Notes from the 1st Western PA MTR meeting

APri...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
On a rainy day when I forgot to bring my camera, Bruce Cridlebaugh, Jeff
Kitsko, Chris Cuomo, and myself met for the first ever Western PA mtr meeting.

All went well, good discusion and proposals, and an enjoyable presentation
slide-show by Olga Herbert, Executive Director of the Lincoln Highway Heritage
Corridor here in PA.

It was raining and I forgot my camera what can I say and there were some good
pictures on the way including a 4diPA route marker on PA TOLL 66. It is PA
6066 which is actually Business PA 66.

I am going to try and get in touch with Joe Grata, transportation writer for
the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, to attend our next meeting. But before that we
need a meeting date. Any proposed dates gentlemen? Some time in April or May
would work for me.

Here's an idea, have it on the parking lot at the old Greater Pittsburgh
Airport.

Adam Prince

"Merge Here...Take your turn"
---PennDot

JJKITSKO

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
>I am going to try and get in touch with Joe Grata, transportation writer for
>the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, to attend our next meeting. But before that we
>need a meeting date. Any proposed dates gentlemen? Some time in April or May
>would work for me.

How about even June? As I mentioned at the meeting, we should combine ours
with the Ohio guys. I know they were having problems getting people because of
school schedules. That would be close to the abandoned parking lots.

Jeff Kitsko
PA Highways: http://hometown.aol.com/PAHIGHWAYS/main.html

leopard

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

JJKITSKO wrote in message <19990301231154...@ng-da1.aol.com>...

>How about even June? As I mentioned at the meeting, we should combine ours
>with the Ohio guys. I know they were having problems getting people
because of
>school schedules. That would be close to the abandoned parking lots.

Well Spring break starts for me (unofficially) on St. Patrick's Day and
Spring Quarter (for Ohio State) begins on March 31. I believe, and JT
Ortman can correct me if I'm wrong, that Spring Quarter will end about June
10 (add another week to that for exams). I can't comment on the Bowling
Green and Kent State people.
As for where to meet? I know of an abandon stretch of US 40 between
Cambridge and Wheeling. :-)

SJG
bt...@bright.net - home
guly...@osu.edu - all things geographic and soon to be amateur storm
chaser.

BCBA

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
JJKITSKO wrote:

> >I am going to try and get in touch with Joe Grata, transportation writer for
> >the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, to attend our next meeting. But before that we
> >need a meeting date. Any proposed dates gentlemen? Some time in April or May
> >would work for me.
>
> How about even June? As I mentioned at the meeting, we should combine ours
> with the Ohio guys. I know they were having problems getting people because of
> school schedules. That would be close to the abandoned parking lots.

We met at the renovated Greensburg train station...and made the required
smarty-pants comments about whether it was appropriate to include a rail
facility in an mtr event :-)

We were treated to homemade apple pie and had no problem filling 3.5
hours of high bandwidth on-topic conversation.

Seems we agree on venturing out to the field for some bushwhacking
explorations. We should probably compile a list of suggested sites in
the area.

In the airport area, we've talked about the unused lanes of old PA60
near the cargo area, the superelevation on Beers School Rd, old PA978
and other roads cut off by the FAA, White Swan Park site and abandoned
roads along McClarens Run, Ewing & Resurrection Rd, Moon-Clinton Rd and
Flaugherty Run Rd connections to new PA60. (we'll have to be careful we
don't go off-topic and talk about misc.transport.aviation...)

Not too far south and west of the area are US30 and old alignments, the
corner marker for Allegheny County at Murdocksville, US22 and old
Stubenville Pike alignments, ancient iron bridges (with at least a dozen
nesting cranes...the birds not the construction machines).

When it's my turn to host again, i can suggest some hidden treasures in
the Monroeville area.

Possible PA-OH midway meeting points:
US40 old alignments
Zanesville Y-bridge
Wheeling suspension bridge

--bruce cridlebaugh

APri...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
Well once we decide on a date I can work on trying to get Joe Grata to meet
with us.

I am for that old US 40 alignment that dies right into the hill side of I-70

It's a 4 labne road that just halts by fill created for I-70

Wondering what that alignment was since I first saw it

> Seems we agree on venturing out to the field for some bushwhacking
> explorations. We should probably compile a list of suggested sites in
> the area.
>
> In the airport area, we've talked about the unused lanes of old PA60
> near the cargo area, the superelevation on Beers School Rd, old PA978
> and other roads cut off by the FAA, White Swan Park site and abandoned
> roads along McClarens Run, Ewing & Resurrection Rd, Moon-Clinton Rd and
> Flaugherty Run Rd connections to new PA60. (we'll have to be careful we
> don't go off-topic and talk about misc.transport.aviation...)
>
> Not too far south and west of the area are US30 and old alignments, the
> corner marker for Allegheny County at Murdocksville, US22 and old
> Stubenville Pike alignments, ancient iron bridges (with at least a dozen
> nesting cranes...the birds not the construction machines).
>
> When it's my turn to host again, i can suggest some hidden treasures in
> the Monroeville area.
>
> Possible PA-OH midway meeting points:
> US40 old alignments
> Zanesville Y-bridge
> Wheeling suspension bridge

ze...@magicnet.net

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In article <36DED...@prisma-graphicdesign.com>,
sys...@prisma-graphicdesign.com wrote:

> Possible PA-OH midway meeting points:
> US40 old alignments
> Zanesville Y-bridge
> Wheeling suspension bridge
>

> --bruce cridlebaugh

How old is the current Wheeling suspension bridge road surface?

ze...@magicnet.net

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In article <7bp570$1cd$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, APri...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Well once we decide on a date I can work on trying to get Joe Grata to meet
> with us.
>
> I am for that old US 40 alignment that dies right into the hill side of I-70
>
> It's a 4 labne road that just halts by fill created for I-70
>
> Wondering what that alignment was since I first saw it

There is the old Rodi Road concrete cut off by the Parkway East Extension
east of Pittsburgh. One could have a picnic there...I can see it now..a
police car drives by and sees a bunch of people down there..I think they
would investigate.