Passenger rail ferries, was: Re: Istanbul-Teheran (Re: Talgo Astana-Almaty)

David Eerdmans

Jan 17, 2004, 6:27:09 PM1/17/04

Helmut Uttenthaler <helmut.ut...@gmx.at> disagreed:

> "P.L.Guillemin" <plgui...@hotmail.com> answered:
>

> > David Eerdmans <usen...@xs4all.nl> asked:
>
> > > Teheran - Istanbul? Do those cars go on a rail ferry across lake Van?
> >
> > Yes they do.
>
> No, they don't.

Which passenger rail ferries do still exist in the world? So ferries where
passenger trains are transported. I am aware of the Vogelfluglinie Germany
- Denmark and the ferries from mainland Italy to Sicily. Any others?

Regards & X-post,
David

Lennart Petersen

Jan 17, 2004, 6:50:08 PM1/17/04

"David Eerdmans" <usen...@xs4all.nl> skrev i meddelandet
Trelleborg-Sassnitz Fährhafen (ex Mukran) with one night train Malmö-Berlin
is still remaining.
If there's no cars brought with the train ferries over Lake Van I'm afraid
we have found the only three remaining.
As I can remember a luggage car was brought with the train ferry
Picton-Wellington but no passenger cars. Elsinore-Helsingborg disappeared
with the Öresund bridge, so did the internal Danish Korsör-Nyborg with the
Belt bridge construction.
Pacu Cua-Posada (Paraguay-Argentina) disappeared with a bridge construction.
A possibility is a reopening of Gedser-Warnemünde as there have been some
talks about a Copenhagen-Berlin train .
L.P

David Eerdmans

Jan 17, 2004, 7:42:02 PM1/17/04

Lennart Petersen <lennart....@swipnet.se> wrote in article
<QSjOb.45120$mU6.1...@newsb.telia.net>...

> "David Eerdmans" <usen...@xs4all.nl> skrev i meddelandet
>

> > Which passenger rail ferries do still exist in the world? So ferries
where
> > passenger trains are transported. I am aware of the Vogelfluglinie
Germany
> > - Denmark and the ferries from mainland Italy to Sicily. Any others?
>

> Trelleborg-Sassnitz Fährhafen (ex Mukran) with one night train
Malmö-Berlin
> is still remaining.

Of course, I knew about that one. I can't find it in Hafas though... Does
it go on the ferry at night? Are passengers allowed to stay on the trains
during the ferry ride? I was a little suprised it was allowed on the
Vogelfluglinie where the train is on the car deck; usually passengers
aren't allowed on the car deck on large RoRo ferries.

> If there's no cars brought with the train ferries over Lake Van I'm
afraid
> we have found the only three remaining.
> As I can remember a luggage car was brought with the train ferry
> Picton-Wellington but no passenger cars.

Never been a passenger train ferry in NZ?

> Elsinore-Helsingborg disappeared
> with the Öresund bridge, so did the internal Danish Korsör-Nyborg with
the
> Belt bridge construction.

I once took that ferry in the 80's. IIRC several trains boarded the ferry
at once; there were several tracks which each had a number. IIRC there even
where platform indicators above the stairs to the rail deck.

> Pacu Cua-Posada (Paraguay-Argentina) disappeared with a bridge
construction.
> A possibility is a reopening of Gedser-Warnemünde as there have been some
> talks about a Copenhagen-Berlin train .

Thanks for the information.

Regards,
David

Lennart Petersen

Jan 17, 2004, 8:54:21 PM1/17/04

> > Trelleborg-Sassnitz Fährhafen (ex Mukran) with one night train
> Malmö-Berlin
> > is still remaining.
>
> Of course, I knew about that one. I can't find it in Hafas though...
Possibly Bahn-Hafas omits that train because Berlin Night express is a
company independent from DB, it's a daughter company to SJ.
Somewhat strange though as it was DB:s decision to discontinue the
connection Malmö-Berlin.
http://www.berlin-night-express.com/en/morning.html

Does
> it go on the ferry at night?

Yes 22:30-02:15 South, 03:15-07:00 North

Are passengers allowed to stay on the trains
> during the ferry ride? I was a little suprised it was allowed on the
> Vogelfluglinie where the train is on the car deck; usually passengers
> aren't allowed on the car deck on large RoRo ferries.

