Notes NE OH to SW MI, 12/18-19/04

Marc Fannin

Dec 20, 2004, 7:39:40 PM12/20/04
Route out, 12/18 (or "A serving of Grape Jam"):
I-90 W from Ohio SR-615 (Exit 195) (part with I-80) to IN SR-331 N to
IN SR-23 S to Cleveland Rd. W (part with Bus. US-31 N) to US-31 N to
Sodus Parkway/Pipestone Rd. (MI Exit 22, 2 miles short of the current
end of freeway)

Route back, 12/19 (or "Dodging the lake-effect"):
US-31 S to I-90 E (part with I-80)

12/18:

- Saw the 4 VMSs (or, as ODOT district 12 calls them, "CMSs") along
I-90 westward from I-71/I-490 which are identified on the site
http://i90cleveland.com/ (you can read their messages there).

- Saw the new (opened three weeks) SR-58/Ohio Turnpike interchange
(Exit 140 just west of the I-80/I-90 split). Diagram and articles
available at
http://www.roadfan.com/ohtpk.html#sr58

- Turnpike service plazas being reconstructed east of I-280
(Wyandot/Blue Heron) will have buildings with a different design than
the other recently-renovated areas (that design may be seen on
http://www.ohioturnpike.org/services.html )

- At Indiana Toll Road Exit 83 ("Mishawaka" on the Toll Road signs, but
actually relocated SR-331) traffic is still directed to Mishawaka as it
always has been by going north on the last few hundred yards of SR-331,
west on SR-23 SB, then south on nearby Fir Road. Now that the north
segment of relocated SR-331 is now open south to McKinley Highway (old
US-20) (for article link and construcion progression:
http://www.roadfan.com/sbnelkrd.html#331 ) it might be better to
direct traffic that way.

- While at University Park Mall (Toll Road/I-80/90 at the SR-23
overpass and Grape Road underpass, the latter spawning the name "the
Grape Road Monster" for the surrounding shopping area in northern
Mishawaka near South Bend), a traffic copter flew over. Later that
night on the news, footage was run with the caption "Grape Jam"....

- Some newly-replaced Bus. US-31 shields along Cleveland Road outside
South Bend read "[BUSINESS][NORTH]{31}", not "[NORTH][BUSINESS]{31}"

12/19:

- Lake-effect snow was happening all around, but as luck had it, the
only snow encountered was on the west side of Cleveland. The
lake-effect either was hitting in the secondary snow belts, or it had
already fallen and had cleared up. (During listening for weather
reports, the story about the I-80 pile-up just into PA from Ohio was
broadcast). Starting in one primary belt and ending in another, this
is saying something. For those who wish to know, a lake-effet snow
primer: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/buf/lakeffect/indexlk.html

- New signage for Bus. US-31 (South Bend) from US-31 SB acknowledging
the Bus. 31 route on the BGS (formerly the BGS just had the street
names and Bus. 31 was identified on stand-alone markers between the
BGS). This includes a new 1-mile sign not there before. (For those
who don't know, INDOT doesn't maintain business routes so this is
fairly notable.)

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/
[Also posted at Yahoo! Groups GreatLakesRoads]