Electric cars are SHIT

Voice of REASON

Mar 7, 2021, 10:02:09 PM3/7/21
Goodbye Personal Mobility
https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241716

> This is a fairly typical "car review" coming from an online rag that,
> no surprise, writes car reviews.
>
> Buried in all of the prose, as is always the case, is the slam: Personal
> mobility is ending in the United States. 100 years of the ability to go
> where you want, when you want, literally anywhere within the confines of
> Continental United States for any lawful purpose or no purpose at all is
> ending. It will become more and more difficult to maintain over the
> next 10 years and become effectively impossible within 20 to 30 years
> for people of ordinary means.
>
> This is literally the end of America going all the way back to the
> Founders.
>
> You see a horse needed something to eat and water to drink. An EV needs
> electricity; highly-refined energy at the highest commonly-used form,
> and it needs it in size. The networks necessary to deliver that can be
> gated off to you at any time by corporate or government interests, and
> if they are you're ****ed. If something goes wrong on your journey,
> delaying you and increasing that consumption -- you're ****ed.
>
> The guaranteed-return range of basically every EV, even the most-
> expensive and expansive, is about 100 miles. The non-return range can
> be around 300, but that doesn't matter when you get down to it because
> it presumes charging at a rational rate is available at the other end --
> or wherever you wind up. It sounds like 30 minutes of charging time for
> a "top off" isn't so bad and it isn't when there is one vehicle that
> wants to be charged in a given place. Now pull into a Pilot or Love's
> on any day, on any highway and count the number of cars that pull to the
> pump in a 30 minute period. Only one of those vehicles for each pump
> fills if its electric.
>
> The rest are stranded.

Rod Speed

Mar 7, 2021, 11:00:29 PM3/7/21
Voice of REASON <rea...@anon.net> wrote

Voice of mindless bullshit, actually.

> Goodbye Personal Mobility

More mindless bullshit.

> https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241716

>> This is a fairly typical "car review" coming from
>> an online rag that, no surprise, writes car reviews.

>> Buried in all of the prose, as is always the case, is the slam:
>> Personal mobility is ending in the United States.

Bullshit it is.

>> 100 years of the ability to go where you want, when you want,
>> literally anywhere within the confines of Continental United
>> States for any lawful purpose or no purpose at all is ending.

Bullshit it is. Its even easier than it has ever been and at most might
not be quite as convenient as it has become in recent times.

>> It will become more and more difficult
>> to maintain over the next 10 years

Bullshit. At most just a bit less convenient.

>> and become effectively impossible within
>> 20 to 30 years for people of ordinary means.

More mindless bullshit. At most you might have
to charge your EV more slowly and more often
than you would have to do with an ICE.

>> This is literally the end of America going
>> all the way back to the Founders.

Bullshit. They had to go to a hell of a lot more effort to get
anywhere in the USA than we do now, or will do in the future.

>> You see a horse needed something to eat and water to
>> drink. An EV needs electricity; highly-refined energy at
>> the highest commonly-used form, and it needs it in size.

But that energy is much easier to produce now with nukes
and we have the distribution system that allows it to be
moved to where it is needed much more easily than we have
ever had before and we can move much more comfortably
when just horses and grass was the energy source.

>> The networks necessary to deliver that can be gated
>> off to you at any time by corporate or government
>> interests, and if they are you're ****ed.

Nope, you can still generate your own if they do that.

>> If something goes wrong on your journey, delaying
>> you and increasing that consumption -- you're ****ed.

Just as true when the weather fucks what you want to do.

>> The guaranteed-return range of basically every EV, even
>> the most-expensive and expansive, is about 100 miles.
>> The non-return range can be around 300, but that doesn't
>> matter when you get down to it because it presumes
>> charging at a rational rate is available at the other end --
>> or wherever you wind up.

And it is with all but the most remote travel.

>> It sounds like 30 minutes of charging time for a "top off"
>> isn't so bad and it isn't when there is one vehicle that wants
>> to be charged in a given place. Now pull into a Pilot or Love's
>> on any day, on any highway and count the number of cars
>> that pull to the pump in a 30 minute period. Only one of
>> those vehicles for each pump fills if its electric.

>> The rest are stranded.

Not when there is a charger for everyone.

Rich Keebler

Mar 7, 2021, 11:37:21 PM3/7/21
Voice of REASON wrote
Shooting rightist Americunts is not shit, it's fun.

I bagged 6 of you this weekend!

Byker

Mar 8, 2021, 1:12:08 PM3/8/21
"Voice of REASON" wrote in message news:s2443f$2kgc$1...@neodome.net...

> The guaranteed-return range of basically every EV, even the most-
> expensive and expansive, is about 100 miles. The non-return range can
> be around 300, but that doesn't matter when you get down to it because
> it presumes charging at a rational rate is available at the other end --
> or wherever you wind up. It sounds like 30 minutes of charging time for
> a "top off" isn't so bad and it isn't when there is one vehicle that
> wants to be charged in a given place. Now pull into a Pilot or Love's
> on any day, on any highway and count the number of cars that pull to the
> pump in a 30 minute period. Only one of those vehicles for each pump
> fills if its electric.
>
> The rest are stranded.

Why you'll see so few "fast" charging stations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqJ2DclEg

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Why+evs+are+not+catching+on

Alan Baker

Mar 8, 2021, 1:44:25 PM3/8/21
On 2021-03-07 7:02 p.m., Voice of REASON wrote:
> Goodbye Personal Mobility

<snip>

>> The guaranteed-return range of basically every EV, even the most-
>> expensive and expansive, is about 100 miles. The non-return range can
>> be around 300...

Why would I even bother rebutting other than to say that if the
non-return range is 300 miles...

...the the return range is 150.

News

Mar 8, 2021, 2:14:58 PM3/8/21
Not 'guaranteed'

Byker

Mar 8, 2021, 3:23:28 PM3/8/21
"News" wrote in message news:s25t3g$atd$1...@dont-email.me...
Especially at this time of year...

The Real Bev

Mar 8, 2021, 5:54:46 PM3/8/21
Got an executive summary of 100 words or fewer? Videos are rarely worth
the time required to watch them.

--
Cheers, Bev
Judges are our only protection against a legal system that can

sms

Mar 8, 2021, 7:32:25 PM3/8/21
On 3/8/2021 2:54 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

They've really over-built the number of fast charging stations in my
area. They have 28 Tesla super chargers at our local Target store
<https://i2.wp.com/teslanorth.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/na11la7w4px51.jpg>
and another 10 down the street at a small shopping center
<http://teslatouring.com/steve/2018g07b/2018-07-08%2000.00.58.jpg>.

The Tesla Model 3, which is the most popular electric car around here,
doesn't include free use of super-chargers. Since most people don't
drive hundreds of miles per day, it's much more economical to charge at
home, and a lot of people have installed solar panels that are
generating more electricity than they can use so they're not paying per
KWH for electricity. The pay-for-use chargers sit mostly empty because
the cost per KWH, around 40¢, is way too high.

Electric cars still aren't great for multi-hundred mile drives like from
Northern to Southern California. It takes too long to refill the batteries.

Voice of REASON

Mar 8, 2021, 8:32:12 PM3/8/21
Rod Speed wrote:

> More mindless bullshit. At most you might have to charge your EV more
> slowly and more often than you would have to do with an ICE.

Charging an EV is a LOT slower than filling a tank with gasoline.

> But that energy is much easier to produce now with nukes
> and we have the distribution system that allows it to be moved to where
> it is needed much more easily than we have ever had before and we can
> move much more comfortably when just horses and grass was the energy
> source.

