State Highway Markers and their Shapes

Steve Anderson

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

NFARS wrote:

> Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are the
> reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
>
> Currently...
>
> CA--miner's spade
> PA--keystone
> NM--zia, state symbol

New York -- colonial shield

- Steve Anderson
The Roads of Metro New York http://members.tripod.com/~ande264/

The Josheyn Knight

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

DaBoMbHa97 <dabom...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199805010721...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
> Illinois and Indiana are copy cat's to each other according to James
Lin's site
> with the square and the 1940's version of thier State Route Markers.
So is South Carolina and Montana -- both use the similar style even though
from the interstate you will see signs similar to West Virgina and Conn. I
don't think Illinois and Indiana had similar shields in their 1940's
version. IL used the shape cutout of their state until the late 60's.

> Kansas Uses Sunflowers but the modern design makes it look like a yellow
> sawblade.
I agree with you. I travelled in Kansas on I-70 and I-635 back in 1996 and
that is a fact I cannot dispute! :)

Washington uses a shape of George Washington for thier state highway
shield!
--
Harv
Harv's Page of Highways- http://members.xoom.com/harv77/

> Christopher G Knight, Kansas City, KS
> South Of Sawblade Route 5 (Kansas 5)
> DaBoM...@aol.com
> Orange signs and Interstate-35 don't mix
> Coming soon I hope a Kansas City Aera Highway Page. just need some exit
number
> and letter route help

Michael Moroney

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

"Steve Riner" <ri...@frontiernet.net> writes:

>NFARS <nf...@aol.com> wrote in article
><199804302350...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>> Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what
>are the
>> reasons for the shapes of the state markers?

>Utah: the Beehive state
>Washington: George's head (duh!)
>Iowa: boring state, boring sign
>Oregon: state seal
>Colorado: state flag
>New Hampshire: Old Man of the Mountain

The Old Man of the Mountain is a natural rock formation in Franconia Notch
in the White Mountains, for those who don't know.

>of the Minnesota route marker is suggestive of the "lakes" theme. Then
>there are the "random geometrics" like Wisconsin or New York.

New York isn't a "random" geometric. It's an outline of the state shield,
much like the US route shield. New York uses this symbol quite a bit.

-Mike

DaBoMbHa97

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

><HTML>Subject: Re: State Highway Markers and their Shapes<BR>
>From: Steve Anderson <and...@erols.com><BR>
>Date: 4/30/98 10:13 PM Central Daylight Time<BR>
><BR>
>NFARS wrote:<BR>
>> <BR>

>> Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are
>the<BR>
>> reasons for the shapes of the state markers?<BR>
>> <BR>
>> Currently...<BR>
>> <BR>
>> CA--miner's spade<BR>
>> PA--keystone<BR>
>> NM--zia, state symbol<BR>
>> <BR>
>New York -- colonial shield<BR>
><BR>
>- Steve Anderson<BR>
>The Roads of Metro New York http://members.tripod.com/~ande264/<BR>
></HTML>

Illinois and Indiana are copy cat's to each other according to James Lin's site
with the square and the 1940's version of thier State Route Markers.

Kansas Uses Sunflowers but the modern design makes it look like a yellow
sawblade.

nwp...@student.berklee.edu

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

In article <35493D...@erols.com>#1/1,
and...@erols.com wrote:

> NFARS wrote:
> >
> > Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are the
> > reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
> >
> > Currently...
> >
> > CA--miner's spade
> > PA--keystone
> > NM--zia, state symbol
> >
> New York -- colonial shield

NH--Old Man of the Mountains, an actual geological feature. Anybody ever seen
it?

NP

Dan Moraseski

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

NFARS wrote in message <199804302350...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are
the
>reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
>
>Currently...
>
>CA--miner's spade
>PA--keystone
>NM--zia, state symbol

FL, GA, and AZ are obvious (state outline).

Exile on Market Street

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

In article <01bd74a8$6af4d580$58a482d1@sdr-s-computer>, "Steve Riner"
<ri...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Other states have adopted symbols that aren't "official" (e.g., the covered
> wagon for Nebraska, Indian head for North Dakota) but that are
> representative of the state's history. I would guess that the blue field

> of the Minnesota route marker is suggestive of the "lakes" theme. Then
> there are the "random geometrics" like Wisconsin or New York.

New York's geometrics are not "random" -- it's the rough outline of the
shield on the state seal.

I'm surprised that the original post omitted:

KS -- sunflower, state flower

--
Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia smi...@pobox.upenn.edu
Associate Editor, _Pennsylvania Current_ 215.898.1423/fax 215.898.1203

"For purposes of paragraph (3), an organization described in paragraph (2)
shall be deemed to include an organization described in section 501 (c)
(4), (5) or (6) which would be described in paragraph (2) if it were an
organization described in section 501 (c) (3)."
--------------------------Internal Revenue Code, section 501 (c) (what?)--

Exile on Market Street

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

dabom...@aol.com (DaBoMbHa97) wrote:

> Kansas Uses Sunflowers but the modern design makes it look like a yellow
> sawblade.

I wasn't aware that the outline of the Kansas state highway marker had
changed significantly since the sunflower shape was adopted. For as long
as I recall in the area, the outline has always consisted of "petals" that
alternated between pointing straight out and curving slightly to the right.

ri...@frontiernet.net

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

In article <6idepq$hil$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>#1/1,
nwp...@student.berklee.edu wrote:

> NH--Old Man of the Mountains, an actual geological feature. Anybody ever seen
> it?

Let's just say that it's not an imposing geological feature by western
standards. After seeing El Capitan, I wonder why it rates memorializing on
the state highway marker. (Disregarding the historical import, of
course---since Daniel Webster saw fit to compose a bit of doggerel in its
honor, as reported on a monument at the pass).

Steve Riner
Columbia Heights MN

Minnesota Highways Page is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~riner/main_hwy.htm

MaryKDan

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

NFARS wrote in article

>><199804302350...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>>> Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what
>>are the
>>> reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
>
>>Utah: the Beehive state
>>Washington: George's head (duh!)
>>Iowa: boring state, boring sign
>>Oregon: state seal
>>Colorado: state flag
>>New Hampshire: Old Man of the Mountain

Alaska uses a square sign with the Big Dipper.

GO JAZZ!!!

- Dan Stober
West Jordan, Utah

Kirby's of Fredericton

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

NFARS wrote:

> Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are the
> reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
>
> Currently...
>
> CA--miner's spade
> PA--keystone
> NM--zia, state symbol

AK-- Big Dipper
DE, MS, OK, NJ, IA, KY, VT-- MUTCD recommended design (circle)
NH-- Old Man in the Mountain, natural rock formation near Littleton
OR-- State Seal
WY-- Bucking Bronco
Quebec-- Fleur-de-Lis (provinical symbol)
Nova Scotia 100 series-- provincial flag
Prince Edward Island-- provincial coat of arms

--
J.P. Kirby -- jpk...@hotmail.com (or pki...@brunnet.net)
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, Earth

Scott Oglesby

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

nf...@aol.com (NFARS) wrote:

> Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are the
> reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
>
> Currently...
>
> CA--miner's spade
> PA--keystone
> NM--zia, state symbol
>

> Christopher Sampang
> NF...@aol.com

A 1937 California Highways and Public Works article ("How US and State
Routes are Designated by Numbered Markers", page 12) describes the CA
state shield as an acorn.

