LANE DURATION...

Presnwap

Dec 16, 2003, 8:29:26 PM12/16/03
What is the longest lane duration that anyone can think of? What I mean by
lane duration is how long a lane continues without becoming an exit only for
an interchange etc. It's not easy enough to say "ohh well it should be
obvious.... the left lane!" because many times esp, in urban areas the left
lane can turn into an exit only. How long can you drive on a road without
being forced to shift lanes to escape getting off the road?

For people familiar with New Orleans. suppose you are at the Superdome
and you intend to travel west to Metairie. In between Carrollton Ave/Tulane
Ave and Claiborne Ave. there are 5 travel lanes each way. The left 3 come
from Bus 90 (Future I-49), while only the left two come from I-10. Then
they all join briefly for I-10. 1/4 mile later, the right two lanes (that
were formerly mainline I-10) are exit only's for Exit 232.

Another. The 2 I-610 east lanes that flyover I-10 to then merge with I-10
east.... right lane must exit to I-10's Exit 239A, and a mile after that
former I-610's left lane is an exit only for Exit 239B.

I hope I made my question clear enough so people can respond.

-stephen
--
http://www.angelfire.com/super2/gantrification
I-49 South, Lafayette to New Orleans

Steve

Dec 16, 2003, 8:37:40 PM12/16/03
Presnwap wrote:

Except, from your examples, I can't tell if you want longest or
shortest. In NJ, I-280 merges with unbuilt NJ 75 (now exit 13) in a 2/3
merge, and then the two I-280 lanes exit to exit 12 (Garden State
Parkway) about half a mile later. I mean, in terms of longest lanes, I
imagine you can get pretty far along I-90, I-40, I-10, or I-80 without
switching lanes in the West/Midwest.

--
Steve
GO RANGERS!... GO... JETS!... KNICKS?

Andy P. Jung

Dec 16, 2003, 11:17:45 PM12/16/03
"Presnwap" <pres...@cox.netNOSPAM> wrote in message

> What is the longest lane duration that anyone can think of? What I mean
by
> lane duration is how long a lane continues without becoming an exit only
for
> an interchange etc. It's not easy enough to say "ohh well it should be
> obvious.... the left lane!" because many times esp, in urban areas the
left
> lane can turn into an exit only. How long can you drive on a road without
> being forced to shift lanes to escape getting off the road?
>
> For people familiar with New Orleans. suppose you are at the Superdome
> and you intend to travel west to Metairie. In between Carrollton
Ave/Tulane
> Ave and Claiborne Ave. there are 5 travel lanes each way. The left 3 come
> from Bus 90 (Future I-49), while only the left two come from I-10. Then
> they all join briefly for I-10. 1/4 mile later, the right two lanes (that
> were formerly mainline I-10) are exit only's for Exit 232.

Think about the far left lane and where it came from (the CCC toll booth).
Believe it or not, this I-10 Westbound left lane goes all the way to Houston
and ends at US 59 South.

> Another. The 2 I-610 east lanes that flyover I-10 to then merge with
I-10
> east.... right lane must exit to I-10's Exit 239A, and a mile after that
> former I-610's left lane is an exit only for Exit 239B.
>
> I hope I made my question clear enough so people can respond.
>
> -stephen
> --
> http://www.angelfire.com/super2/gantrification
> I-49 South, Lafayette to New Orleans

Hey Stephen, have you gotten around to updating the page with the new I-49
south roadtrip pictures link I sent you?
http://www.jungworld.com/Art/Pictures/Roadgeeking/I-49%20South%20Roadtrip/
or
http://tinyurl.com/zl5h

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Presnwap

Dec 17, 2003, 1:19:09 AM12/17/03
Andy, no I haven't gotten around to it yet. I will soon now that I have
time in between semesters. Also, I don't want them to erase my web site
simply because I haven't logged onto Angelfire in a while or edited it.

Also, LaDOTD still hasn't put up VMS on those 5 posts around New Orleans
even though the posts have been up for almost 2 months. Another example of
Louisiana screwing up.
I finally figured out the deal with the Bonnabel/Causeway double signage
between Clearview and Causeway... My theory is that all Bonnabel traffic
will exit at Causeway (similar to the West End Blvd, Canal Blvd exit on
I-610) so that entering Causeway traffic to I-10 east doesn't have to deal
with exiting Bonnabel traffic.

