Ohio, Pa, NJ, Del, Md, W Va, and AAG conference road trip report (little details for now)

Sandor G

Mar 6, 2001, 12:42:05 AM3/6/01
I'm just doing this since I saw 3 requests for this info in my e-mail
tonight. I'll do a more in depth report Thursday after I get two term
papers finished (I hope).

Tuesday - Middle of Nowhere, Oh to NYC. Morrow County roads to OH 61 N to
I-71 N to I-76 E to I-80 E to I-95 N to NY 9A south to NYC streets.

ODOT is grading the medium to start widening of I-71 from US 30 all the way
to I-76. In between there, there is a section currently being worked on and
should be finished by summer.

Thursday - Road trip around the greater NYC area with David Greenberger.
Don't look at me for a report, I thought he would of posted something by
now.

Friday - Gave my I-73 presentation to an overflow crowd of..... 3. :-(
All of whom were affiliated with the University of Arizona (one was the
fiancée of another speaker and the other two were friends of said speaker).
And yes I am in the process of reminding everyone at OSU about this slight.

Saturday - NYC to Philly - NYC streets to Lincoln tunnel to more city
streets as I traced the Lincoln Highway from Weehauken to Newark. Then NJ
27 S to US 22 E to I-78(?)E to I-95 S to I-195 W to I-295 N back to I-95 S
to US 206 S through downtown Trenton to PA 32 W(?) to US 1 S to I-95 S to PA
611 N to South Philly (stayed with friend who lives two blocks south of the
South St)

What the heck is that interchange between US 22/I-78/I-95? If it wasn't for
the fact that I was only going 20 MPH I could of swore I was on some F1
course.
And to Frank Currio, you will enjoy my Calhoun St toll bridge picture taking
story. :-)

Sunday - Philly to Middle of Nowhere, Oh. Aka, racing the storm.
Philly streets to I-95 S to I-695 Counter Clockwise to I-70 W to I-68 W to
I-79 N to I-70 W to I-470 W to I-70 W to I-270 CCW to I-71 N to US 36 E to
Delaware County roads and briefly a Morrow County road into home.

Plenty of precip the whole trip, with I-68 having the worst weather
conditions with snow and fog which made things very interesting at times.
But I'll have to try that route again when the weather isn't a factor.

Sidenote to yesterday's travels. I heard a report today that a van carrying
several OSU Geography students got stranded along I-80 somewhere between
Sharon and Delaware Water Gap. I don't know of their status now or where
precisely they are, but at least make sure they don't transfer to PSU. :-)
Seriously, I do hope they are alright and the threat of encountering
something like that is what caused me to abandoned my original plans of
taking the PA turnpike back west.

You may start your questions and comments. Mind you that I will think of
more precise items I saw come Thursday.
--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - Talked about I-73 at an academic conference near

"Rocks are my pillow
The cold ground my bed
Highway is my home" -- Magic Slim

David J. Greenberger

Mar 6, 2001, 11:27:16 AM3/6/01
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> writes:

> Thursday - Road trip around the greater NYC area with David Greenberger.
> Don't look at me for a report, I thought he would of posted something by
> now.

I'm too lazy. Besides, most of what I saw is old hat to me. (Well,
except the mysterious tunnel portal halfway down the Highbridge Park
cliff, and the US 22 marker at the north end of the Central Westchester
Parkway, and the old alignment of US 9W at the State Line Lookout, and
the large truck on the PIP.)

> Friday - Gave my I-73 presentation to an overflow crowd of..... 3. :-(
> All of whom were affiliated with the University of Arizona (one was the
> fiancée of another speaker and the other two were friends of said speaker).
> And yes I am in the process of reminding everyone at OSU about this slight.

!!! Where was everyone else?

> What the heck is that interchange between US 22/I-78/I-95? If it wasn't for
> the fact that I was only going 20 MPH I could of swore I was on some F1
> course.

...and NJ 21 and US 1&9. And Continental Airlines and friends. That
was the infamous Newark Airport interchange.

> Plenty of precip the whole trip, with I-68 having the worst weather
> conditions with snow and fog which made things very interesting at times.
> But I'll have to try that route again when the weather isn't a factor.

It's a nice drive. Did you stop at the Sideling Hill visitor center?

