New railway lines in China

Helmut Uttenthaler

May 28, 2002, 5:01:26 PM5/28/02

from http://www.railjournal.com/altfeature1.shtml

China Spends Its Way Out Of Capacity Problems

Construction of new lines in Chinese Railways' 2001-5 five-year plan will
expand total network length from 68,000 to 75,000km. The plan involves
investment totalling $US 42.3 billion.
Mike Knutton
Senior Editorial Consultant

IN absolute terms, China pumps more money into railway investment than any
other country on earth. It is currently investing very nearly $US 8.5
billion a year in its 2001-5 five-year plan, compared with its closest
rival, German Rail, which is investing $US 7.4 billion a year during the
same period.

In terms of spending per kilometre of track, however, the positions are
reversed, with Germany spending $US 202,739 for each of its 36,500 route
kilometres, and China spending $US 124,264 for each of its 68,000 route-km.

China, however, is very much in a catch-up situation trying to beat capacity
problems caused by an ever-accelerating demand for rail transport fuelled by
dizzy levels of economic growth, much of it unleashed through industrial
liberalisation.

Official forecasts suggest annual volumetric traffic growth of 4.4% for
passengers and 0.9% for freight up to 2005, with turnover increasing by 2.4%
and 1% respectively in the same period. Growth will be greater than average
in the western region where domestic and international corridors are being
expanded.

Development of new rail corridors is at the heart of China's rail expansion
programme.

China's 10th five-year plan for railways is worth a total of Yuan 350
billion ($US 42.3 billion) covering about 6000km of new main line and 1000km
of new local line construction, 3000km of track doubling of existing lines,
track upgrading, 6000km of electrification, and the purchase and
refurbishment of locomotives and rolling stock.

Infrastructure works will swallow about Yuan 270 billion, with the remaining
Yuan 80 billion used to purchase and upgrade locomotives, passenger coaches,
and freight wagons. New line construction will add about 7000km to the
network, taking it to 75,000km. Of that total, 25,000km will be double or
multiple track (compared with 21,500km in 2000), and more than 20,000km will
be electrified (compared with 14,600km in 2000).

The development of eight north-south and eight east-west corridors is at the
heart of the five-year plan. The eight north-south corridors, or the eight
verticals as the Chinese call them, include the 1300km Beijing--Shanghai
high-speed line, and the following:
• Beijing--Harbin corridor including the Qinhuangdao--Shenyang dedicated
passenger line
• the coastal corridor from Shenyang to Guangzhou via the Dalian--Yantai
train ferry
• the Beijing--Nanchang--Shenzhen--Kowloon corridor
• the Beijing--Wuhan--Guangzhou corridor including a second Wuhan rail
bridge over the Yangtze river
• the
Datong--Taiyuan--Jiaozuo--Luoyang--Shimen--Yiyang--Yongzhou--Liuzhou--Zhanji
ang corridor
• the Baotou--Xi'an--Chongqing--Guiyang--Liuzhou corridor, and
• the Lanzhou--Chengdu--Kunming corridor.

The eight east-west, or eight horizontals, are:
• the Beijing--Hohhot--Lanzhou--Lhasa corridor including new construction
from Golmud to Lhasa
• the north coal corridor (Datong--Qinhuangdao, Shenmu--Huanghua)
• the south coal corridor (Taiyuan--Dezhou, Changzhi--Jinan--Qingdao,
Houma--Yueshan--Xinxiang--Yanzhou--Rizhao)
• the continental landbridge (Lianyungang--Lanzhou--Urumqi--Alataw Shankou)
• the Xi'an--Nanning corridor
• the Yangtze river corridor
(Chongqing--Wuhan--Jiujiang--Wuhu--Nanjing--Shanghai)
• the Shanghai--Zhuzhou--Huaihua--Gui-yang--Kunming corridor, and
• the southwest corridor linking Kunming, Nanning, and Litang with the port
of Zhanjiang.