-stephen
--
http://www.angelfire.com/super2/gantrification
I-49 South, Lafayette to New Orleans

"Andy P. Jung" <spam@yourownrisk> wrote in message

Andy P. Jung

Dec 17, 2003, 1:30:00 AM12/17/03

> Andy, no I haven't gotten around to it yet. I will soon now that I have
> time in between semesters. Also, I don't want them to erase my web site
> simply because I haven't logged onto Angelfire in a while or edited it.
>
> Also, LaDOTD still hasn't put up VMS on those 5 posts around New Orleans
> even though the posts have been up for almost 2 months. Another example
of
> Louisiana screwing up.
> I finally figured out the deal with the Bonnabel/Causeway double signage
> between Clearview and Causeway... My theory is that all Bonnabel traffic
> will exit at Causeway (similar to the West End Blvd, Canal Blvd exit on
> I-610) so that entering Causeway traffic to I-10 east doesn't have to deal
> with exiting Bonnabel traffic.
> -stephen
> --
> http://www.angelfire.com/super2/gantrification
> I-49 South, Lafayette to New Orleans

Also, the variable signs on the Atchafalaya viaduct is 60 and strictly 55
for trucks. Last weekend on my way to Hammond the variable signs are also 60
on the I-10 LaPlace-Kenner viaduct but I-55 still have them covered but one
of the tarp covering the sign blew off and it revealed a 70 sign. I know the
7 would probably be covered up with a 6 which sucks. I was hoping that
LaDoTD would wait until the new governor took office before pulling the tarp
off and bringing back the 70 MPH limit on the viaducts during favorable
warther conditions. 60 is just too friggin slow and I feel like an idiot
being passed up by numerous vehicles even when I'm doing 68. I just know if
I even try to keep up with traffic that the State Police will pick on me and
pull me over for a speeding violation.

Michael G. Koerner

Dec 17, 2003, 2:59:33 AM12/17/03
"Andy P. Jung" wrote:

> "Presnwap" <pres...@cox.netNOSPAM> wrote in message
> > What is the longest lane duration that anyone can think of? What I mean
> by
> > lane duration is how long a lane continues without becoming an exit only
> for
> > an interchange etc. It's not easy enough to say "ohh well it should be
> > obvious.... the left lane!" because many times esp, in urban areas the
> left
> > lane can turn into an exit only. How long can you drive on a road without
> > being forced to shift lanes to escape getting off the road?
> >
> > For people familiar with New Orleans. suppose you are at the Superdome
> > and you intend to travel west to Metairie. In between Carrollton
> Ave/Tulane
> > Ave and Claiborne Ave. there are 5 travel lanes each way. The left 3 come
> > from Bus 90 (Future I-49), while only the left two come from I-10. Then
> > they all join briefly for I-10. 1/4 mile later, the right two lanes (that
> > were formerly mainline I-10) are exit only's for Exit 232.
>
> Think about the far left lane and where it came from (the CCC toll booth).
> Believe it or not, this I-10 Westbound left lane goes all the way to Houston
> and ends at US 59 South.

I'm not sure how things line up anymore due to recent interchange
re-engineering in both the Deerfield, IL and Milwaukee, WI areas, but a
few years ago one was able to drive from Michigan's Lower Peninsula to
Da YuPee by a route other than the Mackinac Bridge without changing
lanes. One of the lanes on WB I-94 in Michigan continued through
Indiana into Illinois to become the center lane on the Tri-State Tollway
(disregarding tollgate areas, of course), it then continued through
Wisconsin on I-94, I-894, US 45, US 41 (it was the NB left lane on that
highway) and on back into Michigan via US 141.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Ken Weaverling

Dec 17, 2003, 1:43:45 PM12/17/03
In article <WjODb.4839$ti2.4516@lakeread03>,

Presnwap <pres...@cox.netNOSPAM> wrote:
>What is the longest lane duration that anyone can think of? What I mean by
>lane duration is how long a lane continues without becoming an exit only for
>an interchange etc.

Well, any toll booth will bugger up something like this, technically.

Anyone thinking this through and ignoring tollbooths can forget 95 NB
when hit hits Delaware. There is no through lane. Once you come out of
the tolls on I-95 NB in Delaware, there isn't a single lane you can
sit in that will get carry you through I-95 through the state. The
right lane heads down I-295, the second lane splits and goes down
I-295 and I-495, the third lane ends up on I-495 and the far left lane
becomes a right-lane exit only at exit 6 in Wilmington.

All of which creates hell for Wilmington commuters since after they
enter the highway at exits 1, 3, or 4, they all have about two miles
(from exit 4) to dance over to the far left lane to get to Wilmington.