--
Scott Oglesby www.kurumi.com "sto at kurumi point com"
In tha house: Connecticut Roads, 3di's, interchanges, SignMaker

Michael G. Koerner

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

----------

<ri...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>NFARS <nf...@aol.com> wrote in article
><199804302350...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>> Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what
>are the
>> reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
>>
>> Currently...
>>
>> CA--miner's spade
>> PA--keystone
>> NM--zia, state symbol
>>

>Utah: the Beehive state
>Washington: George's head (duh!)
>Iowa: boring state, boring sign
>Oregon: state seal
>Colorado: state flag
>New Hampshire: Old Man of the Mountain
>

>Other states have adopted symbols that aren't "official" (e.g., the covered
>wagon for Nebraska, Indian head for North Dakota) but that are
>representative of the state's history. I would guess that the blue field
>of the Minnesota route marker is suggestive of the "lakes" theme. Then
>there are the "random geometrics" like Wisconsin or New York.

Wisconsin's evolved from a rectangle placed over a down pointing triangle.
New York's apears to have a heavy 'colonial' influance.

Michael G. Koerner

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

----------
In article <01bd75cc$124c2440$1e25...@gk-east.usps.gov>, "The Josheyn
Knight" <har...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>DaBoMbHa97 <dabom...@aol.com> wrote in article
><199805010721...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>> Illinois and Indiana are copy cat's to each other according to James
>Lin's site
>> with the square and the 1940's version of thier State Route Markers.

>So is South Carolina and Montana -- both use the similar style even though
>from the interstate you will see signs similar to West Virgina and Conn. I
>don't think Illinois and Indiana had similar shields in their 1940's
>version. IL used the shape cutout of their state until the late 60's.
>>

>> Kansas Uses Sunflowers but the modern design makes it look like a yellow
>> sawblade.

>I agree with you. I travelled in Kansas on I-70 and I-635 back in 1996 and
>that is a fact I cannot dispute! :)
>
>Washington uses a shape of George Washington for thier state highway
>shield!

Illinois' sign has the word 'ILLINOIS' across the top (VERY origional!!!)

BTW, is there any truth to the rumor I heard that Colorado is planning to
dump the state flag from it's sign?

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

DaBoMbHa97

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

><HTML>Subject: Re: State Highway Markers and their Shapes<BR>
>From: smi...@pobox.upenn.edu (Exile on Market Street)<BR>
>Date: 5/1/98 4:19 PM Central Daylight Time<BR>
><BR>
>In article <199805010721...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,<BR>
>dabom...@aol.com (DaBoMbHa97) wrote:<BR>
><BR>

>> Kansas Uses Sunflowers but the modern design makes it look like a
>yellow<BR>
>> sawblade.<BR>
><BR>
>I wasn't aware that the outline of the Kansas state highway marker had<BR>
>changed significantly since the sunflower shape was adopted. For as long<BR>

>as I recall in the area, the outline has always consisted of "petals"
>that<BR>

>alternated between pointing straight out and curving slightly to the
>right.<BR>
><BR>
>-- <BR>

>Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia
>smi...@pobox.upenn.edu<BR>

>Associate Editor, _Pennsylvania Current_ 215.898.1423/fax
>215.898.1203<BR>

>I speak for myself here, not for Penn
>http://pobox.upenn.edu/~smiths/<BR>
><BR>

>"For purposes of paragraph (3), an organization described in paragraph
>(2)<BR>
>shall be deemed to include an organization described in section 501 (c)<BR>
>(4), (5) or (6) which would be described in paragraph (2) if it were an<BR>
>organization described in section 501 (c) (3)."<BR>

>--------------------------Internal Revenue Code, section 501 (c)
>(what?)--<BR>
></HTML>

The current Kansas Shield Has 16 pedals 8 pointed out 8 pointed clock wise
placed 1 by 1 (Real Sawblades on Guide Signs) the older dessigns has more
pedals and it pointed in differnt directions.

Christopher G Knight, Kansas City, KS
South Of Sawblade Route 5 (Kansas 5)
DaBoM...@aol.com
Orange signs and Interstate-35 don't mix

Coming soon I hope a Kansas City Aera Highway Page. I've been working on the
Route descriptions.

Alan Hamilton

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

On Fri, 1 May 1998 16:10:56 -0400, "Dan Moraseski"
<d...@moraseski.ima-netREMOVE.com> wrote:

>FL, GA, and AZ are obvious (state outline).

I always thought Florida was a poor choice for a "state-outline"
design. The numbers obliterate the west coast and leak out into the
Gulf of Mexico.

--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Fmtyner

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <6idnuj$utm$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, ri...@frontiernet.net writes:

>In article <6idepq$hil$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>#1/1,
> nwp...@student.berklee.edu wrote:
>>

>> NH--Old Man of the Mountains, an actual geological feature. Anybody ever
>seen
>> it?
>>

>Let's just say that it's not an imposing geological feature by western
>standards. After seeing El Capitan, I wonder why it rates memorializing on
>the state highway marker. (Disregarding the historical import, of
>course---since Daniel Webster saw fit to compose a bit of doggerel in its
>honor, as reported on a monument at the pass).
>
>Steve Riner
>Columbia Heights MN

I once heard that Congress approved a design exception for I-93 to protect the
"Old Man of the Mountains." Is the interstate really 2-lanes in that area?

Fred Tyner
Canton, MS
Where plain old circles replaced plain old triangles on state highways many
years ago.

Michael Moroney

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

fmt...@aol.com (Fmtyner) writes:

>I once heard that Congress approved a design exception for I-93 to protect the
>"Old Man of the Mountains." Is the interstate really 2-lanes in that area?

Yes, about 10 miles of the route through Franconia Notch is a 2 lane,
divided (guardrail) parkway. I think it's marked "TO 93" but am not sure.
I'm not sure whether the route is technically 93 or not (it's also
US 3 which parallels 93 elsewhere in the area). I'll know for sure soon.

-Mike
(coming soon: New Hampshire Roads Website)

Maryszch

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

Ohio has a square shape with the state inside it

Kyle Levenhagen

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

I was through that area three years ago. It is marked as "TO I-95". In
addition, the exit signs are brown instead of green. And, yes, it is a
two-lane parkway (with a barrier down the middle).

Kyle

Marc Fannin

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <sorry-01059...@pm3-105.netgate.net>#1/1,

so...@readmy.sig (Scott Oglesby) wrote:

> In article <199804302350...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> nf...@aol.com (NFARS) wrote:
>
> > Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are
> > the
> > reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
> >
> > Currently...
> >
> > CA--miner's spade
> > PA--keystone
> > NM--zia, state symbol
> >

> > Christopher Sampang
> > NF...@aol.com
>
> A 1937 California Highways and Public Works article ("How US and State
> Routes are Designated by Numbered Markers", page 12) describes the CA
> state shield as an acorn.

Has anybody ever written to a state government and requested the legislation
that proclaimed which marker the state was to use? In what documents would
this legislation be located?

> --
> Scott Oglesby www.kurumi.com "sto at kurumi point com"
> In tha house: Connecticut Roads, 3di's, interchanges, SignMaker

Marc Fannin
mfa...@kentvm.kent.edu
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~musxf579/home.html

H.B. Elkins

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

nf...@aol.com (NFARS) wrote:

>Other than state highway markers designed exactly like the state, what are the
>reasons for the shapes of the state markers?
>
>Currently...
>
>CA--miner's spade
>PA--keystone
>NM--zia, state symbol

Others have mentioned several other distinctive designs, such as
Utah's beehive since it's the Beehive State.

What's interesting is how many states have changed their designs since
the 1949 images on Jim Lin's site.

Both Indiana and Illinois have switched from state outline signs to
the very generic square signs.

I'm interested in the history of the Virginia and Tennessee signs.
Virginia's signs look very much like a shield, while Tennessee used to
use a triangle for all state routes. There's a very subtle difference
between the Virginia state primary and Tennessee state secondary
markers.