In addition, the plan includes developing the regional railway network,
constructing Shanghai South rail station, electrifying the Shimen--Huaihua
section of the Jiaozuo--Liuzhou line, and constructing the Ganzhou--Longyan
and Yongzhou--Yulin (or Maoming) railways.

--
Regards,

Helmut Uttenthaler
Graz - Austria

Patrick Bonacker

May 31, 2002, 7:50:16 AM5/31/02
Hallo,

on Tue, 28 May 2002 23:01:26 +0200, "Helmut Uttenthaler"
<ut...@sbox.tugraz.at> wrote:

>from http://www.railjournal.com/altfeature1.shtml
>
>China Spends Its Way Out Of Capacity Problems

[...]

>The development of eight north-south and eight east-west corridors is at the
>heart of the five-year plan. The eight north-south corridors, or the eight
>verticals as the Chinese call them, include the 1300km Beijing--Shanghai
>high-speed line, and the following:

[...]

>• the coastal corridor from Shenyang to Guangzhou via the Dalian--Yantai
>train ferry

Yantai - Guangzhou how? (along the very coast?)

>• the Beijing--Nanchang--Shenzhen--Kowloon corridor

Almost completely new? (New Yangtze bridge at Jiujiang or so?)

[...]

>• the
>Datong--Taiyuan--Jiaozuo--Luoyang--Shimen--Yiyang--Yongzhou--Liuzhou--Zhanji
>ang corridor

Already existing. What's the plan about it?

>• the Baotou--Xi'an--Chongqing--Guiyang--Liuzhou corridor, and

Baotiu-Xian and part of Xian-Chongqing (high mountains!) will be new?

[...]

>The eight east-west, or eight horizontals, are:

[...]

>• the north coal corridor (Datong--Qinhuangdao, Shenmu--Huanghua)

Shenmu? Huanghua? I found only small towns in my map. Why this line?

>• the south coal corridor (Taiyuan--Dezhou, Changzhi--Jinan--Qingdao,
>Houma--Yueshan--Xinxiang--Yanzhou--Rizhao)

Houma--Yueshan--Xinxiang new line crossing mountains?

>• the continental landbridge (Lianyungang--Lanzhou--Urumqi--Alataw Shankou)

Alataw Shankou?

>• the Xi'an--Nanning corridor

Really Nanning? That would be north-south! Maybe, Nanjing?

>• the Yangtze river corridor
>(Chongqing--Wuhan--Jiujiang--Wuhu--Nanjing--Shanghai)

On the right bank? What about the new dam? Western part Chongqing -
Jiangling will be difficult.

>• the Shanghai--Zhuzhou--Huaihua--Gui-yang--Kunming corridor, and

Existing?

>• the southwest corridor linking Kunming, Nanning, and Litang with the port
>of Zhanjiang.

New line Kunming - Nanning?

Patrick

Helmut Uttenthaler

Jun 1, 2002, 5:27:45 AM6/1/02

"Patrick Bonacker" <pat...@bonacker-imberkh.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >. the Beijing--Nanchang--Shenzhen--Kowloon corridor

> Almost completely new? (New Yangtze bridge at Jiujiang or so?)

This new 2370km long line (126 tunnels which total 576km in length) has been
already built between 1992 and 1997.
It is still not electrified.

> >the
>
>Datong--Taiyuan--Jiaozuo--Luoyang--Shimen--Yiyang--Yongzhou--Liuzhou--Zhanj

> >ang corridor
>
> Already existing. What's the plan about it?

Double-tracking, electrification,...?

> >the Baotou--Xi'an--Chongqing--Guiyang--Liuzhou corridor, and
>
> Baotiu-Xian and part of Xian-Chongqing (high mountains!) will be new?

AFAIK a new Xian - Ankang line (247 km, 18 km-tinnel through the Qinling
mountrains) is under construction.
I don't know of a new line Baotou - Xi'an, I think this corridor uses
existing lines (baotou - Zhongwei - Baoji - Xian)

> >. the south coal corridor (Taiyuan--Dezhou, Changzhi--Jinan--Qingdao,

> >Houma--Yueshan--Xinxiang--Yanzhou--Rizhao)
>
> Houma--Yueshan--Xinxiang new line crossing mountains?

