Pickups on NY Parkways

Stephen Dailey

May 21, 2011, 4:26:52 PM5/21/11
I've been looking over the NYSDOT web site regarding truck restrictions on
parkways. My pickup meets two of the criteria for being allowed to use
parkways, namely non-commercial use and empty weight less than 5,500 lbs. I'm
unsure about the third criterion though, which is the requirement for
passenger-car plates. There's a note that vehicles with "combination" plates
from other states are not allowed on parkways.

Washington issues truck plates for pickups. These are not combination plates,
which have the word "Combination." Bottom line is, my truck does not have car
plates, but nor does it have combination plates. Does anyone with experience
operating an out-of-state pickup on parkways in NYS have any insight?

Glenn K

May 21, 2011, 6:28:51 PM5/21/11
Send off an E-Mail to Westchester county police they patrol the parkways
in Westchester county in NY they will be able to answer your question
correctly

*Westchester County Police Headquarters
*1 Saw Mill River Parkway
Hawthorne, New York 10532
(914) 864-7700

Sancho Panza

May 21, 2011, 9:13:11 PM5/21/11

Or you can check these sites:

"What are the rules regarding using pickup trucks on the Parkways?

Under the direction of Governor George E. Pataki, the New York State
Department of Motor Vehicles changed its regulations in the year 2000
regarding the procedure for registering light-duty pickup trucks. You
can now get passenger class plates for a light-duty pickup truck. Prior
to that change, a pickup truck received commercial plates unless you
made significant changes to the vehicle. Once registered as a passenger
vehicle, these light-duty pickup trucks qualify for using New York State
Parkways.
Where may I get more information on the decision to allow pickup trucks
on the Parkways?

You may visit the following websites for more information;
http://www.gorr.state.ny.us/gorr/july21_2_99govpickups.htm
http://www.gorr.state.ny.us/gorr/1_06_00gov_pickups.html

Where may I get specific information on the rules for registering
light-duty pickup trucks as passenger vehicles?

This information may be found on the New York State Department of Motor
Vehicles website; http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#pick-up.
Form MV-114 (Information For Pick-Up Truck Owners) gives more
information (available from the Department of Motor
Vehicles)."--http://www.hudsonvalleytraveler.com/perl/ParkwaysFAQ.pl

Steve Riner

May 21, 2011, 10:17:33 PM5/21/11

And how do they deal with out-of-state registered vehicles? Each state
has its own rules about how it licenses light trucks. California has a
distinctive truck plate (1A23456) used on all classes of truck. On the
other hand, neither Colorado nor Minnesota registers a light truck
with a license different from what a passenger car would receive. Most
states, that I've seen, tend to use the same class of plate as a
passenger vehicle for light trucks. I have a pickup registered in
Colorado - its license is no different from any other passenger
vehicle plate, but my registration does read "LTTRK" for vehicle
class. And, just to muddy the waters more, the registration does not
provide the empty weight. From visiting the scrap yard, I know that
it's right at 5500 pounds (with me in it).

Not that I plan to drive on a parkway in New York with it any time
soon, but shouldn't their criteria be a little more clear? I realize
the penetration of pickups into the vehicle market in the east isn't
as high as it is here, but it should be fairly clear to resident and
visitor alike whether or not a vehicle is legal on a given road. Since
I blow by all "truck weigh stations", I would tend to ignore any truck
prohibitions on a road.

Steve Riner
Pueblo West CO

Explore New Mexico and Minnesota highways: http://www.steve-riner.com

Steve Sobol

May 21, 2011, 10:49:44 PM5/21/11
In article <7b9362af-8dec-47fa-b3b3-f0b0d826fca5
@x1g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, Steve Riner says...

> And how do they deal with out-of-state registered vehicles? Each state
> has its own rules about how it licenses light trucks. California has a
> distinctive truck plate (1A23456) used on all classes of truck.

And further to your point, they ran out of plates in that series and the
new plates have this format: 12345A6. :)

--
Steve Sobol - Programming/WebDev/IT Support
sjs...@JustThe.net

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

May 22, 2011, 12:36:44 AM5/22/11
On May 21, 10:17 pm, Steve Riner <highplainstrave...@msn.com> wrote:

> Not that I plan to drive on a parkway in New York with it any time
> soon, but shouldn't their criteria be a little more clear? I realize
> the penetration of pickups into the vehicle market in the east isn't
> as high as it is here, but it should be fairly clear to resident and
> visitor alike whether or not a vehicle is legal on a given road. Since
> I blow by all "truck weigh stations", I would tend to ignore any truck
> prohibitions on a road.

Yes, the critiera should be more clear. We have a series of old
bridges around here and they're restricted to "CARS ONLY". However,
pickup trucks and SUVs use the bridges.

I wonder if NYS rules varies by size of the pickup. A 'compact'
pickup truck may be treated differently than a Ford F-350. (Some of
the above bridges discourage the really big SUVs and pickups.)

Anyway, I agree with the early poster who suggested contacting the
Westchester county police unit directly.

Your vehicle probably isn't too high, but note that the parkways do
have low bridges.

Steve Riner

May 22, 2011, 12:50:31 AM5/22/11
> sjso...@JustThe.net

This whole concept of pickups having different license plates and
being subjected to different traffic controls than passenger vehicles,
I think, dates back to the paleolithic concept of pickups as
"commercial vehicles." I know in California when I lived there (up
until early 1970s) you could license your pickup as a recreational
vehicle with passenger car plates if you never put anything other than
an icebox in the back. A few states apparently haven't caught up to
the concept that these are now commuting and pleasure vehicles, not
necessarily limited to painters and dry wall contractors. I have a
pickup because I need the horsepower to pull a travel trailer - but I
commute in it, and also it has 4WD capacity that takes me on back
roads in the mountains. Pleasure vehicle, right? But wait - I also own
a rental property and occasionally carry building materials for that
in it. So, is it a commercial vehicle? Thankfully I don't have to
split hairs (not that I have many left) when I register it, nor does
the state care what use I put it to. So, why does New York get the
vapors over larger pickups using the parkway system? And, why do they
assume that other states have a licensing system like their own (what
the hell is a "combination" license?).

