Jefferson Highway

dste...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2005, 9:28:16 PM11/30/05
Can anyone help me out with any information about the Jefferson Highway
...?

Magyar

Nov 30, 2005, 11:53:12 PM11/30/05
<dste...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone help me out with any information about the Jefferson Highway
> ...?

Which one?
There's at least 3 in Louisiana alone.

--
Sandor Gulyas
Graduate Student - Louisiana St. University

"Welcome to a Louisiana Cockfight..."
-- (Originally penned by) John Nitzinger

yakra

Dec 1, 2005, 5:20:01 AM12/1/05

Justin Priola

Dec 1, 2005, 9:35:50 AM12/1/05

dste...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone help me out with any information about the Jefferson Highway
> ...?

Some Louisiana specific information......

The Jefferson Highway was an old auto trail that extended from New
Orleans to Winnipeg in the era before US highways. The beginning of
the Jefferson Highway is located at the intersection of St. Charles and
Common Streets in New Orleans where a granite obelisk located on the
east corner marks the southern terminus. The original (pre-1955) LA 1
followed the precise route of the Jefferson Highway through Louisiana
from New Orleans to Texas. That route comprised, in modern terms:

· US 90 from New Orleans to Jefferson, then LA 48 to Norco
· River road, no longer existing, across present Bonnet Carré
Spillway gates to Montz
· LA 628 to Laplace
· LA 44 to Burnside
· LA 942 to Darrow
· LA 75 to Geismar
· LA 73 to Baton Rouge
· Port Allen-Baton Rouge ferry (now defunct)
· LA 76 to Rosedale
· LA 77 to near Melville
· LA 10 to Lebeau
· US 71 to Bunkie
· LA 1177 north of Bunkie
· US 71 to south of Lecompte
· LA 456 and 470 parallel to US 71/167 in Lecompte area
· West Street, local road south of Alexandria
· In Alexandria: Macarthur Blvd., Lee St., Bolton Ave. (part of
present LA 1), Murray St.
· Defunct Red River bridge between Alexandria and Pineville
· In Pineville: Main St. (Business US 165), LA 180
· US 71 to Tioga
· LA 3225 to Timber Trails
· US 71 to Colfax
· In Colfax area: LA 492, LA 8, LA 158
· US 71 to south of Clarence
· LA 1225 to Clarence
· LA 6 to Natchitoches
· In Natchitoches: Business LA 6
· LA 6 to Robeline
· LA 120 to JCT LA 175
· LA 175 to Mansfield
· US 84 in Mansfield
· US 171 to Shreveport
· In Shreveport: Mansfield Road, Greenwood Road
· US 79/80 to Greenwood
· US 80 to TX border

The three roads in La. called "Jefferson Highway" in modern times (in
Jefferson Parish, Baton Rouge area and Pineville) are all remnants of
the original auto trail.

Steve Riner

Dec 1, 2005, 10:27:21 PM12/1/05
There is a portion of the historic route north of Osseo, MN which still
carries this name along a surface street. It was formerly part of U.S.
52 (later U.S. 169), but was bypassed by a new expressway segment of
169.

Steve Riner
Pueblo West CO

Explore Minnesota and New Mexico Highways:
http://www.steve-riner.com/mnhighways/mnhome.htm
http://www.steve-riner.com/nmhighways/nmhome.htm

Message has been deleted

Rappin' Ronnie Raygun

Dec 1, 2005, 10:48:10 PM12/1/05
TV's Justin Priola wrote:
> dste...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Can anyone help me out with any information about the Jefferson Highway
> > ...?
>
> Some Louisiana specific information......
>
> The Jefferson Highway was an old auto trail that extended from New
> Orleans to Winnipeg in the era before US highways. The beginning of
> the Jefferson Highway is located at the intersection of St. Charles and
> Common Streets in New Orleans where a granite obelisk located on the
> east corner marks the southern terminus. The original (pre-1955) LA 1
> followed the precise route of the Jefferson Highway through Louisiana
> from New Orleans to Texas. That route comprised, in modern terms:

I found this:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/reedniland/album2_011.htm

"The Jefferson Highway ran from Winnipeg to New Orleans, at first by way of
Oklahoma and Texas but later on a more direct route through Arkansas."

I have heard of US 71 in Arkansas being referred to as the Jefferson
Highway.

Rappin' Ronnie Raygun

Dec 1, 2005, 11:13:14 PM12/1/05
TV's Steve Riner wrote:
> There is a portion of the historic route north of Osseo, MN which still
> carries this name along a surface street. It was formerly part of U.S.
> 52 (later U.S. 169), but was bypassed by a new expressway segment of
> 169.

Strangely, in DeLorme SA 2003, the northernmost section before merging back
into US 169 is marked "US 218 (Jefferson Hwy N)".

US 71

Dec 2, 2005, 11:27:24 AM12/2/05

"Rappin' Ronnie Raygun" <watNOS...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I found this:
>
> http://showcase.netins.net/web/reedniland/album2_011.htm
>
> "The Jefferson Highway ran from Winnipeg to New Orleans, at first by way
> of Oklahoma and Texas but later on a more direct route through Arkansas."
>
> I have heard of US 71 in Arkansas being referred to as the Jefferson
> Highway.

Not officially, I think. What maps I have show 71 as the Ozark Trail. Wiki
disagrees, though so I need to find my maps ;)

Steve Riner

Dec 2, 2005, 10:18:20 PM12/2/05
Yeah, that was U.S. 218 in 1934 and MN-218 from 1935 until 1960 as an
overlay of U.S. 52. DeLorme, you're right on top of things!

At least it didn't say U.S. 10 (its pre-1934 routing).

Rappin' Ronnie Raygun

Dec 2, 2005, 10:30:24 PM12/2/05
TV's Steve Riner wrote:
> Yeah, that was U.S. 218 in 1934 and MN-218 from 1935 until 1960 as an
> overlay of U.S. 52. DeLorme, you're right on top of things!

How far north did 218 make it?

Speaking of MN US highways, US 65 oughta be extended north to US 71 along MN
65. Also, US 69 needs to be extended to at least I-90. For it to end at a
freaking STATE HIGHWAY is a disgrace. Are there any signs on I-90 that
mention US 69? For the record, 69 does end at a state highway on the other
end, but if it went much further south, it would end at the Gulf.

What other US highways end at state routes at both ends? US 271 ends at a
state highway on one end and a business US highway at the other end, which
is similar.

fro...@mississippi.net

Dec 2, 2005, 11:14:05 PM12/2/05
> Rappin' Ronnie Raygun wrote:
> TV's Steve Riner wrote:
> > Yeah, that was U.S. 218 in 1934 and MN-218 from 1935 until 1960 as an
> > overlay of U.S. 52. DeLorme, you're right on top of things!
>
> How far north did 218 make it?

US 218, as proposed, would have made it to Moorhead. There is nothing
as of yet to confirm that it was ever signed north of Owatonna, though.

MN 218 went as far as Merrifield...north of Brainerd. Ca. 1962,
non-duplexed portions of MN 218 were replaced by MN 3 between Faribault
and St. Paul and MN 25 north of Becker.

> Speaking of MN US highways, US 65 oughta be extended north to US 71 along MN
> 65.

No real purpose for that one...ESPECIALLY north of Mora. North of MN
1, MN 65 is so lightly travelled that part of it was still gravel as
late as spring of 2000. The last gravel segment was finally paved
during the 2000 construction season.

> Also, US 69 needs to be extended to at least I-90. For it to end at a freaking STATE
> HIGHWAY is a disgrace. Are there any signs on I-90 that mention US 69?

Not sure about now, but there used to be.

Froggie | Picayune, MS | http://www.ajroggie.com/roads/

Jay Maynard

Dec 3, 2005, 1:26:19 AM12/3/05
On 2005-12-03, fro...@mississippi.net <fro...@mississippi.net> wrote:
>> Also, US 69 needs to be extended to at least I-90. For it to end at a freaking STATE
>> HIGHWAY is a disgrace. Are there any signs on I-90 that mention US 69?
> Not sure about now, but there used to be.

There is a TO US-69 sign all by itself not far from the exit for MN-13 off
of westbound (but not eastbound, IIRC) I-90. It was added fairly recently,
at least after 2001.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC
http://www.conmicro.cx

Rappin' Ronnie Raygun

Dec 3, 2005, 1:45:04 AM12/3/05
TV's Jay Maynard wrote:
> On 2005-12-03, fro...@mississippi.net <fro...@mississippi.net> wrote:
>>> Also, US 69 needs to be extended to at least I-90. For it to end at a
>>> freaking STATE HIGHWAY is a disgrace. Are there any signs on I-90
>>> that mention US 69?
>> Not sure about now, but there used to be.
>
> There is a TO US-69 sign all by itself not far from the exit for MN-13
> off of westbound (but not eastbound, IIRC) I-90. It was added fairly
> recently, at least after 2001.

Thanks...when I went through Minnesota on I-90, I headed south on I-35
(actually on some county road, as the ramp from 90W to 35S was closed and
there was a detour posted). The only other time I've been to MN I crossed
over on I-90 from SD and turned around at the MN 23 interchange.

fro...@mississippi.net

Dec 3, 2005, 8:32:20 AM12/3/05
> Jay Maynard wrote:
> >> Also, US 69 needs to be extended to at least I-90. For it to end at a freaking STATE
> >> HIGHWAY is a disgrace. Are there any signs on I-90 that mention US 69?
> > Not sure about now, but there used to be.
>
> There is a TO US-69 sign all by itself not far from the exit for MN-13 off
> of westbound (but not eastbound, IIRC) I-90. It was added fairly recently,
> at least after 2001.

Replaced moreso than added.

With grandparents in Hartland and other family in Albert Lea, I got
down there quite a bit as a kid. I know there were US 69 trailblazers
that existed on both offramps (and IIRC the eastbound guide signage)
throughout the 80s and early 90s. Alas, have only made it down there a
couple times in the last 10 years.

Froggie | Picayune, MS | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Steve Riner

Dec 3, 2005, 1:21:04 PM12/3/05
I was wrong about U.S. 218 in my earlier post. In 1934, though, it was
extended north to St. Paul and then became MN-218, routed as an overlay
along U.S. 52 as far west of Becker where it turned north along what is
now MN-25 to Brainerd. The 1934 routing of U.S. 218 is shown on the
official Minnesota highway map for that year. Next year it was cut back
to Owatonna. I was confused by the original plan, never implemented
but printed on early 1934 maps, to extend U.S. 218 from St. Paul to
Fargo via current U.S. 10. I have maps that show this routing.

So, that part of Jefferson Highway originally referenced in this thread
was MN-218 (as well as U.S. 52) from 1934 to 1960.

Jeff Morrison

Dec 4, 2005, 12:59:43 AM12/4/05
That 1934 Minnesota map seems to have a lot of things on it that died
in the year after.

Monte Castleman

Dec 4, 2005, 11:26:10 AM12/4/05
>Speaking of MN US highways, US 65 oughta be extended north to US 71 along MN
>65. Also, US 69 needs to be extended to at least I-90. For it to end at a
>freaking STATE HIGHWAY is a disgrace. Are there any signs on I-90 that
>mention US 69? For the record, 69 does end at a state highway on the other
>end, but if it went much further south, it would end at the Gulf.

Traffic counts on some of the more remote sections of MN 65 are less than
100/day. I doubt that justifies a US highway. I personally don't think it even
justifies a state highway.

The highways in Albert Lea are a confusing mess. What I would like to see is
US 69 extended eastward over MN 13, then replacing US 65 northward to I-35. US
65 could end either at MN 65, or at the present south junction of I-35 if
Mn/DOT wanted to turn back a section. Another idea would be to extend US 69
all the way north to Jordan, but that would displace a historic route number.

--
--^\____
| / Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
| / Bloomington, MN <<to email, remove the "q" from address>>
| |
| *| Visit my Minnesota Highways Page:
|_____\ http://home.earthlink.net/~northstarhighways

Jay Maynard

Dec 4, 2005, 11:35:43 AM12/4/05
On 2005-12-04, Monte Castleman <qmdcas...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Another idea would be to extend US 69 all the way north to Jordan, but
> that would displace a historic route number.

Not to mention that MnDOT seems to want to decommission US highways wherever
it can, so lengthening one would be just the opposite of their normal
methods.

Emi M Briet

Dec 6, 2005, 5:18:10 PM12/6/05
In article <CMEkf.13474$aA2....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Monte Castleman <qmdcas...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The highways in Albert Lea are a confusing mess. What I would like to see is
> US 69 extended eastward over MN 13, then replacing US 65 northward to I-35.
> US
> 65 could end either at MN 65, or at the present south junction of I-35 if
> Mn/DOT wanted to turn back a section. Another idea would be to extend US 69
> all the way north to Jordan, but that would displace a historic route number.

US-65 *did* once meet up with MN-65 in downtown Mpls (I believe the
original routing was Lyndale>Hennepin>Washington (plex with
US-52)>Central where it became MN-65) , AFAIK, even for a bit after the
Mpls section of I-35W was finished (when US-65 then took the routing
that MN-65 took through downtown until MN-65 was truncated). However,
since I-35 and I-35W took much of the old route of US-65, I guess MN
found the freeway multiplex unnecessary (and I think the new MN-65
originally started at the western end of Crosstown Commons, as evidenced
by the "Mile 6" markers on the former MN-65 freeway stub).