Reversible Lanes: where do they still exist?

Trent

Mar 25, 2003, 12:44:01 PM3/25/03
The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
decades, but they are not completely gone. The MUTCD still provides a
section about signing such situations.

GA still has two reversible lane areas that I know of. The second
mentioned here is notorious for horrendous traffic. They are:

1) US 41/Northside Drive in Buckhead between south of West Paces Ferry
Road and I-75 to the south. This is a three lane with the middle lane
reversible.

2) US 78 through Downtown Snellville east of the Stone Mountain
Freeway. This road features twin reversibles instead of a single
lane.

An old one that once existed was a famous deathtrap: GA 5/Canton
Highway in Northern Cobb County. This was a three lane road with
center reversible that was removed when I-575 opened in 1985. From
what I hear, there used to be bumper stickers that read "Pray for me,
I drive Highway 5".

I always loved to drive the reversible lanes. They are quite
fascinating with their lit X's and arrows and strange signage and
markings (GA used to have an overhead white on red rectangular sign
that just read "NO"). Since it is not something you normally see
anymore, they are almost worthy of photos and maybe I should get some.
Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

Pete Rose Was Cool

Mar 25, 2003, 12:59:56 PM3/25/03
On 25 Mar 2003 09:44:01 -0800, tleg...@hotmail.com (Trent) said:

>The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
>decades, but they are not completely gone.

Wow! A thread about roads!

I believe the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge at Cincinnati has a middle lane
like this. I think Columbia Parkway also had one, but I hardly ever go
up there anymore.

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative!
------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

Jeff Kitsko

Mar 25, 2003, 1:18:56 PM3/25/03
"Trent" <tleg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

Pittsburgh has them on General Robinson Street, 6th Street, 6th Street
/Roberto Clemente Bridge, Liberty Bridge, and not to mention the I-279 and
I-579 reversible HOV lanes.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

John David Galt

Mar 25, 2003, 1:43:57 PM3/25/03
Trent wrote:
> Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

Maybe we should make a list and put it in the FAQ. I doubt if there are more
than a hundred in America, or much more than that in the world.

Northern California has them in four places. The Golden Gate Bridge and the
Caldecott Tunnel are the only freeways that have them (two lanes each);
Lafayette St. in Santa Clara has a reversible center lane; and the park area
in the Marin Headlands (built as an army base I forget the name of) has a
reversible one-lane tunnel under US 101, controlled by a signal on a very
long cycle. (There used to be a fifth -- the main entrance road to Mare
Island navy shipyard in Vallejo -- but it stopped being reversible when the
base closed.)

John

Scott O. Kuznicki

Mar 25, 2003, 1:53:14 PM3/25/03
Trent <tleg...@hotmail.com> posted:

> The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
> decades, but they are not completely gone. The MUTCD still provides a
> section about signing such situations.

Fall Creek Parkway in Indianapolis: Five lanes with the middle reversible

If I'm not mistaken, Minneapolis, MN has some reversible lanes on downtown
streets that are used primarily during sporting events at the Metrodome.
I've never been there during rush hour, so maybe they're used then, too. As
far as freeways go, there's the I-394 reversibles.

Other than the Kennedy Expressway, Chicago has no major segments of arterial
or freeway reversible lanes. There is a reversible intersection area at the
end of Lake Shore Drive at Hollywood Av/5700N. I'm not completely sure of
the various configurations, but I know that one NB lane becomes a SB lane in
the morning to allow an additional left-turn lane to clear on SB Sheridan Rd
and more efficiently process "through" traffic. They have changeable
regulatory signs overhead (turn only arrows become combination turn-through
arrows or something like that), but I don't think there's any kind of red
x's or other more conventional reversible-lane appurtanences.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2229&y=23241&z=16&w=2

