Interchange of the Week - Schenect-a-dy-dots

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Nathan Perry

unread,
Oct 23, 2003, 11:48:24 PM10/23/03
to
This week our Thruway tour takes us to Schenectady (or its environs
anyway) with a look at both ends of I-890 and one end of I-88. We also
see a hybrid trumpet-diamond interchange, and the whole whopping length
of NY 890. Also, some new info on stub ramps on the Cross County Parkway
(Week 27).

http://www.empirestateroads.com/week

Next week: both ends of I-481, what could be better?

Compañero Señor Yämamøto

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 12:34:41 AM10/24/03
to
Nathan Perry wrote:

A triple trumpet. By golly, that IH 90/IH 890/NY 5 junction has more
brass than a big band. Or not.

--
Comrade Mr. Yämamøto the REAL one
(look for the can in the plain brown can)
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com
http://infoshop.org
take the "spam" and make a sandwich, then reply by e-mail

Michael G. Koerner

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 12:50:49 AM10/24/03
to
Compañero Señor Yämamøto wrote:
>
> Nathan Perry wrote:
>
> > This week our Thruway tour takes us to Schenectady (or its environs
> > anyway) with a look at both ends of I-890 and one end of I-88. We also
> > see a hybrid trumpet-diamond interchange, and the whole whopping length
> > of NY 890. Also, some new info on stub ramps on the Cross County Parkway
> > (Week 27).
> >
> > http://www.empirestateroads.com/week
> >
> > Next week: both ends of I-481, what could be better?
>
> A triple trumpet. By golly, that IH 90/IH 890/NY 5 junction has more
> brass than a big band. Or not.

The only 'interchange 25' that I can see on the website is interchange
25 on I-88, not the Thruway.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
| | | | |\
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Michael Moroney

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 2:54:29 PM10/24/03
to
re I-88 Exit 25: Might be worth mentioning the bizarre numbering of
the reference markers on that interchange. (ramp reference markers
are fairly rare in Region 1 anyway) They don't follow anything in the
reference marker manual. The top line (route #) for both the ramps
and the little connector road is 88I. (most other places in NY would give
the little connector road a reference route number, 91nx format)
I don't remember exactly how it goes but I think the last line of
the ramp markers are nR01 (n is a ramp number) and on the connector
road it's 1S01, 1S02...

re I-90 Exit 26. I think NY 890/those ramps opened in 1999. I have
an aerial photo from before the NY 890 work, there were ghost ramps and
ghost bridges there for years.

Before I-890, NY 5S followed 890's path and ended at NY 5 at the corner of
Erie and State. (NY 50S also once ended at the same intersection. NY
50S is no more but part is now a reference route)

When I-890 was built, they built all the bridges there (except the one
over the river), but 890 was stub-ended. NY 5S started at the end,
went under the bridge carrying the current NY890-Thruway ramp both ways
and the bridges over the I-890-5S ramp carried nothing over nothing.
I think they had to rebuild all the bridges when NY 890 went in, they
were neglected too long.


--
-Mike

Nathan Perry

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 3:32:55 PM10/24/03
to
In article <BZ1mb.19394$Fc5....@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>,

Compañero Señor Yämamøto <mr-yamam...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Nathan Perry wrote:
>
> > This week our Thruway tour takes us to Schenectady (or its environs
> > anyway) with a look at both ends of I-890 and one end of I-88. We also
> > see a hybrid trumpet-diamond interchange, and the whole whopping length
> > of NY 890. Also, some new info on stub ramps on the Cross County Parkway
> > (Week 27).
> >
> > http://www.empirestateroads.com/week
> >
> > Next week: both ends of I-481, what could be better?
>
> A triple trumpet. By golly, that IH 90/IH 890/NY 5 junction has more
> brass than a big band. Or not.

No trombones. Maybe the Paperclip interchange should be renamed for the
trombone.