John Levine

May 22, 2011, 1:50:30 AM5/22/11
>So, why does New York get the vapors over larger pickups using the
parkway system?

I see you've never been to New York. Some of the parkways were built
in the 1920s and 1930s. The lanes are narrow, and the bridges are
low. Other parkways are more recent, with wider lanes and higher
bridges. It's entirely reasonable to have one set of rules for the
Bronx River Parkway, which is old and narrow, and another for the
Taconic Parkway, which is newer and wider.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#pickup

R's,
John

rsh...@gmail.com

May 22, 2011, 11:59:53 AM5/22/11
On May 21, 11:36 pm, hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
> On May 21, 10:17 pm, Steve Riner <highplainstrave...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Not that I plan to drive on a parkway in New York with it any time
> > soon, but shouldn't their criteria be a little more clear? I realize
> > the penetration of pickups into the vehicle market in the east isn't
> > as high as it is here, but it should be fairly clear to resident and
> > visitor alike whether or not a vehicle is legal on a given road. Since
> > I blow by all "truck weigh stations", I would tend to ignore any truck
> > prohibitions on a road.
>
> Yes, the critiera should be more clear.  We have a series of old
> bridges around here and they're restricted to "CARS ONLY".  However,
> pickup trucks and SUVs use the bridges.

NYC which has its own Vehicle and Traffic Law

as well laws on use of Parkways in NYC

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/trucks.shtml

as well certain streets like 5th Ave

and the Hwys Enforcement Offices of NYPD WILL strictly enforce

The signage you refer to "Passenger Cars Only" is only in NYC

"No Commercial Traffic" signage is only outside NYC

deanej

May 22, 2011, 12:11:08 PM5/22/11

Never mind that the parkways are typically constructed as an inch of
asphalt sitting on dirt (at least, most of the Lake Ontario State
Parkway is constructed like this).

Steve Riner

May 22, 2011, 12:15:48 PM5/22/11

I have been to New York and have driven on a few of the parkways. I've
also driven the Arroyo Seco Parkway in Los Angeles, which has similar
characteristics to what you describe. Your point about the lane width
(bridge height shouldn't be an issue unless there are overpasses with
6 feet of clearance) is a valid concern and a legitimate reason to
restrict certain vehicles. I can't imagine my Nissan Titan, which
probably weighs in right at the 5500 lb. limit, though I can't
document that from either my registration certificate or any decal on
the door, not being able to travel safely on about any road that will
legally accept a Ford Excursion. I guess if I ever go there with my
truck I could have an interesting conversation with the State Police.
My main point is that New York appears to be relying on its own
vehicle licensing criteria, which would not be applicable to any other
state's licenses, and would leave out-of-staters with insufficient
information to tell if they can legally travel on a road.

Tom Mogadore

May 22, 2011, 3:02:03 PM5/22/11
On Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:59:53 AM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:

> The signage you refer to "Passenger Cars Only" is only in NYC
>
> "No Commercial Traffic" signage is only outside NYC

Really? I was unaware that the entire mileage of the Taconic, Palisades, Saw Mill and Sprain Brook Parkways were within NYC limits. All the entrances to those parkways read PASSENGER CARS ONLY, RV's are also disallowed on the State Parkways, and the majority of those are not commercial vehicles in any wise.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

May 22, 2011, 3:34:57 PM5/22/11
On May 22, 12:50 am, Steve Riner <highplainstrave...@msn.com> wrote:
> So, why does New York get the
> vapors over larger pickups using the parkway system? And, why do they
> assume that other states have a licensing system like their own (what
> the hell is a "combination" license?).

As another posted noted, some of the parkways are old and narrow.

But also, the parkways were mostly built by Moses who envisioned them
to be linear parks someone would take a meandering pleasure drive
through. He purposely built the bridges low so trucks could never fit
under them (a problem today with errant trucks.) Moses fought very
hard to keep the speed limits of his parkways low, 35 mph, and then
after great pressure, 40 mph. (Not sure of speed limits today).

A visitor to NY tends to think of a parkway as an expressway and then
gets frustrated since they can not be driven that way--there are too
many curves, narrow ramps, even intersections. You do have to go slow
on them.

As to the licensing, a license plate is hard to read at a distance at
speed. I'm not sure how a cop could discern if a passing pickup truck
had the proper license plate or not. Anyway, that's why I think the
suggestion above to call the local cops is a good one.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

May 22, 2011, 3:37:13 PM5/22/11
On May 22, 12:11 pm, deanej <deane....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Never mind that the parkways are typically constructed as an inch of
> asphalt sitting on dirt (at least, most of the Lake Ontario State
> Parkway is constructed like this).

Judging by the historical photos of construction in the Moses book,
the parkways seem to be well constructed.

rsh...@gmail.com

May 22, 2011, 4:34:58 PM5/22/11

so happiness to you, you licensed asswipe, you

why are we even debating that any commercial traffic might be allowed

if you go by said signage a pick'em up is not a passenger car

H.B. Elkins

May 23, 2011, 12:13:10 AM5/23/11
In article
<ed89341e-fff8-4cfb...@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com>, Tom
Mogadore says...

