I-45 Extension North from Dallas

Brandi Harvey

Aug 16, 2001, 10:40:36 AM8/16/01
Anyone know of any plans to extend I-45 North from Dallas to Oklahoma or
further? They need to. US 75 is already interstate quality.

Patrick L. Humphrey

Aug 16, 2001, 9:10:53 PM8/16/01
"Brandi Harvey" <brandi...@home.com> writes:

>Anyone know of any plans to extend I-45 North from Dallas to Oklahoma or
>further? They need to. US 75 is already interstate quality.

Not quite -- parts of it are between LBJ and the Red River, but between
about Allen and Sherman it needs some fixing to qualify for Interstate
funding (like wider shoulders and medians), and it needs an expansion
through Sherman to the most recently-opened section around Denison. North
of that, you've got almost a hundred miles of new construction that'll need
to be done, all the way up to the Indian Nation Turnpike just southwest of
McAlester. There's sufficient space to do that along the existing roadway,
for the most part, but a new bypass will be needed for Atoka, and the
Turnpike connection will have to be redesigned.

(It may happen, and I'd like to see it done, but I wouldn't expect it to
happen for at least another decade or so, at the soonest.)

--PLH, who used to live in Tulsa, and has long wished for a better way
between Tulsa and Houston

US71

Aug 17, 2001, 12:44:51 AM8/17/01
"Brandi Harvey" <brandi...@home.com> wrote in message news:<EXQe7.94924$oh1.35...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>...

> Anyone know of any plans to extend I-45 North from Dallas to Oklahoma or
> further? They need to. US 75 is already interstate quality.

To the State Line, yes... even to near Durant it IS Interstate
quality. But Bus 69 to Durant is an at grade intersection.

AFAIK, there are NO plans to extend I-45 though.

Bobby Henderson

Aug 20, 2001, 11:14:56 AM8/20/01
Brandi Harvey <brandi...@home.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of any plans to extend I-45 North from Dallas to Oklahoma or
> further? They need to. US 75 is already interstate quality.

As far as road numbering goes, there are no plans. But the stretch between
Tulsa and Dallas will eventually be 100% limited access highway within the
next few years.

US-75 from downtown Dallas up to Sherman is an Interstate quality facility
and even featured a faster speed limit for years. Before the massive speed
limit change in 1995 for roads across the country, US-75 north of Dallas was
the only non-Interstate designated road I had encountered with a 65mph
"rural Interstate" speed limit.

The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority will build one turnpike from the south end
of Tulsa along US-75 to meet I-40 and the Indian Nation Turnpike in
Henrietta. From McAlester (where US-69/US-75 spur off toward Dallas) there
is a new turnpike being proposed to run from there down to Durant. There is
a small amount of opposition to this road being built on the part of some
business people in one small town along the existing four lane that would be
bypassed by the new turnpike.

I would suspect the last leg to get upgraded to Interstate quality would be
the four lane sections south of Durant with at-grade intersections. That's
because that section would likely not be able to be upgraded with toll
access and instead be a "free" section of roadway.

Overall, I do think I-45 should be extended northward to Tulsa and farther
up into Kansas to the Kansas City metro area. I-35 will have so much NAFTA
traffic on its own without having so much traffic from southeast Texas areas
like Houston using the road to get to Kansas City and points farther north.
US-281 to the west of I-35 from San Antonio to Wichita Falls will have to be
at least upgraded to a four lane road with at-grade intersections if not as
a new Interstate highway altogether. It can function as a west relief route
for I-35 and I-45 can work off to the east. The proposed I-69 and I-49
routes will also help make the system overall work better.

Bobby Henderson

dala...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2018, 12:11:32 AM4/1/18
On Thursday, August 16, 2001 at 7:40:36 AM UTC-7, Brandi Harvey wrote:
> Anyone know of any plans to extend I-45 North from Dallas to Oklahoma or
> further? They need to. US 75 is already interstate quality.

Anyone know of any plans to extend I-17 North from Flagstaff, Arizona to Southwest Utah? They need to. US 89 is already interstate quality.

Jan Thomas

Aug 3, 2020, 7:45:39 AM8/3/20
I just saw my first virtual sign for I345 so I am looking into this. Found this posting from 2001. He says it will be a decade before it is done, but it has been two decades and the name of the road still has not been changed. I know a lot of construction has been done going up that way. I've driven from Dallas to Joplin MO and past that many times over the past 50 years, the last being two years ago and I was amazed at what they have done. How about an official reply to my questions? Of course I have no idea who sponsors this web site and don't know if any officials monitor it. Anyone know anything?