--

Ken Weaverling (ken @ weaverling.org) WHOIS: KJW http://www.weaverling.org/

Jason P

Dec 17, 2003, 3:09:25 PM12/17/03
"Presnwap" <pres...@cox.netNOSPAM> wrote in message news:<WjODb.4839$ti2.4516@lakeread03>...

I don't count HOV lanes as lanes in the following discussion.

If you head EB on I-10 in Arizona, you can get through the entire
state keeping left. From the border, a lane is added on the right near
Dysart. You will stay in the leftmost lane for the duration of Phoenix
(@101, right lane collapses, @ I-17, right 2 collapses, @ SR-202/51,
right 2 collapses, @ SR-143, right 1 collapses, @ US-60, the right two
collapse and @ AZ-202 the right two collapse). After that, you're set
into Tucson. Once again, the 3rd lane is added near Cortaro, so you
are in the left and aren't forced off (the only interchange is I-19
but its under construction so I don't know how it will turn out).

Incidentally, I don't think WB would work. In Tucson, I-10 gains a
lane to the left, so you are second from the right, and this will
_probably_ force you off when the I-19 interchange is done.

You can't do it with US-60 WB either. The 3rd lane is added way out in
Apache Junction on your left. This will later force you onto the 101.

Jason

mara...@prodigy.net

Dec 17, 2003, 5:50:18 PM12/17/03
"Presnwap" <pres...@cox.netNOSPAM> wrote in message news:<WjODb.4839$ti2.4516@lakeread03>...

I believe that, if you get in the 3rd to right lane on US-101
southbound near San Jose Ave in San Francisco, you can avoid crossing
a lane boundary or giving the right of way to a merge or to a traffic
control device all of the way to the merge with I-405 in San Fernando,
a distance of some 650 km. CalTrans has reconstructed that interchange
a couple of times, so I'm not just sure that you can't go a bit past
the I-405 merge before having to yield.

US-95 northbound from Las Vegas has a single lane all of the way up to
I-80 that is only disturbed by traffic control devices (including a
STOP sign in Indian Springs) for a very similar distance. US-6 traffic
has to make a left turn.

The left lane of I-5 is continuous northbound from the CASR-99
separation up to I-580, a distance of only about 500 km.

Once east of Reno, I don't recall any lane silliness before metro Salt
Lake.

Mike Tantillo

Dec 17, 2003, 7:11:50 PM12/17/03
"Presnwap" <pres...@cox.netNOSPAM> wrote in message news:<WjODb.4839$ti2.4516@lakeread03>...

This could be tough to answer.....there are many times in construction
zones, when say on a 3-lane roadway, the left lane closes for
roadwork, the lanes shift around a bit, and when all is said and done,
the lane that "reopens" is the right lane.

> -stephen

Nathan Perry

Dec 17, 2003, 7:19:21 PM12/17/03
If you were in the left lane of I-490 eastbound approaching exit 13, you
would be in it again at Exit 17...but you would have gone all the way
around the Inner Loop. By the rules of this discussion, your trip would
have begun on the Lake Ontario State Parkway, where the NY 390 exit puts
you in the left lane of that highway. Said left lane eventually exits to
I-490 eastbound. By memory, I believe the same lane continues all the
way to the Thruway eastbound entrance.

It's not possible to keep circling the Inner Loop in a single lane, thus
making an infinite lane (well, infinite travel on a finite lane) and
winning the thread! ;-)

Mike Tantillo

Dec 18, 2003, 2:59:20 AM12/18/03
Nathan Perry <npe...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message news:<nperry-6F5844....@syrcnyrdrs-01-ge0.nyroc.rr.com>...

Well, I figured i'd check out the only circular road i'm familiar
with...the famed Capitol Beltway. Read and see if you can follow it,
and look at the interesting conclusion at the end....