Yes, strange but AFAIK passengers have always been allowed to remain in
railway cars on the ferries, or leave for the restaurants and reenter. And
that's also if it's the typical mixed car and rail ferry.
best regards L.P

Hatunen

Jan 18, 2004, 12:56:49 AM1/18/04
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:50:08 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
<lennart....@swipnet.se> wrote:

>"David Eerdmans" <usen...@xs4all.nl> skrev i meddelandet

>> Which passenger rail ferries do still exist in the world? So ferries where

>> passenger trains are transported. I am aware of the Vogelfluglinie Germany
>> - Denmark and the ferries from mainland Italy to Sicily. Any others?
>>

>Trelleborg-Sassnitz Fährhafen (ex Mukran) with one night train Malmö-Berlin
>is still remaining.
>If there's no cars brought with the train ferries over Lake Van I'm afraid
>we have found the only three remaining.
>As I can remember a luggage car was brought with the train ferry
>Picton-Wellington but no passenger cars. Elsinore-Helsingborg disappeared
>with the Öresund bridge, so did the internal Danish Korsör-Nyborg with the
>Belt bridge construction.
>Pacu Cua-Posada (Paraguay-Argentina) disappeared with a bridge construction.
>A possibility is a reopening of Gedser-Warnemünde as there have been some
>talks about a Copenhagen-Berlin train .

Isn't the Puttgarden-Rydby ferry still operating?

************* DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@cox.net) *************

Helmut Uttenthaler

Jan 18, 2004, 4:35:21 AM1/18/04

"David Eerdmans" <usen...@xs4all.nl> schrieb

>> Trelleborg-Sassnitz Fährhafen (ex Mukran) with one night train
>> Malmö-Berlin is still remaining.
>
> Of course, I knew about that one. I can't find it in Hafas though...

The train has a winter break between 2004-01-06 and 2004-03-07. See
http://www.berlin-night-express.com/cgi-bin/tidtabell.cgi?sprak=en

--
Helmut Uttenthaler,
Graz

David Eerdmans

Jan 18, 2004, 6:44:34 AM1/18/04

Hatunen <hatu...@cox.net> wrote in article
<0v7k00tmmgvhq2hpf...@4ax.com>...

That's the Vogelfluglinie I was talking about.

Regards,
David

Piotr

Jan 18, 2004, 12:26:09 PM1/18/04
> > Teheran - Istanbul? Do those cars go on a rail ferry across lake
Van?

> > Yes they do.

No. Only baggage car is carried on ferry.
Some photos of Van rail ferry You can find here:
http://213.227.74.130/~pet/turcja.htm

regards
Peter

Ulf Kutzner

Jan 20, 2004, 5:31:39 AM1/20/04
Piotr schrieb:

When did the passenger service on the Poland<-> Sweden ferry operate?

Regards and f'up2, ULF

bras...@despammed.com

Feb 24, 2004, 2:43:39 PM2/24/04

Afte reading through the discussion about 1 month ago about the several
rail passenger ferries in operation in Europe and elsewhere, I can help
but wonder:

How many rail ferries are there in operation for freight service?

I know about the Alaska Railroad's operation between Seward and Seattle,
Washington. It is their only connection to the outside world.

I think there is at least occasional service in Canada between the Quebec
North Shore & Labrador and the rest of the Canadian system someplace, but
I am not sure exactly where.

I understand that there might be some service operating somewhere in
Russia or one of the ex-Soviet republics (Lake Baikal?).

New Zealand must have some sort of connection for moving cars between the
two islands from time to time.

What else?

--
-Glenn Laubaugh
Personal Web Site: http://users.easystreet.com/glennl

James Robinson

Feb 24, 2004, 11:58:32 PM2/24/04
"bras...@despammed.com" wrote:

> I know about the Alaska Railroad's operation between Seward and Seattle,
> Washington. It is their only connection to the outside world.

Alaska Hydrotrain operates between Whittier and Seattle. Aquatrain
operates between Whittier and a connection with CN at Prince Rupert.
Both are regular carfloat services.

> I think there is at least occasional service in Canada between the Quebec
> North Shore & Labrador and the rest of the Canadian system someplace, but
> I am not sure exactly where.

There is a railcar ferry across the St. Lawrence River between Matane
and a paper mill at Baie Comeau. There is no regular service to the
QNS&L at Sept Iles. Any railroad equipment has to be brought in by
chartered ships.

Here are some others:

- A carfloat across Chesapeake Bay from Cape Charles on the Delmarva
Peninsula to Norfolk, VA.

- A carfloat across New York Harbor for freight access to Long Island.

- A carfloat between Vancouver and North Vancouver for BNSF traffic to
BC Rail.

John R Cambron

Feb 25, 2004, 12:10:58 AM2/25/04

Eastern Shore Railroad operates a car float across the Chesapeake
Bay between Cape Charles and Norfork Virginia. Most of the loads
are coal for the power plant in Seaford Delaware and grain for
the feed mills that serve the poultry industry.

