Railway gauges - comprehensive list

RiceRPFP

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges used by the
railway/road systems of the world. I recognize that standard (4'8.5") is used
by over 60% of the world, most of Europe and North America. I am interested in
learning the other gauges.

Rice...@CS.com Thanks

Dmitry Zinoviev

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) writes:

Try this:

http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html

--
Dmitry ZINOVIEV ICQ 25273892 TEL 1-631-632-8060 HOME 1-631-476-3959
Res. Sc. Phys. SUNY Stony Brook http://pavel.physics.sunysb.edu/RSFQ

Graeme Wall

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
In message <20000604174651...@ng-fm1.news.cs.com>
rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) wrote:

> I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges used by the
> railway/road systems of the world. I recognize that standard (4'8.5") is
> used by over 60% of the world, most of Europe and North America. I am
> interested in learning the other gauges.
>

> Rice...@CS.com Thanks
The vast majority would be covered by 2 ft, 3 ft, meter, standard, 5 ft,
5'3", 5'6"

HTH
--
Graeme Wall
Cynicism is disillusioned idealism

RiceRPFP

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
Thank you, lots of good information there.

RiceRPFP

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
Thank you

I found this site that has a comprehensive list

http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html

Manfred Luckmann

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Dmitry Zinoviev wrote:

> rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) writes:
>
> > I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges used by the
> > railway/road systems of the world. I recognize that standard (4'8.5") is used
> > by over 60% of the world, most of Europe and North America. I am interested in
> > learning the other gauges.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html

Good list !
but I found two (at least ;) items missing and one addition:

750 mm Switzerland (WB)
800 mm Switzerland (WAB, SPB, BRB, MGN, MG)
1200 mm Switzerland (Rheineck-Walzenhausen)

all these lines are still in sercice

Manfred Luckmann

Tobias Giles

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
In article <393DF761...@dynamic.de>, Manfred Luckmann
<Manfred....@dynamic.de> wrote:

> > http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html
>
> Good list !
> but I found two (at least ;) items missing and one addition:
>
> 750 mm Switzerland (WB)
> 800 mm Switzerland (WAB, SPB, BRB, MGN, MG)
> 1200 mm Switzerland (Rheineck-Walzenhausen)

Manfred, I forwarded your reply to his guy. Hopefully Switzerland will now
be more accurately represented. ;-)

Cheers,
Tobias Giles

Jishnu Mukerji

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
to Dmitry Zinoviev
Dmitry Zinoviev wrote:

> rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) writes:
>
> > I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges used by the
> > railway/road systems of the world. I recognize that standard (4'8.5") is used
> > by over 60% of the world, most of Europe and North America. I am interested in
> > learning the other gauges.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html

Great list. It seems to be missing a few items though:

4'8.5" India (Calcutta Tramways Company)
5'6" Bangladesh

Jishnu Mukerji
j...@fpk.hp.com

Dmitry Zinoviev

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Dmitry Zinoviev wrote:

> rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) writes:
>
> > I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges used by the
> > railway/road systems of the world. I recognize that standard (4'8.5") is used
> > by over 60% of the world, most of Europe and North America. I am interested in
> > learning the other gauges.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html

Now, I have two gauges for South Africa: 1,065 mm and 1,050 mm. Do
they really use both? If so, which one of them is "Cape gauge"? if
not, which one is correct?

dw...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
Graeme Wall said:

> In message <20000604174651...@ng-fm1.news.cs.com>
> rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) wrote:
>

> > I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges used by
> > the
> > railway/road systems of the world. I recognize that standard
> > (4'8.5") is
> > used by over 60% of the world, most of Europe and North America. I am
> > interested in learning the other gauges.

> The vast majority would be covered by 2 ft, 3 ft, meter, standard, 5

> ft, 5'3", 5'6"

That is, if you are prepared to strike off all the main line railways of
New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Queensland, Western
Australia and Tasmania, which are 3ft 6in gauge. Or is this supposed to
rank as a distorted metre ?
____ ~ ~ ~~__
_|OO|__[]_[]___\/0 Dan dwi...@cix.compulink.co.uk
\___|_________|_|_ Wilson antispam: remove 2 if emailing
'oo "-O=O=O-" oo\

ine...@my-deja.com

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
How is it possible to run trains on such narrow gauges
such as 1 foot 3 inches, 2 feet or even 3 feet? Would
the trains have enough stability?