--
Scott Kuznicki
Dedicated Highway Enthusiast

Allen Seth Dunn

Mar 25, 2003, 1:58:44 PM3/25/03

They exist in many places in the DC/Baltimore Area. Chain Bridge, connecting
VA 123 in Arlington to Northwest Washington, DC is the worst being that it is
adjusted for commuter traffic, yet has the strangest, most confusing schedule
for when the center lane is to be used by what direction of traffic. Also,
there are the Shirley Highway: I-95/395 reversible HOV Lanes in the center of
the road in Northern Virginia. In Maryland, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge just
east of Annapolis has reversible lanes since it has two spans, with the main
westbound span being 3 lanes and the main Eastbound span being 2 lanes and
often times the middle lane (of all 5 lanes on the two bridge spans) is used
for Eastbound traffic when it's expected to be heavy (not a fun experience
seeing as I've done that myself). Also, the two sets of Baltimore Harbor
Tunnels have all lanes reversible. The Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) has four
2-lane sections and can be moved as needed. Also, the Habor Tunnel Throughway
(I-895) tunnel has two 2-lane sections which can also be adjusted as needed.
That being the case, those are the only ones I can think of off-hand.

Justin

Mar 25, 2003, 2:30:47 PM3/25/03

<snipped>

> I always loved to drive the reversible lanes. They are quite
> fascinating with their lit X's and arrows and strange signage and
> markings (GA used to have an overhead white on red rectangular sign
> that just read "NO"). Since it is not something you normally see
> anymore, they are almost worthy of photos and maybe I should get some.
> Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

I-90 in Seattle reversible HOV lanes, I-30 in Dallas reversible HOV lanes...
Golden Gate Bridge, Chesapeake Bay Bridge (althought it's been a while for
me...)
Gaston Avenue in Dallas, Ross Avenue here as well...
and I think California is building some on I-15

Justin

George Grapman

Mar 25, 2003, 2:08:55 PM3/25/03
Golden Gate Bridge does it every day.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete "NOSPAM" from address.

Brian D

Mar 25, 2003, 1:49:13 PM3/25/03
Chicago: Kennedy Expy from Ohio Street to the Edens Expy (that's I-90/I-94
from a mile or so north of I-290 to where the two interstates split east of
O'Hare Airport)

St. Louis: I-70, I believe from Broadway (Downtown area) to Grand. They're
still closed, but they're installing a new gate system for them now that the
bridge rehibilitation project on I-70 in STL County and STL City is just
about finished. The reversables were used at points as crossover lanes
during the project.

I typed that... and realized those aren't the reversable lanes you are
talking about.... but.. one case that does fit is Fall Creek Parkway (old
SR-37) northeast of downtown in Indianapolis.

MrSparkle

Mar 25, 2003, 2:58:07 PM3/25/03

"Pete Rose Was Cool" <ban...@todayslastword.org> wrote in message

> On 25 Mar 2003 09:44:01 -0800, tleg...@hotmail.com (Trent) said:
>
> >The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
> >decades, but they are not completely gone.
>
> Wow! A thread about roads!
>
> I believe the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge at Cincinnati has a middle lane
> like this. I think Columbia Parkway also had one, but I hardly ever go
> up there anymore.

Columbia Parkway's has been entirely removed, althought some striping and
overhead lane signals still exist
between Delta and Stanley, they are never used, and its really functions a
paved median

Clay Wade's looks like ther are in use:
http://www.state-ends.com/ohends/us42/us42-s2.jpg
See comment below, they might be turned off

Cincinnati's Queen City Avenue's are slated to be removed when a 4-6 lane
bypass is built to the south of the existing roadway
(which will be returned as a quiet, neighborhood street but too late to help
save the neighborhood). It was stated that these will
be the last ones in the City to be removed

George Grapman

Mar 25, 2003, 3:03:28 PM3/25/03
Lincoln Tunnel.

Froggie

Mar 25, 2003, 3:53:29 PM3/25/03
> If I'm not mistaken, Minneapolis, MN has some reversible lanes on downtown
> streets that are used primarily during sporting events at the Metrodome.
> I've never been there during rush hour, so maybe they're used then, too. As
> far as freeways go, there's the I-394 reversibles.