Ever wanted one of these John R Cambron
http://205.130.220.18/~cambronj/wmata/ or >>>Hebron<<< MD USA
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wmata/ camb...@chesapeake.net

Timo Valtonen

Feb 25, 2004, 12:38:58 AM2/25/04
<bras...@despammed.com> wrote in message

> I understand that there might be some service operating somewhere in
> Russia or one of the ex-Soviet republics (Lake Baikal?).
Ferries and even trains on ice were used before the railroad around Lake
Baikal was built. I don't think there are any train carryimg ferries there
any more, Other services in the former USSR:
see http://parovoz.com/spravka/ferries-e.html

> New Zealand must have some sort of connection for moving cars between the
> two islands from time to time.
Busy traffic between the North and South Islands. Mixed passenger, car and
rail services.
see http://www.tranzrail.co.nz/home.aspx

> What else?
On the Baltic See there are daily services between Turku (Finland) and
Stockholm (Sweden) as well as 6 weekly services between Turku and Travemünde
(Germany). These are mixed services as well.
see: http://www.vr.fi/cargo/cargoe01.htm
There are rail ferries also in Denmark and between Germany and Sweden.

Timo

Henning Makholm

Feb 25, 2004, 4:53:39 AM2/25/04
Scripsit "Timo Valtonen" <timo.valtonen@***saunalahti.fi>

> There are rail ferries also in Denmark

They don't carry freight trains anymore. And strictly speaking, they
are not "in" Denmark - our only surviving rail ferry connection is the
one between Rødby (Denmark) and Puttgarden (Germany).

--
Henning Makholm "De kan rejse hid og did i verden nok så flot
Og er helt fortrolig med alverdens militær"

Ulf Kutzner

Feb 25, 2004, 7:19:50 AM2/25/04
Henning Makholm schrieb:

> Scripsit "Timo Valtonen" <timo.valtonen@***saunalahti.fi>
>
> > There are rail ferries also in Denmark
>
> They don't carry freight trains anymore. And strictly speaking, they
> are not "in" Denmark - our only surviving rail ferry connection is the
> one between Rødby (Denmark) and Puttgarden (Germany).

Gedser - Warnemünde is closed?

Well, I shall ad ferries to Sicily (domestic Italian services).

I also heard about a rail ferry in Africa.

Regards, ULF

Henning Makholm

Feb 25, 2004, 7:24:32 AM2/25/04
Scripsit Ulf Kutzner <kutz...@mail.zdv.uni-mainz.de>
> Henning Makholm schrieb:

> > They don't carry freight trains anymore. And strictly speaking, they
> > are not "in" Denmark - our only surviving rail ferry connection is the
> > one between Rødby (Denmark) and Puttgarden (Germany).

> Gedser - Warnemünde is closed?

There are still ferries from Gedser (to Rostock rather than Warnemünde
these days, AFAIR), but they do not carry rail vehicles.

(In fact, railway service to Gedser has been effectively nonexistent
for many years now. There is a single passenger train a day at an
impossible time, solely such that the the line will not formally count
as abandoned).

--
Henning Makholm "It was intended to compile from some approximation to
the M-notation, but the M-notation was never fully defined,

Lennart Petersen

Feb 25, 2004, 9:42:16 AM2/25/04

<bras...@despammed.com> skrev i meddelandet

> Afte reading through the discussion about 1 month ago about the several
> rail passenger ferries in operation in Europe and elsewhere, I can help
> but wonder:
>
> How many rail ferries are there in operation for freight service?

There are many such services left
a few are
Stockholm-Turku
Ystad-Swinoujscie
Turku-Germany
Civitavecchia-Olbia (Sicily)
Various ferries over the Black Sea and Caspian sea
Picton-Wellington (pass rail coaches aren't transferred but the luggage car)

daRkSidE

Feb 25, 2004, 2:22:41 PM2/25/04
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:42:16 GMT, *Lennart Petersen* wrote:

>> How many rail ferries are there in operation for freight service?
>>
> There are many such services left
> a few are
> Stockholm-Turku
> Ystad-Swinoujscie
> Turku-Germany
> Civitavecchia-Olbia (Sicily)

Civitavecchia-Olbia is to Sardinia and I'm not sure at there are any
rail ferries. For sure, there are rail ferries between Sicily and
Calabria (Villa San Giovanni-Messina).

Crosspost su: misc.transport.rail.europe,
misc.transport.rail.misc,
misc.transport.rail.americas,
misc.transport.rail.australia-nz
Follow-up su: misc.transport.rail.europe
--
25/02/2004 19.20.13, daRkSidE
Su it.news.annunci CFV in corso per it.comp.software.editor

Piotr

Feb 25, 2004, 3:20:09 PM2/25/04
> > How many rail ferries are there in operation for freight service?
> >
> There are many such services left
> a few are
> Stockholm-Turku
> Ystad-Swinoujscie
> Turku-Germany
> Civitavecchia-Olbia (Sicily)
> Various ferries over the Black Sea and Caspian sea

And Van-Tatvan in Turkey (Van Lake).