>On Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:59:53 AM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>=20

>> The signage you refer to "Passenger Cars Only" is only in NYC
>>=20

>> "No Commercial Traffic" signage is only outside NYC
>
>Really? I was unaware that the entire mileage of the Taconic, Palisades, Sa=
>w Mill and Sprain Brook Parkways were within NYC limits. All the entrances =
>to those parkways read PASSENGER CARS ONLY, RV's are also disallowed on the=
> State Parkways, and the majority of those are not commercial vehicles in a=
>ny wise.

I would venture to guess that my Toyota Tacoma would qualify as a passenger
vehicle since it is registered with a passenger car tag from Kentucky.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictorplate"

Tom Mogadore

May 23, 2011, 1:17:20 AM5/23/11
You said:
'The signage you refer to "Passenger Cars Only" is only in NYC

"No Commercial Traffic" signage is only outside NYC'.

I said that was incorrect, because both the Taconic and the Palisades have 'PASSENGER CARS ONLY'; and that RV's, which are, in the main, noncommercial vehicles, are also disallowed from the parkways. So where's the debate in that?

Dementia and delusions are a bitch, eh what? Oh, and BTW, I have yet to 'wipe an ass'. Not my fault you're a filthy jitney driver that has nothing to show for his life. Too bad that TAX FREE MONEY can't buy you any pride in yourself, or soap and water and a razor(apparently) or a leg.

deanej

May 23, 2011, 7:37:20 AM5/23/11

Maybe it's just the Lake Ontario State Parkway then; the LOSP is in
the Rochester area and has no affiliation with Robert Moses
(ironically, neither does the Robert Moses State Parkway in Buffalo).
The LOSP also allows commercial vehicles on the newer portion in
Orleans county.

Sancho Panza

May 23, 2011, 8:35:06 AM5/23/11

"No affiliation"??? It was his creation:

"Plans were made as early as 1941 to construct the Lake Ontario State
Parkway. On January 13, 1941, New York State Council of Parks chairman
Robert Moses indirectly sponsored a bill in the New York State
Legislature that would set aside $30 million[9] (equivalent to $447
million in 2011)[10] for the construction of several parkways across New
York. One of the parkways that would receive funding from the measure
was the proposed Lake Ontario State Parkway, which would receive $4.6
million[9] (equivalent to $68.6 million in 2011)[10] toward its
construction.[9] The bill was approved by both houses of the legislature
and given to Governor Herbert H. Lehman, who signed it on March 28,
1941. However, its ultimate approval was dependent on the passage of a
constitutional amendment that would allow the legislature to use $60
million[11] (equivalent to $895 million in 2011)[10] intended for
eliminating grade crossings for the construction of highways instead.
The $30 million earmarked for parkway construction was part of the $60
million in question.[11] On November 4, 1941, the amendment was approved
in a statewide referendum on the issue, allowing for the money to be
transferred.[12]
[edit] Construction and extensions

On August 17, 1944, Moses announced a 145-mile (233 km) expansion of the
existing system of parkways in New York that was intended to accommodate
an increase in vehicular traffic that came about following World War II.
One of the highways to be built as part of the expansion was the Lake
Ontario State Parkway.[13] The first section of the parkway to be built
was the piece from Hamlin Beach State Park to NY 261 at Manitou Beach.
Construction on the segment began in the late 1940s and was completed in
the early 1950s.[1][2][14] At some point between 1952 and 1954, work
began on an extension eastward to Dewey Avenue in Greece.[15] By 1956,
the parkway was open to East Manitou Road and under construction to Lake
Avenue in Charlotte.[16] The portion of the highway from East Manitou
Road to Long Pond Road was opened by 1958[17] while the section from
Long Pond Road to Dewey Avenue was completed by 1960.[18] The segment
between Dewey and Lake Avenues opened to traffic ca. 1962.[19][20]
A stub at the parkway's west end, a remnant of the original plans to
extend the highway farther west

Long-term plans for the parkway called for it to extend westward along
the entirety of the Lake Ontario shoreline to Niagara Falls, and from
there as far southward as Buffalo.[21] By 1960, the proposed routing was
adjusted to meet the northern end of the Robert Moses State Parkway in
Porter, near Fort Niagara.[22] When the city of Niagara Falls released
its Regional Highway Plan for the Buffalo – Niagara Falls area in 1971,
the proposed routing of the Lake Ontario State Parkway was
unchanged.[23] Despite the widespread intentions of extending the
parkway westward to Niagara County, the highway never extended any
farther westward than Lakeside Beach State Park. The lone portion of the
extension that was built—between Hamlin Beach and Lakeside Beach State
Parks—was constructed in the early 1970s and completed by
1973.[24][25]"--en.wikipedia.org

rsh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2011, 9:02:02 AM5/23/11

right little tommie, and your use of a phony name?

as well your bragging about receiving tons of free marijuana

probably smoking up in the laundry rooms of the facility you collect a
check from

as well cannot stand that I make more then you do, haw haw haw

I keep working and I keep making plenty of TAX FREE MONEY and you
cannot stand it

so go to the back and smoke some of that free marijuana you get plenty
of

and then when they fire you for being stoned, you can whine to us

BTW, we are continually busy

what ever happened to the ads from the NYS Nurses Assoc
http://www.nysna.org/ worried about layoffs

I have never been laid off nor do I ever expect to be

and my money keeps going and going and going up up up

while yours goes up in marijuana smoke, there little tommie

rsh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2011, 9:05:00 AM5/23/11
> its Regional Highway Plan for the Buffalo � Niagara Falls area in 1971,

