Proposal: Roadgeek Convention.

Rush Wickes

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
location of several major road construction projects in the near
future.

Any opinions on this?

--

Rush Wickes | spam deterrent in place
to reply: replace 'vatech' with 'vt'.

Brandon M. Gorte

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Rush Wickes (l...@vatech.edu) wrote:
: How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While

: we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
: of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
: to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
: propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
: seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
: location of several major road construction projects in the near
: future.
:
: Any opinions on this?

I was thinking the same thing. Other newsgroups have "conventions" as
well. An are with a lot to see road-wise should be chosen. Chicago,
Washington DC, New York City, Los Angeles, etc.

Brandon Gorte
Undergrad in Geological Engineering
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI

Chicago Area Interstates Page:
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~bmgorte/interstate.html
Northeastern Illinois Interstate Exit Guide
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~bmgorte/neillinois.html

Bill Cohen

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
I would think someplace closer to KC or elsewhere in the midwest would be
more appropriate, as it would be a drivable distance for more of us.
Living in Calif, I wouldnt be able to take the time for a roadtrip to
make it all the way to DC. I would probably have to fly to Louisville or
Detroit and start the road trip from there.

How bout that great big McDonalds on I-44 in Vinita, OK??? Perhaps we
could trek down to Tulsa and post some 444 signs as a community service.

It is easier to teach Economics to a Democrat,
than Compassion to a Republican.

Mike Ballard

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Or how about some place more central to us West Coasters. Kansas or Colorado
would work too. I still couldn't make it but it would be more central. E-470,
US 400 and a few other things would be closer too. Or how about in San Leandro,
CA. Seems like a perfect place with I-238 and all.

In article <36373940...@news.vt.edu>, l...@vatech.edu says...

>How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
>we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
>of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
>to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
>propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
>seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
>location of several major road construction projects in the near
>future.
>
>Any opinions on this?
>

>--
>
>Rush Wickes | spam deterrent in place
>to reply: replace 'vatech' with 'vt'.
>web : http://www.southside.org/~rush/

--
Mike Ballard
mapm...@smartlink.net
Geologist, Cyclist, Highway Historian, Railroad Fan, Road Map Collector.
Santa Clarita, California, United States of America
Virtual Tours of US 6, US 99, and the Ridge Route are at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker/highway.htm
Visit the Santa Clarita Resources Page at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker
History, Geology, Highway, and Local Bicycling Information

pkirby

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Mike Ballard wrote:

> Or how about some place more central to us West Coasters. Kansas or Colorado
> would work too. I still couldn't make it but it would be more central. E-470,
> US 400 and a few other things would be closer too. Or how about in San Leandro,
> CA. Seems like a perfect place with I-238 and all.
>
> In article <36373940...@news.vt.edu>, l...@vatech.edu says...
> >
> >How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
> >we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
> >of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
> >to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
> >propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
> >seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
> >location of several major road construction projects in the near
> >future.
> >
> >Any opinions on this?

We should hold it in Altoona...so all of us could have a first hand look
at I-99.

--
J.P. Kirby Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
pki...@brunnet.net *or* jpk...@hotmail.com

BCBA

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
kinda ironic to fly to a roadgeek convention [i know it's a problem
finding time to do the really important things in life :) ]

someone will have to hand out homework (roadwork) assignments: take lots
of notes and pictures along the way. extra credit given for those who
use a digital camera and upload the images along the way.

i doubt you'll be able to give an award for the one who travelled the
longest distance, as we're more likely to take the long route. i rarely
take the same route twice...and have been know to go out of my way to
visit a particular map feature here or there.

i wouldn't want to offend anyone by trying to list the locations of the
greatest concentrations of mtr posters. but i am surprised, considering
the vastness of the net, at the number of pittsburgh metro participants
here.

LA, CHI, and NY seem to be the typical convention destinations,
geographically speaking...but is this proposed event large enough to
support more than one location?

newsgroups and websites are an astounding way to build a community (and
the traffic ain't so bad either - no orange barrels)

--bruce

Bob Chessick

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
How about Scranton? It's centralily located among some of our favorite
topics, such as I-99, I-476, the Schuylkill Expressway, NYC's expressway
system, etc.

Ron Newman

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Shouldn't a roadgeek convention be held at a turnpike service
area (preferably one with a sit-down restaurant)?

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/home.html

DukeNC1998

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net> writes:

How about the ones on the New Jersey Turnpike? They have sit down restaurants,
and i've even seen groups reserve sections too.

-Mike Tantillo
Massapequa (Long Island), NY, by NY 27, Sunrise Highway
and Durham, NC, by US 70 Bus., W. Main St.
"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself"
"It takes years to build up trust but only seconds to destroy it"

NFARS

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Personally, if I could hold it anywhere...

The last HoJo on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

My name is Chris Sampang, but call me Calvin.
The Yitbox: http://geosucks.cjb.net
---
Caffinated drinks have a high influence on hyperness. I'm thirsty.

leopard

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98

Rush Wickes wrote in message <36373940...@news.vt.edu>...

>How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
>we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
>of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
>to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
>propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
>seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
>location of several major road construction projects in the near
>future.

>Any opinions on this?

We should of done this during the summer. School season kind of puts the
clamps on travelling. If you think we could do this during *christmas
break,* then cross your fingers that it's a mild winter for travelling.
Also, while DC could be fine for about 1/3 of us, I don't think the western
corespondanters would want to travel cross country for a meeting. Maybe St.
Louis would be more suitable location (for statistical reasons :-).

>--
>Rush Wickes | spam deterrent in place
>to reply: replace 'vatech' with 'vt'.
>web : http://www.southside.org/~rush/

SJG - about a 9 hour trip from DC and 6 hours from St. Louis.

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98

----------
In article <363749...@prisma-graphicdesign.com>, BCBA

<sys...@prisma-graphicdesign.com> wrote:
>LA, CHI, and NY seem to be the typical convention destinations,
>geographically speaking...but is this proposed event large enough to
>support more than one location?
>
>newsgroups and websites are an astounding way to build a community (and
>the traffic ain't so bad either - no orange barrels)

There seems to ba quite a few of us within about 4-5 (or 8-9 via 'scenic
routes', of course :-)) driving hours of Chicago.

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

jvin...@mcs.net

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Rush Wickes wrote:

> How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
> we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade

Certainly some of us have some signs, acquired legally or otherwise.

> - surely some
> of us could bring our map collections,

That's what the RMCA ( http://www.roadmaps.org ) is for. If you attend
an RMCA convention you'll find plenty of people to talk to about roads.

> road geek photos

That's what Web sites (mine among others) are for.

> and anecdotes
> to swap with other roadgeeks.

That's partially what m.t.r is for (and if it belongs more on "Road
Rules" than on m.t.r I'm probably not interested in hearing about it).

> If such a meeting were to be held, I'd

> propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area. That region

> seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
> location of several major road construction projects in the near
> future.
>
> Any opinions on this?

Ugh. Wouldn't want to run into the talk.politics or
alt.fan.monica-lewinsky conventions or whatever else is going on in D.C.

The thing about Chicago is that it's long been the nation's
transportation hub, be it for rail, road or air travel. Also, roads and
the design and developlment thereof have been an integral part of the
development of the city, perhaps more so than anywhere else in the
world.

Chicago, Buckingham Fountain (500 S. Lake Shore Drive), Saturday, 26
June 1999, noon. There's plenty of road stuff within walking distance
(ironically enough), and we can take it from there.

Alternatively we meet in Asheville, North Carolina in a couple of years,
so that John Lansford can take us all on I-26 before it opens.

--
M. Steffora, Chicago, Illinois; http://www.mcs.net/~jvincent
JVincent's Road House: N.C. highways, 120+ road photos

Stevestr

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Not to mention you have your choice of several "sit down" restauraunts.
Although you'll have to pay a toll to get to them :)

There are McDonalds, Wendy's, and I think a Taco Bell. But I know the
seating areas are larger there. Okay, so these aren't TRUE sit down
restaurants -- just doin' my part to promote Chicago. ;)

Then again there is that Skyway McDonalds on I-90....

Chicago would seem to be centrally located as far as traveling is
concerned but I think that anywhere is doable. I just think that we
should at least have this thing. It would be interesting to meet fellow
"road geeks" in person.

- Stevestr mail to: Stev...@ix.netcom.com -
= Glenview, Illinois, USA browse: http://www.stevestr.org =
- "Think Different" -Apple "California Dreaming" -Myself -
= Spammers: Your mail will be delt with accordingly. =
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rush Wickes

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:44:24 -0400, pkirby <pki...@brunnet.net> wrote:

>We should hold it in Altoona...so all of us could have a first hand look
>at I-99.

We'd want our convention to be peaceful, not instigate any 'this route
should be a 3di protests'. I could just see that now, some roadgeeks
would block traffic and proceed to deface I-99 signs with stickers
bearing a more appropriate number, such as I-776.

Rush Wickes

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
On 28 Oct 1998 18:40:31 GMT, mapm...@smartlink.net (Mike Ballard)
wrote:

>Or how about some place more central to us West Coasters. Kansas or Colorado
>would work too. I still couldn't make it but it would be more central. E-470,
>US 400 and a few other things would be closer too. Or how about in San Leandro,
>CA. Seems like a perfect place with I-238 and all.

I thought of Washington DC, because it's relatively close to many of
the east coast roadgeeks. It's only four hours from NYC (Ralph
Herman and Steve Anderson), two hours from Philadelphia (Sandy Smith
and myself), right next door for Bentley and Douglas Willinger and
just about an hour or two away from 'Virginia Highwayman' Scott Kozel
in Richmond.

I apologize if I've left any 'm.t.r'ers' out who hail from various
points on the east coast. Those are just some names which come to
mind. I did have the chance to meet Bentley and Willinger in the
Wilson Bridge Design Center in Alexandria this past summer. On an
earlier expedition, they caught up with Kozel.

Perhaps the West Coast roadgeeks could have a get together of their
own, but given their vast dispersal across the west coast. The
journey time would be considerably longer to a meeting place.
Perhaps a 'road geek world tour' with stops in rest/service areas in
all 48 continental states would be the only way of solving these
geographical disparities? <g>

Bartron

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
>We should hold it in Altoona...so all of us could have a first hand look
>at I-99.

In the median. Bring jackhammers and other tools of demolition. Everybody gets
an I-99 shield for their college dorm room, lounge, or bedroom.

I 890Aaron

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
duh, there should be 3 0r 4 meetings across the country so everyone who wanted
to come can come--maybe LA, CHI, NY and dallas or something, but would ppl
really come at all?

Dave Schul

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
l...@vatech.edu (Rush Wickes) wrote:

>How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While

>we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
>of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
>to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
>propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region

>seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
>location of several major road construction projects in the near
>future.
>
>Any opinions on this?

Well, most of the 400 or so members of the Road Map Collectors of
America ( http://roadmaps.org ) are roadgeeks, more or less, and we
get together on a Friday-Saturday every September in the Chicago area.
I had the pleasure of meeting several of the m.t.r regulars there this
year.

The venue has the honor of being located at the intersection of two
(formerly) transcontinental US Routes (6 and 41). Not much happens
after about 2:00 on that Saturday, and it probably would easy to have
an m.t.r get-together at the same place that afternoon/evening. Plus,
anyone interested in picking up a few more 20s maps (or just wanting
to look at some) can sort through about 50 displays that morning.

If anyone would like me to look into organizing something like this,
let me know. Please use the email address in the sig.
Dave Schul da...@roadmaps.org
Freelance Geographer http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~dschul
President, Road Map Collectors of America http://www.roadmaps.org
Lawrence, Kansas Home of the Jayhawks

Note: this was posted from a false address to obstruct spammers --
Please reply to the address above.

H.B. Elkins

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
l...@vatech.edu (Rush Wickes) wrote:

>How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
>we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
>of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
>to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
>propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
>seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
>location of several major road construction projects in the near
>future.
>
>Any opinions on this?

In theory it'd be great. In practice it would be awfully hard to pull
off. I know my wife wouldn't be too thrilled that I was going to trek
across the country to meet up with a bunch of fellow Internet road
geeks. ;-)

Shouldn't the m.t.r reunion be held somewhere along the route of the
dearly departed US 66?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins mailto:hbel...@mis.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins
"You take what's good for you and I'll take my freedom." -- Steven Tyler
Kentucky Wildcats Basketball, #3 Dale Earnhardt & #35 Darrell Waltrip-- A Championship Combination
Say "nyet" to spam -- remove spambuster "y" in address to reply
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

APri...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
In article <363873ed...@news.newsguy.com>,

hbel...@mis.nyet wrote:
> l...@vatech.edu (Rush Wickes) wrote:
>
> >How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
> >we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
> >of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
> >to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
> >propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
> >seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
> >location of several major road construction projects in the near
> >future.
> >
> >Any opinions on this?
>
> In theory it'd be great. In practice it would be awfully hard to pull
> off. I know my wife wouldn't be too thrilled that I was going to trek
> across the country to meet up with a bunch of fellow Internet road
> geeks. ;-)

How bout we also have state chapters and metropolitan chapter conventions..for
in my case Pittsburgh area and Pennsylvania would be great...that way at least
we can meetface to face with our fellow local road geeks
--
Adam Prince

"Merge Here...Take your turn"
---PennDot

pastor...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
hbel...@mis.nyet wrote:
> l...@vatech.edu (Rush Wickes) wrote:
>
> >How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
> >we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
> >of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
> >to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
> >propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
> >seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
> >location of several major road construction projects in the near
> >future.
> >
> >Any opinions on this?
>
> In theory it'd be great. In practice it would be awfully hard to pull
> off. I know my wife wouldn't be too thrilled that I was going to trek
> across the country to meet up with a bunch of fellow Internet road
> geeks. ;-)

I'd have to say "Ditto". My wife wouldn't be wild about it.

> Shouldn't the m.t.r reunion be held somewhere along the route of the
> dearly departed US 66?

That's an Idea!

--
Mike Crain-email at
(text only) pastor2bm...@juno.com

Michael R Natale

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Excerpts from netnews.misc.transport.road: 28-Oct-98 Re: Proposal:
Roadgeek Conv.. by pki...@brunnet.net

Roadgeek Conv.. by "Bob Chessick"@epix.net

Roadgeek Conv.. by NF...@aol.com

> The last HoJo on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Since everyone seems to be going around it in circles, hold it in
Breezewood. Two hours from Pittsburgh, three from DC, four from NYC.
Right on major highways, far enough away from Schusterville. Plenty of
hotels and restaurants, and two minutes away from the old PA Turnpike
alignment and tunnels.

nwp...@student.berklee.edu

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
In article <71aa3f$i69$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
APri...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> How bout we also have state chapters and metropolitan chapter conventions..for
> in my case Pittsburgh area and Pennsylvania would be great...that way at least
> we can meetface to face with our fellow local road geeks

I think a fair-sized table at a Perkins in the Syracuse area would adequately
serve as the venue for the Upstate New York chapter, which would include
myself, Mike M. (both of them), J.P., Mark S., I890Aaron, David G., and Doug
Kelly if we can find him. (Apologies to those I have missed [C.C. Slater/mr
y?]. Apologies also to downstaters, but I think there's enough there and in
NE Jersey to warrant their own chapter.)

I choose the Syracuse area (or somewhere on the southern I-81 corridor) for
its relatively central location to all of us.)

NP

pkirby

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
H.B. Elkins wrote:

> In theory it'd be great. In practice it would be awfully hard to pull
> off. I know my wife wouldn't be too thrilled that I was going to trek
> across the country to meet up with a bunch of fellow Internet road
> geeks. ;-)
>
> Shouldn't the m.t.r reunion be held somewhere along the route of the
> dearly departed US 66?

I just thought of something:

Why don't we hold 4-5 different conventions and be linked by video
confrencing?

leopard

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

APri...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message <71aa3f$i69

>How bout we also have state chapters and metropolitan chapter
conventions..for
>in my case Pittsburgh area and Pennsylvania would be great...that way at
least
>we can meetface to face with our fellow local road geeks
>--
>Adam Prince

I don't know about metropolitan chapters (I'll be president, VP, and
secretary for the Ohio State mini chapter :-) in Ohio. We have have enough
contributors for a chapter, obviously. Marc F. and Steve H (BTW, where has
Steve gone to? Did he transfer out after the BP sell?) live in the greater
Cleveland area, Brian lives a little south of them between Ashland and
Wooster, Nick in the northwest, at Bowling Green (during school season), me
out here between OSU Marion and OSU Columbus, James Schul out near Dayton,
John Simpson (with his page on the history of Ohio routes) in Cincy, and
occasional poster David Norris (with ODOT) by Lucasville.
So folks, is it Columbus or can we move up north US 23 (someday to be I-73)
to Delaware or even Marion? In any case I'm sure we could get a room cheap
(or free) to meet at. But about that video conferencing Kirby......

SJG - I still say the National meeting should be at St. Louis.

Texas HighwayMan

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Alright, that's it: Everyone's invited to my place next weekend. :-)

--Brian Purcell
"Texas HighwayMan"
San Antonio, USA

E-mail:
hiwa...@express-news.net
Web site:
www.enconnect.net/greengrl
Includes:
-San Antonio Freeways/Texas Highways
-Getting Around Germany

Brandon M. Gorte

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Texas HighwayMan (hiwa...@express-news.net) wrote:
: Alright, that's it: Everyone's invited to my place next weekend. :-)

Best suggestion yet! :-)

However, how do some of us (w/o a car) get there? ;-)

Brandon Gorte
Undergrad in Geological Engineering
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI

Chicago Area Interstates Page:
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~bmgorte/interstate.html
Northeastern Illinois Interstate Exit Guide
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~bmgorte/neillinois.html

Stevestr

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Be nice to someone with one :)

Darren Stuart Embry

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
[misc.transport.road] BCBA <sys...@prisma-graphicdesign.com> wrote:

> kinda ironic to fly to a roadgeek convention [i know it's a problem
> finding time to do the really important things in life :) ]

One activity you could do to kill some time on a flight, when the sky
is clear, is to see if you can recognize any of the roads you see
along the way. This is especially cool if you're flying over places
you have never been before.

Once on a flight to see a friend of mine three months ago, I had my
Ohio Transportation Map with me and recognized quite a few of the
roads and towns in western Ohio. Interstates and other divided
highways, as well as small towns, are helpful.

Darren

--
Darren Stuart Embry . . . or bust. http://www.slug.louisville.edu/~dsembr01/

``Nerds make the best lovers. That's why I'm in Speed School.''
-- Angela J. Smith

SPUI

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
I found a SPUI (FL 202 at Gate Pkwy) from an airplane! I also saw that FL 9A
was under construction. I impressed the other passengers by pointing out we
were over northern Ohio just from seeing a trumpet-T interchange (and at
night too!). A minute later the pilot announced we were starting to go down
(to Detroit).

--
Daniel Moraseski
http://members.xoom.com/spui/ - FL and NJ roads

Mike Ballard

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
I was taking pics of the highways when I flew from SLC to DFW. Lots of pics of
an expressway/freeway under construction from Amarillo to Dallas.

In article <slrn73i47j....@ox.slug.louisville.edu>,
dsem...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu says...

--
Mike Ballard
mapm...@smartlink.net
Geologist, Cyclist, Highway Historian, Railroad Fan, Road Map Collector.
Santa Clarita, California, United States of America
Virtual Tours of US 6, US 99, and the Ridge Route are at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker/highway.htm
Visit the Santa Clarita Resources Page at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker
History, Geology, Highway, and Local Bicycling Information

MBHockey13

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98

>I think a fair-sized table at a Perkins in the Syracuse area would adequately
>serve as the venue for the Upstate New York chapter, which would include
>myself, Mike M. (both of them), J.P., Mark S., I890Aaron, David G., and Doug
>Kelly if we can find him. (Apologies to those I have missed [C.C. Slater/mr
>y?]. Apologies also to downstaters, but I think there's enough there and in
>NE Jersey to warrant their own chapter.)
>
>I choose the Syracuse area (or somewhere on the southern I-81 corridor) for
>its relatively central location to all of us.)

Well, if anyone cares, I'm 2 hours from Syracuse (Buffalo). I have to admit,
though, that I haven't "come out" to the world as a road geek quite yet, and
the idea of being with a bunch of you guys might hurt my image :)

My girlfriend already thinks I'm a freak for taking pictures of road signs.

And if we're going to meet, how about someplace a little cooler than Perkins?
Perferably, a place with a lot of beer.

Anyways, D.C., Altoona, or Breezewood would be my choice for an Eastern U.S.
meeting. I ain't going NEAR Califonia!
MBHockey13

Michael Kotler

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
On 30 Oct 1998 01:05:55 GMT, dsem...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu
(Darren Stuart Embry) wrote:

>One activity you could do to kill some time on a flight, when the sky
>is clear, is to see if you can recognize any of the roads you see
>along the way. This is especially cool if you're flying over places
>you have never been before.

I'm an old hand at this. Here are my tricks of the trade.

1. Get a window seat (duh!), but make sure that you are not right on
top of the wing. And it is better to be behind the wing rather than
in front of it; it is more frustrating to recognize stuff and have
them disappear, than to have them suddenly appear then fade out
slowly. Be careful of the rear seats on DC-9 or MD-80 series
aircraft; the engine blocks the view and some aft seats have no
windows at all. Some online reservation systems let you pick the seat
from a map of the aircraft, including United's web site (you can
reserve for ANY airline there). One thing I have not yet mastered is
deciding which side of the plane to sit, since routes vary with the
wind (literally!) and other factors. But if there is, say, one
cardinal direction you want to observe, you may have to do some mental
3D imaging to determine your side. Note: if you are flying east-west,
get a seat on the north side, as the sun's glare is less bothersome.

2. Bring maps with you. I just use an ordinary Rand McNally road
atlas, because it covers every state and doesn't get messy folding it
up. If you're more adventurous, you might want to try FAA sectional
maps. These can be purchased at any general aviation facility, and
cost about $7 each for each "section" of the United States; get the
ones you'll be flying through. (If you have a friend who is a pilot,
ask him/her for their old maps, as FAA regulations mandate updating
maps every year for flight plans.) The aviation maps are good because
they help with visual cues that pilots are expected to see, including
RR's, power lines, topographical features, and of course highways,
though they are not always numbered. FAA sectional maps also show the
"Victor Airways" or the proscribed paths usually taken by commercial
jets, aiding following along even more. Another option would be a
CD-ROM map on a notebook/laptop computer (I never tried this) but I
doubt this one because (a) seek times can be frustratingly slow on
those disks, possibly enough for your target to pass out of view, (b)
it's annoying geting them through security, and (c) you cannot use
"approved electronic devices" during much of the flight, especially
during the critical take-off and landing times, when roads are the
clearest.

If you forgot a map, one alternative is to have pencil and paper, and
sketch any unique looking interchanges or junctions. Then upon
arrival, cross check it with your approximate location on a map.

3. Use an aid to mark your place on the map, even with a pencil if
necessary. Believe me when I say you will lose you place on the map
while you are looking out the window. By the time you find it again,
the plane will have moved on. Except for during cruising altitude,
you will need to update your position every 10 seconds or so.

4. Try to fly during daylight hours, though a seasoned road geek can
identify many highways at night as well.

5. Of course, you can do all this but still be hindered by that
dreaded obstacle: clouds. If it is an overcast day, forget it, bring
something else to read. But remember that a plane travels in and out
of areas of weather activity. A plane can take off into dense stratus
clouds, you'd fall asleep, and wake up in clear skies. Most often,
though, it is only partly cloudy, and you are either interrupted for
trivial gaps, or play the game of figure-out-where-you-left-off.

6. The critical stage, how to identify roads, I leave to you.

The first time you try road geeking from the air, you may be in for a
few surprises -- even for roads you are familiar with. For example,
I've often spotted cloverleafs and ramps-to-nowhere where I never knew
they existed.
-------------------
Michael Kotler
mek...@aol.com

"Rather than blow 2-months's salary on an engagement ring, like the greedy diamond industry wants you to, instead spend 1-weeks salary on the ring, and put the remaining 7-weeks salary into a college fund for your children to come.
100 years from now it won't matter how expensive the rock was. But the kind of education you provided for your family can make all the difference in the world. And no amount of black-and-white ads with sensual violin music can change that."

Ray Mullins

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
In article <3637ffc6...@news.cc.ukans.edu>,

Dave Schul <map...@ukanx.edu> wrote:
>l...@vatech.edu (Rush Wickes) wrote:
>
>>How about a 'misc.transport.road' face to face get together? While
>>we might not have a lot in memoriablia to sell or trade- surely some
>>of us could bring our map collections, road geek photos and anecdotes
>>to swap with other roadgeeks. If such a meeting were to be held, I'd
>>propose that it should occur in the Washington, DC area . That region
>>seems to be subject in many of our conversations as well as the
>>location of several major road construction projects in the near
>>future.
>>
>>Any opinions on this?
>
>Well, most of the 400 or so members of the Road Map Collectors of
>America ( http://roadmaps.org ) are roadgeeks, more or less, and we
>get together on a Friday-Saturday every September in the Chicago area.
>I had the pleasure of meeting several of the m.t.r regulars there this
>year.
>
>The venue has the honor of being located at the intersection of two
>(formerly) transcontinental US Routes (6 and 41). Not much happens
>after about 2:00 on that Saturday, and it probably would easy to have
>an m.t.r get-together at the same place that afternoon/evening. Plus,
>anyone interested in picking up a few more 20s maps (or just wanting
>to look at some) can sort through about 50 displays that morning.
>
>If anyone would like me to look into organizing something like this,
>let me know. Please use the email address in the sig.

Dave, don't forget the West Coast sub-meet in Visalia or Tulare...

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins (http://www.lerctr.org/~mrm/) from Roseville, California
California Transit Publications - your one stop shop for transit marketing,

I 890Aaron

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
I am a roadgeek from the friendly skies as well!

! I remember flying back from tampa i could tell we were crossing I-10
somewhere near jacksonville just by the angle of the road. what else would it
have been?

On the way back from spain i took a picture of an island a few minutes before
JFK. I looked at my NY gazateer and it was the last island on LI (fire
island?) It was unmistakable.

One time landing in albany NY we had to go all the way to Clifton park to do a
180 and i could tell where we were just because of the I-87 interchange
configuration.

I love flying, I remember landing in Tel Aviv and looking at the highways with
trumpet interchanges in a field of endless golden sand

pastor...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
APri...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <363873ed...@news.newsguy.com>,

> hbel...@mis.nyet wrote:
> > l...@vatech.edu (Rush Wickes) wrote:
<SNIP>

> How bout we also have state chapters and metropolitan chapter conventions..for
> in my case Pittsburgh area and Pennsylvania would be great...that way at least
> we can meetface to face with our fellow local road geeks
> --
> Adam Prince
>

> "Merge Here...Take your turn"
> ---PennDot

Now that's an Idea. Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky could meet in Cincinatti or
Covington (Always the site of Construction). HB Elkins and I are in this
regin, WHO else?

--
Mike Crain-email at
(text only) pastor2bm...@juno.com
(other) micrai...@erinet.com

nwp...@student.berklee.edu

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
In article <3638C6FF...@brunnet.net>,
pki...@brunnet.net wrote:

> I just thought of something:
>
> Why don't we hold 4-5 different conventions and be linked by video
> confrencing?

Forgive me for this brief unrelated rant, but why didn't anybody tell me when
"conference" became a verb? Last I knew, the root verb was "confer". If
anybody wants to dialogue on this, maybe we can interface via e-mail.

NP

BCBA

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
i never fly without a map either...usually the FAA maps (but i keep
others handy for reference)

always thought it was cool that almost as soon as you get in the air in
Buffalo, Cleveland, or DC, you can see the steam rising from the
Shippingport nuclear station northwest of Pittsburgh. and having driven
most all of the roads in the area, it's great fun to be looking down at
"THE map."

--bruce

BCBA

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
maybe we could just look at your house on the Microsoft Terraserver

plan the meeting on a day when the satellite is going over

-- bruce

Kyle Levenhagen

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
Michael Kotler wrote:

> On 30 Oct 1998 01:05:55 GMT, dsem...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu
> (Darren Stuart Embry) wrote:
>
> >One activity you could do to kill some time on a flight, when the sky
> >is clear, is to see if you can recognize any of the roads you see
> >along the way. This is especially cool if you're flying over places
> >you have never been before.
>
> I'm an old hand at this. Here are my tricks of the trade.
>
> 1. Get a window seat (duh!), but make sure that you are not right on
> top of the wing. And it is better to be behind the wing rather than
> in front of it; it is more frustrating to recognize stuff and have
> them disappear, than to have them suddenly appear then fade out
> slowly. Be careful of the rear seats on DC-9 or MD-80 series
> aircraft; the engine blocks the view and some aft seats have no
> windows at all. Some online reservation systems let you pick the seat
> from a map of the aircraft, including United's web site (you can
> reserve for ANY airline there). One thing I have not yet mastered is
> deciding which side of the plane to sit, since routes vary with the
> wind (literally!) and other factors. But if there is, say, one
> cardinal direction you want to observe, you may have to do some mental
> 3D imaging to determine your side. Note: if you are flying east-west,
> get a seat on the north side, as the sun's glare is less bothersome.

Usually. There are other factors that play into this. If you're doing
this sometime during the early-evening in summer, the south side of the
plane may actually be better since the sun sets more in the NW.

> 2. Bring maps with you. I just use an ordinary Rand McNally road
> atlas, because it covers every state and doesn't get messy folding it
> up. If you're more adventurous, you might want to try FAA sectional
> maps. These can be purchased at any general aviation facility, and
> cost about $7 each for each "section" of the United States; get the
> ones you'll be flying through. (If you have a friend who is a pilot,
> ask him/her for their old maps, as FAA regulations mandate updating
> maps every year for flight plans.) The aviation maps are good because
> they help with visual cues that pilots are expected to see, including
> RR's, power lines, topographical features, and of course highways,
> though they are not always numbered. FAA sectional maps also show the
> "Victor Airways" or the proscribed paths usually taken by commercial
> jets, aiding following along even more. Another option would be a
> CD-ROM map on a notebook/laptop computer (I never tried this) but I
> doubt this one because (a) seek times can be frustratingly slow on
> those disks, possibly enough for your target to pass out of view, (b)
> it's annoying geting them through security, and (c) you cannot use
> "approved electronic devices" during much of the flight, especially
> during the critical take-off and landing times, when roads are the
> clearest.
>
> If you forgot a map, one alternative is to have pencil and paper, and
> sketch any unique looking interchanges or junctions. Then upon
> arrival, cross check it with your approximate location on a map.

Seasoned road geeks don't need maps. :) Rand McNally's do help, though.
State highway maps also help, if you have them.

<Major snippage> :)

> The first time you try road geeking from the air, you may be in for a
> few surprises -- even for roads you are familiar with. For example,
> I've often spotted cloverleafs and ramps-to-nowhere where I never knew
> they existed.

The first things I ever spotted from the air were the Ohio River and
Macon, GA/I-75 while on a flight from Milwaukee to Orlando. I didn't
even need maps. I was 14.

Interesting things I've seen from a plane (without maps):

Both sides of Lake Michigan at the same time.

Champaign-Urbana, IL. At the time, the U of I was actually FIFTH on my
list of colleges. :)

Downtown Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Washington.

Naval vessels docked in the James River (Virginia).

Kyle

Bill Cohen

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
This summer I flew from LAX to PHX and happened to be alongside a
passenger with a new toy, a GPS device. This toy was about the size of a
large pager and had a display that should show the map of the region on
10 different scales. The tightest showed each street, the widest was
about 1 inch.100 mile IIRC.

It also showed elapsed speed, miles traveled, miles from start point (2
quite diffferent numbers unless you have traveled in a straight line)
current speed, average speed and similar goodies. I remember watching CA-
78 and US-95 show up on the map literally seconds before they came into
view from my window.

The flight attendant was also fascinated by this device and had to show
it to the pilot, he confirmed that the altitude and airspeed readings
were accurate with his cockpit readings. I had to continue from PHX to
Tampa that day, but the GPS guy got off in PHX and I really missed him
and his toy the rest of the trip, You can pick one up in a sporting
goods (camping) store for about 5 bills, if you can afford it they are
worth it. Also, the airline I was on (america west) says they are
permitted, but other airlines may not.

On a related note, if you can arrange it, choose a smaller commuter plane
over a larger jet. They are slower, and fly lower so the views are even
better,
I often fly from Ontario CA to LAX to connect to a longer flight, it is a
50 mile flight of pure sightseeing fun, many airlines dont even charge
for it so my ONT-LAX-TPA flihgt is the same price as if I had started at
LAX. I believe you can do that in may cities. When I lived in Lansing,
airfares were similar to those in Detroit, although we had to fly a
commuter to Detroit to get the nonstops. Aside from being a roadgeek,
I am also an airline geek, e-mail me if you want some advice about
cheap fun ways to take yuur next flight.

It is easier to teach Economics to a Democrat,
than Compassion to a Republican.

apo...@step.mother.com

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
Darren Stuart Embry <dsem...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu> wrote:

: One activity you could do to kill some time on a flight, when the sky
: is clear, is to see if you can recognize any of the roads you see
: along the way. This is especially cool if you're flying over places
: you have never been before.