Peter
www.pet.any.pl

Toma Bacic

Feb 25, 2004, 3:21:38 PM2/25/04

"Lennart Petersen" <lennart....@swipnet.se> wrote in message

Lake Van in Turkey?

toma

Brian Williams

Feb 25, 2004, 5:48:45 PM2/25/04

"Toma Bacic" <toma....@zg.tel.hr> wrote in message

Does anyone know if the train ferry across the Rhone that served
Salin-de-Giraud is still extant ? When we used the adjacent road ferry about
25 years ago, it used to serve the Salins de Midi plant. IIRC, both ferries
were cable hauled.
Brian

bras...@despammed.com

Feb 25, 2004, 11:04:27 AM2/25/04
In article <403C92E6...@mail.zdv.uni-mainz.de>, Ulf Kutzner
<kutz...@mail.zdv.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

> I also heard about a rail ferry in Africa.

Possibly that is the Tanzania service operating on Lake Victoria. I've
heard of it, but the last mention I find in my railroad book collection is
in 1979. When I was in Uganda this past July, I found that there were
several trains a day in the Kampala area, but it appeared that a lot of
stuff was containerized. I'm therefore wondering if the ferry service no
longer moves actual freight cars, but instead moves containers only.

Timo Valtonen

Feb 26, 2004, 1:33:04 AM2/26/04
"Timo Valtonen" <timo.valtonen@***saunalahti.fi> wrote in message

> <bras...@despammed.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I understand that there might be some service operating somewhere in
> > Russia or one of the ex-Soviet republics (Lake Baikal?).
> Ferries and even trains on ice were used before the railroad around Lake
> Baikal was built. I don't think there are any train carryimg ferries there
> any more, Other services in the former USSR:
> see http://parovoz.com/spravka/ferries-e.html

The original version of the page in russian is more comprihensive.
http://parovoz.com/spravka/ferries.html

Use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ for rough translation.

tv

Roderick Smith

Feb 26, 2004, 8:25:21 AM2/26/04
There is one over Bosphorus in Istanbul, and a new one in China to Hainan.
I photographed one on the mg system in Bangladesh in Jan.03.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Brian Williams <bhwil...@spamstop.letrax.demon.co.uk> wrote in article

> "Toma Bacic" <toma....@zg.tel.hr> wrote in message

> > "Lennart Petersen" <lennart....@swipnet.se> wrote in message

Someone:

Graeme Wall

Feb 25, 2004, 4:27:39 PM2/25/04
In message <403C92E6...@mail.zdv.uni-mainz.de>
Ulf Kutzner <kutz...@mail.zdv.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

There are (or used to be) rail ferries on Lake Victoria transferring freight
cars between Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika. Not sure if any are still
operating but one was still working 2 years ago

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Timo Valtonen

Feb 26, 2004, 3:27:40 PM2/26/04
"Hans-Joachim Zierke" <Usenet...@Zierke.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the thorough information on train ferries on the Baltic Sea!

> used the same arrangement. Here is Railship III:
> http://www.ship-photo.de/modules/myalbum/photos/548.jpg
> Due to the onboard arrangement of tracks, the railships could take both
> 1435 and 1520 mm gauge cars.

This dual gauge track layout seems unnecessary, as the gauge change of cars
is done in Finland, now in Turku, before in Hanko. Is there some reason I
have missed?

(Actually the gauge in Finland is 1524 mm, the Russians lost 4 mm from the
old Imperial standard in the Red Revolution. The trains don't seem to mind
it. They just roll over the border constantly back and forth.)

Timo

M Mellor

Mar 1, 2004, 6:12:11 AM3/1/04

"Lennart Petersen" <lennart....@swipnet.se> wrote in message

Picton-Wellington passengers' luggage is carried in road trucks, not by
rail.

Mike

M Mellor

Mar 1, 2004, 6:13:35 AM3/1/04

<bras...@despammed.com> wrote in message

There is/was also a train ferry across Lake Titicaca between Puno (Peru) &
Guaqui (Bolivia).

Mike

Michael Ellison

Mar 1, 2004, 8:46:58 AM3/1/04
there is a list of train ferries at

http://www.rinbad.demon.co.uk/trnferry.htm

which may be of interest

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:12:11 +1300, "M Mellor" <mme...@free.net.nz>

randee

Mar 2, 2004, 8:59:53 PM3/2/04
There used to be several car floats across Lake Michigan. do any of
those still exist?

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

James Robinson

Mar 3, 2004, 9:10:24 AM3/3/04
randee wrote:

> There used to be several car floats across Lake Michigan. do any of
> those still exist?

None. The Badger, which was originally a railcar ferry, only handles
passengers and road vehicles now. It is the last of the original ships
still sailing.

Farther north, the Chief Wawatam sailed across the Straits of Mackinac
until 1984.

There was also the rail carfloat between Sarnia and Port Huron, which
operated until the new rail tunnel under the River was opened in 1995.