Nathan Perry

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 3:35:44 PM10/24/03
to
In article <bnbsh5$51f$1...@pcls4.std.com>,
mor...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) wrote:

> re I-88 Exit 25: Might be worth mentioning the bizarre numbering of
> the reference markers on that interchange. (ramp reference markers
> are fairly rare in Region 1 anyway) They don't follow anything in the
> reference marker manual. The top line (route #) for both the ramps
> and the little connector road is 88I. (most other places in NY would give
> the little connector road a reference route number, 91nx format)
> I don't remember exactly how it goes but I think the last line of
> the ramp markers are nR01 (n is a ramp number) and on the connector
> road it's 1S01, 1S02...

I was going to, but thought I'd wait for you to post the specifics.
Thanks for doing so. :-)

Nathan Perry

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 3:36:42 PM10/24/03
to
In article <3F98AFA9...@dataex.com>,

"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:

> Compañero Señor Yämamøto wrote:
> >
> > Nathan Perry wrote:
> >
> > > This week our Thruway tour takes us to Schenectady (or its environs
> > > anyway) with a look at both ends of I-890 and one end of I-88. We also
> > > see a hybrid trumpet-diamond interchange, and the whole whopping length
> > > of NY 890. Also, some new info on stub ramps on the Cross County Parkway
> > > (Week 27).
> > >
> > > http://www.empirestateroads.com/week
> > >
> > > Next week: both ends of I-481, what could be better?
> >
> > A triple trumpet. By golly, that IH 90/IH 890/NY 5 junction has more
> > brass than a big band. Or not.
>
> The only 'interchange 25' that I can see on the website is interchange
> 25 on I-88, not the Thruway.

Er? Thruway Exit 25 should be there at the top of the page.

Michael Moroney

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 4:26:58 PM10/24/03
to

Re the misplaced trumpet ramp from NY 5S to NY 890:

It was, in fact, graded for that ramp to be where it would normally be.
The ramp would have been tight against the loop ramp and made a sharp turn
onto NY 890, and a mirror of the other trumpet on I-890.

See http://www.roadgeek.org/temp/exit26.jpg and see all the ghosts (just
in time for Halloween)

You know, I was thinking, they could have numbered NY 890 NY 5S and NY 5S
would have connected with NY 5 again like it 'should'. Naaah...

--
-Mike

Michael G. Koerner

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 9:41:09 PM10/24/03
to

I saw three interchanges when I checked the website:

Thruway #26
I-88 #25
Thruway #25A

Craig Holl

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 9:48:41 PM10/24/03
to
Michael G. Koerner wrote:
> Nathan Perry wrote:
>>
>> In article <3F98AFA9...@dataex.com>,
>> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:

>>> The only 'interchange 25' that I can see on the website is
>>> interchange 25 on I-88, not the Thruway.
>>
>> Er? Thruway Exit 25 should be there at the top of the page.
>
> I saw three interchanges when I checked the website:
>
> Thruway #26
> I-88 #25
> Thruway #25A

There are four interchanges shown on that page, the three you listed, plus Thruway
#25, at the top of the page.

--
Craig Holl
Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI
www.midwestroads.com
*remove all numbers and caps to reply*


Michael G. Koerner

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 10:22:31 PM10/24/03
to
Craig Holl wrote:
>
> Michael G. Koerner wrote:
> > Nathan Perry wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <3F98AFA9...@dataex.com>,
> >> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:
>
> >>> The only 'interchange 25' that I can see on the website is
> >>> interchange 25 on I-88, not the Thruway.
> >>
> >> Er? Thruway Exit 25 should be there at the top of the page.
> >
> > I saw three interchanges when I checked the website:
> >
> > Thruway #26
> > I-88 #25
> > Thruway #25A
>
> There are four interchanges shown on that page, the three you listed, plus Thruway
> #25, at the top of the page.

I'll try it again.

