What was there at AAG

Denny

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Here's the second part of my trip to Pittsburgh (that I promised). This
will be entirely about what I saw at the American Association of Geographers
conference (in reference to what get's posted here at MTR)

I saw two poster exhibits (that should be) of note here.
One was from Oklahoma State (one of the lesser OSUs ;-) about modeling the
economic impact of a bypass with GIS. I forget now which town was studied
but the bypass was along US 70 in Oklahoma.
We've all bantered about what happens to towns after traffic is routed
around them. Now someone went and tried to get some empirical data about
the changes that occurs when this. Something interesting to study?

The other poster was from an University of Montreal student who was studying
4 road projects in the peripheral region of the Lower Saint Lawrence River
Region. The student was ranking the (planned) roads by transportation cost,
loss of recreational and residential land, water and air quality, pollution
and waste, network competition, etc. In this case, if you want to see more,
check out www.geog.umontreal.ca/perif/ for the student's work.

Among the papers presented (in order of when I saw them) of note...
We had someone give a presentation about the Impact and value of Automobile
Advertising
Someone gave a history of Big Dig/ Central Artery.
To the Canadians here; what is the difference between a 4 laned and a twined
highway (terms used in a paper Halifax Nova Scotia)?
Saw a presentation with very few road signs or highway trappings from fellow
MTRer............The long lost Dave Schul. Well it wasn't about county
collecting, but his topic goes hand-in-hand with all of his traveling.
So Dave (since you're getting a copy of this as well), there is no "Pride"
in not visiting us (at least once in awhile). Please don't let yourself be
forgotten here. If you can keep pace with Andy Field and Scott Oglesby (and
that's what once a month?), then I won't have to bug your brother about what
you're doing.
(Back to AAG)
Saw plenty of titles with the word "Sprawl" in them

(To H.B. Elkins)We had someone from the University of Kentucky say that I-66
is back on again in Kentucky. Even went as far as showing how GIS would
show the best route from Laurel to Pulaski for I-66 would be. According to
gradstudent I talked to, I-66 was being put together piece-mail in southern
Kentucky as to limit opposition.
A great title that I missed; Mr. Kiss-Kiss Bang-Bang: James Bond and
Representations of Place and Time.
A Great subgroup, that I caught all of, was Rereading the Road: Modernity,
Mobility, and Cultural Significance. The 4 topics of this group were...
The Tyranny of the Road - In spite of the title, this wasn't a diatribe
about how roads control our life, just how we're lured by them to take off.
He also gave a list of phrases that had *road (and other synonyms)* in them,
to which I suggested he add road geek and road scholar.
The Routes of Narrative: Road Trips and Romantic Pursuits in Early
20th-Century American Lit. - The title says it all in this case. A topic
that is rarely discussed here. ;-)
The Corporate Commodification of the road: A cultural study of the "Route
66" TV series - Did you know that just under 50% (47% to be exact) of all
the Route 66 shows were based within 200 miles of "The Mother Road." The
presenter was trying to make a case that US 66's noriety came from the media
(John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and the TV show). She was unaware that
the Lincoln Highway was a forerunner to US 66 in the noriety part

We had a subgroup on vernacular names, places, and regions. Of note here is
how Native Indian names are prevalent in some places and how they were
*erased* in others. Also will those of you posting in the Midwest please
stand up. The only place that is certainly in the Midwest is......Nebraska
and Iowa.
There was a presentation from the national park service about using GIS to
track the history of the Cuyahoga River National Recreation area.

The main idea I got from this convention is, there are alot of topics
bantered about here that one could make a carrier on (and the kicker is,
most geographers don't know about what we talk about). Our basis here is
Transportation Geography. Where are threads head could be titled political,
cultural, or historical (I didn't see engineering though :-(. Whether it
be what type highway shields there are on a certain highway, why we remember
two lane highways and not the freeways, or the history of (insert name here)
highway, there are a many ideas that we know alot about here at MTR that we
can indulge the rest of the world with.
--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - President of the OSU Geography Club

"Rocks are my pillow
The cold ground my bed
Highway is my home" -- Magic Slim

bugo

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

"Denny" <De...@bright.net> wrote in message

> I saw two poster exhibits (that should be) of note here.
> One was from Oklahoma State (one of the lesser OSUs ;-) about modeling the
> economic impact of a bypass with GIS. I forget now which town was studied
> but the bypass was along US 70 in Oklahoma.
> We've all bantered about what happens to towns after traffic is routed
> around them. Now someone went and tried to get some empirical data about
> the changes that occurs when this. Something interesting to study?

Maybe it was Idabel or Hugo?

Jeff Kitsko

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
>Here's the second part of my trip to Pittsburgh (that I promised). This
>will be entirely about what I saw at the American Association of Geographers
>conference (in reference to what get's posted here at MTR)

That was in Pittsburgh? Did you see maps an 'at? Yihns grab some pop or Ir'n
City at Primanti's and take a map and go dahn to the crick. OK, I'll stop
talking in Pittsburghese :).

Jeff Kitsko
Located on Unity TR 707 @ US 30 and PA 981
Pennsylvania Highways: http://members.aol.com/pahighways/main.html

Denny

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
bugo <bu...@hotmail.comSPAM_REALLY,REALLY_SUCKS> wrote in message

I thought it was a little further west. If I had posted this sooner (no pun
intended),
then maybe I wouldn't have forgotten it.

Denny

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Jeff Kitsko <jjki...@aol.comNOI-99> wrote in message

> >Here's the second part of my trip to Pittsburgh (that I promised). This
> >will be entirely about what I saw at the American Association of
Geographers
> >conference (in reference to what get's posted here at MTR)
>
> That was in Pittsburgh? Did you see maps an 'at? Yihns grab some pop or
Ir'n
> City at Primanti's and take a map and go dahn to the crick. OK, I'll stop
> talking in Pittsburghese :).

No to all. I was lacking a MTR tour guide of the area (remember?!?).