BTW, when did Tennessee change its design for primary state routes to
the current sign with the outline of the state and the word
"Tennessee?" And when did Tennessee drop the abbreviation "TENN" from
below the numbers in the triangle shield? And finally, does anyone
think the current Tennessee primary signs would look better with the
state outline and name above the number, instead of below the number?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Winchester, KY
"You must have the courage to believe the truth!" -- Rush H. Limbaugh III
Kentucky Wildcats Basketball & #3 Dale Earnhardt -- A Championship Combination

mailto:hbel...@mis.net <or> mailto:HB...@aol.com
(Say "nyet" to spam! Please note: there is a spam-buster in my E-mail address.
To reply by E-mail,use one of the addresses above)
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins (last updated 4/25/98)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

NFARS

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

>Both Indiana and Illinois have switched from state outline signs to
>the very generic square signs.

Uh...if you see Harv's site about the Alton Bypass, you will see IL 255 and IL
111 signs, with the state outline on them.

Christopher Sampang
NF...@aol.com

Los Angeles Freeways: http://members.aol.com/LAFreeways
Corridors of the Future: http://members.aol.com/NFARS
Golden State Fwy.: http://members.aol.com/NFARS/gsf.htm

The Josheyn Knight

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

NFARS <nf...@aol.com> wrote in article

<199805042310...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> >Both Indiana and Illinois have switched from state outline signs to
> >the very generic square signs.
>
> Uh...if you see Harv's site about the Alton Bypass, you will see IL 255
and IL
> 111 signs, with the state outline on them.

I had to use that design for two reasons -- first I had a very difficult
time in editing the current IL highway shield on Micro$oft Paint, and
second, the current IL design can easily be confused with Indiana b/c both
states have the exact same design only that the state name is different.

Also, the reason I used the old shield is because it emphanizes that this
involves IL and no other state.

Mike Reaser

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

markrob...@tezcat.com (Mark Roberts) wrote:
>I wonder if any other state does what Illinois does on its drivers
>licenses -- the driver's photograph is contained within an outline
>of the state's shape.

Heh. Georgia puts a barcode representation of one's fingerprint
on the back of its driver licenses.

-- Mike Reaser, Atl., GA B2f+tw+cdvg+kvs++l+ aka HickBear on IRC
ICQ 3617758 mhr (at) photobooks.com or spdcc.com or mindspring.com

Always remember to pillage *before* you burn!

Richard M. Simpson III

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Mark Roberts wrote in message ...
>H.B. Elkins <hbel...@mis.nyet> had written:

>| What's interesting is how many states have changed their designs since
>| the 1949 images on Jim Lin's site.
>|

>| Both Indiana and Illinois have switched from state outline signs to
>| the very generic square signs.
>

>I wonder if any other state does what Illinois does on its drivers
>licenses -- the driver's photograph is contained within an outline
>of the state's shape.

Indiana tried that...for about three months at one license branch.

Kyle Levenhagen

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Michael D Adams wrote:

> markrob...@tezcat.com (Mark Roberts) wrote:
>
> >I wonder if any other state does what Illinois does on its drivers
> >licenses -- the driver's photograph is contained within an outline
> >of the state's shape.
>
> Outta curiosity....
>
> Is there a website up that displays samples of other states' drivers licenses?

I couldn't find anything about other states, but I found a website on
Wisconsin's new driver's licenses. They were first released last fall.

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/dmv/digital.html

The previous ones (like mine) have a 2.9 x 2.9 cm sized picture in the
lower left-hand corner, a blue outline of the state behind the pertinent
info to the right, and the state shield split between the picture and
the regular background. The plastic overlay says "OPERATOR'S LICENSE"
on the left and "WISCONSIN" on the right. Under 21 has a red
background; blue if you're over. All the organ donor stuff is on the
back.

From what I've seen, Illinois' licenses are somewhat similar.
Missouri's look REALLY cheap.

Kyle

Mike Reaser

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Ken Eikert <e...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Mike Reaser wrote:
>> Heh. Georgia puts a barcode representation of one's fingerprint
>> on the back of its driver licenses.
>
>There was a big debate about DL fingerprinting in atl.general
>last year.

I missed it -- I've only started sorta-lurking-sorta-posting there
in the past few months.

>Everyone calls it a bar code, but it looks more like a TV
>screen tuned to an unused channel. :)

Well, that's why I called it a barcode *representation*... :-)

Richard M. Simpson III

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

James D. Umbach wrote in message <6iomme$kke$1...@your.mother.com>...

>I couldn't find one, but if there is interest I would be happy to
>"donate" a scanned copy of my California license to anyone who wanted
>to make one.

As I will be happy to donate a copy of my Indiana drivers license.

Richard McClelland Simpson III

DaBoMbHa97

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

><HTML>Subject: Re: State Highway Markers and their Shapes<BR>
>From: mary...@aol.com (Maryszch)<BR>
>Date: 5/3/98 8:52 PM Central Daylight Time<BR>
><BR>
>Ohio has a square shape with the state inside it<BR>
></HTML>

Tennessee has a Square Shields With the State Outline on the Top and the number
below

Ken Eikert

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Mike Reaser wrote:

> Heh. Georgia puts a barcode representation of one's fingerprint
> on the back of its driver licenses.

There was a big debate about DL fingerprinting in atl.general
last year.

Everyone calls it a bar code, but it looks more like a TV

James D. Umbach

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

The cat walked across See-sig-f...@spam.is.evil (Michael D

Adams)'s keyboard and wrote:

>markrob...@tezcat.com (Mark Roberts) wrote:

>>I wonder if any other state does what Illinois does on its drivers
>>licenses -- the driver's photograph is contained within an outline
>>of the state's shape.

>Outta curiosity....

>Is there a website up that displays samples of other states' drivers licenses?

I couldn't find one, but if there is interest I would be happy to

"donate" a scanned copy of my California license to anyone who wanted
to make one.

James D. Umbach | apostle (at) mother.com
Citrus Heights, California | my web site: http://www.mother.com/~apostle
NEW POLICY EFFECTIVE 1MAY98: I do not read USENET threads with titles that
contain the name of a participant in the newsgroup. Thanks.

Michael G. Koerner

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

----------
In article <354FC...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu>, Kyle Levenhagen
<leve...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>> Is there a website up that displays samples of other states' drivers
licenses?

>I couldn't find anything about other states, but I found a website on
>Wisconsin's new driver's licenses. They were first released last fall.
>
>http://www.dot.state.wi.us/dmv/digital.html
>
>The previous ones (like mine) have a 2.9 x 2.9 cm sized picture in the
>lower left-hand corner, a blue outline of the state behind the pertinent
>info to the right, and the state shield split between the picture and
>the regular background. The plastic overlay says "OPERATOR'S LICENSE"
>on the left and "WISCONSIN" on the right. Under 21 has a red
>background; blue if you're over. All the organ donor stuff is on the
>back.
>
>From what I've seen, Illinois' licenses are somewhat similar.
>Missouri's look REALLY cheap.

The WORST I have ever seen is Minnesota's older embossed 'credit card'
design, nearly impossible to read when I did some work as a
bartender/concessioner and had to check IDs.

I also kinda like how Wisconsin encodes the license number (Illinois is also
similar, but the 'birthdate' multiplier is different--in Wisconsin, it is
'divide by 40'; in Illinois, (I believe) it is 'divide by 31').