> the proposed routing of the Lake Ontario State Parkway was
> unchanged.[23] Despite the widespread intentions of extending the
> parkway westward to Niagara County, the highway never extended any
> farther westward than Lakeside Beach State Park. The lone portion of the
> extension that was built�between Hamlin Beach and Lakeside Beach State
> Parks�was constructed in the early 1970s and completed by
> 1973.[24][25]"--en.wikipedia.org

jeeeezus fucking christ deanej made a mistake

heaven help us all

must be creeping insanity and creeping lunacy

rsh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2011, 9:52:34 AM5/23/11

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110523/greenwich-village-soho/riot-greenwich-village-dunkin-donuts-caught-on-video#ixzz1NB1dnIBz

does Little Tommie have ANY friends who are NOT criminals or major
drug suppliers???

jeeeezusfuckingchrist Little Tommie, you know you have to be careful
who you associate with

Tom Mogadore

May 23, 2011, 10:55:50 AM5/23/11
On Monday, May 23, 2011 9:02:02 AM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:

> On May 23, 12:17 am, Tom Mogadore <ttm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You said:
> > 'The signage you refer to "Passenger Cars Only" is only in NYC
> >
> >  "No Commercial Traffic" signage is only outside NYC'.
> >
> > I said that was incorrect, because both the Taconic and the Palisades have 'PASSENGER CARS ONLY'; and that RV's, which are, in the main, noncommercial vehicles, are also disallowed from the parkways. So where's the debate in that?
> >
> > Dementia and delusions are a bitch, eh what? Oh, and BTW, I have yet to 'wipe an ass'. Not my fault you're a filthy jitney driver that has nothing to show for his life. Too bad that TAX FREE MONEY can't buy you any pride in yourself, or soap and water and a razor(apparently) or a leg.
>
> right little tommie, and your use of a phony name?

From the man who changes names downthread.

> as well your bragging about receiving tons of free marijuana

It's 'tonnes' now, is it? How, pray tell, do I transport 'tonnes' of anything via subway and train? You *do* realise that MTA does random bag checks.

> probably smoking up in the laundry rooms of the facility you collect a
> check from

That does random drug checks.

> as well cannot stand that I make more then you do, haw haw haw
>
> I keep working and I keep making plenty of TAX FREE MONEY and you
> cannot stand it

You're still a ratbag morbidly obese one-legged jitney driver in serious need of a wash up. All yr TAX FREE MONEY doesn't seem to address that, nao, does it.

> so go to the back and smoke some of that free marijuana you get plenty
> of
>
> and then when they fire you for being stoned, you can whine to us
>
> BTW, we are continually busy
>
> what ever happened to the ads from the NYS Nurses Assoc
> http://www.nysna.org/ worried about layoffs

I don't know. The place I work at just hired 5 new nurses. I work per diem, but I've managed full time hours just the same. They keep offering full-time, but I want to keep my options open.

> I have never been laid off nor do I ever expect to be
>
> and my money keeps going and going and going up up up
>
> while yours goes up in marijuana smoke, there little tommie

Actually, no. That's the dementia talking. Probably coronary artery disease. The blood supply to yr feeble little brain must be nearly stopped off.

Tom Mogadore

May 23, 2011, 11:19:36 AM5/23/11
On Monday, May 23, 2011 9:52:34 AM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://www.dnainfo.com/20110523/greenwich-village-soho/riot-greenwich-village-dunkin-donuts-caught-on-video#ixzz1NB1dnIBz
>
> does Little Tommie have ANY friends who are NOT criminals or major
> drug suppliers???

Delusion Time again. You seem to find things from all the places in NYC that I *don't* go.

> jeeeezusfuckingchrist Little Tommie, you know you have to be careful
> who you associate with

Most of my friends under 30 are either in school(and working), or already have advanced degrees, two of them have PhD's. The ones over 30 are largely working professionals in fields like social work, software engineering, filmmaking and chartered accountancy, to name a few.

You, on the other hand, are projecting. You brag about paying no income tax. Last I checked, that's a criminal act; and you've bragged about other criminal acts on this forum. Your boss doesn't file tax forms-also a criminal act. Now go on and dribble about your delusion about my marijuana use and trafficking, like you 'have something' on me. Let's see if you manage to convince the rest of MTR, as you've been so stunningly successful so far.

You're a ratbag jitney driver. You were too goddam lazy to do anything else in yr life. You yip and pip about your highway plan muddling, but you don't make a living at it, do you? And you never will. Just a meaningless exercise on your part.

Y'know, you aren't immune to the economy. Your shit could collapse tomorrow. And what job would you be suited for? Shit you couldn't even get work at a Mc Donald's. You can whistle in the dark as long as you like, but everything ends sooner or later. What would you do if you had no work? The only skill you possess would be being a burden on the State.

rsh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2011, 11:20:52 AM5/23/11

funny how you are the one that initiated it by bragging about getting
free marijuana as payment in kind for publicity for the punk, gangsta,
hipster music groups that played in the drug clubs

just like you brag about hanging out with the ex cons from Oxblood

http://www.angelfire.com/band/oxblood/

these are all the wonderful things YOU brought into the disc

YOU, little Tommie who lies about his identity, which leads one to
wonder what else you mght lie about

funny how I am capable of remembering this

puts the lie to "dementia" doesn't it????

out of curiousity, there little Tommie, are you an employeeor a
contractor????

if you are a contractor, be sure you save money for your taxes because
your 1099 will be coming

Tom Mogadore

May 23, 2011, 11:45:57 AM5/23/11
On Monday, May 23, 2011 11:20:52 AM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Actually, no. That's the dementia talking. Probably coronary artery disease. The blood supply to yr feeble little brain must be nearly stopped off.
>
> funny how you are the one that initiated it by bragging about getting
> free marijuana as payment in kind for publicity for the punk, gangsta,
> hipster music groups that played in the drug clubs

What drug clubs? You haven't named one yet.