Carter destroyed the civilian nuclear power industry in the United
States by banning the commercial reprocessing of spent fuel. Reagan
undid that, but NOBODY is going to even TRY to restart such
reprocessing when a president can flush a costly investment down
the toilet with the stroke of a pen.

Oh, and Biden just did the same to the oil and natural gas industry.

>>> The networks necessary to deliver that can be gated off to you at any
>>> time by corporate or government interests, and if they are you're
>>> ****ed.
>
> Nope, you can still generate your own if they do that.

Using what? Unicorn shit?

>>> If something goes wrong on your journey, delaying you and increasing
>>> that consumption -- you're ****ed.
>
> Just as true when the weather fucks what you want to do.

With an ICE, rarely to the point of leaving you totally stranded.

Alan Baker

Mar 8, 2021, 9:13:16 PM3/8/21
On 2021-03-08 5:32 p.m., Voice of REASON wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> More mindless bullshit. At most you might have to charge your EV more
>> slowly and more often than you would have to do with an ICE.
>
> Charging an EV is a LOT slower than filling a tank with gasoline.

Yup!

But lots and lots of people can do it at home... ...while they're sleeping.

>> But that energy is much easier to produce now with nukes
>> and we have the distribution system that allows it to be moved to where
>> it is needed much more easily than we have ever had before and we can
>> move much more comfortably when just horses and grass was the energy
>> source.
>
> Carter destroyed the civilian nuclear power industry in the United
> States by banning the commercial reprocessing of spent fuel. Reagan
> undid that, but NOBODY is going to even TRY to restart such
> reprocessing when a president can flush a costly investment down
> the toilet with the stroke of a pen.
>
> Oh, and Biden just did the same to the oil and natural gas industry.

>> Nope, you can still generate your own if they do that.
>
> Using what? Unicorn shit?

Sunshine.

Wind.

Gasoline.

Diesel.

Natural gas.

Retrograde

Mar 8, 2021, 9:26:28 PM3/8/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> writes:

[Dropped a bunch of non-germane NGs and one dumbass one.]

> On 3/8/2021 2:54 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> They've really over-built the number of fast charging stations in my
> area. They have 28 Tesla super chargers at our local Target store
> <https://i2.wp.com/teslanorth.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/na11la7w4px51.jpg>
> and another 10 down the street at a small shopping center
> <http://teslatouring.com/steve/2018g07b/2018-07-08%2000.00.58.jpg>.

Stick around - many auto makers are going to abandon internal combustion
engines by 2035. Over that time, stores that have gotten customers used
to charging at their venues (while shopping, natch) will be doing just
fine. These stores are looking towards the future.

> The Tesla Model 3, which is the most popular electric car around here,
> doesn't include free use of super-chargers. Since most people don't
> drive hundreds of miles per day, it's much more economical to charge
> at home, and a lot of people have installed solar panels that are
> generating more electricity than they can use so they're not paying
> per KWH for electricity. The pay-for-use chargers sit mostly empty
> because the cost per KWH, around 40¢, is way too high.

You pay one way or the other. It's not free if you charge at home. If
you've got solar at home, OK you win!

> Electric cars still aren't great for multi-hundred mile drives like
> from Northern to Southern California. It takes too long to refill the
> batteries.

The tech is changing fast. Stay tuned.

nospam

Mar 8, 2021, 10:02:30 PM3/8/21
In article <s26j6q$fs9$1...@neodome.net>, Voice of REASON
<rea...@anon.net> wrote:

> Charging an EV is a LOT slower than filling a tank with gasoline.

that makes absolutely no difference when plugged in at home to charge
overnight.

every morning is a 'full tank'.

most trips are well within the maximum range, so there's no need to
stop to recharge until back home.

it's only an issue for the occasional long road trip, except that
hotels have chargers so even then, it can charge overnight as it would
at home.

there are also chargers at shopping centers, restaurants, parking
garages, various employers and i've even seen them at a public library.

tl;dr it's actually *less* of a hassle than refueling.

Jonathan

Mar 8, 2021, 10:19:23 PM3/8/21
On 3/7/2021 10:02 PM, Voice of REASON wrote:
> Goodbye Personal Mobility
> https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241716
>
>> This is a fairly typical "car review" coming from an online rag that,
>> no surprise, writes car reviews.

Have you ever driven a hybrid? They not only get great
mileage, but you don't need to plug them in, and
when stepping on the gas the gas engine and electric
motor add to each other's hp and they ...scream.

The BMW 330i Got a Staggering 42 MPG in Our 75-MPH Fuel-Economy Test
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28915017/2019-bmw-330i-fuel-economy-test/
--
https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

Lewis

Mar 8, 2021, 10:33:15 PM3/8/21
In message <s26j6q$fs9$1...@neodome.net> Voice of REASON <rea...@anon.net> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:

>> More mindless bullshit. At most you might have to charge your EV more
>> slowly and more often than you would have to do with an ICE.

> Charging an EV is a LOT slower than filling a tank with gasoline.

Hardly matters, since you have to "fill" it much less frequently. And
fast chargers are quite fast, and very few people drive more than a EVs
max range at once.

But yes, I know, pesky facts.

> Oh, and Biden just did the same to the oil and natural gas industry.

Good.

> With an ICE, rarely to the point of leaving you totally stranded.

Only because trillions of dollars have been spent to build out an
infrastructure to support boom-boom cars.

--
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone,
but they've always worked for me." --Hunter Thompson

Rod Speed

Mar 8, 2021, 10:54:59 PM3/8/21
Voice of REASON <rea...@anon.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> At most you might have to charge your EV more slowly
>> and more often than you would have to do with an ICE.

> Charging an EV is a LOT slower than filling a tank with gasoline.

Yes, but still viable, particularly with the fast chargers when
there are enough of them so there are always some free.

>> But that energy is much easier to produce now with
>> nukes and we have the distribution system that allows
>> it to be moved to where it is needed much more easily
>> than we have ever had before and we can move much
>> more comfortably when just horses and grass was the
>> energy source.

> Carter destroyed the civilian nuclear power industry in the United
> States by banning the commercial reprocessing of spent fuel.

Nothing to stop that being reversed if the fuel for ICEs is no
longer available and the alternative is no private cars anymore.

> Reagan undid that, but NOBODY is going to even TRY to
> restart such reprocessing when a president can flush a costly
> investment down the toilet with the stroke of a pen.

But no prez would be that stupid if the fuel for ICEs is no longer
available and the alternative is no private cars anymore.

> Oh, and Biden just did the same to the oil and natural gas industry.

Bullshit he did, it still moves by train and the existing pipelines.

>> Nope, you can still generate your own if they do that.

> Using what? Unicorn shit?

The fuel you chose to store so you still have electricity
when it is unavailable for a week or two.

>> Just as true when the weather fucks what you want to do.

> With an ICE, rarely to the point of leaving you totally stranded.

Just as true of a EV in the USA that you
were mindlessly hyperventilating about.

Rod Speed

Mar 8, 2021, 10:56:48 PM3/8/21

"nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
That's bullshit when you have to do it every night instead of once a week or
two.

Alan Baker

Mar 8, 2021, 11:09:04 PM3/8/21
Every night (pretty much every night), my car is parked in the same spot
for something like 12 hours.

It would be no hassle at all to step out of it when I park and plug a
charging plug into it.

The Real Bev

Mar 8, 2021, 11:32:47 PM3/8/21
People's needs differ. If we can't say "Hey, let's go visit Sandy in
Houston for a couple of days tomorrow..." and actually do it, we've lost
something. Or Sequoia NP as a day trip from Los Angeles. Or going
skiing in Brian Head TOMORROW.

Some people live in apartment houses and take the train wherever they
want to go. I suppose there are worse lives, but I wouldn't choose any
of them.

We're a prosperous first-world country. We have choices. Giving them
up without a fight is shameful.

--
Cheers, Bev
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Matt Singer

Mar 8, 2021, 11:44:17 PM3/8/21
I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon going to be
simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.

I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting the
impending loss of horse drawn carriages. They got used to it.

nospam

Mar 8, 2021, 11:49:26 PM3/8/21
In article <s26tpd$hvr$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> People's needs differ. If we can't say "Hey, let's go visit Sandy in
> Houston for a couple of days tomorrow..." and actually do it, we've lost
> something. Or Sequoia NP as a day trip from Los Angeles. Or going
> skiing in Brian Head TOMORROW.

how often do you actually do that?

and you can still do that with an electric vehicle.

> Some people live in apartment houses and take the train wherever they
> want to go. I suppose there are worse lives, but I wouldn't choose any
> of them.

those people don't need a car.

they can always call an uber if the train doesn't go where they need to
go.

The Real Bev

Mar 9, 2021, 12:45:26 AM3/9/21
On 03/08/2021 08:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:
> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon going to be
> simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.

I really liked driving stick... until I broke some ribs and operating
the clutch really hurt. Still, if reliability weren't an issue I'd snap
up a Honda S2000.

> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting the
> impending loss of horse drawn carriages. They got used to it.

You used to be able to recognize the make, model and maybe even the year
of a car when it was 1/4 mile away. Hasn't been like that for a long time.

Hubby walked all over the parking lot looking for me in the white
Corolla and eventually gave up and walked home. He walked right by me.
Now when I come to pick him up I put a ski boot on top of the car.
Not sure what I'll use in April...

--
Cheers, Bev
You need only three tools: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 12:58:30 AM3/9/21

"Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message
Mine is parked for much longer than that, always in the same place.

> It would be no hassle at all to step out of it when I park and plug a
> charging plug into it.

It would be more hassle doing that every night
than filling it with gas every couple of weeks.
particularly as mine is parked under the trees
outside the house next to the public park/walkway
on that side of the house with no fence at all.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 1:01:18 AM3/9/21
Matt Singer <out.o...@wyebur.con> wrote
Because they were a lot more convenient in lots of ways.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 1:07:20 AM3/9/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote

>> People's needs differ. If we can't say "Hey, let's go visit Sandy
>> in Houston for a couple of days tomorrow..." and actually do
>> it, we've lost something. Or Sequoia NP as a day trip from
>> Los Angeles. Or going skiing in Brian Head TOMORROW.

> how often do you actually do that?

I do that sort of trip most months.

> and you can still do that with an electric vehicle.

But not as conveniently given that I normally
leave very early, to arrive at 8am or earlier,
and only need one quick fill or two of gas.

I never stop to eat etc, at most eat an apple by the side
of the road when I stop to piss by the side of the road.

>> Some people live in apartment houses and take the
>> train wherever they want to go. I suppose there are
>> worse lives, but I wouldn't choose any of them.

Me neither.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 1:09:26 AM3/9/21

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 03/08/2021 08:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:
>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon going
>> to be
>> simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.
>
> I really liked driving stick... until I broke some ribs and operating the
> clutch really hurt. Still, if reliability weren't an issue I'd snap up a
> Honda S2000.
>
>> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting
>> the
>> impending loss of horse drawn carriages. They got used to it.
>
> You used to be able to recognize the make, model and maybe even the year
> of a car when it was 1/4 mile away. Hasn't been like that for a long
> time.
>
> Hubby walked all over the parking lot looking for me in the white Corolla
> and eventually gave up and walked home. He walked right by me.

That’s why I got a bright yellow car, easy to find in big car parks.

> Now when I come to pick him up I put a ski boot on top of the car.

That doesn’t work when you need to find your own car in a car park.

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 1:10:00 AM3/9/21
Not really. And given that I'd save a lot of money over filling up with
gas, I think I could put up with it.

Michael Trew

Mar 9, 2021, 1:42:23 AM3/9/21
On 3/7/2021 10:02 PM, Voice of REASON wrote:
> Goodbye Personal Mobility
> https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241716
>
>> This is a fairly typical "car review" coming from an online rag that,
>> no surprise, writes car reviews.
>>
>> Buried in all of the prose, as is always the case, is the slam: Personal
>> mobility is ending in the United States. 100 years of the ability to go
>> where you want, when you want, literally anywhere within the confines of
>> Continental United States for any lawful purpose or no purpose at all is
>> ending. It will become more and more difficult to maintain over the
>> next 10 years and become effectively impossible within 20 to 30 years
>> for people of ordinary means.
>>
>> This is literally the end of America going all the way back to the
>> Founders.
>>
>> You see a horse needed something to eat and water to drink. An EV needs
>> electricity; highly-refined energy at the highest commonly-used form,
>> and it needs it in size. The networks necessary to deliver that can be
>> gated off to you at any time by corporate or government interests, and
>> if they are you're ****ed. If something goes wrong on your journey,
>> delaying you and increasing that consumption -- you're ****ed.
>>
>> The guaranteed-return range of basically every EV, even the most-
>> expensive and expansive, is about 100 miles. The non-return range can
>> be around 300, but that doesn't matter when you get down to it because
>> it presumes charging at a rational rate is available at the other end --
>> or wherever you wind up. It sounds like 30 minutes of charging time for
>> a "top off" isn't so bad and it isn't when there is one vehicle that
>> wants to be charged in a given place. Now pull into a Pilot or Love's
>> on any day, on any highway and count the number of cars that pull to the
>> pump in a 30 minute period. Only one of those vehicles for each pump
>> fills if its electric.
>>
>> The rest are stranded.

I have no interest in electric vehicles. I'll be a bitter hold out
until the point that it's difficult to find gasoline. I already drive
30 year old cars as it is. I regularly make multiple-annual 14 hour one
way road trips... no way I could do that in a clunky electric vehicle.
Keep a gas can in the car in case you run out. Stranded on the road
with a dead electric battery? Lol - good luck "bump starting" your way
out of that one like I can do with my '93 Metro - so as long as I have
fuel.

Siri Cruise

Mar 9, 2021, 2:58:26 AM3/9/21
In article <s26j6q$fs9$1...@neodome.net>,
Voice of REASON <rea...@anon.net> wrote:

> Carter destroyed the civilian nuclear power industry in the United

Not Price-Anderson?

In US law the risk of nuclear catastrophe are incalculatable.
Therefore Congress limitted how much insurers would have to pay
out. Presumably Congress would make up the difference with
disaster relief, but Congress doesn't promise that.

I would have more confidence if generators were insured for all
damages without Congress stepping in.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Chris

Mar 9, 2021, 3:30:11 AM3/9/21
No country has the right to screw up the world for everyone else. We only
have one planet and no one has the right to selfishly use it for their own
preference.

We all have to make changes so that life can be sustained at somewhat
acceptable levels for all of us. Yes, that does mean that the most selfish
will see the biggest changes.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 4:15:54 AM3/9/21

"Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message
Corse it is.

> And given that I'd save a lot of money over filling up with gas,

But pay a lot more for the car, stupid.

> I think I could put up with it.

Different issue entirely.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 4:21:23 AM3/9/21

"Chris" <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote in message
The world isnt being screwed up and that one did invent nukes, stupid.

> We only have one planet and no one has the
> right to selfishly use it for their own preference.

Even the USA isnt doing that.

> We all have to make changes so that life can be
> sustained at somewhat acceptable levels for all of us.

Bullshit we do.

> Yes, that does mean that the most selfish will see the biggest changes.

More mindless bullshit.

NoBody

Mar 9, 2021, 7:06:28 AM3/9/21
And where is the electricity to charge it going to come from? Our
grid is already overloaded.

NoBody

Mar 9, 2021, 7:23:18 AM3/9/21
On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 20:44:13 -0800, Matt Singer <out.o...@wyebur.con>
wrote:
Right after we figure out how to generate enough electricity to power
these things and stop poisoning the environment with defective
batteries.

Chris

Mar 9, 2021, 8:08:12 AM3/9/21
Your grid may be (I'm assuming US), but most are not. If you are in the US
you can thank poor regulation and profits over customers/service
requirements.

Liberals are VERMIN

Mar 9, 2021, 8:29:23 AM3/9/21
Rod Speed wrote
How about showing some innovation and supporting the coal industry at the
same time, coal powered cars are the future.

They used to do it with locomotives before liberals, seeking to destroy the
lives of coal miners, brought in diesel fuel with new fancy techonology.
They're trying it again with electric cars.

Matt Singer

Mar 9, 2021, 9:59:15 AM3/9/21
On 3/9/2021 4:23 AM, NoBody wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 20:44:13 -0800, Matt Singer <out.o...@wyebur.con>
> wrote:
>
>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon going to be
>> simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.
>>
>> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting the
>> impending loss of horse drawn carriages. They got used to it.
>
> Right after we figure out how to generate enough electricity to power
> these things

That part is easy.

> and stop poisoning the environment with defective
> batteries.

A bit more complicated, but not an insoluble problem.

sms

Mar 9, 2021, 10:04:25 AM3/9/21
On 3/8/2021 7:19 PM, Jonathan wrote:

<snip>

> Have you ever driven a hybrid?  They not only get great
> mileage, but you don't need to plug them in, and
> when stepping on the gas the gas engine and electric
> motor add to each other's hp and they ...scream.

Exactly. An I4 hybrid gives you the acceleration of a V6 but with much
better MPG than either the I4 or the V6. That's if it doesn't use the
gasoline engine just as a generator, but directly drives the wheels with
both the gasoline engine and the electric motor.

sms

Mar 9, 2021, 10:15:52 AM3/9/21
On 3/8/2021 8:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> People's needs differ.  If we can't say "Hey, let's go visit Sandy in
> Houston for a couple of days tomorrow..." and actually do it, we've lost
> something.  Or Sequoia NP as a day trip from Los Angeles.  Or going
> skiing in Brian Head TOMORROW.

Surprisingly, there are a lot of Teslas with California license plates
parked at ski areas in Nevada. Never thought I'd see that, but the the
proliferation of super-chargers it's not all that difficult to take
longer trips if you plan accordingly.

> Some people live in apartment houses and take the train wherever they
> want to go.  I suppose there are worse lives, but I wouldn't choose any
> of them.

If you look at car ownership in dense U.S. cities it's clear that even
that people that live in apartments, and take mass transit to work,
still own cars.

sms

Mar 9, 2021, 10:21:12 AM3/9/21
With far fewer components, electric cars are going to be less expensive
as well. Right now we're seeing electric vehicle companies trying to
recover their development and tooling costs through higher prices but
that's not going to be the case long-term. See
<https://www.industryweek.com/technology-and-iiot/energy/article/22017905/electric-cars-soon-will-cost-less-than-gasoline-autos-research-shows>.

sms

Mar 9, 2021, 10:28:38 AM3/9/21
On 3/8/2021 9:45 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> You used to be able to recognize the make, model and maybe even the year
> of a car when it was 1/4 mile away.  Hasn't been like that for a long time.
>
> Hubby walked all over the parking lot looking for me in the white
> Corolla and eventually gave up and walked home.  He walked right by me.
>  Now when I come to pick him up I put a ski boot on top of the car. Not
> sure what I'll use in April...

The similarity of cars, and so many Toyotas caused a scary incident at a
Publix supermarket store in Florida a couple of years ago. Thankfully it
ended without anyone getting hurt.

An elderly resident finished her shopping at Publix and was returning to
her vehicle, a white 2009 Toyota Camry. Approaching the vehicle she
witnessed four males inside the vehicle and beginning to back out of the
parking space. She put her shopping cart behind the vehicle and pulled a
gun from her purse and screamed at them, "I have a gun, and I know how
to use it! GET OUT OF THE CAR!"

The four men exited the vehicle and ran.

The resident loaded her shopping bags into the back seat of the car and
got in, but was unable to start the vehicle. Finally she realized that
she was not in her own car, and that her car was parked two spaces down,
in the same row. She loaded her bags into her own car, drove home, and
telephoned the police to report her mistake. The captain began laughing
hysterically, and informed her that there was an officer in the Publix
parking lot taking a report of an armed carjacking from four men, who
had described her perfectly, 75-80 years old, five feet tall, glasses,
white hair and carrying a gun. The four men agreed not to press charges.

News

Mar 9, 2021, 10:42:40 AM3/9/21
On 3/8/2021 5:54 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/08/2021 10:12 AM, Byker wrote:
>> "Voice of REASON"  wrote in message news:s2443f$2kgc$1...@neodome.net...
>>>
>>> The guaranteed-return range of basically every EV, even the most-
>>> expensive and expansive, is about 100 miles.  The non-return range can
>>> be around 300, but that doesn't matter when you get down to it because
>>> it presumes charging at a rational rate is available at the other end --
>>> or wherever you wind up. It sounds like 30 minutes of charging time for
>>> a "top off" isn't so bad and it isn't when there is one vehicle that
>>> wants to be charged in a given place.  Now pull into a Pilot or Love's
>>> on any day, on any highway and count the number of cars that pull to the
>>> pump in a 30 minute period. Only one of those vehicles for each pump
>>> fills if its electric.
>>>
>>> The rest are stranded.
>>
>> Why you'll see so few "fast" charging stations:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqJ2DclEg
>
> Got an executive summary of 100 words or fewer?  Videos are rarely worth
> the time required to watch them.
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Why+evs+are+not+catching+on

This guy makes a fundamental error on charge (fueling) infrastructure.

It's not governments' role to provide or build charging stations, much
as it is not governments' role to provide or build gas stations
(gasoline, or natural gas, or hydrogen).

That the EU chose to do so is not relevant globally.

Chris

Mar 9, 2021, 10:48:50 AM3/9/21
Sure. It's the scary "liberals" fault. LOL!

Chris

Mar 9, 2021, 10:53:50 AM3/9/21
Both of which are non-issues.

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 10:57:26 AM3/9/21
Nope.

>> And given that I'd save a lot of money over filling up with gas,
>
> But pay a lot more for the car, stupid.

But getting less expensive all the time.

>> I think I could put up with it.
>
> Different issue entirely.

But it offers a benefit:

Every day, you begin with a car at full range.

Matt Singer

Mar 9, 2021, 10:57:32 AM3/9/21
Electric cars will be more convenient than fossil fuel powered cars, too.

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 10:58:12 AM3/9/21
Change is going to come, isn't it?

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 10:58:35 AM3/9/21
Batteries are one of the easiest things to recycle.

nospam

Mar 9, 2021, 10:59:59 AM3/9/21
In article <s283f6$oq0$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > Some people live in apartment houses and take the train wherever they
> > want to go.  I suppose there are worse lives, but I wouldn't choose any
> > of them.
>
> If you look at car ownership in dense U.S. cities it's clear that even
> that people that live in apartments, and take mass transit to work,
> still own cars.

some might, however, a significant number do not own cars because mass
transit works well, with uber/lyft for places mass transit does not go
or when it does not run.

Matt Singer

Mar 9, 2021, 11:05:53 AM3/9/21
On 3/8/2021 9:45 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/08/2021 08:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:
>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon going to be
>> simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.
>
> I really liked driving stick... until I broke some ribs and operating the clutch
> really hurt.  Still, if reliability weren't an issue I'd snap up a Honda S2000.

I have exclusively owned manual transmission cars since the early 1970s. My
first two heaps as a young driver were automatics because they were affordable
and available, but once I had a little more choice in selecting a car, I went
with the manual and never left.

>> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting the
>> impending loss of horse drawn carriages.  They got used to it.
>
> You used to be able to recognize the make, model and maybe even the year of a
> car when it was 1/4 mile away.  Hasn't been like that for a long time.

I don't know about recognizing as much detail as you say, but you definitely had
some idea. In particular, I remember Chrysler products in the 1960s and 1970s
having a very distinctive starter motor sound; unmistakable.

> Hubby walked all over the parking lot looking for me in the white Corolla and
> eventually gave up and walked home.  He walked right by me.  Now when I come to
> pick him up I put a ski boot on top of the car. Not sure what I'll use in April...

You could put a jello salad or a goldfish bowl, as in that Allstate ad. The
apartment house at the end of that ad is in a district of Los Angeles called
Eagle Rock. I grew up in the adjoining city of Glendale.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 11:07:35 AM3/9/21
Liberals are VERMIN <rande...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Matt Singer <out.o...@wyebur.con> wrote

>>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon
>>> going to be simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.

>>> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting
>>> the impending loss of horse drawn carriages. They got used to it.

>> Because they were a lot more convenient in lots of ways.

> How about showing some innovation and
> supporting the coal industry at the same time,

We do, but nukes make a lot more sense for most countrys.

> coal powered cars are the future.

No chance.

> They used to do it with locomotives

And then we noticed that diesel and electric
powered locos work a hell of a lot better.

> before liberals, seeking to destroy the lives of coal miners,
> brought in diesel fuel with new fancy techonology.

Because that works a hell of a lot better than coal.

And it wasn’t liberals, it was the industry that noticed that.

And then moved on to electric powered
locos for all but some long haul trains.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 11:16:16 AM3/9/21

"sms" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On 3/8/2021 8:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:
>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon going
>> to be simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.
>>
>> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting
>> the impending loss of horse drawn carriages. They got used to it.

> With far fewer components, electric cars are going to be less expensive as
> well.

Nope, because of the rather more expensive batterys required.

> Right now we're seeing electric vehicle companies trying to recover their
> development and tooling costs through higher prices

Bullshit.

> but that's not going to be the case long-term.

But the high cost of batterys is.

> See
> <https://www.industryweek.com/technology-and-iiot/energy/article/22017905/electric-cars-soon-will-cost-less-than-gasoline-autos-research-shows>.

Just because some fool claims something...

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 11:21:44 AM3/9/21

"Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message
Yep.

>>> And given that I'd save a lot of money over filling up with gas,
>>
>> But pay a lot more for the car, stupid.
>
> But getting less expensive all the time.

But always considerably more expensive than an ICE.

>>> I think I could put up with it.
>>
>> Different issue entirely.
>
> But it offers a benefit:
>
> Every day, you begin with a car at full range.

And get to fart around with much longer refilling on longer trips.

Matt Singer

Mar 9, 2021, 11:22:12 AM3/9/21
Maybe not non-issues altogether, but definitely not show-stoppers.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 11:22:57 AM3/9/21

"Matt Singer" <out.o...@wyebur.con> wrote in message
Bullshit when you have to plug them in every night, and have
to fart around with much slower refilling on longer trips.

Terry Runyon

Mar 9, 2021, 11:39:27 AM3/9/21
On 3/9/2021 8:15 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

> "sms" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> On 3/8/2021 8:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:
>>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon going to
>>> be simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.
>>>
>>> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were lamenting the
>>> impending loss of horse drawn carriages.  They got used to it.
>
>> With far fewer components, electric cars are going to be less expensive as well.
>
> Nope, because of the rather more expensive batterys required.

Wrong. Battery cost is falling all the time.

>> Right now we're seeing electric vehicle companies trying to recover their
>> development and tooling costs through higher prices
>
> Bullshit.

Nope.

>> but that's not going to be the case long-term.
>
> But the high cost of batterys is.

Wrong.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 11:46:53 AM3/9/21

> On 3/8/2021 9:45 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 03/08/2021 08:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:
>>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon
>>> going to be
>>> simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.
>>
>> I really liked driving stick... until I broke some ribs and operating the
>> clutch really hurt. Still, if reliability weren't an issue I'd snap up a
>> Honda S2000.

> I have exclusively owned manual transmission cars since the early 1970s.

Me too since well before that.

> My first two heaps as a young driver were automatics because they were
> affordable and available,

None of mine were.

> but once I had a little more choice in selecting a car, I went with the
> manual and never left.

I will likely go auto with the next one for the much better
cruise control and convenience around town as a bonus.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 11:50:47 AM3/9/21

"Terry Runyon" <jacques.idiot.buddy@number.3> wrote in message
> On 3/9/2021 8:15 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
>>

>> "sms" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> With far fewer components, electric cars are going to be less expensive
>>> as well.
>>
>> Nope, because of the rather more expensive batterys required.
>
> Wrong.

We'll see...

> Battery cost is falling all the time.

But are still much more expensive than ICE cars.

Vastly so if you buy used cars.

>>> Right now we're seeing electric vehicle companies trying to recover
>>> their development and tooling costs through higher prices
>>
>> Bullshit.
>
> Nope.

Yep.

>>> but that's not going to be the case long-term.
>>
>> But the high cost of batterys is.
>
> Wrong.

Yes you always are.

Wade Garrett

Mar 9, 2021, 11:50:47 AM3/9/21
On 3/9/21 11:05 AM, Matt Singer wrote:
> On 3/8/2021 9:45 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 03/08/2021 08:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:

<SNIP>

> I don't know about recognizing as much detail as you say, but you
> definitely had some idea.  In particular, I remember Chrysler products
> in the 1960s and 1970s having a very distinctive starter motor sound;
> unmistakable.

<SNIP>

Oh yeah, I remember that whiny sound in my '73 Dodge Dart slant six...

And as for EVs? Not ready for prime time yet due to the lack of
convenient charging infrastructure.

The other thing I wonder about is where is all that extra electricity
going to come from? Probably not the Energizer Bunny Fairy ;-)

And how much pollution will generating it add given the lack of nuclear
generation facilities...

--
Name one time in human history when the group seeking to ban books and
censor speech were the good guys. I'll wait...

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 11:51:49 AM3/9/21
On 2021-03-09 8:15 a.m., Rod Speed wrote:

> "sms" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> On 3/8/2021 8:44 PM, Matt Singer wrote:
>>> I am going to miss manual transmissions, but electric cars are soon
>>> going to be simply "cars" — what will be available on the market.
>>>
>>> I'm sure when cars first appeared 120+ years ago, people were
>>> lamenting the impending loss of horse drawn carriages.  They got used
>>> to it.
>
>> With far fewer components, electric cars are going to be less
>> expensive as well.
>
> Nope, because of the rather more expensive batterys required.
>
>> Right now we're seeing electric vehicle companies trying to recover
>> their development and tooling costs through higher prices
>
> Bullshit.
>
>> but that's not going to be the case long-term.
>
> But the high cost of batterys is.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34992832/battery-price-drop-2023/

<https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikescott/2020/12/18/ever-cheaper-batteries-bring-cost-of-electric-cars-closer-to-gas-guzzlers/>

<https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/electric-car-battery-pack-prices-outlook/>

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 11:52:49 AM3/9/21
Nope.

>>> But pay a lot more for the car, stupid.
>>
>> But getting less expensive all the time.
>
> But always considerably more expensive than an ICE.

And that will always be the case will it?

>>> Different issue entirely.
>>
>> But it offers a benefit:
>>
>> Every day, you begin with a car at full range.
>
> And get to fart around with much longer refilling on longer trips.

Which for many people are non-existent or nearly so.

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 11:54:34 AM3/9/21
Which for many is easy.

> and have
> to fart around with much slower refilling on longer trips.

Which many people never take.

Terry Runyon

Mar 9, 2021, 11:54:49 AM3/9/21
Don't you brush your teeth every day? Plugging the car in is less hassle than
brushing your teeth.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 12:44:10 PM3/9/21

"Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message
The cars are all still much more expensive than an ICE.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 12:45:29 PM3/9/21

"Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message
Yep

>>> But getting less expensive all the time.
>>
>> But always considerably more expensive than an ICE.
>
> And that will always be the case will it?

Yep.

>>> But it offers a benefit:
>>>
>>> Every day, you begin with a car at full range.
>>
>> And get to fart around with much longer refilling on longer trips.
>
> Which for many people are non-existent or nearly so.

For fuck all in fact.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 12:46:53 PM3/9/21

> On 2021-03-09 8:22 a.m., Rod Speed wrote:
>>

>> "Matt Singer" <out.o...@wyebur.con> wrote in message

>>> Electric cars will be more convenient than fossil fuel powered cars,
>>> too.
>>
>> Bullshit when you have to plug them in every night,
>
> Which for many is easy.

But still a lot more farting around than refilling
once ever week or fortnight.

>> and have to fart around with much slower refilling on longer trips.

> Which many people never take.

Fuck all in fact.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 12:49:36 PM3/9/21
Terry Runyon <jacques.idiot.buddy@number.3> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> "Matt Singer" <out.o...@wyebur.con> wrote in message

>>> Electric cars will be more convenient than fossil fuel powered cars,
>>> too.
>>
>> Bullshit when you have to plug them in every night,

> Don't you brush your teeth every day?

Nope.

> Plugging the car in is less hassle than brushing your teeth.

Irrelevant when I don’t brush my teeth.

Terry Runyon

Mar 9, 2021, 1:31:02 PM3/9/21
On 3/9/2021 9:49 AM, Rot Half-Speed wrote:
> Terry Runyon <jacques.idiot.buddy@number.3> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> "Matt Singer" <out.o...@wyebur.con> wrote in message

>>> Bullshit when you have to plug them in every night,
>
>> Don't you brush your teeth every day?
>
> Nope.

Oh, that's right — you're a Brit with none of your natural teeth left after age 30.

Ken Blake

Mar 9, 2021, 1:36:10 PM3/9/21
On 3/8/2021 5:32 PM, sms wrote:

> Electric cars still aren't great for multi-hundred mile drives like from
> Northern to Southern California. It takes too long to refill the batteries.

Yes, that's true for now, but it will change in the not-too-distant future.

For someone like me, who almost never drives more than 50 miles round
trip, they would be fine. The only reason I don't have one is their price.

My current car is a 2020 gasoline Toyota. At my age (83) it will likely
be the last car I will ever buy, but if I do ever buy another, perhaps
the next one will be electric.

--
Ken

Ken Blake

Mar 9, 2021, 1:42:00 PM3/9/21
On 3/9/2021 8:28 AM, sms wrote:
> On 3/8/2021 9:45 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> You used to be able to recognize the make, model and maybe even the year
>> of a car when it was 1/4 mile away.  Hasn't been like that for a long time.
>>
>> Hubby walked all over the parking lot looking for me in the white
>> Corolla and eventually gave up and walked home.  He walked right by me.
>>  Now when I come to pick him up I put a ski boot on top of the car. Not
>> sure what I'll use in April...
>
> The similarity of cars, and so many Toyotas caused a scary incident at a
> Publix supermarket store in Florida a couple of years ago. Thankfully it
> ended without anyone getting hurt.
>
> An elderly resident finished her shopping at Publix and was returning to
> her vehicle, a white 2009 Toyota Camry. Approaching the vehicle she
> witnessed four males inside the vehicle and beginning to back out of the
> parking space. She put her shopping cart behind the vehicle and pulled a
> gun from her purse and screamed at them, "I have a gun, and I know how
> to use it! GET OUT OF THE CAR!"
>
> The four men exited the vehicle and ran.
>
> The resident loaded her shopping bags into the back seat of the car and
> got in, but was unable to start the vehicle. Finally she realized that
> she was not in her own car, and that her car was parked two spaces down,
> in the same row. She loaded her bags into her own car, drove home, and
> telephoned the police to report her mistake. The captain began laughing
> hysterically, and informed her that there was an officer in the Publix
> parking lot taking a report of an armed carjacking from four men, who
> had described her perfectly, 75-80 years old, five feet tall, glasses,
> white hair and carrying a gun. The four men agreed not to press charges.

I've more than once seen a White Camry that I thought was mine, but when
I get close enough to open the door I always quickly realized it wasn't.
It's easy to notice that the things I keep in my car aren't there.

--
Ken

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 1:43:58 PM3/9/21
On 2021-03-09 9:46 a.m., Rod Speed wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message
>> On 2021-03-09 8:22 a.m., Rod Speed wrote:
>>>

>>> "Matt Singer" <out.o...@wyebur.con> wrote in message

>>> Bullshit when you have to plug them in every night,
>>
>> Which for many is easy.
>
> But still a lot more farting around than refilling
> once ever week or fortnight.

Plugging in a simple plug is easy.

>>> and have to fart around with much slower refilling on longer trips.
>
>> Which many people never take.
>
> Fuck all in fact.

Sorry, but you're simply wrong.

Alan Baker

Mar 9, 2021, 1:47:44 PM3/9/21
And according to you that is because of the "high cost of batterys [sic]"...

...and when presented with the fact that the cost of batteries is coming
down and fast...

...you circle back around.

:-)

Mitchell Holman

Mar 9, 2021, 1:58:08 PM3/9/21
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in
That won't be an issue very much longer,
what with the car companies (GM, BMW, Volvo,
Volkswagon, et al) switching over to electric
vehicles only production.

"GM is on its way to an all-electric future,
with a commitment to 30 new global electric
vehicles by 2025. We are aggressively going
after every aspect of what it takes to put
everyone in an EV because we need millions
of EVs on the road to make a meaningful
impact toward building a zero-emissions
future. GM is positioned to design, engineer,
and produce EVs for every style and price
point, and we are rapidly building a
competitive advantage in batteries, software,
vehicle integration, manufacturing and customer
experience."
https://www.gm.com/electric-vehicles.html

andy_f...@hotmail.com

Mar 9, 2021, 2:03:58 PM3/9/21
On Tue, 09 Mar 2021 12:58:02 -0600, Mitchell Holman <noe...@att.net>
wrote:
Don't hold your breath, Dummy...

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 2:22:20 PM3/9/21
Nope.

> with none of your natural teeth left after age 30.

Wrong, as always.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 2:24:27 PM3/9/21
Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote
> sms wrote

>> Electric cars still aren't great for multi-hundred mile drives like from
>> Northern to Southern California. It takes too long to refill the
>> batteries.

> Yes, that's true for now, but it will change in the not-too-distant
> future.

That remains to be seen.

> For someone like me, who almost never drives more than 50 miles round
> trip, they would be fine. The only reason I don't have one is their price.

Which aint gunna change either, you watch.

> My current car is a 2020 gasoline Toyota. At my age (83) it will likely be
> the last car I will ever buy, but if I do ever buy another, perhaps the
> next one will be electric.

Bet it isnt.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 2:26:47 PM3/9/21

> On 2021-03-09 9:46 a.m., Rod Speed wrote:
>>

>> "Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message

>>> Which for many is easy.
>>
>> But still a lot more farting around than refilling
>> once ever week or fortnight.

> Plugging in a simple plug is easy.

Not when its not in the garage it isnt.

And its still much more farting around having to do it every fucking day.

>>> Which many people never take.

>> Fuck all in fact.

> Sorry, but you're simply wrong.

Nope, you are. And you are lying about being sorry.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 2:27:46 PM3/9/21

"Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message
Bullshit it is.

> ...you circle back around.

More of your lying.

> :-)

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 2:32:29 PM3/9/21

"Mitchell Holman" <noe...@att.net> wrote in message
> "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in
>

>> "Alan Baker" <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote in message

>>> https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34992832/battery-price-drop-2023/
>>>
>>> <https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikescott/2020/12/18/ever-cheaper-batter
>>> ies-bring-cost-of-electric-cars-closer-to-gas-guzzlers/>
>>>
>>> <https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/electric-car-battery-pack-prices-o
>>> utlook/>
>>
>> The cars are all still much more expensive than an ICE.

> That won't be an issue very much longer,

Bullshit.

> what with the car companies (GM, BMW, Volvo,
> Volkswagon, et al) switching over to electric
> vehicles only production.

Fuck all are in fact that stupid.

> "GM is on its way to an all-electric future,

Not the first time those clowns have fucked up completely...

There might just be a reason they went
broke and had to be bailed out by govt.

> with a commitment to 30 new global electric
> vehicles by 2025. We are aggressively going
> after every aspect of what it takes to put
> everyone in an EV because we need millions
> of EVs on the road to make a meaningful
> impact toward building a zero-emissions
> future.

There will never be a zero-emissions future, you watch.

> GM is positioned to design, engineer, and
> produce EVs for every style and price point,

And will go broke again, you watch.

> and we are rapidly building a competitive
> advantage in batteries, software, vehicle integration,
> manufacturing and customer experience."

Just more sales bullshit. You're so stupid you swallowed the lot.

> https://www.gm.com/electric-vehicles.html

Byker

Mar 9, 2021, 2:32:49 PM3/9/21
"News" wrote in message news:s2851e$nik$1...@dont-email.me...

> Got an executive summary of 100 words or fewer? Videos are rarely worth
> the time required to watch them.

You don't know what you're missing, ignoranus...

News

Mar 9, 2021, 2:37:59 PM3/9/21
Tell it to The Real Bev, wank-off.

Ron Artest

Mar 9, 2021, 3:01:24 PM3/9/21
On 3/9/2021 11:22 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
> Terry Runyon <jacques.idiot.buddy@number.3> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Terry Runyon <jacques.idiot.buddy@number.3> wrote

>>> Nope.
>>
>> Oh, that's right — you're a Brit
>
> Nope.

Bullshit. I established that you are long ago in alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

>> with none of your natural teeth left after age 30.
>
> Wrong, as always.

Nope.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 3:18:45 PM3/9/21
Ron Artest <power....@lalakers.con> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Terry Runyon <jacques.idiot.buddy@number.3> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Oh, that's right — you're a Brit
>>
>> Nope.

> Bullshit.

Fact.

> I established that you are long ago in alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Like hell you did.

>>> with none of your natural teeth left after age 30.

>> Wrong, as always.

> Nope.

Yep, still got them.

sms

Mar 9, 2021, 3:25:15 PM3/9/21
On 3/9/2021 10:58 AM, Mitchell Holman wrote:

<snip>

> "GM is on its way to an all-electric future,
> with a commitment to 30 new global electric
> vehicles by 2025. We are aggressively going
> after every aspect of what it takes to put
> everyone in an EV because we need millions
> of EVs on the road to make a meaningful
> impact toward building a zero-emissions
> future. GM is positioned to design, engineer,
> and produce EVs for every style and price
> point, and we are rapidly building a
> competitive advantage in batteries, software,
> vehicle integration, manufacturing and customer
> experience."
> https://www.gm.com/electric-vehicles.html

In six or seven years it will be as hard to buy a gasoline or diesel
powered car as it is to buy a film camera.

nospam

Mar 9, 2021, 3:35:50 PM3/9/21
In article <s28lj9$1mf$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> In six or seven years it will be as hard to buy a gasoline or diesel
> powered car as it is to buy a film camera.

eventually, but definitely not in 6-7 years.

Ken Blake

Mar 9, 2021, 4:15:01 PM3/9/21
On 3/9/2021 12:24 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
> Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote
>> sms wrote
>
>>> Electric cars still aren't great for multi-hundred mile drives like from
>>> Northern to Southern California. It takes too long to refill the
>>> batteries.
>
>> Yes, that's true for now, but it will change in the not-too-distant
>> future.
>
> That remains to be seen.

Of course. What I said is my opinion, not a certainty.

>> For someone like me, who almost never drives more than 50 miles round
>> trip, they would be fine. The only reason I don't have one is their price.

> Which aint gunna change either, you watch.

Prices have been coming down.

>> My current car is a 2020 gasoline Toyota. At my age (83) it will likely be
>> the last car I will ever buy, but if I do ever buy another, perhaps the
>> next one will be electric.
>
> Bet it isnt.

I bet I'll never buy another car, but my guess is that in a few more
years, nobody will make gasoline-powered cars anymore.

Again, that's my opinion, not a certainty.

--
Ken

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 4:16:23 PM3/9/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote
> Mitchell Holman wrote
BULLSHIT.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 4:18:11 PM3/9/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote

>> In six or seven years it will be as hard to buy a gasoline
>> or diesel powered car as it is to buy a film camera.

> eventually,

bullshit.

> but definitely not in 6-7 years.

Yep, he's completely off with the fucking fairys, as always.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2021, 6:51:48 PM3/9/21

"Ken Blake" <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> On 3/9/2021 12:24 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
>> Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote
>>> sms wrote

>>> Yes, that's true for now, but it will change in the not-too-distant
>>> future.
>>
>> That remains to be seen.
>

> Of course. What I said is my opinion, not a certainty.
>

>>> For someone like me, who almost never drives more than 50 miles round
>>> trip, they would be fine. The only reason I don't have one is their
>>> price.
>
>> Which aint gunna change either, you watch.
>

> Prices have been coming down.

Hardly surprising as volume picks up, but
still nowhere near the price of an ICE.

>>> My current car is a 2020 gasoline Toyota. At my age (83) it will likely
>>> be the last car I will ever buy, but if I do ever buy another, perhaps
>>> the next one will be electric.

>> Bet it isnt.

> I bet I'll never buy another car,

Yes, that is very likely indeed.

> but my guess is that in a few more years, nobody will make
> gasoline-powered cars anymore.

I don’t buy that.

> Again, that's my opinion, not a certainty.

It is a certainty that that wont happen.

NoBody

Mar 10, 2021, 7:02:52 AM3/10/21
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 13:08:10 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>NoBody <NoB...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 20:09:02 -0800, Alan Baker
>> <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote:

>>> Every night (pretty much every night), my car is parked in the same spot
>>> for something like 12 hours.
>>>
>>> It would be no hassle at all to step out of it when I park and plug a
>>> charging plug into it.
>>
>> And where is the electricity to charge it going to come from? Our
>> grid is already overloaded.
>
>Your grid may be (I'm assuming US), but most are not. If you are in the US
>you can thank poor regulation and profits over customers/service
>requirements.

