Street Atlas 9.0 colors

John Wilson

Jan 21, 2002, 12:16:19 PM1/21/02
Has anybody had any success changing the colors printed by deLorme's
Street Atlas 9.0? There are two problems:

Railroads print as light gray lines; for our purposes they should be
black and obvious

The page prints with a yellow background in populated areas, using up
yellow ink at an unacceptable rate.

I succeeded in controlling screen colors by editing color.clr in the SA9
program directory. There's a file paintjet.clr that, as supplied,
includes a line setting the "land tint" to white, and indeed, the
general land background displays as light yellow on the screen but
prints white. I tried making the other changes in paintjet.clr that
should fix the two print colors problems, but still get gray railroads
and yellow cities. DeLorme was completely unhelpful; they just told me I
couldn't change the colors. This is wrong, at least as far as the screen
colors are concerned; color.clr gives you complete control of the screen
colors.

Any ideas?

73,
JohnW

Vubast

Jan 21, 2002, 1:10:49 PM1/21/02
The other problem with Street Atlas 9.0 is that it does not show most RR
terminals or stops, although it tries (rather confusingly) to show bus stops.
For example, if you pull up the map for Sacramento 95814, there is no clue a
historic, very busy terminal for the Capitols, San Joaquins and the Cal. Zephyr
is at 4th and I streets, where it has stood since the 1`920's.
"Dan I Ain't"

Knightstalker

Jan 21, 2002, 9:15:48 PM1/21/02
I still have the 6.0.

Does the 8.0 and 9.0 have a VIEW --- MAP FEATURES button any more? If
so you can uncheck the Bdys/Urbans box and it will remove the yellow
highlights on viewed and printed maps.

Any such luck?

Jack

"John Wilson" <wilso...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Michael J. Albanese

Jan 23, 2002, 12:37:56 AM1/23/02
Knightstalker wrote:
> I still have the 6.0.

After reading this thread, I reckon I'm going to have to decide to
start thinking about the possibility of upgrading. I mean, well...I'm
still running version 2.0 (!)

I've put it off so long due to my fear that they've probably updated
the maps to be more useful to -today's- traveler, and I mostly use
mine for hiking and history. For example, my old version shows a
local PRR branch that was abandoned prior to WWII. The map has the
tracks still in and labeled "Conrail" :-)

I'd hate to lose that stuff -- it's been good for lots of "what if"
daydreaming sessions.

Mike

--
(remove 'revoke-my-' from address for email)

John Wilson

Jan 23, 2002, 1:00:53 AM1/23/02
Pearce Moffat wrote:

> In article <3C4C4CFF...@attbi.com>, wilso...@attbi.com says...

> > Has anybody had any success changing the colors printed by deLorme's
> > Street Atlas 9.0? There are two problems:
> >
> > Railroads print as light gray lines; for our purposes they should be
> > black and obvious
> >
> > The page prints with a yellow background in populated areas, using up
> > yellow ink at an unacceptable rate.
> >
> > I succeeded in controlling screen colors by editing color.clr in the SA9
> > program directory. There's a file paintjet.clr that, as supplied,
> > includes a line setting the "land tint" to white, and indeed, the
> > general land background displays as light yellow on the screen but

> > Any ideas?
> >

> Huh. SA9 'Deluxe' doesn't have those files.

That's true. SA9 Deluxe's screens and printed output were so ugly and the
lack of backward compatibility with SA8 and before bogotified it so
thoroughly that I sent it back for a refund, and got SA9 non-deluxe instead.
SA9 Deluxe is a sidegrade at best.

> SA8 on the notebook does. I
> seem to remember that the rail color is item 15 in *.CLR. Here's what I
> changed to:
>
> COLOR.CLR, PAINTJET.CLR & NAV.CLR
>
> 15 0 0 0 mid_grey Railroad

Been there, done that. It works on the screen, but the color printer still
insists on gray railroads and yellow city areas.

73,
JohnW