Kyle Levenhagen

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> ----------
> In article <354FC...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu>, Kyle Levenhagen
> <leve...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
> >> Is there a website up that displays samples of other states' drivers
> licenses?
> >
> >I couldn't find anything about other states, but I found a website on
> >Wisconsin's new driver's licenses. They were first released last fall.
> >
> >http://www.dot.state.wi.us/dmv/digital.html
> >
> >The previous ones (like mine) have a 2.9 x 2.9 cm sized picture in the
> >lower left-hand corner, a blue outline of the state behind the pertinent
> >info to the right, and the state shield split between the picture and
> >the regular background. The plastic overlay says "OPERATOR'S LICENSE"
> >on the left and "WISCONSIN" on the right. Under 21 has a red
> >background; blue if you're over. All the organ donor stuff is on the
> >back.
> >
> >From what I've seen, Illinois' licenses are somewhat similar.
> >Missouri's look REALLY cheap.
>
> The WORST I have ever seen is Minnesota's older embossed 'credit card'
> design, nearly impossible to read when I did some work as a
> bartender/concessioner and had to check IDs.
>
> I also kinda like how Wisconsin encodes the license number (Illinois is also
> similar, but the 'birthdate' multiplier is different--in Wisconsin, it is
> 'divide by 40'; in Illinois, (I believe) it is 'divide by 31').

What do you mean by a "divide by 40" multiplier? The only parts I do
know are that the letter is the first letter of your last name, and your
year of birth is split by a dash. For instance, I was born 12/12/77.
Here's my license number (most numbers deleted for security reasons):

L***-***7-7***-00

I think the last two numbers may relate to restrictions on your
license. Since I have none, my last two numbers are 00. I should check
my mom's license sometime since she needs glasses and can only drive
vehicles with automatic transmission (due to a slight disability).

Kyle

Spam Hater

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Take a video editor program such as LView Pro and blot out
the essential numbers such as SS#, DL# and DOB. An interesting
question, does Missouri still require the SS# on the DL ?

Michael D Adams wrote:

> "Richard M. Simpson III" <adm...@oaktree.net> wrote:
> >
> >As I will be happy to donate a copy of my Indiana drivers license.
>

> I'm not sure how wise it would be to put copies of *actual* drivers licenses
> up on the web (do you really want your name, address, DL#, and possibly SS# up
> on the web)... but the idea of doing a drivers license web site does have it's
> appeal.

H.B. Elkins

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

See-sig-f...@spam.is.evil (Michael D Adams) wrote:

>I may have to look into this after my actuarial exam... especially now that my
>dream of putting a Maryland highways page up is now dead. (I moved out of
>state, MdDOT wouldn't share a route log, and there are too many of those
>danged itty-bitty 900-series routes to try to develop a list just finding them
>in DeLorme and on the state highway map.)

You need to be persistent. I kept e-mailing various folks in the Ky.
Transportation Cabinet for a route log, but got no answer. I wrote a
couple of hard-copy letters to folks I thought might be helpful, but
still no answer. I finally wrote the cabinet secretary and got what I
needed.

If Maryland has a state open records law, I'm sure the route listing
would be subject to it. I was ready to file an Open Records request
with the state attorney general's office if I had not gotten results
from the cabinet secretary.

West Virginia, OTOH, answered an E-mail request and officials there
have been extremely acommodating to my requests.

H.B. Elkins

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

dabom...@aol.com (DaBoMbHa97) wrote:

>Tennessee has a Square Shields With the State Outline on the Top and the number
>below

Actually, that's backwards. The number is on top and the state outline
is at the bottom.

Marc Fannin

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

In article <35507a37...@news.newsguy.com>#1/1,

hbel...@mis.nyet wrote:

> dabom...@aol.com (DaBoMbHa97) wrote:
>
> >Tennessee has a Square Shields With the State Outline on the Top and the
> >number
> >below
>
> Actually, that's backwards. The number is on top and the state outline
> is at the bottom.

Why not save all this discussion and just go to Jim Lin's state highway marker
site at

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/signs/states/

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++
> H.B. Elkins -- Winchester, KY

> [etc.]

> http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins (last updated 4/25/98)
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Richard M. Simpson III

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Spam Hater wrote in message <35506C6E...@kktv.com>...

>Take a video editor program such as LView Pro and blot out
>the essential numbers such as SS#, DL# and DOB. An interesting
>question, does Missouri still require the SS# on the DL ?

I don't know when they changed it, but Indiana no longer requires SSAN's on
the driver's license...since they assign everyone a number.

Now, they require it on the auto registration. Why, I don't know.

Adam Newman

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Michael D Adams wrote:

> "Richard M. Simpson III" <adm...@oaktree.net> wrote:
> >James D. Umbach wrote in message <6iomme$kke$1...@your.mother.com>...
> >
> >>I couldn't find one, but if there is interest I would be happy to
> >>"donate" a scanned copy of my California license to anyone who wanted
> >>to make one.
> >
> >As I will be happy to donate a copy of my Indiana drivers license.
>
> I'm not sure how wise it would be to put copies of *actual* drivers licenses
> up on the web (do you really want your name, address, DL#, and possibly SS# up
> on the web)... but the idea of doing a drivers license web site does have it's
> appeal.

Illinois has pictures of it's different types of drivers licences in the
"Rules of the Road" book. I'm sure other states must have some sort of
brochure or booklet that have sample drivers licences.

Adam Newman

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Adam Newman wrote:

> Illinois has pictures of it's different types of drivers licences in the
> "Rules of the Road" book. I'm sure other states must have some sort of
> brochure or booklet that have sample drivers licences.

I just found an Illinois drivers licence page on the web. We've
appearently changed licences, without me even knowing. Well, I'll still
have my old one for another 4 years, so it doesn't really matter to me
anyways. By then, they will probably be different anyways (the current
Secretary of State is running for governor, and will probably win).

--
Adam Newman
Six Flags Great America Information Center

JVincent

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> I also kinda like how Wisconsin encodes the license number (Illinois is also
> similar, but the 'birthdate' multiplier is different--in Wisconsin, it is
> 'divide by 40'; in Illinois, (I believe) it is 'divide by 31').

OK, here's how Illinois driver license numbers work. Here's a
hypothetical number, based on my own:

S316-2547-3364

S316 is the Soundex code for your last name, in this case my own real
last name. S is the first letter of my last name. 3, 1 and 6 are the
Soundex numbers for the next three consonants in my last name, T, F and
R. If my last name were, say, Stafford, the first four characters would
still be S316. If my last name were, uh... Zataffora, they would be
Z316.

The 6-3364 at the end indicates my (not actual, in this case) birthday.
The dash is misleading: The 63 indicates the year and 364 indicates the
day, which would be December 30. February 2, 1972 would be 7-2033.
Before you ask, I don't know how leap years are handled.

I believe, but am not sure, the 254 is some sort of sequence number or
randomizer to avoid duplication. It's not hard for two people to have
identical Soundex codes and birthdates in a state with 10 million people
(and millions more who no longer hold valid Illinois licenses for
whatever reason).

I gotta believe those middle three digits are random (that is, not
determined by some other vital statistic), because otherwise it would be
pretty easy to figure out peoples' driver license numbers yourself.

As it is now, you can get 3/4 of somebody's Illinois license number is
you know their birthdate and Soundex coding. Kinda like figuring out
where somebody was born from his Social Security number, or vice versa.
(Mark Roberts, your license begins with R163.)

Someone else posted about Wisconsin numbers; from the contents of the
post it seems that state uses a similar system. (Kyle Levenhagen, your
license begins with L152.)

Yes, there are Web sites that let you get Soundex codes. Use your
favorite browser. The "name" "Kurumi" would be K650... OK, I'll shut up
now.

--
JVincent (M.Steffora), Chicago, Illinois; jvincent at mcs dot net
Next Exit: North Carolina! http://www.mcs.net/~jvincent

"No matter what your plans are, the result is always a surprise."

Larry Stone

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

In article <3550F0...@mcs.net>, jvin...@mcs.net wrote:

>OK, here's how Illinois driver license numbers work. Here's a
>hypothetical number, based on my own:
>
>S316-2547-3364

>The 6-3364 at the end indicates my (not actual, in this case) birthday.
>The dash is misleading: The 63 indicates the year and 364 indicates the
>day, which would be December 30. February 2, 1972 would be 7-2033.
>Before you ask, I don't know how leap years are handled.

