1 Highway, 4 directions

US 71

Oct 26, 2008, 9:36:30 PM10/26/08
Well, not QUITE 1 highway. It's AR 60 near Rudy. At Rudy, it runs (and is
posted) north-south. 5 miles south of Rudy, it runs mostly east-west (and is
posted as such).

Any other examples?

necromancer

Oct 26, 2008, 10:03:02 PM10/26/08

I don't have photos of it, but I believe that US52 runs N-S in some
areas and E-W in others. The intro picture on my website shows it
signed as N-S and the carriageways physically run E-W...

--
"This item demonstrates how stupid the average American is. Every
ninety minutes someone in this country is hit by a train. A train,

H.B. Elkins

Oct 26, 2008, 10:03:12 PM10/26/08

You probably should have exempted circumferential bypasses, or else everyone
will be chipping in with "examples" like I-270 Ohio, I-265 Kentucky, I-275
Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana, I-285 Atlanta, etc.

OH 104 does the directional change thingy, which I just discovered last weekend
in Columbus. It changes from N-S to E-W where it transitions from Jackson Pike
to Frank Road.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

Rich Piehl

Oct 26, 2008, 10:20:03 PM10/26/08

My favorite is western I-76. Nebraska labels it north-south, Colorado
labels it east-west.

Another I know of is US 83 in southern TX. North of Roma it's signed as
north-south. South of Roma it turns more east-west and is signed that way.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
Pat Paulsen (1927-1997) for President - 2008

Even though he's dead it makes about much sense
to vote for him as it does for the choices
that we have who are living. At least he's not
going change his position on anything.

H.B. Elkins

Oct 26, 2008, 11:06:05 PM10/26/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:20:03 -0500, Rich Piehl wrote:

>My favorite is western I-76. Nebraska labels it north-south, Colorado
>labels it east-west.

Oh, there all kinds of interstate (small I) examples.

US 42: E-W in KY, N-S in OH
US 68: E-W in KY, N-S in OH
US 35: N-S in WV and IN, E-W in OH
US 250: E-W in VA, N-S in WV
US 52: E-W in OH and IN, N-S in WV, VA, NC and SC (also in one of the
midwestern/great plains states too, I think)

brink

Oct 27, 2008, 1:01:26 AM10/27/08

"US 71" <us...@cox.net> wrote in message

CA-91 is signed as E/W at most interchanges/ramps/signs, but a few entrances
in Riverside are marked as N/S.

ISTR that US 60 as it conjoins with I-25 in New Mexico is explicitly signed
as US 60 N/S on at least one BGS on that stretch. That may very well be its
only N/S signage over its 2700 miles.

I'll omit all the 3di loop interstates that are signed all four directions
since there are a lot and I don't think that's what you're looking for...

brink

Premier Bush

Oct 27, 2008, 3:32:51 AM10/27/08

AR 89 changes from E-W to N-S west of Cabot near the Pulaski/Lonoke county
line.

Cameron Kaiser

Oct 27, 2008, 8:55:09 AM10/27/08
"US 71" <us...@cox.net> writes:

ME 3 in Bar Harbor sort of does this since it's basically a huge closed loop
on its eastern end, so MDOT cheated and signed it with ROUTE banners so they
don't have to figure it out. (Not a direction, just ROUTE.) I thought I had
some pictures of this, but they're too blurry. The Yak might.

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/

Someone

Oct 27, 2008, 5:45:46 PM10/27/08
In article <CT8Nk.47217$Zc.1...@newsfe09.iad>, "US 71" <us...@cox.net>
wrote:

US-24 is North-South between Toledo, OH and Clarkston, MI and East-West
elsewhere. It is signed North-South between Toledo and Clarkston.

I-69 is North-South between Indianpolis, IN and Lansing, MI and
East-West between Lansing, MI and Port Huron, MI. It is also signed
East-West between Lansing and Port Huron.

M-5 is East-West between Detroit, MI and Novi, MI. It is North-South
between Novi and Commerce Twp, MI.

Darkangel de la Louisiane

Oct 27, 2008, 10:55:47 PM10/27/08

Just the ones within walking distance:

LA 433: Signed north/south on its western end, signed east/west inside
Slidell, then signed north/south between I-10 and US 90.
LA 16: Signed east/west along its east end. It shifts to north/south
most notably in Denham Springs (and is signed as such), then completes
its "crescent" routing south of there, complete with being signed
east/west again, but with the opposite travel lanes signed such. In
fact, if you start at either end, you cannot start off on LA 16 East
(strictly by signage).

As for a US highway, US 6, signed north/south in CA, east/west
everyplace else... /and/ on the sign in CA noting the mileage to
Provincetown, MA, US 6 is denoted as "East". Go figure.

Mapmikey

Oct 28, 2008, 6:28:21 AM10/28/08
On Oct 27, 1:01 am, "brink" <brinknos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "US 71" <u...@cox.net> wrote in message

> > Well, not QUITE 1 highway. It's AR 60 near Rudy. At Rudy, it runs (and is
> > posted) north-south. 5 miles south of Rudy, it runs mostly east-west (and
> > is posted as such).
>
> > Any other examples?
>
> CA-91 is signed as E/W at most interchanges/ramps/signs, but a few entrances
> in Riverside are marked as N/S.
>
> ISTR that US 60 as it conjoins with I-25 in New Mexico is explicitly signed
> as US 60 N/S on at least one BGS on that stretch.  That may very well be its
> only N/S signage over its 2700 miles.

There is a US 60 N-S sign assembly in Virginia Beach at the north end
of old US 60 Business. A picture is at the bottom of this page
http://www.geocities.com/mapguy_annex/HwyEnds/Tidewater/index.htm

Other examples:
US 1 in Ct still had a few E-W postings in 2006
NC 41 changes its directional banners at Lumberton
US 52 in the past was signed E-W and N-S in South Carolina with no
particular rhyme or reason.

Mapmikey

Steve A.

Oct 28, 2008, 7:44:10 AM10/28/08

US 421 in Elizabeth, TN switches from north-south to south-north at
one intersection. That's even more confusing than four directions.

wdon...@uakron.edu

Oct 28, 2008, 9:40:53 AM10/28/08
OH 39 is N-S one time when it meets US 30 in Ohio, and E-W when it
meets US 30 again. Probably it would have been N-west/S-east if that
labeling had stuck.

Is I-69 still N-S from Indy to Lansing and E-W from Lansing to the
border crossing?

Yakra

Oct 28, 2008, 11:46:14 AM10/28/08
On Oct 27, 7:55 am, Cameron Kaiser <ckai...@floodgap.com> wrote:

> "US 71" <u...@cox.net> writes:
> >Well, not QUITE 1 highway. It's AR 60 near Rudy. At Rudy, it runs (and is
> >posted) north-south. 5 miles south of Rudy, it runs mostly east-west (and is
> >posted as such).
> >Any other examples?
>
> ME 3 in Bar Harbor sort of does this since it's basically a huge closed loop
> on its eastern end, so MDOT cheated and signed it with ROUTE banners so they
> don't have to figure it out. (Not a direction, just ROUTE.) I thought I had
> some pictures of this, but they're too blurry. The Yak might.

Negative. Haven't been to Mt Desert Island in almost 10 years.
Another one in the neighborhood: US-1A heads north along the Penobscot
river from Stockton Springs to Bangor, then turns southeast to
reconnect to US-1 at Ellsworth. I think in Bangor there are a few east/
west signs, but mostly, between Bangor & Ellsworth, there are no
banners at all. NO directional plates; not even ROUTE. Just a {1A}
shield.

Mapmikey

Oct 28, 2008, 11:57:02 AM10/28/08
On Oct 27, 1:01 am, "brink" <brinknos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "US 71" <u...@cox.net> wrote in message

US 60 also has a N-S posting in Virginia Beach at the north end of old
US 60 Business
A picture is at the bottom of: http://www.geocities.com/mapguy_annex/HwyEnds/Tidewater/index.htm

Mapmikey

Marc Fannin

Oct 28, 2008, 5:21:50 PM10/28/08
US 71 wrote:

From the FAQ:

"12.16

Q: Which routes have direction indication changes?

A: The following Interstate and US routes are signposted with
directional plaques consistent with their parity (even-numbered routes
signed E-W and odd ones signed N-S) in some places and not consistent
(evens signed N-S and odds signed E-W) in other places, the exceptions
listed, or for 3-digit routes, simply have different sets of
directions in different places:

I-69 (E-W east of I-96)
I-76 (N-S NE)
I-196 (E-W east of US 31)
US-1 (E-W various CT)
US-202 (N-S DE/PA/NJ, E-W NY, N-S CT/MA, E-W NH/ME)
US-4 (N-S NY)
US-9 (E-W DE)
US-321 (see below)
US-24 (N-S north of Maumee, OH)
US-33 (E-W OH/WV/VA)
US-35 (E-W OH)
US-340 (N-S WV/VA, E-W MD)
US-41 (E-W in Miami/Dade County)
US-42 (N-S parts of OH)
US-250 (N-S OH/WV, E-W VA)
US-52 (N-S MN/IA/WV/VA/NC/SC)
US-62 (N-S PA/NY) (see also 12.16.1 )
US-68 (N-S OH)
US-275 (N-S IA/MO, E-W NE)
US-276 (N-S NC, E-W SC)
US-281 (E-W S TX)
US-83 (E-W part of TX)
US-84 (N-S north of US-60)
US-87 (E-W NM)
US-491 (N-S NM/CO, E-W UT - formerly US 666 - see 7.4.1.1)
US-98 (N-S peninsular FL except FDOT District 4)
US-101 (see below)

US-321 is a special case in that it is always signposted N-S, yet each
direction switches to the opposite one in Elizabethton, TN.
http://www.millenniumhwy.net/interestingsigns/tn/US321-Tennessee/
US-101 does something similar in northwest WA, with interim E-W
signage (N-S along the Pacific Ocean, then E-W along the north side of
the Olympic Peninsula, then S-N to its end in Olympia).
http://www.phenry.org/wsh/us101.html US-6 in CA was posted N-S until
around mid-2004 when it appeared to be in a conversion to E-W. US-57
and US-96, both in TX, are signposted counter to what they should be
(E-W and N-S, respectively).

Many state routes and some Interstate beltways also change signed
direction.
Sep 20, 2007

12.16.1

Q: Which routes have significant portions 180 degrees from their
direction indications?

A: The following have said sections; unless otherwise noted, direction
indications are continuous from the adjacent section(s) which are
signposted more logically (e.g. EAST for the direction of the route
going west in the section in question but east most everywhere else):

I-25, N. NM
I-26, TN/NC
I-64, SE VA (in the opposite-way section in question, direction signs
are not posted and the I-64 shields are amended with Hampton Roads
Beltway signs with "Inner" and "Outer" designations - see
http://www.aaroadtrips.com/hampton_roads.html and
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/HR_Interstates_Freeways.html ; see
also 12.17 )
US-6, E. MA
US-62, W. NY (posted as N-S; see 12.16 )
US-101, NW WA (see 12.16 )
QC-132, E. QC

Other less-important roads have brief sections like this; in these
cases, because the opposite-way section is so short, the direction
indicators are usually consistent with the general alignment of the
route, not the alignment of the short opposite-way section. Sometimes
there are simply no direction indicators within the opposite-way
section. Oct 19, 2006"

http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#a1216

(I've been meaning to ask if US-1 is posted E-W anywhere in Maine.)

Oh, and part of Question 3.9:

"A four-direction multiplex is theoretically possible (some individual
routes can and do briefly run in or close to the opposite direction of
which they are signed, see Question 12.16.1 ) but none has been found
yet by m.t.r contributors."

For fun, see the thread I started on Aug. 6, 2003, called "4
directions at once...sort of".

Marc Fannin|musxf579 @hotmail.com|http://roadfan.com/ (m.t.r FAQ, etc.)

csam...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2008, 5:47:55 PM10/28/08
I think CA 70 does this (east-west from near Paradise to Hallelujah
Junction, and north-south all the way down through Sutter County to
Catlett where it ends at CA 99).

H.B. Elkins

Oct 28, 2008, 9:29:35 PM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 04:44:10 -0700 (PDT), Steve A. wrote:

>US 421 in Elizabeth, TN switches from north-south to south-north at
>one intersection. That's even more confusing than four directions.

That would be US 321 and Elizabethton.

Dale Sanderson has a writeup with photos on his US Ends site, and I have photos
and info at
http://www.millenniumhwy.net/interestingsigns/tn/US321-Tennessee/index.html

Yakra

Oct 28, 2008, 11:00:14 PM10/28/08
On Oct 28, 4:21 pm, Marc Fannin <musxf...@kent.edu> wrote:
> (I've been meaning to ask if US-1 is posted E-W anywhere in Maine.)

US-1 proper, no. Just a few spare 1A signs in Bangor... but that
section (Bangor - Ellsworth) mostly just has the directional banners
left off.

And for the opposite-way section, how about US-1 between Madawaska &
Frenchville?

Cameron Kaiser

Oct 29, 2008, 9:10:02 AM10/29/08
Yakra <ericd...@yahoo.com> writes:

>>ME 3 in Bar Harbor sort of does this since it's basically a huge closed loop
>>on its eastern end, so MDOT cheated and signed it with ROUTE banners so they
>>don't have to figure it out. (Not a direction, just ROUTE.) I thought I had
>> some pictures of this, but they're too blurry. The Yak might.

>Negative. Haven't been to Mt Desert Island in almost 10 years.
>Another one in the neighborhood: US-1A heads north along the Penobscot
>river from Stockton Springs to Bangor, then turns southeast to
>reconnect to US-1 at Ellsworth. I think in Bangor there are a few east/
>west signs, but mostly, between Bangor & Ellsworth, there are no
>banners at all. NO directional plates; not even ROUTE. Just a {1A}
>shield.

Not Bangor proper, but there is at least one E/W banner I know of in
Hampden.

Yakra

Oct 29, 2008, 11:39:13 AM10/29/08
On Oct 29, 8:10 am, Cameron Kaiser <ckai...@floodgap.com> wrote:
> Not Bangor proper, but there is at least one E/W banner I know of in
> Hampden.

Now that's just screwy. It's still N/S there.

Marc Fannin

Oct 29, 2008, 5:24:11 PM10/29/08
Yakra wrote:

> And for the opposite-way section, how about US-1 between Madawaska &
> Frenchville?

"Which routes have significant portions 180 degrees from their
direction indications?"

Note the fourth word :) The examples are all of highways that do
this for at least 10-15 miles, or IOW ones where the instances are
reasonably spottable on small-scale maps (US-62 and I-64 appaer to be
the shortest, but they're also in more populated areas than the rest
of the list). IMO 2-3 miles doesn't make it. Short stretches like
this are actually fairly common - think for example of a N-S route
along an E-W one going E-W and having a portion running N-S between S-
curves the opposite direction of the piggybacked N-S route.

Yakra

Oct 29, 2008, 8:17:50 PM10/29/08
On Oct 29, 5:24 pm, Marc Fannin <musxf...@kent.edu> wrote:
> Note the fourth word :) The examples are all of highways that do
> this for at least 10-15 miles, or IOW ones where the instances are
> reasonably spottable on small-scale maps (US-62 and I-64 appaer to be
> the shortest, but they're also in more populated areas than the rest
> of the list). IMO 2-3 miles doesn't make it. Short stretches like
> this are actually fairly common - think for example of a N-S route
> along an E-W one going E-W and having a portion running N-S between S-
> curves the opposite direction of the piggybacked N-S route.

Oh, come on! Not significant? =) We have about 7 mi to Frenchville -
or if we go to the bridge in Fort Kent (even though it doestrack
slightly north again in the middle then south again) I get about 19
mi.
It's interesting to note that as I look this up in Google Maps, all
the distances are reported in km, even though this is entirely in the
US. Ah well, they all speak French up there anyway. =D
And if the slight northward section in the middle of the 2 southward
ones disqualifies this segment... eh! Rules is rules.

Andwick Watson

Oct 19, 2020, 8:27:35 PM10/19/20

Andwick Watson

Oct 19, 2020, 8:40:08 PM10/19/20