Railways situation in Greece

Marc Van Dyck

May 11, 2012, 7:01:59 PM5/11/12
We all know that international trains to and from Greece have
been (temporarily?) cancelled.

But what is the situation regarding domestic traffic ? On the lines
where international trains used to run, are there still domestic
trains available ? Or have they all been cancelled too ? Do we still
have trains from Thessaloniki to Alexandropoulis and Idomeni ?

Many thanks,

Marc.

--
Marc Van Dyck

Phil Richards

May 12, 2012, 2:07:41 PM5/12/12
On 12/05/2012 00:01, Marc Van Dyck wrote:
> We all know that international trains to and from Greece have
> been (temporarily?) cancelled.
>
> But what is the situation regarding domestic traffic ? On the lines
> where international trains used to run, are there still domestic
> trains available ? Or have they all been cancelled too ? Do we still
> have trains from Thessaloniki to Alexandropoulis and Idomeni ?

I don't think a lot has changed since the major cutbacks in early 2011.
The following link lists what closed & what is still running, page was
last updated 3 April 2012:

<http://egtre.info/wiki/Greece_-_General_Information#Recent_and_future_changes>

> Or have they all been cancelled too ? Do we still
> have trains from Thessaloniki to Alexandropoulis and Idomeni

As far as Serres on the line towards Alexandroupoulis and nothing on the
line towards the Macedonian border.

--
Phil Richards
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/philstephenrichards>

Nick Fotis

May 12, 2012, 2:51:25 PM5/12/12
On 12/05/2012 02:01, Marc Van Dyck wrote:
> We all know that international trains to and from Greece have
> been (temporarily?) cancelled.
>
> But what is the situation regarding domestic traffic ? On the lines
> where international trains used to run, are there still domestic
> trains available ? Or have they all been cancelled too ? Do we still
> have trains from Thessaloniki to Alexandropoulis and Idomeni ?

Look in http://tickets.trainose.gr for the current train offerings (in
Greek only, unfortunately).

The Athens-Thessaloniki route has trains every 1.5 hours (approximately).
Also, Thessaloniki-Edessa (western Macedonia region) has nearly a dozen
train pairs per day.
This doesn't include Thessaloniki-Larissa regional trains (approximately
every one hour, interleaved with the Athens-Thessaloniki trains)
Thessaloniki-Alexandroupolis has 2 train pairs per day.
The trains to Idomeni were only the international services (which were cut)
There are also trains between Athens-Chalkida and Athens-Kiato (nearly
every hour), plus trains connecting Athens-airport (both Athens Metro
and TRAINOSE).

In narrow gauge, there is Diakofto-Kalavryta (3-5 train pairs/day), and
a commuter service around Patras.

N.F.

Marc Van Dyck

May 13, 2012, 6:05:14 AM5/13/12
Nick Fotis presented the following explanation :
Which means that to go between Thessaloniji and Istanbul, it would
still be possible to go by train between Thessaloniki and
Alexandropoulis, then bus (if that exists) between Alexandropoulis and
Edirne, and then train from Edirne to Istanbul again ?

--
Marc Van Dyck

Nick Fotis

May 13, 2012, 10:29:21 AM5/13/12
On 13/05/2012 13:05, Marc Van Dyck wrote:
> Which means that to go between Thessaloniji and Istanbul, it would
> still be possible to go by train between Thessaloniki and
> Alexandropoulis, then bus (if that exists) between Alexandropoulis and
> Edirne, and then train from Edirne to Istanbul again ?

According to TRAINOSE site, there are three train pairs between
Alexandroupolis and Dikaia:

1682 (dep. 8:03, arr. 11:09)
1684 (dep. 14:42, arr. 17:48)
1686 (dep. 22:16, arr. 1:22)

Return workings mentioned are (Dikaia-Alexandroupolis):
1691 (dep. 4:26, arr. 7:34)
1683 (dep. 11:32, arr. 14:38)
1685 (dep. 18:22, arr. 21:28)

village Kastanies is the nearest place to Edirne, and probably the train
stops there (it's near Dikaia).
I do not know how easy is to cross from the D100 road into Turkey (never
tried that myself). Total distance from Google Earth seems to be nearly
7 km (1.5 hours of walk, not including border controls).
At worst, you could terminate at Dikaia and try to find a bus service to
Edirne (taxi probably would be very costly).

In the past, the typical way to cross from Greece to Turkey by rail was
either with the D490 (Friendship express) night trains that connected
Thessaloniki-Istanbul. Or, you would get the local train from Pythio to
Uzunköprü (usually, 1-2 TCDD wagons pulled by a diesel switcher, which
were attached to a train for Istanbul)

Hope this helps,
N.F.

Phil Richards

May 13, 2012, 12:59:34 PM5/13/12
On 12/05/2012 00:01, Marc Van Dyck wrote:
> We all know that international trains to and from Greece have
> been (temporarily?) cancelled.
>
> But what is the situation regarding domestic traffic ? On the lines
> where international trains used to run, are there still domestic
> trains available ? Or have they all been cancelled too ? Do we still
> have trains from Thessaloniki to Alexandropoulis and Idomeni ?

Of interest?

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18032721>

Arthur Figgis

May 13, 2012, 2:49:46 PM5/13/12
On 13/05/2012 11:05, Marc Van Dyck wrote:

> Which means that to go between Thessaloniji and Istanbul, it would
> still be possible to go by train between Thessaloniki and
> Alexandropoulis, then bus (if that exists) between Alexandropoulis and
> Edirne, and then train from Edirne to Istanbul again ?

Are trains actually running to Istanbul at the moment, or are they
replaced by buses for engineering works?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

EE507

Aug 8, 2012, 1:20:29 PM8/8/12
I see that Greek stations have been removed from the DB-HAFAS database. Is this temporary while awaiting up to date information from OSE?