My license ends 5-8112 but my DOB is 4/19/58. By your description, I
should have 5-8109.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lst...@wwa.com
http://www.wwa.com/~lstone/

Adam Newman

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Adam Newman wrote:

> Adam Newman wrote:
> >
> > Illinois has pictures of it's different types of drivers licences in the
> > "Rules of the Road" book. I'm sure other states must have some sort of
> > brochure or booklet that have sample drivers licences.
>
> I just found an Illinois drivers licence page on the web. We've
> appearently changed licences, without me even knowing. Well, I'll still
> have my old one for another 4 years, so it doesn't really matter to me
> anyways. By then, they will probably be different anyways (the current
> Secretary of State is running for governor, and will probably win).

I forgot to post the site! It's
http://www.sos.state.il.us/depts/drivers/programs/digital.html

Michael G. Koerner

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

----------
In article <355032...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu>, Kyle Levenhagen
<leve...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>Michael G. Koerner wrote:

>> >From what I've seen, Illinois' licenses are somewhat similar.
>> >Missouri's look REALLY cheap.
>>
>> The WORST I have ever seen is Minnesota's older embossed 'credit card'
>> design, nearly impossible to read when I did some work as a
>> bartender/concessioner and had to check IDs.
>>

>> I also kinda like how Wisconsin encodes the license number (Illinois is
also
>> similar, but the 'birthdate' multiplier is different--in Wisconsin, it is
>> 'divide by 40'; in Illinois, (I believe) it is 'divide by 31').
>

>What do you mean by a "divide by 40" multiplier? The only parts I do
>know are that the letter is the first letter of your last name, and your
>year of birth is split by a dash. For instance, I was born 12/12/77.
>Here's my license number (most numbers deleted for security reasons):
>
>L***-***7-7***-00
>
>I think the last two numbers may relate to restrictions on your
>license. Since I have none, my last two numbers are 00. I should check
>my mom's license sometime since she needs glasses and can only drive
>vehicles with automatic transmission (due to a slight disability).

Wisconsin DL numbers are in the form "(L)abc-defg-hijk-lm" where:
'(L)' is the first letter of one's last name;
'abc' is the three digit solution when one's LAST name is run through a
mathematical formula (I read an article that described the formula a few
years ago, called 'Soundex', but I cannot recall where the article was);
'def' is the solution when one's FIRST name is run through the same formula;
'g-h' are the last two digits of one's birth year;
'ijk' is the result when the month and day of one's birth (mm/dd) are run
through the formula "((mm-1)x40)+dd" for a male and (((mm-1)x40)+dd)+500 for
a female (the 'multiplier' here is '31' instead of '40' in Illinois);
'l' is a 'tiebreaker' in case the name and birthdate of two people result in
otherwise identical numbers, usually in the case of identical twins, the
FIRST person with a particular DL number has a '0' in this spot, the next
gets a '1' and so on. There are very few Wisconsin DLs with a '1' in this
space, probably numbering in the low double digits--during my time as a
concessioner a few years ago, I only saw one license like this; and
'm' is a 'check digit' solution when the rest of the number is run through a
confidential mathematical formula, to make sure the rest of the number was
transcribed correctly when entered into DOT computers and to guard against
possible fraudulant DL numbers.

Wisconsin DLs also had a 'P' or an 'R' after the 'm' position to denote
'Probationary' or 'Regular' license status, but dropped it when the state
converted from paper to 'photo-laminated' license cards.

This system was developed, among other reasons, to allow a cop to deduce a
Wisconsin DL number knowing only someone's name and birthdate (also usefull
to bartenders and concessioners to help detect altered DLs and IDs).

Using this formula, Kyle, your partial Wisconsin DL number would be
"Lxxx-xxx7-7452-00", and if I had the above article handy, I would be able
to fill in the rest of the 'x's.

Several other states besides Illinois and Wisconsin use a similar formula to
create DL numbers, but I do not offhand know which ones they are.

Michael G. Koerner

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

----------
In article <lstone-0605...@poolf6-054.wwa.com>, lst...@wwa.com
(Larry Stone) wrote:

>In article <3550F0...@mcs.net>, jvin...@mcs.net wrote:
>
>>OK, here's how Illinois driver license numbers work. Here's a
>>hypothetical number, based on my own:
>>
>>S316-2547-3364

>>The 6-3364 at the end indicates my (not actual, in this case) birthday.
>>The dash is misleading: The 63 indicates the year and 364 indicates the
>>day, which would be December 30. February 2, 1972 would be 7-2033.
>>Before you ask, I don't know how leap years are handled.
>
>My license ends 5-8112 but my DOB is 4/19/58. By your description, I
>should have 5-8109.

Illinois multiplies the birth month (after subtracting 1 from it) by 31, and
then adds the day (it is *NOT* the serial number day of the year!).
Wisconsin uses the number '40' here instead of 31. Both states add 500 to
the result if the license holder is female. BTW, my Wisconsin DL starts
with 'K656'.

The Josheyn Knight

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

JVincent <jvin...@mcs.net> wrote in article <3550F0...@mcs.net>...

> Michael G. Koerner wrote:
>

> > I also kinda like how Wisconsin encodes the license number (Illinois is
also
> > similar, but the 'birthdate' multiplier is different--in Wisconsin, it
is
> > 'divide by 40'; in Illinois, (I believe) it is 'divide by 31').
> >

> OK, here's how Illinois driver license numbers work. Here's a
> hypothetical number, based on my own:
>
> S316-2547-3364
>

> S316 is the Soundex code for your last name, in this case my own real
> last name. S is the first letter of my last name. 3, 1 and 6 are the
> Soundex numbers for the next three consonants in my last name, T, F and
> R. If my last name were, say, Stafford, the first four characters would
> still be S316. If my last name were, uh... Zataffora, they would be
> Z316.
>

> The 6-3364 at the end indicates my (not actual, in this case) birthday.
> The dash is misleading: The 63 indicates the year and 364 indicates the
> day, which would be December 30. February 2, 1972 would be 7-2033.
> Before you ask, I don't know how leap years are handled.
>

> I believe, but am not sure, the 254 is some sort of sequence number or
> randomizer to avoid duplication. It's not hard for two people to have
> identical Soundex codes and birthdates in a state with 10 million people
> (and millions more who no longer hold valid Illinois licenses for
> whatever reason).
>
> I gotta believe those middle three digits are random (that is, not
> determined by some other vital statistic), because otherwise it would be
> pretty easy to figure out peoples' driver license numbers yourself.
>
> As it is now, you can get 3/4 of somebody's Illinois license number is
> you know their birthdate and Soundex coding. Kinda like figuring out
> where somebody was born from his Social Security number, or vice versa.
> (Mark Roberts, your license begins with R163.)
>
> Someone else posted about Wisconsin numbers; from the contents of the
> post it seems that state uses a similar system. (Kyle Levenhagen, your
> license begins with L152.)
>
> Yes, there are Web sites that let you get Soundex codes. Use your
> favorite browser. The "name" "Kurumi" would be K650... OK, I'll shut up
> now.
>
> --
> JVincent (M.Steffora), Chicago, Illinois; jvincent at mcs dot net
> Next Exit: North Carolina! http://www.mcs.net/~jvincent
>
> "No matter what your plans are, the result is always a surprise."

And you don't wanna know about the "under 21" drivers licenses in IL (esp
for females!) ;)

Rich Carlson, N9JIG

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

The date of birth on IL DL's is figured assuming ALL Months having 31 days,
even Febuary and all the ones with 30 days. Therefore March 1 would have
the last 3 numbers 062.