On a recent trip from Sacramento to San Diego, the plane flew alone CA-99
for much of its route. I was able to identify every town between Fresno
and Sacramento, and was even able to spot MY MOTHER'S HOUSE in Ripon
(near Modesto.) How is that for eagle-eyes? Had I had binoculars, I may
have been able to see if the truck was in the driveway or not!

--
James D. Umbach | apostle (at) mother.com
Citrus Heights, California | my web site: http://www.mother.com/~apostle

pkirby

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
nwp...@student.berklee.edu wrote:

> In article <3638C6FF...@brunnet.net>,
> pki...@brunnet.net wrote:
>

> > Why don't we hold 4-5 different conventions and be linked by video
> > confrencing?
>
> Forgive me for this brief unrelated rant, but why didn't anybody tell me when
> "conference" became a verb? Last I knew, the root verb was "confer". If
> anybody wants to dialogue on this, maybe we can interface via e-mail.
>
> NP

Interesting. I thought "video confrencing", when used together, is a
noun.

pkirby

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
pastor...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Now that's an Idea. Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky could meet in Cincinatti or
> Covington (Always the site of Construction).

New England and NY would meet in Boston (home of the Big Dig). We have
Paul, Ron, Mike M and others in the area, Steve and Ralph in NYC, JPW
and NP upstate. Of course, I could come down from eastern Canada.

Will Flor

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
In article <71d4qa$bse$1...@your.mother.com>, <apo...@step.mother.com> wrote:
>Darren Stuart Embry <dsem...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu> wrote:
>
>: One activity you could do to kill some time on a flight, when the sky
>: is clear, is to see if you can recognize any of the roads you see
>: along the way. This is especially cool if you're flying over places
>: you have never been before.
>
>On a recent trip from Sacramento to San Diego, the plane flew alone CA-99
>for much of its route. I was able to identify every town between Fresno
>and Sacramento, and was even able to spot MY MOTHER'S HOUSE in Ripon
>(near Modesto.) How is that for eagle-eyes? Had I had binoculars, I may
>have been able to see if the truck was in the driveway or not!

Wow; that's pretty good. I thought I was good when, during last month's
flight from ORD to STL, a flight that's almost right over I-55 much of the
way, I recognized a rest area from the air (Coal Fields Rest Area). You have
me beat hands down!

-Will Flor wi...@will-flor.spamblock.com
Appropriately adjust my return address to reach me via e-mail.

Mark F

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
<apo...@step.mother.com> wrote:
>On a recent trip from Sacramento to San Diego, the plane flew alone CA-99
>for much of its route. I was able to identify every town between Fresno
>and Sacramento, and was even able to spot MY MOTHER'S HOUSE in Ripon
>(near Modesto.) How is that for eagle-eyes? Had I had binoculars, I may
>have been able to see if the truck was in the driveway or not!

In a similar vein, the flight from Orange County to San Jose goes
above US 101 for a good portion of the flight.

One thing I hate is when they tell you to close the window shade for
the movie. I'd rather watch the show outside, you can see a movie any
day.

Mark
http://users.deltanet.com/~mkpl/road.htm

Dave Schul

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
m...@lerami.lerctr.org (Ray Mullins) wrote:

>In article <3637ffc6...@news.cc.ukans.edu>,

>Dave Schul <map...@ukanx.edu> wrote:
>>l...@vatech.edu (Rush Wickes) wrote:

Oh, I'm not forgetting that...it's just that the national meet is
about 5x as large, and more centrally located.

Speaking of the RMCA sub-meets, the idea seems to be taking off. So
far there have been regional meets in Tulare, Kansas City, Baltimore,
and Denver. Hope to see a few more next year. Any volunteers?
Dave Schul da...@roadmaps.org
Freelance Geographer http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~dschul
President, Road Map Collectors of America http://www.roadmaps.org
Lawrence, Kansas Home of the Jayhawks

Note: this was posted from a false address to obstruct spammers --
Please reply to the address above.

leopard

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

pastor...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<71chus$i3v$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <71aa3f$i69$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

>> How bout we also have state chapters and metropolitan chapter
conventions..for
>> in my case Pittsburgh area and Pennsylvania would be great...that way at
least
>> we can meetface to face with our fellow local road geeks
>> --
>> Adam Prince
>>
>> "Merge Here...Take your turn"
>> ---PennDot

>Now that's an Idea. Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky could meet in Cincinatti or
>Covington (Always the site of Construction). HB Elkins and I are in this
>regin, WHO else?

You missed my post (but then again I missed you on it, so we're even)! But
you (and Kirby's reply) showed that this thread might be getting out of
hand. Our guesses on who lives near each other are getting more and more
sporadic.
My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.
Just state your name, your control city (closest recongnizable city name),
and your actual address (no, you don't need to give us your mailing address,
just the actual town you call home.)
I'll give an example (thus starting this) by giving mine.

NAME: SJG (Leopard on newsreader heading)

CONTROL CITY: Columbus, Ohio

ACTUAL HOME: (I have it rougher than most. My postal home, telephone home,
and town we do most of our activity at are all different. Thus my refrain,
Middle of Nowhere, Ohio) Marengo, Oh. (I'm going with the postal one)

If everyone would be kind enough to follow up, we can figure out where the
"best" place for *all* to meet at would be. And maybe give me enough ammo
to make St. Louis where we should meet (IMHO :-).

>--
>Mike Crain-email at
>(text only) pastor2bm...@juno.com
>(other) micrai...@erinet.com

SJG - again

Michael Moroney

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
<apo...@step.mother.com> wrote:
>On a recent trip from Sacramento to San Diego, the plane flew alone CA-99
>for much of its route. I was able to identify every town between Fresno
>and Sacramento, and was even able to spot MY MOTHER'S HOUSE in Ripon
>(near Modesto.) How is that for eagle-eyes? Had I had binoculars, I may
>have been able to see if the truck was in the driveway or not!

I was able to spot some relatives' house, which I was at about two weeks
before, from a plane. I knew what to look for - spot Lake Ontario
(trivial), then a huge nuclear power plant cooling tower, then NY 481,
then "follow" it to the right exit, and "follow" the minor county routes.

-Mike

Dave Schul

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
"leopard" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:

>You missed my post (but then again I missed you on it, so we're even)! But
>you (and Kirby's reply) showed that this thread might be getting out of
>hand. Our guesses on who lives near each other are getting more and more
>sporadic.
>My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.
>Just state your name, your control city (closest recongnizable city name),
>and your actual address (no, you don't need to give us your mailing address,
>just the actual town you call home.)

NAME: Dave Schul

CONTROL CITY:
Westbound: Topeka
Eastbound: Kansas City

ACTUAL HOME: Lawrence, Kansas

NOMINATION FOR MEETING PLACE: Chicago area or St Louis area

Dave Schul

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

Brandon M. Gorte

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
leopard (bt...@bright.net) wrote:
: pastor...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message

: <71chus$i3v$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
: >In article <71aa3f$i69$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
: >
[...]

Hmmm, a "roll call" of m.t.rers.

Fine,

Brandon Gorte

Houghton, MI
Joliet (Bolingbrook), IL

(read this as you would read a big green sign.)

Here lies Bud
thin as a dime.
His car hit a tree
on i-99.

RVDroz

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
<snipped every thing>

> NAME: RVDroz
>
> CONTROL CITY: Tampa, FL
>
> ACTUAL HOME: Bartow, FL

Happy Motoring! _________
Robert V. Droz ( us...@earthlink.net ) |______|_\__
U.S. Highways : From US 1 to (US 830) |______|_|__\
http://home.earthlink.net/~us98/UShwy.htm () ()

Mike Ballard

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Name : Mike Ballard

Control City : Los Angeles, Palmdale, Sacramento (I live near the junction of
I-5 and CA 14)

Actual City : Santa Clarita, California

nwp...@student.berklee.edu

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
In article <363A1F...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu>,
Kyle Levenhagen <leve...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Michael Kotler wrote:

> > 2. Bring maps with you. I just use an ordinary Rand McNally road
> > atlas, because it covers every state and doesn't get messy folding it
> > up.

> Seasoned road geeks don't need maps. :) Rand McNally's do help, though.
> State highway maps also help, if you have them.

DeLormes are also great for intra-state travel.

