LKAB derailment in Narvik 12.03.23

1 view

Robert

Mar 14, 2023, 10:50:37 AM3/14/23
Hi all,

<https://www.gp.se/t%C3%A5g-med-tusentals-ton-svensk-malm-ursp%C3%A5rat-1.94296830>

"A train fully loaded with Swedish iron ore from Kiruna has derailed in
Narvik in northern Norway. Accident investigators are expected to be on
site on Monday, the mining giant LKAB announces.

The locomotive and the wagons at the front remain on the track. But in
total, over 30 of the train's 68 [wagons] have derailed, according to LKAB.

Each wagon is loaded with just over 100 tons of ore, which means that
the entire train takes around 6,800 tons.

According to LKAB, the locomotive driver is doing well and has received
help as per routine. No one was injured, but the damage to the rails
could be significant.

- We have reason to believe that there is extensive damage to the tracks
and the track facility. We are facing extensive work to clear up after
the derailment, says Harry Korslund, press spokesperson at the
state-owned Norwegian railway company Bane Nor, to Norwegian TV2.

The derailment occurred on the Ofotbanen - which is the part of the
Malmbanan that runs in Norway - at around 3pm on Sunday.

There is a stop in train traffic at the station in Narvik and there is
no forecast for when trains can start rolling again.

A locomotive from Kiruna has been sent to the scene to help pull wagons
away.

The ore railway is used by LKAB to transport ore to the ports of Luleå
and Narvik.

LKAB's press manager Anders Lindberg writes on Twitter that the halt in
train traffic means at least twelve cancelled ore trains - which is what
the mining company runs every day towards Narvik.

"We currently do not know when the traffic can be up and running and
what this means for our deliveries, but it is of course very unfortunate
for us," he writes.

The reason for the derailment is unclear. Investigators from Norway's
accident commission are expected to arrive at lunchtime on Monday,
according to Anders Lindberg."

Cheers,
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational