The Ohio toxic train wreck was '100% preventable' but there's no evidence the crew did anything wrong, investigators say

Biden's USA

Feb 23, 2023, 10:31:35 PM2/23/23
The operator of the train tried to stop the 38 cars after an alert sounded
due to an overheated wheel bearing, NTSB officials said.

(CNN) -- Federal investigators released a spate of new details Thursday
about the fiery train derailment that spewed toxic chemicals and wreaked
havoc in East Palestine, Ohio.

The initial fire started Feb. 3 when a Norfolk Southern rail car carrying
plastic pellets was heated by a hot axle, said Jennifer Homendy, chair of
the National Transportation Safety Board.

The temperature of the bearing increased as the train passed two wayside
defect detectors -- but it wasn't high enough to trigger an audible alarm
message until it passed a third detector, Homendy said.

She said the threshold for those detectors is set by the railroad.
Investigators have not identified any track defects nor issues with the
wayside defect detectors, Homendy said.

A total of 38 train cars derailed in East Palestine, near the Ohio-
Pennsylvania border. They included "11 tank cars carrying hazardous
materials that subsequently ignited, fueling fires" that damaged a dozen
cars that didn't derail, the NTSB said in a preliminary report Thursday.

Five of those derailed train cars were carrying 115,580 gallons of vinyl
chloride, according to the report. Vinyl chloride can increase the risk of
cancer and is highly flammable.

Those five cars "continued to concern authorities because the temperature
inside one tank car was still rising," indicating a polymerization
reaction which could result in an explosion, the report said. To help
prevent a deadly explosion of vinyl chloride, crews released the toxic
chemical into a trench and burned it off three days after the derailment.

The new revelations came after residents who have reported health problems
since the toxic train wreck lambasted Norfolk Southern's CEO and after
calls for Norfolk Southern to buy the homes of residents who don't feel
safe.

Among the other details in the NTSB's initial report:

• While no cause of the derailment has been released, investigators are
focusing on one car's wheel set and bearing. Video of the train before the
derailment showed what appeared to be an overheated wheel bearing, the
report said. Footage showed sparks flying from underneath the train.

• One wheel bearing's temperature reached a "critical" level -- 253
degrees Fahrenheit above the ambient temperature -- and prompted an
audible alarm that instructed "the crew to slow and stop the train to
inspect a hot axle," the report says.

• The train's engineer applied the train's brakes and additional braking
after the alert of an overheating axle, the reports states.

View the full NTSB press conference:

https://youtu.be/nPOq5XwLWZg

The derailment was "100% preventable," Homendy said. "We call things
accidents -- there is no accident. Every single event that we investigate
is preventable."

But she said there is no evidence the train's crew "did anything wrong."

The engineer was already braking to slow down behind another train. So
when the alarm sounded, he responded "immediately" and increased the brake
application, Homendy said.

"During this deceleration, the wheel bearing failed," she said. "Car 23
derailed, and the train initiated an emergency brake application and came
to a stop."

Shortly before the NTSB released the new details, members of the agency
met with U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg as he toured East
Palestine for the first time since the disaster.

Train slowed dramatically before derailment
The train slowed dramatically after the first signs of the potential wheel
bearing overheat appeared on surveillance video -- about 21 miles before
it derailed, according to a new CNN analysis of surveillance video and
Department of Transportation documents.

The train had been traveling at an average speed of 49 miles per hour
between Alliance, Ohio, and Salem, Ohio -- but then slowed down to nearly
half that speed between Salem and East Palestine.

CNN calculated the train's average speed by using surveillance video time
stamps that showed the train's positions at specific points on the track.

The slowdown was well below the "typical speed range" for a train
traveling along that stretch of track, according to documents filed in
2020 with the Federal Railroad Administration.

It's unclear what prompted that dramatic slowdown. CNN reached out to
Norfolk Southern but did not immediately receive a response.

Norfolk Southern should consider buying worried residents' homes, official
says
Ohio officials have repeatedly said air quality and municipal water tests
in East Palestine show no dangerous levels of chemicals.

But residents worry about potential health effects, and some have reported
bloody noses, burning throats, nausea, headaches and vomiting since the
toxic wreck.

Ohio Lt. Gov. Jon Husted said Norfolk Southern -- which reported a record-
setting operating profit of $4.8 billion last year -- "should consider
buying property of people who may not feel safe or would want to relocate
as a result of the spill."

Husted told CNN on Thursday that findings from the NTSB investigation
"could be the basis for a criminal referral."

Across the border in Pennsylvania -- where some residents were also
ordered to evacuate -- the state attorney general's office is already
looking into a criminal referral against Norfolk Southern, at the request
of state environmental officials.

"Pennsylvanians have a constitutional right to clean air and pure water,
and we will not hesitate to hold anyone or any company responsible for
environmental crimes in our Commonwealth," the attorney general's office
said.

Norfolk Southern spokesperson Katie Byrd declined to comment specifically
on the criminal referral.

"I think our actions to work with local, state, and federal leaders from
the beginning, support the community, and lead on environmental
remediation speak for themselves for the moment," Byrd said in an email to
CNN.

'Your company stinks'
East Palestine residents -- including some who have reported health
problems since the disaster -- vented their frustration at government
officials and Norfolk Southern.

"Your company stinks," resident Jim Stewart told Norfolk Southern CEO Alan
Shaw during a CNN town hall Wednesday night.

Stewart, who has lived in East Palestine for more than six decades, said
the wreck torched his dreams of retiring soon and selling his house. He
said he worries about the home's value now and is afraid to take his dog
out because of a strong stench lingering in the air.

The EPA said testing shows the air and municipal water in East Palestine
are safe. But some residents aren't convinced.

"I don't feel safe because I don't know what the future holds for my
town," lifelong resident Jessica Conard said. "This has the potential to
really decimate a small town like us."

Bloody noses, nausea, emergency room visits
Courtney Newman, a mother and teacher in East Palestine, said since her
family returned home, her son has had "bloody noses every day," and she
has had "skin issues."

Another resident, Josh Hickman, said he is still staying at a hotel as he
doesn't feel safe returning home, but he's had to come into the village a
few times and experienced symptoms including headaches, dizziness and
blood from his nose -- and on Tuesday, sought treatment at the emergency
room.

A third resident reported eyes burning, headaches and vomiting since the
derailment.

In addition to vinyl chloride, chemicals of concern at the site include
phosgene and hydrogen chloride, which are released when vinyl chloride
breaks down; butyl acrylate; ethylene glycol monobutyl ether acetate; and
2-ethylhexyl acrylate, according to the EPA. All these chemicals can
change when they break down or react with other things in the environment,
creating a stew of potential toxins.

"We're getting everything we need, except answers," East Palestine Mayor
Trent Conaway said Wednesday. "We need answers, as far as the health
concerns."

During the town hall, Ohio's governor stressed he did not want to minimize
any medical issues potentially linked to the derailment, saying that's the
reason he requested medical experts to the community.

Medical teams from the U.S. Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention
and the US Department of Health and Human Services will also be on the
ground this week at Gov. Mike DeWine's request, he said Friday.

The state opened a health assessment clinic Tuesday for residents who
worry their symptoms could be linked to the wreck. The clinic includes
nurses, toxicologists and mental health professionals, and can provide
residents with referrals if needed, according to the Ohio Department of
Health.

What Norfolk Southern is now required to do
Despite repeated questions from frustrated residents, Shaw, the CEO of
Norfolk Southern, declined to answer questions regarding the wreck
investigation and details about what may have caused the derailment,
saying he was "prohibited" from talking about the probe.

"I'm terribly sorry that this has happened to this community," he said.
"What I can do, and what I will do, is make it right."

"We're going to get the cleanup right, we're going to reimburse the
citizens, we're going to invest in the long term health of this
community," Shaw said. "I'm going to see this through, and we're going to
be here. And we're going to work with these community leaders to help you
thrive."

"We're looking for ideas from the community on where we can help," he
added.

Norfolk Southern has been ordered by the EPA to fully clean up the wreck -
- or face expensive consequences.

"EPA has special authority for situations just like this where we can
compel companies who inflict trauma and cause environmental and health
damage to communities, like Norfolk Southern has done, to completely clean
up the messed that they've caused and pay for it," administrator Michael
Regan said.

According to Regan, Norfolk Southern will be required to:

provide a descriptive work plan on how they plan to clean up the water,
soil and debris,
reimburse the EPA for providing residents a cleaning service of their
homes and businesses,
show up to public meetings and explain their progress.
"If Norfolk Southern decides that they don't want to follow the order, EPA
will step in, so that there's no break in service, perform these duties,
while fining the company up to $70,000 a day and then we'll recoup our
cost on the back end," Regan said during the town hall. "And the law gives
us the authority to charge Norfolk Southern up to three times the amount
that the cleanup will cost us."

As cleanup continues, residents remain skeptical
The ongoing cleanup efforts at the derailment site include removing
contaminated soil and water from under the railroad tracks.

The contaminated soil became a point of contention last week after a
public document sent to the EPA on February 10 did not list soil removal
among completed cleanup activities. It is not yet known what significance
or impact the soil that was not removed before the railroad reopened on
February 8 will have had on the surrounding areas.

DeWine said 4,588 cubic yards of soil and 1.1 million gallons of
contaminated water have been removed so far from East Palestine. The
railroad tracks will also be taken up so that the soil can be removed, the
governor has said.

In a Wednesday update, DeWine reiterated test results showed water coming
from East Palestine's municipal system was safe to drink, but said
officials will continue testing the water weekly to ensure it remains
clean.

Health authorities have also tested water from at least 74 private wells
and those results are pending. Residents who get their water from private
wells -- which may be closer to the surface than municipal wells -- should
continue drinking bottled water until they receive their test results, the
governor said.

But some residents remain hesitant to believe what they've been told.

"Since I (got) home from evacuating, I'm still not using the water because
I never know if ... they're telling the truth or it's a lie," resident
Nene Stewart said during the town hall. "I use bottled water. I can't. I'm
not trusting what they're saying. I don't know who's telling the truth."

The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2023 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery
Company. All rights reserved.

<https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/ntsb-report-released-on-
ohio-toxic-train-wreck/1487952>

Yak

Feb 24, 2023, 8:01:44 AM2/24/23
On 2/24/23 5:38 AM, super70s wrote:
> In article <tt9b2l$fnb$2...@toxic.dizum.net>,
> "Biden's USA" <train...@biden.com> wrote:
>
>> The derailment was "100% preventable," Homendy said. "We call things
>> accidents -- there is no accident. Every single event that we investigate
>> is preventable.
>
> That's right and FYI railway regulations were rolled back under Trump's
> USA.

Which had no impact on this derailment.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Feb 24, 2023, 8:48:06 AM2/24/23
On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 04:38:04 -0600, super70s
<supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>In article <tt9b2l$fnb$2...@toxic.dizum.net>,
> "Biden's USA" <train...@biden.com> wrote:
>
>> The derailment was "100% preventable," Homendy said. "We call things
>> accidents -- there is no accident. Every single event that we investigate
>> is preventable.
>
>That's right and FYI railway regulations were rolled back under Trump's
>USA.

Laugh laugh laugh laugh.

Tell us all how this caused the bad bearing.

Right here ---->

The derailment of a freight train in East Palestine, Ohio, involved an
overheated wheel bearing
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2361101-ohio-train-derailment-investigators-outline-facts-of-the-accident/

Governor Swill

Feb 24, 2023, 11:20:15 AM2/24/23
Nobody noticed it before? Are cars and other equipment not inspected periodically? I
read about this as well. The railroad needs to review it's standards. Waiting until a
wheel bearing is hot enough to cook a roast is not a good idea.

Swill
--
Welcome to reality. Enjoy your visit!

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Klaus Schadenfreude

Feb 24, 2023, 12:00:03 PM2/24/23
On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 11:20:12 -0500, Governor Swill
<governo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 05:48:04 -0800, Klaus Schadenfreude
><klaus.schadenfreude.löschen.@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 04:38:04 -0600, super70s
>><supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>>>That's right and FYI railway regulations were rolled back under Trump's
>>>USA.
>>
>>Laugh laugh laugh laugh.
>>
>>Tell us all how this caused the bad bearing.
>>
>>Right here ---->
>>
>>The derailment of a freight train in East Palestine, Ohio, involved an
>>overheated wheel bearing
>>https://www.newscientist.com/article/2361101-ohio-train-derailment-investigators-outline-facts-of-the-accident/
>
>Nobody noticed it before? Are cars and other equipment not inspected periodically? I
>read about this as well. The railroad needs to review it's standards. Waiting until a
>wheel bearing is hot enough to cook a roast is not a good idea.

They have heat sensors alongside the railroad. Sounds like they
ignored it until it was too late.

Governor Swill

Feb 24, 2023, 1:14:03 PM2/24/23
On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 08:59:53 -0800, Klaus Schadenfreude
Exactly. They were getting rising readings but these were ignored. The train wasn't
stopped until *after* the critical temperature was read. It should have been stopped long
before then.