> Interesting things I've seen from a plane:

Toronto at night (looked like a circuit board)
Paris at night (looked like an illuminated Easter egg)
Endless housing tracts on Long Island
Mount Hood (?), not below but directly to the left! on the descent into PDX
Washington Monument way in the distance (out of Dulles)
Shenandoah River (wiggly!)
I-35
The width of Delaware at one time
Two states I've never been in on land: MO and KY

NP

nwp...@student.berklee.edu

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
In article <363A1A2D...@brunnet.net>,

pki...@brunnet.net wrote:
> nwp...@student.berklee.edu wrote:
> >
> > In article <3638C6FF...@brunnet.net>,
> > pki...@brunnet.net wrote:
> >

> > > Why don't we hold 4-5 different conventions and be linked by video
> > > confrencing?
> >
> > Forgive me for this brief unrelated rant, but why didn't anybody tell me when
> > "conference" became a verb? Last I knew, the root verb was "confer". If
> > anybody wants to dialogue on this, maybe we can interface via e-mail.
> >
> > NP
>
> Interesting. I thought "video confrencing", when used together, is a
> noun.

Well it's a gerund, but it shouldn't be. You could also hold a "video
conference".

nwp...@student.berklee.edu

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
In article <363A19CB...@brunnet.net>,
pki...@brunnet.net wrote:

> New England and NY would meet in Boston (home of the Big Dig). We have
> Paul, Ron, Mike M and others in the area, Steve and Ralph in NYC, JPW
> and NP upstate. Of course, I could come down from eastern Canada.

Actually, I'm in Boston at the moment (unfortunately).

bu...@hotmail.com

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
In article <363AA955...@earthlink.net>,
RVDroz <us...@earthlink.net> wrote:

NAME: Jeremy Lance
CONTROL CITY: Little Rock, AR
ACTUAL HOME: Conway, AR

pkirby

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
nwp...@student.berklee.edu wrote:
> > Interesting things I've seen from a plane:
>
> Toronto at night (looked like a circuit board)
> Paris at night (looked like an illuminated Easter egg)
> Endless housing tracts on Long Island
> Mount Hood (?), not below but directly to the left! on the descent into PDX
> Washington Monument way in the distance (out of Dulles)
> Shenandoah River (wiggly!)
> I-35
> The width of Delaware at one time
> Two states I've never been in on land: MO and KY

Some small town in Virginia
The city of Sherbrooke, Quebec
All of Long Island at once
Atlantic City, New Jersey

pastor...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

<SNIP>

> NAME: SJG (Leopard on newsreader heading)
>
> CONTROL CITY: Columbus, Ohio
>
> ACTUAL HOME: (I have it rougher than most. My postal home, telephone home,
> and town we do most of our activity at are all different. Thus my refrain,
> Middle of Nowhere, Ohio) Marengo, Oh. (I'm going with the postal one)
>
> If everyone would be kind enough to follow up, we can figure out where the
> "best" place for *all* to meet at would be. And maybe give me enough ammo
> to make St. Louis where we should meet (IMHO :-).
>

> >--
> >Mike Crain-email at
> >(text only) pastor2bm...@juno.com
> >(other) micrai...@erinet.com
>
> SJG - again

NAME: Mike Crain
Control City (and home) DAYTON, OH

--
Mike Crain-email at
(text only) pastor2bm...@juno.com
(other) micrai...@erinet.com

Tom Ketchum

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: Tom Ketchum
CONTROL CITY: Battle Creek, MI
ACTUAL HOME: Bronson, MI

Chris Geelhart

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
leopard wrote:
> My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.

NAME: Chris Geelhart

CONTROL CITIES: Chicago, St. Louis (I-55)

ACTUAL HOME: Springfield, Illinois

NOMINATION FOR MEETING PLACE: Chicago area or St. Louis area

Chris Geelhart
Springfield, IL
Dakota Highways Pages:

South Dakota http://www.dm.net/~chris-g/sdhwy.html
North Dakota http://www.dm.net/~chris-g/ndhwy.html

APri...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
In article <71e704$mmu$1...@cletus.bright.net>,
"leopard" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:
Adam Prince
Control City: PIttsburgh
Actual Home: Elziabeth,PA or Coraopolis, PA (school)

--
Adam Prince

"Merge Here...Take your turn"
---PennDot

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

----------

wrote:

>My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.

>Just state your name, your control city (closest recongnizable city name),
>and your actual address (no, you don't need to give us your mailing address,
>just the actual town you call home.)
>I'll give an example (thus starting this) by giving mine.
>

>NAME: SJG (Leopard on newsreader heading)
>
>CONTROL CITY: Columbus, Ohio
>
>ACTUAL HOME: (I have it rougher than most. My postal home, telephone home,
>and town we do most of our activity at are all different. Thus my refrain,
>Middle of Nowhere, Ohio) Marengo, Oh. (I'm going with the postal one)
>
>If everyone would be kind enough to follow up, we can figure out where the
>"best" place for *all* to meet at would be. And maybe give me enough ammo
>to make St. Louis where we should meet (IMHO :-).

NAME: Michael G. Koerner ('mgk920', 'WisGuy' on DALnet IRC)

CONTROL CITY: (when in Milwaukee, and I can never figure this one out) 'Fond
du Lac', (When in Green Bay) 'Appleton'.

ACTUAL HOME: Appleton, WI

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

The Josheyn Knight

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Brandon M. Gorte wrote:

> leopard (bt...@bright.net) wrote:
> : pastor...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
> : <71chus$i3v$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> : >In article <71aa3f$i69$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> : >
> : >> How bout we also have state chapters and metropolitan chapter
> : conventions..for
> : >> in my case Pittsburgh area and Pennsylvania would be great...that way at
> : least
> : >> we can meetface to face with our fellow local road geeks
>
> : >Now that's an Idea. Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky could meet in Cincinatti or
> : >Covington (Always the site of Construction). HB Elkins and I are in this
> : >regin, WHO else?
> : >
> : You missed my post (but then again I missed you on it, so we're even)! But
> : you (and Kirby's reply) showed that this thread might be getting out of
> : hand. Our guesses on who lives near each other are getting more and more
> : sporadic.
> : My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.

> : Just state your name, your control city (closest recongnizable city name),
> : and your actual address (no, you don't need to give us your mailing address,
> : just the actual town you call home.)
> : I'll give an example (thus starting this) by giving mine.
> :
> : NAME: SJG (Leopard on newsreader heading)
> :
> : CONTROL CITY: Columbus, Ohio
> :
> : ACTUAL HOME: (I have it rougher than most. My postal home, telephone home,
> : and town we do most of our activity at are all different. Thus my refrain,
> : Middle of Nowhere, Ohio) Marengo, Oh. (I'm going with the postal one)
> :
> : If everyone would be kind enough to follow up, we can figure out where the
> : "best" place for *all* to meet at would be. And maybe give me enough ammo
> : to make St. Louis where we should meet (IMHO :-).
>
> Hmmm, a "roll call" of m.t.rers.

yea!!!
<snip>

> (read this as you would read a big green sign.)
>
> Here lies Bud
> thin as a dime.
> His car hit a tree
> on i-99.

Then goes Bud
to the county morgue
he is as dead as you want
and the mtr newsgroup is as happy as it can be!

harv
http://www2.crosswinds.net/st-louis/~harv77/highways/
**note: another crosswinds.net server upgrade is in progress -- page
takes forever to download**

The Josheyn Knight

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Chris Geelhart wrote:

> leopard wrote:
> > My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.
>
> NAME: Chris Geelhart
>
> CONTROL CITIES: Chicago, St. Louis (I-55)
>
> ACTUAL HOME: Springfield, Illinois
>
> NOMINATION FOR MEETING PLACE: Chicago area or St. Louis area

Name: Kim Harvey
Control Cities: St. Louis, Louisville (I-64)
Actual Home (where the property taxes are among the higest in SoIL):
Nashville, IL
Nomination for meeting place: St. Louis, but will take Chicago or
Springfield (i know of a place where sold a T-shirt telling friends to
*avoid* I-55 -- take route 66!)

harv
http://www2.crosswinds.net/st-louis/~harv77/highways/

pkirby

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> NAME: Michael G. Koerner ('mgk920', 'WisGuy' on DALnet IRC)
>
> CONTROL CITY: (when in Milwaukee, and I can never figure this one out) 'Fond
> du Lac', (When in Green Bay) 'Appleton'.
>
> ACTUAL HOME: Appleton, WI

NAME: Janssen Patrick Kirby
CONTROL CITY: Fredericton, NB, CAN
ACTUAL HOME (getting a tad nostalgic): Marysville, NB

DukeNC1998

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: Mike
CONTROL CITIES: New York, Montauk (NY 27)
HOMETOWN: Massapequa, NY
COLLEGE TOWN: Durham, NC
(CONTROL CITIES): Greensboro, Richmond (I-85) OR Greensboro, Raleigh (I-40)

-Mike Tantillo
Massapequa (Long Island), NY, by NY 27, Sunrise Highway
and Durham, NC, by US 70 Bus., W. Main St.
"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself"
"The only thing you can count on is change"

Mike McManus

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: Mike McManus

CONTROL CITY: Downtown Rochester (I-590 NB ;-)

ACTUAL HOME: Rochester, NY

NFARS

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: Christopher Sampang
Control City: San Francisco or San Jose
Place of Residence: S.F. Peninsula
My name is Chris Sampang, but call me Calvin.
The Yitbox: http://geosucks.cjb.net
---
Caffinated drinks have a high influence on hyperness. I'm thirsty.

adam marc newman

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

NAME: Adam Newman

CITY: Champaign, IL (which I assume must be the control city on I-72,
although I've never been on it)

When I'm not at school:

CONTROL CITY: Chicago
CITY: Buffalo Grove, IL

Ray Mullins

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Me, too:

Name: M. Ray Mullins
Loc: Roseville, CA
WB Control City: Sacramento
EB Control City: Reno

Where to hold: A West Coast Chapter in northern California (Sacramento, San
Francisco Bay area) or central California (Fresno).

Later,
Ray
--
M. Ray Mullins (http://www.lerctr.org/~mrm/) from Roseville, California
California Transit Publications - your one stop shop for transit marketing,
publications, planning and web services at http://www.catransit.com/ TIPs:
http://socaltip.lerctr.org http://norcaltip.lerctr.org http://cencaltip.lerctr.org

James Lin

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: James Lin (I also go by Jim or Jimmy)

CONTROL CITY:
Oakland or San Francisco

ACTUAL HOME (during the school year): Berkeley, California

NOMINATION FOR MEETING PLACE: San Francisco Bay Area

- Jim
__________________________________

James Lin
jl...@ugcs.caltech.edu

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/

J.P. and Earl

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: J.P. Wing

CONTROL CITIES: WB - Buffalo, EB - Albany

LOC: Utica, New York

Jason Hancock

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, leopard wrote:

> My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.

> Just state your name, your control city (closest recongnizable city name),
> and your actual address (no, you don't need to give us your mailing address,
> just the actual town you call home.)

Name: Jason Hancock

Control cities: Davenport and Des Moines (I-80), Cedar Rapids (I-380)

Actual home: Iowa City, IA (currently); Davenport, IA (during vacation
breaks)

> If everyone would be kind enough to follow up, we can figure out where the
> "best" place for *all* to meet at would be. And maybe give me enough ammo
> to make St. Louis where we should meet (IMHO :-).

I wouldn't mind meeting in St. Louis or somewhere in the Midwest; how
about somewhere on Historic Route 66?

--Jason
<http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/6286>
"If you would like to be a contestant on 'Hit Man,' forget it!"
--Rod Roddy, announcing the final episode of this NBC
game show (1983)

Greg Pacek - CrazyOne

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Not really at high-level roadgeek status, but:

NAME: Greg Pacek

CONTROL CITY: Pittsburgh

ACTUAL HOME: Borough of Emsworth, PA, next to the infamous speedtrap of
Killbuck Township. And unlike some of the other little boroughs in this area,
Emsworth is on the main exit signs on I-79. (The borough limit is about a mile
from I-79 at the Ohio River crossing, north side of the river.)

You know, if you judged by those exits on I-79 between the two I-279 junctions,
you'd probably figure you weren't anywhere near Pittsburgh. Not one of these
exits mentions it. And if you're going northbound and skip the I-279 exit,
you'll never again see an exit that says Pittsburgh. (You can't get onto I-279
south from I-79 northbound (at the north juncture).) Seems kinda strange to
me.

--
craz...@SPAMXcity-net.com | "I say what it occurs to me to say
Greg Pacek | when I think I hear people say

Mark F

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
"leopard" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:

>...ask for a MTR Roll Call.

>Just state your name, your control city (closest recongnizable city name),
>and your actual address (no, you don't need to give us your mailing address,
>just the actual town you call home.)

NAME: Mark Furqueron

CONTROL CITY: Santa Ana (I-5)

ACTUAL HOME: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

David J. Greenberger

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Just before landing at Syracuse, NY, I spotted a particularly
attractive gasoline price at a Sunoco station. As soon as I got off
the plane, I hopped into my car, took I-81 one exit north (an
almost-wild guess), and there it was.

I was also impressed by a flight into LaGuardia. When I first looked
out the window, we were over Coney Island. We looped around to the
Battery (southern tip of Manhattan), went straight up Broadway into
the Bronx, and then looped back down to land.
--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

David J. Greenberger

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: David Greenberger
CONTROL CITY: Champaign-Urbana (or Urbana-Champaign, on WB I-74)
CITY: Urbana, IL

My true home has is in the control city of New York, and I often find
myself wandering to the control city of Ithaca (NY).

As for where we should meet, Chicago, St. Louis, or possibly
Indianapolis would be the most convenient for all in the Midwest. In
upstate NY, probably Rochester or Elmira would win, given where the
posters hail from. And, of course, somewhere in NYC for the NYC
region. I'll attend as many as I can, but of course that depends on
where I am at the time.

Jody L. Aho

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
DukeNC1998 wrote:

> NAME: Mike
> CONTROL CITIES: New York, Montauk (NY 27)
> HOMETOWN: Massapequa, NY
> COLLEGE TOWN: Durham, NC
> (CONTROL CITIES): Greensboro, Richmond (I-85) OR Greensboro, Raleigh (I-40)

So far, it looks like I might be one of the few posters where my
hometown is a control city for every highway passing through it:

Name: Jody Aho
Hometown: Duluth, MN
Control City: Duluth (for I-35, I-535, US-2, US-53, Minnesota highways
23, 61, 194, and 210) Duluth is also, as signed in a couple of places, a
control city along M-28 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Jody Aho
ja...@cp.duluth.mn.us
http://www.cp.duluth.mn.us/~jaho

Adam Froehlig

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
NAME: Adam Froehlig (Froggie)

CONTROL CITIES:
Westbound: Jackson, MS
Eastbound: Tuscaloosa, AL
Southbound: Laurel, MS / New Orleans, LA

ACTUAL HOME: Meridian, MS (really the Naval Air Station 15 miles north)

NOMINATION FOR MEETING PLACE: Preferebly somewhere along the
Mississippi. And I need to know at least a month in advance, else I
won't be able to take leave. We Sailors tend to work a lot...:o)

Froggie

Bartron

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

NAME: Matt Rose

CONTROL CITIES:
I-43 South - Milwaukee
I-43 North - US 41-141
US 41 South - Appleton
US 41/141 North - Marinette
WI 54-57 North - Sturgeon Bay

Actual hometown: Green Bay, WI.

I-43 southbound milepost 185 is almost in my backyard.

MaryKDan

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

Name: Dan Stober

Age: 34

Control City: Salt Lake

Actual residence: West Jordan, Utah

Nearest Numbered Route: U-154 (Bangerter Highway), and U-48 is a close second.

Nearest US Highway: US 89

Nearest Interstate: I-15

Nomination for a Meeting Place: My wife won't let me go ;-(

- Dan Stober
West Jordan, Utah

Alan Hamilton

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
On 30 Oct 1998 19:33:12 GMT, ERL...@prodigy.com (Bill Cohen) wrote:

>The flight attendant was also fascinated by this device and had to show
>it to the pilot, he confirmed that the altitude and airspeed readings
>were accurate with his cockpit readings. I had to continue from PHX to
>Tampa that day, but the GPS guy got off in PHX and I really missed him
>and his toy the rest of the trip, You can pick one up in a sporting
>goods (camping) store for about 5 bills, if you can afford it they are
>worth it. Also, the airline I was on (america west) says they are
>permitted, but other airlines may not.

I think they were mistaken -- AFAIK, any type of radio transmitter
*or* receiver is not permitted to be operated in flight (other than
those built into the plane, of course). Receivers tend to radiate
noise as the amplify the signal they're receiving.

And actually, if you've got a laptop computer already, you can get a
GPS receiver for under $150.
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Arizona Roads -- http://www.primenet.com/~alanh/road/
No ads, popups or watermarks ever

nwp...@student.berklee.edu

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
NAME: NWPerry
CITY: Rochester NY
ACTUAL: same
TEMPORARY: Boston MA

Oscar Voss

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Name: Oscar Voss

Control city: Washington DC

Residence: Arlington VA

Leave balance left for an m.t.r. convention in 1998 (after the two-
month Southwest road trip I just finished): negative, or close to it

--
Oscar Voss, Arlington, Virginia, ov...@erols.com
(NOTE: ov...@ibm.net is closed, but will forward mail sent there

Bill Cohen

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

>I think they were mistaken -- AFAIK, any type of radio transmitter
>*or* receiver is not permitted to be operated in flight (other than
>those built into the plane, of course). Receivers tend to radiate
>noise as the amplify the signal they're receiving.

The policy varies from airline to airline, and device to device, in this
case the pilots were aware and had no problem with it, although , I could
see it being a problem on other flights. Beleive it or not, not every
airline bans recievers, I remember being on a NW flight during the 1987
world series where the Minneapolis based flight crew was well aware of a
passengers batery powered TV in the row ahead f me, and he kept all of us
informed of the Twins progress He had to find a new affiliate every 15-
20 minutes but generally had no trouble getting te game.

Transmitters (eg cell phones) are a whole nother situation and are
required to be turned off when the aircraft pulls away from the gate.

I dont think I have ever have ever been asked to trun off my pager, and I
presume the GPS is more comparable to that type of device.

It is easier to teach Economics to a Democrat,
than Compassion to a Republican.

SPUI

Stevestr

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
NAME: Steve Ruge

CONTROL CITY: Chicago

ACTUAL CITY: Glenview, IL

MEETING PLACE NOMINATION: Chicago :)

Dave Schul wrote:

> "leopard" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:
>
> >You missed my post (but then again I missed you on it, so we're even)! But
> >you (and Kirby's reply) showed that this thread might be getting out of
> >hand. Our guesses on who lives near each other are getting more and more
> >sporadic.

> >My solution; change the heading, and ask for a MTR Roll Call.

> >Just state your name, your control city (closest recongnizable city name),
> >and your actual address (no, you don't need to give us your mailing address,
> >just the actual town you call home.)
>

> NAME: Dave Schul
>
> CONTROL CITY:
> Westbound: Topeka
> Eastbound: Kansas City
>
> ACTUAL HOME: Lawrence, Kansas
>
> NOMINATION FOR MEETING PLACE: Chicago area or St Louis area
> Dave Schul da...@roadmaps.org
> Freelance Geographer http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~dschul
> President, Road Map Collectors of America http://www.roadmaps.org
> Lawrence, Kansas Home of the Jayhawks
>
> Note: this was posted from a false address to obstruct spammers --
> Please reply to the address above.

- Stevestr mail to: Stev...@ix.netcom.com -
= Glenview, Illinois, USA browse: http://www.stevestr.org =
- "Think Different" -Apple "California Dreaming" -Myself -
= Spammers: Your mail will be delt with accordingly. =
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Matthew E. Salek

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Jody L. Aho wrote:

> So far, it looks like I might be one of the few posters where my
> hometown is a control city for every highway passing through it:
>
> Name: Jody Aho
> Hometown: Duluth, MN
> Control City: Duluth (for I-35, I-535, US-2, US-53, Minnesota highways
> 23, 61, 194, and 210) Duluth is also, as signed in a couple of places, a
> control city along M-28 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

It's also in Ontario on eastbound ON 11-17 at the turnoff for the west
Thunder Bay bypass (ON 310? I don't remember).

NAME: Matthew Salek
CONTROL CITIES:
Northbound: Cheyenne
Southbound: Denver
HOMETOWN: Fort Collins, Colo.

--
Later! - Matthew E. Salek, future civil engineer at Colorado State Univ.

Matthew Salek (Info) Highway, my website:
http://members.xoom.com/msalek

apo...@step.mother.com

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
NAME: James D. Umbach (Jim is fine)

CONTROL CITIES: I-80 west: Sacramento east: Reno

PRIMARY HOME: Citrus Heights, California, 10 minutes east of Sacramento on
I-80.

SECONDARY HOME: Ripon, California, 5 minutes north of Modesto on CA-99.
(Control Cities: N Stockton, S Modesto)

NOMINATION FOR MEETING PLACE: Any IHOP in the San Francisco area.
(Northern Cal seems to be home to a disproportionate number of roadgeeks.)

VEHICLES DRIVEN: 84 Nissan Pickup, 93 Geo Metro

FAVORITE ROAD ATLAS BRAND: Thomas Bros, no contest.

FAVORITE ROAD TRIP: Summer of '87, California to Kansas and back in a big
circle.

--
James D. Umbach | apostle (at) mother.com
Citrus Heights, California | my web site: http://www.mother.com/~apostle
USA | Instant Message-me at : JDUmbach
Need a lift? Try Christian Hope Network! christianho...@onelist.com
Want Intelligent transport discussion? caltranspor...@onelist.com

Texas HighwayMan

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
>> > Interesting things I've seen from a plane:

On a flight from Atlanta to Frankfurt:

Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York City from 34,000 feet at
night, London the next day.

--Brian Purcell
"Texas HighwayMan"
San Antonio, USA

E-mail:
hiwa...@express-news.net
Web site:
www.enconnect.net/greengrl
Includes:
-San Antonio Freeways/Texas Highways
-Getting Around Germany

Texas HighwayMan

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
apo...@step.mother.com wrote:
>On a recent trip from Sacramento to San Diego, the plane flew alone CA-99
>for much of its route. I was able to identify every town between Fresno
>and Sacramento, and was even able to spot MY MOTHER'S HOUSE in Ripon
>(near Modesto.) How is that for eagle-eyes? Had I had binoculars, I may
>have been able to see if the truck was in the driveway or not!

On my recent flight back from Chicago, we flew over San Marcos, Texas, and I
was able to see my parents' and my uncle's house. (They live on the same
street.)

Texas HighwayMan

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
NAME: Brian Purcell, aka "The Texas HighwayMan"

CONTROL CITY: San Antonio

ACTUAL HOME: Universal City, Texas, but moving into the city later this
month.

Patrick L. Humphrey

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Name: Patrick L. Humphrey (d'oh!)

CONTROL CITY: Houston

ACTUAL RESIDENCE: knee-deep in the Sharpstown part of Houston

NEAREST HIGHWAY: two blocks down the street, the current US 59 and future I-69

SUGGESTED MEETING PLACE: I'd vote for The Arena Formerly Known As The Summit,
as it's on 59, and Dale (the wife) and I are going to be there at least 40
more times this hockey season...:-)

--Patrick L. "of course, where I work -- Rice University -- is on South Main,
which _was_ US 59 before the Southwest Freeway was built some 35 years ago"
Humphrey

leopard

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98

I've had another thought about finding each others homes.
Does anyone, with a website, want to set up a page where you can see where
another road geek lives. (Wish me luck in...) Try to explain this. I know
of one website that has a map that shows where fans of a team live (the
example I'm using is from a New York (football) Giants' fan site, called the
Big Blue Wrecking Crew (abreviated as BBWC). Oh to see the site, its
www.bbwc.com , I hope).
I would think it would be a neat idea to go along with anyone's guest book
(sign my book and see where other road geeks live, that have visited my
site...).
I will be the first to confess that I have no clue on how to make this work,
but I figure one of you would know how to make this happen and go with the
idea (you have my permission :-).
This way we don't need to see a list of where everyone lives to figure out
where the most optimal place for all of us to meet at. Just look at the map
and use a combination of math and geography skills to figure it out.

SJG

Todd Medley

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
NAME: Todd Medley

CONTROL CITY: Bellevue (I-405), Seattle (I-90 & I-5)

ACTUAL HOME: Redmond, WA

-- Todd Medley
http://www.halcyon.com/integra/welcome.html

Work for something because it is good,
not just because it stands a chance to succeed. -- Vaclav Havel

Zach Maillard

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Name: Zach Maillard
Control City: Spokane, Washington
Actual Home: Moscow, Idaho

Later,
Zach Maillard

Cartography Major/Computer Science Minor at the University of Idaho

Visit my Idaho Highways' Homepage:
http://www.uidaho.edu/~mail9492/
or
http://users.moscow.com/idahohwy/

Jeffrey Le Cates

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
NAME: Jeff Le Cates

CONTROL CITY: Sacramento, CA

ACTUAL HOME: Dixon/Davis, CA

Ooh, that was easy.

-----
Jeff Le Cates
To send a reply via e-mail, replace "spamfilter" with
"verio"

"It's free, so technically, we can't disappoint you!"
- Conan O'Brien

It is loading more messages.