Georgia changes exit strategy

Gene Janczynskyi

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Work has begun on changing GA exit numbers. Estimated time of completion: June 2000.
Enjoy.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/2000/01/05/signs.html
State changes exit strategy
By D.L. Bennett, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Drivers coming into Georgia from Tennessee were greeted Tuesday with new interstate
exit numbers that soon will spread all over the state. Cloud Springs Road's days as
Exit 142 ended when crews put up a shiny new 353. The numbers will drop throughout
the state until I-75 dips into Florida at Georgia's final exit, Lake Park-Bellville
Road, which will shift from Exit 1 to Exit 2.

The changes are part of a statewide renumbering project to change Georgia's
interchanges from a sequential system to one matching mile markers. "This makes
finding the exits easier," said Lillian Jackson with the state Department of
Transportation. "This tells you the mileage from one exit to another."

The project also will make it easier for public safety personnel to gauge their
distance to accidents or other incidents on the highways, according to the DOT.
Workers began Tuesday on I-75, the first of 15 interstates in Georgia that will be
renumbered. In all, DOT is replacing 5,670 signs along Georgia's 474 freeway
interchanges at a cost of $8 million.

Work gets under way Monday on I-20 at the Alabama line. The renumbering on I-85 will
start at the end of the month. By June, all the sequential numbers will be replaced
with ones representing mile markers. For instance, Veterans Memorial Parkway,
currently Exit 1 on I-20, will become Exit 5 because it is five miles from the state
line. Boulevard, near Grant Park, will shift from 26 to 59A.

North-south interstates will be numbered from the south to the north, meaning
low-numbered exits on I-75 will be near the Florida line. East-west interstate exit
numbers will begin in the west, putting low numbers along I-20 near the Alabama
border. On the Perimeter, exit numbers will begin at the Ga. 14 Spur near the I-85
interchange on the Southside and will run clockwise.

The new numbers mean big changes for companies that rely on interstate exit numbers
for brochures, signs, business cards and billboards. Ward Williams, general manager
of Tanger Outlet Center in Commerce, said his firm will have to change at least 30
billboards for its centers in Commerce, Dalton and Locust Grove.

The shopping center's advertising and brochures also are tied to their exit numbers.
The center's location on I-85 in Commerce will change from Exit 53 to Exit 149.
Williams, though, isn't upset with the change. He said his company has known about
the switch-over for at least a year. "The benefits far outweigh the costs," Williams
said. "It's going to be an advantage for us. People will have an easier time finding
us."
--
"Where's the ka-boom? There was suppose to be an earth-shattering ka-boom." -Marvin
the Martian

Gene Janczynskyi
in Cape Coral, FL
ejja...@eagle.fgcu.edu

John Lansford

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
"Gene Janczynskyi" <ejja...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Drivers coming into Georgia from Tennessee were greeted Tuesday with new interstate
>exit numbers that soon will spread all over the state. Cloud Springs Road's days as
>Exit 142 ended when crews put up a shiny new 353. The numbers will drop throughout
>the state until I-75 dips into Florida at Georgia's final exit, Lake Park-Bellville
>Road, which will shift from Exit 1 to Exit 2.
>
>The changes are part of a statewide renumbering project to change Georgia's
>interchanges from a sequential system to one matching mile markers. "This makes
>finding the exits easier," said Lillian Jackson with the state Department of
>Transportation. "This tells you the mileage from one exit to another."

Well, shucks. My first encounter with Georgia exit numbers was years
and years ago, right after I-24 was built where it dips down into that
state from TN.

In that section there is a sign that says "Ga Route 399 3/4 Miles".

I always wondered (I was very young then) why "Ga Route" had to have a
sign that was 399 3/4 miles away; it must have been a very important
destination, but why couldn't the sign have been a quarter mile
further away (making it 400 miles)?

John Lansford, PE

The unofficial I-26 Construction Webpage:
http://users.vnet.net/lansford/a10/

Gene Janczynskyi

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
> FYI...
> Since I-24 briefly dips down from Tennessee and goes back up toward Nashville,
> the TN mileposts apply.
> As a result, this was the only Interstate in GA with milepost-based exit
> numbers.
>
> BTW, what other states have roads with milepost number from another state?
> (Just curious.)

Would I-684 in CT be one of them?

SPUI

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Do signs still have the old number?

--
Daniel Moraseski - roadGEEK in Orlando FL
http://spui.cjb.net/index.html - FL and NJ roads, and a list of SPUIs

(www.georgiahighways.8m.com).

> Thanks in advance for your visit and please sign the guestbook before you
> leave.

Gene Janczynskyi

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
> Do signs still have the old number?

If you are talking about the new exit number with the old number next to then the
answer would be no.

If you are talking about the new exit sign next to the old sign, then the answer
would be, I have no idea, but I really doubt it.

BTW it would be kind of weird when traveling I-75 north, and you are passing Exit
114, Exit 115, Exit 116, Exit 271, Exit 273. Kind of makes a non-roadgeek traveler
wonder what happened to Exits 117-272. :)

It would be great if FL will follow GA and renumber its I-Exits. It has already has
milepost-based exits on its toll roads and FLTP was renumbered a few years ago, like
around 1991 or so.

--
"Where's the ka-boom? There was suppose to be an earth-shattering ka-boom." -Marvin

the Martian, on Y2K

Gene Janczynskyi
in Cape Coral, FL
ejja...@eagle.fgcu.edu

Mike McManus

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Lswjr wrote:

> BTW, what other states have roads with milepost number from another
> state? (Just curious.)

I-275 mileposts begin in Kentucky at I-71/I-75 and increase
continuously (counterclockwise) through Indiana and Ohio before
resetting back in Kentucky.