No reversibles during rush hour in downtown Minneapolis, and if there are any
during Metrodome events, this is the first I've heard of them. AFAIK, the only
reversible lanes in Minnesota are the I-394 Reversible HOV lanes.

In Memphis, Union Ave (US 64/70/72/79) has a stretch of reversible lanes near
downtown and for a ways east of I-240.

Here in Hampton Roads, there's the Reversible lanes on I-64 in Norfolk between
I-564 and I-264. There's also a "reversible gate" setup at two of the gates at
Norfolk Naval base, where all the lanes are open to inbound traffic during the
morning rush hour. Occasionally, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel will have
2-lane, 2-way traffic on one of the carriageways (outside the tunnels) during
maintenance or special events, although this does not happen very often.

Froggie | Virginia Beach, VA | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Eric Maddy

Mar 25, 2003, 4:25:03 PM3/25/03
Los Angeles, 4th Street over the Los Angeles River (just east of downtown
proper) has a center lane which is WB only during morning rush hour, EB only
during afternoon rush hour,and is a 2-way left-turn lane during non-rush
periods.

Not sure if this fits the definition exactly....

Michael Moroney

Mar 25, 2003, 5:02:35 PM3/25/03
The Washington DC area used to have (probably still does) tons of them.
Many DC city streets are one-way certain hours, 2-way other times. (These
are marked with a normal one-way sign, except yellow and black, with the
one-way hours posted. I am trying to remember how the pavement markings
were, I think it was a dashed double yellow line.

Also I-15 in San Diego has a 2 lane reversible HOV lane from the
downtown area to near the Ted Williams Parkway/CA 56.

-Mike

Trent

Mar 25, 2003, 5:40:17 PM3/25/03
The most fascinating reversibles I have ever seen and by far my
favorite:
The Cooper River Bridge in Charleston. That was about 10 years ago I
saw them last, but they may still be there. Think about it, a whole
bridge that reverses direction-the older Cooper River Bridge does
this.

Amos

Mar 25, 2003, 6:10:21 PM3/25/03
Carnegie Avenue in Cleveland, OH has one. I haven't driven that road in
quite a while, so I don't remember the exact configuration, but i do know
that it has one.

George Grapman

Mar 25, 2003, 6:33:07 PM3/25/03
Along with the Golden Gate Bridge the approaches in SF (Doyle Drive)
and Marin County(U.S. 101) reverse.

stéphane dumas

Mar 25, 2003, 6:55:09 PM3/25/03

"Pete Rose Was Cool" <ban...@todayslastword.org> a écrit dans le message
news: 3e8097cd.1305417@localhost...

> On 25 Mar 2003 09:44:01 -0800, tleg...@hotmail.com (Trent) said:
>
> >The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
> >decades, but they are not completely gone.
>
> Wow! A thread about roads!
>
> I believe the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge at Cincinnati has a middle lane
> like this. I think Columbia Parkway also had one, but I hardly ever go
> up there anymore.

there one reversible lane on the Jacques-Cartier Bridge in Montreal and an
other one on the Quebec bridge near Quebec City

> --
>
> I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative!
> ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

Stéphane Dumas

Kevin Lagasse

Mar 25, 2003, 6:55:58 PM3/25/03
tleg...@hotmail.com (Trent) wrote in message news:<4a2530f7.03032...@posting.google.com>...

I-93/US 1/MA 3 has one in South Boston heading towards Braintree and
the South Shore.

You can also include the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York State and the
Ben Franklin Bridge crossing from Philadelphia into Camden, NJ.

Rte66man

Mar 25, 2003, 7:17:34 PM3/25/03

"Trent" <tleg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
> decades, but they are not completely gone. The MUTCD still provides a
> section about signing such situations.
>
> I always loved to drive the reversible lanes. They are quite
> fascinating with their lit X's and arrows and strange signage and
> markings (GA used to have an overhead white on red rectangular sign
> that just read "NO"). Since it is not something you normally see
> anymore, they are almost worthy of photos and maybe I should get some.
> Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

The HOV lanes on the Southwest Freeway (US59), Katy (I-10), and I-45 north
are all reversible. I would guess that almost all of the ones in Houston are
reversible, but will wait for PLH to confirm or deny it ;-)

Rte66man

Jim Mearkle

Mar 25, 2003, 7:19:06 PM3/25/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message news:<3E80A95D...@NOSPAMpacbell.net>...