BTW, notice at the bottom that BART isn't the only
oddball 5' 6" system in the world... apparently such
gauges exist in very modern countries that use also
"space-age" technology such as Argentina, Bangladesh,
India, Iran, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

381 mm or 1' 3" UK (Ravenglass & Eskdale Light Rwy)

384 mm or 1' 3 1/8" UK (Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Light Rwy)

600 mm or 1' 11 5/8" UK (Ffestiniog), Sweden, Zaire

610 mm or 2' India, South Africa

686 mm or 2' 3" UK (Talyllyn)

750 mm or 2'5.5" Argentina (Old Patagonian Express, Rio Turbio Coal),
China, Czechia, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, Kazakstan, Latvia,
Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland (WB),
Ukraine

760 mm or 2'5.9" "Bosnian gauge"
Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Rep., Hungary, Rumania, Slovakia,
Slovenia, Ukraine (Transcarpatian lines)

762 mm or 2'6" Australia (Victoria), Brazil, China, India, Japan,
Korea, Mozambique, Nepal, North Korea, Sri Lanka (Kelani Valley Rwy)

785 mm or 2'6.9" Poland

799 mm or 2'7.5" UK (Snowdon Mountain)

800 mm or 2'7.5" Switzerland (WAB, SPB, BRB, MGN, MG)

891 mm or 2'11" Sweden (museum + commercial)

914 mm or 3' Colombia, El Salvador, Georgia (Bakuriani), Guatemala,
Honduras, Ireland (Bord Na Mona + tourist lines), Mexico, Panama, Peru,
Spain, USA, UK (Manx Electric Rwy)

950 mm or 3'1.4" Eritrea, Italy

1,000 mm or 3'3.4" Argentina (x-Belgrano Northern and South), Austria,
Bangladesh, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile,
Ethiopia, France, Greece, Guinea, India, Italy, Ivory Cost, Kampuchea,
Kenya, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Myanmar, Norway (Thamshavn, museum;
Grakallbanen), Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Senegal,
Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia,
Uganda, Vietnam

1,050 mm or 3'5 1/3" Jordan, South Africa

1,055 mm or 3'5.5" Algeria

1,057 mm or 3'5.6" Honduras

1,065 mm or 3'5.9" Namibia, South Africa

1,067 mm or 3'6" Angola, Australia, Botswana, China (Taiwan), Congo,
Costa Rica, Equador, Ghana, Honduras, Indonesia, Japan, Malavi,
Mozambique, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway (Sulitjelmabanen,
closed), Philippines, Russia (Sakhalin), Sudan, Swaziland, Sweden
(museum), Tanzania, UK (Isle of Man), Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabve

1,200 mm or 3'11 1/4" Switzerland (Rheineck-Walzenhausen)

1,372 mm or 4'6" Japan

1,432 mm or 4'8.4" Algeria, United Kingdom (main lines)

1,435 mm or 4'8.5" "Standard gauge" Argentina (x-Urquiza), Albania,
Australia, Austria, Belgia, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba,
Czechia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, France, Gabon, Germany,
Greece, Hungary, India (Calcutta Tramways Company), Iran, Iraq, Israel,
Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Yugoslavia, Korea, Lebanon, Liberia, Lithuania,
Luxembourg, Mauritania, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway,
Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Rumania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Uruguay, USA, United Kingdom
(secondary lines), Venezuela, Vietnam

1,524 mm or 5' "Russian gauge"
Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Finland, Georgia,
Hungary, Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Mongolia,
Panama, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan,
Ukraine, Uzbekistan

1,600 mm or 5'3" Australia, Brazil, Ireland, United Kingdom (North
Ireland)

1,665 mm or 5'5 2/3" Portugal

1,668 mm or 5'5 2/3" Spain

1,676 mm or 5'6" Argentina (x-Roca, Mitre, San Martin, Sarmiento),
Bangladesh, India, Iran, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, USA (BART)

> rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) writes:
> > I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges
> > used by the railway/road systems of the world. I recognize
> > that standard (4'8.5") is used by over 60% of the world,
> > most of Europe and North America. I am interested in
> > learning the other gauges.
>

> Try this:
>
> http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David Bromage

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
ine...@my-deja.com wrote:
> 610 mm or 2' India, South Africa

Also Australia.