> just like you brag about hanging out with the ex cons from Oxblood
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/band/oxblood/

2002 site. None of that lineup have been active for years. Angelfire is a web 1.0 leftover that ceased being relevant in 2004 or so.

> these are all the wonderful things YOU brought into the disc
>
> YOU, little Tommie who lies about his identity, which leads one to
> wonder what else you mght lie about

Nobody here knows who I am. Sure.

> funny how I am capable of remembering this

'A delusion is a belief that is either mistaken or not substantiated that is held with vehemence. In psychiatry, it is defined to be a belief that is pathological (the result of an illness or illness process) and is held despite evidence to the contrary.[1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, dogma, stupidity, poor memory, illusion, or other effects of perception.

'Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or mental illness, although they are not tied to any particular disease and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental). However, they are of particular diagnostic importance in psychotic disorders including schizophrenia, paraphrenia, manic episodes of bipolar disorder, and psychotic depression.'

> puts the lie to "dementia" doesn't it????

Nope. Patients with mild to moderate dementia often have intact long-term memories.

> out of curiousity, there little Tommie, are you an employeeor a
> contractor????
>
> if you are a contractor, be sure you save money for your taxes because
> your 1099 will be coming

The Great One shows his knowledge once again. There is no such thing as a 'tax free' nursing job. It doesn't matter who you contract through, whether it's a facility or an agency. You still do the required tax paperwork as a matter of course. The contractee provides the paperwork. You can't elect to decline witholding.

Nathan Perry

May 23, 2011, 11:47:32 AM5/23/11
In article
<71ed4e1c-b59e-49f4...@dn9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> As another posted noted, some of the parkways are old and narrow.
>
> But also, the parkways were mostly built by Moses who envisioned them
> to be linear parks someone would take a meandering pleasure drive
> through. He purposely built the bridges low so trucks could never fit
> under them (a problem today with errant trucks.) Moses fought very
> hard to keep the speed limits of his parkways low, 35 mph, and then
> after great pressure, 40 mph. (Not sure of speed limits today).

That's an important point: bridge clearances notwithstanding, the
criterion isn't what you can fit on the parkway, but *why* you're on it.
If you're on your way to paint a house or pull weeds for money, that's
wrong. If you're on it to tool around aimlessly and enjoy the pretty
Bronx River scenery that was almost polluted out of existence
generations ago, that's correct.

So that's the reason that a truck, or even a Cooper Mini or Smart Car,
with a commercial plate is forbidden.

> A visitor to NY tends to think of a parkway as an expressway and then
> gets frustrated since they can not be driven that way--there are too
> many curves, narrow ramps, even intersections. You do have to go slow
> on them.
>
> As to the licensing, a license plate is hard to read at a distance at
> speed. I'm not sure how a cop could discern if a passing pickup truck
> had the proper license plate or not. Anyway, that's why I think the
> suggestion above to call the local cops is a good one.

A NY commercial plate has a different format than a passenger one (the
latter has a space in the middle); that's how you might spot one from a
distance.

School buses are frequently seen on parkways, by the way. I don't know
if they're expressly permitted, or just forgot to be banned, or are just
given preferential non-treatment.

Most other commercial vehicles you'll see are honest mistakes, like the
painter's or landscapers truck I mentioned. But there are the occasional
flagrant violators. The other day on the Bronx River Parkway there was a
Hummer, biggest model they make (wider than the lanes in some spots, and
surely heavier than 5500 pounds), and though it was clearly a personal
vehicle with no lettering or signs of wear, it had a commercial plate
that was tacked on impermanently to the spare tire, as if to say "I know
I'm too big to be here, but I'm here anyway, and I'm going to further
flaunt my delinquency by posing as an additional category of prohibited
vehicle."

That was my reading, anyway. :-)

rsh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2011, 12:05:45 PM5/23/11
On May 23, 10:45 am, Tom Mogadore <ttmm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, May 23, 2011 11:20:52 AM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Actually, no. That's the dementia talking. Probably coronary artery disease. The blood supply to yr feeble little brain must be nearly stopped off.
>
> > funny how you are the one that initiated it by bragging about getting
> > free marijuana as payment in kind for publicity for the punk, gangsta,
> > hipster music groups that played in the drug clubs
>
> What drug clubs? You haven't named one yet.

you cannot deny being paid in free marijuana, now can you???

> > just like you brag about hanging out with the ex cons from Oxblood
>
> >http://www.angelfire.com/band/oxblood/
>
> 2002 site. None of that lineup have been active for years. Angelfire is a web 1.0 leftover that ceased being relevant in 2004 or so.
>
> > these are all the wonderful things YOU brought into the disc

why are you unable to deny posting this?????

these are your friends, you should be so very proud

just waiting for the prison bus

> > YOU, little Tommie who lies about his identity, which leads one to
> > wonder what else you mght lie about
>
> Nobody here knows who I am. Sure.

just another lie, just another lie

you are so filled with them

> > funny how I am capable of remembering this
>
> 'A delusion is a belief that is either mistaken or not substantiated that is held with vehemence. In psychiatry, it is defined to be a belief that is pathological (the result of an illness or illness process) and is held despite evidence to the contrary.[1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, dogma, stupidity, poor memory, illusion, or other effects of perception.
>
> 'Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or mental illness, although they are not tied to any particular disease and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental). However, they are of particular diagnostic importance in psychotic disorders including schizophrenia, paraphrenia, manic episodes of bipolar disorder, and psychotic depression.'
>
> > puts the lie to "dementia" doesn't it????
>
> Nope. Patients with mild to moderate dementia often have intact long-term memories.
>
> > out of curiousity, there little Tommie, are you an employeeor a
> > contractor????
>
> > if you are a contractor, be sure you save money for your taxes because
> > your 1099 will be coming
>
> The Great One shows his knowledge once again. There is no such thing as a 'tax free' nursing job. It doesn't matter who you contract through, whether it's a facility or an agency. You still do the required tax paperwork as a matter of course. The contractee provides the paperwork. You can't elect to decline witholding.

again with the lies

where did I say anything about "tax free" show me where

I said "save your money for your 1099"

N. W. Perry

May 23, 2011, 12:11:12 PM5/23/11

In article
<9f98e94e-d221-470c...@j23g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
deanej <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Robert Moses Parkway in Niagara Falls is indeed ironic I think,
not because it's unrelated to Moses himself, but for what reason. It
passes the Robert Moses power station and thus reflects his efforts in
expanding that field, rather than roads or parks.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

May 23, 2011, 12:59:41 PM5/23/11
On May 23, 12:11 pm, "N. W. Perry" <nateperr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Robert Moses Parkway in Niagara Falls is indeed ironic I think,
> not because it's unrelated to Moses himself, but for what reason. It
> passes the Robert Moses power station and thus reflects his efforts in
> expanding that field, rather than roads or parks.

The second major Moses book 'a city transformed' covers in more detail
many of his other projects than Caro's book. He was involved in an
incredible number of things, some of which never made to the books.
In his day his name was in the NYT almost every day (they let you
search their archives for free). In the Rockaways, he developed the
beach front parks in coordination with his two bridges, and also
elevated the LIRR tracks as a prelude to their conversion to a
subway*. After the LIRR went bankrupt he helped save the commuter
service--the study group's report clearly bears his brusque style of
writing.

It is said Caro's book could've had another 500 pages of history but
he had to edit it down. I would hope that Caro's research notes are
preserved and available for scholars since they must contain
considerable otherwise unknown research. Of course there's also a ton
of stuff in the various agencies he ran. I got a very brief look at
the NYC Parks Dept archives and reading his stuff was fascinating.

Moses wrote numerous articles for the NYT Magazine, which are
available in their online archives and of course on microfilm. Some
libraries offer free public access to the archives "ProQuest", and you
can do an author search on Moses.

*In NYC, all rapid transit lines are referred to as "subway" even if
they are above ground or elevated.

Tom Mogadore

May 23, 2011, 1:21:44 PM5/23/11
On Monday, May 23, 2011 11:47:32 AM UTC-4, Nathan Perry wrote:

> A NY commercial plate has a different format than a passenger one (the
> latter has a space in the middle); that's how you might spot one from a
> distance.

Commercial plates are 5 numbers and two letters NNNNN-XX
Standard plates are 3 letters and 4 numbers XXX-NNNN

> School buses are frequently seen on parkways, by the way. I don't know
> if they're expressly permitted, or just forgot to be banned, or are just
> given preferential non-treatment.

I don't know. As far as the Thruway is concerned, they are a commercial vehicle, and subject to the same toll. For awhile at the Spring Valley plaza, after the ORT gantry was finished, there was a VMS advising school busses had to pull up and pay tolls.

> Most other commercial vehicles you'll see are honest mistakes, like the
> painter's or landscapers truck I mentioned. But there are the occasional
> flagrant violators. The other day on the Bronx River Parkway there was a
> Hummer, biggest model they make (wider than the lanes in some spots, and
> surely heavier than 5500 pounds), and though it was clearly a personal
> vehicle with no lettering or signs of wear, it had a commercial plate
> that was tacked on impermanently to the spare tire, as if to say "I know
> I'm too big to be here, but I'm here anyway, and I'm going to further
> flaunt my delinquency by posing as an additional category of prohibited
> vehicle."
>
> That was my reading, anyway. :-)

Occasionally it's a mistake, occasionally it's deliberate. A guy I worked with lived in Columbia County just off the Jackson Corners Road junction of the Taconic, and he'd sneak on with his work van(we were allowed to take vans home at the end of the day) now and again. It was a Sprinter(8000 lbs GVW) and clearly marked as a company vehicle, but he managed not to get caught.

Tom Mogadore

May 23, 2011, 1:52:05 PM5/23/11
On Monday, May 23, 2011 12:05:45 PM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:

> > What drug clubs? You haven't named one yet.
>
> you cannot deny being paid in free marijuana, now can you???

Actually, yes I can. Read this very carefully. I am subject to random drugs testing, and have been for years. I don't know when or if I will be tested at any given time. If I refuse a drugs test, most employers consider that as a positive test. If I got a positive test, I would be sacked. THC shows up in the urine 7 days after use. It's not worth it to me in any wise.

> > > just like you brag about hanging out with the ex cons from Oxblood
> >
> > >http://www.angelfire.com/band/oxblood/
> >
> > 2002 site. None of that lineup have been active for years. Angelfire is a web 1.0 leftover that ceased being relevant in 2004 or so.
> >
> > > these are all the wonderful things YOU brought into the disc
> >

> why are you unable to deny posting this?????

Why are you unable to comprehend that you are talking about something that has been defunct for nearly ten years? You are not talking about the last lineup of Oxblood, you are talking about a band with the same name that hasn't existed since 2003 or so. For that matter, the last incarnation of Oxblood has been inactive for two years. So for all intents and purposes, I'm hanging out with nothing.

> these are your friends, you should be so very proud
>
> just waiting for the prison bus

Delusion and dementia and filth. Morbid obesity. No skills. No accomplishments of any sort in life. A minor criminal. You must be SO proud of what you are.

