Road Signs for Sale?

N-by-Nwest

Apr 26, 2010, 10:29:59 AM4/26/10
Hello all,

Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
replace? Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
forum to buy and sell street signs?

I have tons of license plates and old travel signs for my "man cave"
and am really wanting to add some used highway signs to the walls to
really tie it all together.

Does anybody know a good source of highway signs? In particular, I'm
looking to purchase an I-94 shield (having grown up in Wisconsin) .

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nick

Portland, OR

US 71

Apr 26, 2010, 11:53:34 AM4/26/10

"N-by-Nwest" <nickande...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello all,
>
> Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
> replace? Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
> forum to buy and sell street signs?

Have you checked e-bay?

I know Arkansas "recycles" almost all of theirs (scrape them clean and reuse
them). Though I used to occasionally find stuff at the scrap yard.

Marc Fannin

Apr 26, 2010, 7:30:22 PM4/26/10
On Apr 26, 10:29 am, N-by-Nwest <nickandelise8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
> replace?  Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
> forum to buy and sell street signs?
>
> I have tons of license plates and old travel signs for my "man cave"
> and am really wanting to add some used highway signs to the walls to
> really tie it all together.
>
> Does anybody know a good source of highway signs?  In particular, I'm
> looking to purchase an I-94 shield (having grown up in Wisconsin) .

Following is misc.transport.road FAQ Question 10.5; it contains
information that's four years old or more, so I can't vouch for its
authenticity anymore, but it's a start, and others can verify or
discount information.

"10.5

Q: Where can one buy road signs?

A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased at http://www.hallsigns.com/
, http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/html/signs/cmsigns.html ,
http://street.safeshopper.com/ , http://www.trafficsafetystore.com/ ,
and http://www.ringway.co.uk/ (others are listed within
http://dmoz.org/Business/Transportation_and_Logistics/Traffic_Control/
). Signs occasionally appear on eBay ( http://www.ebay.com/ ).
Finally, an occasional m.t.r poster ( http://profiles.yahoo.com/usroute12
) collects orders for bulk purchase of signs with both current and
retired designs. See also http://www.trafficsign.us/signpurch.html .
Note: This FAQ does not necessarily endorse any business.

Be advised that possession of road signs may be a criminal offense in
some localities, even with valid proof of purchase.

Jul 18, 2006"

Marc Fannin|musxf579 @hotmail.com|http://roadfan.com/ (m.t.r FAQ, etc.)

N-by-Nwest

Apr 26, 2010, 11:25:53 PM4/26/10
On Apr 26, 4:30 pm, Marc Fannin <musxf...@kent.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 10:29 am, N-by-Nwest <nickandelise8...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
>
> > Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
> > replace?  Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
> > forum to buy and sell street signs?
>
> > I have tons of license plates and old travel signs for my "man cave"
> > and am really wanting to add some used highway signs to the walls to
> > really tie it all together.
>
> > Does anybody know a good source of highway signs?  In particular, I'm
> > looking to purchase an I-94 shield (having grown up in Wisconsin) .
>
> Following is misc.transport.road FAQ Question 10.5; it contains
> information that's four years old or more, so I can't vouch for its
> authenticity anymore, but it's a start, and others can verify or
> discount information.
>
> "10.5
>
> Q: Where can one buy road signs?
>
> A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased athttp://www.hallsigns.com/
> ,http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/html/signs/cmsigns.html,http://street.safeshopper.com/,http://www.trafficsafetystore.com/,
> andhttp://www.ringway.co.uk/(others are listed withinhttp://dmoz.org/Business/Transportation_and_Logistics/Traffic_Control/

> ). Signs occasionally appear on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/).
> Finally, an occasional m.t.r poster (http://profiles.yahoo.com/usroute12

> ) collects orders for bulk purchase of signs with both current and
> retired designs. See alsohttp://www.trafficsign.us/signpurch.html.
> Note: This FAQ does not necessarily endorse any business.
>
> Be advised that possession of road signs may be a criminal offense in
> some localities, even with valid proof of purchase.
>
> Jul 18, 2006"

> Marc Fannin|musxf579 @hotmail.com|http://roadfan.com/(m.t.r FAQ, etc.)

Thanks much! I'll check those out.

Nick

Jonathan L

Apr 27, 2010, 4:39:55 AM4/27/10
On Apr 26, 8:25 pm, N-by-Nwest <nickandelise8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 4:30 pm, Marc Fannin <musxf...@kent.edu> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 26, 10:29 am, N-by-Nwest <nickandelise8...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hello all,
>
> > > Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
> > > replace?  Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
> > > forum to buy and sell street signs?
>
> > > I have tons of license plates and old travel signs for my "man cave"
> > > and am really wanting to add some used highway signs to the walls to
> > > really tie it all together.
>
> > > Does anybody know a good source of highway signs?  In particular, I'm
> > > looking to purchase an I-94 shield (having grown up in Wisconsin) .
>
> > Following is misc.transport.road FAQ Question 10.5; it contains
> > information that's four years old or more, so I can't vouch for its
> > authenticity anymore, but it's a start, and others can verify or
> > discount information.
>
> > "10.5
>
> > Q: Where can one buy road signs?
>
> > A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased athttp://www.hallsigns.com/
> > ,http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/html/signs/cmsigns.html,http://stree...,
> > andhttp://www.ringway.co.uk/(othersare listed withinhttp://dmoz.org/Business/Transportation_and_Logistics/Traffic_Control/