> Sidenote to yesterday's travels. I heard a report today that a van carrying
> several OSU Geography students got stranded along I-80 somewhere between
> Sharon and Delaware Water Gap. I don't know of their status now or where
> precisely they are, but at least make sure they don't transfer to PSU. :-)
> Seriously, I do hope they are alright and the threat of encountering
> something like that is what caused me to abandoned my original plans of
> taking the PA turnpike back west.

!!! I-80 is pretty desolate in Pennsylvania. Then again, I-68 is a lot
more desolate (and hilly) than the Turnpike -- I would have opted for
the Turnpike in poor weather.
--
David J. Greenberger

Sherman Cahal

Mar 6, 2001, 3:21:12 PM3/6/01
> ODOT is grading the medium to start widening of I-71 from US 30 all the
way
> to I-76. In between there, there is a section currently being worked on
and
> should be finished by summer.

Medium?

> Friday - Gave my I-73 presentation to an overflow crowd of..... 3. :-(
> All of whom were affiliated with the University of Arizona (one was the
> fiancée of another speaker and the other two were friends of said
speaker).
> And yes I am in the process of reminding everyone at OSU about this
slight.

Wow! That's an overflow! Um where there to be more people? :-(

> What the heck is that interchange between US 22/I-78/I-95? If it wasn't
for
> the fact that I was only going 20 MPH I could of swore I was on some F1
> course.

I love that interchange, being all confusing and such.

> Plenty of precip the whole trip, with I-68 having the worst weather
> conditions with snow and fog which made things very interesting at times.
> But I'll have to try that route again when the weather isn't a factor.

Sort of like my roadtrip in the winter to Mt. Storm. THAT was fun, going
down 5% hills with the roads covered and going about 5 mph.

--
=============================
Sherman Cahal

mrpete

Mar 6, 2001, 3:44:46 PM3/6/01

> Friday - Gave my I-73 presentation to an overflow crowd of..... 3. :-(
> All of whom were affiliated with the University of Arizona (one was the
> fiancée of another speaker and the other two were friends of said
speaker).
> And yes I am in the process of reminding everyone at OSU about this
slight.

I thought it was going to be a large room of people. What a disappointment,
I bet.

> Sunday - Philly to Middle of Nowhere, Oh. Aka, racing the storm.
> Philly streets to I-95 S to I-695 Counter Clockwise to I-70 W to I-68 W to
> I-79 N to I-70 W to I-470 W to I-70 W to I-270 CCW to I-71 N to US 36 E to
> Delaware County roads and briefly a Morrow County road into home.
>
> Plenty of precip the whole trip, with I-68 having the worst weather
> conditions with snow and fog which made things very interesting at times.
> But I'll have to try that route again when the weather isn't a factor.

I wonder if I-68 was any better than the Turnpike. I was on 68 in fog
several years ago, and it was pretty rough.
-Pete Jenior

Adam Prince

Mar 6, 2001, 9:12:23 PM3/6/01

"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message

> I'm just doing this since I saw 3 requests for this info in my e-mail
> tonight. I'll do a more in depth report Thursday after I get two term
> papers finished (I hope).
>
> Tuesday - Middle of Nowhere, Oh to NYC. Morrow County roads to OH 61 N to
> I-71 N to I-76 E to I-80 E to I-95 N to NY 9A south to NYC streets.
>
> ODOT is grading the medium to start widening of I-71 from US 30 all the
way
> to I-76. In between there, there is a section currently being worked on
and
> should be finished by summer.
>
> Thursday - Road trip around the greater NYC area with David Greenberger.
> Don't look at me for a report, I thought he would of posted something by
> now.
>
> Friday - Gave my I-73 presentation to an overflow crowd of..... 3. :-(
> All of whom were affiliated with the University of Arizona (one was the
> fiancée of another speaker and the other two were friends of said
speaker).
> And yes I am in the process of reminding everyone at OSU about this
slight.

Well look at it this way, it proves your point that no one really wants
I-73...=)

Sherman Cahal

Mar 6, 2001, 11:09:48 PM3/6/01

*AHEM*

taking it to the limit

Mar 7, 2001, 1:00:00 AM3/7/01
>> Well look at it this way, it proves your point that no one really wants
>> I-73...=)
>
>*AHEM*

<--- points and laughs at the pro-I-73 contigent :)

Chris Sampang
In The SF Bay Area
==================
"On a dark desert highway..." - The Eagles
==================
Freeways of San Francisco - http://sffwy.cjb.com
Fictional Celebrity Jeopardy Skits - http://connery.cjb.com

Jeff Kitsko

Mar 9, 2001, 12:31:45 PM3/9/01
Yes? Do you need a lozenge?

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

"Sherman Cahal" <bi...@dragg.net> wrote in message

Sandor G

Mar 10, 2001, 11:26:32 PM3/10/01
Sandor G <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message

As promised from before, some more details from trip to NYC and more.

> Tuesday - Middle of Nowhere, Oh to NYC. Morrow County roads to OH 61 N to
> I-71 N to I-76 E to I-80 E to I-95 N to NY 9A south to NYC streets.

From just down the road from my house at Oh 61@I-71 there is a Williams
Truck stop almost completed (compitition for Flying J obviously) and ODOT
put up a LED traffic light for the south part of the diamond interchange
there (just a stop sign for the off ramp on the northside of the diamond
still)

For Dave, theres a homemade bilboard on along NB I-71 just before the US 250
interchange that proclaims...
"Ashland (oh), world headquarters of nice people." Got picture.

(For those who keep track) Ashland County's Ohio Centenial barn is on the
eastside of I-71 facing NB traffic between US 30 and 250.

I saw my first memorial for a State highway trooper who killed by a drunk
driver along NB I-71 between US 250 and Oh 301. You see a state flag, a
national flag, and the trooper's name beneith.

> ODOT is grading the medium to start widening of I-71 from US 30 all the
way
> to I-76. In between there, there is a section currently being worked on
and
> should be finished by summer.

I-76 between I-71 and Akron has those overhead truck sensors (like on I-75
members.nbci.com/musxf579/advcvo.jpg )
for both directions

What's the construction on I-76 east of Akron for?

For Marc, got pictures of the double lines and the no passing signs along
I-76/80 over the reservoirs near Youngstown.
Got a BGS with directions to NYC and Pittsburgh, and the last control city
milage sign with NYC in Ohio.

Who it Gordon Ward, and why is the I-80@PA 60 interchange named for him (ran
out of highways to name?)

What's with the empty BGS supports on I-80, in both directions going towards
I-79? They are on the side of the road and look like clothes line supports.

There are several control city distance signs that list Williamsport above
Milton along I-80 EB. The significance, Williamsport is further away than
Milton.

What's with all the crossing white and yellow lines along I-80 EB (just past
milemarker 200)

Just west of the 309 interchange (exit 39) with I-80 is road called 'Old
Turnpike Road.' Anyone know any history with that

The BGS for the NE turnpike extension must still be from the sixties. You
have the olive green color, everything spelled out, and a I-476 shield added
beneith the BGS along a sign support.

Interesting to note that PA counties lines, along I-80, are marked with big
(relatively speaking) white signs with blue lettering.

(for the Rand McNally lurkers) There are End I-80 signs just before you
reach I-95 in New Jersey. IOW, they don't multiplex like maps say they do.

> Thursday - Road trip around the greater NYC area with David Greenberger.
> Don't look at me for a report, I thought he would of posted something by
now.

(alright here's my attempt at remembering, with photos at hand)
Visited a parking lot underneith a traffic circle (Hudson Pkwy @ 96th or 72
st)
Did the circle route around Manhatten Island up to the Cross Bronx Expwy.
Then over to the Cloisters and through Washington Hts.
Then over the GW bridge and then north on the Palisades Interstate Parkway
up to Bear Mtn state park and crossed the Hudson and back south.

I'll save AAG for another post

> Saturday - NYC to Philly - NYC streets to Lincoln tunnel to more city
> streets as I traced the Lincoln Highway from Weehauken to Newark. Then NJ
> 27 S to US 22 E to I-78(?)E to I-95 S to I-195 W to I-295 N back to I-95 S
> to US 206 S through downtown Trenton to PA 32 W(?) to US 1 S to I-95 S to
PA
> 611 N to South Philly (stayed with friend who lives two blocks south of
the
> South St)

(Again for those who keep track) Rosevelt Stadium is still standing in
Jersey City? (Brooklyn Dodger historians would know the importance of this
stadium)

> What the heck is that interchange between US 22/I-78/I-95? If it wasn't
for
> the fact that I was only going 20 MPH I could of swore I was on some F1
> course.

I took two pictures while driving on the NJ turnpike. Let the proper
authorities know. ;-P

I only saw three I-95 shields along the NJTP between Newark and I-195.
No mention of I-95 on I-195 EB towards the NJTP, however signage along I-295
gives the feeling that it's Temp I-95 between it's *technical* end and
I-195.

The old US 1 bridge (the has in Neon, What Trenton Makes, the World takes)
is non toll in leaving NJ. One of two (I-95 over the Delaware being the
other) that isn't tolled leaving NJ?
(BTW, we can thank the original Lincoln Highway Committee for that)

> And to Frank Currio, you will enjoy my Calhoun St toll bridge picture
taking
> story. :-)

Ah yes, the Calhoun St. toll bridge (Trenton) story. I park my car just
south of the bridge on the PA side and walk along the bank of the river
heading north. I get close enough to take a picture of the back of a LHA
marker. I walk over towards the intersection of Calhoun St and PA 32 and
debate how close I want to get to get a picture of the front side of said
marker, when someone comes out of a toll house (it doesn't look any modern
toll booth, people) and tells (yell?) at me to go away, that I can't take
any pictures of the structure. I was sort of shocked and walked away.
Very Bizare.

PennDOT and the Pa Turnpike are going to have a hard time squeezing an
interchange @ I-95 & I-276 without taking out something already built and
privately owned. Good luck.

> Sunday - Philly to Middle of Nowhere, Oh. Aka, racing the storm.
> Philly streets to I-95 S to I-695 Counter Clockwise to I-70 W to I-68 W to
> I-79 N to I-70 W to I-470 W to I-70 W to I-270 CCW to I-71 N to US 36 E to
> Delaware County roads and briefly a Morrow County road into home.

Plenty of Variable traffic signs along I-95 between Delaware state and
Baltimore work. They all mentioned possible icing.
However same signs along I-695 and I-70 had nothing on them.

Where's the north end point of I-895? BGS for I-95 SB @ I-695 had I-895
shields with the I-95 shields.

I didn't notice any End I-70 signs aproaching I-695. Just the infamous Park
n'ride BGS.

Where was that section of I-70/US 40 that wasn't Interstate standard west of
Baltimore? I tried to look for clues of its former existance (remember what
the weather was that day)

Plenty of construction with I-70@ I-270 near Fredrick, Md.

I saw some construction along I-68 near WVa 981. Is that part of the PA 43
project?

> Plenty of precip the whole trip, with I-68 having the worst weather
> conditions with snow and fog which made things very interesting at times.
> But I'll have to try that route again when the weather isn't a factor.

So with the impromptu detour last Sunday, I added 19 counties (total for the
trip) to my collection and completed my first 2di interstate (I-68, woo
hoo!). I have driven the Lincoln Highway's entire route in NJ and NY now
(added to Ind, Ill, Iowa, and Neb), and have added plenty of interstate
miles, but little in US routes this time around.

So there. :-)

--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - Talking about I-73 at an academic conference near

Sandor G

Mar 10, 2001, 11:31:26 PM3/10/01
Sandor G <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message

As promised from before, some more details from trip to NYC and more.

> Tuesday - Middle of Nowhere, Oh to NYC. Morrow County roads to OH 61 N to
> I-71 N to I-76 E to I-80 E to I-95 N to NY 9A south to NYC streets.

From just down the road from my house at Oh 61@I-71 there is a Williams
Truck stop almost completed (competition for Flying J obviously) and ODOT

put up a LED traffic light for the south part of the diamond interchange
there (just a stop sign for the off ramp on the northside of the diamond
still)

For Dave, there's a homemade billboard on along NB I-71 just before the US

250
interchange that proclaims...
"Ashland (oh), world headquarters of nice people." Got picture.

(For those who keep track) Ashland County's Ohio Centennial barn is on the

eastside of I-71 facing NB traffic between US 30 and 250.

I saw my first memorial for a State highway trooper who killed by a drunk
driver along NB I-71 between US 250 and Oh 301. You see a state flag, a

national flag, and the trooper's name beneath.

> ODOT is grading the medium to start widening of I-71 from US 30 all the
way
> to I-76. In between there, there is a section currently being worked on
and
> should be finished by summer.

I-76 between I-71 and Akron has those overhead truck sensors (like on I-75

What's the construction on I-76 east of Akron for?

For Marc, got pictures of the double lines and the no passing signs along
I-76/80 over the reservoirs near Youngstown.
Got a BGS with directions to NYC and Pittsburgh, and the last control city

mileage sign with NYC in Ohio.

Who it Gordon Ward, and why is the I-80@PA 60 interchange named for him (ran
out of highways to name?)

What's with the empty BGS supports on I-80, in both directions going towards
I-79? They are on the side of the road and look like clothes line supports.

There are several control city distance signs that list Williamsport above
Milton along I-80 EB. The significance, Williamsport is further away than
Milton.

What's with all the crossing white and yellow lines along I-80 EB (just past
milemarker 200)

Just west of the 309 interchange (exit 39) with I-80 is road called 'Old
Turnpike Road.' Anyone know any history with that

The BGS for the NE turnpike extension must still be from the sixties. You
have the olive green color, everything spelled out, and a I-476 shield added

beneath the BGS along a sign support.

> [...]

other) that isn't tolled leaving NJ?
(BTW, we can thank the original Lincoln Highway Committee for that)

> And to Frank Currio, you will enjoy my Calhoun St toll bridge picture
taking
> story. :-)

Ah yes, the Calhoun St. toll bridge (Trenton) story. I park my car just

south of the bridge on the PA side and walk along the bank of the river
heading north. I get close enough to take a picture of the back of a LHA
marker. I walk over towards the intersection of Calhoun St and PA 32 and
debate how close I want to get to get a picture of the front side of said
marker, when someone comes out of a toll house (it doesn't look any modern
toll booth, people) and tells (yell?) at me to go away, that I can't take
any pictures of the structure. I was sort of shocked and walked away.

Very Bizarre.

PennDOT and the Pa Turnpike are going to have a hard time squeezing an
interchange @ I-95 & I-276 without taking out something already built and
privately owned. Good luck.

> Sunday - Philly to Middle of Nowhere, Oh. Aka, racing the storm.

> Philly streets to I-95 S to I-695 Counter Clockwise to I-70 W to I-68 W to
> I-79 N to I-70 W to I-470 W to I-70 W to I-270 CCW to I-71 N to US 36 E to
> Delaware County roads and briefly a Morrow County road into home.

Plenty of Variable traffic signs along I-95 between Delaware state and

Baltimore work. They all mentioned possible icing.
However same signs along I-695 and I-70 had nothing on them.

Where's the north end point of I-895? BGS for I-95 SB @ I-695 had I-895
shields with the I-95 shields.

I didn't notice any End I-70 signs approaching I-695. Just the infamous
Park
n'ride BGS.

Where was that section of I-70/US 40 that wasn't Interstate standard west of

Baltimore? I tried to look for clues of its former existence (remember what

the weather was that day)

Plenty of construction with I-70@ I-270 near Fredrick, Md.

I saw some construction along I-68 near WVa 981. Is that part of the PA 43
project?

> Plenty of precip the whole trip, with I-68 having the worst weather

> conditions with snow and fog which made things very interesting at times.
> But I'll have to try that route again when the weather isn't a factor.

So with the impromptu detour last Sunday, I added 19 counties (total for the

trip) to my collection and completed my first 2di interstate (I-68, woo
hoo!). I have driven the Lincoln Highway's entire route in NJ and NY now
(added to Ind, Ill, Iowa, and Neb), and have added plenty of interstate
miles, but little in US routes this time around.

So there. :-)

--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - Talking about I-73 at an academic conference near

Roaddog

Mar 11, 2001, 3:45:21 AM3/11/01
>Where's the north end point of I-895? BGS for I-95 SB @ I-695 had I-895
>shields with the I-95 shields.

Exit 61 on I-95 sb, where large overhead signs direct I-895 traffic towards
Annapolis. This is a simple y interchange. Incidentally, there is almost always
a police officer lurking under the I-95 nb overpass over I-895 enforcing the
paltry 50 mph speed limit.

>I didn't notice any End I-70 signs aproaching I-695. Just the infamous Park
>n'ride BGS.

Only END Signage of any sorts is the white/black I-70 ENDS at I-695.
See: http://www.aaroads.com/roadtrips/baltimore/i-70.html

>Where was that section of I-70/US 40 that wasn't Interstate standard west of
>Baltimore? I tried to look for clues of its former existance (remember what
>the weather was that day)

You have to take I-395 north to the MLK Drive Blvd exit. Upon exiting from
I-395, take MLK about a mile, and you'll run into the eastern terminus of that
said freeway. Button copy signs are still in place there with greened out I-170
shields. I still have a crop of photos of the signs and the freeway waiting to
be developed...

Alex
Kitty Hawk, NC
--
http://www.aaroads.com

mrpete

Mar 11, 2001, 10:44:05 AM3/11/01

> As promised from before, some more details from trip to NYC and more.

> (For those who keep track) Ashland County's Ohio Centenial barn is on the

> eastside of I-71 facing NB traffic between US 30 and 250.

I think these barns are rather cool. Is there anything on the internet
about them?

> I saw my first memorial for a State highway trooper who killed by a drunk
> driver along NB I-71 between US 250 and Oh 301. You see a state flag, a
> national flag, and the trooper's name beneith.

Is this something Ohio is going to start doing?

> For Marc, got pictures of the double lines and the no passing signs along
> I-76/80 over the reservoirs near Youngstown.

ODOT is going to rebuilt the ones over I-80 sometime soon...

> Got a BGS with directions to NYC and Pittsburgh, and the last control city
> milage sign with NYC in Ohio.

I'm thinking that Youngstown to NYC has to be one of the longest controil
city distances east of the Mississippi.

> What's with all the crossing white and yellow lines along I-80 EB (just
past
> milemarker 200)

They are also on the Westbound side.

Sandor, did you get a picture of the "Highest point on I-80 east of the
Mississippi River" sign?

Was there still construction at the US 15 interchange? If so, what are they
doing there?

> I'll save AAG for another post

-Pete Jenior

Crl4u14857

Mar 11, 2001, 2:35:11 PM3/11/01
>Where's the north end point of I-895? BGS for I-95 SB @ I-695 had I-895
>shields with the I-95 shields.

I-895, is the Old Harbor Tunnel Thruway. Untill I-95, and The Ft. Mc Henry
Tunnel was built in the 80's, The Harbor Tunnel, or The Baltimore Beltway were
the only way to avoid Downtown Baltimore Traffic. The Harbor Tunnel was opened
to traffic in 1957, thus eliminating a major, north south bottleneck, called
Baltimore City. The original route of the Thruway Started in the North, at
US40, Pulaski Hwy. on the Eastern side of Baltimore, and ran through to US1,
Washington Blv. on the South. This road was not given the I-895 Route number
until the late 80's. The North end point of I-895 is a deverge of I-95 South to
the right, at the Baltimore City Line. The South end point is again I-95,
between Baltimore and Washington D.C. For those travelling I-95 south through
Baltimore, this is an excellent Alternate route. >Where was that section of

I-70/US 40 that wasn't Interstate standard west of
>Baltimore?

I think you mean The Baltimore National Pike, between Baltimore and Frederick
Md. The original US40 west out of Baltimore is now Md. 144, and can almost be
traced all the way to Frederick. In the 50's Maryland rebuilt US40 from
Baltimore to Frederick, new land area, and a dual hwy. From Baltimore to just
west Of Ellicott City, US40 is still the same, although it is a major area of
suburban spraw, lots of shopping centers, and new home communities. If you are
travelling west on I-70, about 4 miles after the US29 exit, I-70 joins US40.
You will know this because the road becomes 6 lanes. This is the part of US40
that was brought up to Interstate standards, in the 1970's. This continues to
just West of New Market, where the rebuilt US40, exits to the right as Md. 144.

Sandor G

Mar 11, 2001, 3:39:10 PM3/11/01
mrpete <mrp...@fuse.net> wrote in message

> "Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message
>
> Sandor, did you get a picture of the "Highest point on I-80 east of the
> Mississippi River" sign?

Saw it, but missed taking a picture due to a couple of trucks in the way

> Was there still construction at the US 15 interchange? If so, what are
they
> doing there?

Well, they still have Big Orange Signs up there, took a picture of that.
But I didn't see any active construction.

--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - Talked about I-73 at an academic conference near

Sandor G

Mar 11, 2001, 3:32:16 PM3/11/01
Roaddog <aar...@aol.comus158> wrote in message

> >Where was that section of I-70/US 40 that wasn't Interstate standard west
of
> >Baltimore? I tried to look for clues of its former existance (remember
what
> >the weather was that day)
>
> You have to take I-395 north to the MLK Drive Blvd exit. Upon exiting from
> I-395, take MLK about a mile, and you'll run into the eastern terminus of
that
> said freeway. Button copy signs are still in place there with greened out
I-170
> shields. I still have a crop of photos of the signs and the freeway
waiting to
> be developed...

No, not in Baltimore, but out west in the suburbs between I-695 and I-270.