> 891 mm or 2'11" Sweden (museum + commercial)

900 mm. Australia (Victoria)

Cheers
David

Merritt Mullen

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
David Bromage at dbro...@fang.omni.com.au wrote on 6/8/00 1:45 AM:

> ine...@my-deja.com wrote:
>> 610 mm or 2' India, South Africa
>
> Also Australia.

Also the US (several in Maine)

Merritt

Horst Ebert

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
On 07 Jun 2000 14:32:37 -0400, Dmitry Zinoviev
<dmi...@pavel.physics.sunysb.edu> wrote:

>Now, I have two gauges for South Africa: 1,065 mm and 1,050 mm. Do
>they really use both? If so, which one of them is "Cape gauge"? if
>not, which one is correct?

AFAIK originally 1067 mm is known as Cap(e) gauge. According to
Norwegians named after their Carl Abraham Pihl, who fought for the
first lines of this gauge in Norway. The first 1067mm line in Norway
opened in 1862.
--
Horst Ebert
D-Hamburg

Silas Warner

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
ine...@my-deja.com wrote:

> How is it possible to run trains on such narrow gauges
> such as 1 foot 3 inches, 2 feet or even 3 feet? Would
> the trains have enough stability?

Well, you've got to recognize that a standard 4'8 1/2"
gauge railroad car in the 1900s was 40 feet long, 10
feet wide and 12 feet high. Skrinking the gauge to 2
feet, and keeping everything in propotion, a passenger
car would still be 4 feet wide, 17 feet long and 5 feet
high -- enough to carry 2 passenger seats abreast with
a roof over their heads.

> BTW, notice at the bottom that BART isn't the only
> oddball 5' 6" system in the world... apparently such
> gauges exist in very modern countries that use also
> "space-age" technology such as Argentina, Bangladesh,
> India, Iran, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

A lot of cities in the 19th century -- Baltimore,
Philadelphia, Boston, and Toronto among them --
chose oddball gauges for their streetcar systems.
Unlike BART, they acknowledged the main reason for
the choice -- to keep freight cars off the streetcar
systems and to keep steam railroads from taking them
over. Baltimore, for instance, mandated 5'1 1/4"
gauge to keep out the Baltimore & Ohio, which was
5" gauge at that time. The council chose that gauge
by simply having a councilman walk outside City
Hall, measure the wheel gauge of all the dray
wagons passing by and take the average.

Of course, in the 19th century all tracklaying
was by hand. There was no power machinery that
might be shared between railroads, and indeed
not much of an interchange system to share that
equipment. Many railroads varied in gauge until
the Civil War regauged them, including the B&O.
So back then, cities could adopt any gauge they
wanted without incurring extra expense for
using nonstandard tracklaying equipment.

BART never acknowledged that motive for adopting
its strange gauge, but I'm sure that they were
scared of the image of a choo-choo train roaming
their space-age transportation system and took
steps to prevent it.

Silas Warner

Dmitry Zinoviev

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Horst Ebert <horst...@gmx.de> writes:

Is it still used in Norway?

John S.Robinson

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
ine...@my-deja.com wrote:

>How is it possible to run trains on such narrow gauges
>such as 1 foot 3 inches, 2 feet or even 3 feet? Would
>the trains have enough stability?

Much better to use 7'0.25"

>1,432 mm or 4'8.4" United Kingdom (main lines)

This was changed back to 1435mm a couple of years ago. I had a drink
in the Head of Steam at Euston with someone hot-foot from the
momentous meeting. I'm sure Railtrack implemented this after the style
of May 1892 on one of those weekends when they claimed to have shut
down the whole system to change a signal bulb at Cyffordd Dyfi.

Cheers,
John

Dmitry Zinoviev

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
j...@bcs.org.uk (John S.Robinson) writes:

> >1,432 mm or 4'8.4" United Kingdom (main lines)
>
> This was changed back to 1435mm a couple of years ago. I had a drink
> in the Head of Steam at Euston with someone hot-foot from the
> momentous meeting. I'm sure Railtrack implemented this after the style
> of May 1892 on one of those weekends when they claimed to have shut
> down the whole system to change a signal bulb at Cyffordd Dyfi.