Leap year is therefore not an issue, as Febuary 29 would be 060.

Females have 600 added to the date of birth digits. Therefore a female born
of Febuary 29 would have 660 as the last three digits of the DL

The year of birth is as stated, as is the last name soundexing. The first
name soundexing is a different fashion, that also incorparates the middle
initial.

Sample DLN: X123-4567-890a

X123 is the soundex for the last name

456 is the soundex for the first name and middle initial

78 is the year of birth

90a is the coding of the date of birth.

If there are 2 or more people with the same derived DLN, an additional
digit is added to seperate the people.

In article <3550F0...@mcs.net>, jvin...@mcs.net wrote:

--
* Rich Carlson, N9JIG (n9...@theramp.net) *

Illinois Highway Page:
http://www.theramp.net/n9jig/home.html

Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association (CARMA)
http://www.theramp.net/shabec/carma.htm

Rich Carlson, N9JIG

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Illinois adds 600 to a females DLN, not 500.

To find a DOB from the last 3 digits, assume that each month has 31 days
(even those with 30 or even Febuary...) So March 1 would be "060"
regardless of leap year...

In article <6ircvp$gj9$1...@news.athenet.net>, "Michael G. Koerner"
<migk...@idiaitaiexii.com> wrote:

> ----------
> In article <lstone-0605...@poolf6-054.wwa.com>, lst...@wwa.com
> (Larry Stone) wrote:
>

> >In article <3550F0...@mcs.net>, jvin...@mcs.net wrote:
> >
> >>OK, here's how Illinois driver license numbers work. Here's a
> >>hypothetical number, based on my own:
> >>
> >>S316-2547-3364

> >>The 6-3364 at the end indicates my (not actual, in this case) birthday.
> >>The dash is misleading: The 63 indicates the year and 364 indicates the
> >>day, which would be December 30. February 2, 1972 would be 7-2033.
> >>Before you ask, I don't know how leap years are handled.
> >

> >My license ends 5-8112 but my DOB is 4/19/58. By your description, I
> >should have 5-8109.
>

> Illinois multiplies the birth month (after subtracting 1 from it) by 31, and
> then adds the day (it is *NOT* the serial number day of the year!).
> Wisconsin uses the number '40' here instead of 31. Both states add 500 to
> the result if the license holder is female. BTW, my Wisconsin DL starts
> with 'K656'.

> Regards,
>
> Michael G. Koerner
> Appleton, WI
>
> ***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
> address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Patrick L. Humphrey

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

st...@mail.utexas.edu (Stian Oksavik) writes:

>Anybody have a clue how Texas and California license numbers work? The
>California number is xyyyyyyy where the x is a letter and the y's are
>digits; in Texas, it's just an 8-digit number. Are they assigned
>sequentially, randomly, or is there bits and pieces of information hidden
>in there?

I don't know about California, but here in Texas, the license number appears
to be strictly sequential. Mine starts with 07, and I got it when I turned
sixteen -- back in 1971. (At that time, they were still seven digits, going
to eight in the late 1970s when the seven-digit numbers were running out.)
Current license numbers start with 16, at least on a couple that I've seen.

>I do know for a fact that endorsement/restrictions are not in any way
>encoded in Texas driver licenses, since my license number stayed the same
>when I upgraded from an operator license to a CDL (commercial driver
>license) with full endorsements.

They're not encoded in the license number, anyway -- but they're on there.
(With the new licenses being issued in the last four years, they're encoded in
the mag strip on the back, too.)

--PLH, two years and 13 days until expiration of the current TDL

Brad Cuppy

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

I use to be an IN resident and I remembered that the
SSN was the DL# until 1988 when they chnged the
look of the IN DL. As for registration, I don't know
why either. Here in Colorado, they SSN is NOT
REQUIRED auto registration nor DL. SSN on DL
is an option.

There was a bill in the IN General Assembly that
would have taken the SSN off the registration but it
died in the House Roads & Transportation committee.
The committee was chaired by a police officer name
Gary Cook from Plymouth IN.

If my wife and I ever moved back to Indiana, when
the time comes to give up Colorado Registration for IN
registration, the first thing I am going to do is take a nice
black marker and black out the SSN. Someone breaks into
your car and they can grab the SSN and apply for credit
in your name and leave you holding the "bag".

Richard M. Simpson III wrote:

Ray Mullins

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In article <stian-07059...@resnet-26-126.dorm.utexas.edu>,

Stian Oksavik <st...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>Anybody have a clue how Texas and California license numbers work? The
>California number is xyyyyyyy where the x is a letter and the y's are
>digits; in Texas, it's just an 8-digit number. Are they assigned
>sequentially, randomly, or is there bits and pieces of information hidden
>in there?

California is random, as is the letter. My DL is N<mumble>; I got in in
July of 1979. My wife's is C<mumble>. She got it in December 1985. (OK,
so I robbed the cradle.) I got mine out of Winnetka, she got hers out of
Saugus or Newhall.

Georgia's, Colorado's and Texas are sequential. When we moved to Georgia,
ours were adjacent; Colorado, separated by 1 (R2765nn), Texas, separated
by 133 (must have been a busy day).

One neat thing: upon return to California, we were reissued the same license
number! Has anyone had similar experiences in other states?

>I do know for a fact that endorsement/restrictions are not in any way
>encoded in Texas driver licenses, since my license number stayed the same
>when I upgraded from an operator license to a CDL (commercial driver
>license) with full endorsements.

This makes sense, when you think about it with my restriction, which
is corrective lenses. I didn't get the restriction until I was 22.

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins (http://www.lerctr.org/~mrm/) from Roseville, California
(which has better transit service than Arlington TX, and 1/5 the population)

Will Flor

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In article <6irb7p$g81$1...@news.athenet.net>, "Michael G. Koerner" <migk...@idiaitaiexii.com> wrote:

>----------
>In article <355032...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu>, Kyle Levenhagen
><leve...@NOSPAM.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>Wisconsin DL numbers are in the form "(L)abc-defg-hijk-lm" where:
>'(L)' is the first letter of one's last name;
>'abc' is the three digit solution when one's LAST name is run through a
>mathematical formula (I read an article that described the formula a few
>years ago, called 'Soundex', but I cannot recall where the article was);

[snip]

>Several other states besides Illinois and Wisconsin use a similar formula to
>create DL numbers, but I do not offhand know which ones they are.

Back when I lived in MO (mid-seventies through mid-eighties), they used a
similar system to generate license numbers, or at least the first four
characters. The first character was the last initial, and the next three
depended on your last name, but it wasn't derived from the soundex algorithm
(I still have a MO license issued to me in 1980, and the number is different
from that on my current Wisconsin license). I'm pretty sure that it was
derived in some manner from the last name, as people with names "Flor" (mine)
and "Glover" (a friends) had DL numbers with the same three-digit number after
the initial.

-Will Flor wi...@will-flor.spamblock.com
Appropriately adjust my return address to reach me via e-mail.

JVincent

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Ray Mullins wrote:

> Georgia's, Colorado's and Texas are sequential. When we moved to Georgia,
> ours were adjacent; Colorado, separated by 1 (R2765nn), Texas, separated
> by 133 (must have been a busy day).
>
> One neat thing: upon return to California, we were reissued the same license
> number! Has anyone had similar experiences in other states?

Yes, in Pennsylvania. That state numbers licenses sequentially; I
received 22 479 XXX in 1988 and was reissued that number in 1993.

North Carolina, FWIW, issues numbers sequentially; my sister and I
received our licenses at the same time. Mine was 8XXX733 and hers was
8XXX735. Someone else was in between us. I didn't know there was another
way until I moved to Illinois. I wonder whether N.C. has broken eight
digits yet.