A rail car ferry operated between Detroit and Windsor until 1994.

Steve Murray

Mar 5, 2004, 3:50:41 PM3/5/04
James Robinson <was...@212.com> wrote in news:403C2B83...@212.com:

> "bras...@despammed.com" wrote:
>>
>> I know about the Alaska Railroad's operation between Seward and
>> Seattle, Washington. It is their only connection to the outside
>> world.
>
> Alaska Hydrotrain operates between Whittier and Seattle. Aquatrain
> operates between Whittier and a connection with CN at Prince Rupert.
> Both are regular carfloat services.
>

> - A carfloat between Vancouver and North Vancouver for BNSF traffic to
> BC Rail.

The barge between Seattle and ARR is still running, but is no longer called
the Hydrotrain. It now is operated by Crowley.

And the barge connecting BC Rail no longer operates. It got cut around the
same time they eliminated their passenger services.

Finally, there is the Central Gulf (CGR) operating from New Orleans to
Coatzacoalcos, Mexico. They sail about 15 times a month.

Steve M.
Seattle, USA

B.Rumary

Mar 5, 2004, 7:02:02 PM3/5/04
Toma Bacic wrote:

> Lake Van in Turkey?

It is in the far south-east of the country and was to connect the
Turkish rail system to that of Iran. Don't know if it still operates.

Brian Rumary, England

http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm

bras...@despammed.com

Mar 5, 2004, 1:22:01 PM3/5/04
In article <Xns94A3A12D9B1E...@216.168.3.50>, Steve Murray
<mur...@seanet.com> wrote:

> And the barge connecting BC Rail no longer operates. It got cut around the
> same time they eliminated their passenger services.

What about Vancouver Island? I know that there was an effort to start
tourist railroad service on the island with some cars from Ohio, so there
must be at least some special service operating between the two. I assume
that since there is almost no rail operation on Vancouver Island any more,
that regular barge services have also ceased.

Piotr

Mar 6, 2004, 12:50:08 PM3/6/04
> > Lake Van in Turkey?
> >
> It is in the far south-east of the country and was to connect the
> Turkish rail system to that of Iran. Don't know if it still operates.

Rail ferry between Tatvan and Van still operate.
Here You're a few foto from Van(october 2003):
http://213.227.74.130/~pet/turcja.htm

Peter
www.pet.any.pl

Graeme Wall

Mar 6, 2004, 5:09:16 PM3/6/04
In message <brasil98-050...@69-30-9-124.pxd.easystreet.com>
bras...@despammed.com (bras...@despammed.com) wrote:

> In article <Xns94A3A12D9B1E...@216.168.3.50>, Steve Murray
> <mur...@seanet.com> wrote:
>
> > And the barge connecting BC Rail no longer operates. It got cut around
> > the same time they eliminated their passenger services.
>

> What about Vancouver Island? I know that there was an effort to start
> tourist railroad service on the island with some cars from Ohio, so there
> must be at least some special service operating between the two. I assume
> that since there is almost no rail operation on Vancouver Island any more,
> that regular barge services have also ceased.

I remember seeing a barge loaded with tank cars going up Lord Howe Sound a
few years back, what service would that have been?

Mike Roebuck

Mar 8, 2004, 9:31:22 AM3/8/04
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:12:46 +0000 (UTC), Hans-Joachim Zierke
<Usenet...@Zierke.com> wrote:

>Such 5-track ferry bridges
>http://www.mvbnet.de/news/aktuelles/aeltere_informationen/oktober/f1000005.1.jpg
>are a major infrastructure expense for a harbour, which is the reason why
>not every harbour with rail connection is going to do it.

The technical English term for those "ferry bridges" is "linkspans",
Hajo - just thought you'd like to know.

When the harbour is tidal, use of them can get very interesting indeed
:-)

--
Regards

Mike

mikedotroebuckatgmxdotnet

M Mellor

Mar 8, 2004, 4:24:46 PM3/8/04

"B.Rumary" <brian....@virgin.net> wrote in message

> Toma Bacic wrote:
>
> > Lake Van in Turkey?
> >
> It is in the far south-east of the country and was to connect the
> Turkish rail system to that of Iran. Don't know if it still operates.

In the Nov-Dec 2003 Thomas Cook International Timetable it's shown as
operating once daily in each direction between Van and Tatvan (75km), taking
4 hours. It conveys Transaysa/Transasya (Mr Cook uses both names) Express
(tr 11512/51511) Tehran - Haydarpasa
1st class sleepers and restaurant car once a week, and also once-weekly
Halab - Van 2nd class coaches and a restaurant car (tr 51513/61573).

Wonder if the restaurant cars are open during the voyage?

Mike

Phil Richards

Mar 8, 2004, 5:46:26 PM3/8/04
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:24:46 +1300 M Mellor <mme...@free.net.nz> said...