It's interesting to mention that the actual gauge of Russian railways
may _officially_ vary from 1,520 mm to as wide as 1,545 mm (by 25
mm!!!) -- for the same rolling stock. Likewise, Russian "standard"
narrow gauge may vary from 750 mm (nominal) to 780 mm. Which makes my
entire list with all those fine millimeters a nonsense :-)

Silas Warner

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
to Access Systems
[some followup groups snipped]

Access Systems wrote:

> In misc.transport.rail.misc Silas Warner <si...@value.net> wrote:
>
> : > BTW, notice at the bottom that BART isn't the only

> : > oddball 5' 6" system in the world... apparently such
> : > gauges exist in very modern countries that use also

> : >
> : A lot of cities in the 19th century -- Baltimore,
> : chose oddball gauges for their streetcar systems.

> : Unlike BART, they acknowledged the main reason for
> : the choice -- to keep freight cars off the streetcar
> : systems and to keep steam railroads from taking them
> : over. Baltimore, for instance, mandated 5'1 1/4"
>

> Baltimore's trolley guage was 5' 4.5"
>
> : gauge to keep out the Baltimore & Ohio, which was

> : 5" gauge at that time.
>

> the Baltimore & Ohio was always 4' 8.5

I lived in Baltimore, and have been to both the Baltimore
Streetcar Museum and the B&O. You may well be right
about the streetcar gauge: that was just from memory.
But I know that the B&O's first line, out to Ellicott's
Mills, was built with a five-foot gauge, and the Tom
Thumb was definitely built to a five-foot gauge. They
may well have regauged it before the Civil War, but it
did start at five feet even. (The Tom Thumb now on
display in the museum is a reconstruction for the 1927
Fair of the Iron Horse.)

Silas Warner

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
"John S.Robinson" wrote:

> ine...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >1,432 mm or 4'8.4" United Kingdom (main lines)
>
> This was changed back to 1435mm a couple of years ago.

By the way, the standard gauge can vary by up to 6 mm or
about 1/4". On the Baltimore subway system, the first
section was deliberately built narrow to 4'8 1/4", as
an experiment to see whether the tight gauge would
make a smoother, less wobbly ride. It didn't, and it
wore the wheels and rails out prematurely, so the
outer section was built to standard 4'8 1/2" gauge.
I'm sure the inner section has been regauged by now,
but for a couple of years there was a stretch of wooden
ties outside Reisterstown Plaza station which marked
the "gauge change."

Silas Warner

Merritt Mullen

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Silas Warner at si...@value.net wrote on 6/8/00 11:45 AM:

> ine...@my-deja.com wrote:
>>
>> How is it possible to run trains on such narrow gauges
>> such as 1 foot 3 inches, 2 feet or even 3 feet? Would
>> the trains have enough stability?
>>

> Well, you've got to recognize that a standard 4'8 1/2"
> gauge railroad car in the 1900s was 40 feet long, 10
> feet wide and 12 feet high. Skrinking the gauge to 2
> feet, and keeping everything in propotion, a passenger
> car would still be 4 feet wide, 17 feet long and 5 feet
> high -- enough to carry 2 passenger seats abreast with
> a roof over their heads.

I rode in a 2' gauge passenger car last summer (on the Wiscasset,
Waterville, and Farmington Railway in Maine) and it was a lot bigger than
that on the inside. True, there was only one seat on each side of the aisle
(but a fairly wide seat), but I would guess the interior width was closer to
five feet and the interior height was over six feet. It really didn't seem
small inside.

Merritt

Graeme Wall

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In message <8hmlsp$nm7$1...@plutonium.compulink.co.uk>
dw...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> Graeme Wall said:
>
> > In message <20000604174651...@ng-fm1.news.cs.com>
> > rice...@cs.com (RiceRPFP) wrote:
> >

> > > I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges used by
> > > the
> > > railway/road systems of the world. I recognize that standard
> > > (4'8.5") is
> > > used by over 60% of the world, most of Europe and North America. I am
> > > interested in learning the other gauges.
>

> > The vast majority would be covered by 2 ft, 3 ft, meter, standard, 5
> > ft, 5'3", 5'6"
>
> That is, if you are prepared to strike off all the main line railways of
> New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Queensland, Western
> Australia and Tasmania, which are 3ft 6in gauge. Or is this supposed to
> rank as a distorted metre ?

