question about OH Tpk proposed and cancelled extension

pauline groleau dumas

Sep 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/26/99
Hi

I checked Mike Natale's toll road page and OH Tpk section and checked the
proposed and cancelled extension of the Tpk by an other toll road from PA
border thru Cleveland,Columbus and Cincinnatti, the proposed corridor look
like the actual l-71 corridor.

I wonder if OH Tpk did the same thing as PA Tpk, lets the plans to OH Dot to
build the proposed toll road as actual l-71 when the Interstate Bill passed
in 1956?

thanks for reading

Stéphane Dumas steph...@videotron.ca

Dennis S. Gulyas

Sep 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/26/99
pauline groleau dumas <steph...@videotron.ca> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I checked Mike Natale's toll road page and OH Tpk section and checked the
> proposed and cancelled extension of the Tpk by an other toll road from PA
> border thru Cleveland,Columbus and Cincinnatti, the proposed corridor look
> like the actual l-71 corridor.
>
> I wonder if OH Tpk did the same thing as PA Tpk, lets the plans to OH Dot
> build the proposed toll road as actual l-71 when the Interstate Bill
passed
> in 1956?

Didn't you ask this before? Last I checked, the answer hasn't changed and I
haven't found any info saying otherwise.
IOW, no.

--
SJG
bt...@bright.net - home

Michael G. Koerner

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99
pauline groleau dumas wrote:

> Hi
>
> I checked Mike Natale's toll road page and OH Tpk section and checked the
> proposed and cancelled extension of the Tpk by an other toll road from PA
> border thru Cleveland,Columbus and Cincinnatti, the proposed corridor look
> like the actual l-71 corridor.
>
> I wonder if OH Tpk did the same thing as PA Tpk, lets the plans to OH Dot to
> build the proposed toll road as actual l-71 when the Interstate Bill passed
> in 1956?
>
> thanks for reading
>
> Stéphane Dumas steph...@videotron.ca

The section of I-90 in Pennsylvania was part of earlier Pennsylvania
Turnpike facilities plans. The Interstate Highway Act (1954) make those
plans moot.

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Brian Powell

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99
We've discussed this before. There never was a planned expansion of the
Ohio Turnpike system. There was talk of couple of making I-73 a toll road,
but that was killed. I recall that a couple of years ago the Ohio General
Assembly made the OH Turnpike Comm. take out some bonds to pay for free
OhDOT projects. At least that was what the news media was reporting.

--
Brian Powell
E-mail: ohhw...@hotmail.com

Dennis S. Gulyas

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99
Brian Powell <ohhw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> We've discussed this before. There never was a planned expansion of the
> Ohio Turnpike system. There was talk of couple of making I-73 a toll
road,
> but that was killed. I recall that a couple of years ago the Ohio General
> Assembly made the OH Turnpike Comm. take out some bonds to pay for free
> OhDOT projects. At least that was what the news media was reporting.
>
> --
> Brian Powell
> E-mail: ohhw...@hotmail.com
> E. Central States Road Guide: http://members.xoom.com/ohhwyguy/

I know what Brian posted above and what I said yesterday was stated as we
believed to be the truth. But after doing some research today. We were
wrong.
The Ohio State University libraries are so nice to have in posession all the
annual reports from the Ohio Turnpike Commission. It is from reading the
annual reports from 1949 (or 1948) through to 1957 that I did discover that
THERE WERE PLANS FOR AN EXTENDED TURNPIKE SYSTEM. (!!!)
When the Commission first was started, their first job was to find a path
for the turnpike. There were 5 options originally. They were...
The current Ohio Turnpike
An allignment following, roughly, US 30
An allignment following, roughly, US 40/I-70
An allignment following, roughly, (then) US 25/I-75
An allignment following, roughly, I-71
The commission decided to build allignment one first (that is the current
turnpike today)
Ground was first broken for it on October 27, 1952 with the starting of work
on the bridge over the Cuyahoga River and the (former) Ohio Canal.
By 1954 talks had begun for another Ohio Turnpike. This time it was going
to go from Cincinnati to either Toledo (Woodville is what the OTC used) or
to Conneaut. The general consensious though leaned towards a route going NE
from Cincy. The OTC mentioned going from Cincinnati to a point east of
Springfield along US 40 and again from a point along US 23 south of Delaware
to Conneaut.
By 1956, however, with the coming of the I-route system, all plans for
expansion were scuttled.
I cannot decively say who came up with the plans for I-70, 71, 75 and the
current turnpike first. The OTC or the US dept. of Comerence. Remember
there were plans for an I-route system as far back as 1948 and in that
national system (for Ohio) were plans for something simular to the current
routings for I-70, 71, and 75 (the current Ohio Turnpike isn't as fortunet
however). So, again I can't say who took what from who, though if the
second installment of the Ohio Turnpike would of gone through, its
allignment would of been closer to US 42 than of I-71.
So there you have it. Where there is smoke, there is fire.
My apologies to you Stephane for disregarding your comments without
researching them first.

> pauline groleau dumas <steph...@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I checked Mike Natale's toll road page and OH Tpk section and checked
the
> > proposed and cancelled extension of the Tpk by an other toll road from
PA
> > border thru Cleveland,Columbus and Cincinnatti, the proposed corridor
look
> > like the actual l-71 corridor.
> >
> > I wonder if OH Tpk did the same thing as PA Tpk, lets the plans to OH
Dot
> > build the proposed toll road as actual l-71 when the Interstate Bill
> passed
> > in 1956?
> >
> > thanks for reading
> >
> > Stéphane Dumas steph...@videotron.ca

pauline groleau dumas

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99

>second installment of the Ohio Turnpike would of gone through, its
>allignment would of been closer to US 42 than of I-71.
>So there you have it. Where there is smoke, there is fire.
>My apologies to you Stephane for disregarding your comments without
>researching them first.

it's ok, Dennis I accepts your apologies

Stéphane Dumas steph...@videotron.ca