If entering the country from Bulgaria or Macedonia, are there buses across the border or no public transport at all? Specifically Gevgelija - Idomeni and Kulata - Strimon, which are shown as open on my fairly old Cooks map?

By the way, Seat61 mentions a new weekly summer Skopje - Thessaloniki train, not that this is any use for my potential visit to the Pellopenese around 1 Sep...

Nick Fotis

Aug 8, 2012, 5:45:31 PM8/8/12
On 08/08/2012 20:20, EE507 wrote:
> I see that Greek stations have been removed from the DB-HAFAS database.
> Is this temporary while awaiting up to date information from OSE?

No idea. TRAINOSE still does not run international trains, so I suppose
that HAFAS decided to remove the Greek network from their site as well.

> If entering the country from Bulgaria or Macedonia, are there buses across the border or no public transport at all? Specifically Gevgelija - Idomeni and Kulata - Strimon, which are shown as open on my fairly old Cooks map?

No train available, so I suspect you will have to get a taxi in order to
get transported.
And there is no passenger train from Thessaloniki to Idomeni, so you
have to run all 65+ km to Thessaloniki. Only freight trains run along
this route.

> By the way, Seat61 mentions a new weekly summer Skopje - Thessaloniki train, not that this is any use for my potential visit to the Pellopenese around 1 Sep...

I think this is something like the Optima train, don't know many
details. If you want me to check timings, I will (but it is not very
useful).

Regards,
N.F.

Philip Richards

Aug 9, 2012, 2:14:08 PM8/9/12
On 08/08/2012 22:45, Nick Fotis wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 20:20, EE507 wrote:

>> If entering the country from Bulgaria or Macedonia, are there buses
>> across the border or no public transport at all? Specifically
>> Gevgelija - Idomeni and Kulata - Strimon, which are shown as open on
>> my fairly old Cooks map?
>
> No train available, so I suspect you will have to get a taxi in order to
> get transported.
> And there is no passenger train from Thessaloniki to Idomeni, so you
> have to run all 65+ km to Thessaloniki. Only freight trains run along
> this route.

Seat 61 is recommending to take a bus straight from Sofia to
Thessaloniki. Pointless taking a train to the last station in Bulgaria
then struggling across the border into Greece.

>> By the way, Seat61 mentions a new weekly summer Skopje - Thessaloniki
>> train, not that this is any use for my potential visit to the
>> Pellopenese around 1 Sep...
>
> I think this is something like the Optima train, don't know many
> details. If you want me to check timings, I will (but it is not very
> useful).

This was reported not to have ran last weekend. See:

<http://www.europebyrail.eu/cross-border-rail-service-to-greece-restored>

Appears OSE & MZ are blaming each other for the cancellation. Hardly
surprising as Greece isn't the best of friends with Macedonia ;-)

EE507

Aug 9, 2012, 2:14:57 PM8/9/12
I don't know what the Optima train is, but here are the details of the weekly train pair (with an update made yesterday):
http://www.europebyrail.eu/cross-border-rail-service-to-greece-restored

Philip Richards

Aug 9, 2012, 2:37:52 PM8/9/12
Optima is a car carrying train from Villach to Erdine in Turkey.
Guessing it is a private service with its own booking system, rolling
stock etc.

<http://www.optimatours.de/de/>

Not sure if this Skopje to Thessaloniki service is a regular train
changing crew/locos at the border with normal CIV tickets. But as we've
learned it may have died an early death :-(

Arthur Figgis

Aug 10, 2012, 3:55:02 PM8/10/12
On 09/08/2012 19:14, Philip Richards wrote:

> Pointless taking a train to the last station in Bulgaria
> then struggling across the border into Greece.

Heresy!

EE507

Aug 10, 2012, 5:38:48 PM8/10/12
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:45:31 PM UTC+2, Nick Fotis wrote:
> And there is no passenger train from Thessaloniki to Idomeni, so you
>
> have to run all 65+ km to Thessaloniki.

Is there a bus? Either run by OSE or by a private company?

A timetable would be very useful if you find one. Thanks.

tim.....

Aug 11, 2012, 3:47:44 AM8/11/12
"EE507" wrote in message

Not sure what it is that you want exactly

But times from Sofia can be found here

http://tis.centralnaavtogara.bg/index.php?page=13#

and for Skopje here

http://www.sas.com.mk./ (though you have to be able to read Macedonian as
translating results in a 404 error)

tim

Nick Fotis

Aug 11, 2012, 6:25:07 PM8/11/12
On 09/08/2012 21:14, Philip Richards wrote:
> This was reported not to have ran last weekend. See:
>
> <http://www.europebyrail.eu/cross-border-rail-service-to-greece-restored>
>
> Appears OSE & MZ are blaming each other for the cancellation. Hardly
> surprising as Greece isn't the best of friends with Macedonia ;-)

There was a major derailment near Polıkastro (probably by rail kinks, as
the temperatures reached 40 degrees Celsius), with the electric
locomotive and some freight wagons derailed and damaging catenary in the
process.

N.F.

Ulf Kutzner

Mar 1, 2023, 6:22:20 AM3/1/23
Nick Fotis schrieb am Samstag, 12. Mai 2012 um 20:51:25 UTC+2:

> The Athens-Thessaloniki route has trains every 1.5 hours (approximately).
> Also, Thessaloniki-Edessa (western Macedonia region) has nearly a dozen
> train pairs per day.
> This doesn't include Thessaloniki-Larissa regional trains (approximately
> every one hour, interleaved with the Athens-Thessaloniki trains)
> Thessaloniki-Alexandroupolis has 2 train pairs per day.

Very bad news, intercity vs. freight train on one of the two tracks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempi_train_crash