I just knew that someone would pick up on that one, not sure how I managed to
miss it, it was on my pencilled list, too much Argentine red (see
uk.railway.beer.burp).

Access Systems

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
In misc.transport.rail.misc Silas Warner <si...@value.net> wrote:

: > BTW, notice at the bottom that BART isn't the only
: > oddball 5' 6" system in the world... apparently such
: > gauges exist in very modern countries that use also
: >
: A lot of cities in the 19th century -- Baltimore,
: chose oddball gauges for their streetcar systems.
: Unlike BART, they acknowledged the main reason for
: the choice -- to keep freight cars off the streetcar
: systems and to keep steam railroads from taking them
: over. Baltimore, for instance, mandated 5'1 1/4"

Baltimore's trolley guage was 5' 4.5"

: gauge to keep out the Baltimore & Ohio, which was
: 5" gauge at that time.

the Baltimore & Ohio was always 4' 8.5

just picking a few nits

: Of course, in the 19th century all tracklaying

: was by hand. There was no power machinery that
: might be shared between railroads, and indeed
: not much of an interchange system to share that
: equipment. Many railroads varied in gauge until
: the Civil War regauged them, including the B&O.

most of the North was 4' 8.5" before the Civil War, did my thesis on this
subject. one of the major problems in the South was the lack of a
standard rail guage, Union General Herman Haupt was a couple miles behind
General Sherman in the (in)famous march to the sea, and he was building a
Railroad to keep Sherman suppplied, and he was building everything to the
Northern Standard of 4' 8.5" (1435mm)

--
Bob

David Bromage

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Horst Ebert (horst...@gmx.de) wrote:
> On 07 Jun 2000 14:32:37 -0400, Dmitry Zinoviev
> <dmi...@pavel.physics.sunysb.edu> wrote:

> >Now, I have two gauges for South Africa: 1,065 mm and 1,050 mm. Do
> >they really use both? If so, which one of them is "Cape gauge"? if
> >not, which one is correct?

> AFAIK originally 1067 mm is known as Cap(e) gauge.

Also called Colonial Narrow Gauge.

Cheers
David

Roderick Smith

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Dima is right,
rail gauge is rather a synthetic notion, and varies on curves and with wear
& tear.
New Zealand tightened its 1067 mm gauge to 1055 in lots of places years ago,
to give better tracking for diesels after steam locos with long rigid
wheelbases were no longer in regular traffic. Coned wheels on tapered rail
are very accommodating.

Dmitry Zinoviev wrote:

j...@bcs.org.uk (John S.Robinson) writes:
> >1,432 mm or 4'8.4" United Kingdom (main lines)

> > This was changed back to 1435mm a couple of years ago. I had a drink

> > in the Head of Steam at Euston with someone hot-foot from the
> > momentous meeting. I'm sure Railtrack implemented this after the style
> > of May 1892 on one of those weekends when they claimed to have shut
> > down the whole system to change a signal bulb at Cyffordd Dyfi.
>
> It's interesting to mention that the actual gauge of Russian railways
> may _officially_ vary from 1,520 mm to as wide as 1,545 mm (by 25
> mm!!!) -- for the same rolling stock. Likewise, Russian "standard"
> narrow gauge may vary from 750 mm (nominal) to 780 mm. Which makes my
> entire list with all those fine millimeters a nonsense :-)

--
Regards
Roderick B Smith

Patrick Bonacker

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
dbro...@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>ine...@my-deja.com wrote:
>> 610 mm or 2' India, South Africa
>
>Also Australia.
>

>> 891 mm or 2'11" Sweden (museum + commercial)
>
>900 mm. Australia (Victoria)

900 mm also Germany (Bad Doberan - Kuehlungsborn)

Patrick

tobias b koehler

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Did anyone mention 1100 mm? (tram of Braunschweig, Germany)

Another funny tram gauge is 1450 mm (Dresden and I think Leipzig)

--
tobias benjamin köhler _______________ t...@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
__________<_ ______________ ______________ ______________

Jim Holland

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Greetings!

