Interchange of the Week - a viaduct with no name

Nathan Perry

Dec 19, 2003, 5:33:56 PM12/19/03
Okay, finally up...now almost two weeks behind schedule! It's that mess
in Willets Point with I-678, the Grand Central Pkwy., and an assortment
of Boulevards. Also a marina, a stadium, a double-decked elevated train,
and other excitements.

Oh, and we should give out prizes to somebody who can devise a name for
the viaduct, let alone the interchange.

http://www.empirestateroads.com/week

Next week: Northern and Meadowbrook Parkways, to go along with the
Southern Parkway feature done many weeks ago. A directional-T with an
attitude.

Pat OConnell

Dec 19, 2003, 9:20:24 PM12/19/03
Nathan Perry wrote:

> Okay, finally up...now almost two weeks behind schedule! It's that mess
> in Willets Point with I-678, the Grand Central Pkwy., and an assortment
> of Boulevards. Also a marina, a stadium, a double-decked elevated train,
> and other excitements.
>
> Oh, and we should give out prizes to somebody who can devise a name for
> the viaduct, let alone the interchange.
>
> http://www.empirestateroads.com/week

ObMarxBros: "Vy a duck? Vy not a goose?"

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]

AKirsc5653

Dec 19, 2003, 11:57:15 PM12/19/03
You can't fool me! There's no Sanity Clause!

How's about the Shea Viaduct? Or the Flushing Meadows Viaduct?

:-) Andrew

Stéphane Dumas

Dec 20, 2003, 8:06:37 AM12/20/03
How about the "Astoria Viaduct" since it's a sort of continuation of Astoria
Boulevard? (I was also tempted to called it even "Astoria Expressway" since
it was a kinda of ranment of the unbuilt expressway)

Stéphane Dumas

"AKirsc5653" <akirs...@cs.com> a écrit dans le message news:
20031219235715...@mb-m06.news.cs.com...

Beanie0911

Dec 20, 2003, 10:44:42 PM12/20/03
I noticed one peculiar thing, and it was lucky for us that it was there....

On the way back from LGA, we decided to take Ditmars down to Northern Blvd.,
then out east to Nassau County (usually a good route). We made a left onto
Astoria south toward Northern instead of taking the ramp on the left that led
to the Whitestone Expwy. We were apart to get onto Northern when we saw it was
choked from exiting Shea traffic, but luckily we had a second chance to take
the Whitestone. Apparently this is because traffic from Astoria and from the
Grand Central northbound mix together to access both Northern east and the
Whitestone expwy... thank god for that extra chance!

~H. Kelly

David J. Greenberger

Dec 21, 2003, 10:44:33 PM12/21/03
Nathan Perry <npe...@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> Oh, and we should give out prizes to somebody who can devise a name for
> the viaduct, let alone the interchange.

Whitestone Expressway.

It was initially built as the south end of the Whitestone Parkway.
(Remember, the Van Wyck did not exist yet.) Like the rest of the
Whitestone Parkway, it was upgraded to expressway standards. So
Whitestone Expressway it is.

As for the interchange (pair of interchanges, actually), I call it the
Shea Stadium Interchange, for lack of a better name.

What do I win?
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY

Nathan Perry

Dec 22, 2003, 2:54:34 AM12/22/03
In article <87isk9s...@greenberger.no-ip.com>,

I don't know. I just devise the idea, I don't implement it. :-)

Long time no see around, by the way.

Douglas Kerr

Dec 22, 2003, 8:06:26 AM12/22/03

"David J. Greenberger" <dav...@email.com> wrote in message

Shea Stadium Interchange works. After all, it is the most prolific
structure in the immediate vicinity of the interchange.

Pete from Boston

Dec 22, 2003, 3:02:55 PM12/22/03
"Douglas Kerr" <dke...@oswego.eduHORMEL> wrote in message news:<m%BFb.4245$Vv2.1...@news1.news.adelphia.net>...

It's prolific? I'm not familiar with its work. What has it produced?

Nathan Perry

Dec 22, 2003, 11:56:51 PM12/22/03
In article <b282e3e6.03122...@posting.google.com>,

mass...@my-deja.com (Pete from Boston) wrote:

> "Douglas Kerr" <dke...@oswego.eduHORMEL> wrote in message

> > Shea Stadium Interchange works. After all, it is the most prolific

> > structure in the immediate vicinity of the interchange.
>
> It's prolific? I'm not familiar with its work. What has it produced?

*grabs a beer and sits back for an amusing evening of witty comebacks*