Some more information from RWG 1995-12:

COALCORRIDOR

Work began on the Hou-Yue Rai1way in 1989, and the first phase should be
complete by the end of this year. It forms an important transport corridor
for the coalfields in Shaanxi province, and is of particular significance to
the development of new coal mines at Jincheng. Construction projects in the
energy and chemical industries in Shaanxi province also stand to benefit, so
contributing to the economic development of east and south central China.
The railway is the key link in another east-west trunk route from Xian in
the west to Shijiusuo port on the east coast Jt parallels the Long-Hai
(Lianyungang- Lanzhou) Railway and connects into the Houma - Xi'an majn line
at its western end. In the east it teeds into the Xin-Jiao Jiaozuo -
Xinxiang Ijne, with connections to main lines serving Heze, Yanzhou and
Shijiusuo. It runs through the provinces of Shangdong, Henan, and Shaanxi.

The alignment begins in the west at Houma North marshalljng yard on the
South Tong-Pu (Taiyuan - Fenglingdu) Railway From there it strikes east on
the alignment of the Erfengshan Industriai Railway, and then runs via Quwo,
Yicheng and Xinshui to reach Duanshi, Jiafeng and Yangcheng. There is a link
with the Jiao-Zhi (Jiaozuo - Zhicheng) Railway at Liandong, and after
passjng through Pangusi station in Jiyuan City, the line finally reaches the
Yueshan marshalling yard on the Jingo-Zhi Railway.

The project presented our engineers with a major challenge, and the result
is a series of magnificent structures. Bridges and tunnels account for 30%
of the entire line, most of them are concentrated in the Xinhe river valley.
There were 27.5 million m3 of earthworks, and 70 major and medium bridges
had to be built There are 50 tunnels.

> >. the continental landbridge (Lianyungang--Lanzhou--Urumqi--Alataw
Shankou)

> Alataw Shankou?

Border to Kazakhstan.

> >. the Xi'an--Nanning corridor

> Really Nanning? That would be north-south! Maybe, Nanjing?

Maybe.

> >. the Yangtze river corridor

> >(Chongqing--Wuhan--Jiujiang--Wuhu--Nanjing--Shanghai)
>
> On the right bank? What about the new dam?

Maybe a rail-ferry?

> >. the Shanghai--Zhuzhou--Huaihua--Gui-yang--Kunming corridor, and
>
> Existing?

Yep, but this might be upgraded.

> >. the southwest corridor linking Kunming, Nanning, and Litang with the

port
> >of Zhanjiang.
>
> New line Kunming - Nanning?

This line already exists, it has been opened some years ago.

Ulf Kutzner

Mar 19, 2021, 4:01:58 AM3/19/21
Patrick Bonacker schrieb am Freitag, 31. Mai 2002 um 13:50:16 UTC+2:

> on Tue, 28 May 2002 23:01:26 +0200, "Helmut Uttenthaler"
> <ut...@sbox.tugraz.at> wrote:
> >from http://www.railjournal.com/altfeature1.shtml
> >
> >China Spends Its Way Out Of Capacity Problems
> [...]
> >The development of eight north-south and eight east-west corridors is at the
> >heart of the five-year plan. The eight north-south corridors, or the eight
> >verticals as the Chinese call them, include the 1300km Beijing--Shanghai
> >high-speed line, and the following:
> [...]
> >• the coastal corridor from Shenyang to Guangzhou via the Dalian--Yantai
> >train ferry
> Yantai - Guangzhou how? (along the very coast?)
> >• the Beijing--Nanchang--Shenzhen--Kowloon corridor
> Almost completely new? (New Yangtze bridge at Jiujiang or so?)

As you mentioned Yangtze, there was a river train ferry on a quite new
line until 2019:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinyi%E2%80%93Changxing_railway

Regards, ULF