> > The Great One shows his knowledge once again. There is no such thing as a 'tax free' nursing job. It doesn't matter who you contract through, whether it's a facility or an agency. You still do the required tax paperwork as a matter of course. The contractee provides the paperwork. You can't elect to decline witholding.
>
> again with the lies
>
> where did I say anything about "tax free" show me where
>
> I said "save your money for your 1099"

What part of 'You still do the required tax paperwork' don't you understand shitbird? When I contract through an agency or a facility, I have all taxes and deductions withheld from my pay, like a regular employee. I HAVE to do this, I do not have the option to decline.

Nursing isn't like driving a jitney. You can't run a criminal operation paying employees under the table. A nurse and anyone who employs them are subject to scrutiny from multiple agencies. Violation of the law results in heavy penalties.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

May 23, 2011, 2:34:34 PM5/23/11
On May 23, 1:52 pm, Tom Mogadore <ttmm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nursing isn't like driving a jitney. You can't run a criminal operation paying employees under the table. A nurse and anyone who employs them are subject to scrutiny from multiple agencies. Violation of the law results in heavy penalties.

In some states nurses must get ongoing background checks and
fingerprinting---at their own expense. Expensive (I have friends who
are nurses).

george conklin

May 23, 2011, 2:37:42 PM5/23/11

<hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote in message

===================

I searched "Moses" and all I got was something about bullrushes. -:)

rsh...@gmail.com

May 23, 2011, 2:58:34 PM5/23/11

yep you are so very over qualified, so why don't you go for RN???

go to school and take the exam

I am happy doing what I do, sorry you don't approve but apparently
since I make more then you, my job and experience is worth more then
your ass wiping ability

so you see, I win, thanks so very much

Tom Mogadore

May 24, 2011, 1:19:16 AM5/24/11
On Monday, May 23, 2011 2:58:34 PM UTC-4, rsh...@gmail.com wrote:

> yep you are so very over qualified, so why don't you go for RN???
>
> go to school and take the exam

Starting in fall.

> I am happy doing what I do, sorry you don't approve but apparently
> since I make more then you, my job and experience is worth more then
> your ass wiping ability

Read very carefully, boy. 'Ass wiping' is not in my job description, nor is it expected of me. Ever. I don't have time for it during a shift anyway. Now your rotted brain obviously does not know there is a difference between an orderly and a nurse, and somehow you think you know my job, despite having absolutely no experience in the line.

> so you see, I win, thanks so very much

Oh, yes, you win. I can walk 3 miles easily. I move very quickly on my feet. All your alleged money will never buy you that ability. Your money is just paper. Tomorrow, it could become worthless, if your beloved government says so. Your job is worth what? Anyone can be a taxi driver. That's all you've managed to be. And what experience do you have? Driving around NJ? Sign drawings? Looking at highway plans? Stealing from people? I can go to school to improve myself. What can you do-or rather what *will* you do? The answer is nothing. You expect people to hand shit to you. You're too goddam lazy to even wash your filthy fat arse. Yeah, you win.

Tom Mogadore

May 24, 2011, 1:49:29 AM5/24/11
On Monday, May 23, 2011 2:34:34 PM UTC-4, hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

I'm not subject to that sort of scrutiny, thankfully. Just the same, I've done my share of background checks and pee tests over the years. At least they were company-financed.

There are other things to trip you up that roll up all the time: Just today, I'm clicking through Sigmacare- the electronic Medical Administration/Charting system we use. One of my patients on blood thinners was due for a test to check his coagulation. It wasn't done. Now, there was no specific order to hold his medication if the test wasn't done; but then how was I to know if he had too much blood thinner on board, and if giving him more would possibly endanger his health? I didn't, and I sure wasn't going to take a chance-so I called the RN, and we called the doctor, made sure that it was okay by him.

Now, technically speaking, I could have gone right ahead and given this guy his blood thinner, as there was no order to hold it, but the situation was too dodgy for my liking. That's pretty common, and you have to pay attention.

Another incident today. A patient is due for an antibiotic. It wasn't on my trolley. I called the RN, and it wasn't in our emergency drugs box, either. And it ended up that I didn't give it anyway, because the patient(who is combative and extremely confused) was asleep, anyway. Now I could have just charted it as a refusal, or the patient being asleep, but the time the antibiotic was due was an hour before the pharmacy run that brought it. That wouldn't've flown.

There are just a couple of examples of stuff that you have to contend with-you have to pay close attention to what you're doing-and what's going on with the patients.

Steve Sobol

May 24, 2011, 2:28:36 AM5/24/11
In article <cbe644f5-2e1d-4167-b690-c5d147ac8d62
@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com>, Tom Mogadore says...

> Read very carefully, boy. 'Ass wiping' is not in my job description,
nor is it expected of me. Ever. I don't have time for it during a shift
anyway.
>Now your rotted brain obviously does not know there is a difference
between an orderly and a nurse, and somehow you think you know my job,
despite having absolutely no experience in the line.

yes, but no matter the subject, Randy speaks like he knows what he's
talking about. In fact, he speaks like he knows the subject matter
better than anyone else.

--
Steve Sobol - Programming/WebDev/IT Support
sjs...@JustThe.net

Tom Mogadore

May 24, 2011, 2:52:57 AM5/24/11

Yeah, I know. I got as sister in law like that. She held like 1 factory job in her life, and she's an expert on everything. A rube from Palookaville PA with half a functioning brain cell and a 1500 horsepower mouth, and deaf as a post-figuratively.

Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.

May 24, 2011, 10:06:37 AM5/24/11
On 5/24/2011 1:28 AM, Steve Sobol wrote:

> yes, but no matter the subject, Randy speaks like he knows what he's
> talking about.

