AZ-NM-tx-OK-AR-TN-KY-OH Road trip (part 2)

Sandor G

Sep 15, 2001, 11:11:07 AM9/15/01
Where was I....? Oh yes crossing the Colorado River along I-10 from
California to Arizona before all hell broke loose.
One last note about California before I go on to Arizona. I did not find
I-10 out there to be anything out of the ordinary. If I had to do it all
over, I probably would of stayed on I-10 to Phoenix and gone north on I-17
if only to pickup a couple more counties to have traveled through.

Arizona
I-10 W to Business Loop 40 W (Kingman) to I-40 W to Business loop 40 W
(Holbrook) to I-40 W

What's with bridging all the pipes over the Colorado River with I-40? (At
least they are done up nice)
Arizona (and New Mexico) are the only states I've encountered that are
attempting to put art into their Interstate bridge work beyond landscaping
(and no, Soundwall artwork does not count). However, sky blue with pink (or
earth tones) colors on your bridges?!? I know we're trying to debunk the
'Roadgeeks are only males...' persona, but please!
What's with Sunshine Overpass east of Flagstaff on I-40?
I found it funny that US 66 was still commissioned on several Arizona Rest
Area maps.
Every interchange with another freeway along I-40, from Flagstaff to
Oklahoma City (I-17, 25, 27, 35) is being reconstructed. (any other similar
experiences?)

New Mexico
I-40 W
Not only does New Mexico have Truth or Consequences, but you can live in the
town of Continental Divide as well. I-80/Wyoming markets the Continental
Divide much more than I-10/New Mexico does. Wyoming uses BGS to mention
the divide (and has the fortune to have I-80 go along the edge of the divide
basin, so they can mention the divide several times), where as New Mexico
just uses some tiny sign you'd expect to see along some two lane highway.
You get an Alberquerque next 17 exits sign along I-40
I saw a sign along I-40 in eastern New Mexico cautioning about intersections
along the way. I only saw one road come upon I-40 (at a T intersection).
Who runs all these Native American gift shops I saw along I-40 (old US 66)?
My first instinct when I see billboards for them is that they sell fake
stuff and are ran by unscrupulous people trying to take advantage of both
the
traveler and the *people* they are attempting to *represent.* Am I wrong
about this?
If one does the pattern of E-W interstates and matching US highway equaling
110 (I-80& US 30, I-70 & US 40, etc...). Why not I-44 from Chicago to Los
Angeles following US 66's routing?

Texas
I-40 W to US 287N to US 87S to I-40 W to US 287 E then back W to I-40 E to
US 83 S then back N to I-40 Business loop (Shamrock) E to I-40 E

"Ranch intersections" occur along I-40 in Oldham Co. I wouldn't worry about
traffic jumping out onto I-40 from them though. They are all gated and
fenced up.
I found it funny that one could find virtually no traffic in downtown
Amarillo
on a Friday night.
Why are US 287 & 87 separated into two different combination of one way
streets?
No one cares to put up signs with directions to EB I-40 from NB US 287?
Couple of memorances of US 66 in Shamrock and signs asking for help in
funding to restore an old gas station for US 66 historical purposes

Oklahoma
I-40 E to Ok 34 N to I-40 E to I-44 W to I-240 E to I-40 E

How many US 66 museums are there? How does one become an official museum
for the state or can claim to be the national museum? I ask because I
visited one that was signed as the "National" US 66 museum in Elk City, then
further east I see signs for the "State" US 66 museum near Clinton. While
in Elk City, I got caught at a parade so I ended up doubling back along Ok
34 to where I originally exited I-40.
Found it interesting that after US 270 *joined* I-40 Oklahoma had a BGS
mentioning that US 270 would be going along I-40 for the next 70 miles.
Anyone have any pictures of a US 40 and I-270 shield next to each other (to
go along with I-40 and US 270)
Plenty of signs warning travelers to avoid I-40/35 interchange in downtown
Oklahoma City. Then again the cloverleaf interchange between I-35 & I-240
looks very antiquated.
Strange to go over a very high bridge in a landlocked state (Arkansas River
which is made for LARGE boats to go along)

Arkansas
I-40 E to Ark 59 S & N to I-40 E to I-540 S to some street to downtown Ft.
Smith, then south on Business route US 71 to US 271 S to I-540 S, turned
around the first chance I had back in Oklahoma so now I was I-540 N to I-40
E to Ark 109 S to Ark 22 E to Ark 7 N to I-40 E

For good Ribs check out Neumeier's Rib Room (whatever size portion you think
you're getting, it will actually be twice as big) in Ft. Smith.
I take it US 271 ends at Business Route US 71 at the south end of Ft. Smith?
I take it I-540 ends at the Oklahoma state line?
If exit one for I-540 is I-40 (then increasing as you go south), then what
about the section going north towards Fayetteville?
Someone please run me through the Arkansas highway alphabet. A- alternate,
B- business, T- truck, E-?, S-? (any others?)
If I-40 was the reason Arkansas highways were claimed to be *bad,* then
their ranking should improve. There was plenty of repaving going along and
the only section of highway that was not driver friendly was between Little
Rock and Memphis (not the entire length but somewhere along the way)

Tennessee
I-40 E to various side streets in Memphis to I-240 N to I-40 E to Tenn 46 N
& S to I-40 E to I-65 N

Still repainting the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River
Saw no signs of any reconstruction at I-40 & I-240 in center Memphis.
On the other hand, plenty of earth moved at I-40/I-240/Sam Cooper Blvd.
Nothing else to report there though.
Does Tennessee have a problem putting up mileage signs for upcoming cities?
I-40 does go east past Nashville, right?
TennDOT does have the roadbed made up for I-840 west, but no pavement,
concrete, or bridges (other than I-40 over the to-be I-840) are up.
I take it RMN is wrong and I-265 does not exist in Nashville anymore (I-65
is signed where I-265 is mapped as).

Kentucky
I-65 N to Blue Grass Parkway E to US 60 E to Ky 4 N to Ky 922 N to I-75 N

I'd probably enjoyed my drive through Kentucky more if wasn't for the rain
back on Labor Day.
Nice rock cuts along the Blue Grass
Why is Ky 4 called New Circle Rd around Lexington? Where is (or was) Old
Circle Rd?
No signs mentioning the US routes bypass Lexington along New Circle Rd
Plenty of signs directing one from the Blue Grass Pkwy to I-75/64 and vice
versa.
Is the Lexington Airport named the Man-O-War Blvd Airport (I swear the signs
around it say so)?
Here's my idea for I-50. Mountain Pkwy west to I-64. Make a connector from
I-64/75 to New Circle Rd, then make US 60 interstate from New Circle Rd to
Blue Grass Pkwy. Then follow Blue Grass then Western Kentucky Pkwys to I-24
then the Purchase Pkwy south into Tennessee and upgrade US 51 around Union
City then use I-155 west to I-55.
KyDOT almost has I-75 3 lanes in each direction between Lexington & Cincy.
There are several areas where overpasses were built only for 2 lanes
however.
The *reach* of Cincinnati along I-75 is way south of I-71, I'd say
Williamstown.
Can't KyDOT & ODOT think up of any control points for I-275 other than
Airport and various roads (I-471, I-75, and Oh 32)
It's funny seeing BGSs attached to bridge trusses.

Ohio
I-71 N to I-270 CW to I-71 to US 36 to local roads home.

No exit numbers for NB I-75 & 71 (it supposed to be exits 1 A-M)
Nothing of note along Ft Washington Way (other than the stadium building)
You can see on some BGS for US 42 along I-71 where they used to mention US
25 as well.
Would of gotten a picture of the I-71 bridge over the Little Miami, but a
sign said the path to view the bridge was closed (then I see it appears to
be opened)
Nothing of note I-71@ US 35
Saw a spot along I-71 between the Pickaway-Franklin Co Line and US 62 where
there were 4 of Ohio's finest all waiting to knock off speeders within 200
yards of one another.
Signs for WB I-270 at the south interchange of I-71 give a control city of
Dayton (so do the north interchange of I-270 at I-71)
What did Urbancrest do to get auxiliary control city mention for WB I-270
from I-71?
I-70 WB control city is still Indy from I-270 on the westside of Columbus

So after 12 days I traveled 6,200 miles, 16 states, 100 counties, and alot
of roads.
With OSU starting Wednesday, photos will be trickling in as the year
progresses.

--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - The Dept. of Odds & Ends @ OSU

"Rocks are my pillow
The cold ground my bed
Highway is my home" -- Magic Slim

Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

Sep 15, 2001, 1:04:33 PM9/15/01
> I-40 does go east past Nashville, right?

Yes.

> I take it RMN is wrong and I-265 does not exist in Nashville anymore (I-65
> is signed where I-265 is mapped as).

Yes. It was resigned either last year or the year before. They thought it
would reduce congestion. I don't know about that in general, but it does
take traffic off of I-24 before and after Titans games. The stadium is right
off of I-24 and causes a lot of traffic headaches when there are games.

> Is the Lexington Airport named the Man-O-War Blvd Airport (I swear the
signs
> around it say so)?

There is a Man-O-War Blvd. that begins at the airport, but I don't think it
is the name of the airport.

--

// Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle: Computer Science Graduate Student at the
// University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Creator of StratoSetup,

TEXAS

Sep 15, 2001, 2:04:54 PM9/15/01

Yup. http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/arkansas/endus271b.jpg

> I take it I-540 ends at the Oklahoma state line?

Nope. It ends at the US 271 interchange. If you look closely, there is a
small green mile-marker type sign on the US 271 bridge on W/SB 540 that says
"END I-540". Also, the first marker west of this interchange is US 271 with
no mention of I-540. But then again, the Sebastian County traffic map that
I got off the AHTD website shows an exception over US 271 between the OK
line and US 271. So who knows...

> If exit one for I-540 is I-40 (then increasing as you go south), then what
> about the section going north towards Fayetteville?

The section south of I-40 was numbered in the 70's, and the section north
was numbered in the 90's. I am thinking that the Ft. Smith section will
eventually be renumbered with the US 271 interchange being either Exit 0 or
Exit 1.

> Someone please run me through the Arkansas highway alphabet. A-
alternate,
> B- business, T- truck, E-?, S-? (any others?)

A - alternate (very rare)
B - business http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/arkansas/050100/us278278b.jpg
C - City (defunct)
E - East (are there any of these left?)
S - Spur http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/submitted/arkansas/127S.jpg
T - Truck
W- West (defunct AFAIK)
Y - "Y" (forms a Y) http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/arkansas/ar176y.jpg

I can't recall off the top of my head there being any N or S routes in AR.
However, I might be wrong about that.

> If I-40 was the reason Arkansas highways were claimed to be *bad,* then
> their ranking should improve. There was plenty of repaving going along
and
> the only section of highway that was not driver friendly was between
Little
> Rock and Memphis (not the entire length but somewhere along the way)

AHTD has made great strides in repairing Interstates. A few years back, the
argument would have been valid. As it stands right now, MO has much worse
roads than AR.

Richard C. Moeur

Sep 15, 2001, 7:00:20 PM9/15/01
Sandor G wrote:

> Arizona
> I-10 W to Business Loop 40 W (Kingman) to I-40 W to Business loop 40 W
> (Holbrook) to I-40 W

OK, idle question: Which roadway was taken from I-10 to Kingman?

> What's with bridging all the pipes over the Colorado River with I-40? (At
> least they are done up nice)

That's the old US 66 bridge, being "recycled".

> Arizona (and New Mexico) are the only states I've encountered that are
> attempting to put art into their Interstate bridge work beyond landscaping
> (and no, Soundwall artwork does not count). However, sky blue with pink (or
> earth tones) colors on your bridges?!? I know we're trying to debunk the
> 'Roadgeeks are only males...' persona, but please!

I'll presume you're speaking of the I-40 bridge over
Navajo Blvd in Holbrook. Don't know of too many
other "colorful" bridges on I-40 in AZ (though there's
a number of them in NM).

> What's with Sunshine Overpass east of Flagstaff on I-40?

That's where I-40 crosses the BNSF mainline. It's also
the highest point for a distance, so the winds do
kick up a bit there - hence the windsocks (and yes,
a few RVs and trailers have been blown over in that
area).

> I found it funny that US 66 was still commissioned on several Arizona Rest
> Area maps.

Unfortunately, there's other errors as well. However,
map revisions are a lower priority than basic traveler
services.

--
Richard C. Moeur, P.E., WC7RCM, E.C.I., whatever...
Practicing Traffic Engineer (I'll get it right someday...)

Garrett Wollman

Sep 15, 2001, 11:13:28 PM9/15/01
In article <fdKo7.32932$ga2.1...@cletus.bright.net>,
Sandor G <bt...@bright.net> wrote:

>However, sky blue with pink (or earth tones) colors on your bridges?

The underpasses on the Massachusetts Turnpike Extension are painted in
a variety of colors, including blue (but not pink AFAIR). A study
funded by the Turnpike Authority found that the variety of colors
helps to reduce driver fatigue and ``tunnel vision'' along a roadway
which is largely depressed in an open cut through the cities of Newton
and Boston. (There is about a mile at grade between exit 17 and the
Market St., Brighton, underpass.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the same
wol...@lcs.mit.edu | O Siem / The fires of freedom

US71

Sep 15, 2001, 11:58:45 PM9/15/01
"TEXAS" <TEXAS...@aaroads.com> wrote in message news:<9o058t$adpi3$1...@ID-70131.news.dfncis.de>...

> "Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message
> > I take it US 271 ends at Business Route US 71 at the south end of Ft.
> Smith?
>
> Yup. http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/arkansas/endus271b.jpg
>
> > I take it I-540 ends at the Oklahoma state line?
>
> Nope. It ends at the US 271 interchange. If you look closely, there is a
> small green mile-marker type sign on the US 271 bridge on W/SB 540 that says
> "END I-540". Also, the first marker west of this interchange is US 271 with
> no mention of I-540. But then again, the Sebastian County traffic map that
> I got off the AHTD website shows an exception over US 271 between the OK
> line and US 271. So who knows...
>
> > If exit one for I-540 is I-40 (then increasing as you go south), then what
> > about the section going north towards Fayetteville?

It's also Exit 15 if you use the "new" 540's number scheme (it's even
posted as such)

> The section south of I-40 was numbered in the 70's, and the section north
> was numbered in the 90's. I am thinking that the Ft. Smith section will
> eventually be renumbered with the US 271 interchange being either Exit 0 or
> Exit 1.
>
> > Someone please run me through the Arkansas highway alphabet. A-
> alternate,
> > B- business, T- truck, E-?, S-? (any others?)
>
> A - alternate (very rare)
> B - business http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/arkansas/050100/us278278b.jpg
> C - City (defunct)
> E - East (are there any of these left?)
> S - Spur http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/submitted/arkansas/127S.jpg
> T - Truck
> W- West (defunct AFAIK)
> Y - "Y" (forms a Y) http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/arkansas/ar176y.jpg
>
> I can't recall off the top of my head there being any N or S routes in AR.
> However, I might be wrong about that.

N- North: not sure if anymore exist, but there used to be an AR 68N in
Springdale which later changed to 68B, which is now Spur 265 and Emma
Ave.

Seems like there used to be an AR 25N, but I'm not sure.

Also used to be an AR 27N, but it's now plain ol' AR27

The last W Route (I think) was AR 23W through Withrow Springs State
Park north of Hunstville (now just a park road).

I'll get my '01 Arkansas Map and verify the "N"

R.V. Droz

Sep 16, 2001, 12:06:38 AM9/16/01
Sandor G wrote:

> Oklahoma
> I-40 E to Ok 34 N to I-40 E to I-44 W to I-240 E to I-40 E

Pity you missed Lucille's, it was just sold on eBay.

> I take it RMN is wrong and I-265 does not exist in Nashville anymore (I-65
> is signed where I-265 is mapped as).

The 2002 RMcN has this change.
Happy Motoring! _________
Robert V. Droz ( us...@earthlink.net ) |______|_\__
U.S. Highways : From US 1 to (US 830) |______|_|__\
http://www.us-highways.com/ () ()

Sherman Cahal

Sep 16, 2001, 12:28:57 AM9/16/01

> Kentucky
> I-65 N to Blue Grass Parkway E to US 60 E to Ky 4 N to Ky 922 N to I-75 N
>
> I'd probably enjoyed my drive through Kentucky more if wasn't for the rain
> back on Labor Day.
> Nice rock cuts along the Blue Grass

It was built in the early-late 60's. Visit http://kyohwv.roadsites.org for
more information on this road.

> Why is Ky 4 called New Circle Rd around Lexington? Where is (or was) Old
> Circle Rd?

Nope. Never was an Old Circle Rd.

> No signs mentioning the US routes bypass Lexington along New Circle Rd
> Plenty of signs directing one from the Blue Grass Pkwy to I-75/64 and vice
> versa.
> Is the Lexington Airport named the Man-O-War Blvd Airport (I swear the
signs
> around it say so)?

Bluegrass Airport
I've never heard of Man-O-War BLVD Airport :-)

> Here's my idea for I-50. Mountain Pkwy west to I-64. Make a connector from
> I-64/75 to New Circle Rd, then make US 60 interstate from New Circle Rd to
> Blue Grass Pkwy. Then follow Blue Grass then Western Kentucky Pkwys to
I-24
> then the Purchase Pkwy south into Tennessee and upgrade US 51 around Union
> City then use I-155 west to I-55.

The connector is doomed. The NIMBY horse farm owners have protested it for
years. http://kyohwv.roadsites.org

> KyDOT almost has I-75 3 lanes in each direction between Lexington & Cincy.
> There are several areas where overpasses were built only for 2 lanes
> however.

Does it narrow back down to 2 or did KYDOT squeeze in 3 lanes?

> Ohio
> I-71 N to I-270 CW to I-71 to US 36 to local roads home.

> So after 12 days I traveled 6,200 miles, 16 states, 100 counties, and alot

> of roads.
> With OSU starting Wednesday, photos will be trickling in as the year
> progresses.

Very nice roadtrip!

--
--Sherman Cahal Network of Sites:
http://www.cahaltech.com

Chris Lawrence

Sep 16, 2001, 12:29:31 AM9/16/01
In <fdKo7.32932$ga2.1...@cletus.bright.net>, Sandor G wrote:
> For good Ribs check out Neumeier's Rib Room (whatever size portion you
> think you're getting, it will actually be twice as big) in Ft. Smith. I
> take it US 271 ends at Business Route US 71 at the south end of Ft.
> Smith? I take it I-540 ends at the Oklahoma state line? If exit one for
> I-540 is I-40 (then increasing as you go south), then what about the
> section going north towards Fayetteville? Someone please run me through
> the Arkansas highway alphabet. A- alternate, B- business, T- truck,
> E-?, S-? (any others?) If I-40 was the reason Arkansas highways were
> claimed to be *bad,* then their ranking should improve. There was
> plenty of repaving going along and the only section of highway that was
> not driver friendly was between Little Rock and Memphis (not the entire
> length but somewhere along the way)

About 5 years ago, before AHTD went on their "Pave The Way" spending
spree, this section of I-40 sucked, as did I-55 from W.M. to Missouri.

> Tennessee
> I-40 E to various side streets in Memphis to I-240 N to I-40 E to Tenn
> 46 N & S to I-40 E to I-65 N
>
> Still repainting the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River Saw no signs
> of any reconstruction at I-40 & I-240 in center Memphis. On the other
> hand, plenty of earth moved at I-40/I-240/Sam Cooper Blvd. Nothing else
> to report there though.

IIRC, the Midtown 240/40 interchange is a FY2002 thing. Memphis
interstates are going to be a mess for about 10 years, between both
240/40 interchanges, adding HOV to I-240 S/E, rebuilding the
I-55/Riverside/Crump interchange, and building I-69 (which probably means
HOV on I-240 Midtown too). Depending on where the third MS river bridge
goes, the mess could be even bigger (I've heard it may cross the river
near the DeSoto/Tunica line to tie into MS 304, in which case the mess
will at least be out of the way).

> Does Tennessee have a problem putting up mileage signs for upcoming
> cities? I-40 does go east past Nashville, right? TennDOT does have the
> roadbed made up for I-840 west, but no pavement, concrete, or bridges
> (other than I-40 over the to-be I-840) are up. I take it RMN is wrong
> and I-265 does not exist in Nashville anymore (I-65 is signed where
> I-265 is mapped as).

Ahem, that's TN 840... don't make us file an EIS on it :-)

I think paving is FY 2002. The gap in the middle from TN 100 to I-65 is
still allegedly on hold while the NIMBYs go forum-shopping, but it may
actually be progressing by now (TDOT's web site doesn't stay as
up-to-date as you'd like, though at least they bother putting stuff on it
about 840... 385 is a totally different matter).

And, yep, RIP I-265, even though my TripTik from AAA still claimed it
existed this year; thankfully I knew better.

Chris

Pete Jenior

Sep 16, 2001, 2:05:28 AM9/16/01

> > KyDOT almost has I-75 3 lanes in each direction between Lexington &
Cincy.
> > There are several areas where overpasses were built only for 2 lanes
> > however.
>
> Does it narrow back down to 2 or did KYDOT squeeze in 3 lanes?

Kentucky plans to widen all of I-75 to 3 lanes. They have been doing it in
pieces - there are some "isolated" 3 lanes stretches south of Lexington.
North of Lexington, 75 is still two lanes between (approximately) KY 32 near
Sadieville and the Crittenden exit.

Between Cincinnati and Lexington, KYTC (Kentucky Transportation Cabinet)
seems to have saved the toughest stretches for last. Some of the bridges
will have to be redone, and a giant ravine in the center/"median" will have
to be partially filled in.

According to KYTC, it will be "less than 10 years" until 75 is completely
widened to 3 lanes. I'll be able to keep an eye on this project during my
college-to-home trips...

--
full reply coming later, when I'm not so tired...
---

swissJohn29

Sep 16, 2001, 2:35:07 AM9/16/01
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message news:<fdKo7.32932$ga2.1...@cletus.bright.net>...

> Texas

> I-40 W to US 287N to US 87S to I-40 W to US 287 E then back W to I-40 E to
> US 83 S then back N to I-40 Business loop (Shamrock) E to I-40 E

I think I'm following you here but I'm not quite sure....

> "Ranch intersections" occur along I-40 in Oldham Co. I wouldn't worry about
> traffic jumping out onto I-40 from them though. They are all gated and
> fenced up.

This stretch of I-40 is the only section of interstate where I've ever
seen at-grade crossovers.

> I found it funny that one could find virtually no traffic in downtown
> Amarillo
> on a Friday night.

That's because for the past 30 years or so all the lodging, shopping,
and nightlife has been along I-40 and in the west and southwest parts
of town. There are a couple of restaurants downtown, but the only
crowds you'll see are when there is a concert or other event taking
place at the Civic Center. I remember while I lived up there, various
movements were in the works as far as trying to get a mid-rise
full-service-brand hotel to locate downtown, but years and years later
all the major lodging is still along I-40 (except a Days Inn at I-27
and Hollywood Rd.-Loop 335, and a Best Western in the hospital
district). The city council passed a no-cruising (the driving up and
down, not the other kind) ban on Polk St. (the once-thriving part of
downtown with shopping and movie theaters) in the late 60s (or maybe
early 70s), and that took quite a bit of customer base away. There
have been as many as 3 malls in town, which lured most of the chains
away from downtown as well.

> Why are US 287 & 87 separated into two different combination of one way
> streets?

This one may be a job for a certain Mr. Droz. It could be because of
how US 287 came in from the east (prior to the freeway system there)
along E. 10th St. and turned north on Buchanan (the current northbound
street it uses) while US 87 came in from the south on Fillmore prior
to the freeways, which would mean 87 and 287 were separate back then,
but some of the alignment north of E. 10th St. I might be incorrect
on, but I know that both Fillmore and Buchanan go under the former
Rock Island RR with classic 20s-30s-style bridges, meaning they are
much older than their current southbound counterparts. Pierce and
Taylor southbound go over the RR with newer bridges. Then somewhere
between Amarillo Blvd. (the former NE 8th) and NE 24th, along the
former River Road (before the advent of the Dumas Expwy.), the US 87
and US 287 alignments met up (uh, how about it R.V.??)

> No one cares to put up signs with directions to EB I-40 from NB US 287?

I hope you mean east of Amarillo as US 287 is about to merge with WB
I-40. If that is the case, I've never seen any helpful signage, nor
an explanation for lack of direct connection like a ramp. I've never
understood it, especially since there are 2 ways (Loop 228 and FM
1912) to get to I-40 eastbound, and TxDOT has had decades of time to
label one of the intersections.

Alan Hamilton

Sep 16, 2001, 5:19:08 AM9/16/01
On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:11:07 -0400, "Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net>
wrote:

>What's with bridging all the pipes over the Colorado River with I-40? (At
>least they are done up nice)

These are high-presure natural gas lines. The bridge is the old US 66
bridge.
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Arizona Roads -- http://www.arizonaroads.com

Adam Froehlig

Sep 16, 2001, 5:04:30 PM9/16/01
> Depending on where the third MS river bridge goes, the mess could
> be even bigger (I've heard it may cross the river near the
> DeSoto/Tunica line to tie into MS 304, in which case the mess
> will at least be out of the way).

The latest I heard from Memphis MPO is that the 3rd MS River Bridge will
not occur until after 2020. Currently, they're leaning towards a
President's Island routing.

Froggie | Long Beach, MS | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Alan Hamilton

Sep 16, 2001, 9:43:43 PM9/16/01
On 15 Sep 2001 23:35:07 -0700, us-...@juno.com (swissJohn29) wrote:

>> "Ranch intersections" occur along I-40 in Oldham Co. I wouldn't worry about
>> traffic jumping out onto I-40 from them though. They are all gated and
>> fenced up.
>
>This stretch of I-40 is the only section of interstate where I've ever
>seen at-grade crossovers.

The ones east of Albuquerque, NM are more noticeable because the
NMSHTO has signed them, albeit with a "TEMPORARY" banner (they've been
there for years). See http://www.arizonaroads.com/us70/907p.htm for
some pictures.