Silas Warner wrote:

> Well, you've got to recognize that a standard 4'8 1/2"
> gauge railroad car in the 1900s was 40 feet long, 10
> feet wide and 12 feet high. Skrinking the gauge to 2
> feet, and keeping everything in propotion, a passenger
> car would still be 4 feet wide, 17 feet long and 5 feet
> high -- enough to carry 2 passenger seats abreast with
> a roof over their heads.

Why did the Los Angeles trolleycars remain *standard-sized-equipment*
when their track gauge was 3.5-feet? Their all-electric PCCs were wide
bodied cars as well -- 9.0-feet! You don't have to shrink the
car-body for the track gauge!!

James B. Holland

Pittsburgh Railways Company (PRCo), 1940 -- 1950
To e-mail privately, please click here: mailto:pgh...@pacbell.net
N.M.R.A. Life member #2190; http://www.mcs.net:80/~weyand/nmra/

Alan Michelson

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Merritt Mullen wrote:

> David Bromage at dbro...@fang.omni.com.au wrote on 6/8/00 1:45 AM:
>
> > ine...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >> 610 mm or 2' India, South Africa
> >
> > Also Australia.
>
> Also the US (several in Maine)

Chicago Tunnel Company RailRoad had 2' gauge in
http://www.ameritech.net/users/chicagotunnel/tunnel1.html

London imitated Chicago with the London Post Office RailWay at
http://www.karslake.co.uk/mailrail/

Alan Michelson

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
ine...@my-deja.com wrote:

> BTW, notice at the bottom that BART isn't the only
> oddball 5' 6" system in the world... apparently such
> gauges exist in very modern countries that use also
> "space-age" technology such as Argentina, Bangladesh,
> India, Iran, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

> > Try this:
> >
> > http://turksib.com/gauges/index-e.html

Great Western Railway in Britain had a gauge of 7 feet.
A timber railroad in Oregon country had a gauge of 8 feet.

Alan Michelson

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Merritt Mullen wrote:

> Silas Warner at si...@value.net wrote on 6/8/00 11:45 AM:
>
> > ine...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >>
> >> How is it possible to run trains on such narrow gauges
> >> such as 1 foot 3 inches, 2 feet or even 3 feet? Would
> >> the trains have enough stability?
> >>
> > Well, you've got to recognize that a standard 4'8 1/2"
> > gauge railroad car in the 1900s was 40 feet long, 10
> > feet wide and 12 feet high. Skrinking the gauge to 2
> > feet, and keeping everything in propotion, a passenger
> > car would still be 4 feet wide, 17 feet long and 5 feet
> > high -- enough to carry 2 passenger seats abreast with
> > a roof over their heads.

Griffith Park in Los Angeles is famous for some miniature narrow-gauge
systems such as the L.A. Live Steamers and the Griffith Park Southern
Railroad. See
http://www.cityofla.org/RAP/grifmet/gp/test/attractions2.htm

Horst Ebert

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
On 08 Jun 2000 15:43:22 -0400, Dmitry Zinoviev
<dmi...@pavel.physics.sunysb.edu> wrote:

>> AFAIK originally 1067 mm is known as Cap(e) gauge. According to
>> Norwegians named after their Carl Abraham Pihl, who fought for the
>> first lines of this gauge in Norway. The first 1067mm line in Norway
>> opened in 1862.
>
>Is it still used in Norway?

There is one preserserved line http://www.setesdalsbanen.no/, some
lines are closed, and some main lines are converted to 1435mm (in case
of the Vestfold line as late as 1949). You might find more about this
on www.njk.no .

--
Horst Ebert
D-Hamburg

Alan Fishel

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
You may want to add the 3' 6" 1435 mm gauge lines of the Portland, Denver
and Los Angeles trolley systems.
<ine...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8hncdi$9ru$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> How is it possible to run trains on such narrow gauges
> such as 1 foot 3 inches, 2 feet or even 3 feet? Would
> the trains have enough stability?
>
> BTW, notice at the bottom that BART isn't the only
> oddball 5' 6" system in the world... apparently such
> gauges exist in very modern countries that use also
> "space-age" technology such as Argentina, Bangladesh,
> India, Iran, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