Do any states out there number their licenses by milepost? <ducking>

Brad Cuppy

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Colorado does it in YY-DOY-XXXX where YY is Year such as 95
for 1995, DOY is the Day of year such as Jan 1 is 001, Jan 30 is 030
and Feb 1 is 031 until Dec 31 which is either 365 or 366 depending
if it is a leap year or not. The XXXX is a sequential number.

Brad

Richard M. Simpson III

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

JVincent wrote in message <355232...@mcs.net>...

>Do any states out there number their licenses by milepost? <ducking>

I wish I could understand the number I have...then again, I wish I could
find my license... :)

(Brainless moment: forgot to take it off of the scanner!)

My DL# is 10 digits...(I doubt that they would be sequential...I doubt that
there have been 8,903,570,000 people EVER to live in Indiana.)

Kyle Levenhagen

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> Wisconsin DL numbers are in the form "(L)abc-defg-hijk-lm" where:
> '(L)' is the first letter of one's last name;
> 'abc' is the three digit solution when one's LAST name is run through a
> mathematical formula (I read an article that described the formula a few
> years ago, called 'Soundex', but I cannot recall where the article was);

> 'def' is the solution when one's FIRST name is run through the same formula;
> 'g-h' are the last two digits of one's birth year;
> 'ijk' is the result when the month and day of one's birth (mm/dd) are run
> through the formula "((mm-1)x40)+dd" for a male and (((mm-1)x40)+dd)+500 for
> a female (the 'multiplier' here is '31' instead of '40' in Illinois);
> 'l' is a 'tiebreaker' in case the name and birthdate of two people result in
> otherwise identical numbers, usually in the case of identical twins, the
> FIRST person with a particular DL number has a '0' in this spot, the next
> gets a '1' and so on. There are very few Wisconsin DLs with a '1' in this
> space, probably numbering in the low double digits--during my time as a
> concessioner a few years ago, I only saw one license like this; and
> 'm' is a 'check digit' solution when the rest of the number is run through a
> confidential mathematical formula, to make sure the rest of the number was
> transcribed correctly when entered into DOT computers and to guard against
> possible fraudulant DL numbers.
>
> Wisconsin DLs also had a 'P' or an 'R' after the 'm' position to denote
> 'Probationary' or 'Regular' license status, but dropped it when the state
> converted from paper to 'photo-laminated' license cards.
>
> This system was developed, among other reasons, to allow a cop to deduce a
> Wisconsin DL number knowing only someone's name and birthdate (also usefull
> to bartenders and concessioners to help detect altered DLs and IDs).
>
> Using this formula, Kyle, your partial Wisconsin DL number would be
> "Lxxx-xxx7-7452-00", and if I had the above article handy, I would be able
> to fill in the rest of the 'x's.

I feel so... VIOLATED!!! :)

Kyle

Scott D Fybush

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

Okay then...

Who'd like to take a stab at the old New York drivers license
numbering system? It sounds like it might have been a variant on
the Wisconsin/Illinois system -- at least, the number on
my old NYS license before I moved to Massachusetts in the early
90s started with the first letter of my last name and rambled
on for many, many digits.

My Mass. drivers license just used my SSN, and when I moved back
to NYS in 2/97, the new DL number was a fairly generic nine-digit
deal. (But, even though I never told them I used to have a NYS
drivers license, the old DL # showed up on my new interim
license...which leads me to suspect it may indeed have been
generated by a formula).

Anybody know for sure?

-s

Mike Pruett

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

> See-sig-f...@spam.is.evil (Michael D Adams) wrote:
>
> >I may have to look into this after my actuarial exam... especially now that my
> >dream of putting a Maryland highways page up is now dead. (I moved out of
> >state, MdDOT wouldn't share a route log, and there are too many of those
> >danged itty-bitty 900-series routes to try to develop a list just finding them
> >in DeLorme and on the state highway map.)

I was afraid that would be the case with Maryland...which is why I was
putting that off until I'd gotten everything possible for my MD site
from other sources. But it's almost time for me to go for that elusive
MD route log. I'd love to hear what the excuse was, and who gave you the
snub.

Some of those 900 series change from year to year, as they may just be a
side street where SHA parked its job site trailer during a nearby
project, so they re-pave that part of road before turning it back to the
county. Without the logs from each year, it's nearly impossible to catch
them all.

I've been to the SHA store off I-83 in downtown Baltimore to buy grid
maps with these routes on them, but I haven't asked about an actual
route log. I wonder if the folks at the map sales counter would have an
idea what that is. Other than the grid maps, another good source of
obscure MD routes for me has been the annual Consolidated Transportation
Program published by the MD DOT. This even has small sections of
numbered roads so short there's no room for a number on their maps. But
it only mentions a route if construction or repair is planned on it
during the next five years. So if a route isn't under repair, I'm out
of luck, unless there's a log.

I went to the Maryland State Archives in Annapolis last Saturday, and
there was a ton of info, especially from the 30s & 40s. But, as much
stuff as they had, there was no specific document mentioning a route
inventory at the Archives. If there was such a log for each year, it
would really be a help to organizing my info and placing dates on the
routes, as many numbers have been repeated.

> H. B. Elkins wrote:
> If Maryland has a state open records law, I'm sure the route listing
> would be subject to it. I was ready to file an Open Records request
> with the state attorney general's office if I had not gotten results
> from the cabinet secretary.

Sure hope I don't have to go that far! But I'm willing to if it comes
to that. Any suggestions on what to say? I was planning on writing
hard copy letters to certain SHA personnel. That way, I'd get a written
response, even if it's a form letter.

Maryland Highway Page (very much under construction):
http://www.erols.com/n3kev/mdroads

Text Route Log (not from MD SHA):
http://www.erols.com/n3kev/mdroads/mdroutes.txt
-will have to do until I HTMLize it- :)

Alan Hamilton

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

On 07 May 1998 05:52:47 -0500, pat...@io.com (Patrick L. Humphrey)
wrote:

>I don't know about California, but here in Texas, the license number appears
>to be strictly sequential. Mine starts with 07, and I got it when I turned
>sixteen -- back in 1971. (At that time, they were still seven digits, going
>to eight in the late 1970s when the seven-digit numbers were running out.)
>Current license numbers start with 16, at least on a couple that I've seen.

Arizona's appear to be sequential as well, although they may include
check digits. State-issued numbers start with "B" and have
(currently) 8 digits, though they have had fewer in the past. You can
also have your SSN as your number, although they're not pushing that
like they used to.

AZ has the "static smudge" bar code, as well as a magnetic stripe.
You can see a sample at http://www.dot.state.az.us/mvd/license.htm

--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Brad Cuppy

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

They could have kept the record on you. My brother held
an IN Drivers License, then moved to IL and got an IL
DL and then moved bak to IN and got his IN DL back.
His IN DL still kept the same number.

A funny item is my wife and I use to hold an IN Drivers license
but now, we both hold a Colorado DL and I just got our driving
records from IN BMV and CO Dept. of Revenue. My wife's
record had a speeding ticket with active points but the record
indicated that she now holds a CO DL. When she surrendered
her IN DL for CO DL, her maiden name was on her IN DL
and she showed her marriage license and got her married name
on her CO DL. I surrendered my IN DL for CO but yet, my IN
driving record does not say anything about me holding a CO DL.
Something got lost in the paperwork. Our Colorado driving
records has a part of that indicates our previous state license
numbers and issueing state.

One guy I use to work with held a CO DL, moved to Michigan,
got a MI DL and then moved back to Colorado and got his
CO DL back. He kept the same number.

Kind of interesting.