--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - Talked about I-73 at an academic conference near

Brian Polidoro

Mar 12, 2001, 5:02:40 PM3/12/01
(snip)

> Where was that section of I-70/US 40 that wasn't Interstate standard west
of
> Baltimore? I tried to look for clues of its former existance (remember
what
> the weather was that day)

Info on this can be found at MDroads.com:
http://www.mdroads.com/routes/is070.html

Brian Polidoro

Raymond C Martin Jr

Mar 12, 2001, 8:05:24 PM3/12/01
> (for the Rand McNally lurkers) There are End I-80
signs just before you
> reach I-95 in New Jersey. IOW, they don't multiplex
like maps say they do.

Well documented here:
http://www.aaroads.com/iterminus/i-80/east80.html

> > Thursday - Road trip around the greater NYC area
with David Greenberger.
> > Don't look at me for a report, I thought he would
of posted something by
> > now.
>
> (alright here's my attempt at remembering, with
photos at hand)
> Visited a parking lot underneith a traffic circle
(Hudson Pkwy @ 96th or 72
> st)
>
> Did the circle route around Manhatten Island up to
the Cross Bronx Expwy.
> Then over to the Cloisters and through Washington
Hts.
> Then over the GW bridge and then north on the
Palisades Interstate Parkway
> up to Bear Mtn state park and crossed the Hudson and
back south.

> I'll save AAG for another post
>

> > Saturday - NYC to Philly - NYC streets to Lincoln
tunnel to more city
> > streets as I traced the Lincoln Highway from
Weehauken to Newark. Then NJ
> > 27 S to US 22 E to I-78(?)E to I-95 S to I-195 W
to I-295 N back to I-95 S
> > to US 206 S through downtown Trenton to PA 32 W(?)
to US 1 S to I-95 S to
> > PA 611 N to South Philly (stayed with friend who
lives two blocks south of
> > the South St)
>
> (Again for those who keep track) Rosevelt Stadium is
still standing in
> Jersey City? (Brooklyn Dodger historians would know
the importance of this
> stadium)
>
> > What the heck is that interchange between US
22/I-78/I-95? If it wasn't
> > for the fact that I was only going 20 MPH I could
of swore I was on some F1
> > course.
>
> I took two pictures while driving on the NJ
turnpike. Let the proper
> authorities know. ;-P

You mean this interchange?
http://www.njfreeways.com/NJUS-1-9PulaskiSkywayApproachMap.html

> I only saw three I-95 shields along the NJTP between
Newark and I-195.
> No mention of I-95 on I-195 EB towards the NJTP,

If you really were on I-195 EB towards the NJTP, you
just weren't looking hard enough:
http://www.njfreeways.com/NJI-95WCentralJerseyPictures.html

> however signage along I-295 gives the feeling that
it's Temp I-95 between
> it's *technical* end and I-195.

Indeed:
http://www.njfreeways.com/NJI-95WSouthJerseyPictures.html

> The old US 1 bridge (the has in Neon, What Trenton
Makes, the World takes)
> is non toll in leaving NJ. One of two (I-95 over
the Delaware being the
> other) that isn't tolled leaving NJ? (BTW, we can
thank the original Lincoln Highway Committee for that)

> > And to Frank Currio, you will enjoy my Calhoun St
toll bridge picture
> > taking story. :-)
>
> Ah yes, the Calhoun St. toll bridge (Trenton) story.
I park my car just
> south of the bridge on the PA side and walk along
the bank of the river
> heading north. I get close enough to take a picture
of the back of a LHA
> marker. I walk over towards the intersection of
Calhoun St and PA 32 and

> debate how close I want to get to get a picture of

the front side of said
> marker, when someone comes out of a toll house (it
doesn't look any modern
> toll booth, people) and tells (yell?) at me to go
away, that I can't take
> any pictures of the structure. I was sort of
shocked and walked away.

> Very Bizare.

I've driven over that bridge about 50 times... I've
never had to pay any toll... That hous is simply a
watch post, nothing more...

=====
Raymond C Martin Jr
Second Year Meteorology Undergraduate, Cook College, Rutgers University
Premier New Jersey Road Videographer
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/7642/index.html
http://www.njfreeways.com/

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

--
Posted from web12106.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.172.26]

David J. Greenberger

Mar 13, 2001, 12:34:36 AM3/13/01
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> writes:

> Who it Gordon Ward, and why is the I-80@PA 60 interchange named for him (ran
> out of highways to name?)

PennDOT likes to give honorary names to interchanges. In addition to
this one, I've mentioned the I-86 - I-90 interchange (not to be confused
with the overpass carrying the ramp from I-86 over I-90, which has a
different name entirely). IMO, this practice leads to sign clutter.

> What's with the empty BGS supports on I-80, in both directions going towards
> I-79? They are on the side of the road and look like clothes line supports.

I don't know. Did you see any shirts hanging?

> The BGS for the NE turnpike extension must still be from the sixties. You
> have the olive green color, everything spelled out, and a I-476 shield added
> beneith the BGS along a sign support.

Many of the BGSs on I-80 in eastern Pennsylvania are from that era.

> (alright here's my attempt at remembering, with photos at hand)
> Visited a parking lot underneith a traffic circle (Hudson Pkwy @ 96th or 72
> st)

79th, actually. There is a row of real phone booths (with doors! and
phones!) by the pedestrian entrance, for those who cares.

> Did the circle route around Manhatten Island up to the Cross Bronx Expwy.

Counterclockwise, FWIW.

> Then over to the Cloisters and through Washington Hts.
> Then over the GW bridge and then north on the Palisades Interstate Parkway
> up to Bear Mtn state park and crossed the Hudson and back south.

That about covers it. I mentioned a few of the highlights in my
followup to your earlier post. I'll mention again the tunnel portal
about halfway down the Highbridge Park cliff, underneath the
Trans-Manhattan Expressway -- not to be confused with the tunnel portals
alongside the TME, which I've known about for a long time. Does anybody
know what the story is?

> I took two pictures while driving on the NJ turnpike. Let the proper
> authorities know. ;-P

It's legal, I tell you, it's legal! As long as you didn't stop or
obstruct traffic to take your pictures, at least.

> The old US 1 bridge (the has in Neon, What Trenton Makes, the World takes)
> is non toll in leaving NJ. One of two (I-95 over the Delaware being the
> other) that isn't tolled leaving NJ?

I believe that's known as the Trenton Makes Bridge.

There are a few bridges that aren't tolled in either direction. The one
on old US 22 comes to mind, as does another bridge somewhere between US
22 and US 46. There are also a few bridges that are tolled in both
directions, like the US 206 bridge and the (private) Dingmans Ferry
Bridge. But every bridge between New Jersey and any other state that's
tolled in one direction is tolled leaving New Jersey.
--
David J. Greenberger

Jeff Kitsko

Mar 13, 2001, 11:37:05 AM3/13/01
The Highest Point on I 80 East of the Mississippi sign is a tricky one to
get, with it being right at an on-ramp and with heavy truck traffic on the
road.

The project in question is probably the one that is detailed here:
http://www.i80projectexit30to32.com/

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/
Pittsburgh Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/pghhwys/
Philadelphia Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/phlhwys/

"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message

Jeff Kitsko

Mar 13, 2001, 11:43:45 AM3/13/01
> > Who it Gordon Ward, and why is the I-80@PA 60 interchange named for him
(ran
> > out of highways to name?)
>
> PennDOT likes to give honorary names to interchanges. In addition to
> this one, I've mentioned the I-86 - I-90 interchange (not to be confused
> with the overpass carrying the ramp from I-86 over I-90, which has a
> different name entirely). IMO, this practice leads to sign clutter.

Not to mention a pain when you are doing exit guides. I have no idea who
Gordon Ward is, just as I have no idea who Raymond Wilt is for whom I 279
north is named. He is probably a state senator who got money for the
interchange.

> > What's with the empty BGS supports on I-80, in both directions going
towards
> > I-79? They are on the side of the road and look like clothes line
supports.

> I don't know. Did you see any shirts hanging?

Sign rehabilitation.

> > The BGS for the NE turnpike extension must still be from the sixties.
You
> > have the olive green color, everything spelled out, and a I-476 shield
added
> > beneith the BGS along a sign support.
>
> Many of the BGSs on I-80 in eastern Pennsylvania are from that era.

Get them while you can, as come this year they will be replaced with the new
high-insensity green signs when the exit renumbering takes place. Although,
I am very surprised that they are still circa-1970s signs, as the mainline's
signs were all replaced in the early-mid 1990s.

mrpete

Mar 13, 2001, 5:56:12 PM3/13/01

"Jeff Kitsko" <jjki...@home.com> wrote in message

> The Highest Point on I 80 East of the Mississippi sign is a tricky one to
> get, with it being right at an on-ramp and with heavy truck traffic on the
> road.

I don't remember an on ramp, but I could be wrong.

> The project in question is probably the one that is detailed here:
> http://www.i80projectexit30to32.com/

It's east of this area.
-Pete Jenior