[OT][NFL] It's an I-95 Bowl

Kurumi

Jan 24, 2005, 1:25:00 PM1/24/05
As happy as I was to see both the Pats and Eagles* win this weekend, the
I-95 Bowl is not as interesting as some of the other outcomes would have
been.

Pennsylvania Bowl: had Pittsburgh won, reporters could have tramped up
and down US 30, looking for the dividing line between Steelers and
Eagles fan bases, or any classic sports bars that cater to both.

If Pittsburgh and Atlanta had won, we'd be looking at a US 19 bowl.
Would non-roadgeeks have picked up on that? This would have made for a
fun documentary as well: a 10-day trip down US 19 from the Burgh to
Atlanta, stopping by all sorts of towns and historical sites along the
way. At Atlanta, pick up US 23 for a quick trip to Jacksonville in time
for the Super Bowl.

Atlanta and New England: sorry, no highway connection there.

* as a former college radio newscaster, I share with all the liberal
media an irrational favoritism for Mr. McNabb

--
Kurumi http://www.kurumi.com/
3di's, Conn. Roads, maps, interchanges

bk9net

Jan 24, 2005, 2:01:13 PM1/24/05

Comments:
1) It's an I-95 Bowl not only because the teams normally play in
Foxboro and Philadelphia, but because the game will be played in
Jacksonville, also on I-95.

2) It is remotely a US 1 Bowl for the same reasons.

3) Atlanta-New England. Well, you could have called it an I-85/95 Bowl,
but that would have been stretching it. :)
-Bruce K.
Truth, Justice and the Milky Way

ill

Jan 24, 2005, 3:20:26 PM1/24/05
Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles) is close enough to the I-95 that you
can park on the shoulder (highway is elevated) and see directly into the
stadium.

tigersfan25

Jan 24, 2005, 3:47:29 PM1/24/05
Too bad it wasn't Philly and Pitt... could've been the "Turnpike Bowl"

OG Loc

Jan 24, 2005, 3:35:03 PM1/24/05
TV's Kurumi wrote:

Go Eggles!

--

"Shake says that books are from the devil, and that TV is twice as fast" -
Meatwad

Scott M. Kozel

Jan 24, 2005, 6:27:29 PM1/24/05
"tigersfan25" <tigers...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Too bad it wasn't Philly and Pitt... could've been the "Turnpike Bowl"

Pennsylvania Railroad Bowl.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

George Grapman

Jan 24, 2005, 6:22:13 PM1/24/05
Has there ever been a Super Bowl in which a single highway linked both
teams as well as the host city?

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Scott O. Kuznicki

Jan 24, 2005, 6:24:43 PM1/24/05
Kurumi <sa...@xupiter.com> posted:

> As happy as I was to see both the Pats and Eagles* win this weekend, the
> I-95 Bowl is not as interesting as some of the other outcomes would have
> been.

In baseball, Yankees/Mets and Cubs/White Sox games would be a Subway Series
. . . so if the Eagles and the Steelers had gone to head to head, would that
have been a Turnpike Bowl?

Just making sure this is somewhat on topic with transportation-related
analogies ;-)

--
Scott Kuznicki
Dedicated Highway Enthusiast

Jeff Carlyle

Jan 24, 2005, 7:00:02 PM1/24/05
bk9net <bk9...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Comments:
> 1) It's an I-95 Bowl not only because the teams normally play in
> Foxboro and Philadelphia, but because the game will be played in
> Jacksonville, also on I-95.

I'm surprised no one else has pointed out that Foxboro and Philadelphia
aren't actually connected by I-95 thanks to the hole in New Jersey.

--
// Jeffrey Carlyle - jef...@carlyle.org - http://www.jeffc.org/

k_f...@lycos.com

Jan 24, 2005, 7:07:46 PM1/24/05
OG Loc wrote:

> Go Eggles!

I thought it was Iggles.

;~)

Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts

Jan 24, 2005, 7:11:44 PM1/24/05
The Pootriots are starting became like the Farty Whiners used to be.

Stéphane Dumas

Jan 24, 2005, 7:32:39 PM1/24/05

"Scott O. Kuznicki" <scottk...@midwestroads.com> a écrit dans le message
de news: lYednbFb4I1...@comcast.com...

> Kurumi <sa...@xupiter.com> posted:
>> As happy as I was to see both the Pats and Eagles* win this weekend, the
>> I-95 Bowl is not as interesting as some of the other outcomes would have
>> been.
>
> In baseball, Yankees/Mets and Cubs/White Sox games would be a Subway
> Series
> . . . so if the Eagles and the Steelers had gone to head to head, would
> that
> have been a Turnpike Bowl?
>
> Just making sure this is somewhat on topic with transportation-related
> analogies ;-)

in the NBA, someone mentionned the rivalry NYC Knicks-Philly as "Battle of
US-1"

an in hockey, we had "battle of the QEW" between Toronto Maple Leafs and
Buffalo Sabres and "Battle of the 20" between Montreal Canadiens and the
late Quebec Nordiques

And when the NJ Nets (NBA) will move to Brooklyn, does will call the
futures battles as "the Brooklyn Bridge battle"?

I hope the Eagles will beat the "Curse of Billy Penn"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn like the Red Sox did with
the Curse of the Bambino

> --
> Scott Kuznicki
> Dedicated Highway Enthusiast
> Driving Enthusiast, '03 525i 5-speed
> Civil (Traffic) Engineer

Stéphane Dumas

Michael G. Koerner

Jan 24, 2005, 9:09:29 PM1/24/05
"Scott O. Kuznicki" wrote:

> Kurumi <sa...@xupiter.com> posted:
> > As happy as I was to see both the Pats and Eagles* win this weekend, the
> > I-95 Bowl is not as interesting as some of the other outcomes would have
> > been.
>
> In baseball, Yankees/Mets and Cubs/White Sox games would be a Subway Series
> . . . so if the Eagles and the Steelers had gone to head to head, would that
> have been a Turnpike Bowl?

And in Chicago, you don't even have to change CTA trains when travelling
between Wrigley and Comiskey. ;-)

Too bad the NFL doesn't play their championship game in the home stadium
of the higher-seeded team.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Craig Holl

Jan 24, 2005, 9:31:18 PM1/24/05
George Grapman wrote:
> Has there ever been a Super Bowl in which a single highway linked both
> teams as well as the host city?

Super Bowl III

New Jersey Jets defeat Baltimore Colts in Miami, all of which are near I-95.
Whether I-95 actually connected said cities in 1969, I don't know. But I'm
sure the numbers were in each city. Heck, technically I-95 still doesn't
connect these three cities.

--
Craig Holl
Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI

Pete Jenior

Jan 24, 2005, 10:24:13 PM1/24/05

"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message

> Too bad the NFL doesn't play their championship game in the home stadium
> of the higher-seeded team.

Yes, this would be awesome. It would also eliminate a bunch of the hype
that surrounds Super Bowl Week.

They also need to make the season end sooner. Ideally I'd have the playoffs
during the holidays and the Super Bowl maybe a week or so after New Years.
Football in February is just wrong...

-Pete

Magyar

Jan 24, 2005, 11:10:50 PM1/24/05
<k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in message

Time for the spelling lesson. ;-)

E!!!!!A!!!!G!!!!L!!!!E!!!!S!!!! EAGLES!!!!

--
Sandor Gulyas
Graduate Student - Louisiana St. University

"But when them bright lights go down
Big city ain't my town
Oh' I just want to go home"
-- C.C. Adcock (from Done Most Everything)

Magyar

Jan 24, 2005, 11:13:51 PM1/24/05

> Too bad the NFL doesn't play their championship game in the home stadium
> of the higher-seeded team.

So who would be the home team?
The #1 seed from the AFC (Patriots) or the #1 seed from the NFC (Eagles)?

Magyar

Jan 24, 2005, 11:18:20 PM1/24/05
"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message

Blame it on the NFL starting after Labor Day weekend instead of on it and
that bye week they added to the schedules back in the late 80s
Start a week early, cut out a week, and we'd be talking today about the
Eagles being on par with the Patriots as the team of the 00s after the boys
in green won the Super Bowl yesterday. :-)

> -Pete

George Grapman

Jan 24, 2005, 11:20:13 PM1/24/05
Craig Holl wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:
>
>>Has there ever been a Super Bowl in which a single highway linked both
>>teams as well as the host city?
>

> Super Bowl III
>
> New Jersey Jets defeat Baltimore Colts in Miami, all of which are near I-95.
> Whether I-95 actually connected said cities in 1969, I don't know. But I'm
> sure the numbers were in each city. Heck, technically I-95 still doesn't
> connect these three cities.

They were still the New York Jets in Super Bowl 3 but since 95 goes
through NYC that it accepted.

Daniel Westfall

Jan 24, 2005, 11:31:46 PM1/24/05
I would've liked Penna Turnpike Bowl. I would love to see something
similar to NFL and Major League Baseball happen to the NBA. You could
have the I-85 Battle between Charlotte and Atlanta. An I-10 bout
between New Orleans and Houston. Or a Staples Series between the Lakers
and Clippers. Okay, maybe the last one isn't so realistic:-)

Daniel "Dino" Westfall
Belleville, WV
Home of the Ohio River/Creek and the stuck barges

OG Loc

Jan 24, 2005, 11:57:56 PM1/24/05

Around here it would be pronounced "Ayg-les."

