OH Rd Trip VII - Youngstown & NW - the retakes

Marc Fannin

Oct 13, 2003, 8:35:14 PM10/13/03
Sandor Gulyas came up to Northeast Ohio today (13) to visit some
people so he asked me to help out with Ohio Road Trip VII, which
essentially was a trip to retake some of the bad photos from the March
2000 Road Trip III in Youngstown
http://www.roadfan.com/triprep.html
plus a few other local detours. This time around there wasn't a cloud
in the sky (weather was the problem with the last trip, not the right
film to adjust for the thick cloud deck that rolled in at sunset,
though this time around sun glare gave us problems a couple of
times...but we also got some nice foliage). Photos were all taken by
Sandor's cameras and will be developed in the near future.

Starting/ending point: Hiram (Jct. Ohio 82/305/700)

Basic route (some small deviations, especially in Youngstown):
SR 700 NB to SR 87 EB to SR 608 SB to SR 528 SB to Parkman-Nelson Rd
SB (south continuation) to SR 305 EB to Warren-Burton Rd EB (old US
422) to US 422 EB through Warren into Youngstown...

Lots of circular routes around Youngstown, most involving the I-680/US
422/US 62/SR 7/SR 193 downtown loop and and others involving at-grade
US 422 and I-80/SR 11 ( http://www.roadfan.com/yngrd.html has details
from the previous excursion)...

Then I-80 WB to SR 44 NB then cutting the corner on local roads to SR
82 EB.

(This entire route is within the pp. 42-43 spread of the Ohio DeLorme
atlas if you're following along, convenient for writing this report
:) )

Details of note:

- Many end photos

- Photos of the only two-lane US 422 between Cleveland and Youngstown
(4 miles around the SR 700 section)

- Middlefield NW bypass construction (I also have photos from earlier
in the year to be developed) - no word as to any route designation

- Many shields in Parkman (Jct US 422/SR 88/168/528)

- Tried photographing US 422 between Parkman and SR 282 where the EB
alignment is much more hilly than the WB (original vs addition) -
we'll see how it comes out....

- Nothing much of note in Warren except a relatively new SR 82 shield
east of downtown which looked like it was made in a year more recent
than when SR 82 was moved to the bypass, plus a SR 422 error where old
SR 5 met it and SR 169 on the east side of town

- Nothing much more than the sign etc retakes in Youngstown, with the
major exception of exploring current/under-construction SR 711
( http://www.roadwise.org/default.asp?VIEW=PROJECT&PROJECT=SR711YOUNGSTOWN
)
...I'll let Sandor explain this one :) Otherwise, the only other
mention is that an erroneous US 289 shield within the downtown loop
spotted on Road Trip III was gone (no doubt due to a pavement milling
project on the western part)

That's all from my perspective...I will send this now so it's waiting
for Sandor when he gets back to Columbus :)

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Marc Fannin

Oct 14, 2003, 4:33:47 PM10/14/03
This thread now has a parallel in the greatlakesroads Yahoo! Group:

Steve

Oct 14, 2003, 7:46:55 PM10/14/03
Someone tell glr that this thread now has a parallel in misc.transport.road.

--
Steve
GO YANKEES!

Pete Jenior

Oct 14, 2003, 10:14:29 PM10/14/03

"Marc Fannin" <musx...@kent.edu> wrote in message

> This thread now has a parallel in the greatlakesroads Yahoo! Group:

That's kind of interesting, but *please* do not inform us everytime this
occurs in the future...
-Pete

Jeff Kitsko

Oct 14, 2003, 10:39:59 PM10/14/03
"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message

WHEW...I thought I was seeing things. Glad I wasn't the only one :-0.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

Marc Fannin

Oct 15, 2003, 2:46:54 PM10/15/03
"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote...

> "Marc Fannin" <musx...@kent.edu> wrote...

> > This thread now has a parallel in the greatlakesroads Yahoo! Group:

> That's kind of interesting, but *please* do not inform us everytime this
> occurs in the future...

I still will, just not in its own post like I did this time (this was
my first crossposting between the two groups, and I did remember to
mention m.t.r in the GLR posting). I didn't realize that Sandor was
going to reply there and not here, and he had all the Ohio 711 walking
journey details which I mentioned briefly in my posts. Had he replied
here, I might not have mentioned GLR here at all.

Dan Garnell

Oct 16, 2003, 4:26:47 PM10/16/03
> > That's kind of interesting, but *please* do not inform us everytime this
> > occurs in the future...
>
> WHEW...I thought I was seeing things. Glad I wasn't the only one :-0.

Me three. :P

Dan