> In the Nov-Dec 2003 Thomas Cook International Timetable it's shown as
> operating once daily in each direction between Van and Tatvan (75km), taking
> 4 hours. It conveys Transaysa/Transasya (Mr Cook uses both names) Express
> (tr 11512/51511) Tehran - Haydarpasa
> 1st class sleepers and restaurant car once a week, and also once-weekly
> Halab - Van 2nd class coaches and a restaurant car (tr 51513/61573).
>
> Wonder if the restaurant cars are open during the voyage?

According to the very well researched Seat 61 site, passenger carriages
of the "through" Istanbul to Tehran service are not transported on the
ferry:

http://www.seat61.com/Iran.htm

--
Phil Richards, London, UK

James Robinson

Mar 9, 2004, 10:08:08 AM3/9/04
Steve Murray wrote:

> James Robinson <was...@212.com> wrote in news:403C2B83...@212.com:
>
> > Alaska Hydrotrain operates between Whittier and Seattle.
> >
> > - A carfloat between Vancouver and North Vancouver for BNSF traffic to
> > BC Rail.
>
> The barge between Seattle and ARR is still running, but is no longer called
> the Hydrotrain. It now is operated by Crowley.

In looking around for updated information, I ran across the following
announcement:

http://www.petroleumnews.com/pnarch/010228-70.html

It appears that three years ago the Alaska Railroad ended the
arrangement with Crowley, who had been operating the barge service for
the previous 35 years under the market name of Hydrotrain. The railroad
went to bid for new barges, and now contracts to Alaska Railbelt Marine,
an operating division of Lynden, Inc. for the service. Western Towboat
provides the towing service.

They have an interesting animation on loading the barges on their web
site:

http://www.arm.lynden.com/

I wonder if they really do load the tracks from one side to the other?

> And the barge connecting BC Rail no longer operates. It got cut around the
> same time they eliminated their passenger services.

I note in a submission by BC Rail to the Canadian Government in October
2000, that there was a railcar barge link between North Vancouver and
Seattle to connect with the Union Pacific. Anyone know if that still
operates?

http://www.reviewcta-examenltc.gc.ca/Submissions-Soumissions/Txt/British%20Columbia%20Railway%20Company.txt

> Finally, there is the Central Gulf (CGR) operating from New Orleans to
> Coatzacoalcos, Mexico. They sail about 15 times a month.

It appears to run from Mobile, AL.

http://www.americanshipper.com/paid/JAN01/isc_to_offer.asp
http://www.cgrailway.com/CGR_Services.htm

There is a bit of history on railcar ferries to Mexican ports on the
following link:

http://www.americanshipper.com/paid/MAY01/where_the_rail.asp

They suggest that there is also a regular service between Mobile and
Puerto Rico for tank cars.

James Robinson

Mar 9, 2004, 11:47:22 AM3/9/04
"bras...@despammed.com" wrote:

> What about Vancouver Island? I know that there was an effort to start
> tourist railroad service on the island with some cars from Ohio, so there
> must be at least some special service operating between the two. I assume
> that since there is almost no rail operation on Vancouver Island any more,
> that regular barge services have also ceased.

Seaspan, which is part of the Dennis Washington empire, took over the
operation of what was the Canadian Pacific Coastal service. The railcar
ferries handled both trucks and railcars, and their web page advertises
scheduled service, so I presume they will still handle the occasional
railcar:

http://www.coastalintermodal.com/

They also have a fleet of railcar barges that they could use:

http://www.seaspan.com/fleet.asp?MainCategoryID=3&SubCategoryID=6#list
http://www.seaspan.com/fleet.asp?MainCategoryID=3&SubCategoryID=16#list

Steve Murray

Mar 9, 2004, 1:24:36 PM3/9/04

> It appears that three years ago the Alaska Railroad ended the
> arrangement with Crowley, who had been operating the barge service for
> the previous 35 years under the market name of Hydrotrain. The
> railroad went to bid for new barges, and now contracts to Alaska
> Railbelt Marine, an operating division of Lynden, Inc. for the
> service. Western Towboat provides the towing service.
>
> They have an interesting animation on loading the barges on their web
> site:
>
> http://www.arm.lynden.com/
>
> I wonder if they really do load the tracks from one side to the other?

Sigh. I really should have my coffee before I start posting these things.
James is, of course, correct. This is now run by ARM (Lynden), not
Crowley. ARR does all the paperwork, and the interchange is in Seattle, by
the way. And, I haven't watched them load/unload recently, but they used
to be very careful in balancing the load. They also have to make sure they
don't place the wrong flavor of haz mat cars next to each other. They,
along with CGR, use our software (www.railcarmgt.com) to do the planning
and loading. Pretty interesting stuff.