> Golden Gate Bridge does it every day.

As does the Mid Hudson Bridge

Marc Fannin

Mar 25, 2003, 7:51:43 PM3/25/03
John David Galt <j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote...

> Trent wrote:
>
> > Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?
>
> Maybe we should make a list and put it in the FAQ. I doubt if there are more
> than a hundred in America, or much more than that in the world.

100 items, minimum, in an FAQ question? That wouldn't be excessive?
I feel I'm pushing it with 60 for the interchange name list....

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Mike Roberson

Mar 25, 2003, 7:52:52 PM3/25/03
> > Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

Here are some still active in my vicinity:

1. Canal Rd NW. Washington DC
2. US 50-301 Chesapeake Bay Bridge
3. MD 97 Georgia Ave. Silver Spring
4. I-95/395 HOV lanes, Northern Virginia
5. I-64 HOV lanes Norfolk, VA

and in a related notion...
6. Suicide middle lane, US 1 between NC Line and US 58. 3 lanes, both
dotted yellow lines. I think these may have been common in Virginia
at one time, as the 1944 Official Map shows a picture of US 11 with
the suicide setup.

Two reversible situations that have gone away:
1. McMillan Ave (S-10-44) between US 52/78 Rivers Ave and the
Charleston Naval Base (setup went away in the '70s)
2. The "old" Cooper River Bridge, US 17 SB, was reversed to US 17 NB
to provide additional flow from Charleston to Mt. Pleasant. This
happened during the summer of (I believe) 1994 or 1995. It was an
experimental trial that came and went.

Mike
Virginia Highways Page
www.angelfire.com/va3/mapmikey/index

Oscar Voss

Mar 25, 2003, 7:57:52 PM3/25/03

For more in Virginia, just in Arlington, there's reversible lanes on
Columbia Pike (VA 244) approaching the Pentagon from the east, and also
on one block of Washington Blvd. between Wilson Blvd. and 13th Street.
(Why they don't just widen that stretch from three lanes to four is a
mystery -- on one side of the street is a snazzy new HQ for a local taxi
company, but the other side has an old pet shop building that would not
be missed.) And the Roosevelt Bridge carrying I-66 into D.C. has a
movable barrier so that the bridge's seven lanes can be changed from
four inbound, three outbound for the morning rush, to four outbound,
three inbound for the evening rush.

--
Oscar Voss - ov...@erols.com - Arlington, Virginia

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://users.erols.com/ovoss/

Michael G. Koerner

Mar 25, 2003, 8:10:34 PM3/25/03

The adapted railroad tunnel in the Whittier, AK area has one
'reversable' lane.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Michael G. Koerner

Mar 25, 2003, 8:12:43 PM3/25/03

Ahh, the 'Zipper' lanes. There is one of these on I-H1 east from I-H2
in the Honolulu, HI area, too.

The Plague

Mar 25, 2003, 8:15:23 PM3/25/03

There are a few places in NC. In raleigh Edwards Mill Road by RBC Center
has them. In Charlotte, Tyvola Road which services the charlotte coliseum
has them, The plaza, which is a city street has them in certain areas, and
the median of US 29 from I-485 to a little ways past lowes motor speedway
was turned into reversible lanes for the unbelievable race traffic that they
have there especially for speedweeks in may.

James Dunlop

Mar 25, 2003, 8:26:02 PM3/25/03
>Subject: Re: Reversible Lanes: where do they still exist?
>From: "The Plague" Ragein...@earthlink.net
>Date: 3/25/2003 8:15 PM Eastern Standard Time

The Edwards Mill Road system will probably be removed if/when a large
development gets built across from the ESA.

There's also High Point Road in Greensboro, heading to/from I-40 and the
Greensboro Colliseum.

Pete Jenior

Mar 25, 2003, 8:46:20 PM3/25/03

"MrSparkle" <troymc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> "Pete Rose Was Cool" <ban...@todayslastword.org> wrote in message
> > On 25 Mar 2003 09:44:01 -0800, tleg...@hotmail.com (Trent) said:
> >
> > >The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
> > >decades, but they are not completely gone.
> >
> > Wow! A thread about roads!
> >
> > I believe the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge at Cincinnati has a middle lane
> > like this. I think Columbia Parkway also had one, but I hardly ever go
> > up there anymore.
> >
> Columbia Parkway's has been entirely removed, althought some striping and
> overhead lane signals still exist
> between Delta and Stanley, they are never used, and its really functions a
> paved median

Must have been a long time ago. I've lived here since 1990 and I think they
were gone before then.

There are still some on Beechmont Ave. (OH 125) as it climbs the hill up to
Mt. Washington from the Little Miami River valley. There is currently
construction on that road and i think they are being removed.

-Pete

Pete Jenior

Mar 25, 2003, 8:52:23 PM3/25/03

"Trent" <tleg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
> decades, but they are not completely gone. The MUTCD still provides a
> section about signing such situations.
>
> GA still has two reversible lane areas that I know of. The second
> mentioned here is notorious for horrendous traffic. They are:
>
> 1) US 41/Northside Drive in Buckhead between south of West Paces Ferry
> Road and I-75 to the south. This is a three lane with the middle lane
> reversible.
>
> 2) US 78 through Downtown Snellville east of the Stone Mountain
> Freeway. This road features twin reversibles instead of a single
> lane.

I lived near this road in the 1980s when they were added. The twin setup
works with one of the lanes being an actual lane and the other being a
center turn lane.

Shortly after the lanes were added there were some accidents where people
did not stop for red lights because they were confusing the red of the
stoplight with the red x's for the lanes they were not supposed to use. To
help this problem some sort of blue flash was added to red traffic light
signals.

I read in the Atlanta newspaper last fall the GDOT has plans to get rid of
the reversible lanes on US 78.

It's also kind of sad to me how this area of US 78 has gone downhill and
everyone is simply moving 5-10 miles further out and abandoing one store to
build a new one. Classic out-of-control Georgia development.
--
-Pete Jenior - Cincinnati, Ohio
-Civil Engineering Major

Tim Habeck

Mar 25, 2003, 9:01:13 PM3/25/03
> Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

US 6 through a large portion of Omaha. It starts near downtown and
goes west all the way to an intersection right before Crossroads Mall.

Oscar Voss

Mar 25, 2003, 9:27:42 PM3/25/03
Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> The adapted railroad tunnel in the Whittier, AK area has one
> 'reversable' lane.

Not only is it a one-lane reversible tunnel, but it is shared with rail
traffic. Trains have alloted time slots to go through the tunnel, mixed
in with the slots for westbound and eastbound traffic.

BTW, the tunnel is really cool -- and IMO the only reason you'd ever
want to visit Whittier (other than to catch a ferry across Prince
William Sound), which is an otherwise undistinguished industrial port.

Oscar Voss

Mar 25, 2003, 9:41:09 PM3/25/03
Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> Ahh, the 'Zipper' lanes. There is one of these on I-H1 east from I-H2
> in the Honolulu, HI area, too.

Yes. It's eastbound morning-rush only, and starts about a mile west of
the H-2 junction. Hawaii DOT and Honolulu County are considering
setting up a similar westbound afternoon-rush lane, as part of a Bus
Rapid Transit project. However, the left exit from eastbound H-1 to
H-2, and the left entrance from H-2 to eastbound H-1, complicates a
westbound zipper lane.

BTW, I have lots of photos of the H-1 zipper lanes, on a *draft* new
photos page for Interstate H-1,
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Interstate-H1.htm
(The page itself is nearly final, but a lot of the links won't work
until the rest of the new photo collection is complete. I'm just
mentioning the new draft page, rather than the existing Hawaii Highways
photo page covering H-1, because the new page has many more zipper lane
photos.)

Stanley Cline

Mar 25, 2003, 11:11:05 PM3/25/03
On 25 Mar 2003 09:44:01 -0800, tleg...@hotmail.com (Trent) wrote:

> Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

Barton Avenue in Chattanooga.

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

Bill Grunnah

Mar 26, 2003, 1:55:25 AM3/26/03

"Justin" <jco...@removethisairmail.net> wrote in message

> <snipped>

> > I always loved to drive the reversible lanes. They are quite
> > fascinating with their lit X's and arrows and strange signage and
> > markings (GA used to have an overhead white on red rectangular sign
> > that just read "NO"). Since it is not something you normally see
> > anymore, they are almost worthy of photos and maybe I should get some.
> > Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?
>
> I-90 in Seattle reversible HOV lanes, I-30 in Dallas reversible HOV
lanes...
> Golden Gate Bridge, Chesapeake Bay Bridge (althought it's been a while for
> me...)
> Gaston Avenue in Dallas, Ross Avenue here as well...
> and I think California is building some on I-15
>
> Justin

Gaston and Ross are no longer reversible, though Live Oak still is. In
addition to the zipper on I-30, portions of the HOV lane on I-35E/US-67 are
also reversible using a barricade system.

In Arlington, The Road To Six Flags (yes, that's the name of the road) is
reversible on the west side of the Ballpark.

- B

jmn3

Mar 26, 2003, 5:44:29 AM3/26/03
Peace Bridge from Buffalo to Ft. Erie, Ontario has three lanes and the
middle one gets changed depending on traffic flow.

Ted Gahimer

Mar 26, 2003, 9:24:01 AM3/26/03
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:53:14 GMT, "Scott O. Kuznicki"
<scottk...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Trent <tleg...@hotmail.com> posted:

>> The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
>> decades, but they are not completely gone. The MUTCD still provides a
>> section about signing such situations.
>

>Fall Creek Parkway in Indianapolis: Five lanes with the middle reversible

Is it just the middle lane that's reversible? I seem to remember
there being signals marking all five lanes. I haven't been on it in a
couple of weeks (and I'm usually paying more attention to the traffic,
anyway). There's also Meridian Street in Indianapolis, between
Raymond Street and Pleasant Run Parkway. It's three lanes, with the
middle reversible, and it's controlled by signs(!) that says something
to the effect of (going northbound) Use this lane from 6am to 9am,
M-F, with the reverse on the soutbound side of the signs. I only used
to use it coming home...I never trusted people heading to work in the
morning.

Ted

Trent

Mar 26, 2003, 12:27:58 PM3/26/03
"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message news:<b5r14p$sme$1...@news-int.gatech.edu>...

Snellville is positively the biggest hellhole I have ever seen. I was
there on a Saturday night once and it was bumper-to-bumper just as bad
as a Friday afternoon. It took me about an hour to go two miles.
Nevertheless, I was infatuated with those reversible lanes prior to
the log jam. I hope to get back there to get a picture in addition to
the highway ends shots of GA 264 (the source of the backup on US 78).

Referring to the old shopping centers, I think it is this simple:
people want to shop at something that looks appealing, looks clean and
they believe will have a better selection. The businesses along US 78
are not only hard to get to, but have been around since I was a little
kid. Most of these developments from the '70's and '80's look pretty
dated, dirty and small these days, but it is such a shame they can't
just tear them down when they start getting run down (and start over
if the market's there). I have seen them do this recently when an old
A&P/Big Star was gutted and replaced with a Publix in a shopping
center built in the very early 1990's. More recently, I seem to
notice these blights quite a bit around Atlanta and across the state.
It is very depressing and made worse by the exodus of Kmart, the
Swifty Serve chain, several grocery store chains and at least two
fast-food chains. To everyone from outside of GA, it looks as if we
are certainly past our peak in Atlanta.