Patrick Lee Humphrey

Jan 25, 2005, 12:24:12 AM1/25/05
dinos...@webtv.net (Daniel Westfall) writes:

>I would've liked Penna Turnpike Bowl. I would love to see something
>similar to NFL and Major League Baseball happen to the NBA. You could
>have the I-85 Battle between Charlotte and Atlanta. An I-10 bout
>between New Orleans and Houston. Or a Staples Series between the Lakers
>and Clippers. Okay, maybe the last one isn't so realistic:-)

I-10 between the Texans and Saints? Far better would be the I-45 Showdown
between the Cowgirls and Texans...and if Red McCombs doesn't get his stadium
wishes in the Cities and takes the Vikings home to San Antonio, we've got I-45,
I-10, and I-35 confrontations on a regular basis. ;-)

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
www.chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2004-05 Houston Aeros)

John R Cambron

Jan 25, 2005, 12:31:59 AM1/25/05

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

> "tigersfan25" <tigers...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Too bad it wasn't Philly and Pitt... could've been the "Turnpike Bowl"
>
> Pennsylvania Railroad Bowl.

Big Red Subway Bowl.
Broadway Bowl.

--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

John R Cambron

Jan 25, 2005, 12:37:16 AM1/25/05

"Scott O. Kuznicki" wrote:

> Kurumi <sa...@xupiter.com> posted:
> > As happy as I was to see both the Pats and Eagles* win this weekend, the
> > I-95 Bowl is not as interesting as some of the other outcomes would have
> > been.
>
> In baseball, Yankees/Mets and Cubs/White Sox games would be a Subway Series
> . . . so if the Eagles and the Steelers had gone to head to head, would that
> have been a Turnpike Bowl?

Yes, and could also be called;

Big Red Subway Bowl.
The Broadway Bowl.

OG Loc

Jan 25, 2005, 12:57:56 AM1/25/05

They've always been the New York Jets as far as I know, although they do
play in the Meadowlands (along with the New York Football Giants.)

George Grapman

Jan 25, 2005, 1:55:56 AM1/25/05
Magyar wrote:
> "Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message
>
>>"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Too bad the NFL doesn't play their championship game in the home stadium
>>>of the higher-seeded team.
>>>

>>Yes, this would be awesome. It would also eliminate a bunch of the hype
>>that surrounds Super Bowl Week.
>>
>>They also need to make the season end sooner. Ideally I'd have the
>>playoffs
>>during the holidays and the Super Bowl maybe a week or so after New Years.
>>Football in February is just wrong...
>

> Blame it on the NFL starting after Labor Day weekend instead of on it and
> that bye week they added to the schedules back in the late 80s
> Start a week early, cut out a week, and we'd be talking today about the
> Eagles being on par with the Patriots as the team of the 00s after the boys
> in green won the Super Bowl yesterday. :-)
>

>>-Pete

Part of the late start used to be the result of scheduling conflicts
with baseball teams which, in most cases were the prime tenants. We are
now down to three stadiums with both sports, Oakland,Miami and
Minnesota. 20 years ago the list included SF, San Diego, Anaheim,Cincy,
Philly, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, St.Louis, Seattle.

Eric Opperman

Jan 25, 2005, 4:10:07 AM1/25/05
Pete Jenior wrote:

> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message
>
>>Too bad the NFL doesn't play their championship game in the home stadium
>>of the higher-seeded team.
>>

> Yes, this would be awesome. It would also eliminate a bunch of the hype
> that surrounds Super Bowl Week.

I like the current setup better -- you can't say a 13-3 NFC team is
better than a 12-4 AFC team, for example...this year especially. The
schedules are too different. In a one-shot-only event, I think neutral
site is best.

> They also need to make the season end sooner. Ideally I'd have the playoffs
> during the holidays and the Super Bowl maybe a week or so after New Years.
> Football in February is just wrong...

From what I heard (can't remember the source, but it makes sense),
they're going to back the season up about a month next CBA. Since
February is sweeps month, the TV networks will supposedly pay more for
the rights...they'll have the playoffs all February, with the Super Bowl
at the end.

I don't like it, but whatever.

Magyar

Jan 25, 2005, 3:21:30 PM1/25/05
"Eric Opperman" <eri...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message

> From what I heard (can't remember the source, but it makes sense), they're
> going to back the season up about a month next CBA. Since February is
> sweeps month, the TV networks will supposedly pay more for the
> rights...they'll have the playoffs all February, with the Super Bowl at
> the end.
>
> I don't like it, but whatever.

College Basketball fans won't like that either.....outside of Kentucky

Craig Holl

Jan 25, 2005, 7:39:55 PM1/25/05
OG Loc wrote:
> TV's George Grapman wrote:
>> Craig Holl wrote:

>>> Super Bowl III
>>>
>>> New Jersey Jets defeat Baltimore Colts in Miami, all of which are
>>> near I-95. Whether I-95 actually connected said cities in 1969, I
>>> don't know. But I'm sure the numbers were in each city. Heck,
>>> technically I-95 still doesn't connect these three cities.
>>>
>> They were still the New York Jets in Super Bowl 3 but since 95
>> goes through NYC that it accepted.
>
> They've always been the New York Jets as far as I know, although they
> do play in the Meadowlands (along with the New York Football Giants.)

I know it always has been New York Jets. But it is extremely humorous that
the team (and the Giants) doesn't actually play in New York. Not being in
the city would be OK, since many other teams don't physically play in the
city they are from, but since New York is also the name of the state and
they don't even play in the STATE. It is like if the Minnesota Vikings
played 25 miles east across the river in Wisconsin. They'd still be in
metro Minneapolis, but not in the state.

I considered using the TMQ nomenclature of Jersey/B.

Pete Jenior

Jan 26, 2005, 12:13:50 AM1/26/05

"Eric Opperman" <eri...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message

I would hate that. I've just always thought of football as a fall sport...

Pete Jenior

Jan 26, 2005, 12:16:51 AM1/26/05

"Magyar" <sgu...@lsu.edu> wrote in message

> "Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message
> >
> > "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Too bad the NFL doesn't play their championship game in the home
stadium
> >> of the higher-seeded team.
> >>
> > Yes, this would be awesome. It would also eliminate a bunch of the hype
> > that surrounds Super Bowl Week.
> >
> > They also need to make the season end sooner. Ideally I'd have the
> > playoffs
> > during the holidays and the Super Bowl maybe a week or so after New
Years.
> > Football in February is just wrong...
>
> Blame it on the NFL starting after Labor Day weekend instead of on it and
> that bye week they added to the schedules back in the late 80s
> Start a week early, cut out a week, and we'd be talking today about the
> Eagles being on par with the Patriots as the team of the 00s after the
boys
> in green won the Super Bowl yesterday. :-)

Right. I would actually start the weekend before Labor Day and shorten the
preseason, which is incredibly boring.
-Pete

Pete Jenior

Jan 26, 2005, 12:15:24 AM1/26/05

> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message
>
> > Too bad the NFL doesn't play their championship game in the home stadium
> > of the higher-seeded team.
>
> So who would be the home team?
> The #1 seed from the AFC (Patriots) or the #1 seed from the NFC (Eagles)?

The Pats, since they had a better record.

Eric Opperman

Jan 26, 2005, 12:48:10 AM1/26/05

Of course, I guess it's not really any different than MLB in November or
NHL/NBA in June.

Rock

Jan 26, 2005, 9:26:18 PM1/26/05
The Fort McHenry Tunnel thru Baltimore didn't open until the 1980's on that
section of I-95. Yes, there is still the NJ part.

"Craig Holl" <craigh...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

Craig Holl

Jan 26, 2005, 9:49:39 PM1/26/05
Pete Jenior wrote:
> "Eric Opperman" <eri...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
>> From what I heard (can't remember the source, but it makes sense),
>> they're going to back the season up about a month next CBA. Since
>> February is sweeps month, the TV networks will supposedly pay more
>> for the rights...they'll have the playoffs all February, with the
>> Super Bowl at the end.
>
> I would hate that. I've just always thought of football as a fall
> sport...

I'd like to see this source. That proposal won't go far. Football
traditionalists would scream...

kh...@jersey.net

Jan 27, 2005, 2:52:15 PM1/27/05
Wrong. The Eagles are considered the Home Team in this Super Bowl.
Flips b/t the AFC and NFC each year - this year it's the NFC team.

Allen Seth Dunn

Jan 27, 2005, 5:36:59 PM1/27/05
<kh...@jersey.net> wrote in message

> Wrong. The Eagles are considered the Home Team in this Super Bowl.
> Flips b/t the AFC and NFC each year - this year it's the NFC team.

Well of course. But he was referring to strictly if the NFL was ever to move
the Super Bowl to the home team of one of the contendors. It would likely
first be decided by records, and in which case, the Patriots would be the
home team due to having the better record. Learn to read before opening your
mouth.