>> And the barge connecting BC Rail no longer operates. It got cut
>> around the same time they eliminated their passenger services.
>
> I note in a submission by BC Rail to the Canadian Government in
> October 2000, that there was a railcar barge link between North
> Vancouver and Seattle to connect with the Union Pacific. Anyone know
> if that still operates?
>
> http://www.reviewcta-examenltc.gc.ca/Submissions-Soumissions/Txt/Britis
> h%20Columbia%20Railway%20Company.txt

This is the one in the same I was referring to in my earlier post. The UP
barge to Seattle.

>> Finally, there is the Central Gulf (CGR) operating from New Orleans
>> to Coatzacoalcos, Mexico. They sail about 15 times a month.
>
> It appears to run from Mobile, AL.
>
> http://www.americanshipper.com/paid/JAN01/isc_to_offer.asp
> http://www.cgrailway.com/CGR_Services.htm

Doh! (again) on this. This does, indeed, run from Mobile. Not sure why I
spelled 'Mobile' as 'New Orleans'.

IC, when they tried to buy Ferrosur, went so far as to get a ship for a
planned NO to Coatzacoalcos rail ferry. I was going to get to ride it, so
maybe that's why I'll always think of NO as the origin.

Steve M.
Seattle, USA

Sven Manias

Mar 9, 2004, 5:29:07 PM3/9/04
Newsgroups: misc.transport.rail.europe,misc.transport.rail.misc,misc.transport.rail.americas,misc.transport.rail.australia-nz

In misc.transport.rail.europe M Mellor <mme...@free.net.nz> wrote:

> In the Nov-Dec 2003 Thomas Cook International Timetable it's shown as
> operating once daily in each direction between Van and Tatvan (75km), taking
> 4 hours. It conveys Transaysa/Transasya (Mr Cook uses both names) Express
> (tr 11512/51511) Tehran - Haydarpasa

I'm fairly certain that "Transasya" means, suprisingly, "Trans-Asia".
"Transaysa" must be a typographic error.

Sven
--
Sven Manias * Karlsruhe * Germany
E-Mail: sven....@gmx.de * WWW: http://www.sven-manias.de/

James Robinson

Mar 9, 2004, 9:32:59 PM3/9/04
Steve Murray wrote:

> James Robinson wrote:
>
> > ... there was a railcar barge link between North

> > Vancouver and Seattle to connect with the Union Pacific. Anyone know
> > if that still operates?
>
> This is the one in the same I was referring to in my earlier post. The UP
> barge to Seattle.

In the earlier post I mentioned a carfloat operation from the BNSF slip
in Vancouver to North Vancouver. It allowed the BNSF and CPR to bypass
CN and connect directly to BC Rail. Is that still operating? It was
still running the last time I was in Vancouver, which is a couple of
years ago now.

> >> Finally, there is the Central Gulf (CGR) operating from New Orleans
> >> to Coatzacoalcos, Mexico. They sail about 15 times a month.
> >
> > It appears to run from Mobile, AL.
>

> Doh! (again) on this. This does, indeed, run from Mobile. Not sure why I
> spelled 'Mobile' as 'New Orleans'.

Perhaps because the operator is based in New Orleans.

> IC, when they tried to buy Ferrosur, went so far as to get a ship for a
> planned NO to Coatzacoalcos rail ferry. I was going to get to ride it, so
> maybe that's why I'll always think of NO as the origin.

Wasn't the IC also thinking about a service to Merida (Progreso)?

Ulf Kutzner

Mar 16, 2004, 4:14:31 PM3/16/04
Hans-Joachim Zierke schrieb:

> Timo Valtonen schrieb:

> > This dual gauge track layout seems unnecessary, as the gauge change of cars
> > is done in Finland, now in Turku, before in Hanko. Is there some reason I
> > have missed?
>
> Since there hasn't been another answer, let me provide a guess: The
> railships were built in the days of the Iron Curtain, and if I remember
> right, there were already plans for a railferry to Klaipeda or similar
> locations back then.
>
> In those days, Travemünde, which was located a few miles west of the Iron
> Curtain, would have been the logical West Germany port for it.
>
> Therefore, my assumption is, that they originally planned for more
> services to broad gauge countries. Looking at the map, it won't have been
> outruled to do a stopover along the route.

IIRC, there was a project for 1520 mm in Travemünde but German (or
allied) authories were against.

Regards, ULF

-> mtre

Steve Murray

Mar 17, 2004, 5:01:46 PM3/17/04

>> James Robinson wrote:
>
> In the earlier post I mentioned a carfloat operation from the BNSF
> slip in Vancouver to North Vancouver. It allowed the BNSF and CPR to
> bypass CN and connect directly to BC Rail. Is that still operating?
> It was still running the last time I was in Vancouver, which is a
> couple of years ago now.

This isn't running any longer either, but I haven't been able to dig up any
information about when it stopped. I'll try to remember to look this one.