Michael G. Koerner

unread,
Oct 24, 2003, 10:35:59 PM10/24/03
to
"Michael G. Koerner" wrote:
>
> Craig Holl wrote:
> >
> > Michael G. Koerner wrote:
> > > Nathan Perry wrote:
> > >>
> > >> In article <3F98AFA9...@dataex.com>,
> > >> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:
> >
> > >>> The only 'interchange 25' that I can see on the website is
> > >>> interchange 25 on I-88, not the Thruway.
> > >>
> > >> Er? Thruway Exit 25 should be there at the top of the page.
> > >
> > > I saw three interchanges when I checked the website:
> > >
> > > Thruway #26
> > > I-88 #25
> > > Thruway #25A
> >
> > There are four interchanges shown on that page, the three you listed, plus Thruway
> > #25, at the top of the page.
>
> I'll try it again.

It worked fine on a different browser.

Hmmmmm...

Scott D Fybush

unread,
Oct 26, 2003, 11:09:29 PM10/26/03
to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Compa=F1ero_Se=F1or_Y=E4mam=F8to?= <mr-yamam...@verizon.net> writes:

>Nathan Perry wrote:

>> This week our Thruway tour takes us to Schenectady (or its environs
>> anyway) with a look at both ends of I-890 and one end of I-88. We also
>> see a hybrid trumpet-diamond interchange, and the whole whopping length
>> of NY 890. Also, some new info on stub ramps on the Cross County Parkway
>> (Week 27).
>>
>> http://www.empirestateroads.com/week
>>

Nathan - there are RADIO GEEKS aplenty here, too - yet no mention that exit 25A runs right past the mighty WGY 810 tower, which even pokes its way into visibility in the corner of the picture?

Mark Roberts

unread,
Oct 27, 2003, 9:55:48 PM10/27/03
to
Scott D Fybush <fyb...@TheWorld.com> had written:

|
| Nathan - there are RADIO GEEKS aplenty here, too - yet no mention
| that exit 25A runs right past the mighty WGY 810 tower, which even
| pokes its way into visibility in the corner of the picture?

Well, if you're going down that avenue, let's mention the other big
(50,000 watts daytime) 810 stations that can be seen from major
highways -- KGO, at the east end of the Dumbarton Bridge (CA 84)
over the San Francisco Bay, including big "KGO" call letters
vertically mounted on the transmitter building and backlit at night
-- and WHB, the former KCMO, at I-435 and US 169 in far north Kansas
City. Both also feature multiple towers -- 3 for KGO, 5 for WHB.
They're hard to miss.

It looks like two of the other three 810 kHz stations with 50,000
watts daytime might be visible from highways -- WSJC, Magee, MS; and
KTBI, Ephrata, WA. Both are near their respective states' route 28,
coincidentally enough.

--
"Then he slips into a delirium of federal prose."
-- Sue Hubbell, "Shrinking the Cat"

Nathan Perry

unread,
Oct 27, 2003, 11:51:04 PM10/27/03
to
In article <bni5pp$nn8$1...@pcls4.std.com>,

I figured that was the WGY tower, although I remember it being in a more
rural area. I'll throw a mention of that in there.

Scott D Fybush

unread,
Oct 28, 2003, 4:04:54 PM10/28/03
to
The radio'n'roadgeeks thank you. (Right, Mark?)

The WGY tower is especially notable for being signed as such:

81
W
G
Y

in big red letters facing the Thruway down the middle of the
tower. The number of towers bearing call letters is dwindling
fast. (Does Albany's 1400, whose tower on Braintree Street faces I-90
a few miles west of downtown, still bear the "W A B Y" letters even
though it's no longer WABY?)

s

Nathan Perry

unread,
Oct 28, 2003, 11:22:00 PM10/28/03
to
In article <vprmlkn...@corp.supernews.com>,
mark...@attbi.com (Mark Roberts) wrote:

Is there anything special about the 810 frequency?

Nathan Perry

unread,
Oct 29, 2003, 1:11:59 AM10/29/03
to
Week 62 is now updated with the radio-geek info plus more about the NY
890 extension. You know the URL!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages