CA: Old US 99 exposed as Shasta Lake water levels drop

Brent Jonas

Oct 5, 2008, 6:42:03 PM10/5/08
As California's drought continues through its 2nd year (going into
year 3), the receding water levels behind Shasta Dam are revealing
portions of old U.S. 99.

There's a few pics on Redding's local newspaper.

http://www.redding.com/photos/galleries/2008/oct/05/relics-exposed-lake-shasta/

larry_s...@yahoo.com

Oct 6, 2008, 7:10:36 AM10/6/08
> http://www.redding.com/photos/galleries/2008/oct/05/relics-exposed-la...

It would be quite interesting if the same thing were to happen at
Pyramid Lake in northern Los Angeles County. The remains of US-99
were the lake's original boat launch ramp near I-5 Exit 195.

Pyramid Lake is one of the primary water storage reservoirs for the
west branch of the California Aqueduct after the water is pumped over
the Tehacahapi mountains. The west branch goes to Quail Lake, Pyramid
Lake and then Castaic Lake, generally following the route of I-5. The
east branch goes through Palmdale to Silverwood Lake in the San
Bernardino mountains, following the San Andreas fault.

Paul D. DeRocco

Oct 7, 2008, 12:04:57 AM10/7/08
> <larry_s...@yahoo.com> wrote

> It would be quite interesting if the same thing were to happen at
> Pyramid Lake in northern Los Angeles County. The remains of US-99
> were the lake's original boat launch ramp near I-5 Exit 195.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if it's possible to see the entrance
to the lake by pulling over on I-5 SB, or if you have to drive down to the
parking area.

I notice on www.historicaerials.com that the old road had a small bridge
that was still visible in the 1974 imagery--the shots may have been taken
while the reservoir was being initially filled--and that could perhaps be
exposed again.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com