> Wasn't the IC also thinking about a service to Merida (Progreso)?

Not when I was talking to them. But according to my files they were
thinking about a call at Veracruz as well.

Cheers,
Steve M.
Seattle, USA

James Robinson

Mar 17, 2004, 8:14:25 PM3/17/04
Steve Murray wrote:

> James Robinson wrote:
> >
> > In the earlier post I mentioned a carfloat operation from the BNSF
> > slip in Vancouver to North Vancouver. It allowed the BNSF and CPR to
> > bypass CN and connect directly to BC Rail. Is that still operating?
> > It was still running the last time I was in Vancouver, which is a
> > couple of years ago now.
>
> This isn't running any longer either, but I haven't been able to dig up any
> information about when it stopped. I'll try to remember to look this one.

I saw it running when I was in Vancouver about 2 years ago, so it would
have been dropped since then.

> > Wasn't the IC also thinking about a service to Merida (Progreso)?
>
> Not when I was talking to them. But according to my files they were
> thinking about a call at Veracruz as well.

I think the idea of a Progreso stop was to handle Negro Leon beer, which
is now not available outside of the Yucatan.

Ulf Kutzner

Mar 15, 2021, 6:29:40 AM3/15/21
bras...@despammed.com schrieb am Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2004 um 17:04:27 UTC+1:
> In article <403C92E6...@mail.zdv.uni-mainz.de>, Ulf Kutzner
> <kutz...@mail.zdv.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> > I also heard about a rail ferry in Africa.
> Possibly that is the Tanzania service operating on Lake Victoria. I've
> heard of it, but the last mention I find in my railroad book collection is
> in 1979. When I was in Uganda this past July, I found that there were
> several trains a day in the Kampala area, but it appeared that a lot of
> stuff was containerized. I'm therefore wondering if the ferry service no
> longer moves actual freight cars, but instead moves containers only.

Still mentioned here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Tanzania#Railway_links_with_adjacent_countries

Ulf Kutzner

Mar 15, 2021, 6:40:05 AM3/15/21
Lennart Petersen schrieb am Sonntag, 18. Januar 2004 um 02:54:21 UTC+1:
> "David Eerdmans" <usen...@xs4all.nl> skrev i meddelandet
> > > Trelleborg-Sassnitz Fährhafen (ex Mukran) with one night train
> > Malmö-Berlin
> > > is still remaining.
> >
> > Of course, I knew about that one. I can't find it in Hafas though...
> Possibly Bahn-Hafas omits that train because Berlin Night express is a
> company independent from DB, it's a daughter company to SJ.
> Somewhat strange though as it was DB:s decision to discontinue the
> connection Malmö-Berlin.
> http://www.berlin-night-express.com/en/morning.html
> Does
> > it go on the ferry at night?
> Yes 22:30-02:15 South, 03:15-07:00 North
> Are passengers allowed to stay on the trains
> > during the ferry ride? I was a little suprised it was allowed on the
> > Vogelfluglinie where the train is on the car deck; usually passengers
> > aren't allowed on the car deck on large RoRo ferries.
> Yes, strange but AFAIK passengers have always been allowed to remain in
> railway cars on the ferries, or leave for the restaurants and reenter. And
> that's also if it's the typical mixed car and rail ferry.

Vogelflugline when operated with DMU obliged passengers to leave.

Warnemünde/Rostock - Trelleborg (two lines) had more or less irregular
Swedish service, inculding daytime at rare occasions but German sea accident
authority officially disliked them recently.

All Sweden <-> Germany passenger rail services will operate through Danmark,
using bridges and tunnels, or could maybe operate via Poland if
passenger service resumes on that ferry line.

Regards, ULF

Ulf Kutzner

Mar 15, 2021, 6:59:15 AM3/15/21
Roderick Smith schrieb am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2004 um 14:25:21 UTC+1:
> There is one over Bosphorus in Istanbul, and a new one in China to Hainan.

For tha latter, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangdong%E2%80%93Hainan_railway

Regards, ULF

Ulf Kutzner

Mar 18, 2021, 3:50:08 AM3/18/21
Roderick Smith schrieb am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2004 um 14:25:21 UTC+1:
> There is one over Bosphorus in Istanbul, and a new one in China to Hainan.

They added one more (passengers use it as a normal ferry)
through the Bohai Sea in 2007:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohai_Train_Ferry

Ulf Kutzner

Apr 4, 2023, 10:19:20 AM4/4/23
Roderick Smith schrieb am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2004 um 14:25:21 UTC+1:

> There is one over Bosphorus in Istanbul, and a new one in China to Hainan.

Does the latter still carry passengers in passenger railcars?
Photo taken in 2010:
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%B2%A4%E6%B5%B7%E9%93%81%E8%B7%AF#/media/File:Qiongzhou_Strait_Train_Ferry.jpg

Regards, ULF