--
Mike McManus <mmcm...@frontiernet.net> Rochester, NY

"I want you to have zero tolerance for intolerance."
-- Archbishop Desmond Tutu, in a television ad for the
Alliance For Full Acceptance, in SC <http://www.affa-sc.org/>

Lswjr

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
FYI...

Since I-24 briefly dips down from Tennessee and goes back up toward Nashville,
the TN mileposts apply.

As a result, this was the only Interstate in GA with milepost-based exit
numbers.

BTW, what other states have roads with milepost number from another state?
(Just curious.)

Respectfully Submitted,
Steve Williams :)
Atlanta, GA
Webmaster, The Unofficial Georgia Highways Web Page
http://www.georgiahighways.8m.com

Lswjr

Michael D. Adams

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Lswjr <ls...@aol.com> wrote:

: BTW, what other states have roads with milepost number from another state?
: (Just curious.)

If you include TMM's in the definition of "milepost number", I believe
that would be:

NY 17^H^H^H^H^HI-86, with NY TMM's appearing in the stretch where it
briefly dips into Pennsylvanai; and

I-684, where it drifts over into Fairfield County.

--
___ Michael D. Adams, ACAS mda at triskele dot com
<*,*> Highway Heaven: http://www.triskele.com/highways

David J. Greenberger

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
"Michael D. Adams" <sta...@Jan00.rahul.net> writes:

> If you include TMM's in the definition of "milepost number", I believe
> that would be:
>
> NY 17^H^H^H^H^HI-86, with NY TMM's appearing in the stretch where it
> briefly dips into Pennsylvanai; and

Uh, that's still NY 17 (as is the entire STE) and it's not I-86 yet.
I'm not sure if it has true mileposts yet but it will soon.
--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Gene Janczynskyi

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
> BTW, what other states have roads with milepost number from another state?
> (Just curious.)

How about I-495 in MD and VA and DC a bit?

Jason L. Bennett

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
"David J. Greenberger" wrote:

> "Michael D. Adams" <sta...@Jan00.rahul.net> writes:
>
> > If you include TMM's in the definition of "milepost number", I believe
> > that would be:
> >
> > NY 17^H^H^H^H^HI-86, with NY TMM's appearing in the stretch where it
> > briefly dips into Pennsylvanai; and
>
> Uh, that's still NY 17 (as is the entire STE) and it's not I-86 yet.
> I'm not sure if it has true mileposts yet but it will soon.

Yeah, but who's I-86 will it be??? NY's or PA's?

Lswjr

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
FYI...

Just today, I found out that Florida will renumber their interstate exits to
the milepost-based system in about a year and a half.

As for the Florida Turnpike, they have had milepost-based exit numbers on the
mainline (Homestead to West Palm Beach) section for at least 20-25 years.

Steve Williams :)

Jim Ellwanger

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
In article <20000107184645...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
ls...@aol.com (Lswjr) wrote:

>As for the Florida Turnpike, they have had milepost-based exit numbers
>on the mainline (Homestead to West Palm Beach) section for at least
>20-25 years.

Actually, it's only been a little over 10 years. The old exit numbers
weren't milepost-based, but they weren't consecutive, either, in order
to allow for possible future exits; they went up by 4 (in the south) or
5 (in the north). I remember many a family car trip in the '80s from
Tampa to visit my grandparents in Boca Raton, who lived near the Glades
Road exit (FL 808), during which I spent much of the time on the
Turnpike studying the old toll tickets, with the neat pattern of the
exit numbers and the toll amounts on the front, and the list of service
plazas on the back.

Anyway, because of that, I can definitely say that Glades Road was Exit
28 back in those days...today, based on the mileposts all the way from
Homestead, it's Exit 75.

Also, the "mainline" of the Turnpike runs from Miami to the I-75
interchange at Wildwood; from Miami to Homestead, it's the Homestead
Extension. See
<http://www.dot.state.fl.us/turnpikepio/general_information/whatistp.htm>
.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> is looking up.

Gene Janczynskyi

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
> FYI...
> Just today, I found out that Florida will renumber their interstate exits to
> the milepost-based system in about a year and a half.

Cool! Where did you find the info?

> As for the Florida Turnpike, they have had milepost-based exit numbers on the
> mainline (Homestead to West Palm Beach) section for at least 20-25 years.

Mainline is from Golden Glades, which is north of Miami to Wildwood and went by Exit
0-60 multiples of 4. Exit 60-the end where it meets with I-75 multiple of 5.

I do not believe that the Homestead Ext. exits were numbered.

My info were based on maps like RM 1986 Road Atlas, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami RM
1988, Orlando Sunbelt Maps 1990. The 1992 AAA edition of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale shows
the new milepost-based exits.

SPUI

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
Old FLTP exit numbers:
0X 0 1?
2X 2
47A 4
49 8 2
54 12 3
58 16 4
62 20
67 24 5
75 28 6
81 32 7
93 36 8
99 40 9
109 44 10
116 48 11
133 52 12
152 56 9
193 60 8
244 65 7
254 70 6
259 75 5
267 80 4
285 85 3
305 90 2
309 95 1

Jon Morse

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
mmcm...@frontiernet.net (Mike McManus) wrote:

>Lswjr wrote:
>
>> BTW, what other states have roads with milepost number from another
>> state? (Just curious.)
>

>I-275 mileposts begin in Kentucky at I-71/I-75 and increase
>continuously (counterclockwise) through Indiana and Ohio before
>resetting back in Kentucky.

Also, I-435 and I-635 in the Kansas City area.

Jon Morse
Herndon, VA
via lots of much larger places