All over the country, during the summer, there frequently are brown
outs and rolling blackouts. Please show us where all this excess
capacity is.

Chris

Mar 10, 2021, 8:17:47 AM3/10/21
Which is due to poor infrastructure and poor planning. This is not new and
the fact customers accept it is ridiculous especially in such an energy
rich country.

> Please show us where all this excess
> capacity is.

Not in the US.

Ken Blake

Mar 10, 2021, 11:24:44 AM3/10/21
On 3/9/2021 4:51 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

> "Ken Blake" <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
>> On 3/9/2021 12:24 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote

>>> That remains to be seen.
>>

>> Of course. What I said is my opinion, not a certainty.

>>> Which aint gunna change either, you watch.
>>

>> Prices have been coming down.
>
> Hardly surprising as volume picks up, but
> still nowhere near the price of an ICE.

Right. Still nowhere near. But we'll see about the future.

>>> Bet it isnt.
>
>> I bet I'll never buy another car,
>
> Yes, that is very likely indeed.
>
>> but my guess is that in a few more years, nobody will make
>> gasoline-powered cars anymore.
>
> I don’t buy that.
>
>> Again, that's my opinion, not a certainty.
>
> It is a certainty that that wont happen.

As far as I'm concerned, it's almost a certainty that it will happen.
The only question in my mind is when.

--
Ken

Alan Baker

Mar 10, 2021, 11:49:29 AM3/10/21
It will be longer than six or seven years, I agree.

Alan Baker

Mar 10, 2021, 11:55:40 AM3/10/21
I'm pretty sure it will be longer than that; quite a bit longer.

My guess is 15-30 years.

sms

Mar 10, 2021, 11:55:42 AM3/10/21
On 3/9/2021 1:14 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

<snip>

> I bet I'll never buy another car, but my guess is that in a few more
> years, nobody will make gasoline-powered cars anymore.
>
> Again, that's my opinion, not a certainty.

Gasoline powered vehicles will be a niche market and there will likely
be a few models still made, especially trucks and large SUVs. One reason
that the automakers are embracing electric vehicles is that they will be
less expensive to manufacture as battery prices continue to fall.
Electric cars are much less complex to manufacture. No emissions
controls, no oil circulation, simpler cooling, no cat, no muffler, etc.

Around here one of the big incentives for buying an electric vehicle was
that you could use the HOV lane (carpool lane) solo. However now the
freeway HOV lanes are all being converted to Express Lanes. Express
Lanes are no longer free for solo drivers in electric cars though they
do get a discount. After spending a fortune on building Express Lanes,
or converting HOV lanes to Express Lanes, the pandemic hit and traffic
became so light that there was no upside to paying to use the Express
Lanes. There's been an exodus of renters from the area, they are buying
houses in more affordable areas and doing remote-working, so the traffic
levels are not going to return to prior levels even when the pandemic is
over. The expressways still have HOV lanes that are free for solo
electric car drivers.

The other incentive around here is essentially free, or at least "paid
for" fuel. Many businesses offer free wireless charging stations, albeit
not fast charging. Most electric car buyers install solar panels on
their homes, trading a one-time cost for unlimited fuel at no additional
cost.

While it's true that electric vehicles may not be convenient for a trip
of 300+ miles, most of the owners of the electric cars are multi-car
families and they'll typically have a minivan or SUV for longer trips. I
know one all-Tesla" family and they just rent a vehicle for the
occasional long road trip.

Alan Baker

Mar 10, 2021, 12:01:42 PM3/10/21
Sorry, but the actual physical action of plugging in a plug is easy.

> And its still much more farting around having to do it every fucking day.

It's a tiny bit of "farting around" actually.

>>> Fuck all in fact.
>
>> Sorry, but you're simply wrong.
>
> Nope, you are. And you are lying about being sorry.

You're wrong about that two.

I'm sorry (I'm not apologizing; those words have a different meaning—or
didn't you know?) that you're a bitter old man yelling at clouds.

Alan Baker

Mar 10, 2021, 12:02:16 PM3/10/21
And back around the circle we go!

I literally just presented the evidence.

Alan Baker

Mar 10, 2021, 12:03:18 PM3/10/21
Well... ...you'll give yourself an aneurysm fighting against the tide,
so you'll never see it.

The Real Bev

Mar 10, 2021, 12:11:26 PM3/10/21
On 03/09/2021 07:15 AM, sms wrote:
> On 3/8/2021 8:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> People's needs differ. If we can't say "Hey, let's go visit Sandy in
>> Houston for a couple of days tomorrow..." and actually do it, we've lost
>> something. Or Sequoia NP as a day trip from Los Angeles. Or going
>> skiing in Brian Head TOMORROW.
>
> Surprisingly, there are a lot of Teslas with California license plates
> parked at ski areas in Nevada. Never thought I'd see that, but the the
> proliferation of super-chargers it's not all that difficult to take
> longer trips if you plan accordingly.

Plan? "Let's drive to DC. Make it up as we go along..." We used to do
that. The only constraint was the need to be in DC on <date/dime> for a
meeting. Over the years we hit every contiguous state and got halfway
to Alaska.

>> Some people live in apartment houses and take the train wherever they
>> want to go. I suppose there are worse lives, but I wouldn't choose any
>> of them.
>
> If you look at car ownership in dense U.S. cities it's clear that even
> that people that live in apartments, and take mass transit to work,
> still own cars.

They've started building apartment houses near Metro stops here that
have severely limited parking (perhaps none, I didn't really check
because the subject makes me a little queasy). The intent is to wipe
out the car in favor of public transportation, bicycles and walking no
matter how few people are actually interested in biking or walking as a
substitute for driving.

I KNOW that money is changing hands here.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke

Alan Baker

Mar 10, 2021, 12:27:58 PM3/10/21
On 2021-03-10 9:11 a.m., The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/09/2021 07:15 AM, sms wrote:
>> On 3/8/2021 8:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> People's needs differ.  If we can't say "Hey, let's go visit Sandy in
>>> Houston for a couple of days tomorrow..." and actually do it, we've lost
>>> something.  Or Sequoia NP as a day trip from Los Angeles.  Or going
>>> skiing in Brian Head TOMORROW.
>>
>> Surprisingly, there are a lot of Teslas with California license plates
>> parked at ski areas in Nevada. Never thought I'd see that, but the the
>> proliferation of super-chargers it's not all that difficult to take
>> longer trips if you plan accordingly.
>
> Plan?  "Let's drive to DC.  Make it up as we go along..."  We used to do
> that.  The only constraint was the need to be in DC on <date/dime> for a
> meeting.  Over the years we hit every contiguous state and got halfway
> to Alaska.

Good for you!

>>> Some people live in apartment houses and take the train wherever they
>>> want to go.  I suppose there are worse lives, but I wouldn't choose any
>>> of them.
>>
>> If you look at car ownership in dense U.S. cities it's clear that even
>> that people that live in apartments, and take mass transit to work,
>> still own cars.
>
> They've started building apartment houses near Metro stops here that
> have severely limited parking (perhaps none, I didn't really check
> because the subject makes me a little queasy).  The intent is to wipe
> out the car in favor of public transportation, bicycles and walking no
> matter how few people are actually interested in biking or walking as a
> substitute for driving.
>
> I KNOW that money is changing hands here.

And yet won't ever explain HOW you supposedly "know"...

...will you?
It is loading more messages.