere. This is likely due to the fact that the
Census Bureau doesn't recognize New England towns as "places"; I won't
go into a long explanation as to why that is (this subject has been
hashed through on this newsgroup before), but will just note that their
exclusion from the file has the effect of excluding the vast majority of
places in the New England states.

...[list of towns snipped]....

The pair of Woodlawns in KY and OH seem to be the best answer to the
original question. Tim had mentioned them upthread, noting that both
are in the Cincinnati area. They seem to be the highest places on the
list that are in different states and aren't cross-border "twins".

Another pair fairly high on the list that are also in the same metro
area are the Harrisons in NY and NJ, which I don't think anyone had
mentioned previously. Both are probably within 10 or 15 miles of the
city limits of New York City.

MCT

Mar 27, 2004, 10:45:53 PM3/27/04
<<There are about 6 or 8 Washington's in NJ. I believe Washington Boro
is in Warren County, there are Washington Twps in Bergen, Morris(now
Long Valley Twp. I believe), Mercer, and at least a few more in South
Jersey.>>

<<Yes, Washington Borough is in Warren County which also has a
Washington Township. Morris County's Washington didn't change its name
with localities of Long Valley, Schooley's Mountain, and Fairmount.
Mercer's had a referendum for a name change in the last general
election, I believe, but apparently it did not pass as the web site is
still for that name. Others are in Bergen and Gloucester.>>

<<There is a Union Twp in Union County and Union Twp in Hunterdon.>>

In states that have townships, it is common for the same township names
to repeat over and over in multiple counties. This does take on a bit
more signifigance in NJ and PA than elsewhere, though, as townships are
incorporated in those states. But this isn't as confusing as it may
sound, as there is still usually only one place in the state that uses a
particular place name as its community name for purposes of civic
identity, mailing addressess, etc. In most of the Washington Townships
cited above, for example, there are one or more places names other than
"Washington" that are more commonly used for the above purposes.

Besides the six Washington Townships, NJ also has four Franklin
Townships and three Greenwich Townships. There are several other names
that are used on two townships in the state.

The Washingtons in NJ are interesting, however, because there actually
are two of them that commonly use "Washington" as their community name
-- the borough in Warren County and the township in Bergen County. The
post office calls the borough in Warren County "Washington, NJ" and the
township in Bergen County "Township of Washington, NJ"; I don't know how
people who live in the latter actually write out their addresses. The
Census Bureau calls the borough "Washington" and the township
"Washington Township" (the Census doesn't generally recognize townships
as "places", but in this case it recognizes a CDP that is coexstenive
with the township).

On the name change issue, the original poster may be thinking of a
different township in Morris County, Passaic Township, which changed its
name to Long Hill in 1992. This was presumably done to avoid confusion
with the City of Passaic (which is unrelated to, and not particularly
close to, the township).

<<There are two Red Banks, one in Monmouth County, one in Glocester.
There is Freehold Boro completely surrounded by Freehold Twp. There are
at least 2 Raritans and two Delaware Twps. There was a third Raritan but
it changed its name to Edison Twp.>>

<<Morris County has boroughs and townships both named Boonton, Chatham,
Chester, Mendham, and Rockaway.   Chester Borough is surrounded by
Chester Township. Town of Morristown, is surrounded by the Township of
Morris.>>

In most cases where a borough (or city) in NJ or PA shares its name with
a township, there is a historical relationship between the two; the
borough (or city) is adjacent to the township, and was originally the
"town center" (to use New England terminology) of the township before it
incorporated as a borough (or city). Sometimes the borough (or city)
and township still share a post office or have other close ties. I
would assume that this is the case with the Washington Township and
Borough of Washington in Warren County.

The above isn't always true, though. For example, the two surving
Raritans mentioned above (one a borough, one a township) are unrelated
to each other. The Borough of Franklin is not related to any of the
Franklin Townships.

IINM, there is only one Delaware left, a township in Hunterdon County.
There used to be a Delaware Township in Camden County, but it changed
its name to Cherry Hill back in the 1960s. Also, while there is a place
called Red Bank in Glocester County, the one in Monmouth County is the
only Red Bank that is actually incorporated as a municipality under that
name (it's a borough), and the only one with a post office by that name.