> 381 mm or 1' 3" UK (Ravenglass & Eskdale Light Rwy)
>
> 384 mm or 1' 3 1/8" UK (Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Light Rwy)
>
> 600 mm or 1' 11 5/8" UK (Ffestiniog), Sweden, Zaire
>
> 610 mm or 2' India, South Africa
>
> 686 mm or 2' 3" UK (Talyllyn)
>
> 750 mm or 2'5.5" Argentina (Old Patagonian Express, Rio Turbio Coal),
> China, Czechia, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, Kazakstan, Latvia,
> Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland (WB),
> Ukraine
>
> 760 mm or 2'5.9" "Bosnian gauge"
> Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Rep., Hungary, Rumania, Slovakia,
> Slovenia, Ukraine (Transcarpatian lines)
>
> 762 mm or 2'6" Australia (Victoria), Brazil, China, India, Japan,
> Korea, Mozambique, Nepal, North Korea, Sri Lanka (Kelani Valley Rwy)
>
> 785 mm or 2'6.9" Poland
>
> 799 mm or 2'7.5" UK (Snowdon Mountain)
>
> 800 mm or 2'7.5" Switzerland (WAB, SPB, BRB, MGN, MG)
>
> 891 mm or 2'11" Sweden (museum + commercial)
>
> > > I am looking for a comprehensive list of the various gauges
> > > used by the railway/road systems of the world. I recognize
> > > that standard (4'8.5") is used by over 60% of the world,
> > > most of Europe and North America. I am interested in
> > > learning the other gauges.

Jan-Martin Hertzsch

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
tobias b koehler <t...@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de> wrote in
<8hrls7$66t$1...@rks1.urz.tu-dresden.de>:

: Another funny tram gauge is 1450 mm (Dresden and I think Leipzig)

AFAIK Leipzig trams run on 1458 mm gauge tracks.

In an old thread I found this:

According to "Encyclopedia of Railways" (general editor O.S. Nock,
1977, Octopus Books, ISBN 0-7064-0604-4), page 285...

# ... The widest gauge ever used for a
# conventional railway was 3,327 mm (10 ft 11 in), on which three
# strange-looking steam engines served the coke ovens at a Glasgow
# steelworks for 40 years from 1885.

(from an article by Mark Brader, 1997/05/22)

Jan-Martin

m greene

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:04:38 GMT, "Alan Fishel"
<afi...@interurbans.com> wrote:

>You may want to add the 3' 6" 1435 mm gauge lines of the Portland, Denver
>and Los Angeles trolley systems.

Check below on the track gages...your metric to American is a
little off...

><ine...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8hncdi$9ru$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

>> 1,067 mm or 3'6" Angola, Australia, Botswana, China (Taiwan), Congo,
>> Costa Rica, Equador, Ghana, Honduras, Indonesia, Japan, Malavi,
>> Mozambique, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway (Sulitjelmabanen,
>> closed), Philippines, Russia (Sakhalin), Sudan, Swaziland, Sweden
>> (museum), Tanzania, UK (Isle of Man), Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabve
>>

>> 1,435 mm or 4'8.5" "Standard gauge" Argentina (x-Urquiza), Albania,

>> Australia, Austria, Belgia, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba,
>> Czechia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, France, Gabon, Germany,
>> Greece, Hungary, India (Calcutta Tramways Company), Iran, Iraq, Israel,
>> Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Yugoslavia, Korea, Lebanon, Liberia, Lithuania,
>> Luxembourg, Mauritania, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway,
>> Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Rumania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden,
>> Switzerland, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Uruguay, USA, United Kingdom
>> (secondary lines), Venezuela, Vietnam

Later

Michael T. Greene

Ulf Kutzner

Jan 21, 2022, 12:43:38 PM1/21/22
ine...@my-deja.com schrieb am Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2000 um 09:00:00 UTC+2:

> 1,435 mm or 4'8.5" "Standard gauge" Argentina (x-Urquiza), Albania,
> Australia, Austria, Belgia, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba,
> Czechia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, France, Gabon, Germany,
> Greece, Hungary, India (Calcutta Tramways Company), Iran, Iraq, Israel,
> Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Yugoslavia, Korea, Lebanon, Liberia, Lithuania,
> Luxembourg, Mauritania, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway,
> Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Rumania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden,
> Switzerland, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Uruguay, USA, United Kingdom
> (secondary lines), Venezuela, Vietnam

IIUmolC, Nigeria is now waiting for second-hand but unused Wisconsin Talgo
trainsets for local-suburban services.

Regards, ULF