Report: SW Mich

Marc Fannin

Dec 24, 2001, 10:23:49 PM12/24/01
Things worked out for me to go to Southwest Michigan from Greater
Mentor, Ohio, this Christmas, so here's the report out here:

-- Route: I-90 WB to US 31 NB (with an accidental detour of Ohio 2 WB
to Baumhart Road SB near Lorain, Ohio -- don't look at me, I wasn't
driving)

-- Many things haven't changed on this route, so check the relevant
trip reports on http://www.roadfan.com/signpics.html (one
newly-restored one isn't there yet:
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=b64e891a7d6e25fe )

-- I think I'm gonna write to the Ohio Turnpike Commission and ask
just when they're gonna remove the exit tabs with the old numbers from
beside the ones with the new ones (examples in the Exit Number
Conversion section on http://www.roadfan.com/ohtpkph.html ). They've
been like that for about five years now. Every other sign seems to
have been converted for a while. Maybe i shouldn't say anything,
though, since even recently I've seen references to the old numbers
only.

-- The new Indiana Toll Road tickets
( http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=916lqh%24i8j%241%40nnrp1.deja.com
) are nearly square, with exit info at the top and a bar code at the
bottom. Photo may be forthcoming if it came out. (Other photos may
come soon as well.)

-- Indiana Toll Road exit tabs are now right-aligned for right exits.
This is recent.

So far not much more; I couldn't see US 31 freeway progress since it
was dark, but since I'll be going back to Ohio tomorrow afternoon
(Christmas day), I'll be able to check it out then and report it later
(the report will be a reply to this or another post in this thread).

Very near to I-196/US 31,
Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Michael G. Koerner

Dec 25, 2001, 12:51:17 AM12/25/01
Marc Fannin wrote:

> Things worked out for me to go to Southwest Michigan from Greater
> Mentor, Ohio, this Christmas, so here's the report out here:

> -- The new Indiana Toll Road tickets

> ( http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=916lqh%24i8j%241%40nnrp1.deja.com
> ) are nearly square, with exit info at the top and a bar code at the
> bottom. Photo may be forthcoming if it came out. (Other photos may
> come soon as well.)

I was kindof wierded when I drove the Toll Road this past May during my
big 2001 roadtrip and a tolltaker handed one of them to me, NYSThruway-style.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Marc Fannin

Dec 26, 2001, 8:24:57 PM12/26/01
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote...

> I was kindof wierded when I drove the Toll Road this past May during my
> big 2001 roadtrip and a tolltaker handed one of them to me, NYSThruway-style.

Sometimes attendants hand them out, sometimes they are machine-distributed.

Marc Fannin

Dec 26, 2001, 8:55:38 PM12/26/01
musx...@kent.edu (Marc Fannin) wrote...

> Things worked out for me to go to Southwest Michigan from Greater
> Mentor, Ohio, this Christmas

(I was visiting relatives where I lived until I was 16)

> so here's the report out here:

[snip except:]

> -- Indiana Toll Road exit tabs are now right-aligned for right exits.
> This is recent.

Eastbound they are still generally centered, so it must be really
recent, as in they're still working on it.

> So far not much more; I couldn't see US 31 freeway progress since it
> was dark, but since I'll be going back to Ohio tomorrow afternoon
> (Christmas day), I'll be able to check it out then and report it later

Lots of US 31 progress! The soon-to-be temporary terminal interchange
at Napier Avenue (see http://www.mdot.state.mi.us/projects/us31toi94/
) is completely graded, and the roadway continues graded to the north
as far as I could see, even though they're still not sure whether
it'll meet I-94 at Exit 33 (BL-94) or Exit 34 (I-196). Future
short-term US 31 (Napier Avenue westward to I-94) is completely
widened halfway to the new interchange from I-94, and the right-of-way
is there the rest of the way (couldn't tell if it was paved or not yet
because of snow cover).

In other local roadgeek things, part of old US 12 (Red Arrow Highway)
just east of Benton Harbor has been removed as part of the Southwest
Michigan Regional Airport right-of-way expansion. Couldn't tell if
any pavement remained (snow cover again).

Route back: US 31 SB and former US 31 SB ("Old 31" and Niles,
Michigan's Business US 31) then a side trip to Buchanan, MI, then US
31 SB to I-90 EB

-- The "OLD [31]" signs in Berrien Springs (home of Ali) are on bith
directions of Old 31 (see
http://www.roadfan.com/michrdph.html#berrsprs ).

-- The first intersection on US 12 west of US 31 has new Michigan
Lefts (see
http://members.aol.com/MichiganHwys/MichiganLeft/ ), and has a cool
diagrammatic sign to go with them (no photo, was dark by then, but I
usually go that way every time I go back there, so next time).

-- Mystery short poles on part of the Indiana Toll Road. Milemarkers
always had them nearby in that stretch.

-- More on the removal of the north part of US 27: The I-69 shield has
been centered on the exit sign right at the exit on the Toll Road EB
(the rest still look like this: http://www.roadfan.com/intr04.gif
from
http://www.roadfan.com/intrph.html ).

-- Third lane on the Ohio Turnpike is continuous from 1/2-mile east of
I-280/Ohio 420 past the I-80/90 split. The rural 7-lane section near
Berlin Heights/Ohio 61 (4 lanes + climbing lane EB + 2 new lanes on
the inside) still amazes me.

Photos will appear on the respective pages of roadfan.com soon, once I
start figuring out the scanner I'll use (no, it wasn't a gift to me,
it's public, I just haven't needed to use it yet).