Iron Pirate

Mar 26, 2003, 3:26:35 PM3/26/03
On 25 Mar 2003 09:44:01 -0800, tleg...@hotmail.com (Trent) wrote:

>The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several
>decades, but they are not completely gone. The MUTCD still provides a
>section about signing such situations.

>I always loved to drive the reversible lanes. They are quite

>fascinating with their lit X's and arrows and strange signage and
>markings (GA used to have an overhead white on red rectangular sign
>that just read "NO"). Since it is not something you normally see
>anymore, they are almost worthy of photos and maybe I should get some.
> Anyone know of any other places that still have reversible lanes?

Lions Gate Bridge between Vancouver, BC, and North Vancouver (part of
Provincial Highway 99) is a 3-lane with the centre reversible.

George Massey Tunnel between Richmond, BC and Delta, BC (also part of
Highway 99) is a 2-tube tunnel with 2 lanes in each tube. In AM rush
it is 3 Northbound and 1 Southbound, PM rush is the reverse. The
tunnel was built in 1958, and it is a real thrill taking a 102" wide
bus through there when you get a guy in a motorhome hugging the centre
lane going the other way.

Oitt River Bridge (Higway 7) also has reversible lanes, but I cant
remember the setup.

Bruce

MrSparkle

Mar 26, 2003, 5:14:48 PM3/26/03

"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote in message

They are....proposed roadway will be 5 lanes, 2 each way and the centerlane
reserved for left turns

> -Pete

Scott M. Kozel

Mar 26, 2003, 5:28:46 PM3/26/03
Allen Seth Dunn <i_6...@msn.com> wrote:

> They exist in many places in the DC/Baltimore Area. Chain Bridge, connecting
> VA 123 in Arlington to Northwest Washington, DC is the worst being that it is
> adjusted for commuter traffic, yet has the strangest, most confusing schedule
> for when the center lane is to be used by what direction of traffic. Also,
> there are the Shirley Highway: I-95/395 reversible HOV Lanes in the center of
> the road in Northern Virginia. In Maryland, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge just
> east of Annapolis has reversible lanes since it has two spans, with the main
> westbound span being 3 lanes and the main Eastbound span being 2 lanes and
> often times the middle lane (of all 5 lanes on the two bridge spans) is used
> for Eastbound traffic when it's expected to be heavy (not a fun experience
> seeing as I've done that myself). Also, the two sets of Baltimore Harbor
> Tunnels have all lanes reversible. The Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) has four
> 2-lane sections and can be moved as needed. Also, the Habor Tunnel Throughway
> (I-895) tunnel has two 2-lane sections which can also be adjusted as needed.
> That being the case, those are the only ones I can think of off-hand.

The Baltimore Harbor tunnel tubes only reverse lanes during exceptional
situations, though, such as in the case of major maintenance requiring
lane closures, or in the case of accidents that block lanes.

The other facilities named above have reversible lanes that are
regularly reversed for peak period conditions.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Scott M. Kozel

Mar 26, 2003, 5:30:47 PM3/26/03
mrobe...@hotmail.com (Mike Roberson) wrote:

> Here are some still active in my vicinity:
>
> 1. Canal Rd NW. Washington DC
> 2. US 50-301 Chesapeake Bay Bridge
> 3. MD 97 Georgia Ave. Silver Spring
> 4. I-95/395 HOV lanes, Northern Virginia
> 5. I-64 HOV lanes Norfolk, VA
>
> and in a related notion...
> 6. Suicide middle lane, US 1 between NC Line and US 58. 3 lanes, both
> dotted yellow lines. I think these may have been common in Virginia
> at one time, as the 1944 Official Map shows a picture of US 11 with
> the suicide setup.

Last time I was through there, the middle lane was painted off as a
continuous left-turn lane.

William D. Kotchkoski

Mar 26, 2003, 6:08:19 PM3/26/03
The configuration for Carnegie Avenue in Cleveland is all 6 lanes going
westbound during the morning rush hour, and all 6 going eastbound during the
evening rush hour. This configuration affects Carnegie from its eastern
terminus to Prospect Avenue. I forget the exact times.

Cedar (going up Cedar Hill just east of Carnegie) is 4 lanes west / 2 east in
the morning and 2 lanes west / 4 lanes east in the evening.

E. 222 St. in Euclid, OH used to have a reversible center lane, but now it's
just a standard center left-turn lane. I don't know when it was changed, but
it was somewhat recently.

Amos wrote:

> Carnegie Avenue in Cleveland, OH has one. I haven't driven that road in
> quite a while, so I don't remember the exact configuration, but i do know
> that it has one.

> "Trent" <tleg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > The notorious reversible lane has struck fear in motorists for several

> > decades, but they are not completely gone. The MUTCD still provides a
> > section about signing such situations.
> >

> > GA still has two reversible lane areas that I know of. The second
> > mentioned here is notorious for horrendous traffic. They are:
> >
> > 1) US 41/Northside Drive in Buckhead between south of West Paces Ferry
> > Road and I-75 to the south. This is a three lane with the middle lane
> > reversible.
> >
> > 2) US 78 through Downtown Snellville east of the Stone Mountain
> > Freeway. This road features twin reversibles instead of a single
> > lane.
> >

> > An old one that once existed was a famous deathtrap: GA 5/Canton
> > Highway in Northern Cobb County. This was a three lane road with
> > center reversible that was removed when I-575 opened in 1985. From
> > what I hear, there used to be bumper stickers that read "Pray for me,
> > I drive Highway 5".

Compañero Señor Yamamoto de Hollywood

Mar 26, 2003, 8:18:50 PM3/26/03
The Mid-Hudson Bridge(US 44-NY 55) has a reversing center lane, open only
during peak traffic hours(6-9am eastbound; 3-6pm westbound). The
Newburg-Beacon bridge(IH 84) has signals that would allow reverse traffic to
flow on either span, though the crossovers are blocked by guardrailing. The
Tappan Zee Bridge(IH 87/IH 287/Thruway) has a "zipper" barrier.

--
Comrade Mister Yamamoto of Hollywood
http://mr_yamamoto.50megs.com
"Iron Pirate" <IronP...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Eric Lin

Mar 27, 2003, 3:33:48 AM3/27/03
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Justin wrote:

> I-90 in Seattle reversible HOV lanes, I-30 in Dallas reversible HOV lanes...
> Golden Gate Bridge, Chesapeake Bay Bridge (althought it's been a while for
> me...)
> Gaston Avenue in Dallas, Ross Avenue here as well...
> and I think California is building some on I-15

I-5 also has reversible lanes from just south of Seneca Avenue in downtown
Seattle to about a 1/2 mile north of NE 103rd Street in Seattle's
Northgate district.

The number of lanes on the I-5 reversible roadway in Seattle ranges
from one to four lanes. The s/b configuration is quite interesting in
downtown Seattle. At the Mercer Street exit, the reversible roadway has 4
lanes. Only the #2 lane eventually merges into the s/b I-5 mainline. The
#1 lane becomes a HOV-2 lane just south of the Mercer Street exit &
eventually exits to Columbia & Cherry Streets. (This exit is restricted to
HOV traffic only.) The #3 lane exits to Pike Street. (This exit is also
restricted to HOV traffic only.) Finally, the #4 lane becomes a mixed-flow
exit to Stewart Street.

-----------------
Eric Lin
ek...@cs.ucla.edu

John R Cambron

Mar 27, 2003, 10:35:24 AM3/27/03

Let us not forget the short section of MD US-29 in Silver Spring
Maryland between Spring Street and Sligo Creek Parkway. Normal
configuration is 6 lanes, 3 each way. 4 southbound 2 northbound
AM peek, 2 southbound 4 northbound PM peek

Ever wanted one of these John R Cambron
http://205.130.220.18/~cambronj/wmata/ or North Beach MD USA
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wmata/ camb...@chesapeake.net