MCT

Mar 27, 2004, 11:08:35 PM3/27/04
<<Salem, MA and Salem, NH are about 35 miles apart; both are close
enough to Boston to be considered within the Greater Boston area, and
both are large enough to be considered as communities of some size
locally. To Bostonians, the one in MA is just plain "Salem", and the one
in NH is always "Salem, New Hampshire".>>

<<There are quite a few pairs of towns with the same name in NH and
Mass. I suspect with some hunting, a closer pair may be found, but am
uncertain.>>

There may be, although the relative size and importance of the Salems is
what makes them notable.

The Hudsons in MA and NH are probably about as close as the Salems.
Merrimac (MA) and Merrimack (NH) probably aren't much further. The are
also Brooklines, Milfords and Greenfields in each state that are
probably no more than 60 miles apart.

There is a lot of place name repetition among the New England states.
But there is only one name that is repeated on incorporated
municipalities in all six states, Warren. About a dozen more can be
found in five of the six.

Steve

Mar 28, 2004, 2:56:38 AM3/28/04
MCT wrote:

> There is a lot of place name repetition among the New England states.
> But there is only one name that is repeated on incorporated
> municipalities in all six states, Warren. About a dozen more can be
> found in five of the six.

I think Millville RI and MA are pretty close too. As for the five of
six... Essex? I know of CT, MA, and VT offhand, and I think NH as well.

--
Steve
GO YANKEES!... Knicks? Not Rangers until they FIRE SATHER!
Civil Engineering (Course 1) at MIT

SP Cook

Mar 28, 2004, 2:46:57 PM3/28/04
Jesse Whidden <jwhi...@unlnotesCHEESE.unl.edu> wrote in message

> This question came up on an online forum at my college. I thought if
> any group could come up with a definitive answer, m.t.r. could...
>
> "Name the closest US cities that share a name but are not in the same
> state (not considering cities like Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS
> that lie directly on borders)"

Around my area:

Bluefield, WV and VA, of course. And, unlike the Bristols or the
Kansas Cities, they are not a single town, Bluefield, VA is a
different place, with its own downtown, about a mile west of WV. The
town used to be known as Graham, VA.

Chesapeake, OH is about 60 miles from Chesapeake, WV.

Lawrence county, OH is 20 miles from Lawrence county, KY.

Richmond, KY and Richmond, VA, and Lexington, KY and Lexington, VA,
and Winchester, KY and Winchester, VA, while hundreds of miles apart,
will often cause confusion among the geographically challenged on
I-64.

Flatwoods, KY and Flatwoods, WV are about 100 miles apart.

Point Pleasant, OH and Point Pleasant, WV are about 150 miles apart,
both on the Ohio.

Oak Hill, OH and Oak Hill, WV are about 150 miles apart. Both have
high schools and they will have common opponets, as does the Oak Hill
academy in Mouth of Wilson, VA, so the sports anouncers have to add
the state name to all three.

SP Cook

Peter Rosa

Mar 28, 2004, 10:04:41 PM3/28/04
maggie...@webtv.net (MCT) wrote in message news:<15662-406...@storefull-3138.bay.webtv.net>...

> <<Salem, MA and Salem, NH are about 35 miles apart; both are close

> There is a lot of place name repetition among the New England states.
> But there is only one name that is repeated on incorporated
> municipalities in all six states, Warren.

Warren, Connecticut is your proverbial blink-and-you-miss-it "town."
In most parts of the country, a community that small probably wouldn't
be incorporated at all.

--
Peter Rosa
pros...@yahoo.com

MCT

Apr 1, 2004, 11:32:17 PM4/1/04
<<There is a lot of place name repetition among the New England states.
But there is only one name that is repeated on incorporated
municipalities in all six states, Warren. About a dozen more can be
found in five of the six.>>

<<I think Millville RI and MA are pretty close too.>>

When I first read the above, my reaction was "Millville, RI? Where the
heck is that?". I'd never even heard of it; I knew there was certainly
no incorporated municipality, post office, or community of any
signicance by that name in RI. But Mapquest shows what appears to be
small locality called Millville in the Town of Exeter, along RI-165.
According to Mapquest, it's about 45 miles fom Millville, MA. I don't
know if this really quaifies as a "town" in any sense of the word,
though.