I had never noticed that. I'd say "I'll look closer next time" but I
never see any of his scat anymore except when somebody quotes him and
then I'm focused on deciding to filter off the quoter or not.

Clark F Morris

May 24, 2011, 4:17:10 PM5/24/11

Some of his postings on transportation make sense and have added to my
knowledge. Others on various issues lead me to wonder if he is two
different people. His bigotry and religious attitudes are in sharp
contrast to some of his other postings. It is a shame because he does
have a fair amount of transportation knowledge and insight.

Clark Morris

Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.

May 24, 2011, 4:39:07 PM5/24/11

When I am dealing with my own ignorance and am trying to learn from
somebody, else I make the assumption that if I am being lied-to about
something I know about, I'll assume that I am also being lied-to about
the things I don't know about.

deanej

May 24, 2011, 6:05:34 PM5/24/11

You learn something new every day. I didn't know Robert Moses was
involved in any road projects outside of the NYC area. Additionally,
neither the LOST or RMST use the parkway shield as is used downstate
and by the Taconic.

When Rochester built the fast ferry there were rumors that the section
from NY 390 to Lake Ave would be opened to commercial vehicles. The
response from the DOT when I asked was that the pavement was too thin
to support commercial vehicles. The section near Latta Rd appears as
if it had been upgraded though; the bridge was replaced and is high
enough, and the county did a total rebuild of the parkway in that
area. Perhaps there were conflicting agendas; today there is signage
directing commercial vehicles to exit at Latta Rd and at Lake Ave and
for a time there was also signage directing them to exit at Greenleaf
Rd.

Steve Sobol

May 24, 2011, 7:31:35 PM5/24/11
In article <ob4ot6httcpn1sha4...@4ax.com>, Clark F Morris
says...

> Some of his postings on transportation make sense and have added to my
> knowledge. Others on various issues lead me to wonder if he is two
> different people. His bigotry and religious attitudes are in sharp
> contrast to some of his other postings. It is a shame because he does
> have a fair amount of transportation knowledge and insight.

Yeah, but he takes it too far, like making pronouncements about the
drive to Vegas on I-15, and getting an attitude when I correct him. I
*live just off I-15.* *Halfway between Vegas and San Diego.* Now who do
you think will know more about traffic patterns right near my house?

Tom Mogadore

May 24, 2011, 8:09:02 PM5/24/11

Closer to home, he was ignorant of the fact that PASSENGER CARS ONLY is posted on NYS Parkways outside of NYC, Insisted that the NYC Expressways are not freeways, was pretty much unaware that the large Chasidic community in Williamsburg has been there for generations-predating the adjacent Dominican community, etc. Never mind his obsession with 'raves', and a long dead version of the band Oxblood :)

Nathan Perry

May 26, 2011, 3:00:09 PM5/26/11
In article
<e69fdcd3-4341-4ed3...@y12g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
deanej <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You learn something new every day. I didn't know Robert Moses was
> involved in any road projects outside of the NYC area. Additionally,
> neither the LOST or RMST use the parkway shield as is used downstate
> and by the Taconic.

Yup, Moses also consulted on the Penn-Lincoln Parkway project in
Pittsburgh, (or was it the Point Park project-alliterate much?) and
various other places around the country.

> When Rochester built the fast ferry there were rumors that the section
> from NY 390 to Lake Ave would be opened to commercial vehicles. The
> response from the DOT when I asked was that the pavement was too thin
> to support commercial vehicles. The section near Latta Rd appears as
> if it had been upgraded though; the bridge was replaced and is high
> enough, and the county did a total rebuild of the parkway in that
> area. Perhaps there were conflicting agendas; today there is signage
> directing commercial vehicles to exit at Latta Rd and at Lake Ave and
> for a time there was also signage directing them to exit at Greenleaf
> Rd.

Probably redundancy signage, in case a truck accidentally sneaks on
between the exits. They did add a westbound parkway exit at Latta Road
for trucks coming off the O'Rorke Bridge, which was also the reason for
the rebuilding (actually new building) by the county at Lake Ave.

(I think county maintenance ends at Lake; west of there it's state.)

deanej

May 27, 2011, 6:46:47 AM5/27/11
On May 26, 3:00 pm, Nathan Perry <npe...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> In article
> <e69fdcd3-4341-4ed3-aa14-c1923be89...@y12g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

If you go by the signage at Lake Ave, trucks aren't even allowed on
the portion between the bridge and Latta Rd.

http://goo.gl/maps/NStv

George Conklin

May 27, 2011, 8:25:13 AM5/27/11

"deanej" <dean...@gmail.com> wrote in message

http://goo.gl/maps/NStv

When station wagons first became popular, there was a question of whether
they should be allowed on NYC Parkways. I know personally of one man who
had a station wagon and got a ticket because he had a chair in the back of
the vehicle. The cop said that he was thus a commercial vehicle and the
parkways for for pleasure only. Hauling a chair violated the law IF it was
in a station wagon, but no a car? That is what the judge apparently said.
The man had to pay the ticket. This was not a newspaper story. It happened
to a professor at Brooklyn College and my father knew the man.

N. W. Perry

May 27, 2011, 5:51:56 PM5/27/11

I guess I should have said the new exit was for *traffic* coming off
the bridge, to continue west on Latta. It makes sense that trucks are
banned west of Lake Ave., as legislation would probably be needed to
allow them on any stretch of the parkway.

One small wrinkle is that the portion of the parkway within the city
was originally a different reference route than the rest of it. I
don't know if that means it was built separately, at a different time
or under different legislation, but there's something a little more to
the history, clearly.