[Dump Newsom...] California mayor balks at decision to give Mexican students in-state college tuition

Leroy N. Soetoro

Oct 21, 2023, 5:03:06 PM10/21/23
https://news.yahoo.com/california-mayor-balks-decision-mexican-
001503404.html

SAN DIEGO (Border Report) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday signed
Assembly Bill 91 into law, clearing the way for Mexican students who live
within 45 miles of the border to pay in-state tuition at community
colleges in San Diego and Imperial Counties.

The bill was first introduced by Assemblyman David Alvarez earlier this
year.

“We live in a dynamic border region where we need to educate more students
to fill the jobs required for growth,” said Alvarez. “This bill will allow
low-income residents who live close to the border to attend local
community colleges.”

Zaneta Encarnacion, chief of staff at Southwestern Community College in
Chula Vista, California, said students from Mexico who qualify for the
program will pay around $1,400 in tuition instead of the roughly $6,000
they would normally pay.

“Before this bill, you’d pay triple the amount of tuition that you would
end up paying if you were in-state. So, a student 10 miles south of us
would be paying much more than a student 10 miles north of us,” she said.
“That’s not fair to our economy and not fair to these students who are
trying to pursue their education.”

Encarnacion says expanding affordable access to our region’s community
colleges will increase the region’s workforce and contribute to the
economy on both sides of the border.

“We are a binational region where people live, work, contribute on both
sides of the border,” she said. “We need to be able to remove barriers for
students so they have the ability to stay in college, seek higher
education and to really be part of this thriving binational region we
have.”

Encarnacion told Border Report it’s hard to say how many students enrolled
at Southwestern College are from Tijuana.

“Currently we only have self-reporting data, the last survey was in 2018
and 800 students reported themselves as living in Tijuana,” said
Encarnacion. “So this is going to give us an opportunity to have a better
tracking and reporting system.”

But not everyone is happy with the idea, including El Cajon Mayor Bill
Wells.

“This is emblematic of a growing pattern in our county, state, and
country, where the needs of U.S. citizens are being disregarded,” Wells
said in a statement. “The state of California extends in-state tuition
benefits to individuals from Mexico — the message is abundantly clear to
all Americans: many politicians seem to be out of touch with the people
they represent.”

El Cajon is a city in eastern San Diego County with about 103,000
residents.

California in-state tuition will be available to students from Northern
Baja for five years. At that point, the program will be re-evaluated.

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.