R.V. Droz

Sep 17, 2001, 11:44:27 PM9/17/01
swissJohn29 wrote:

> "Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message news:<fdKo7.32932$ga2.1...@cletus.bright.net>...

> > Why are US 287 & 87 separated into two different combination of one way
> > streets?
>
> This one may be a job for a certain Mr. Droz. It could be because of
> how US 287 came in from the east (prior to the freeway system there)

Search me. I have no idea why they did it that way, my earliest map showing Amarillo streets is from 1975.

Sandor G

Sep 17, 2001, 11:51:55 PM9/17/01
TEXAS <TEXAS...@aaroads.com> wrote in message

> "Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message
> > Someone please run me through the Arkansas highway alphabet. A-
> alternate,
> > B- business, T- truck, E-?, S-? (any others?)
>
> A - alternate (very rare)
> B - business http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/arkansas/050100/us278278b.jpg

Saw that in Ft. Smith in conjunction with US 71

> C - City (defunct)
> E - East (are there any of these left?)
> S - Spur http://www.aaroads.com/nofrills/submitted/arkansas/127S.jpg

Now I took a picture (and of course it's blurry) and between Dardanelle &
Russellville along Ark 7 I got a S on one shield and either a T or an E on
another shield (all state routes).

Sandor G

Sep 18, 2001, 12:03:05 AM9/18/01
Richard C. Moeur <rcm...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Sandor G wrote:
> >
> > Arizona
> > I-10 W to Business Loop 40 W (Kingman) to I-40 W to Business loop 40 W
> > (Holbrook) to I-40 W
>
> OK, idle question: Which roadway was taken from I-10 to Kingman?

Uhh (trying to remember 3 weeks back)? Some street from I-40 to a State
traveller's Info Center in Kingman.

> > What's with bridging all the pipes over the Colorado River with I-40?
(At
> > least they are done up nice)
>
> That's the old US 66 bridge, being "recycled".

Oh!

> > Arizona (and New Mexico) are the only states I've encountered that are
> > attempting to put art into their Interstate bridge work beyond
landscaping
> > (and no, Soundwall artwork does not count). However, sky blue with pink
(or
> > earth tones) colors on your bridges?!? I know we're trying to debunk
the
> > 'Roadgeeks are only males...' persona, but please!
>
> I'll presume you're speaking of the I-40 bridge over
> Navajo Blvd in Holbrook. Don't know of too many
> other "colorful" bridges on I-40 in AZ (though there's
> a number of them in NM).

That one sticks out since I stayed overnight in Holbrook, but that wasn't
one of the culprits I was thinking of.
Maybe it was more New Mexico instead of Arizona.

> > What's with Sunshine Overpass east of Flagstaff on I-40?
>
> That's where I-40 crosses the BNSF mainline. It's also
> the highest point for a distance, so the winds do
> kick up a bit there - hence the windsocks (and yes,
> a few RVs and trailers have been blown over in that
> area).

What is BNSF? And how high is that area of I-40 (just as a comparison to
I-80 in Wyoming & California) ?

> --
> Richard C. Moeur, P.E., WC7RCM, E.C.I., whatever...
> Practicing Traffic Engineer (I'll get it right someday...)
> Phoenix, Arizona, USA
> "Life is just one W1-5 after another, until the W14-1"
> The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of
> the Arizona Department of Transportation. Really.
> WWW: http://members.aol.com/rcmoeur/
> E-Mail: rcm...@aol.com, NOT rcm...@earthlink.net. Tnx!

Sandor G

Sep 18, 2001, 12:14:11 AM9/18/01
Chris Lawrence <qua...@watervalley.net> wrote in message

> In <fdKo7.32932$ga2.1...@cletus.bright.net>, Sandor G wrote:

> > Tennessee
> > I-40 E to various side streets in Memphis to I-240 N to I-40 E to Tenn
> > 46 N & S to I-40 E to I-65 N
> >
> > Still repainting the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River Saw no signs
> > of any reconstruction at I-40 & I-240 in center Memphis. On the other
> > hand, plenty of earth moved at I-40/I-240/Sam Cooper Blvd. Nothing else
> > to report there though.
>
> IIRC, the Midtown 240/40 interchange is a FY2002 thing. Memphis
> interstates are going to be a mess for about 10 years, between both
> 240/40 interchanges, adding HOV to I-240 S/E, rebuilding the
> I-55/Riverside/Crump interchange, and building I-69 (which probably means
> HOV on I-240 Midtown too). Depending on where the third MS river bridge
> goes, the mess could be even bigger (I've heard it may cross the river
> near the DeSoto/Tunica line to tie into MS 304, in which case the mess
> will at least be out of the way).

Maybe I don't want to think about moving to Memphis. :-)

> > Does Tennessee have a problem putting up mileage signs for upcoming
> > cities? I-40 does go east past Nashville, right? TennDOT does have the
> > roadbed made up for I-840 west, but no pavement, concrete, or bridges
> > (other than I-40 over the to-be I-840) are up. I take it RMN is wrong
> > and I-265 does not exist in Nashville anymore (I-65 is signed where
> > I-265 is mapped as).
>
> Ahem, that's TN 840... don't make us file an EIS on it :-)

Oh, you're going the Arizona route on this project? I thought Tennessee was
going to rename it I-840 after they completed it (whenever).