H.B. Elkins

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

Brad Cuppy <bpc...@kktv.com> wrote:

>I use to be an IN resident and I remembered that the
>SSN was the DL# until 1988 when they chnged the
>look of the IN DL. As for registration, I don't know
>why either. Here in Colorado, they SSN is NOT
>REQUIRED auto registration nor DL. SSN on DL
>is an option.
>
>There was a bill in the IN General Assembly that
>would have taken the SSN off the registration but it
>died in the House Roads & Transportation committee.
>The committee was chaired by a police officer name
>Gary Cook from Plymouth IN.

Kentucky used to use a very complicated drivers license numbering
system. In the late 1970s or early 1980s, the state changed to using
the Social Security number as the basis for the DL number. This was
done, according to the powers that be, to make it easy to remember the
number. There was also somewhat of a move at the time to use one
number (the SSN) for all ID purposes.

Two years ago, the state reversed itself and removed the SSN as the
drivers license number. Now we've got those complicated numbers again.
I couldn't remember my DL number if my life depended on it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Winchester, KY

"You must have the courage to believe the truth!" -- Rush H. Limbaugh III
Kentucky Wildcats Basketball & #3 Dale Earnhardt -- A Championship Combination

mailto:hbel...@mis.net <or> mailto:HB...@aol.com
(Say "nyet" to spam! Please note: there is a spam-buster in my E-mail address.
To reply by E-mail,use one of the addresses above)

H.B. Elkins

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

Mike Pruett <n3...@erols.com> wrote:

>Sure hope I don't have to go that far! But I'm willing to if it comes
>to that. Any suggestions on what to say? I was planning on writing
>hard copy letters to certain SHA personnel. That way, I'd get a written
>response, even if it's a form letter.

Dear (official):

I would like to request a copy of any official document you may have
listing numbers and routings of state-maintained highways in (state).
If you have this information available electronically, you may E-mail
a text version to me at (e-mail address), in addition to sending me a
printed copy of the document.

If you cannot provide me with such a document, please do me the
courtesy of explaining the decision to me.

Thank you, blah blah blah.

Send it certified, return-receipt. That way you know they got it and
you know who signed for it.

Check with a newspaper office in your area or the state press
association concerning the state's open records laws, and how to make
an open records request.

I know that in Kentucky, you make open records requests to the agency.
There are specific rules involved. If the agency denies the request,
you appeal to the state attorney general's office (at no charge to
you). If the AG's office says the document is open, the agency must
comply and send it to you. If the AG's office rules against you, you
can contest it in court (although I wouldn't go to the expense of
doing that).

mwal...@wam.umd.edu

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

Michael G. Koerner wrote:

>The WORST I have ever seen is Minnesota's older embossed 'credit card'
>design, nearly impossible to read when I did some work as a
>bartender/concessioner and had to check IDs.

Sorry to inject politics in this newsgroup, but this is not something you
should admit in public. If we were having a conversation and you mentioned you
helped enforce the drinking age, I'd probably douse you with gasoline...

Matt

>I also kinda like how Wisconsin encodes the license number (Illinois is also
>similar, but the 'birthdate' multiplier is different--in Wisconsin, it is
>'divide by 40'; in Illinois, (I believe) it is 'divide by 31').

>Regards,

>Michael G. Koerner
>Appleton, WI

>***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
>address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Matt Walcoff

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

Richard M. Simpson III

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

H.B. Elkins wrote in message <3553127d...@news.newsguy.com>...

I called InDOT today. They have no clue what a "State Route Log" is, but a
very nice woman in Roadway Maintenance said that she would mail me a copy of
a list that has "all the state roads on it with description." (Read "State
Route Log" :) )

She said that she would mail it since "it has too many pages to fax."

I hope that she sends a letter with her name on it...she deserves a great
deal of credit for her prompt response (25 minutes from time of first call
by me to the time she called back), and her help in getting this document.

So that there is not an onslaught (yeah, right) of requests, I will OCR scan
the document when I get it, and will be willing to pass it along to anyone
who wants it.

She said it would go in the mail this afternoon. Since I live 8 miles from
the State Office Building, I figure I should have it by next Friday. :)

Richard McClelland Simpson III
"Good things come to those who wait. Unless of course you're on death row."
-From the series "Living Single"

Jim Terry

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

Washington's is unique:

If your name was Joseph Christopher Smith, and you were born on 2/26/71
your driver's license would be approximately:

SMITHJC29#DZ

It starts with the first 5 letters of your last name, then your first and
middle initial. The first two digits are your year of birth subtracted
from 100, the third digit is, well, I don't know how they get that one,
then the letter code at the end is your month and day of birth. The way I
*think* it works is like this: The first and last half of the month have
different letters. Example - if you were born in the first 15 days of
January it would be an "A", if in the last 16 days, it would be a "B"
Then as far as I can tell, the last letter is for the day of the month you
were born, i.e. if born on the 1st day of the month, it would be "A", if
born on the 20th day it would be "T", and if born on the 27th day it would
be "1." Correct me if I am wrong!

Fun and games :)

JIM

| \ / +--+ Send a message to: |
| \________/ | streetlight...@eskimo.com |
| Visit my street | with "subscribe" in subject field |
| lighting web site at: +----------------+------------------|
| http://www.eskimo.com/~jrterry/streetlights.html | SPACE FOR RENT |
|____________________________________________________|__________________|

| +--+ | James R. Terry |
| ________|__|_____________ | jrt...@eskimo.com |

Tim Brown

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

"Richard M. Simpson III" <adm...@oaktree.net> writes:

>I called InDOT today. They have no clue what a "State Route Log" is, but a
>very nice woman in Roadway Maintenance said that she would mail me a copy of
>a list that has "all the state roads on it with description." (Read "State
>Route Log" :) )

>She said that she would mail it since "it has too many pages to fax."

An Indiana state route log. Now that wouldn't take long to fax!
--
bath...@iglou.com http://members.iglou.com/bathroom Tantrum 95.7 FM
Read THE LAST WORD before the Kenton County Public LIEbrary censors it!

Richard M. Simpson III

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

Tim Brown wrote in message ...

Received said state route log in the mail today...(not bad...it was mailed
yesterday).

It is 21 pages long.

Some of the interesting things I have seen so far...US 36, US 40, US 52, IN
67, and US 421 OFFICIALLY end at I-465. There are no multiplexes with
I-465.

To quote from the "State Road Route Locations" list: "U.S. 40 From the
Indiana-Illinois State Line in Vigo County travelling east thru Terre Haute,
Brazil, and Plainfield toi Jct. I-465 West of Indianapolis. From Jct. I-465
East of Indianapolis in Marion County travelling east thru Greenfield and
Richmond in Wayne County to the Indiana-Ohio State Line."

So I guess the "Crossroads of America" is Interstate 465?

Rich Carlson, N9JIG

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

In article <slrn6l9t9c.50j....@xochi.tezcat.com>,
markrob...@tezcat.com (Mark Roberts) wrote:

> JVincent <jvin...@mcs.net> had written:

> | The dash is misleading: The 63 indicates the year and 364 indicates the
> | day, which would be December 30. February 2, 1972 would be 7-2033.
>

> Mine then *should* be 098 per that algorithm but isn't.

> | (Mark Roberts, your license begins with R163.)
>

> That part is right!

IL uses a system that assumes ALL months have 31 days. December 30 would
end in 371, not 364. This also takes care of leap years...

364 would be Dec 23.

Mark Stauter

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

Mark Roberts wrote:

> Missouri licensing generally is incredibly inconvenient. For
> instance, to renew your vehicle license, you need the inspection
> papers *and* the previous year's county tax receipt

For example, my car's tags come due in December. Thus, when I get my
1998/1999 renewal sticker this coming December, I'll have to produce my
1997 Phelps County personal tax receipt!

Mark Stauter
University of Missouri-Rolla
msta...@umr.edu