Inner loop: The problem with the inner loop is the I-95 interchange
in MD. Here, you have 4 thru lanes, and the right lane becomes exit
only at US 1, and then the right lane of the remaining 3 ends to make
2. Theose lanes are replaced by two lanes from I-95 coming in on the
left. so only the right two lanes are original (and are the original
left two, which both come from I-270). The right most lane exit
only's at I-295, and is replaced on the other side of the Wilson
Bridge by a lane from US 1. The second from the right lane is
continuous from the I-95 interchange to Springfield interchange. At
Springfield, this lane divides, with the right two going to I-95
south, and the left 3 for the Beltway. SO this second from right lane
is now the rightmost of 3 lanes. This lane is replaced by a lane on
the left from I-95 north. So its still the right lane. Various
auxiliary lanes exist, and then at the I-270 interchange, the left two
lanes exit onto I-270, and the right 3 (the rightmost lane is an
auxiliary lane from Cabin John Parkway, so its the middle lane thats
continuous here) to I-495. At Wisconsin Ave, the right lane (aux from
Cabin John Parkway) becomes exit only, with the remaining two joined
by 2 lanes on the left from I-270. So the right lane from the
Springfield interchange, and thus the only continuous lane on the
Beltway from I-95 in MD, is still the right lane. However, at I-95
interchange, at the US 1 interchange, that lane becomes exit only as
described above. So the longest beltway lane on the inner loop is the
left lane on the 270 on ramp....becomes second from right at I-95,
right over the wilson bridge, back to second from right, then becomes
the right at springfield, through the I-270 interchange as the right,
then exit only onto US 1 in college park. So one lap + 8 miles is the
longest lane.

Outer loop: Still no continuous lane! But...we get a lane that does
"three laps"!! All lanes with some auxiliary lanes here and there are
continuous through the northern I-95 interchange. At I-270, the
following happens: 4 lanes approaching, then the second from the right
splits, right 2 to I-270, left 3 for I-495. Then two lanes come in
onto the left for a total of 5, and, then in a mile or so, the
rightmost lane becomes exit only at Cabin John Parkway. So basically
the lanes shift two to the right from I-270 to Cabin John Parkway. At
the springfield interchange, there is a net shift of one to the
left.....the left lane becomes exit only at I-395 north, with the lane
being replaced by one on the right from I-95. At the Wilson Bridge,
the right lane is dropped at US 1, and another is added at I-295.

OK, so see if you can follow this....the right lane from I-270 is the
3-lap lane. The right lane of 2 from I-270 is joined by 3 beltway
lanes, making it second from left of 5. Right lane exit only at Cabin
John Parkway, so second from left of 4. Left lane exit only at
I-395...left lane of 3. New lane added from I-95...left of 4. Lane
dropped at US 1, wilson bridge, lane added at I-295...left of 4 still.
Through I-95..left of 4....I-270 exit, its the left of 3. Then the
two lanes from I-270 come in on the left, meaning the lane we are
watching is the center of 5 after the first lap. Becomes the 2nd from
right of 4 at Cabin John Parkway. Becomes middle of 3 at Springfield
left exit for 395....second from left when lane is added from I-95.
Is the middle lane over the wilson bridge, still second from left all
the way back to I-270. is therefore the middle of 3 lanes between the
I-270 off and on. When I-270's two lanes come in on the left, it is
the second from right of 5 lanes. 3rd lap: right lane exit only at
Cabin John Parkway....so its the right lane. Left lane exit only at
Springfield I-395...still rightmost of 3, becomes second from right
when lane added at I-95. right lane exit only at US 1, so its the
right lane on the wilson bridge. new lane added at I-295...so its
second from right. All the way around to I-270...this is the lane
that splits...so its the rightmost beltway lane through the 270
interchange. When 2 lanes added from I-270 on the left, it becomes
the rightmost of 5. And, well, sadly this is the exit only lane for
Cabin John Parkway, and its 3 lap + 3 mile trip is over.

Conclusion: all 3 lanes on the outer loop of the Wilson Bridge are
really all the same lane. :)

Message has been deleted

Cary B. Todd

Dec 20, 2003, 5:45:13 AM12/20/03
we...@navajo.dtcc.edu (Ken Weaverling) wrote in message news:<brq851$pjr$2...@news.dtcc.edu>...

> Anyone thinking this through and ignoring tollbooths can forget 95 NB
> when hit hits Delaware. There is no through lane. Once you come out of
> the tolls on I-95 NB in Delaware, there isn't a single lane you can
> sit in that will get carry you through I-95 through the state.

Stole my thunder... I always thought that was kind of strange. Come
to think of it, southbound is irritating as well. From exit 6, going
south, only the right lane is through for I-95, IIRC. This right lane
used to be a 'must exit' lane at exit 3, but has since been re-striped
as a through lane.

Ken Weaverling

Dec 20, 2003, 6:38:25 AM12/20/03
In article <d9b6a8d9.03122...@posting.google.com>,

That changed as of about two years ago when they restripped the exit 5
area and had two lanes for exit only so the I-495 merge wouldn't have
any lanes drop after merging. So the right lane runs into the C/D
lane for exit 5 now.

Michael G. Koerner

Dec 20, 2003, 10:57:10 AM12/20/03

Now, if I-95 and I-495 were to be swapped....