> I think paving is FY 2002. The gap in the middle from TN 100 to I-65 is
> still allegedly on hold while the NIMBYs go forum-shopping, but it may
> actually be progressing by now (TDOT's web site doesn't stay as
> up-to-date as you'd like, though at least they bother putting stuff on it
> about 840... 385 is a totally different matter).

I either heard or saw something about that mid section progessing (something
dealing with land IIRC)

> And, yep, RIP I-265, even though my TripTik from AAA still claimed it
> existed this year; thankfully I knew better.

So much for using a 2000 Rand McNally Atlas.

> Chris

Sandor G

Sep 18, 2001, 12:07:24 AM9/18/01
R.V. Droz <us...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Sandor G wrote:
>
> > Oklahoma
> > I-40 E to Ok 34 N to I-40 E to I-44 W to I-240 E to I-40 E
>
> Pity you missed Lucille's, it was just sold on eBay.

I don't get it

TEXAS

Sep 18, 2001, 12:46:18 AM9/18/01

> Now I took a picture (and of course it's blurry) and between Dardanelle &
> Russellville along Ark 7 I got a S on one shield and either a T or an E on
> another shield (all state routes).

That would be AR 7T.

Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

Sep 18, 2001, 1:34:38 AM9/18/01
> > Ahem, that's TN 840... don't make us file an EIS on it :-)
>
> Oh, you're going the Arizona route on this project? I thought Tennessee
was
> going to rename it I-840 after they completed it (whenever).

That is the idea.

They don't want to call it I-840 because building it as an interstate
requires the environmental impact study. Since they don't want to do that,
TNDOT is building it as an interstate standard road with a state route
number. When it is done they hope to have it entered into the interstate
system.

The fact that TNDOT intends it to be an interstate is one of the reasons one
section has been held up in court. The party that brought the lawsuit wanted
TNDOT to do an EIS since it is eventually intended to be an interstate.

There were some recent developments regarding the lawsuit. There are links
to articles about that here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=lhWk7.4600%24oG....@vixen.cso.ui
uc.edu&num=100

Damon Scott Hynes

Sep 18, 2001, 8:09:49 AM9/18/01

> > That's where I-40 crosses the BNSF mainline. It's also
> > the highest point for a distance, so the winds do
> > kick up a bit there - hence the windsocks (and yes,
> > a few RVs and trailers have been blown over in that
> > area).
>
> What is BNSF? And how high is that area of I-40 (just as a comparison to
> I-80 in Wyoming & California) ?

Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway. In that area, it's the former
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe.

--
---

All I want for Christmas is Osama Bin Laden swinging from a phone pole.

R.V. Droz

Sep 19, 2001, 1:18:42 AM9/19/01
Sandor G wrote:

> R.V. Droz <us...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Sandor G wrote:
> >
> > > Oklahoma
> > > I-40 E to Ok 34 N to I-40 E to I-44 W to I-240 E to I-40 E
> >
> > Pity you missed Lucille's, it was just sold on eBay.
>
> I don't get it

One of the sites to see. Hydro, Oklahoma.
The eBay auction was a minor media event.

US71

Sep 19, 2001, 1:22:46 PM9/19/01
"TEXAS" <TEXAS...@aaroads.com> wrote in message news:<9o6jkd$b8u79$1...@ID-70131.news.dfncis.de>...

And for trivia buffs: part of AR 7T in Russellville used to be US64
(only 1/2 mile or so actually).

Pete Jenior

Sep 19, 2001, 10:34:59 PM9/19/01

"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message

> Where was I....? Oh yes crossing the Colorado River along I-10 from
> California to Arizona before all hell broke loose.
> One last note about California before I go on to Arizona. I did not find
> I-10 out there to be anything out of the ordinary. If I had to do it all
> over, I probably would of stayed on I-10 to Phoenix and gone north on I-17
> if only to pickup a couple more counties to have traveled through.

For anyone else: most cross-county traffic heading in and out of LA uses
I-40 instead of I-10, right?

> New Mexico
> I-40 W
> Not only does New Mexico have Truth or Consequences, but you can live in
the
> town of Continental Divide as well. I-80/Wyoming markets the Continental
> Divide much more than I-10/New Mexico does. Wyoming uses BGS to mention
> the divide (and has the fortune to have I-80 go along the edge of the
divide
> basin, so they can mention the divide several times), where as New Mexico
> just uses some tiny sign you'd expect to see along some two lane highway.

In New Mexico, I remember that a sign on a small 2 lane frontage road along
I-40 was better than the sign on I-40 itself! The road was on the north
side (we were going west) and, naturally, there was an "Indian craft" store
nearby...

> I saw a sign along I-40 in eastern New Mexico cautioning about
intersections
> along the way. I only saw one road come upon I-40 (at a T intersection).

I believe there are 2 intersections about 5 miles apart, as suggested by the
banner. Alan has a photo of this that you've probably seen by now...

> Who runs all these Native American gift shops I saw along I-40 (old US
66)?
> My first instinct when I see billboards for them is that they sell fake
> stuff and are ran by unscrupulous people trying to take advantage of both
> the
> traveler and the *people* they are attempting to *represent.* Am I wrong
> about this?

That was also my first instinct, although I now believe soem of them are
"authentic" I know that some of the shops along US 89 (the part wrapping
around the Grand Canyon) are owned and operated by the Navajo (spelling?).

> If one does the pattern of E-W interstates and matching US highway
equaling
> 110 (I-80& US 30, I-70 & US 40, etc...). Why not I-44 from Chicago to Los
> Angeles following US 66's routing?

Interesting thought.
... I-30 could become I-34 to fit with I-44 and I-94 (kind of).

> "Ranch intersections" occur along I-40 in Oldham Co. I wouldn't worry
about
> traffic jumping out onto I-40 from them though. They are all gated and
> fenced up.

Unmarked, right?

> If I-40 was the reason Arkansas highways were claimed to be *bad,* then
> their ranking should improve. There was plenty of repaving going along
and
> the only section of highway that was not driver friendly was between
Little
> Rock and Memphis (not the entire length but somewhere along the way)

I think I-30 was/is pretty bad...

I was on the eastern-most 30 or 40 miles of I-40 during my Memphis/MS delta
trip last spring, and it (I-40) seemed fine...

> Still repainting the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River
> Saw no signs of any reconstruction at I-40 & I-240 in center Memphis.

Did you notice the ghost ramps?

> TennDOT does have the roadbed made up for I-840 west, but no pavement,
> concrete, or bridges (other than I-40 over the to-be I-840) are up.

The horror... 840 is being built way too far out...

[snip of stuff others answered]

> Here's my idea for I-50. Mountain Pkwy west to I-64. Make a connector from
> I-64/75 to New Circle Rd, then make US 60 interstate from New Circle Rd to
> Blue Grass Pkwy. Then follow Blue Grass then Western Kentucky Pkwys to
I-24
> then the Purchase Pkwy south into Tennessee and upgrade US 51 around Union
> City then use I-155 west to I-55.

H.B. and I have discussed this several times before...

> KyDOT almost has I-75 3 lanes in each direction between Lexington & Cincy.
> There are several areas where overpasses were built only for 2 lanes
> however.

KYTC is going to have to work hard on this stretch

> The *reach* of Cincinnati along I-75 is way south of I-71, I'd say
> Williamstown.

Williamstown is pushing it, I'd probably say Dry Ridge. It is interesting
to note that development in these areas is confined to a narrow strip along
75.

I know that many people in Williamstown actually commute south to the
massive Toyota plant in Georgetown.

> Can't KyDOT & ODOT think up of any control points for I-275 other than
> Airport and various roads (I-471, I-75, and Oh 32)

It's better than when they piuck a place that no one would be going. On
I-471 south, they say that 275 east goes to Columbus, Ohio - who would go
that way?

> No exit numbers for NB I-75 & 71 (it supposed to be exits 1 A-M)
> Nothing of note along Ft Washington Way (other than the stadium building)

That's you can about our big project (just kidding...)?

> Would of gotten a picture of the I-71 bridge over the Little Miami, but a
> sign said the path to view the bridge was closed (then I see it appears to
> be opened)

I think they just did some repaving (i.e. crap-fix of the inadequate truck
parking)

> Nothing of note I-71@ US 35

I assume you just mean nothing new, since lots of construction was visible

> Saw a spot along I-71 between the Pickaway-Franklin Co Line and US 62
where
> there were 4 of Ohio's finest all waiting to knock off speeders within 200
> yards of one another.

Is this near the Big Darby Creek, where 71 comes down a small hill and turns
slightly right?

> So after 12 days I traveled 6,200 miles, 16 states, 100 counties, and alot
> of roads.
> With OSU starting Wednesday, photos will be trickling in as the year
> progresses.

I've been here for a month already, and had test #2 and #3 of college today.

Thanks for writing this up, Sandor.

---
-Pete Jenior - Cincinnati, Ohio
-Freshman Civil Engineering Major
Georgia Tech (Atlanta, Georgia)
~~~~
"You're on the road
But you've got no destination"
-U2, "Beautiful Day"

~~~~
gtg...@prism.gatech.edu

John David Galt

Sep 19, 2001, 11:53:42 PM9/19/01
Pete Jenior wrote:
> For anyone else: most cross-[country] traffic heading in and out of LA uses

> I-40 instead of I-10, right?

Depends where it's going. If you're headed for Phoenix or any of the
Gulf coast states, I-10 is more direct.

David J. Greenberger

Sep 21, 2001, 5:29:42 PM9/21/01
wol...@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman) writes:

> In article <fdKo7.32932$ga2.1...@cletus.bright.net>,
> Sandor G <bt...@bright.net> wrote:
>
> >However, sky blue with pink (or earth tones) colors on your bridges?
>
> The underpasses on the Massachusetts Turnpike Extension are painted in
> a variety of colors, including blue (but not pink AFAIR). A study
> funded by the Turnpike Authority found that the variety of colors
> helps to reduce driver fatigue and ``tunnel vision'' along a roadway
> which is largely depressed in an open cut through the cities of Newton
> and Boston. (There is about a mile at grade between exit 17 and the
> Market St., Brighton, underpass.)

I-70 in Ohio, near Springfield (IIRC), also has variously colored
overpasses.
--
David J. Greenberger
dav...@email.com <-- Note new email address

Sandor G

Sep 21, 2001, 11:38:35 PM9/21/01
David J. Greenberger <dav...@email.com> wrote in message

I covered the Springfield Rainbow in the begining of Part 1 of my road trip
report
You meant to say the PA Turnpike in Somerset Co. has variously colored
overpasses.