Indiana 331 Moving to a new road soon

Maryszch

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Indiana 331, which ends at Old US 20 in Mishawaka will soon end at IN 23 north
of the Indiana Toll Road (I 80/90) Exit 83 interchange. The Indiana Toll Road
built this interchange to connect with the Capital Avenue Freeway. At this
time, Capital Ave. near the interchange was only a two lane connector road to
IN 23. Now it's 4 lanes between there. NIMBYists fought long and hard over
about this project. The path of the project will destroy homes. In 1996, twin
bridges were erected over the Indiana Toll Road to one street south, Cleveland
Rd. In late 1997, early 1998, the road was extended one mile south to Douglas
Road, and ends there now. There is another section of Capital Ave, 3 miles
south of Douglas Road. Most of Capital Ave in the southern section is two
lanes, except for the 4 lane section north of IN 933, Old US 33. That section
was built in 1987. As soon as this 3 mile section is built, there will be sort
of an eastern bypass of Mishawaka. All of this will be designated as IN 331. If
anyone, like Aaron Renn, or somebody else, has more info, please let me know.

Chris Marysz

Maryszch

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Here's some more info. Indiana 331 is now posted on Elm Rd./Capital Ave. in
Mishawaka. The only signage I saw is from US 20 freeway to Jefferson Blvd. As a
result, the speed limits were raised from 30/40 to 35/45, the normal limit on
state highways in the city. I got pics of the only 5 signs up right now, but I
will wait until tomorrow to post them.

Chris Marysz