> > ). Signs occasionally appear on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/).
> > Finally, an occasional m.t.r poster (http://profiles.yahoo.com/usroute12
> > ) collects orders for bulk purchase of signs with both current and
> > retired designs. See alsohttp://www.trafficsign.us/signpurch.html.
> > Note: This FAQ does not necessarily endorse any business.
>
> > Be advised that possession of road signs may be a criminal offense in
> > some localities, even with valid proof of purchase.
>
> > Jul 18, 2006"

> > Marc Fannin|musxf579 @hotmail.com|http://roadfan.com/(m.t.rFAQ, etc.)

> Thanks much! I'll check those out.
>
> Nick

To add to what Marc said, trying to buy a sign being taken down during
a local DOT project varies from state to state. I believe that most
DOTs are leery of doing so because of buyers potentially reselling
signs for profit, or that there are contractual obligations allowing
the construction company on the project to salvage the signs for
scrap.

There was a thread a while back (I don't remember the specifics) from
someone having inquired about buying signs being taken down during a
resigning project on the Pasadena Freeway, where it was mentioned that
Caltrans would only sell an old sign if it was going to a museum.

As for new signs, here in WA I did not have any problems ordering some
WSDOT-spec "Freeway Entrance" signs a couple of years back, from the
company that made the signs posted on the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge
(in fact, the DOT stickers on the back of the signs was how I found
their contact information). I was simply asked if they were for
private use--they were, I was working on a project codenamed "Freeway"
and thought it'd be amusing to have a few "Freeway Entrance" signs to
hang in my office and around our workspace.

-Jonathan

ctsignguy

Apr 27, 2010, 8:20:34 AM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 4:39 am, Jonathan L <jlipp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 8:25 pm, N-by-Nwest <nickandelise8...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Following is misc.transport.road FAQ Question 10.5; it contains
> > > information that's four years old or more, so I can't vouch for its
> > > authenticity anymore, but it's a start, and others can verify or
> > > discount information.
>
> > > "10.5
>
> > > Q: Where can one buy road signs?
>
> > > A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased athttp://www.hallsigns.com/
> > > ,http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/html/signs/cmsigns.html,http://stree...,
> > > andhttp://www.ringway.co.uk/(othersarelisted withinhttp://dmoz.org/Business/Transportation_and_Logistics/Traffic_Control/

You can also check at AARoads Forums and SignalTraffic Forums (you
might have to register) but occasionally signs pop up for sale in
those places....

timothyc...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 7:56:33 PM7/27/16
I work for a signing company that does DOT work we have old signs of basically any type and size let me know what u are looking for

andre...@hotmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 2:47:30 PM11/23/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 6:56:33 PM UTC-5, timothyc...@gmail.com wrote:
> I work for a signing company that does DOT work we have old signs of basically any type and size let me know what u are looking for

I am looking for some unique used street signs, I bought some for scrap prices but it seems the employees take and keep the best ones for themselves.

Can you let me know what you have available, thanks

- Andrea

healthcar...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2017, 8:37:49 AM2/8/17

healthcar...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2017, 8:39:04 AM2/8/17

thereedfam...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2017, 1:45:01 PM3/26/17
Wondering if you still have access to used DOT signs? I am looking for large sheets of aluminum, they don't have to have any recognizable signage on them.

poster...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2017, 9:39:00 PM4/2/17
A great place to get street signs for sale, sign posts, marine signs, navigational markers and construction sign is Municipal Sign & Supply of Florida https://www.municipalsigns.com/collections/street-signs-for-sale

vtpe...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2017, 12:25:43 AM7/16/17

vtpe...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2017, 12:29:06 AM7/16/17

dicki...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2018, 6:30:02 PM6/2/18
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 6:56:33 PM UTC-5, timothyc...@gmail.com wrote:
> I work for a signing company that does DOT work we have old signs of basically any type and size let me know what u are looking for

Do you still have access to old signs? I'm a collector.

Thank you,
Dickie

christi...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2018, 10:32:34 AM6/5/18
On Monday, April 26, 2010 at 10:29:59 AM UTC-4, N-by-Nwest wrote:
Hello,
Yes - have many different signs. Can send pics for you to choose from. They are from years of collecting.
You can reach me by email.

hatp...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2018, 11:24:40 PM6/5/18
du u hav thu hat putato sine?

carrier...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2018, 2:12:46 PM6/28/18
Hi I have unique road signs for sale are you still interested I live in newbrunswick where are you

carrier...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2018, 2:14:54 PM6/28/18
I have unique road signs are you still interested I live in new Brunswick where are you

ete...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2019, 10:24:02 AM6/6/19
Hey bud I have an Interstate 45 sign which is taken out of service by some vehicle not my vehicle LOL. It's for sale and can text me at 409-728-4129

ete...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2019, 10:25:13 AM6/6/19
I have Interstate 45 sign origins in Houston. Text me 409-728-4129

m.to...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2020, 5:47:43 AM4/25/20
Hi there,

Curious if you still have Portland signs around? Would love more info / pics :)

Michael