New KY state highway engineer named

H.B. Elkins

Dec 10, 2004, 1:36:35 PM12/10/04
....and it's my boss, Sam Beverage!

http://transportation.ky.gov/news/12-10-04-2.htm

So when does knowledge of West Virginia highways help a Kentucky Transportation
Cabinet PR guy?

When you're helping your boss compile a list of accomplishments to distribute to
the media, that's when.

Yesterday morning, Sam told me that he'd be taking the job and wanted my help in
compiling a list of talking points for the Cabinet secretary and public affairs
officer to use when making the announcement. After doing that, the instruction
came to compile a list of his accomplishments as a chief district engineer in
Kentucky and as commissioner of highways and secretary of transportation in WV,
in case questions came from the press.

I got to thinking about several WV projects -- King Coal, Coalfields Expressway,
Corridor H, Mon-Fayette -- and we were able to translate them into Kentucky
connections. For instance, King Coal and Coalfields will connect to Kentucky's
I-66; Kentucky has unfinished mileage in the same ARC system of which Corridor H
is a part; Mon-Fayette involved multistate cooperation that will be useful in
dealing with the Louisville and Northern Kentucky bridge projects, and so on.

I also learned that Sam Beverage had been among the final candidates for the top
transportation jobs in Florida and Georgia a few years ago.

And surprisingly, I learned that he had for a short time been a Republican
candidate for governor in West Virginia in their most recent gubernatorial
election. Apparently he withdrew before the primary. S.P., do you know anything
about that?

I hate to be losing my boss, especially since he likes my work, but it's nice to
have a friend in a statewide position. ;-)

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

Scott O. Kuznicki

Dec 10, 2004, 6:48:17 PM12/10/04
> I hate to be losing my boss, especially since he likes my work, but it's
nice to have a friend in a statewide position. ;-)

It sure does help. I hear Kentucky ain't much different from Illinois, so
now you're all set! :-)

--
Scott Kuznicki
Dedicated Highway Enthusiast

Jeff Carlyle

Dec 10, 2004, 8:00:01 PM12/10/04
Scott O. Kuznicki <scottk...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I hate to be losing my boss, especially since he likes my work, but
>> it's
> nice to have a friend in a statewide position. ;-)
>
> It sure does help. I hear Kentucky ain't much different from
> Illinois, so now you're all set! :-)

The problem is that this puts me out of the loop. The outgoing State Highway
Engineer is my next-door neighbor. :-)

--
// Jeffrey Carlyle - jef...@carlyle.org - http://www.jeffc.org/

H.B. Elkins

Dec 10, 2004, 11:06:32 PM12/10/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:00:01 GMT, Jeff Carlyle wrote:

>The problem is that this puts me out of the loop. The outgoing State Highway
>Engineer is my next-door neighbor. :-)

He's staying on as a special adviser to the secretary. So your connections are
still in place. ;-)

H.B. Elkins

Dec 10, 2004, 11:05:56 PM12/10/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:00:01 GMT, Jeff Carlyle wrote:

>The problem is that this puts me out of the loop. The outgoing State Highway
>Engineer is my next-door neighbor. :-)

He's staying on as a special adviser to the secretary. So your connections are
still in place. ;-)

pac...@msn.com

Dec 11, 2004, 8:45:15 AM12/11/04

H.B. Elkins wrote:

> I also learned that Sam Beverage had been among the final candidates
for the top
> transportation jobs in Florida and Georgia a few years ago.
>
> And surprisingly, I learned that he had for a short time been a
Republican
> candidate for governor in West Virginia in their most recent
gubernatorial
> election. Apparently he withdrew before the primary. S.P., do you
know anything
> about that?

The governor, Cecil Underwood, was a RINO and a poor governor. He was
100% about Cecil Underwood and 0% about anything else. A lot of his
cabinet employees were left with a bad taste in their mouths from the
experience and many (I think like 5) filed "pre-candidate" papers.
Which costs nothing and means less than that.

Beverage got no play from the money people and moved on after a few
months.

SP Cook

H.B. Elkins

Dec 11, 2004, 11:59:31 PM12/11/04
On 11 Dec 2004 05:45:15 -0800, pac...@msn.com wrote:

>Beverage got no play from the money people and moved on after a few
>months.

I only got to work with him for about two and a half month, and he was splitting
his time between our office and the Manchester office, so I didn't interact with
him a lot.

I heard several people call him "a man of few words" but that was never the case
when he was around me.

He is kinda quiet and not outgoing or dynamic at all, definitely doesn't have a
guberntorial personality.

H.B. Elkins

Dec 12, 2004, 5:06:34 PM12/12/04

>The problem is that this puts me out of the loop. The outgoing State Highway
>Engineer is my next-door neighbor. :-)

Heard this morning from a friend of mine -- an elected official with statewide
contacts -- that Mac
Yowell is going to be overseeing the Louisville bridges project.

Sir Hailstone - BOFH

Dec 13, 2004, 8:38:19 AM12/13/04
H.B. Elkins wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:00:01 GMT, Jeff Carlyle wrote:
>

>>The problem is that this puts me out of the loop. The outgoing State Highway
>>Engineer is my next-door neighbor. :-)
>

> He's staying on as a special adviser to the secretary. So your connections are
> still in place. ;-)

"Special Adviser to the Secretary" ????

Does that sounds like "Ghost Employment" to you? if not that then at
least "Extreme Patronage" .. It does to me.

Wonder how often he'll actually be in the office ;-)

-=-=-
"Hey Norm, how's the world been treating you?"..."Like a baby treats a
diaper."