<<As for the five of six... Essex? I know of CT, MA, and VT offhand, and
I think NH as well.>>

Here's what I've been able to come up with. In most cases, the missing
state is Rhode Island -- it's so small, it just doesn't have a lot of
municipalities, period.

Andover (missing RI)
Bridgewater (missing RI)
Bristol (missing MA)
Chester (missing RI)
Franklin (missing RI)
Lincoln (missing CT)
Manchester (missing RI; the one in MA modified its name to
"Manchester-by-the-Sea" a few years ago)
Plymouth (missing RI)
Richmond (missing CT)
Salisbury (missing RI)
Sharon (missing RI)
Washington (missing RI)
Windsor (missing RI)

Roxbury, Salem and Berlin also had five of the six states at one time.
All lost this distinction when one more places of those names
disincorporated or were annexed by another community. In Roxbury's
case, there are incorporated towns by that name in CT, VT, NH and ME,
and the former town of Roxbury, MA certainly still exists as a
community, although it was annexed by Boston more than a century ago.
"Roxbury" is still commonly used as a place name, and it's recognized by
the US Post Office as acceptable for addressing mail.

MCT

Apr 1, 2004, 11:37:00 PM4/1/04
<<Salem, MA and Salem, NH are about 35 miles apart....There is a lot of

place name repetition among the New England states. But there is only
one name that is repeated on incorporated municipalities in all six
states, Warren.>>

<<Warren, Connecticut is your proverbial blink-and-you-miss-it "town."
In most parts of the country, a community that small probably wouldn't
be incorporated at all.>>

It's interesting that while you can find incorporated Warrens in all six
New England states, none are particulary large or well-known beyond
their local areas. The one in RI (pop. c. 11,000) is by far the
largest.

Subdeacon

Feb 10, 2016, 8:28:02 PM2/10/16
Benton, IL is 102 mi from Benton, KY
Benton, KY is 96 mi from Benton, MO
Benton, MO is 90 mi from Benton, IL

A Benton triangle of 288 miles round-trip

Michael Moroney

Feb 11, 2016, 11:56:38 AM2/11/16
Salem MA to Salem NH, 28 miles.

There are many instances of a small City of X adjacent to or surrounded
by a Town of X in New York State. They are politically separate entities.
(There are also many cases of a Village of X in a Town of X in NY,
however villages in NY are considered part of the town they are in,
they're another layer of government)

John Levine

Feb 11, 2016, 2:22:35 PM2/11/16
>Salem MA to Salem NH, 28 miles.
>
>There are many instances of a small City of X adjacent to or surrounded
>by a Town of X in New York State. They are politically separate entities.
>(There are also many cases of a Village of X in a Town of X in NY,
>however villages in NY are considered part of the town they are in,
>they're another layer of government)

And for extra fun, the Village of Scarsdale has exactly the same
boundaries as the Town of Scarsdale.

Connecticut is divided into towns, of which 19 are also cities, again
same boundaries.

Larry Scholnick

Feb 11, 2016, 8:04:07 PM2/11/16
In California we have Claremont (in eastern Los Angeles county) and Clairemont (in San Diego county), 115 miles apart. They are pronounced identically.

For good measure, just across the county line from Claremont is Montclair (in San Bernardino county). They wanted to be a single city, but CA law does not allow cities to cross county lines.

margiew...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2018, 6:03:12 AM1/3/18
Columbia, MO/Columbia, IL

Jared Goodman

Jan 19, 2023, 10:45:56 AM1/19/23
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 6:03:12 AM UTC-5, margiew...@gmail.com wrote:
> Columbia, MO/Columbia, IL

I know this thread is almost 20 years old now, but I was researching this topic myself and I'm surprised to find that not a single person has stumbled upon Boiling Springs. Aside from the Woodlawns in KY/OH, I think it is the best candidate for the answer to this question. Boiling Springs, North Carolina is approximately 22 miles from Boiling Springs, South Carolina, and they are both actual towns.